• Publisher: Konami
  • Also On: PC
8.8

1. ArtV
    Oct 5, 2008
    My favorite game of all time. The graphics in the CG cutscenes were revolutionary at the time (it is now 2008 and I have just beaten SH: Homecoming). The best soundtrack of all time. The best story of all time (and I do not think that any other game will create the same emotions that this game stirs up EVER. Play this game with the lights off and pay attention to all cutscenes, notes and My favorite game of all time. The graphics in the CG cutscenes were revolutionary at the time (it is now 2008 and I have just beaten SH: Homecoming). The best soundtrack of all time. The best story of all time (and I do not think that any other game will create the same emotions that this game stirs up EVER. Play this game with the lights off and pay attention to all cutscenes, notes and surroundings for the best experience. I am a 22 year old male and I seriously almost cried at the end. The story IS THAT GOOD!!!!!! Expand
  2. AndrewV.
    Oct 10, 2001
    This was one of the scariest games I have ever played. The scenery itself sends a chill down my spine. This is a must get game.
  3. DanielM
    Jan 21, 2010
    In my opinion, this is game of the year, all years. This game, is more then a game. It is so deep that almost every last little detail, from a wall's wallpaper, to a whisper that's just barely audible, and a radio's seemingly random burst of static, all has a profound and revealing reason to be there. I feel so bad that I read the ending before playing this game. If you In my opinion, this is game of the year, all years. This game, is more then a game. It is so deep that almost every last little detail, from a wall's wallpaper, to a whisper that's just barely audible, and a radio's seemingly random burst of static, all has a profound and revealing reason to be there. I feel so bad that I read the ending before playing this game. If you plan on buying this game, and this is your first non-spoiler review, please. Do not continue reading reviews, just buy it. Many reviews here have spoilers. I hope they make another Silent Hill as good as this one, and that next time, I can play through it with my knowladge of the plot inexistant. Expand
  4. AnonymousMC
    Dec 30, 2001
    i played the first one due to a friend telling me about it and i loved the scare lol. and i have just started the second one, and so far its scary to. interesting game,and hey if you love a scare , its the perfect game. wish there was a wallkthrough for it though. just to know its being played right.
  5. ErikC.
    Oct 26, 2001
    Silent Hill 2. Wow, what can I say? Much better then the first. I'm addicted to this game more then the first. Sometimes I have to put the controller down. It's like going down a spiral, it gets worse and worse as you go on getting more brutal and twisted as you go. I love it. It plays games with your mind. Hope there is a third one. I don't know if I can go on with out it.
  6. DebbieD.
    Jan 2, 2002
    SCARY!
  7. EDB
    Aug 8, 2005
    This is the game I bought a playstation 2 for. Resident evil stopped being scary long time ago. No comparison should be made between the two. SH2 is dark, scary, has tons of fear atmosphere. creatures are scary and different ( not just zombies zombies zombies...please stop with the zompies,) Also for you few dimwits who do not "get it" please do not compare this with army and stealth This is the game I bought a playstation 2 for. Resident evil stopped being scary long time ago. No comparison should be made between the two. SH2 is dark, scary, has tons of fear atmosphere. creatures are scary and different ( not just zombies zombies zombies...please stop with the zompies,) Also for you few dimwits who do not "get it" please do not compare this with army and stealth games. There is no comparison, When I want to watch a scary movie -do I got to the war section or the horror section at the video store? Let me break this down for you: If you want to play a scary horror game... Scary game = Silent Hill 2 ---Its a horror game When you want to play a stealth/war game... Stealth/War game= MGS its a stealth war game Please stop you dimwits who compare with MGS ..stop.... I love MGS but these are two different games. You miss the point of this game and if you cant broaden your gaming pleasures beyone stealth and army games then sit around playing those ..there are hundreds of those boring mindless things to choose from. This is an awesome game people -stop reading the graphics, control, etc bozos and buy the game for the atmosphere! Collapse
  8. Andrew
    Apr 11, 2006
    Without giving too much away, it will be hard for anyone to ever forget the sad tale of James Sunderland after they've played this game. Perhaps the most twisted and tragic story in gaming to date wraps up in a way that makes you think not just about right and wrong, love and hate, but also the way we as people face our demons or are destroyed by them. Not to be missed.
  9. ShawnP.
    Nov 18, 2001
    This is truly a revolutionary game, it is unlike anything I've ever seen or played before. More addictive than heroin this it the greatest survival horror game of all time and not soon to be matched.
    Nov 8, 2002
    Mike, you don't even know what you're saying. are you sure you're a gamer who knows what kind of game you're looking at? silent hill 2 rates an 11 if you ask me and you rate a 1 in my book of gamers!
  11. Ryan
    Feb 13, 2002
    Mike you suck for giveing the game a one unknown.
  12. BloodEmperor
    Oct 14, 2004
    My favourite silent hill game so far (4 is already out) the storyline, the atmosphere, the action, the horror.. the horror.. the horror... Ahem sorry. Silent hill 2 is a major step up from silent hill 1 which lets you run round an even larger area of silent hill than in any of the other games. The graphics arent as plush as SH3 but they are gritty and realistic (especially with the My favourite silent hill game so far (4 is already out) the storyline, the atmosphere, the action, the horror.. the horror.. the horror... Ahem sorry. Silent hill 2 is a major step up from silent hill 1 which lets you run round an even larger area of silent hill than in any of the other games. The graphics arent as plush as SH3 but they are gritty and realistic (especially with the 'noise effect' on) and the gameplay of this game is short of godly.. seriously Buy this game (silent hill 2 the directors cut is also out there if you look and it has a cool 'extra game' in it) Expand
  13. JacobS.
    Oct 13, 2009
    While the gameplay is a little meh (what do you expect from an old survival horror game) the story and atmosphere more than make up for it. It is by far the best of the Silent HIll series, with a truly unique and disturbing story. Team Silent is still trying to match it's glory, but have fallen short everytime.
