• Publisher: Konami
  • Also On: PC
9.0

1. ArtV
    Oct 5, 2008
    My favorite game of all time. The graphics in the CG cutscenes were revolutionary at the time (it is now 2008 and I have just beaten SH: Homecoming). The best soundtrack of all time. The best story of all time (and I do not think that any other game will create the same emotions that this game stirs up EVER. Play this game with the lights off and pay attention to all cutscenes, notes and My favorite game of all time. The graphics in the CG cutscenes were revolutionary at the time (it is now 2008 and I have just beaten SH: Homecoming). The best soundtrack of all time. The best story of all time (and I do not think that any other game will create the same emotions that this game stirs up EVER. Play this game with the lights off and pay attention to all cutscenes, notes and surroundings for the best experience. I am a 22 year old male and I seriously almost cried at the end. The story IS THAT GOOD!!!!!! Expand
  2. AndrewV.
    Oct 10, 2001
    This was one of the scariest games I have ever played. The scenery itself sends a chill down my spine. This is a must get game.
  3. DanielM
    Jan 21, 2010
    In my opinion, this is game of the year, all years. This game, is more then a game. It is so deep that almost every last little detail, from a wall's wallpaper, to a whisper that's just barely audible, and a radio's seemingly random burst of static, all has a profound and revealing reason to be there. I feel so bad that I read the ending before playing this game. If you In my opinion, this is game of the year, all years. This game, is more then a game. It is so deep that almost every last little detail, from a wall's wallpaper, to a whisper that's just barely audible, and a radio's seemingly random burst of static, all has a profound and revealing reason to be there. I feel so bad that I read the ending before playing this game. If you plan on buying this game, and this is your first non-spoiler review, please. Do not continue reading reviews, just buy it. Many reviews here have spoilers. I hope they make another Silent Hill as good as this one, and that next time, I can play through it with my knowladge of the plot inexistant. Expand
  4. AnonymousMC
    Dec 30, 2001
    i played the first one due to a friend telling me about it and i loved the scare lol. and i have just started the second one, and so far its scary to. interesting game,and hey if you love a scare , its the perfect game. wish there was a wallkthrough for it though. just to know its being played right.
  5. ErikC.
    Oct 26, 2001
    Silent Hill 2. Wow, what can I say? Much better then the first. I'm addicted to this game more then the first. Sometimes I have to put the controller down. It's like going down a spiral, it gets worse and worse as you go on getting more brutal and twisted as you go. I love it. It plays games with your mind. Hope there is a third one. I don't know if I can go on with out it.
  6. DebbieD.
    Jan 2, 2002
    SCARY!
  7. EDB
    Aug 8, 2005
    This is the game I bought a playstation 2 for. Resident evil stopped being scary long time ago. No comparison should be made between the two. SH2 is dark, scary, has tons of fear atmosphere. creatures are scary and different ( not just zombies zombies zombies...please stop with the zompies,) Also for you few dimwits who do not "get it" please do not compare this with army and stealth This is the game I bought a playstation 2 for. Resident evil stopped being scary long time ago. No comparison should be made between the two. SH2 is dark, scary, has tons of fear atmosphere. creatures are scary and different ( not just zombies zombies zombies...please stop with the zompies,) Also for you few dimwits who do not "get it" please do not compare this with army and stealth games. There is no comparison, When I want to watch a scary movie -do I got to the war section or the horror section at the video store? Let me break this down for you: If you want to play a scary horror game... Scary game = Silent Hill 2 ---Its a horror game When you want to play a stealth/war game... Stealth/War game= MGS its a stealth war game Please stop you dimwits who compare with MGS ..stop.... I love MGS but these are two different games. You miss the point of this game and if you cant broaden your gaming pleasures beyone stealth and army games then sit around playing those ..there are hundreds of those boring mindless things to choose from. This is an awesome game people -stop reading the graphics, control, etc bozos and buy the game for the atmosphere! Expand
  8. Andrew
    Apr 11, 2006
    Without giving too much away, it will be hard for anyone to ever forget the sad tale of James Sunderland after they've played this game. Perhaps the most twisted and tragic story in gaming to date wraps up in a way that makes you think not just about right and wrong, love and hate, but also the way we as people face our demons or are destroyed by them. Not to be missed.
  9. ShawnP.
    Nov 18, 2001
    This is truly a revolutionary game, it is unlike anything I've ever seen or played before. More addictive than heroin this it the greatest survival horror game of all time and not soon to be matched.
