Silent Hill 3 PlayStation 2

• Release Date: Aug 6, 2003
  • Also On: PC
8.8

1. Jun 13, 2016
    dat bloody hall of Otherworld Brookhaven hospital gave me cancer ;_; Best PS2 horror game ever at least for me. Every location had creepy voices too that shocked me well for a while. This horror game is simply amazing. (even the original was much better than remastered version for anything except the graphic only)
  2. Oct 3, 2015
    Sublime,espectacular,increíble hay muchos adjetivos que pueden definir SH 3 que me encantó , EL MAS ATERRADOR DE TODOS ! . Gráficos muy buenos (por ser un juego de 2003 estos gráficos y sonidos son impresionantes ) BSO es sublime . Tiene una cosa negativa ? si tiene , que es un juego muy corto .
  3. Sep 15, 2015
    The best and definitely the SCARIEST as well as the MOST DISTURBING Silent hill game, and only one of the two scariest video games ever made (the other being Fatal Frame 2 Crimson Butterfly). It's also the only game that succeeded into giving me nightmares for 3 month straight for beating it for 5 times! Very Scary, very atmospheric, more disturbing and better story than the secondThe best and definitely the SCARIEST as well as the MOST DISTURBING Silent hill game, and only one of the two scariest video games ever made (the other being Fatal Frame 2 Crimson Butterfly). It's also the only game that succeeded into giving me nightmares for 3 month straight for beating it for 5 times! Very Scary, very atmospheric, more disturbing and better story than the second installment. This game can be the answer to the struggle of the survival horror genre is facing nowadays. Expand
  4. May 21, 2015
  5. May 6, 2015
    Takes everything the first two got right, and blends them together splendidly. Just what you were always looking for in a great horror game, plus, Heather is the type of heroine we always needed to truly experience the genre at it's fullest.
  6. Jan 3, 2015
    This is by far the best silent hill game (yes it's even better and scarier than the **** Silent Hill 2), and one of the only two scariest survival horror games ever created (the other one is Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly). If most ppl agree that the first 3 silent hill games are the best, then SH3 DEFINITELY tops this list in terms of story, creepiness, survival horror, and atmosphere.This is by far the best silent hill game (yes it's even better and scarier than the **** Silent Hill 2), and one of the only two scariest survival horror games ever created (the other one is Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly). If most ppl agree that the first 3 silent hill games are the best, then SH3 DEFINITELY tops this list in terms of story, creepiness, survival horror, and atmosphere. Then comes after it is SH 1 then lastly SH 2 (which is the least scary SH game out of those 3 Sh games). This game together with Fatal Frame 2 is the best survival and the scariest survival horror games ever created, not even resident evil remake is scary at all, its only atmospheric. And, if u are a die hard survival horror fan then I recommend u definitely buy this awesome masterpiece of a pure survival horror genre. Expand
  7. Nov 8, 2014
    This was the best out of the whole Silent Hill series. The story line continues from the first and makes a good job of it. It has a dark, deep yet satisfying aura. The enemies in this game are one of the most original I've seen in horror games. Great game
  8. Oct 13, 2014
    Silent Hill 3 is one of the scariest games I have ever played. While the game may not look great any more that does not mean you should miss out on the awesome game which is easily the best in the series.
  9. Jul 6, 2014
    Silent Hill 3 is the more darker, deepest, sad and bizarre silent hill title ever!! I love Haether Mason character and Claudia too. The final chapter from the Alessa history and epic conclution, please silent team back to save the franchise !!
  10. Jun 19, 2014
    El primer pinchazo de la franquicia (luego vendrían mas y peores). Demasiada acción y poco guión, que arranca de forma lenta y tardía, y un tanto estrambótico. Su único punto positivo reside en recoger la historia de un capítulo anterior y sus bestiales gráficos para la época. Pero está muy lejos de la excelencia de las dos primeras partes.
  11. Mar 10, 2014
    Es uno de los mejores Silent Hill solo detras del silent hill 2 y the room, una calidad grafica sobresaliente acompañado de un gran apartado sonoro y una ambientacion sobresaliente y a la vez tenebrosa, mi punto en contra es que se me hizo algo corto con referencia a otros Silent Hill.
