Silent Hill: Origins PlayStation 2

• Release Date: Mar 4, 2008
7.3

1. Rem
    Jan 22, 2017
    Silent Hill: Origins is a testament to how fantastic Team Silent was in crafting the first few games in this series, because this entry has almost nothing of the same level of quality. Being a port of the PSP, Origins on the PS2 fails on key aspects on both being a Silent Hill game and as a survival horror game in its own right.

To begin, Silent Hill: Origins falls short in visual

To begin, Silent Hill: Origins falls short in visual design. Being a port of the PSP hurt enough, but Origins also lacks creativity in creating an appealing art style. The Team Silent games, despite the limitations of the PS2, found ways to make the game great-looking on the artistic scale. The Silent Hill portrayed here lacks grit and visual cues to draw in players. The various levels and their Otherworld counterparts lack terror or nuance for them to be any excitement to trod through. Textures are visibly low res, and the character models are undoubtedly below average looking. To top it off, there's an unbearably distracting film grain that covers the screen throughout and the inability to disable it is a big fat minus. It's far from the worst game from a visual standpoint, but it's barely average.

This same mediocrity carries over into the gameplay, where enemies are either stupidly blind or easy to dispose of. The fact that you can walk by most enemies in the game in addition to their lackluster encounters doesn't help. Because of this, much of the survival element is lost. But how do the puzzles fare? They are slightly better than the combat, but that wouldn't be saying much. They're decent, but shockingly easy to figure out, it's only the cleverness of the puzzles that carry it along at a ho-hum rate. The best aspect of the gameplay is the exploration, which is largely the same with the exception of uninteresting level design, which brings down the whole aspect to an average feeling. This is further marred by the level design, which lacks any genuine surprises, even in the Otherworld, which only serves to pad the game because there is almost no difference in design and quality of the levels. Combine all this together and you get a painfully boring ride through the once terrifying Silent Hill.

The story this time centers around Travis, a trucker who serves as the catalyst for the series events given that this is an origin story and how that came about is the driving force of the story. Because of this, most of the characters from the first Silent Hill make a return, but for the worse. Their encounters are brief, but so out of character that it betrays their essence and makes me wonder if they were the same characters at all. So the falling point of this plot is Travis's backstory, which makes a valiant effort in getting the player invested, to which I did for the most part, but nowhere close to same level I had for the first few games. It's not bad by any means, just hardly as compelling considering it copies Silent Hill 2's backstory. The events that lead to the first game is quite frankly stupid and has little emotional connection to the character/player experiencing it and feels disjointed. Much of the subtle nuances are absent in favor of completely conventional storytelling and a lack of surprises or things that we already didn't know. There is a clear plot, but also a severe lack of heart or even logic. Near the end, you'll be unsatisfied and wishing it would finish sooner.

Silent Hill: Origins, above all else, isn't scary and isn't even remotely close. This is because of the lack of emotional connection to the events at hand as well as the lackluster enemy design which range from meh to just downright stupid. Absolutely nothing will scare you in this game, if you can see anything because this game is too dark to even know where to go. The audio design from Akira Yamaoka isn't as good, because of a lack of ambient sound design to make you at unease. The musical score, however, is quite good and reflects some of the great work that he's produced in the past.

