9.0

1. Aug 27, 2010
    This is probably one of the most amazing games I've played, for a ps2 the scale and graphics are amazing. And the story line is superb, the reason why some people don't like this game is because its "not to date". Y a its from 2005 its 5 years old the graphics weren't that great. The boss fights are different from any other game I've played is a must have for adventure action fans. Also some people didn't give this a good score because their dumb and didn't bother to play the whole way though and stopped at the second colossi. Expand
  2. Dec 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the most artistic games of all time. People giving it a low score seem to miss the point of the game; it wasn't supposed to be an ARPG with tons of enemies to fight everywhere and some kind of leveling system. The game never even claimed to be that so I don't know why people are rating it as such. But it's quite ironic because for what the gameplay DOES do it is a very solid gameplay system. Climbing up on the giant enemies and finding their weak points works very well and it's a lot of fun. It is also a very unique concept; something we truly haven't seen before this. But again, even though this is a new concept and done very well, it's not what the game is about. The reason there are no enemies when traveling from colossus to colossus is the game is giving you time to think. It gives you time to question what Wander, the silent protagonist is doing, and whether or not he is justified. To be more specific, he is trying to resurrect his love, and is told by a mysterious, and possibly malevolent force that if he rids the land of 16 giant creatures, she will be brought back to life. The game wasn't about keeping us superficially entertained by providing creatures to kill on the way from point A to point B, it was about trying to get us to THINK. So few modern games do that so I don't see why people criticize this game. Do we really just want a bunch of tired old FPS rehash? Expand
  3. Aug 25, 2010
    Shadow of the Colossus Every 'Art game' made from now on will have been inspired by this true masterpiece.
  4. Oct 15, 2010
    Simply a fantastic game. If you have a PS2, you have no excuse to not have, in the very least, play this game. Surprisingly intricate narrative coupled with epic battles and one of the saddest endings I've ever seen in a game. It's not perfect however. Controls can be a bit unresponsive during battles (especially during heavy lag sequences) and the camera can be difficult to maneuver. Aggro can be frustrating while searching for colossi. Otherwise, thoroughly enjoyable game, would play again. Expand
  5. Oct 12, 2010
    Shadow of the Colossus is a game; not only beautiful, engaging, and emotional, but legendary. It goes down in history with games such as Mario and Legend of Zelda. This adventure game may not have small enemies to kill, but it has 30 story tall beasts to slay. The graphics are amazing for a PS2 game, the gameplay controls are smooth, and the music and sounds are phenomenal. If you have a PS2, and this is not in your collection, get it. Now. Expand
  6. Dec 21, 2010
    the feeling that this game gives you while you are playing it is just beautifull one of the greatest games of all time simply art of the modern era, a must have for the people who wants new concepts in gaming.
  7. Jan 16, 2011
    This game is absolutely beautiful. No other game has quite done what SOTC has, with its inelligent sense of puzzle solving and original art style. The gameplay is definitely satisfying with each success of defeating each colossus. On top of that, the game has become a master of telling a heartfelt and exciting story with minimal dialog. There are however a few minor problems. For instance, it can be quite irritating to mount your horse in a hurry, causing your character to jump around violently around your horse. Also, each battle is a puzzle with very vague instruction on how to accomplish it. These defects, however, are dwarfed by the overwhelming positive attributes found throughout the rest of the game. In all, this game is a colossal work of art within itself. Expand
  8. Mar 30, 2011
    Probably the most important game to spearhead the "games as art" argument (as absurd as even considering the inverse is), and for good reason: It's beautiful, fun, profound, and deeply awe-inspiring. Picking this game up for 20 bucks when I was 17 and exploring the quiet forests canyons deserts and plains with Wander and Agro was one of the most substantial highlights I've had in my life as a gamer. Expand
  9. Jul 15, 2012
    I just have to say. Missredone you must be a fat girl. Or ugly. I DARE you to post a picture of yourself somewhere. Go Barbies dream ride. Figures, coming from a post from 2012. This game was released in 2005. This game was epic for its time and still is. If you dont like it fine. But at least give a legit reason. You wont be able to find one, NO OTHER GAME is like it. That's what makes it epic.
  10. May 17, 2011