  14. TinC.
    Nov 12, 2001
    This is a really good game. It has amazing graphics and a great storyline. No matter how hard or how lost you get, this game is still fun! It must be the best horror game ever ade. There is NOTHING bad about this game. Hard to believe, but true!!
  15. RuuddeBruut
    Nov 15, 2001
    I didn't play it jet but it is now already a classic.
  16. JamesB.
    Dec 18, 2001
    This game really takes advantage of the PS2's ability to create beautiful lighting and great looking characters. One of the best games for PS2. (also I'd like to say PS2 kicks ass!)
  17. ReidL.
    Dec 23, 2001
    Silent Hill 2, one of the best games I have ever played, I beat it 12-22-01.
  18. RandyM
    Jan 24, 2010
    One of the best survival horror games ever. I STILL play this game, and it STILL scares me. The sound design is nothing short of pure genius.
  19. MikeS.
    Sep 29, 2001
    This is so far the best horror game to hit any gaming system. Everything is great, the story, the graphics, the sound. Let me tell you something though, if you want to get really, really scared, play this game at about 11-12 at night with the lights off and you will be terrified. Buy this game if you don't... well go buy it anyway!
  20. Dan
    Jul 19, 2002
    Not only does silent hill 2 have top of the line graphics, groundbreaking sound effects, and is a hell of a good time to play... it does something not many other games do. and that's tell a good story. a mindbending surrealistic exploration into the depths of a tortured mind, and probably one of the greatest dark love stories ever told. silent hill 2 is a disturbing, yet strangelyNot only does silent hill 2 have top of the line graphics, groundbreaking sound effects, and is a hell of a good time to play... it does something not many other games do. and that's tell a good story. a mindbending surrealistic exploration into the depths of a tortured mind, and probably one of the greatest dark love stories ever told. silent hill 2 is a disturbing, yet strangely moving experience. not many games can boast that. Expand
  21. SamC.
    Apr 13, 2007
    Quite simply the best game I have ever played on any system. I've played every Resident Evil and every Silent Hill along with many other survival horror games and this has an edge on all of them. On top of the freaky enemies and outstanding settings that will disturb you to the point of sickness, this game has an outstanding plot that will mess with your mind and keep you wondering Quite simply the best game I have ever played on any system. I've played every Resident Evil and every Silent Hill along with many other survival horror games and this has an edge on all of them. On top of the freaky enemies and outstanding settings that will disturb you to the point of sickness, this game has an outstanding plot that will mess with your mind and keep you wondering until the end only to blow you away. If you play this late at night with the lights out and alone your guaranteed for a good eerie feeling. Expand
  22. Dante399L
    Jan 31, 2008
    This game is not just a game, it is something beyond that. It is a creative and a beautiful story which is told in the most brilliant way. Fans of horror stories will love this game; because it is a mixture of Stephen King's, Dean Koontz' and James Herbert's stories!
  23. Piranha
    Nov 12, 2003
    Creepy.
  24. Nov 30, 2010
    This game is like no other when you compare it to other survival/horror games out there (maybe except Fatal Frame, Siren, etc...). The story becomes climatic, symbolisms are scattered throughout the game, the characterizations and atmosphere create an overwhelming sense of isolation. I could go on, but in short, a classic psycological experience meant to be played by all
  25. Jan 26, 2011
    Best game ever. Best Silent Hill period. Best soundtrack. Best story. This game is the definition of perfect. The sub-par controls actually increase the tension factor of the game. I hear some people saying "you might as well run by all the monsters rather than fight", isn't that a good option to have?! If Silent Hill were real, I assure you, I would run through that town as well. TheBest game ever. Best Silent Hill period. Best soundtrack. Best story. This game is the definition of perfect. The sub-par controls actually increase the tension factor of the game. I hear some people saying "you might as well run by all the monsters rather than fight", isn't that a good option to have?! If Silent Hill were real, I assure you, I would run through that town as well. The story is ridiculously creepy and emotional. The characters are insane, and make you uneasy. Environments are stellar and fit right in with the whole package. I am a fan of all Silent Hill games, but this will never be trumped. My favorite game of all time. (and I have played plenty) Expand
  26. Mar 24, 2011
    Okay the gameplay is average but this game is the best example that gameplay doesn't make a survival horror game good.The story is one of the best for a horror game.Graphics are very good for its time.Has very creepy environments and also good soundtracks.This is already enough for me to give this game a 10.
  27. May 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best Survival game ever. Consistent plot, fully emotional music by Akira Yamaoka, violent imagery, intense claustrophobic atmosphere. And Pyramid Head will never leave your dreams. Disturbingly awesome! Expand
  28. Jun 11, 2011
    It's not as freaky as the first Silent Hill, but it basically defines the franchise as a whole and what Silent Hill really is. It's a psychological hell that is different for everyone. The atmosphere in this Silent Hill is equally effective as it was in the first and the introduction of Pyramid Head is by far one of the most unexpected and horrifying monster appearances ever, and yet it'sIt's not as freaky as the first Silent Hill, but it basically defines the franchise as a whole and what Silent Hill really is. It's a psychological hell that is different for everyone. The atmosphere in this Silent Hill is equally effective as it was in the first and the introduction of Pyramid Head is by far one of the most unexpected and horrifying monster appearances ever, and yet it's also one of the most simple and subtle (this is before we see that he goes about raping monsters - which is also disturbing as hell). Then again, though it's all startling at points, this game is really subtle and is slow at points. It really eases you into the horror which helps make it a psychologically, disturbing success. Though this isn't a direct sequel to Silent Hill, it is a very important installment and shows that Team Silent know their horror - and Akira Yamaoka is the master of atmospheric sound editing and unsettling music, which is bizarre but beautiful at the same time. Expand
  29. Jul 5, 2011
    The absolute pinnacle of video game storytelling and storytelling in general. Never before has any work of art gripped me with it's story as much as this one. The gameplay is average but that compliments the gameplay wonderfully as your character is not a space marine, or an SAS commando, or 'the chosen one' he's an average man who has to come to terms with the horrible things he isThe absolute pinnacle of video game storytelling and storytelling in general. Never before has any work of art gripped me with it's story as much as this one. The gameplay is average but that compliments the gameplay wonderfully as your character is not a space marine, or an SAS commando, or 'the chosen one' he's an average man who has to come to terms with the horrible things he is responsible for.
