• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Aug 6, 2003
  • Also On: PC
8.7

1. Sep 15, 2013
    Of all the Silent Hills so far, SH3 does have the best story. It is really nice to see how almost everything is brought to a climax and is mostly explained and wrapped up. Visually it is as disturbing as ever, perhaps a bit more in some areas.

The down side to this game is that it seems to follow the tried and tested formula a bit too loyally. Due to this it feel a bit like you've seen
    and done all this before, making the overall tone creepy but also predictable. On the plus side combat feels almost possible this time round.

Overall:
    Silent Hill 3 really want to be something great, and comes close to doing so. But lack of originality and the all too familiar survival horror routine does dull the experience a little. It's still a fantastic game, but don't expect too much fresh from it.
  2. May 28, 2012
    Very creepy atmosphere and monsters but design was derivative and story was lackluster. M.
  3. Dec 1, 2012
    Probably one of the best horror games ever made: amazing story, EXCELLENT graphics (they remind me to PS3 graphics, especially the shadows and the depth of field), good gameplay (although nothing innovative from Silent Hill 1 and 2) and great sounds.
    This is one of these games that will never be created again (take a look at the new Silent Hills), so I 100% suggest you to buy this game
    and play it. Expand
  4. May 31, 2012
    This game is awesome. It's not my personal favorite game in the series but you could argue that it's the most well made. I thought Silent Hill 2's graphics looked good, but this game pushes the ps2 to it's absolute limits, and still manages to run perfectly smooth and not a glitch to be seen. I would go as far as saying it looks better than half the games I've seen on current gen systems. The controls are fluent, combat is effective, and the story is one of the most unforgettable that I've seen in any game or movie, mainly because the characters are so likable that you care about their roles and what happens to them (especially if you've played the first game). It's just a shame that the HD collection dumbed down the game a lot and removed things that were put into the game for a purpose... If you can, get a hold of a ps2 copy. Expand
  5. Nov 28, 2012
    This is my favorite title from the Silent Hill series, the main character had something that the other ones didn't had, she expressed her feeling in a nice way, when her father die and when she wanted revenge from Claudia. The graphics, the sounds and the atmosphere were good. The extra weapons were excellent and i can't play this game enough to get bored, one of my favorite games ever! If the controls and the camera was a little better it would totally deserved a 10. Expand
  6. Jan 5, 2014
    Silent Hill 3 is so similar to Silent Hill 2 in graphics and gameplay it is impossible to not compare the two while playing them. And, overall, Silent Hill 3 has a far worse story, character interactions that occasionally ruin the game's mood, less (and easier) puzzles, and fewer (and worse) endings. But damn it if this game is not fun to play. The environments are just as horrifying as ever, the characters still have entertaining personalities, and the continuation from the original Silent Hill is handled perfectly so that players new to the series can follow along and players of the original Silent Hill will not be disappointed with how the story is continued. Also, the tie-ins for people who played Silent Hill 2 are ingenious and add a great deal of entertainment to random areas of the game. Expand
  7. Mar 10, 2014
    Es uno de los mejores Silent Hill solo detras del silent hill 2 y the room, una calidad grafica sobresaliente acompañado de un gran apartado sonoro y una ambientacion sobresaliente y a la vez tenebrosa, mi punto en contra es que se me hizo algo corto con referencia a otros Silent Hill.
  8. Jul 21, 2011
    Supremely underrated. Forget the pointless storyline, just the atmosphere alone, the main character, the puzzles and the mind **** are enough to vouch this game as being the all-around best in the series. It murders Silent Hill 2 and its lonely unsettling environments with a roller coaster of terrifyingly well executed weirdness and a showdown inside of a carnival ride that is so off the wall bonkers that it should be given an award for those latter portions of the game alone. It contains so many shocks, maze like levels, dark stretches, instant death traps, and many other random insertions of horror. The difficulty can be traced more to the controls, which although superior to the first two silent hill games, is still admittedly clunky in most regards. The camera can also be a pain, but thats quite rare. The weapons are satisfying to use and I love Heather's curb stomp as it has a very testosterone inducing bone crunching noise. All in all this game is so unsettling that its been a year or two since my last play through, but my memory of the experience lives on and hopefully, for those that have not yet played it, it will soon be a part of you're memory one day. Expand
  9. Jun 11, 2011
    Story-wise, this is the best Silent Hill game there is, in my opinion. It also takes the atmosphere of the first game's Otherworld and enhances the nightmarish qualities to new levels. The monsters brought about in this installment are probably the most demented, they take on sort of decayed, carnival-like forms and seem sort of cartoon-like in their proportions (such as the 'Closer'- a monster with a oversized head and forearms). Also like previous and future installments, this game is very psychological and maybe even more hell-like than any other installment. Creatures can be seen being tortured in the background all throughout the game and when you're in the Otherworld. A non-aggressive entity, that supposedly serves a purpose in the Silent Hill lore as Pyramid Head does - some believe it may even be Pyramid Head though Heather's mind, is Valtiel who (I won't give away why) is seen throughout the game torturing many different entities and monsters. The sounds in this game are also extremely disturbing - flying monsters called Pendulums make a grinding buzzing noise, and other monsters make sounds as if they're choking on their own blood. The surreal quality of previous games is often helped by the semi-mediocre voice acting, however this is the first game where the protagonist actually feels like a real person because the voice acting from her is so real, but everyone around her, though they have very human pasts, seem much more dreamlike as though the whole thing really could be one big nightmare that you can't wake up from. Expand
  10. Jun 28, 2012
    Wow. Visually this is easily one of the most impressive titles on PS2. It totally surpasses Silent Hill 2 and is easily on par with REmake. This entry in the series feels more like homage to the original with critical plot points and references. It's with out a doubt the scariest game on PS2.
  11. Mar 19, 2011
    SH 1-4 (Before the series was beaten to death by America's terrible addiction to come over to other Countries culture and **** IT ALL UP!) Silent Hill did interesting thing's to the series, it took it to new places, characterized the portagonist's, and really gave you the feeling that you're alone in a big, Haunted, Dreaded, Haunted town.