    Ok, there are a lot of people who are really upset with this game and there are a lot of people who really, really enjoyed it. For those of you who are thinking of whether or not you are going to buy it, I'm going to try and sum up some of the major aspects that make this game great, but also where this game falls short. First of all the good: 1.) When this game came out in 2005, the graphics were top of the line. When it comes to the huge open environment with no loading times running from place to place, this game was simply amazing for 2005. No one can argue against this. 2.) The game is simple. You've got your sword, and a bow. No clamoring through item screens, no messy menu systems, just a quick button to switch between them. Some people may not like this, but we'll get to that. 3.) The boss fights are superb. Shadow of the Colossus is basically like 16 Zelda-esque boss fights all concentrated into one game. They get more and more creative as you move through the game, and are never disappointing. You can really get the chills when a 100 meter tall giant is swinging a club at you the size of the empire state building. ...Now, for the bad... 1.) The camera and horse riding is a little messy. Sometimes the horse wont quite do what you want. Say you order him to slow down because you coming up to the grand canyon. He might just keep running like he doesn't have a care in the world. Don't worry, he will stop. I have never fallen off a cliff on a horse. Also, the targeting system used when fighting the colossi can be a little awkward. if you want to look at the colossus with the targeting system, the camera zooms up real close on our hero, right on his hip, and looks at the monster's mid section. if your running away from the colossus, this means that you can't quite see where you are running to. This VERY rarely matters, because you usually have a lot of space to use, but it can be annoying. Also, when you aren't targeting the camera can be a little annoying swaying around looking at what you might not want to look at. Don't let minor control issues ruin the game for you. When you target the colossi it actually looks pretty cinematic. Also, when you run it looks like your legs are made out of Stretch Armstrong's. Should you be mad about it? No, probably not. 2.) It's a simple game. This can be a good thing or a bad thing. It's really about personal preference. Storyline? Basically, there isn't one. Tons of weapons and character customization? You get two weapons. But hey, that's part of what makes this game so great. It lets your imagination run the story. You don't really know what happened to the pretty girl, or why you have a bad ass sword, or why killing a bunch of giants will bring her back, or why they all seem to be filled with pressurized black ink. This game is very enigmatic that way. If you don't like that type of thing, and are looking for a story, try playing final fantasy or metal gear or something. Otherwise, I give this game a 9/10. Its a great game. It's not perfect, but that's what the 10/10 space is for. If you are in the mood for some visually pleasing, brain busting boss fights, buy this game. If not, don't buy this game.
    -ILL
  11. May 22, 2011
    This is the closest gaming has ever come to art EVER! It truly is a beautiful game. If you only like shooting people in the face, this game is not for you, go ahead...give this game a zero. As for everyone else, This game is breath of fresh air, which you will not want to stop breathing. Get the ICO & SoTC combo on the Ps3. Gaming history is not without this game.
  12. Sep 19, 2011
    This game is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Between the majestic scenery and the practically limitless free expanse, there is an almost ethereal presence to its art. It's pure magic.
  13. Jun 30, 2011
    I was absaloutely shocked when i first played this game. the graphics were years ahead of the competition. The first colossus is a real shock to the system and they keep getting better. The minimalist style gives the game a stunning atmosphere, quickly attaching you to your only companion Argo. The immense landscape and ruins leave the gamer to envision what could have happened to turn the land into this blasted dustbowl scattered with the ruins of a long dead civilisation. The slaying of each colossi is an epic battle, ones which you will remember. I do not wish to spoil anything so I shall go into no detail on what happens. But i will say this: It is one of the greatest end sequences I have ever seen in book, film or game. Shadow of the Colossus is not a game. Its a journey. It takes you from the euphoria of victory, to thoughtful melancholy and even to the brink of tears. It is the most beautiful game I have ever played. It stands justified as a work of art. It is without a doubt one of the greatest games ever made. Expand
  14. 4DI
    Nov 18, 2012
    This game is colossal in every way imaginable. From the amazing art style, to the calm and epic soundtrack. Shadow of the Colossus shines, not only as a game, but as a work of art!
  15. Nov 19, 2010
    This game changed lives with the deep meaning and sadness put behind it. AMAZING graphics and a story that will break your heart. Exploration is a little annoying at times though. I feel jealous for those who havnt played it. I would give a lot to play it for the first time again.
  16. Feb 24, 2014
    This is more than a game... it's an artistic masterpiece. The games epicness and beauty is astonishing. It's a perfect balance of adventure, action and puzzle game all in one.