    If storytelling in games is your thing then this is the only game you'll need.
  30. Jan 8, 2012
    A truly epic survival horror game.10/10.... side note, the review from "Mike" who gave it a "1" is one of the most stupidest reviews Ive read of a game.
  31. Dec 7, 2011
    The best game of all the history.
    rated M from MASTERPIECE.
    Silent Hill 2 is PERFECTION.
    Silent Hill 2 is the TRUE SURVIVAL HORROR.
    Silent Hill 2 is THE BEST GAME EVER.
  32. May 7, 2013
    Silent Hill 2 is the best horror game ever created. The whole game, the journey, the monsters are psychological introspection of the protagonist who has one of the best psychology dealt with in a game. With increasingly disturbing atmospheres, a sound scary puzzles and well made, Silent Hill 2 will make you live a nightmare but it will also move.
  33. Jun 19, 2014
    Una auténtica obra maestra del terror. Cuando Silent Hill parecía insuperable, llega esta segunda parte que sin ser mejor, sólo distinta, puso en una nueva órbita a la saga, creando toda una legión de acérrimos fanáticos enamorados del planteamiento. Su madurísima trama, los momentos impactantes e inolvidables, sus misteriosos personajes y el resultado final le han ganado un lugarUna auténtica obra maestra del terror. Cuando Silent Hill parecía insuperable, llega esta segunda parte que sin ser mejor, sólo distinta, puso en una nueva órbita a la saga, creando toda una legión de acérrimos fanáticos enamorados del planteamiento. Su madurísima trama, los momentos impactantes e inolvidables, sus misteriosos personajes y el resultado final le han ganado un lugar privilegiado en la historia del género junto a su hermano SH1. Expand
  34. Mar 14, 2012
    This is the most touching and greated game ive ever played. I love the game so much. The voice work is perfect, the graphics are perfect, the scare is perfect. Btw, @Mike... SHUT UP! Your rating this game bad cause its not as good as metal gear? WTF? Completely different game series, and metal gear is not even a horror title! OMG! You sir, are imbred.
  35. Apr 6, 2012
    It's a deepest game i played so far. OST is perfect, amazing characters design, beautiful CGI and saddest story. And after 10 years this game still in my heart.
  36. May 30, 2012
    This is my favorite game of all time, and has been for over a decade. In my book it's the holy grail of the horror genre, and is more than just a horror game. The story is also one of the most deep and emotional stories ever created in a game, and no matter how many times you play it, you'll still pick up on details you hadn't noticed before. I would steer clear of the HD collectionThis is my favorite game of all time, and has been for over a decade. In my book it's the holy grail of the horror genre, and is more than just a horror game. The story is also one of the most deep and emotional stories ever created in a game, and no matter how many times you play it, you'll still pick up on details you hadn't noticed before. I would steer clear of the HD collection though, it's not a very good rendition of the game. If you can track down a copy of the ps2 or xbox version, I would do that. Expand
  37. Feb 20, 2014
    Wouldn't it be crazy if, like, a very good game had a sequel that actually lived up to it, in some ways even surpassed it, did a completely different thing from the first one plot-wise but still maintained its basis perfectly, which had an astounding art direction even for today's standards and with a great intricate yet not entirely open but deducible plot that despite having the mostWouldn't it be crazy if, like, a very good game had a sequel that actually lived up to it, in some ways even surpassed it, did a completely different thing from the first one plot-wise but still maintained its basis perfectly, which had an astounding art direction even for today's standards and with a great intricate yet not entirely open but deducible plot that despite having the most cliché premise of all time still managed to pull that off amazingly, which had puzzles that manage to not undermine the player's intelligence, had replay value, and had music as amazing as the first one but with added acoustic guitar goodness, and on top of it all the authors had moral standards about things such as natural acting for their voice actors and actually did quite some thinking and research in order to deliver the innovative psychological experience they wanted to deliver?

Man, that would rock.
