Shadow the Hedgehog PlayStation 2

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Nov 15, 2005
5.8

1. Jan 18, 2013
    Really fun and really memorable. The game had its thrill, good music, perfect difficulty standard, fun little side game types like co-op (Flawed but still fun) and the Multiplayer (Real Fun).
    The guns in this game ARE NO PROBLEM AT ALL as many people say, Its auto aim almost but still good enough. The side missions of choosing your story was clever and a great as an idea. Overall, Its a must play if you forget Bob saying the game sucks.
  2. Nov 25, 2013
    I don't see why this game is so hated. It has really cool soundtrack and levels are really enjoyable. It's just one of those games, that require mre skill. The idea of dropping 10 rings after hit instead of all of them makes this games actually a lot easier. I like the fact, that you can choose, if you want to do Hero, Dark or Neutral (go to finish line) missions. Also, the storyline fillsI don't see why this game is so hated. It has really cool soundtrack and levels are really enjoyable. It's just one of those games, that require mre skill. The idea of dropping 10 rings after hit instead of all of them makes this games actually a lot easier. I like the fact, that you can choose, if you want to do Hero, Dark or Neutral (go to finish line) missions. Also, the storyline fills gaps that SA2 and SH left for Shadow. It has great replay value.
    This game is a platforming shooter and that's the main reason why it's hated so much. Those kinds of games are actually my favourite. In other words, you should buy this game, if you want to know more about Shadow The Hedgehog without going to wiki pages or if you like platforming shooters.
  3. TonyR.
    Sep 8, 2006
    It's okay. Still not the greatest game ever. Poor level design but cool guns.
  4. Dec 4, 2015
    I don't care what people say about this game. It's amazing in my opinion. The music Is amazing!! I am all of me by crush 40 seriously. No matter what year it is I will always love this game!
  5. May 14, 2012
    OH NO, a positive Shadow the Hedgehog review? I am prepared for the hate. Regardless, Shadow the Hedgehog was released in 2005 and is the first Sonic related game in which the protagonist is not Sonic the Hedgehog and is a character introduced in Sonic Adventure 2. The purpose of the game is for players to find out more about Shadow than they originally knew of in SA2. This informationOH NO, a positive Shadow the Hedgehog review? I am prepared for the hate. Regardless, Shadow the Hedgehog was released in 2005 and is the first Sonic related game in which the protagonist is not Sonic the Hedgehog and is a character introduced in Sonic Adventure 2. The purpose of the game is for players to find out more about Shadow than they originally knew of in SA2. This information includes Shadow's past such as how he was created and more details about Maria. When it comes to the actual story, it gives you a different feel in each of the different sides you choose. I believe players disliked the story because they didn't want a different style in which you can play through different outcomes and have increased replayablility. Now let's get into the gameplay. Many people found the gun concept to be "Pointless", the speed of Shadow to be too slow, and the performance of the game graphics wise, but I found none of those to be an issue. the guns bring variety to the series, Shadow runs just as fast as Sonic and runs as smoothly as in SA2, and the graphics were not bad. Heck, even the split screen I found fun playing with my friends. The only minor issue I found within the game was, well, nothing. Overall, don't listen to the other reviewers unless you prefer everything to be the same rather than variety. That is why this game deserves a perfet 100. Expand
  6. Dec 18, 2013
    You can choose between hero,evil and neutral.Shadow uses guns.You can choose to help G.U.N. ,or help the Aliens,or only to find the truth about Shadow's past.The way you do the levels will decide Shadow's future.Probably,one of the best Sonic Games ever.
  7. May 17, 2015
    I have spent like 60 hours on this game when I was younger. Challenge of doing every single storyline was so addicting. Music was fantastic. 8/10.. deal with it.
  8. T.J.
    Jun 20, 2005
    I was hoping for a Sonic game that wasn't based on Sonic. Shadow, when I first saw him, was a dark character and much more "Get out of my face" than Sonic. Shadow the Hedgehog was a great idea and I love it. I know people will say stuff like "Shadow sucks, make Sonic Heroes 2!" or some crap like that, but I own Sonic Heroes and I, first of all, got somewhat bored of it, especiallyI was hoping for a Sonic game that wasn't based on Sonic. Shadow, when I first saw him, was a dark character and much more "Get out of my face" than Sonic. Shadow the Hedgehog was a great idea and I love it. I know people will say stuff like "Shadow sucks, make Sonic Heroes 2!" or some crap like that, but I own Sonic Heroes and I, first of all, got somewhat bored of it, especially since you need to collect all the chaos emeralds to fight Metal Sonic. The gun was a big surprise in the Sonic universe and a big improvement personally. I wonder if you get to fight the Sonic Team if Shadow's evil and if you get to beat the yoke out of Eggman if Shadow's good. GO SHADOW!!!!!!! Expand
  9. BenF.
    Apr 17, 2006
    One the games I really liked. Ignore the reviews. the people who write reviews are the adults. Remember, it's adults who grade this game, trust me. Buy it if you love shooter games.
  10. JayM.
    Sep 3, 2006
    i love this gam its cool i still play to find out whats happend to him but i think its a good all around shooter games if u want a shooter game this is the 1.
  11. Jan 13, 2014
    I had always been curious about this game, I liked the character and thought a darker interpretation of the Sonic universe would be cool, but I never picked it up because it was technically a Sonic game, a series I hated at the time. The negative reception from both critics and fans didn't help either. I'm glad I finally got around to playing it. It's not perfect but it provides a uniqueI had always been curious about this game, I liked the character and thought a darker interpretation of the Sonic universe would be cool, but I never picked it up because it was technically a Sonic game, a series I hated at the time. The negative reception from both critics and fans didn't help either. I'm glad I finally got around to playing it. It's not perfect but it provides a unique and fun experience.