Silent Hill: Origins won't win fans or newcomers over at all. It's flaws are too obvious too ignore, but it's the severe lack of what made the previous games special is its greatest downfall. It all too much feels like Origins is filling a checkbox on the mechanical aspect of what comprises the Silent Hill name without adding the more thematic nuances or smart use of them in conjunction with the game design. It lacks heart and creativity and you'll be wishing it's over before it actually is.
  2. Aug 12, 2016
    Must play for SH fans, on ps2 emulator works very well.
    Much, much better than home&garden or downpour.. .
  3. Oct 3, 2015
    Muy buen juego, realmente me gusto y me la pase muy bien con el, Buena historia , un personaje en cuando vas avanzando te cae cara vez mejor , Un buen SH sin mas .
  4. Jan 29, 2015
    Great game, the experience is even better with headphones on. You explore around the town to figure out the mystery behind a girl you found in a house fire.
  5. Jun 19, 2014
    Otro juego que bebe de un título anterior para generar algo de espectación. El juego es demasiado conservador y facilmente olvidable. Lástima pero hay que entenderlo, nadie escribía historias como el director de los primeros capítulos de la saga, que ya no está. Como juego es correcto pero el nombre de Silent Hill le queda muy grande, otro intento fallido y van ya varios.
  6. Mar 10, 2014
    No es el mejor Silent Hill, pero se compensa gracias a su historia, ambientacion y sonido, lo malo es que la calidad grafica esta por debajo del Silent Hill 2, y el control de camara es lago tosco.
  7. Aug 21, 2013
    the first silent hill game i ever played and it is a complete mess the camera is so bad not at all good story and the game play was repetitive and not good at all
  8. Aug 12, 2012
    Silent Hill Origins i believe did justice to the series. Honestly Silent Hill 4: The Room just didn't really make a good game. It was just so different than the previous 3. However, this game is a prequel to the 1st game of the series and in my mind its pretty decent. The story is pretty decent enough in my opinion. The only things i don't really like about the game were the not soSilent Hill Origins i believe did justice to the series. Honestly Silent Hill 4: The Room just didn't really make a good game. It was just so different than the previous 3. However, this game is a prequel to the 1st game of the series and in my mind its pretty decent. The story is pretty decent enough in my opinion. The only things i don't really like about the game were the not so great controls. It bugged me that my character was a bit sloppy to control in tight places and what not. The combat system was interesting to me however i felt that some weapons could have lasted longer than others. The plethora of weapons in the game was amazing but i just felt a little let down. I was used to the usual 3 or 4 melee weapons and 3-4 firearms in Silent Hill games. This game has between 10-20 or so melee weapons (some are throwable and break after a single it) and around 6 guns. Thats just too much for a survival horror game and when playing through it you never really have to worry about running out of weapons or ammo cause there is just so much of it throughout. The transitions to the Other World are pretty interesting as you control when to go back and forth, however it does get annoying at some points. The enemies throughout the game are mostly OK. The nurses are easy, the straighjackets look like a rip off of the lying figures from Silent Hill 2 and the final boss is just something i never really expected to see out of these games. Also finishing the enemies are a little difficult as, say you knocked down an enemy and another one is around you sometimes finishing off the enemy wont work like you press the button and nothing happens, and if you do finish off the enemy while your character is in the process of it another enemy is charging an attack and sometimes is just unavoidable. This game does have its flaws as most games do but i liked it and would prefer it if you are a fan of the series. Expand
  9. May 21, 2012
    This game has the same problem as sh4 for me it's tedious rather than fun and the story although okay does nothing to hook me. The enemies respawn on the streets rapidly in a attempt to waste your ammo, objects are hard too see especially weapons and energy drinks which is frustrating (I swear in the older games items glinted or sparkled oh so slightly). The weapon system was the onlyThis game has the same problem as sh4 for me it's tedious rather than fun and the story although okay does nothing to hook me. The enemies respawn on the streets rapidly in a attempt to waste your ammo, objects are hard too see especially weapons and energy drinks which is frustrating (I swear in the older games items glinted or sparkled oh so slightly). The weapon system was the only thing that brought me some entertainment as I beat enemy's to death with toasters and typewriters like I was in some sort of comedy sketch. Buy this for like $10 or just watch the game cut-scenes on youtube if you need to know what happens in this game. Expand
  10. Mar 27, 2012
    This is definitely where the Silent Hill series should have ended; I definitely started to see where the game went downhill from here. This probably would have been excellent to play on the PSP, but the PS2 port of it was very weak. Konami completely ignored the fact that we now had a second analog stick and two extra shoulder buttons to work with, plus the graphics were pretty grainy. IThis is definitely where the Silent Hill series should have ended; I definitely started to see where the game went downhill from here. This probably would have been excellent to play on the PSP, but the PS2 port of it was very weak. Konami completely ignored the fact that we now had a second analog stick and two extra shoulder buttons to work with, plus the graphics were pretty grainy. I basically could have plugged a PSP into the TV and had the same (if not slightly better) experience. It was, however, a good game. I thoroughly enjoyed the hell out of this game. The storyline was good, it helped give some insight to just wtf was going on in the first Silent Hill. Some of the monsters, however, were almost identical to some of them in SH2. For instance, the straight jacket is just the Lying Figure but can shoot a ball of acid rather than spraying it. And the Faceless nurse is the bubble heads from SH2. The boss fights are decent and simple. Many have felt strongly against the fact that you have a choice of whether to go to Otherworld, saying it took away the sense of dread. I still felt a sense of dread of knowing I had to go to Otherworld in order to beat the level, Otherworld scared the hell out of me. It was nearly pitch-black, with loud unsettling music, and monsters that would appear out of nowhere. The fact that your weapons broke constantly also gave a sense of "OH **** I NEED ANOTHER WEAPON NOW." But the fact that you could carry 500 melee and about 7 different types of guns kind of drew away from that. All in all, it is a good game but is better played on the PSP. Expand
  11. Jun 12, 2011
    So far it's the last game in the series to use fixed camera angles. It's not as good as its predecessors, but it does at least live up to the name of Silent Hill. I also liked that your only weapons could break, so you're never truly safe. Combat in this game is a bit difficult, which can either be frustrating or make the game more thrilling - I found it to be more thrilling, becauseSo far it's the last game in the series to use fixed camera angles. It's not as good as its predecessors, but it does at least live up to the name of Silent Hill. I also liked that your only weapons could break, so you're never truly safe. Combat in this game is a bit difficult, which can either be frustrating or make the game more thrilling - I found it to be more thrilling, because combat in SH games isn't supposed to be easy. You're supposed to want to run instead of fight. Also the atmosphere is great, like most of the series, and though the graphics are a bit too clean at times (the opening house on fire sequence is a bit cheesy looking and the final boss is the same way). The other monsters are some of the most twisted and disturbing in the series. Also it has a sort of sense of incoherency, which has always been pleasing to me in the Silent Hill series. Expand
  12. Chaosritter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Silent Hill Origins is nothing but a poorly made wanna-be action-adventure who only lives of the big name. The combat system fails hard since the weapons break after 2 -3 monsters and you can't block nor parry, there are also way too many monster who are too fast and too strong that you could defeat them in CC without getting hit from every side, the balky camera and laggy controlsSilent Hill Origins is nothing but a poorly made wanna-be action-adventure who only lives of the big name. The combat system fails hard since the weapons break after 2 -3 monsters and you can't block nor parry, there are also way too many monster who are too fast and too strong that you could defeat them in CC without getting hit from every side, the balky camera and laggy controls make it almost impossible to attack first.It seems like the NPC's are only there because you also met them in the predecessor and Travis isn't able to show any kind of emotion. The story is quite interesting but pointless in the end and almost unrelated to the mainplot. It's also the shortest game in the series (~8 hours). Since it's a prequel i don't care about the lack of new content, but they also fucked up the good things: there are just a few humanoid monster left, the rest looks like badly mutated animals and stuff you put in a microwave for too long. The NPC's have nothing to say at all, everytime you meet them you'll hear nothing but "GTFO! NOW!", the promoted prehistory is nothing but a selling point. The possibility to switch between the normal and alternative world is quite interesting, but pointless since nothing you do affects the other side, you have to play the straight-line way all time long. They also overused the rust-effect in the alternative world and forgot almost everything else, soon you don't mind if you're in the normal or alternative world.

