Shadow the Hedgehog PlayStation 2

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Nov 15, 2005
5.5

1. Nov 4, 2012
    Seriously,why does everyone hates this game? i mean,it's not the best sonic game i've ever played,but it's better than SONIC THE HEDGEHOG '06,you have to admit this game was good,okay,it had glitches,and no speed at all,BUT,you guys DO remember that in sonic heroes ,team dark was more focused in combat rather than speed,right?yeah,well thats how shadow rolls.....and why do you guysSeriously,why does everyone hates this game? i mean,it's not the best sonic game i've ever played,but it's better than SONIC THE HEDGEHOG '06,you have to admit this game was good,okay,it had glitches,and no speed at all,BUT,you guys DO remember that in sonic heroes ,team dark was more focused in combat rather than speed,right?yeah,well thats how shadow rolls.....and why do you guys complain so much about guns in the game,YOU PLAY SONIC GAMES,A BLUE SUPERSONIC HEDGEHOG WHO WEARS SHOES!!!!SHOES!!!!,and you guys complain about guns?pfft,anyways,i like this game,Live with it. Expand
  2. Jan 18, 2013
    Really fun and really memorable. The game had its thrill, good music, perfect difficulty standard, fun little side game types like co-op (Flawed but still fun) and the Multiplayer (Real Fun).
    The guns in this game ARE NO PROBLEM AT ALL as many people say, Its auto aim almost but still good enough. The side missions of choosing your story was clever and a great as an idea. Overall, Its a must play if you forget Bob saying the game sucks.
  3. Nov 25, 2013
    I don't see why this game is so hated. It has really cool soundtrack and levels are really enjoyable. It's just one of those games, that require mre skill. The idea of dropping 10 rings after hit instead of all of them makes this games actually a lot easier. I like the fact, that you can choose, if you want to do Hero, Dark or Neutral (go to finish line) missions. Also, the storyline fillsI don't see why this game is so hated. It has really cool soundtrack and levels are really enjoyable. It's just one of those games, that require mre skill. The idea of dropping 10 rings after hit instead of all of them makes this games actually a lot easier. I like the fact, that you can choose, if you want to do Hero, Dark or Neutral (go to finish line) missions. Also, the storyline fills gaps that SA2 and SH left for Shadow. It has great replay value.
    This game is a platforming shooter and that's the main reason why it's hated so much. Those kinds of games are actually my favourite. In other words, you should buy this game, if you want to know more about Shadow The Hedgehog without going to wiki pages or if you like platforming shooters.
  4. Oct 28, 2014
    I fully and shamelessly admit that this game is one of my guilty pleasures. Yes, the controls are awful, the level design is insipid, and the voice acting is just... satanic, I can't help but like it. Part of it is to blame that I loved it as a child, and another part is that it's trying to hilariously hard to be taken as a dark, gritty Sonic game, and it's adorable. It's not quite as badI fully and shamelessly admit that this game is one of my guilty pleasures. Yes, the controls are awful, the level design is insipid, and the voice acting is just... satanic, I can't help but like it. Part of it is to blame that I loved it as a child, and another part is that it's trying to hilariously hard to be taken as a dark, gritty Sonic game, and it's adorable. It's not quite as bad as everyone says, either; if you have some time to waste, give it a look, but I won't blame you for hating it. Expand
  5. PhilK.
    Feb 4, 2006
    Why did I buy this game!!! 50$ in the garbage! Storyline is too short, gameplay is horrendous, and to top it off this is the easiest game ive ever played! It took me a 1/2 hour to beat campaign mode. Sega has taken a HUGE step backwards. Name anything that makes a game good I bet you they screwed up that part too, graphics, gameplay, an interesting story line, the list goes on and on.
  6. TonyR.
    Sep 8, 2006
    It's okay. Still not the greatest game ever. Poor level design but cool guns.
  7. Sep 8, 2013
    It's a sonic game with a different main character. People complain of speed, 'cept we're not playing as Sonic here, are we? Nopers, not Sonic! The gun idea... Not so awesome, the battles, same. The levels for all sonic games were always quite straightforward, here you have a bit more space. The auto-targetting is terrible, camera is just like every other 3D sonic game released sinceIt's a sonic game with a different main character. People complain of speed, 'cept we're not playing as Sonic here, are we? Nopers, not Sonic! The gun idea... Not so awesome, the battles, same. The levels for all sonic games were always quite straightforward, here you have a bit more space. The auto-targetting is terrible, camera is just like every other 3D sonic game released since Dreamcast failure. I got this game for $1, I think I've gotten my money's worth out of it. Story line is a bit dull, but I don't care, the fast paced movements and puzzles in completing the different missions in each level give it variety and difference. Mediocre game, fun to play, can be frustrating, steep learning curve, there's no 'here's a training level to get you used to it' straight into the game. That's the only thing it's missing in my opinion. Expand
  8. Dec 4, 2015
    I don't care what people say about this game. It's amazing in my opinion. The music Is amazing!! I am all of me by crush 40 seriously. No matter what year it is I will always love this game!