If you consider yourself a gamer but never played Shadow of the Colussus... do yourself a favor and get ahold of this ASAP!
  17. Sep 26, 2010
    Simply put, Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite games of all time. I recommend it to anyone who can enjoy a highly focused, uncluttered, and slower paced game.

So much good has already been said about Shadow of the Colossus I won't reiterate it, instead I am going to focus on the criticisms I've been reading in the reviews.

If you just cannot begin to understand why people rave
    about the story.... please, finish the game first. I think 70% of the story is conveyed *after* the fall of the final colossus. For me, the ending sequence propelled this game from great to awesome. It explains so much and ties it together very well. Is it going to tell you everything? No. That is just the style of storytelling Team ICO uses, and they use it quite masterfully.

First three words, in the introduction, form the manual: "in an undisturbed land." It is an element of the plot, there is a reason there is NOTHING around save for some birds and lizards--nothing is supposed to be there. Yes, grasslands are pretty boring, but you know what, they are pretty boring in real life too. The forest areas are genuinely beautiful, and there is more to the world than just the plains.

This game pushes the PS2 to its absolute limits. I've seen effects that I didn't even know where technically possible on the system and the uninterrupted size of the world is very impressive. As a result, the frame rate does drop noticeably in certain areas, a minor price to pay.

I never had issues with the controls of Wander (the hero) although there were definitely times the camera wouldn't stay where I wanted, but overall calling the controls bad is a gross overstatement. What about the horseback riding? Well...

Agro (the horse) really is a living breathing character in the game. He is a part of this story, and in this game he is not your character. You are ALWAYS in control of the hero, Wander, who is RIDING Agro. Agro is not just some neat-looking speed-boost for your character. Try to run him off a cliff and he will turn, stop, snort in defiance, whinny out of disagreement, and refuse, just like a real horse would. Are the controls the easiest or simplest? No, but I have ridden horses before, and I will tell you they are absolutely the most convincing I have ever seen. In some way it also makes those long rides searching out the Colossi more engaging, if all I had to do was "push forward" to walk just like normal, but faster, it would have been a much more boring journey. I applaud the designers for not taking the easy route and obviously closely studying the behaviors between horse and rider.

This game is about adventure and problem solving, e.g. puzzles. It is NOT an RPG, it is NOT a hack-n-slash, it is NOT an action game. Figuring out how to take down each Colossus given just yourself, a bow, and a sword is the whole point. It is about improvisation and resourcefulness. Some fights with the Colossi are just epic, and are really how boss fights should be. Instead of "how many times do I swing and/or cast this spell until he dies?"

Overall I found Shadow of the Colossus to be a much more engrossing and enjoyable experience than something like God of War could ever be. God of War relies heavily on genre standards; I've lost count of how many collect the red/blue/green orb action games there are now. GoW provided a very solid game and threw in hefty doses of sex and over-the-top violence to make it stand out from the crowed, and it succeeded.

Shadow of the Colossus instead tries to be unique in its design and presentation, appealing to a very different tastes, and it succeeds beautifully.
  18. Apr 27, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = I don't know who gave this game an 8, but this artistic masterpiece should not be ignored! One of the greatest games ever made . . . EVER!!
  19. Jun 12, 2013
    A spiritual sequel to the unique Ico debate still rages as to which is the better game. All I will say is that both are unlike any other video game ever created.

Trying to explain what makes Shadow of the Colossus such a fantastic experience is difficult as it really is a game that needs to be played to be fully appreciated. Much like its predecessor a minimalist approach has been
    taken to proceedings creating an almost overwhelming atmosphere of calm isolation.

The gameplay itself basically boils down to sixteen boss battles against the Colossi themselves with only a short introduction hinting at the reason for this undertaking. With no enemies in between these battles the game was always going to live or die by the quality of these encounters. Thankfully every one is truly awe inspiring and each provides a unique challenge that requires a bit of thought to complete. Aside from a sword and bow your only companion of this quest is your horse Agro and he often plays a vital role throughout the game. Realistically animated and intelligent enough to traverse the landscape by himself you really come to care for him as the game reaches its conclusion.