This game's nothing but a steamy pile of fail who was only made to boost the PSP sales and badly ported after the goal was reached. Save your money, pirate it if you're a masochistic hardcore fan or watch the story sequences on YouTube and save time. It wasn't even made by Team Silent, so it isn't a real SH at all.

Thanks for reading and excuse my syntax, english isn't my native language.
  13. JosephStewart
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'm a real big Silent Hill fan, and mostly liked the game. Only 3 problems:
    1. Not enough descriptive text (many curiosities are given no description when pressing x)
    2. No free look (I want to see whats in that corner! WTF!!) 3. Combat is HARD. Some monsters can just spin around and hit you even though they aren't supposed to, and until you get guns, combat can be a real
    I'm a real big Silent Hill fan, and mostly liked the game. Only 3 problems:
    2. No free look (I want to see whats in that corner! WTF!!)
    3. Combat is HARD. Some monsters can just spin around and hit you even though they aren't supposed to, and until you get guns, combat can be a real pain. And I mean a real pain, both in-game and out.
  14. Mar 10, 2014

#4 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2008
#5 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2008

1. Silent Hill Origins might be the weakest installment in the series, but it’s a testament to the quality of the franchise when the weakest entry is still this good.
  2. Play Magazine
    For 30 bucks, the capable haunts here are worth this house of horrors. [May 2008, p.60]
  3. Official Playstation 2 Magazine UK
    There are moments that'll have you on the edge of your seat, but unwieldy combat and easy enemies takes away the fear. [May 2008, p.70]