  9. May 14, 2012
    OH NO, a positive Shadow the Hedgehog review? I am prepared for the hate. Regardless, Shadow the Hedgehog was released in 2005 and is the first Sonic related game in which the protagonist is not Sonic the Hedgehog and is a character introduced in Sonic Adventure 2. The purpose of the game is for players to find out more about Shadow than they originally knew of in SA2. This informationOH NO, a positive Shadow the Hedgehog review? I am prepared for the hate. Regardless, Shadow the Hedgehog was released in 2005 and is the first Sonic related game in which the protagonist is not Sonic the Hedgehog and is a character introduced in Sonic Adventure 2. The purpose of the game is for players to find out more about Shadow than they originally knew of in SA2. This information includes Shadow's past such as how he was created and more details about Maria. When it comes to the actual story, it gives you a different feel in each of the different sides you choose. I believe players disliked the story because they didn't want a different style in which you can play through different outcomes and have increased replayablility. Now let's get into the gameplay. Many people found the gun concept to be "Pointless", the speed of Shadow to be too slow, and the performance of the game graphics wise, but I found none of those to be an issue. the guns bring variety to the series, Shadow runs just as fast as Sonic and runs as smoothly as in SA2, and the graphics were not bad. Heck, even the split screen I found fun playing with my friends. The only minor issue I found within the game was, well, nothing. Overall, don't listen to the other reviewers unless you prefer everything to be the same rather than variety. That is why this game deserves a perfet 100. Expand
  10. Apr 26, 2011
    Even if you're looking for a little bit of life in Shadow the Hedgehog, I'd turn to the NGC version. The PS2 version emphasizes bad control and camera to a whole new level.
  11. Dec 18, 2013
    You can choose between hero,evil and neutral.Shadow uses guns.You can choose to help G.U.N. ,or help the Aliens,or only to find the truth about Shadow's past.The way you do the levels will decide Shadow's future.Probably,one of the best Sonic Games ever.
  12. Sep 3, 2015
    it is very easy to talk about how BAD this game is about spoiling anything major. One biggest issue is that he tournament tear like chapter menu, I want caught a menu because you can't select the chapter, but you go up or down a tear depending on if you're going to be a good guy bad guy or just do neither and just go straight down the centerline of the tournament tears. The Voice acting isit is very easy to talk about how BAD this game is about spoiling anything major. One biggest issue is that he tournament tear like chapter menu, I want caught a menu because you can't select the chapter, but you go up or down a tear depending on if you're going to be a good guy bad guy or just do neither and just go straight down the centerline of the tournament tears. The Voice acting is bad and I couldn't help but notice if you hear Maria's breathing in the opening cut saying she sounds like a child but when you're far enough on the "good guy" tear or path and you meet her in a certain level and she's your companion for that chapter she sounds like a full grown woman. Is it Maria supposed to be a child? if they designed this game better and had a better storyline Shadow would've gotten more of his own games.
    The gameplay felt like a cliché having shadow use guns like they are trying WAY too hard to reach an older audience. The could've had more to his attacks then just his homing attacks and spin dash attacks to try to make him different then sonic, I know chaos blast and Chaos control but filter attacks you only get when you fill a certain meter. AI for the enemies and the companion characters were crap. and all in all this game was way too easy for a teen audience I was trying way too hard to please with this game. Shadow the hedgehog deserve a better game than this crap. Only get this game if you want to Mulefat and all in all this game was way too easy for a teen audience I was trying way too hard to please with this game. Shadow the hedgehog deserve a better game than this crap.
  13. KeenanS
    Jun 8, 2009
    Shadow the Hedgehog had great potential to be something cool, but in the end all we get is a disastrous third-person action title with slopping platforming and running and a lame protagonist trying to be the iconic Final Fantasy VII hero Cloud. The gameplay is atrocious thanks to the bad camera and rotten controls which will make you die several times. The storyline is among the worst Shadow the Hedgehog had great potential to be something cool, but in the end all we get is a disastrous third-person action title with slopping platforming and running and a lame protagonist trying to be the iconic Final Fantasy VII hero Cloud. The gameplay is atrocious thanks to the bad camera and rotten controls which will make you die several times. The storyline is among the worst ever told in the history of storytelling; essentially it's a defecation of storytelling. The voice actors were horrendous and the dialogue was even worse. The graphics bounce back and forth between okay and downright ugly. This game is an uneven and cluttered mess of bad design choices that even the most adamant Sonic fans will hate it. If the rumored sequel is true, they better damn well fix all the problems with the first game, or better yet just don't release it! Expand
  14. Jun 13, 2011
    Sega said it wanted a hardcore hedgehog, so they painted in black and gave it a gun. Seriously , Sega you're a genius in what you do, in fact you are my "idol". This is a huge disappointment in the famous series, yeah, maybe i like the sonic series, but the classic one, forget about the Sonic series is lost.