  12. Feb 1, 2014
    If it wasn't because RE4 is out there, I would say this is the best survival horror ever made. The story concludes Alessa Gillespie's tragic story in a very satisfying way, with few but interesting and dark characters. Heather Manson is my favorite main character in the Silent Hill series for being more believable than the rest; she is really terrified and you feel it, but she still fightsIf it wasn't because RE4 is out there, I would say this is the best survival horror ever made. The story concludes Alessa Gillespie's tragic story in a very satisfying way, with few but interesting and dark characters. Heather Manson is my favorite main character in the Silent Hill series for being more believable than the rest; she is really terrified and you feel it, but she still fights back; plot twist aren't obvious and it keeps a solid phase during the whole game with it's near perfect balance of riddle, combat and fear factor; Team Silent nailed it with SH3, is the best in the series and one of the titles that gave this franchise it's rightful place in the horror genre. Expand
  13. Jan 5, 2014
    Silent Hill 3 is so similar to Silent Hill 2 in graphics and gameplay it is impossible to not compare the two while playing them. And, overall, Silent Hill 3 has a far worse story, character interactions that occasionally ruin the game's mood, less (and easier) puzzles, and fewer (and worse) endings. But damn it if this game is not fun to play. The environments are just as horrifying asSilent Hill 3 is so similar to Silent Hill 2 in graphics and gameplay it is impossible to not compare the two while playing them. And, overall, Silent Hill 3 has a far worse story, character interactions that occasionally ruin the game's mood, less (and easier) puzzles, and fewer (and worse) endings. But damn it if this game is not fun to play. The environments are just as horrifying as ever, the characters still have entertaining personalities, and the continuation from the original Silent Hill is handled perfectly so that players new to the series can follow along and players of the original Silent Hill will not be disappointed with how the story is continued. Also, the tie-ins for people who played Silent Hill 2 are ingenious and add a great deal of entertainment to random areas of the game. Expand
  14. Sep 25, 2013
    This was definitely the best of the Silent Hill games made. It had such a great storyline and just an all around great horror game. It never gets old and it has some of the most creepiest levels and monsters than some of these new horror games have. It can be a bit challenging at times, even on easy, and you need to conserve every item you find but that's what a real horror game is made of!
  15. Sep 15, 2013
    Of all the Silent Hills so far, SH3 does have the best story. It is really nice to see how almost everything is brought to a climax and is mostly explained and wrapped up. Visually it is as disturbing as ever, perhaps a bit more in some areas.

The down side to this game is that it seems to follow the tried and tested formula a bit too loyally. Due to this it feel a bit like you've seen and done all this before, making the overall tone creepy but also predictable. On the plus side combat feels almost possible this time round.

Overall:
    Silent Hill 3 really want to be something great, and comes close to doing so. But lack of originality and the all too familiar survival horror routine does dull the experience a little. It's still a fantastic game, but don't expect too much fresh from it.
  16. Dec 1, 2012
    Probably one of the best horror games ever made: amazing story, EXCELLENT graphics (they remind me to PS3 graphics, especially the shadows and the depth of field), good gameplay (although nothing innovative from Silent Hill 1 and 2) and great sounds.
    This is one of these games that will never be created again (take a look at the new Silent Hills), so I 100% suggest you to buy this game and play it.
  17. Nov 28, 2012
    This is my favorite title from the Silent Hill series, the main character had something that the other ones didn't had, she expressed her feeling in a nice way, when her father die and when she wanted revenge from Claudia. The graphics, the sounds and the atmosphere were good. The extra weapons were excellent and i can't play this game enough to get bored, one of my favorite games ever! IfThis is my favorite title from the Silent Hill series, the main character had something that the other ones didn't had, she expressed her feeling in a nice way, when her father die and when she wanted revenge from Claudia. The graphics, the sounds and the atmosphere were good. The extra weapons were excellent and i can't play this game enough to get bored, one of my favorite games ever! If the controls and the camera was a little better it would totally deserved a 10. Expand
  18. Aug 11, 2012
    One of the best games of it's genre. Silent Hill 3 is a mind-blending and unique experience every horror fan should have gotten through! The puzzles are challenging and the combat is fine. The only bad things are that there are only three achievable endings and the time you need to finish the game. My first playthrough took me about 6-7 hours. My third only 1:58 hours - without the UFO-Ending.
  19. Jun 28, 2012
    Wow. Visually this is easily one of the most impressive titles on PS2. It totally surpasses Silent Hill 2 and is easily on par with REmake. This entry in the series feels more like homage to the original with critical plot points and references. It's with out a doubt the scariest game on PS2.
  20. May 31, 2012
    This game is awesome. It's not my personal favorite game in the series but you could argue that it's the most well made. I thought Silent Hill 2's graphics looked good, but this game pushes the ps2 to it's absolute limits, and still manages to run perfectly smooth and not a glitch to be seen. I would go as far as saying it looks better than half the games I've seen on current gen systems.This game is awesome. It's not my personal favorite game in the series but you could argue that it's the most well made. I thought Silent Hill 2's graphics looked good, but this game pushes the ps2 to it's absolute limits, and still manages to run perfectly smooth and not a glitch to be seen. I would go as far as saying it looks better than half the games I've seen on current gen systems. The controls are fluent, combat is effective, and the story is one of the most unforgettable that I've seen in any game or movie, mainly because the characters are so likable that you care about their roles and what happens to them (especially if you've played the first game). It's just a shame that the HD collection dumbed down the game a lot and removed things that were put into the game for a purpose... If you can, get a hold of a ps2 copy. Expand
  21. May 28, 2012
    Very creepy atmosphere and monsters but design was derivative and story was lackluster. M.