Shadow of the Colossus is a true masterpiece and as close as gaming can come to an art form. You can't call yourself a true video game fan until you've played it.
  20. Jul 26, 2013
    Shadow of the Colossus is one of the best games in the 6th generation. Offering a new unique style to both gameplay and gives a new direction where art is the new form of storytelling to this amazing epic. With both music and the amazing beauty of the art mixed together well the player will understand clearly how in depth they can be with the protagonist of the game, of his journey and his goal to save his maiden. The game also ends with a twist and offers replay value you wouldnt normally see in a game like this in the form of a new game+ and adds a new time challenge which will reward you for completing the tough challenges. This game is an amazing legendary classic in which all fans of adventure games will surely enjoy! Expand
  21. Dec 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Shadow Of The Colossus is by far the most amazing game anybody can experience. It combines the video game genre with art splendidly to create a vast and desolate landscape where only you,your horse and the colossi roam. First off is the hero of the story or should I say anti-hero. Your goal is to revive a dead girl called Mono by slaying sixteen colossi. Your hero does that without question obviously for love. He has only two weapons. His bow and arrow and the ancient sword that is the only thing capable of killing the colossal creatures. From the start of the game you can see that the hero called Wander is skilled with a bow in every way. He can shoot it anywhere including on his horse which can take years to normally master and he can even stand up on his horse and fire it. Then there is the sword. He is no swordsman due to his clumsiness at swinging it around and the fact that he stumbles most of the time when using it. The only reason he even has that sword is because he needs it to kill the creatures otherwise he wouldn't have it there but it doesn't matter as every hero has a flaw with skills and the sword is Wander's flaw. He seems very determined even when faced with the biggest of colossi.
    His horse,Agro,is amazingly detailed and puts Epona from TLOZ series in the bin. Agro does everything a normal horse does. She grazes and nuzzles Wander. She seemed to hate the colossi slaying idea from the start and it is apparent but she goes on all for you and she even sacrifices herself for you. Talk about loyalty.
    The Colossi themselves are amazingly brilliant. They look like art but they can pack a punch and wallop you down if your not careful. All of them are based on different animals and objects and they all have different personality's. Some of them hunt you down viciously and do actually want you dead and then there are some who just want to be left alone or don't mind you until you start stabbing them in their weak-point. Some of them fly while others swim and some burrow through the ground and it is all done in such a spectacular fashion. The real problem for you is the fact that in video games you just kill what's in front of you but you don't think about the consequences. Dormin,the God that sends you on this quest,says that the price you pay will be heavy but you don't care yet every time you kill a colossus you are destroying your humanity and committing a crime. You see it as one step closer to saving Mono but the colossi and anyone else sees it as murder. The problem is you actually have to kill these beasts as there is no game otherwise which means you are forced to kill them even if they don't attack you. Then as you deliver the blows you get sprayed with black blood that stains your clothes and then you have to watch the colossi die. The 13th colossus didn't attack you in any way yet you kill it and because it's the most peaceful it means you get to watch it die for 24 seconds and all the others as well. They even moan like an actual dying person giving you a sense of guilt.
    The landscape on this game is so detailed. It's worth buying the game just to ride around on your horse to find the next colossus. There are deserts,forests,caves,cities,temples,rivers,lakes,barren and dry lands and waterfalls all for you to explore from the very beginning. There are fruits and lizards that you can kill to fill up your health bar and grip meter and even an eagle that you can grab onto and ride. There is just so much beauty in everything put into this game that you could put it in a museum and as you ride past on your horse it is such a breathtaking moment that you forget everything to see the view. But because the land is so vast and the colossi take time to get to it means you can just think and discover more about yourself and think about what your doing. It raises questions. Is it worth it? Do these innocent creatures deserve to die? Am I doing the right thing? You can get quite lost in your thoughts. The plot of the game is small yet if you look in the detail on Wander after each colossus you will notice something that links to the plot. Wander is going from a young and healthy man to looking like a corpse.
    Meanwhile Mono is looking healthier by each death. When you reach the last colossus you have dark black hair and stains all over your clothes and face and you lost your horse. Could Agro's sacrifice be for nothing? Then when its all over you go back to the temple and the most emotional and the most gutting ending starts. Was it all for nothing or did Mono live? You have to play it to find out.
    Last but not least is the music. There is a wide variety of music to listen to from the slow silence to the action packed colossus battle music. It puts Lord of the rings Music to shame and that is saying something. If you have not got this game I recommend that you buy it and play it as it is one of the best PS2 games ever and even one of the best games in general ever.
  22. May 25, 2013
    What justifies a big game to you? A long completion time, lots of extra side missions, extensive multiplayer? Well Shadow of the Colossus is the biggest game I have ever played by making me, the player, feel small and weak compared to the behemoths you are expected to slay.
    You are Wander, a warrior who has taken a deceased woman by the name of Mono to a temple in the forbidden lands in
    order to perform a spell to bring her back to life. When an ominous voice named Dormin offers to perform it for you you quickly accept, however he tasks you with defeating 16 colossi that live in the forbidden lands before he brings Mono back from the dead. As you begin to kill the colossi you begin to realise that perhaps Dormin has had something up his sleeve all along.
    Shadow of the Colossus falls into three genres, an action-adventure, a platformer and a puzzle game. You must ride your horse through the expansive forbidden lands in search of the 16 colossi which live up to their name. You must figure out how to get onto them, then platform your way to the top and lastly find the weak spots to take the thing down. Each of the 16 combat scenarios vary vastly and will test your skills, patience and understanding of basic mechanics such as sound, light and gravity in order to take these beasts down, and there is nothing more fulfilling that feel that sword take the final plunge into a colossus and watch it crumble to the ground below.