  38. Jan 8, 2015
    Honestly, this is the greatest game of all time. It's not overrated in the slightest and deserves every bit of praise it receives. People may dislike it, but if you dislike it... shut up about it and let the people who appreciate it love it. The mechanics are aging... but the story and the atmosphere remains just as chilling as they were the day this game was released. I really hope SilentHonestly, this is the greatest game of all time. It's not overrated in the slightest and deserves every bit of praise it receives. People may dislike it, but if you dislike it... shut up about it and let the people who appreciate it love it. The mechanics are aging... but the story and the atmosphere remains just as chilling as they were the day this game was released. I really hope Silent Hills stands up to this game, because at this point... I don't see how anything can top this. Expand
  39. Jun 25, 2012
    I can see some people soiling this brilliant gem of a game with comments like "I didn't understand the story" or that the graphics weren't up to par, and it is understandable that SH fans might get angry over this, but to me, this is simply separating the chaff from the wheat, or creating an elite class of video game players, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. By getting these responses,I can see some people soiling this brilliant gem of a game with comments like "I didn't understand the story" or that the graphics weren't up to par, and it is understandable that SH fans might get angry over this, but to me, this is simply separating the chaff from the wheat, or creating an elite class of video game players, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. By getting these responses, the game is achieving what it should, by erasing the players who are not clever enough to unpick the story. a game shouldn't bow down to a moron for a sale, it should stand proud as something desirable to someone more *ahem* intellectual, in the same way that Killer 7 was ostracized for being a little bit original, although what it achieved was a masterpiece, it didn't sell because it wasn't HALO 2 and didn't apply to the wider audience. So if you didn't understand the story or something, and you thought it was boring, put the game on eBay and let someone who will enjoy it for the dark and intense story and atmosphere have a go, because this game is getting rare now, and you simply don't deserve to own it. Expand
  40. Oct 25, 2012
    Silent Hill 2 is literary genius embodied in a video-game. Symbolism plagues the town in this which game takes place, leaving story intensely convoluted and abstract. This in no way impairs the game though, but instead adds to the tension of the situation, And If are able to untangle the complex ideals that this intelligent game offers, you will be rewarded with story that parallels (andSilent Hill 2 is literary genius embodied in a video-game. Symbolism plagues the town in this which game takes place, leaving story intensely convoluted and abstract. This in no way impairs the game though, but instead adds to the tension of the situation, And If are able to untangle the complex ideals that this intelligent game offers, you will be rewarded with story that parallels (and in some cases surpasses) a novel. In general, Silent Hill 2 is BADASS!!! Expand
  41. Aug 12, 2012
    This game, even though it is old by today's standards is one of the best games ever made. People complain that the game has sucky controls or its not action-y enough but that's not the point of survival horror games such as Silent Hill. They just don't make games like this anymore, this is a rare one with so much thought and detail put into every little thing. The story let alone isThis game, even though it is old by today's standards is one of the best games ever made. People complain that the game has sucky controls or its not action-y enough but that's not the point of survival horror games such as Silent Hill. They just don't make games like this anymore, this is a rare one with so much thought and detail put into every little thing. The story let alone is just enough to make you want to play it cause it goes so deep and into the mind of the player. Sure the controls are a little annoying and combats not so great throughout but it wouldn't get the same effect from players if it was changed. Let alone the different endings you receive based on how you treat you character and some other instances but you do get into the game. The 1st time i played it i was en-raveled by the story and just felt compelled to keep playing it until i found everything out and its just amazing at how much of a masterpiece this game really is. Hopefully someday a game like this will appear again and i shall wait until than, but for now this game is still one of the best, get it if you like this kind of game. Expand
  42. Nov 8, 2012
    This game is amazing, but your not going to fully understand until you play through it. The reasons for it being good don't really translate well into text, and if you don't know about this game, then most of the things I could say would be far fetched. All you need to know is this game has something most horror games made today fail at achieving: great characters and atmosphere. The gameThis game is amazing, but your not going to fully understand until you play through it. The reasons for it being good don't really translate well into text, and if you don't know about this game, then most of the things I could say would be far fetched. All you need to know is this game has something most horror games made today fail at achieving: great characters and atmosphere. The game does a fantastic job of making people who are interesting and unique, and it makes the town so damn creepy that, no joke, I could only play it alone in the dark for about 2 hours at a time, because any longer than that would make my heart jump out of my chest and leave the room without me. If you haven't already played this game yet, I highly reccommend the HD remastered version, as they also got new voice actors to do the dialog again, and once you compare the 2, you will definitely notice a jump in quality from the original voices to the new ones. Plus, if you don't like the new voices, you have the option to have the old ones play, so no worries for hardcore fans. This game wants to scare you while making you think, and it succeeds. No flaws that aren't intentional, so no reduced score. A great cure for modern horror games, with the exception of Amnesia and Slender Expand
  43. Mar 30, 2013
    An absolute gem. One of the best survival horror games ever made. The atmosphere and story telling is (for the most part) still better than many games released today, I could not recommend it enough, even if the controls and graphically fidelity are a little archaic by today's standards, that shouldn't stop you from playing this near-perfect masterpiece.
  44. May 4, 2014
    Simply the greatest,and scariest survival horror game ever. Not for the faint hearted mind, this game can make you feel suffocated and depressed, i first played this game in 2001 when i was just 14 and even now it still scary. Classic
  45. May 12, 2013
    A top survival-horror has its profession to make itself very real, and yet this game is spectacularly unforgettable. If you think all survival-horror is crap as then play Silent Hill, ALL TIME best horror game NO QUESTION!
  46. Jan 17, 2013
    This game is totaly the best horror survival game of all time.All problems from the first game are now all fixed.The Control are perfect.The graphics are very good (for its time) and the storyline is so deep that you will cry even if you don't usually cry you don't have a chance it this game.This game is truly a masterpiece
  47. Jan 13, 2013
    Silent Hill 2 is one of the greatest phsychological horror games ever released.
  48. Mar 11, 2013
    This story put Resident Evil's story-lines to shame. At certain points, you pretty much feel just like the character does. I've never sobbed so much due to a game, and for that, this get a perfect score, despite the fact that controls are awful.
  49. May 22, 2013
    Despite having some of the worse combat in the history of gaming and a camera that freaks out from time to time it is never the less the best horror game to date and my favorite game.
  50. Jul 13, 2013
    AMAZING. What an incredible experience. I love this game. Amazing storyline, fantastic characters, creepy, chilling atmosphere, timeless gameplay and world, never before has a game world drawn me in so much. What can I say that hasn't been said before. Definitely check this out if you're a fan.
  51. Feb 4, 2014
    Probablemente el mejor Silent Hill de la serie, por su increible atmosfera e historia apasionante, hasta donde estarias dispuesto para encontrarte nuevamente con tu gran amor de tu vida si sabes que ella no esta en este mundo.