  22. Dec 7, 2011
    Another masterpiece.
    Team Silent is back.
    Silent Hill is back.
    Welcome to the true survival horror.
    Get ready.
    The fear is waiting for you...
    Silent Hill is back!
  23. Jul 21, 2011
    Supremely underrated. Forget the pointless storyline, just the atmosphere alone, the main character, the puzzles and the mind **** are enough to vouch this game as being the all-around best in the series. It murders Silent Hill 2 and its lonely unsettling environments with a roller coaster of terrifyingly well executed weirdness and a showdown inside of a carnival ride that is so off theSupremely underrated. Forget the pointless storyline, just the atmosphere alone, the main character, the puzzles and the mind **** are enough to vouch this game as being the all-around best in the series. It murders Silent Hill 2 and its lonely unsettling environments with a roller coaster of terrifyingly well executed weirdness and a showdown inside of a carnival ride that is so off the wall bonkers that it should be given an award for those latter portions of the game alone. It contains so many shocks, maze like levels, dark stretches, instant death traps, and many other random insertions of horror. The difficulty can be traced more to the controls, which although superior to the first two silent hill games, is still admittedly clunky in most regards. The camera can also be a pain, but thats quite rare. The weapons are satisfying to use and I love Heather's curb stomp as it has a very testosterone inducing bone crunching noise. All in all this game is so unsettling that its been a year or two since my last play through, but my memory of the experience lives on and hopefully, for those that have not yet played it, it will soon be a part of you're memory one day. Expand
  24. Jun 11, 2011
    Story-wise, this is the best Silent Hill game there is, in my opinion. It also takes the atmosphere of the first game's Otherworld and enhances the nightmarish qualities to new levels. The monsters brought about in this installment are probably the most demented, they take on sort of decayed, carnival-like forms and seem sort of cartoon-like in their proportions (such as the 'Closer'- aStory-wise, this is the best Silent Hill game there is, in my opinion. It also takes the atmosphere of the first game's Otherworld and enhances the nightmarish qualities to new levels. The monsters brought about in this installment are probably the most demented, they take on sort of decayed, carnival-like forms and seem sort of cartoon-like in their proportions (such as the 'Closer'- a monster with a oversized head and forearms). Also like previous and future installments, this game is very psychological and maybe even more hell-like than any other installment. Creatures can be seen being tortured in the background all throughout the game and when you're in the Otherworld. A non-aggressive entity, that supposedly serves a purpose in the Silent Hill lore as Pyramid Head does - some believe it may even be Pyramid Head though Heather's mind, is Valtiel who (I won't give away why) is seen throughout the game torturing many different entities and monsters. The sounds in this game are also extremely disturbing - flying monsters called Pendulums make a grinding buzzing noise, and other monsters make sounds as if they're choking on their own blood. The surreal quality of previous games is often helped by the semi-mediocre voice acting, however this is the first game where the protagonist actually feels like a real person because the voice acting from her is so real, but everyone around her, though they have very human pasts, seem much more dreamlike as though the whole thing really could be one big nightmare that you can't wake up from. Expand
  25. Mar 19, 2011
    SH 1-4 (Before the series was beaten to death by America's terrible addiction to come over to other Countries culture and **** IT ALL UP!) Silent Hill did interesting thing's to the series, it took it to new places, characterized the portagonist's, and really gave you the feeling that you're alone in a big, Haunted, Dreaded, Haunted town.

I've seen people complain about how SH's Combat

I've seen people complain about how SH's Combat sucks, well here's why : "You're just an everyday person, trapped in a giant cold, haunted place with something that hate's you and want's you to die."

Oh, tahnk god this game dropped the "Big-Titted-Nurses." The only reason they were sexualized in No.2 was because James was sexualy frustrated.

In my opinion the best Silent Hill game, if you haven't played 2, get this, if you haven't played 3, get 2, they're both GREAT games, haven't played 3,2, or 1, GET 4! But don't get any game above 5 except for Shattered memories, you're cheating yourself.