    Though the game is light and is just 16 boss battles one after each other the game is utterly magical in terms of presentation and storytelling. The Colossus A.I is a little wonky at times but it just gives them even more character that before.
    Shadow of the Colossus is another game that really defines gaming as an art form and it is mind blowing how the PS2 can simply play this game because of its size.
  23. Nov 2, 2012
    This game is simply amazing. The soundtrack was great. No other game has ever got horse riding as spot on as this game. It was one of the first games to show really show that games can be an art form.
  24. May 19, 2012
    This game sets out to do something and does it perfectly. It is risky to cut out what most would consider the game and use only boss fights, but this tactic packs all of the adrenaline, and artistry, into one tight bundle. This is nothing short of perfect, yet it may not have everything some may want in a game.
  25. Sep 22, 2012
    Emotional, exciting, fun, breathtaking. I'm probably missing a few other words that can describe this heavenly game. Basically, it's one of the best games of the last generation, and possibly of all time. I'm not afraid to say this game is one of the best, simply because there is no other game like it. It set a bar for every Adventure/action game that followed it, much like Half Life 2 did for FPS's. But it does more then just reinovate gaming mechanics. It is one of the few games that can call themselves, with a straight face, a work of art. Some would disagree, granted, but even the sceptics can appreciate the game's excellent design, and if you are not so narrow minded as some gamers, you will no doubt love this game. It's more then a game, and with every gaming year filled to brimming with grey and unoriginal videogames, it just gets clearer. Expand
  26. May 31, 2012
    I didn't get to play this one until around 3 years after it's release. How it slipped under the radar for so long I have no idea because it's probably one of the best games in the entire ps2 library. It was definitely ahead of it's time as more games are trying to use that sense of scale to awe players. SOTC's gameplay structure has you explore a massive land full of valleys, caves and abandoned crumbling temples in search of 16 creatures... that are usually 50 times your size. Have fun! Expand
  27. Jul 2, 2012
    This game is good. However, it is REALLY overrated. The gameplay is fun but awkward and clunky. The soundtrack is glorious and the game looks great. I enjoyed this game and felt both a strong sense of attachment and a strong feeling of frustration. Those Colossi are tough.
  28. Jul 7, 2012
    This Game is Art! I really wish that the storyline was longer. But everything other than that is really GREAT! I gave 10 because the score speaks for itself. The game earned the title "Best Game for the PS2".
  29. Aug 21, 2012
    Shadow of Colossus is such a beautiful piece of videogameart! you have never seen or experienced something like this! First i thought this game was not finished by the programmers, cause even when the landscape is beautiful, its somewhat empty and lacks some life, but the longer i played, i realized that those "quiet" parts between this colossal boss-fights are essential for the feeling, for whats going on inside the player. the nature is so beautiful, this "quiet" parts ARE atmospheric and essential also for the story, which is also unique, and this game really dont need more than those bossfights and this moments were the player is alone with this beautiful presented nature. though its unconventionel and strange that they have invested so much time in buildung up a country full of nature, but with no gameplay. it was brave to this, but the result concede the programmers that they were right. amazing game! Expand
  30. Oct 26, 2012
    Shadow of the Colossus is arguably one of the greatest action-adventure games ever created. Developed by the esteemed and greatly hailed game developers, Team Ico, Shadow of the Colossus is the prequel to the developers famed first release, Ico. Set at an ambiguous time, likely several centuries before Ico, the game begins with a young boy on horseback with his questionably-alive lady friend. This girl was sacrificed in a village's ancient sacrificial ritual, but for reasons unknown, the unnamed protagonist (given the name The Wander by fans) is on a journey to take her to a forbidden land. When he arrives at a large castle in this forbidden land, he is greeted by Dormir, the resident god of the land. The protagonist asks the god to bring the girl back to life; Dormir agrees, but only if Wander first slays the sixteen giants that reside in the land. In actuality, the title is nothing more than a platforming-puzzle game. So what makes this such a pivotal game? The presentation. Team Ico has a special talent of storytelling and use of gameplay that in unparalleled. While the story of Shadow of the Colossus is deep and intricate, not a whole lot of the plot is in fact revealed. Much of the plot takes place before the events that you experience, and the ending is left very open-ended. You feel like you're experiencing something much greater than what appears before you, which offers a beautiful perspective on the story. The gameplay is all about destroying these giant 20+ story tall colossi, but you're free to roam the sandbox-styled landscape freely, and can enter these massive boss battles whenever you feel ready and prepared. The landscape is simply awe inspiring, and there is no danger to disturb your taking in the scenery. And when you do enter these battles, they are intense, and really give you the feeling that these colossi are indeed colossal. Shadow of the Colossus offers a completely unique experience, and is one of those few games that simply can't be missed. Expand
  31. Apr 25, 2013
    This is by far one of the best single player experiences I have ever set foot upon. The reason this is a 9 out of 10 instead of 10 out of 10 is because the horse is aggravating, which is ironic considering the horse's name is "Agro." The music is MASTERFUL, the game play is fluid, the bosses (it is a game specifically of bosses) are memorable, and the ending could be one of the best of ALL TIME. All in all, buy it. Right now. Expand
  32. Jun 7, 2013
    Shadow of the Colossus is probably my favorite game of all time. Let's start with the graphics. The graphics are absolutely astounding, especially for the PS2. The colossi look really great, but during the fights, the framerate tends to drop a little bit. The environments are amazingly detailed, and the landscapes are absolutely beautiful. The Forbidden Land in which the game takes place is essentially dead, but that doesn't stop the game from using amazing landscapes, that despite the depressing lack of life (except in the rare forests and extremely rare waterfalls) the world is beautiful.