  52. Dec 12, 2013
    This game tested my sanity. I had nightmares sometimes. It's that scary. This game uses lot of creepy environment, things that weren't there before, and terrifying looking enemies to scare you. While doing all this, it manages to keep the storyline well flowing. Highly recommended
  53. Nov 24, 2013
    An original Silent Hill fan here. Not having played this game until recently is my largest gaming mistake I ever made (never owned a PS2). I'd want to wipe my memory of it and go back in time when PS2 originally came out just to play it there and then. For now I'll have to settle in with what I've got (a PC port of it in 2013). Akira Yamaoka is surely one of the best game music composersAn original Silent Hill fan here. Not having played this game until recently is my largest gaming mistake I ever made (never owned a PS2). I'd want to wipe my memory of it and go back in time when PS2 originally came out just to play it there and then. For now I'll have to settle in with what I've got (a PC port of it in 2013). Akira Yamaoka is surely one of the best game music composers I've come across through gameplay. This game is a great example of what happens when a team (Team Silent) succeeds with 1st game and gets enough funding for a sequel while not losing their tempo. Something similar happened when Remedy released Max Payne 2, you could see what dedication with enough funding results in. Expand
  54. Jan 24, 2014
    First game i ever played where i liked all the characters! And actually cared about what happens to them! The story is deep and most people may not get why James personal silent hill has bars and chains link fence everywhere (no spoilers look it up) You know a games good when even the atmosphere of the game ties into the characters inner suppressed feelings.10/10 most own stay far awayFirst game i ever played where i liked all the characters! And actually cared about what happens to them! The story is deep and most people may not get why James personal silent hill has bars and chains link fence everywhere (no spoilers look it up) You know a games good when even the atmosphere of the game ties into the characters inner suppressed feelings.10/10 most own stay far away from the 'clear' or 'cleaner' HD remake silent hill 2 is ment to be murky and foggy. Not to mention even the main terrifying enemy Pyramid head has a meaning (this one will surprise you for sure). Only negative is the game takes 12 hours to beat. I recommend playing it at night and reading all the dairy entries. Expand
  55. Jan 5, 2014
    If you are going to play this game, get ready to be ruined forever on a majority of horror video games. This game does not go for the over-the-top thrills and the constant presence of visceral horror, but rather goes for an atmosphere of inescapable paranoia and disturbing visuals that are almost more horrifying after completing the game than during. In fact, it is the subdued nature ofIf you are going to play this game, get ready to be ruined forever on a majority of horror video games. This game does not go for the over-the-top thrills and the constant presence of visceral horror, but rather goes for an atmosphere of inescapable paranoia and disturbing visuals that are almost more horrifying after completing the game than during. In fact, it is the subdued nature of the game that makes it so horrifying, as very little of the game leaves a realistic (or at least as realistic as possible) setting. However, while you are being driven out of your mind by the static of the radio that tells you something is there when you cannot see it, the game tells a masterful story of stories, as the people (including the protagonist) all deal with the unspeakable things that have happened in their life, and their own terrible deeds that are even more haunting. The gameplay is also top-notch for a survival horror game, and in truth has better gameplay than many of the games that follow it (remember: the occasional awkwardness in the controls is intentional, since its purpose is to increase the feeling of helplessness in the disturbing setting). All this combines into a game that transcends game-generations, and makes it a timeless classic of this fading genre. Expand
  56. Aug 22, 2014
    Simply a masterpiece. Sound/Soundtrack flawless by Akira Yamaoka. Story flawless. Graphics great for 2001. Gripping, chilling, terrifying. But at the same time feels like home.

57. Sep 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My favorite game of the Silent Hill franchise. It has good gameplay, decent graphics for a PS2 era title and the story is in depth. The further you get into the game you can tell there's clearly something wrong with the protagonist and it makes you want to press on to find out exactly what happened to him "three years ago". Depending upon your actions in the game there are 5 possible endings to achieve, 2 are only available in a New Game+ and require certain items to be collected during a playthrough, which adds to the replayability. There are also unlockable weapons some of which are only awarded upon getting a certain score on the End Results Screen. And replaying the game may offer more insight into James' psyche as well as the manifestations in Silent Hill. Expand
  58. Mar 12, 2015
    The symbolism alone makes this worth a few replays, not to mention the alternate endings you can unlock. The story is haunting once it comes into place, and the atmosphere is immeasurable. One of the best psychological horror games ever, if not the best. Play it with the lights off -- you'll be terrified.
  59. WilliamG.
    Feb 6, 2007
    I loved this game when it was initially released, and I still do. James is, by far, one of the best video game characters ever created. It's not often you get to play a title featuring a haggard, depressed shell of a human so far lost in despair that he couldn't hope to claw his way out even in the best possible outcome. With all subsequent titles hinting at James' true I loved this game when it was initially released, and I still do. James is, by far, one of the best video game characters ever created. It's not often you get to play a title featuring a haggard, depressed shell of a human so far lost in despair that he couldn't hope to claw his way out even in the best possible outcome. With all subsequent titles hinting at James' true ending resulting in his suicide after learning the truth behind his wife's death, it makes this experience even more unique. No happy endings, no light at the end of the tunnel. It's everything Silent Hill should be; hopeless, desperate and lost, in a good way, of course. Unlike the other titles in the series, James plays no significant part in the events surrounding Silent Hill's creation and existence. He's simply another hopeless soul lost in the chaos. No sacrifices, no ceremonies or resurrections, he's utterly and completely irrelevant in regards to the "big picture." He's a pebble in a whirlwind, and it's so fantastically ironic that the character with the least significance in the series also provides the most psychological and enthrawling experience to the player. Kudos to the Konami team for their effort and to Akira Yamaoka for the best "survival-horror" soundtrack ever recorded. Expand
  60. JamesS.
    Feb 2, 2002
    Silent Hill 2 is the most scariest, gruesome, mind-bending game I've ever played. There's just a few little problems which keeps it from being perfect.