    Nov 8, 2002
    Mike, you don't even know what you're saying. are you sure you're a gamer who knows what kind of game you're looking at? silent hill 2 rates an 11 if you ask me and you rate a 1 in my book of gamers!
  11. Ryan
    Feb 13, 2002
    Mike you suck for giveing the game a one unknown.
  12. BloodEmperor
    Oct 14, 2004
    My favourite silent hill game so far (4 is already out) the storyline, the atmosphere, the action, the horror.. the horror.. the horror... Ahem sorry. Silent hill 2 is a major step up from silent hill 1 which lets you run round an even larger area of silent hill than in any of the other games. The graphics arent as plush as SH3 but they are gritty and realistic (especially with the My favourite silent hill game so far (4 is already out) the storyline, the atmosphere, the action, the horror.. the horror.. the horror... Ahem sorry. Silent hill 2 is a major step up from silent hill 1 which lets you run round an even larger area of silent hill than in any of the other games. The graphics arent as plush as SH3 but they are gritty and realistic (especially with the 'noise effect' on) and the gameplay of this game is short of godly.. seriously Buy this game (silent hill 2 the directors cut is also out there if you look and it has a cool 'extra game' in it) Expand
  13. JacobS.
    Oct 13, 2009
    While the gameplay is a little meh (what do you expect from an old survival horror game) the story and atmosphere more than make up for it. It is by far the best of the Silent HIll series, with a truly unique and disturbing story. Team Silent is still trying to match it's glory, but have fallen short everytime.
  14. RuuddeBruut
    Nov 15, 2001
    I didn't play it jet but it is now already a classic.
  15. JamesB.
    Dec 18, 2001
    This game really takes advantage of the PS2's ability to create beautiful lighting and great looking characters. One of the best games for PS2. (also I'd like to say PS2 kicks ass!)
  16. ReidL.
    Dec 23, 2001
    Silent Hill 2, one of the best games I have ever played, I beat it 12-22-01.
  17. RandyM
    Jan 24, 2010
    One of the best survival horror games ever. I STILL play this game, and it STILL scares me. The sound design is nothing short of pure genius.
  18. MikeS.
    Sep 29, 2001
    This is so far the best horror game to hit any gaming system. Everything is great, the story, the graphics, the sound. Let me tell you something though, if you want to get really, really scared, play this game at about 11-12 at night with the lights off and you will be terrified. Buy this game if you don't... well go buy it anyway!
  19. Dan
    Jul 19, 2002
    Not only does silent hill 2 have top of the line graphics, groundbreaking sound effects, and is a hell of a good time to play... it does something not many other games do. and that's tell a good story. a mindbending surrealistic exploration into the depths of a tortured mind, and probably one of the greatest dark love stories ever told. silent hill 2 is a disturbing, yet strangelyNot only does silent hill 2 have top of the line graphics, groundbreaking sound effects, and is a hell of a good time to play... it does something not many other games do. and that's tell a good story. a mindbending surrealistic exploration into the depths of a tortured mind, and probably one of the greatest dark love stories ever told. silent hill 2 is a disturbing, yet strangely moving experience. not many games can boast that. Expand
  20. SamC.
    Apr 13, 2007
    Quite simply the best game I have ever played on any system. I've played every Resident Evil and every Silent Hill along with many other survival horror games and this has an edge on all of them. On top of the freaky enemies and outstanding settings that will disturb you to the point of sickness, this game has an outstanding plot that will mess with your mind and keep you wondering Quite simply the best game I have ever played on any system. I've played every Resident Evil and every Silent Hill along with many other survival horror games and this has an edge on all of them. On top of the freaky enemies and outstanding settings that will disturb you to the point of sickness, this game has an outstanding plot that will mess with your mind and keep you wondering until the end only to blow you away. If you play this late at night with the lights out and alone your guaranteed for a good eerie feeling. Expand
  21. Dante399L
    Jan 31, 2008
    This game is not just a game, it is something beyond that. It is a creative and a beautiful story which is told in the most brilliant way. Fans of horror stories will love this game; because it is a mixture of Stephen King's, Dean Koontz' and James Herbert's stories!
  22. Piranha
    Nov 12, 2003
    Creepy.
  23. Aug 13, 2016
    I remember the first time I got my hands on this game after bought my ps2 back in 2003.
    I was watching the CGI just waiting James to be playable, and inside that bathroom when the camera angle sets the third person view I was still thinking that was CGI… My brother thought it too, we looked at each other thinking that the game freezed, but then I touched the analog stick by accident and James moved… Me and my brother were like “Wooooow”…