Most of the complaints I have with the game are aimed at the story. It's nonsensical and is filled with plot holes and characters who make idiotic decisions. It's cool that it has many branching paths that lead to different endings, but the fact that you have to unlock all 10 of these ending in order to get the cannon ending is something I feel is a little unnecessary and just a way to extend the game's length. Considering the number of Youtube reviewers that have gone in depth with what's wrong with the story I'm not really going to go into a lot of details. Let's just say that story isn't the reason you should play this game. You should play it because it is a successful experiment on classic Sonic gameplay with a new protagonist.

A lot of people have made complaints about the controls and I don't really get that. The only issues I had were some light problems with the camera and homing attack, the latter of which would send me over edges and careening into a bottomless pit unto my death at times. Both issues were easy to tolerate and avoid, especially when you compare them to the issues so many other PS2 games have with things like the these. In my opinion these are some of the best controls I've experienced with a game in the Sonic series. I also found the gunplay to work very well. The auto lock-on system makes aiming a breeze. They did decrease the effectiveness of things like the homing attack and the spin dash, but combat still has a nice flow to it. Overall I feel like the gunplay paid off in the end.

As far as difficulty and length goes this game is the easiest and shortest Sonic game I've ever played. This is acceptable when you realize that the game is meant to be replayed multiple times in order to experience all of the different endings. Another cool feature is the branching path function of the game. In each level your given one of three tasks to complete labeled hero, dark, and neutral. Depending on which one you choose to complete you get to see different cut-scenes and play through different levels. This adds a surprising amount of replay value, despite the fact that some missions can be more tedious to complete than others.