  61. BenN.
    Apr 4, 2003
    Brilliant, really scary and i brought the directors cut version, just play this game in the dark and you are gonna s**t urself.
  62. ThisPerson
    Jun 27, 2009
    Silent Hill 2. The cult-hit, the game you hear mentioned over and over again when talking about horror games or deep stories in games. Considered often the best game in the series with the very first one. And for a good reason. Forget Resident Evil's "Monster-through-the-window"-scares, gore enough to fill a pool and hi-tech weaponry, Silent Hills focus on so called "Psychological Silent Hill 2. The cult-hit, the game you hear mentioned over and over again when talking about horror games or deep stories in games. Considered often the best game in the series with the very first one. And for a good reason. Forget Resident Evil's "Monster-through-the-window"-scares, gore enough to fill a pool and hi-tech weaponry, Silent Hills focus on so called "Psychological horror", where the very disturbing images, settings and audio make you feel uneasy and disgusted. Most of the time it's the what you can't see but you hear that scares you the most, and that's what Team Silent knows. The game's nearly totally covered in either thick fog or darkness where the only light source you often have is your flashlight. Add creepy, disgusting and most importantly very... original sound effects and music track, and you'll find yourself being spooked by even complete emptiness. What about the story? Well, where SH1 mostly focused on "demonic-forces" pouring from the "possessed", suffering mind of certain victim of horrible past, SH2 offers a bit different kind of, "more gentle" story where it's not always clear what is "real", while still implying every thing's not just a dream, the "forces" of the town apparently just working in the background. All the characters have some sort of tragic past and are experiencing the town in their very own way, making the line between "reality", "delusion" and the "otherworld" blur even further, leading to some serious mind-screwing at best. Judging by some review here, not everybody has payed enough attention during the game, they either played it just once by rushing it or they have not researched about all the symbolism and gentle hints of the game that it offers. Add 6 different endings depending on HOW you play the game and what you have done while playing it, unlockable bonuses and a beautiful but sad and disgusting story, SH2 offers a great mature horror experience that does not just throw blood and guts at you. I also do recommend the other games in the series, especially the first and third ones, both of which present a quite a bit more "aggressive" experiences, still having some psychological-teasing and symbolisms. Expand
  63. JayL.
    Sep 28, 2001
    This is a great game. After playing Silent Hill 2, what was that other series... Resident something... haha.. it doesn't matter anyways. The Silent Hill series is here to stay.
  64. Rachael
    Jan 12, 2002
    It's brilliant....fantastic graphics, great story line but its too short! Thats the only thing which is bad about it. Its way better than the first one ( because of graphics and story line!) oh yeah complete it 3 times and you get the '...' ending its hilarious!
  65. ApocalypseBrown
    Oct 23, 2005
    Never since the likes of Resident Evil 2 and Metal Gear Solid has a game gripped me and filled me with such joy, pain and scary memories. Yes the controls are flawed, yes the camera is awful but all of these add to the sense of fear and inpending doom. The story is the best on the ps2, but it's losing a ten due to some really pointless bits in the game (walking in the dark for an Never since the likes of Resident Evil 2 and Metal Gear Solid has a game gripped me and filled me with such joy, pain and scary memories. Yes the controls are flawed, yes the camera is awful but all of these add to the sense of fear and inpending doom. The story is the best on the ps2, but it's losing a ten due to some really pointless bits in the game (walking in the dark for an hour to find a key). Overall a must for all horror fans, until project zero 2 comes round. Expand
  66. GrantZ
    Aug 22, 2009
    Silent Hill 2, is quite possibly one of the best horror's to grace the Playstation, creepy, tense and has good sound. However it's not as good as the original mainly because, the main protagonist is hateful. I cared about Harry Mason, he couldn't run right FGS, then James comes along, killing his own wife, and wondering why a massive man with a pyramid for a head and a huge Silent Hill 2, is quite possibly one of the best horror's to grace the Playstation, creepy, tense and has good sound. However it's not as good as the original mainly because, the main protagonist is hateful. I cared about Harry Mason, he couldn't run right FGS, then James comes along, killing his own wife, and wondering why a massive man with a pyramid for a head and a huge sword is coming after him. Still it's a pretty epic game, let-down by some graphical glitches, it was my entry into the series, and i love it still. Story is just tacky. BUT WOOOO, it introduced us to the infamous Pyramid Head. "Hello Nice To Meet You" I LOVE HIM. "MARRY ME PYRAMID HEAD!!!!". Expand
  67. JohnL.
    Feb 11, 2002
    If you like reading H.P. Lovecraft and get a kick from pondering the way human conscience works then this is the game for you. The story of James wandering around in Silent Hill in search of his wife will compel you onwards. The graphics and camera angles are eerie. The feelings that come to you as you bludgeon the nth monster that gets in your way are best unsaid. The only problem I If you like reading H.P. Lovecraft and get a kick from pondering the way human conscience works then this is the game for you. The story of James wandering around in Silent Hill in search of his wife will compel you onwards. The graphics and camera angles are eerie. The feelings that come to you as you bludgeon the nth monster that gets in your way are best unsaid. The only problem I found with this game was the combat. Depending on how much pressure you place on the attack key, James will do different attacks. This can let you down at the worst of times. Overall though a fantastic and disturbing game. Expand
  68. MikeyC.
    Jun 18, 2002
    I loved every second. it scared the hell out of me. its got to be one of the top five games for ps2. the graphics are so good. i cant wait for the next one. the only thing i have to complain about is the story line. i stopped and scratched my head a few times, but after the 4th time i beat it i think i got it down.