I am an old veteran to games, and I never felt that sensation again, perhaps with Skyrim in my 360 which got pretty close, but I am a Silent Hill fan since play station 1.

Apart from the graphics, the story, the gameplay, which is not exactly perfect but it does its job, the story and plot are all tremendous…

I finished it 4 times, and I would play this game 4 times more if I would have time, but I have so many good games to play that I cannot do this, not now! Silent Hill 2 is by far a true masterpiece, some sort of rare jewel that you are not gonna find never again in the industry, it is pure genius, it is smart and emotional, visceral and subtle, soft and heavy, carry tons of feelings and iconic characters… Silent Hill 2 is by all means possible, the best game ever made not because of it is quality as a game, just like I said it is not perfect. It is the best game ever made because you really enter the town, you feel like you are in there, without 3D glasses or the new VR technology, without all the actual gen possibilities with these sandboxes like titles... It is just psychological frightening to such a level that makes you wander the meaning of every inch explored in the game...
  24. Nov 30, 2010
    This game is like no other when you compare it to other survival/horror games out there (maybe except Fatal Frame, Siren, etc...). The story becomes climatic, symbolisms are scattered throughout the game, the characterizations and atmosphere create an overwhelming sense of isolation. I could go on, but in short, a classic psycological experience meant to be played by all
  25. Jan 26, 2011
    Best game ever. Best Silent Hill period. Best soundtrack. Best story. This game is the definition of perfect. The sub-par controls actually increase the tension factor of the game. I hear some people saying "you might as well run by all the monsters rather than fight", isn't that a good option to have?! If Silent Hill were real, I assure you, I would run through that town as well. TheBest game ever. Best Silent Hill period. Best soundtrack. Best story. This game is the definition of perfect. The sub-par controls actually increase the tension factor of the game. I hear some people saying "you might as well run by all the monsters rather than fight", isn't that a good option to have?! If Silent Hill were real, I assure you, I would run through that town as well. The story is ridiculously creepy and emotional. The characters are insane, and make you uneasy. Environments are stellar and fit right in with the whole package. I am a fan of all Silent Hill games, but this will never be trumped. My favorite game of all time. (and I have played plenty) Expand
  26. Mar 24, 2011
    Okay the gameplay is average but this game is the best example that gameplay doesn't make a survival horror game good.The story is one of the best for a horror game.Graphics are very good for its time.Has very creepy environments and also good soundtracks.This is already enough for me to give this game a 10.
  27. May 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best Survival game ever. Consistent plot, fully emotional music by Akira Yamaoka, violent imagery, intense claustrophobic atmosphere. And Pyramid Head will never leave your dreams. Disturbingly awesome! Expand
  28. Jun 11, 2011
    It's not as freaky as the first Silent Hill, but it basically defines the franchise as a whole and what Silent Hill really is. It's a psychological hell that is different for everyone. The atmosphere in this Silent Hill is equally effective as it was in the first and the introduction of Pyramid Head is by far one of the most unexpected and horrifying monster appearances ever, and yet it'sIt's not as freaky as the first Silent Hill, but it basically defines the franchise as a whole and what Silent Hill really is. It's a psychological hell that is different for everyone. The atmosphere in this Silent Hill is equally effective as it was in the first and the introduction of Pyramid Head is by far one of the most unexpected and horrifying monster appearances ever, and yet it's also one of the most simple and subtle (this is before we see that he goes about raping monsters - which is also disturbing as hell). Then again, though it's all startling at points, this game is really subtle and is slow at points. It really eases you into the horror which helps make it a psychologically, disturbing success. Though this isn't a direct sequel to Silent Hill, it is a very important installment and shows that Team Silent know their horror - and Akira Yamaoka is the master of atmospheric sound editing and unsettling music, which is bizarre but beautiful at the same time. Expand
  29. Jul 5, 2011
    The absolute pinnacle of video game storytelling and storytelling in general. Never before has any work of art gripped me with it's story as much as this one. The gameplay is average but that compliments the gameplay wonderfully as your character is not a space marine, or an SAS commando, or 'the chosen one' he's an average man who has to come to terms with the horrible things he isThe absolute pinnacle of video game storytelling and storytelling in general. Never before has any work of art gripped me with it's story as much as this one. The gameplay is average but that compliments the gameplay wonderfully as your character is not a space marine, or an SAS commando, or 'the chosen one' he's an average man who has to come to terms with the horrible things he is responsible for.
    If storytelling in games is your thing then this is the only game you'll need.
  30. Jan 8, 2012
    A truly epic survival horror game.10/10.... side note, the review from "Mike" who gave it a "1" is one of the most stupidest reviews Ive read of a game.

#4 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2001
#7 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2001

1. While Silent Hill 2 retains the same basic format of the original, the story is decidedly more coherent and the graphics have been upgraded immeasurably.
    Quite simply, mature PS2 owners craving a creepy game that's perfect for playing with the lights out and speakers cranked, pick up a copy of Silent Hill 2 and you will not be disappointed. Clean underwear not included.
  3. The game is one of the longer offerings Konami has offered on PS2 to date...[but] you'll still be left wanting more when the game is over.