  26. [anonymous]
    Jan 23, 2010
    It's not as good as all the other ones I have, which are two, four, and shattered memories, but it's decent. It's pretty disorienting how it starts out in the nightmare world, but it goes uphill from there. There is a lot of cool scenery and enemy design. My favorite one is the monster with the huge arms and inside out mouth. The story isn't at all generic, but It's not as good as all the other ones I have, which are two, four, and shattered memories, but it's decent. It's pretty disorienting how it starts out in the nightmare world, but it goes uphill from there. There is a lot of cool scenery and enemy design. My favorite one is the monster with the huge arms and inside out mouth. The story isn't at all generic, but doesn't go above and beyond other games in the series, or in general. Also, Heather is a pretty unlikable character. It doesn't have a cool criteria for getting an ending like the second one or shattered memories. There are also a lot of unlockable costumes and items, but I haven't seen them because you have to beat the game first, but the endboss is impossible!! It's an entertaining game, but there are some weaknesses when it comes to scares. You're supposed to anticipate the scares, but the real scares almost never come so you get used to it and dont get that feeling at all. It also has the horrible combat and camera from SH2. There really isn't anything else to say. It's DECENT and ENTERTAINING. Expand
  27. GrantZ
    Aug 22, 2009
    All i can say is..... NOT GOOD ENOUGH. With this i expected the solidity of SH2, but with the first games characters. However no old characters showed up, not one, unless a dead body counts. Too much emphasis on combat, and it's too obscure. Still it's better than 4 and is worth a look, cos it is still quite scary.
  28. AleksandarB
    Jun 10, 2009
    Although a constant deja-vu, this installment proves to be fair to its predecessors.
  29. lolwut?.
    Mar 11, 2009
    Damnit, im stuck again... I must be a horrible pathfinder for it took me at least 20 hrs to beat the game... But its also the first game I ever played with REAL puzzles and in the end it was well worth it. This game plays on a kind of fear no other game invokes. Constantly hightening more and more tension by twisting the places in which you are exploring more and more until you no longer Damnit, im stuck again... I must be a horrible pathfinder for it took me at least 20 hrs to beat the game... But its also the first game I ever played with REAL puzzles and in the end it was well worth it. This game plays on a kind of fear no other game invokes. Constantly hightening more and more tension by twisting the places in which you are exploring more and more until you no longer recognize them. Camera angles and pitch black/ red lighting add a constant foreboding, ominous feel to the enviornments and the only way you may know if you are about to be attacked is the strange and often industial sonds the monsters make as they near you. 4 different endings is interesting too. Expand
  30. RandyM
    Aug 19, 2008
    Five years later, it's still one of the most frightening and chilling gaming experiences you'll lay your hands on.
  31. jw
    Jun 4, 2008
    not as good as the predecessors but its still a great game and definetly the scariest one out of the lot.
  32. DanielP
    May 23, 2008
    I really liked it! Fastastic really. i enjoyed it very very much ! I played all the series. To be honest i liked the first SH. But the grafics of this serie said everything! I loved it! I love SH!
  33. GioD
    Mar 23, 2008
    I have a never ending love for the Silent Hill series as many other people do. Each Silent Hill game manages in one way or another to freak the hell out of the player and SH3 is no different. A word to the wise though, if you've never played/beaten/or know what happens in Silent Hill 1 then you'll be lost in Silent Hill 3 because its a direct sequel to part 1. Silent Hill 3 is I have a never ending love for the Silent Hill series as many other people do. Each Silent Hill game manages in one way or another to freak the hell out of the player and SH3 is no different. A word to the wise though, if you've never played/beaten/or know what happens in Silent Hill 1 then you'll be lost in Silent Hill 3 because its a direct sequel to part 1. Silent Hill 3 is another fantastic addition to the best horror series ever. Just buy it, its that simple. You WONT be sorry... Expand
  34. LisaM.
    Sep 8, 2007
    Good, game. Eerie and creepy, but not really scary. Fantastic graphics, great puzzles nice sound effects and good gameplay.
  35. ApocalypseB.
    Mar 19, 2006
    I waited three years to play this game and to be honest it was worth the wait. Having startted the series at number two i thought this was very good in some ways and pretty poor in others. It was good in having really scary, distrubing parts/scenes to it. For a grown man i was quite scared at times. Also the story (linked with sh1) was involving enough to you interested right to the end. I waited three years to play this game and to be honest it was worth the wait. Having startted the series at number two i thought this was very good in some ways and pretty poor in others. It was good in having really scary, distrubing parts/scenes to it. For a grown man i was quite scared at times. Also the story (linked with sh1) was involving enough to you interested right to the end. The puzzles and general gameplay was more forgiving than sh2 and really more fun. Where it lacked was terrible bosses battles (where i hardly took a hit and this was on medium) and shocking voice-acting. Apart from heather's character the rest sounded like a bad porn film. Overall i was sad to finish this game (6 hours odd) as i really enjoyed it but sh2 still had the edge in totally freaking me out. Very good game. Expand