  69. NinjaMafia
    Nov 28, 2003
    Wow. Thats what I said when I finished Silent Hill 2. Not only is it a good sequel to an already superior game, but it manages to deliver one of the best stories I have ever heard. Okay, you are James Sunderland, your wife died years ago. Suddenly, you get a letter from Mary, youre wife, telling you to meet her at the town of Silent Hill. You are a bit confused but go anyway. When you get Wow. Thats what I said when I finished Silent Hill 2. Not only is it a good sequel to an already superior game, but it manages to deliver one of the best stories I have ever heard. Okay, you are James Sunderland, your wife died years ago. Suddenly, you get a letter from Mary, youre wife, telling you to meet her at the town of Silent Hill. You are a bit confused but go anyway. When you get there, it is desserted. You eventually find a few living people, one of them looks exactly like youre wife. I haven't even scratched teh surface yet. This game has a disturbing mature story that video games don't often have. The story deals with murder, sexual abuse, the fragile emotions of a human being and other stuff. Yeah, it might take you a while to get the story, even after you have beaten the game, but it is a very good one. No thats and understatement, a Ultra extreme good one. Now on to the gameplay. The gameplay is actually very good. You will get scared plenty of times. But don't expect the Resident Evil scare. Think of I'm going to make you creeped out by the atmosphere scary. The graphics were also superb. The grainy look gave it a spooky touch. The only reason I'm not giving this game a ten is because I didn't feel like replaying it over and over again. Every game should do that, even suvival horros. Yeah and now I'm off to explain to Mike some things about silent hill. What created the monsters? It was actually James taht created the monsters. Listen to the story once in a while, you might pick up on something. Oh and no comparision to MGS2 eh? Only your entire review was comparing the two games. I don't remember much but I'm POSITIVELY sure that MGS2 and SH2 are COMPLETELY different games. Silent Hill is a Horro, MGs is a stealth. and also, how much of the game did you play? You didn't just see yellow lines throughout the whole game. There were walls and buildings. Oh and excuse me for not being able to not make the pipe strike the wall. Did it really matter that much? Same with moving the chair, really. MGS2 was incredibly unrealistic, this game even tries to be more onrealistsic but you bash it for that. I couldn't shoot through the little holes in the lockers in MGS2 could I? No but that didn't make me hate that game anymore. All in all, if you are looking for a disturbing storyline, pick Silent Hill 2 up NOW! Expand
  70. MattP.
    Apr 14, 2003
    Silent Hill 2 is one of my top games, the sound and look are like nothing else on PS2 and it's scary as hell. Plus you get a bonus disc (PAL version).
  71. Nov 16, 2013
    An absolute masterpiece about a man coming to terms with his past, and a great self-contained story that doesn't dwell on the at times opaque mythology or history of how Henry got there or why all this is happening in Silent Hill. It also contains beautiful/grotesque graphics (depending on your viewpoint) that really being across the worst of the human mind, as well as one of theAn absolute masterpiece about a man coming to terms with his past, and a great self-contained story that doesn't dwell on the at times opaque mythology or history of how Henry got there or why all this is happening in Silent Hill. It also contains beautiful/grotesque graphics (depending on your viewpoint) that really being across the worst of the human mind, as well as one of the greatest/most appropriate/unnerving soundtracks of all time, being one of the few experiences where the occasional use of silence brings across even more tension than any horror soundtrack. Expand
  72. Mar 29, 2012
    This game is just a masterpiece in all aspect, sound, acting, story, characters, script, graphics, design, you should play it if you haven't already.
  73. Jul 26, 2011
    Silent Hill 2, with it's fogged atmosphere, terrifying creaks and sounds, the inner-workings of James' mind manifesting teach him a graphic and unforgettable lesson that literally shivers your spine as each minute passes by playing this horror-king of a game.
  74. Jun 23, 2013
    In my restless dreams.... I mean in my opinion, this is THE BEST horror game of all time. SH2 is frighting, scary, pressing, sad and overall amazing horror game. This is psychological horror at it's best. The story becomes climatic, symbolisms are scattered throughout the game, the characterizations and atmosphere create an overwhelming sense of isolation. I could go on, but in short, aIn my restless dreams.... I mean in my opinion, this is THE BEST horror game of all time. SH2 is frighting, scary, pressing, sad and overall amazing horror game. This is psychological horror at it's best. The story becomes climatic, symbolisms are scattered throughout the game, the characterizations and atmosphere create an overwhelming sense of isolation. I could go on, but in short, a classic psychological experience meant to be played by all. Expand
  75. Aug 14, 2012
    This game is nothing short of amazing. First off, it's mind-numbingly scary, due to its thick atmosphere and eerie soundtrack. Slowly making your way through tight corridors and fog-ridden streets, becomes both a pain and a pleasure. Secondly, the story is superb, both to people who only plow through the game once and don't give it much afterthought, and to those who look to decipher itThis game is nothing short of amazing. First off, it's mind-numbingly scary, due to its thick atmosphere and eerie soundtrack. Slowly making your way through tight corridors and fog-ridden streets, becomes both a pain and a pleasure. Secondly, the story is superb, both to people who only plow through the game once and don't give it much afterthought, and to those who look to decipher it even further. The only noteworthy drawbacks are the slightly tedious and repetitive boss fights, and the fact that there is too much ammunition available to you. Though, in the long haul, Silent Hill 2 is definitely worthy of a playthrough or two. Expand
  76. Oct 4, 2012
    Those who reviewed this game negatively didn't understand what it is about. Saying the story Silent Hill 2 was bad because it was confusing and hard to understand or because it's psychological rather than "real" monsters or because it lacks action is like saying Pac-Man is stupid because you wanted to play Tetris. Sure, the controls are not the best and fighting is a pain in the assThose who reviewed this game negatively didn't understand what it is about. Saying the story Silent Hill 2 was bad because it was confusing and hard to understand or because it's psychological rather than "real" monsters or because it lacks action is like saying Pac-Man is stupid because you wanted to play Tetris. Sure, the controls are not the best and fighting is a pain in the ass (that's why I give it a 9 rather than 10). But Silent Hill is not about fighting, it's about inflicting fear, and if you know fighting will be hard, you don't want to meet monsters. It has one of the deepest stories ever in games and so much effort was put in the details. Each monster, every place represents an aspect of the protagonist's psyche. Even now, when the game is pretty old, I still get scared when playing it. And that's what it's about. Expand
  77. Oct 18, 2012
    Hypnotic and haunting, "Silent Hill 2" represents the series at its very best. Players are cast in the role of James Sunderland, a widower who receives a cryptic letter from his late spouse, Mary. The letter instructs for him to go to their "special place" in Silent Hill. After he arrives, James meets a scared woman named Maria who physically resembles Mary. Together, they try to find theHypnotic and haunting, "Silent Hill 2" represents the series at its very best. Players are cast in the role of James Sunderland, a widower who receives a cryptic letter from his late spouse, Mary. The letter instructs for him to go to their "special place" in Silent Hill. After he arrives, James meets a scared woman named Maria who physically resembles Mary. Together, they try to find the person who sent the letter. Meanwhile, the town of Silent Hill sinks into a literal darkness, while its inhabitants increasingly act in all sorts of bizarre manners.