Now for story. I won't spoil the story for you, but it's an amazing one. It's told with little words and only a few cutscenes. Play the game yourself if you want to experience it. You'll find yourself establishing an emotional connection with the main character, Wander, and his horse, Agro. The ending is incredibly powerful.

The soundtrack in this game is amazing, possibly the best soundtrack ever (movies, CDs, or games). There is a wide variety of amazing tracks, but there are 4 or 5 that really stick out and made me actually stop and listen to the music during a boss fight.

And of course, the gameplay. The gameplay is possibly the most fun I've ever had in gaming. It starts with riding your horse to the next colossus. Some find the horse's controls to be annoying, but I found them to work perfectly fine. It can take awhile to reach some of the colossi, but for me, that was remedied by the amazing landscapes all around me that I could stare at and be wowed by on my way to the colossus. Once you reach the colossus, the fun begins. The colossi are huge, hairy beasts with 1-5 different weakspots. You have to climb them and attack the weakspots until they die. Easy, right? Ye NO. The colossi are basically puzzles. It starts with figuring how to GET ONTO the colossus, and that can be tough to figure out. This is where you use your brain. Once you're on it, navigating to the weakspot can be tricky, since you have limited stamina, and if it runs out, you fall. Then you attack each weakspot, and the colossi love to shake all around. Stamina becomes a problem here.

Shadow of the Colossus is a game not to be missed. It has an outstanding world, extremely fun gameplay, an amazing soundtrack, and possibly the most compelling story ever in a video game.
  33. Feb 25, 2013
    This game is near flawless. The soundtrack, the world, the way you kill these giants. SotC is an amazing game that has something different to offer from other RPGs (Is this an RPG?), and that is the fact that you are all alone. The only other living things here are your horse and the 16 colossi. The biggest thing that holds this game back from being a perfect 10 is the game has a few camera issues. The game does allow you to lock on ti the colossi, so you are looking at it. When you do this while climbing a colossus, the camera tends to zoom in, making it a little harder to climb. Also, 15-20 frames per second? Yeah... but it's all right. Overall, an amazing game with just a couple flaws. Expand
  34. Jun 26, 2013
    In a word, Shadow of the Colossus is masterful. The graphics are beautiful, as is the story, however minimalist it is. The battles against the Colossus are each detailed, difficult, and challenging. Each battle requires you to figure out a weakness and then climb to it, adding a puzzle-like element to the game.

The world in which you traverse in just amazing. There is a lack of music
    while you travel to your destination, adding to the chilling and wondrous environment. When in battle, outstanding battle themes play as you fight, making each fight grand and epic.

Really, this game is just brilliant. I just wish I could delete my memory so that I could replay it again for the first time.
  35. iRo
    Feb 24, 2013
    Great game, challenging bosses especially the one with the colossus that behaves like a rhino that got me over a few times. challenging at first but once you repeat it kinda stinks since you know how to beat them already. but anyways super great game.
  36. Mar 26, 2013
    This is an amazing game I urge you not to miss the chance to play the game! This game has a great story, great atmosphere,great game-play great visuals,great soundtrack and a surprising twist at the end.I urge you to try this game out you will not be disappointed.
  37. May 6, 2013
    Shadow of the Colossus is a beautiful art game that understands how to strike a balance between its interesting narrative concerns and engaging gameplay. More impressively, it knows how to use the mechanisms of its medium to reinforce these thematic concerns.