  15. Oct 26, 2013
    this game could be awesome
    but sega made a lot of mistakes
    they could do something better it they would take
    his time,they could fix the gameplay,the could made
    different endings with a better story and with better levels
    with more speed and less action and ridiculous things
    why a hedgehog needs a gun and a motorcycle?
    he is the ULTIMATE LIFEFORM!!!!
  16. Mar 29, 2014
    Wow, is this even a game? Have these people ever played a Sonic game? What is the problem you ask? Well Shadow doesn't have enough guns. Also this game lacks the snorting of cocaine and the administering of heroine and other happy drugs. This is the way I think the game should've went. First, Shadow is seen at the trap house, making his daily roundabout, when all of a sudden, Dr. EggmanWow, is this even a game? Have these people ever played a Sonic game? What is the problem you ask? Well Shadow doesn't have enough guns. Also this game lacks the snorting of cocaine and the administering of heroine and other happy drugs. This is the way I think the game should've went. First, Shadow is seen at the trap house, making his daily roundabout, when all of a sudden, Dr. Eggman steals his '64 Cherry Red Impala with all sorts of suspensions and 400 inch rims. Shadow is not happy with this, and gets his glock ready. He then shouts, "hey foo, give me my muda-fcking ryde back!" And then the game ends. That would have been better than this weak excuse at a video game. Well, that's all. Expand
  17. Jun 27, 2014
    Average game

The animation isnt too good, neither is the voice acting.
    the story is kinda cool, and i like the non-linear level system
    The turning is better and more controlable

Overall, i would call it a game.
  18. Mar 22, 2015
    OK, this is going to be tough...
    So this is a game about Shadow, the black and crimson Hedgehog first seen looking like a badass in Sonic Adventure 2. This game seeks to follow his past, and provides a plot where Sonic Heroes didnt.
    But lets talk about the gameplay! So the main addition to this game are...guns. A kids character using guns. Already we're in the yellows. What is the sense
    OK, this is going to be tough...
    But lets talk about the gameplay!
    So the main addition to this game are...guns. A kids character using guns. Already we're in the yellows. What is the sense in giving a kids character a gun!? And dont hit me back with the "it's a more mature game/character" excuse, SA2 was for the lower maturity, as was Heroes. They both feature Shadow as well, children will see the familiar character and want to buy it. So the shooting system...well, its all Auto-Aim. So you have to be near the enemy to shoot them. If you can see them, that is, due to the wonky camera!
    As for the homing attack...well it does decent damage but onoy seems to be capable of hitting three targets before just flying off wherever. And by "wherever", 9/10 times it means into a bottomless pit.
    This being the PS2 version, there is Co-Op! But it is never really explained. You can play as any support character, minus Charmy the Bee, with the second controller. Kinda like Sonic 2 and Adventure.
    For spoiler reasons, i wont go over the plot, but youll find it confusing and strange. Also, you need to play the game TEN TIMES OVER to unlock the last story! Even Heroes only did that 4 times!
    Controls and movement are slippery as ever, like in Heroes. Even the graphics are pretty much the same, but due to the darker colours and other crazy stuff, it looks...uglier. Even Super Shadow looks disgusting. And you should know by now that mentioning Super Shadow isn't a spoiler.
    Not much else to say really, just that the 2P mode is pretty weak, in level missions can be a total pain and doesnt the quote " Those Black Aliens are out of control!"......sound JUST a little bit racist?
    This game is Evil!
  19. May 17, 2015
    I have spent like 60 hours on this game when I was younger. Challenge of doing every single storyline was so addicting. Music was fantastic. 8/10.. deal with it.