"Silent Hill 2" is not a direct sequel to the original game. It contains a new cast of characters and a completely different story. And thanks to the graphical capabilities of the PS2, it is a visual powerhouse. The stark lighting effects and photo-realistic textures will often startle you. Gameplay-wise, "Silent Hill 2" resembles the first game but it also includes a few obscure puzzles that will rattle your brain. As a whole, SH 2 is a mind-bender. This is a psychological horror game that is every bit as trippy as the 1990 genre film "Jacob's Ladder".

While it might be too slow for some, "Silent Hill 2" rewards dedicated players with killer moments of mystery and suspense. And once again, Akira Yamaoka's stirring score compliments the unique asthetic of the game. "Silent Hill 2" is an artistic, one-of-a-kind horror game that is a must play for fans of the genre.
  78. Jul 19, 2013
    The first time i made a review in this game a gave it a 8 but that was totally unfair and not right. This is one of my favorite survival horror games ever on the ps2, ps3 and even pc. So emotional and creepy in every aspect. Pyramid Head is the monster i most fear.
    Nothing more needs to be said, if you're an hardcore survival horror player that loves good plots your love this masterpiece of horror!
  79. Sep 15, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic. This has to be my favorite survival horror game so far.

Graphics are great. Voice acting is improved on the original. Writing is just mind blowing. Silent Hill 2 takes everything it did in the first game and made it better in every regard, aside from combat (it still sucks, but is slightly better.) Overall: I really wish I could give this game more praise, but
    Absolutely fantastic. This has to be my favorite survival horror game so far.

Overall:
    I really wish I could give this game more praise, but I can't. I enjoyed every minute of this game and found myself replaying it over and over just to see and discover everything. This is a fantastic game that belongs in everyones collection.

Side note:
    BTW The original is better than the HD remake (hence, why I won't review it.)
  80. Mar 1, 2013
    You know that feeling when you always look at the cover of one game that you want to try but for some reason never buy? Well that's what happened to me for years and after craving for an psychological horror/mystery experience i decided to give this old game a chance in this age.

Lets start with the graphics. Il be honest that the the first cutscene was mind blowing and very nice. You

Lets start with the graphics.
    Il be honest that the the first cutscene was mind blowing and very nice. You see and feel that dark vibe immediately. It isn't that bad, really. Of course it shows his age but it will definitely not stop you from seeing what is going on in the game.

Gameplay:
    Silent Hill has that reputation of bad camera angles and awkward controls. Let me tell you that i got used to it after 5 minutes. Its just like playing a new game with great graphics. You just get used to the eye candy after an hour or so. So don't let the story's scare you off.

Atmosphere and Story:
    The atmosphere is the reason why fans of the genre wanna play this game. I immediately get sucked in the game and couldn't stop playing it. The mist and area's gave me some claustrophobic feel and in the first hotel i had the feeling i didn't want to go to the next hallway or floor. The music really had a great effect in this and i got easily addicted to it. The composer did a great job. The story was pretty predictable but setting it up the way Team Silent did was out of this world.
    I don't give much info here because i hate to spoil the fun. Last verdict: Its really a solid 9 for me and i am not someone who just gives 10's at randoms. I guess the 1's and 4's people give on this game don't really appreciate psychological games like this. They speak about monsters that are to weak but they don't see the point that the monsters in this game are here to make a more psychological effect on the gamer and not just creatures to defeat.

If you want to play a heavy atmospheric game that works on your nerves don't look further and get this gem.
  81. Oct 13, 2014
    Silent Hill 2 is more then just a game. it is one of the last (and best) survival horror games. With a great storyline, legitimate scare, and of course Pyramid Head. How could you not get scared?
  82. Feb 3, 2015
    Silent hill 2 is the best game on the SH Franchise so far (I am waiting for silent hills).
    The atmosphere, the characters and the music are just amazing (Soundtrack is wonderful).
    Story wise is also very creepy and will keep you going forward to uncover the truth.
    The only flaw in this game is the poor graphics.
  83. May 6, 2015
    A staple in the genre. What makes it so frightening has nothing to do with tricks or scare tactics (though they are definitely in there), but rather the disturbing and brutal portrayal of the darker aspects of the human condition.

1. While Silent Hill 2 retains the same basic format of the original, the story is decidedly more coherent and the graphics have been upgraded immeasurably.
    Quite simply, mature PS2 owners craving a creepy game that's perfect for playing with the lights out and speakers cranked, pick up a copy of Silent Hill 2 and you will not be disappointed. Clean underwear not included.
  3. The game is one of the longer offerings Konami has offered on PS2 to date...[but] you'll still be left wanting more when the game is over.