You become excited by the chase and anxious by the scale of your encounters with the vast, beautiful creatures whose destruction
    forms the central mechanism of the experience, but more atmospheric elements--the diminishing certainty of purpose, the proximity to the forbidden, and the sense of isolation --become tactile experiences, as well. When Wander's grip fails, and he tumbles down the flanks of a living mountain you've spent the past half-hour learning to kill, you share his exhaustion. When the final blow dims the iridescent eyes of the colossus, your relief at the end of the struggle is a physical one. On the other hand, you also share the futility of Wander's attempts to outrun the consequences of his victory...

Even the repetition of the central game mechanic and the sparse diversion between boss fights, which first struck me as weaknesses in execution, seem, on further reflection, a central component of the experience. This is a bleak place that you've come to, and your purpose becomes a grim one. While rewarding is a somewhat unqualified term to use for this game's unique intentions, Shadow of the Colossus will certainly return your investment.
  38. May 9, 2013
    Shadow of the Colossus is an epic and powerful game that makes use of great gameplay, outstanding battles, superb sound and a deep and touching story to make your jaw drop. The game surely have its flaws, like the annoying camera, but it stills one of the best adventure games ever made, and if you don't mind the "lack of action", you should totally check it.
  39. Aug 5, 2013
    Shadow of the Colossus is a masterpiece, a game that's often brought into the argument that is "Can games can be a piece of art?". Yes they can be, and this is a perfect example. The game is very impressive visually, and that certainly helps the sublime art style. The animation quality is incredible, all the Colossi have a real presence and move realistically, and Agro and Wander are very realistic as well, (especially when Wander is on the Colossi) but the real star of the show in that aspect is the Colossi for sure. The games music is just incredible, completely suits the tone of the game and really gives a depressing atmosphere. Gameplay wise, SotC is pretty simple, you find the Colossi in the wasteland and you find out how to kill them by jumping, holding on and stabbing them, it's basically a puzzle game in disguise, the puzzles being how to find the Colossi and how to kill them. I think this really works for the game, it's really satisfying to finally beat a Colossi after an hour of trying, I think this is because the game has a really good sense of scale, these things are huge and you just feel like god when you take one of them down. The game finds a great balance between easy and hard, ├Čt's challenging but not unforgiving, I really like that in a game. This is not a perfect game at all, nothing is perfect, the game has minor camera problems and Agros controls are a bit janky at times, but I don't think giving a game 10 out of 10 means it's perfect, there are just a select few that feel like they deserve a 10, and I think Shadow of the Colossus is one of them.

Roll on The Last Guardian!
  40. Jun 7, 2013
    Now to start this review, I realize that this is not a type of game that would appeal to all audiences of gamers. If I were to include this factor (As I have rated it based off of my own opinion of the game, which I believe it is very intriguing and everything awesome) I would rate it at about 9.
    The game is very fluent from start to finish and keeps the player enveloped in the deep
    storyline and overall feel of it. Even when you first begin you are being launched as this mysterious person who has but the bare essentials of combat and his friendly horse. This game keeps you interested in what is going to happen to this character and what his past was in only the first five minutes of play! I was instantly filled with questions when I first started playing. Who was this person? Why was he carrying a body? What is his goal? It gives you the basics of what you need to know in the beginning so that you can figure it out later through your own experience. Clearly the developers know what they are doing.

So already we have a storyline that is taking liftoff. What about the surroundings of the player? As soon as you gain control you are in a cathedral that looks and feels ancient. Large stone totems line the walls providing a small glimpse at what is ahead. Once you step outside you are struck by a beautiful landscape that is difficult to find in most games. Along with the setting, the graphics are intense and adds to the whole beauty of it all. Two more things that are nailed in this game; setting and graphics.

Once I was finished admiring the area in which I was in, it was time to take charge and attempt to defeat the first colossus. It gave me the basics of control and then sent me off to war against this massive beast that truly felt as though it could truly exist. The colossus looked, felt, and acted exactly as a real colossus would in real life. Not only that but when you are fighting you are invigorated by music (In my opinion the best soundtrack for a video game that I have ever heard) that is fit for the situation you are in. You must explore the arena, discover the weakness of the colossus, and plot your way up to the weak point to slay it. Two more gaming elements that are perfected; level design and soundtrack.

Overall this game is very unique and by far one of the best games I have ever played. It kept me playing even after beating it the first time, and I still enjoy playing it to this day. However I can still understand that this sort of theme is not for every gamer. Continuing through to discover how the colossus looked and was like was one of the few truly great gaming experiences I have had and is difficult to come by. Well done, Team Ico!
  41. Jul 16, 2013
    A Genuine experience.