  36. JesseS.
    Jun 19, 2005
    A true joy to play! The graphics are some of the greatest the PS2 has to offer. Gameplay is what you would expect. You have to search every single area for clues, and head to the next, while combatting some disgusting creatures. The controls are done very well, just like other Silent Hill titles. Sound is amazing in this game. You will still use your trusty radio to detect nearby A true joy to play! The graphics are some of the greatest the PS2 has to offer. Gameplay is what you would expect. You have to search every single area for clues, and head to the next, while combatting some disgusting creatures. The controls are done very well, just like other Silent Hill titles. Sound is amazing in this game. You will still use your trusty radio to detect nearby monsters. A great survivor horror title for the Playstation 2 console. Expand
  37. JuanS.
    May 25, 2005
    It's da best game eva.
  38. BobbyO.
    Feb 24, 2005
    Pros: Creepy sound, graphics, and gameplay (i n a good way); chilling creatures cons: camera angles can sometimes get onnoying overview: the best horror attempt ever created.
  39. AmirA.
    Jan 3, 2005
    Really effective.
  40. gRIEVOUSaNGEL
    Dec 18, 2004
    The great graphics add to the non-stop horror. Silent Hill, A Wonderful Place to Live!
  41. AndreaD.
    Dec 5, 2004
    I thought it was exciting, intense,neat, and scary at the same time. I loved it from the first time i played it!!!
  42. BloodEmperor
    Oct 18, 2004
    Certainly an excellent game like every other Silent Hill game ever created to date (SH4 is out now). The graphics have improved from Silent Hill 2 and the Storyline is also very entertaining and keeps you hooked 'till the end. The controls in the game are great and theres some very cool hidden items and bonuses to unlock... I personally preferred Silent Hill 2 as the storyline in Certainly an excellent game like every other Silent Hill game ever created to date (SH4 is out now). The graphics have improved from Silent Hill 2 and the Storyline is also very entertaining and keeps you hooked 'till the end. The controls in the game are great and theres some very cool hidden items and bonuses to unlock... I personally preferred Silent Hill 2 as the storyline in that game is absolutley amazing and seriously messed up :-), but silent hill 3 is an excellent game and definitley a must have for many survival horror fans everywhere. B.E. Expand
  43. JanneH.
    Sep 25, 2004
    Helevetin hyvä peli ei voi muuta sanoo....
  44. DeLouise
    Sep 14, 2004
    Silent Hill 3 is definitely the best, Although Silent hill is good, and Silent Hill 2, which everyone says is the best, isn't. SH and SH2 are about the same. But Sh3 is the best. You get to play as the girl with an attitude, which personally I like. I think Heather is the best character. And I like the fact that you start off in your home town and she's like 'wtf' and Silent Hill 3 is definitely the best, Although Silent hill is good, and Silent Hill 2, which everyone says is the best, isn't. SH and SH2 are about the same. But Sh3 is the best. You get to play as the girl with an attitude, which personally I like. I think Heather is the best character. And I like the fact that you start off in your home town and she's like 'wtf' and then she goes to Sh3. So it's a definite buy. As for SH2 i'd say rent. Expand
  45. MatthewJ.
    Jul 24, 2004
    This one kicked ass SH3 oh yeah ten! the monsters were the best they have come up with yet as we await the room coming out in about a month in a half yes!!! cant wait cant wait sh3 sh3 is one you wont wanna miss playing it in picth black its fun and clever the best storyline next to the old ps1 release since yet! silenthill rocks me out of this world love it all three!!!
  46. EricF.
    Apr 24, 2004
    Scariest game that I have ever played!