Overall I found "Shadow the Hedgehog" to be a flawed but incredibly fun experience. It ends up being one of the best Sonic game I've ever played. It's experimentation pays off and it avoided many of the issues I have come to expect from Sonic games of this era. If you're willing to expect some change than I recommend this to all of you Sonic fans out there. You might have to overlook some issues, but I found it to be worth it in the end.
  12. Nov 12, 2014
    Shadow the Hedgehog is probably one of the best Sonic games I've ever played. The level are fun, the controls are smooth, the music is awesome, the gun play is great and It's barely glitchy. The only thing that I don't like about the game is that the story is pure crap and it's graphics are jarring at best. Other than that, It's an awesome game! Yeah, it's far from perfect but I defidentlyShadow the Hedgehog is probably one of the best Sonic games I've ever played. The level are fun, the controls are smooth, the music is awesome, the gun play is great and It's barely glitchy. The only thing that I don't like about the game is that the story is pure crap and it's graphics are jarring at best. Other than that, It's an awesome game! Yeah, it's far from perfect but I defidently recommend this game to any PlayStation 2 owner who is a fan of the Ultimate Life Form. Expand
  13. Jan 19, 2015
    Metascore: 8.7/10
    Metascore: 8.7/10
    This game had a great story. It had different branches of depth like different universes where Shadow the Hedgehog, the main character can go through. Shadow being in a completely destroyed world and the gunplay completelly outshades the game into more mature audiences. We can clearly see that SEGA was making another franchise. NOTHING TO DO WITH SONIC as a main protagonist.. It's not a Sonic game. They tried to popularize this new 'hero' as a new Sonic into a more mature audience. Speed may not be the main focus on this series. Shadow is a character of his own. The Graphics and Controls are the downside of this game. The Multiplayer was also a very good spendtimer with friends. I also have to state that the music of this game is awesome. SEGA tried to make a new franchise parallel to the Sonic's one, but they failed since the majority of people saw this as another Sonic game.
  14. Apr 16, 2015
    I loved the story more than anything! The best part is how your in game decisions (good, evil, or neutral) alter the story and change what stage you go to next. I probably played through the story over 100 times to get every possible scenario. The soundtrack was very fitting for the game! Loved everything about the story mode! (multi-player sucked, but I didn't buy the game for that)
  15. Feb 1, 2016
    This might just be the most unfairly picked on Sonic game of all time, despite being a 'Shadow' game. Everyone just detests this game as a one that was apparently so bad that it forced Sega to reboot the franchise, to which I say: it was his 15th anniversary. Shadow the Hedgehog has plenty of levels along with a vast assortment of weaponry. The controls can take a level play session to getThis might just be the most unfairly picked on Sonic game of all time, despite being a 'Shadow' game. Everyone just detests this game as a one that was apparently so bad that it forced Sega to reboot the franchise, to which I say: it was his 15th anniversary. Shadow the Hedgehog has plenty of levels along with a vast assortment of weaponry. The controls can take a level play session to get use to, but what are first levels for? Shadow runs very fast and can slow down easily; not only is the running spot on, the platforming is helped by the fact that Shadow slows down when jumping, also the rail grinding is fixed. In my honest opinion, the games repetition is quite possibly the only reason I don't think Shadow the Hedgehog is as good as Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, yes I really did just type that. Shadow the Hedgehog, along with Sonic (2006), understands what a Sonic game is, and gets the three fundamental things correct such as: music, graphics, and level design. Expand
  16. Mar 24, 2016
    This good game . Almost on par with Sonic Adventure . In Shadow the hedgehog . Interesting and strange gameplay . This is shooter , platformet and action-adventure . Good soundtracks . Special I am all of me , Chosen one and All hail Shadow . Very interesting storyline . Dark levels is not bad . graphics in Sonic Heroes . PS2 , GC and Xbox have this game , but Shadow the hedgehog better onThis good game . Almost on par with Sonic Adventure . In Shadow the hedgehog . Interesting and strange gameplay . This is shooter , platformet and action-adventure . Good soundtracks . Special I am all of me , Chosen one and All hail Shadow . Very interesting storyline . Dark levels is not bad . graphics in Sonic Heroes . PS2 , GC and Xbox have this game , but Shadow the hedgehog better on PS2 than SHadowThe hedgehog on XBOX and GC . poor 9 of 10 Expand
  17. Sep 22, 2016
    the best game ever with the best character ever i dont play many gun games but this is so good i make and exception and u can choose to be hero or villain or neutral what other sonic game does that i ask that gives it another edge

#12 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2005
#8 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2005

The lack of speed is a real problem here.
    A long list of shortcomings, from stupid level design, unrefined controls and useless gunplay to disappointingly outdated graphics.
  3. Unlike last years popular and more importantly, playable, "Sonic Heroes," Shadow The Hedgehog is a misstep in almost every direction.