While some aspects don't appeal to all (Camera and Controls) the game forgets these flaws and delivers an absolutely brilliant plot packaged with arguably the best boss fights ever seen in videogames, neatly topped with a minimalist art design which immediately impacts the players emotions and continues to throughout.

Too repeat myself, the boss fights in this
    game are phenomenal, with an easy 'weak spot exploit' formulae mixed with difficult puzzle based climbing of the massive colossi, the game delivers an experience no gamer is to go without, an experience that truly challenges how you take on these colossi.

Shadow of the Colossus was Re-released on PS3 and to be frank, some adventures are worth taking twice.
  42. Jul 4, 2013
    What can I say? EPIC, SENSATIONAL, GRANDE, ESPETACULOSO, REALISTIC (in the epoch), VOLTAGE TOTAL BESIDE THE MONSTER MURKY, MAP GREAT BIG, MYSTERIES, FEARS, AND TOTAL EMOTION! WHAT HAS CRITICIZE!! Love it forever
  43. Aug 23, 2013
    Shadow of the Colossus might be the best game on the PS2. It's a masterpiece, it defines the PS2. The story is great, the characters are epic and the whole game will just blow your mind.
  44. Feb 1, 2014
    Shadow of the Colossus has demonstrated that games are more than violence. It is evidence to silence the enemies of gaming, like CNN. It captures feelings of love, wonderment, and cruelty. Sadly this game is underrated, and it has the power to change your look on violence and your appreciation for a story.
    CONS:
    +The game is gorgeous. A PS2 game looks so colorful and beautiful, and that
    is when I feel graphics really count in a review - when they go above and beyond expectations, and add to the enjoyment.
    +The story is breath-taking; few, if any words are said, and it still makes you feel for the characters.
    +Level design - absolutely amazing - the best I've ever seen before.
    +The bosses (colossus) are incredibly well designed. They all have different patterns, moods, and not only are they intimidating in their stature, they manage to be beautiful at the same time.
    CONS:
    -It is hard to find one of the colossus, but it is hardly worth mentioning.
    Get it. DO IT!
  45. Jan 7, 2014
    Definitely one of the greatest games I've ever played, without a doubt. The style of the entire game is just breath-taking, I wish I could just stare at the 3rd colossus for a few moments before it attacked.
  46. Mar 26, 2014
    Sublime. Phenomenal. Artistic masterpiece. The scale is unbelievable for a PS2 game. SOTC transcends beyond any conventional labels and inspires much like a spiritual journey.
  47. Mar 31, 2014
    Shadow of the Colossus is truly an amazing game. I've read a lot of the negative reviews here and i keep seeing people who were looking for a full fledged RPG or people who need constant interaction and flashing lights when they play games, which is fine I quite enjoy flashy lights myself. This game is an exercise in using emotion as a key element. You are supposed to feel like the world is empty and that you are alone but... you aren't alone. There are these large beast hidden somewhere in this rather beautifully painted world of ancient ruins, mountains, forests, lakes, and ravines. It sorta makes you think what else could be out there. It sucks you in and suddenly you do feel like Wander in a foreign land, in w way that not many other games have accomplished. Inside this world you'll find 16 massive colossus that are each their own giant walking platforming puzzle.. that also tries to kill you. When this game came out my jaw dropped at the first sight of the colossus. Something that awesome had never been done so perfectly. The developers did such a good job of giving heavy things weight. When that giant stone sword hits the ground you'll swear you felt your house shake. Nothing is cooler than standing on the head of a colossus and seeing the ground several hundred feet below, actually getting vertigo from a video game. A lot of the negative reviews say that the camera and controls were horrible only i've never had a problem with the camera. Its a simple camera you control with a joy stick. I honestly think that some people aren't using the camera stick and just letting the camera auto which would be terrible. I've never played a game that's dropped my jaw, starred my eyes, or fueled my wonder like SOTC has. The developers put so much detail and effort into their creation that it just oozes out of every hill, rock, and colossus. Everyone likes their own type of games and maybe SOTC isn't you're cup of tea, but this is one of the most amazing games on the PS2 a land mark in art direction, mechanics, and innovation. Expand

1. If you can appreciate artistry in games, if you hanker for an experience that transcends genre, if you want to see what happens when a creative design team is allowed to ignore sales numbers and flavor-of-the-month trends, by all means bring yourself into Shadow's world. [Oct 2005, p.98]
  2. A truly unique experience that inspires emotions in a way few games can. It has its share of problems, but I love it just the same. [Oct 2005, p.130]
  3. It's unlike anything else you've ever played, and so you may love it or you may hate it. Count me firmly in the "love" boat. [Nov 2005, p.142]