I've seen people complain about how SH's Combat
    sucks, well here's why : "You're just an everyday person, trapped in a giant cold, haunted place with something that hate's you and want's you to die."

Oh, tahnk god this game dropped the "Big-Titted-Nurses." The only reason they were sexualized in No.2 was because James was sexualy frustrated.

In my opinion the best Silent Hill game, if you haven't played 2, get this, if you haven't played 3, get 2, they're both GREAT games, haven't played 3,2, or 1, GET 4! But don't get any game above 5 except for Shattered memories, you're cheating yourself.
  12. Sep 25, 2013
    This was definitely the best of the Silent Hill games made. It had such a great storyline and just an all around great horror game. It never gets old and it has some of the most creepiest levels and monsters than some of these new horror games have. It can be a bit challenging at times, even on easy, and you need to conserve every item you find but that's what a real horror game is made of!
  13. Dec 7, 2011
    Another masterpiece.
    Team Silent is back.
    Silent Hill is back.
    Welcome to the true survival horror.
    Get ready.
    The fear is waiting for you...
    Silent Hill is back!
  14. Aug 11, 2012
    One of the best games of it's genre. Silent Hill 3 is a mind-blending and unique experience every horror fan should have gotten through! The puzzles are challenging and the combat is fine. The only bad things are that there are only three achievable endings and the time you need to finish the game. My first playthrough took me about 6-7 hours. My third only 1:58 hours - without the UFO-Ending.
  15. Feb 1, 2014
    If it wasn't because RE4 is out there, I would say this is the best survival horror ever made. The story concludes Alessa Gillespie's tragic story in a very satisfying way, with few but interesting and dark characters. Heather Manson is my favorite main character in the Silent Hill series for being more believable than the rest; she is really terrified and you feel it, but she still fights back; plot twist aren't obvious and it keeps a solid phase during the whole game with it's near perfect balance of riddle, combat and fear factor; Team Silent nailed it with SH3, is the best in the series and one of the titles that gave this franchise it's rightful place in the horror genre. Expand

1. This game also has quite a bit of replay ability to, with 3 different endings to see, and additional scenes to be seen on replay. My only qualm with this game is that it’s too short, at only 5 hours on your first play through and maybe half that each additional time.
  2. Those who lost interest in this genre a long time ago won’t find the experience here to regenerate their faith. It’s a shame because the actual storytelling and directing is a work of genius that demands to be witnessed, whilst the visuals are quite possibly the best you’ll ever witness on a Playstation2.
    Grainy video filters, swirling cameras and intense action put it severed head and shoulders above the rest of the horror-game competition - the best installment yet of a great series. [Aug 2003, p.32]