  47. TomH.
    Feb 14, 2004
    Silent Hill started the horror genre revolution. Though many credit Resident Evil with it, I believe there are a list of better horror PC games and "Alone in the Dark" came even before Resident Evil. The first one showed a game could actually be genuinely scary. I remember when I played this game my freshman year of high school, this game struck me with deep fear as it did gamers and Silent Hill started the horror genre revolution. Though many credit Resident Evil with it, I believe there are a list of better horror PC games and "Alone in the Dark" came even before Resident Evil. The first one showed a game could actually be genuinely scary. I remember when I played this game my freshman year of high school, this game struck me with deep fear as it did gamers and critics. I cannot begin to count the time people tried to use the shallow arguement that Resident Evil's occasional "BOO!" tactics as being somehow scary. Its surprising, even a quick fright perhaps, it is not genuine fear. Fear is about being afraid of what is going to happen, not a surprise of what did. The sequel was a quick and earned success. It wasn't quite the fear fest but more intelligently crafted. The third one, is a direct sequel off the first one. Could Konami still keep up the momentum? The answer of course....yes. Thats not to say Silent Hill is perfect. Later in my analytical look on the game and the genre, I will elaborate on my concerns and criticisms. The story starts off with Heater Morrison in a shopping mall. She is approached by a detective that has information on her birth. As she loses him by running out the bathroom door, everything goes weird. Monsters everywhere, the place goes dark, everything is a psychological fear fest that would make a shrink crawl if this happened in real life. I will not spoil more for reasons of suspense and storyline. Silent Hill 3 returns to the genuine horror ride of the first. Bodies hang out, your radio rings off when enemies are near but you can't see them, grotesque noises in the background, some rooms even pulsate and bleed, the game is a living nightmare. I will be honest when I say I wasn't genuinely scared this time. This only being because of my growth and maturiy since high school and simply because the game has done some of this before, and my obsession with watching horror movies, but looking at this, it is easily a scarier game on its own terms in atmosphere had I played it back earlier. For most people, this will be a genuinely fearful experience. The only problem because its a direct sequel, there is a bit less suspense going on then I'd like to see. The gameplay is for those who have an eye for adventure, artsy games, and those who like the horror genre. If your one of those "survival horror pure action" junkies, please look else where. Heather moves around her environment much like Silent Hill 2. Often you'll be looking for keys to open doors, solving puzzles that fit in very well with the environment, setting up a trap or two against enemies, looking for people, or just trying to escape this fearful hell. The mechanics of the game work very well. You can walk back and forth while being armed with melee or ammo weapons. In addition, you can now block against enemies when they attack and greatly reduce damage. This is a very good edition when at times there is no way to get out of an attack. Early on you will get a bullet proof vest that will slow you down, but help the damage as well. You can put it on or off as needed depending on the situation. Best of all, you can fall of ledges. Heather will tweeter and in this event (depending on difficulty), you need to push the analog stick down. It adds an extra sense of tension when its dark and makes you be more alert. You also make notes of doors locked, unlocked, key items, and other notes on the map which are extremely helpful. I will elaborate more on my small complaints here. But one of them is that unlike the first one, I don't believe enemies are "intelligent" like they used to be. In the first one, you can try to hide in darkness and ditch the light and be quiet. Or you can try to run. In the second and third game, it seems they somewhat always know your coming. The graphics are the best I've seen on PS2 so far. The game doesn't use CGs because it doesn't need them (however, I still would've liked to see them nonetheless.) The fog moves in real motion, the shadows are near perfect, there are a huge variety of digusting and original monsters. The environments again, are just so frightfully brilliant. Metalic floors, bloody walls, some walls even bleed and pulsate as metioned above, disturbing writtings, constant darkness or fog, and great architecture. The buildings are truly realized and given variation. The view of the game works in a nice, psychological, uncomfortable method. It can be easily adjusted with the view button. Sound as always is essential here. The sound effects are one of the game's strongest aspects. Foot steps change on the surface, water drippings, the monster noises, just about everything is perfect. My only complaint, is some noises are obviously recycled, but however it never cheapens it. My only suggestion here is I'd like to see variation in the sound. For example, a rain drop might emit different pitch, a foot step a different type of squeak. However, it does differentiate between left and right foot stpes which is impressive. The music is also notably worthy of effect, though not a great soundtrack for listening too except for a couple songs. The themes has a clear and present theme of despair and horror to it which make it very absorbing. What makes Silent Hill 3 an even better game the replay value. Though everything is said and done and before typically, there are a handful of new costumes, weapons, and other new menus to get. For example, if you beat the game using melee weapons, you can get a beam saber. This however makes the game feel a bit cheasy at time in contrast to its high serious atmosphere. At the same time, new costumes like her "princess heart" costume are somewhat iffy. There are only three different endings possible, and the second one is sleasy from the description I'm given. Its some of those extra game options that make the game better, but parts of them that make it a bit cheesy. This is where the game downfalls slightly. The game has a neat option of "extreme difficutly" which many describe as zombies just everywhere and will definately be a plus for those seeking cheap action or those looking for a challenge. While some of the extras do not fit, they are all optional and up to the gamer and therefore I cannot complain. I have the right to not use them as any other gamer. Even better, having a Silent Hill 2 save will get you extras relating about the previous one. However, the others had more endings, they