  20. T.J.
    Jun 20, 2005
    I was hoping for a Sonic game that wasn't based on Sonic. Shadow, when I first saw him, was a dark character and much more "Get out of my face" than Sonic. Shadow the Hedgehog was a great idea and I love it. I know people will say stuff like "Shadow sucks, make Sonic Heroes 2!" or some crap like that, but I own Sonic Heroes and I, first of all, got somewhat bored of it, especiallyI was hoping for a Sonic game that wasn't based on Sonic. Shadow, when I first saw him, was a dark character and much more "Get out of my face" than Sonic. Shadow the Hedgehog was a great idea and I love it. I know people will say stuff like "Shadow sucks, make Sonic Heroes 2!" or some crap like that, but I own Sonic Heroes and I, first of all, got somewhat bored of it, especially since you need to collect all the chaos emeralds to fight Metal Sonic. The gun was a big surprise in the Sonic universe and a big improvement personally. I wonder if you get to fight the Sonic Team if Shadow's evil and if you get to beat the yoke out of Eggman if Shadow's good. GO SHADOW!!!!!!! Expand
  21. BenV.
    Nov 13, 2005
    A complete rip-off of other much better games. You would think that combining platforming gun combat from the Ratchet and Clank series as well as "good and bad" choices from games like Fable would make a great game, but not with this. Easily the worst game this year. Sega has failed its fans once again. Here's the Bad. The gameplay is atrocious with barely any variety; your choices A complete rip-off of other much better games. You would think that combining platforming gun combat from the Ratchet and Clank series as well as "good and bad" choices from games like Fable would make a great game, but not with this. Easily the worst game this year. Sega has failed its fans once again. Here's the Bad. The gameplay is atrocious with barely any variety; your choices amount to nothing; the camera never works properly; the auto targeting reminds me of Drakes of the 99 Dragons; and the main character and story are as dull and unoriginal as ever. The Good? None really, except that it shows that Sega has no reason to exist in the gaming market. If you're simple, read this: Do not buy, rent, or get near Shadow of the Hedgehog. Expand
  22. SunnyS.
    Dec 17, 2005
    Just read the reviews and you'd understand. Crappy graphics, rubbish gameplay (like sonic heroes), really cheesey voice acting etc.
  23. JohnB.
    Feb 1, 2006
    Sega never learns...nor do the fans that continue to root Sega on for its terrible games. Sonic died back in 94 and will never come back as long as money continues to loom over Sega's shoulders.
  24. BenF.
    Apr 17, 2006
    One the games I really liked. Ignore the reviews. the people who write reviews are the adults. Remember, it's adults who grade this game, trust me. Buy it if you love shooter games.
  25. DragonKnight
    Apr 27, 2006
    Oh please, will someone please hunt this hedgehog down and shoot it. I thought the Adventure titles were bad, this makes them look like they're amazing revolutionary games. This game has poor, ugly, disgusting graphics. it has annoying, irritating, bothersome, horrid sound. The story sucks and the good/evil deal is just an annoying gimmick. The story is dull, you really don't Oh please, will someone please hunt this hedgehog down and shoot it. I thought the Adventure titles were bad, this makes them look like they're amazing revolutionary games. This game has poor, ugly, disgusting graphics. it has annoying, irritating, bothersome, horrid sound. The story sucks and the good/evil deal is just an annoying gimmick. The story is dull, you really don't care about any of these mascots now just pleading and begging for death after being humilated with such filth that are their recent games. The gameplay isn't fun in any regard. The shooting is as bad as it gets, not only is it out of place and completely ridiculous, it is horribly broken and takes many shots before you hit your wretched target. Do not buy, do not rent, just try and forget it exists. Not only this game, but every Sonic game that was made after 1994. Expand
  26. NickM.
    Jul 9, 2006
    This game goes somewhat off the point of the sonic francise, which is speed. I feel that there was too much guns and not enough speed. The gun idea was.... somewhat a good idea, but it could be better. To make the game worse, camera and controls!
  27. BoBBoBBy
    Aug 8, 2006
    COMPLETE disapointed I think I am really losing intrest in the Sonic Team's work they have run dryer than dirt and I really loved Sonic,so sad :( Oh yeah and the multiplayer was the one thing I was hoping would be good after playing the fucked up single player but it SUX there is nuthin!
  28. JayM.
    Sep 3, 2006
    i love this gam its cool i still play to find out whats happend to him but i think its a good all around shooter games if u want a shooter game this is the 1.
  29. TomK.
    Jan 22, 2007
    There's a reason why so many people here in the UK run over hedgehogs on country roads. A black emo hedgehog with a crap pistol does not a good game make. Let this animal join the black parade early.
  30. MarkK.
    Oct 6, 2007
    Simple rule: Guns + Sonic = Garbage. Some good ideas, but fails to deliver with medicore gameplay and the same flaws any other 3-d sonic game ever had. Some speed is still present but this still soulless stuff. A real shame.

#12 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2005
#9 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2005

The lack of speed is a real problem here.
    A long list of shortcomings, from stupid level design, unrefined controls and useless gunplay to disappointingly outdated graphics.
  3. Unlike last years popular and more importantly, playable, "Sonic Heroes," Shadow The Hedgehog is a misstep in almost every direction.