felt drastically different, and the previous games had more sidequests. However, the game provides us enough for it to be a worthy edition to buy and be worth something even a year after you've had it. There are a lot of great options it has. You can choose how hard the puzzles will be and how hard the puzzles will be. Some parts of the game might be omitted as well, such as setting up a trap against some bats. Better yet, you can even choose how the controls work. You can go for the traditional Resident Evil (but far better) controls by up being forward, down being back, and left and right beind turning. However, you can walk forward and back and shoot, do a quick turn around, and other superior moves. In the other option, you can control like Metal Gear. Basically the direction you press is the direction you go. This game is higher usely friendly for those appreciate the genre. Overall, Silent Hill 3 tramples over Resident Evil. I will let my disgust of Resident Evil be known very freely. Resident Evil is unispired, contrived, has faulty gameplay mechanics, puzzles so void of intelligence its an insult, voice acting thats less than par, and graphics that didn't get updated until so late in the series. Heck, it wasn't until PS2 it ditched the stupid pre-rendered backgrounds (or whatever its called) and made entire 3D environments. Maybe it finally got the cue from Silent Hill? Then the gamecube version from my information, it goes back into the pre-rendered backgrounds again!!! How pathetic . . . Say what you will about Resident Evil being 'fun.' I did get into a rather nice discussion with a friend when he got me to say "Silent Hill is fun." I realize my statement isn't completley correct. I guess its whether you enjoy being scared and exploring or not. I was quick to say because it revolves around being scared and exploring, which is enjoyable if its what you like. Even should you enjoy Resident Evil for its highly cheap thrills (which I used to) there is a huge difference between prefering a game, and realizing another game is better. Personally, I prefer to play Mortal Kombat, but I know that Soul Calibur is a far better game. Even should you like Resident Evil for 'fun', you cannot logically call it a better quality game than Silent Hill. To do so defies logic and insults people who actually try to make videogames go further in this industry. To conclude, Silent Hill 3 is a worthwild experience for all the reasons I've mentioned. It is one of the best games in this genre (the best likely being Eternal Darkness from what I hear). However, Konami needs to be aware the lifespan is running short. The game needs a lot more gameplay additions in order to keep it fresh. I'd like to see the return of "Metal Gear" intelligence the enemies had. I'd like to see the enemies look around, follow you, and just nag at you. I'd like people to even set up environment traps and try to hide like in closets or other things. I'd also like to see huge amounts of extra games options and tons of sidquests. The game is always under 7 hours and I'd like to see it at least 20 hours for a long lived satisfying adventure. I'd like to see different character perspectives (perhaps the only feature Resident Evil should be praised for.) People effecting different areas, different storylines results, and etc. I'd like to see more of the idea of previous games effecting outcomes. Seeing previous stories, outcomes, or other great extras. Continue the expanding weapon inventory, exotic locations, horror ideas, and even more combat ideas like being able to do a manual aim. Though I like this game, I'm concerned for its future. However, unlike most games, it tries to improve each one in gameplay and atmosphere which not too many do. Expand
  48. AndrewJ.
    Jan 31, 2004
    This game had a great eerie feel, which the second game lacked.
  49. RaulC.
    Jan 30, 2004
    The guys at Konami will be recognized in the future, as the new masters of horror. This game does not only frightens you, but it also leaves you with a feeing of loneliness and despair, something that I´ve never experienced in any other game to date. As a game it has it´s flaws, mainly regarding that same old survival horror control scheme, tough it´s somehow a little The guys at Konami will be recognized in the future, as the new masters of horror. This game does not only frightens you, but it also leaves you with a feeing of loneliness and despair, something that I´ve never experienced in any other game to date. As a game it has it´s flaws, mainly regarding that same old survival horror control scheme, tough it´s somehow a little bit better, and more responsive. But as an experience, Silent Hill 3 will remain among the top ones on any game console to date. Expand
  50. GraceS.
    Jan 20, 2004
    This is scary stuff. If you liked the previous Silent Hill games you'll love this. Personally, I was disappointed because of certain events that occured. I'm not gonna give anything away though. All I have to say is it's grainy, high on frights, gore and detail. The bakery I explored looked so realistic! Silent Hill 3 is excellent but is getting rare.
  51. TimothyR.
    Jan 8, 2004
    Best game iv ever played in my life well life of my ps2.
  52. NinjaMafia
    Nov 25, 2003
    Silent Hill 3. This has got to be the worst game in the Silent Hill series, however, it is still an astounding game, by alkl means. The gameplay doesn't stray far from the survival horro roots. You run, find some creepy monsters and shoot them. Not much new in the gameplay department here. However, it remains the Silent Hill atmosphere. Mind yu, Silent Hill has the best atmosphere inSilent Hill 3. This has got to be the worst game in the Silent Hill series, however, it is still an astounding game, by alkl means. The gameplay doesn't stray far from the survival horro roots. You run, find some creepy monsters and shoot them. Not much new in the gameplay department here. However, it remains the Silent Hill atmosphere. Mind yu, Silent Hill has the best atmosphere in any survivor horror game series. The game is also undeniably scary (especially the haunted house, tell you didn't jump with the hanged guy). . The story is where the Silent Hills are the best in any survivor horror series. This games story is a bit worse than the other silent hills so that is why it is probably the worse. Alot of the plot twists i could see coming. However, it did kind of explain the town of Silent Hill and what happened to Harry. I just wish this game had a more mature story like Silent Hill 2's (which mind you was the best story in a videogame, well one of them, that has ever graced my PS2). The music in this game, however. Is the best all year. I love almmost every song. Overall, this game is atleast worth a rental. I wasn't dissapointed with this game, and you probably won't be either.
  53. AnnieH.
    Oct 31, 2003
    Awesome!!!!
  54. PatrickM.
    Aug 29, 2003
    I have been a fan of the Silent Hill series since its original release on PlayStation. From the minute I started until the moment I finished...I loved Silent Hill 3. This game is a MUST OWN if you are looking for a game that will scare the living crap out of you. I would have scored higher...but 10 is the max.
  55. MaxPayne
    Aug 29, 2003
    Silent hill 3 is the most atmospheric game so far. You just want keep on playing for so much reasons.The story is like a "sequel" of the silent hill 1 story. The enviroments, the characterts, the graphics , the story are so well made!!!. Its a true horror movie, go see it! .
  56. MichelleC.
    Aug 17, 2003
    This game is awesome even thou i havent goten very far its still a good game from wut ive played and from wut ive seen and all of my friends tell me its alot better then part 1 and 2.
  57. Bododaclown
    Aug 15, 2003
    this game was so AWESOMEEEEEE!!!!! you HaVE TO buy this its the best you can get.
  58. MikeD.
    Aug 15, 2003
    It was really fun and all. i kept playing for the neat extras. (won't say any) i'll just say the extras are worth beating the game for. the only downfall is it's a little short.
  59. JhonS.
    Aug 15, 2003
    The best game ever of the silent hill trilogy.
  60. MarcW.
    Aug 14, 2003
    It's really scary. The production values for SH3 are so high and the pacing is just perfect. It felt more like I was playing a nightmare...in a good sense. I'm not a big fan of survival horror control schemes, but other than the annoying control, the game was astounding. It left me with bad dreams...and I think that speaks volumes for it's power.
  61. DanielT.
    Aug 14, 2003
    I had been used to scary games, when i brought this one i thought it was going to be just the same. I was wrong, at some points i jumped out of my chair. It definitely is a great game.
  62. JonH.
    Aug 13, 2003
    The best silent hill ever! Had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. The best graphics i've seen on the ps2.
  63. NinjaMafia
    Aug 6, 2003
    Silent Hill has always been a good games series (possibly better than the Resident Evils) and Silent Hill 3 stays true to the series. Offering a great story with enough replay value to keep me going for a long time to come. Silent Hill 3 is a must for suurvival horror fans.
  64. RustyS.
    Aug 4, 2003
    This game kicks more ass than all the old ones put together, im a die hard fan and ive been addicted since seeing the first game like five years ago, BUY IT NOW(also buy the other 2).
  65. PIRANHAG.
    Jul 2, 2003
    Simply perfect! We don´t see a game like this every day: 5 star sound ; 5 star grafic ; 5 star entertaining... everything is perfect in here!!!! bought it right now
  66. JacksonM.
    Jun 8, 2003
    Very impressive game, get it NOW!!! It totaly rocks...
  67. BenN.
    Jun 7, 2003
    This game is nearly exactly the same as the previous games, which is a good thing because the last two were brilliant as far as im concerned, the one thing i will say is that this game throws you right in the thick of the action & if you have not played a silent hill before then you could come off struggling. This game is violant & sick which is just what i like out of the Silent hill This game is nearly exactly the same as the previous games, which is a good thing because the last two were brilliant as far as im concerned, the one thing i will say is that this game throws you right in the thick of the action & if you have not played a silent hill before then you could come off struggling. This game is violant & sick which is just what i like out of the Silent hill games & you will to, rush down the shops and buy it now. Expand
  68. JohnK.
    May 30, 2003
    Just put the disk in the ps2 and lose your self in the sillent hill dimension....
  69. Arr
    May 26, 2003
    This game is awesome 60 fps with gorgeous graphics o_o.

#5 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2003
#23 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2003

1. This game also has quite a bit of replay ability to, with 3 different endings to see, and additional scenes to be seen on replay. My only qualm with this game is that it’s too short, at only 5 hours on your first play through and maybe half that each additional time.
  2. Those who lost interest in this genre a long time ago won’t find the experience here to regenerate their faith. It’s a shame because the actual storytelling and directing is a work of genius that demands to be witnessed, whilst the visuals are quite possibly the best you’ll ever witness on a Playstation2.
  3. Playboy
    Grainy video filters, swirling cameras and intense action put it severed head and shoulders above the rest of the horror-game competition - the best installment yet of a great series. [Aug 2003, p.32]