6.8

1. Dec 31, 2010
    I didn't played any game of SH when i buyed it. It was very good but then i played SH1, 2 and 3 so then it was like, well i think my note say everything i mean.
  2. Mar 13, 2011
    Possitive - Fixed SH's terrible Combat system by throwing it in the bin.
    Dumped the whole "Evil Cult Bullshit" expanded the characters and builds up an amazing atmosphere.

Gripes - Not Scary, the monsters are squealing wooden dolly's, and they don't even want to hurt you, they just want to give you a cuddle, I got the PSP version cuz 1.) The Wii's hardware makes me want to punch a kitten
    2.) The controls are terrible.

Gameplay - Great
    Atmosphere - Great
    Inventory Management - Great
    Tension - Terrible
    Pants weight - 0 LBS
  3. Oct 6, 2011
    I had very high hopes for this game but it turned out to be the worst silent hill game I have ever played. The story was good certainly better than SH homecoming but the thing that kills this game is the gameplay. It has to easy puzzles ( I mean the only thing you need to know is how to open a PURSE to get the key!? ).
    enemies only appear when you are in the "ice world" so literally half
    of the game you don't get any enemies which also makes the game too predictable. Ant the biggest mines that a horror game can have is not being scary! So in conclusion good story but boring, easy and not scary gameplay. Expand
  4. Apr 23, 2011
    I loved SH1-3 (4 not quite as much) and I was looking forward to playing this. Removing combat and monsters from the game was a horrible idea. Silent Hill just isn't scary (at all) if you feel safe whenever you're not in a chase scene. The fog world is exclusively there for puzzles and a little exploration. The otherworld for the "scares". The chase scenes are another thing I'd have liked to be changed. The Raw Shocks are the most bland enemies I've ever encountered in the whole series.
    This wouldn't be such an issue if they weren't the _only_ type of monster in the whole game.
    The chase scenes are annoying at best, but they didn't scare me.

Another annoying element is the cellphone.
    The soundtrack is okay, but Yamaoka wrote better. (Hello SH1-4)

I got the SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER "We'll always love you" ending and it didn't touch me emotionally at all, especially when you compare it to the endings of SH2.
  5. Jun 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A definite improvement upon Homecoming. A lot of people criticize this game for the lack of ability to defend yourself, but frankly I thought it was brilliant. Unlike Silent Hill: Homecoming, this Silent Hill is purely based upon it's psychological aspect and atmosphere rather than having to constantly fight. And though it seems like a re-imagination of the first game it really is, in a sense, a sequel. The only real flaw is the lack of variety in the monsters, which only change form based on what you do throughout the game. There's also a great variety of endings that show what kind of person Harry Mason is. I was a little iffy also on the lack of fiery hell-like atmosphere and its being replaced by an icy one - though this is perfectly explained later, or can be theorized later. Expand
  6. Jun 1, 2012
    I tried playing this on the wii with poor results, then I played through on ps2 with much more success. It's hard to articulate the ups and downs of this game, the action sequences feel mildly thrilling but quickly become a trial and error race to the end of a maze, the normal play sequences are about exploration and it's interesting phoning some of the numbers made available in the game (there's like 80 numbers to call!). The truth is the ending is the real reward... Collapse
  7. May 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story is solid but the game itself is disappointing in a lot of other ways. First of all, I really would have liked to see the original silent hill remade in a proper way with updated graphics, and this title might kill off that possibility. It's nowhere near as good as the original and has almost nothing to do with it outside of Harry looking for his daughter. Secondly the 'psychological profiling' aspect the devs kept gloating about ended up being very simple and your actions and choices make very little impact on what happens. At most your conversations will pan out slightly differently and ultimately lead to the same conclusion. For a game this short I wanted to see split paths that change the game's outcome a little more than 'you're a drinker... wait no you're a sleazy hobag' The last main thing I don't like is the exclusion of combat. I originally liked the idea of being defenseless and having to run away or hide from monsters, but upon actually playing the game it only reminded me of how important being able to defend yourself was to the earlier games of the series, even though it was never combat heavy. Instead the action is replaced by chase sequences where you have to get from point A to point B, and once in a while you're forced to solve a problem or puzzle before being able to proceed to safety. This works okay I guess but gets old fast and the hiding mechanic doesn't work 80% of the time. However the story is pretty interesting to follow, there are a few really intense moments to be found, and it's fun to explore the game world your first time through. Expand
  8. Aug 12, 2012
    Im just gonna start of by saying that i knew this game was completely different than the others in the series and i was interested in how the game would play out. Turns out that i really did like this game. Even though its so much different than the others in the series it really impressed me. The amount of detail put into it was amazing and the puzzles i found were good, even though some of them had me scratching my head. When i realized combat was taken out of the game i was a little worried but i found it a great addition. It made the nightmare sequences much more panicky than the other games. The games story, i believe, is brilliant. Im not gonna spoil anything but after beating the game i was left in awe. I was amazed at how much i got into the game, especially during some of the nightmare sequences (like the nowhere like area) some of it just amazed me by how psychologically this game was. People would rather pass up on this game cause theres no shooting and what not and thats fine. But please dont complain about it, alot of shooting games are absolutely terrible and id honestly prefer this game if people like a deep story and like to figure things out. Expand
  9. ERB
    Jul 30, 2013
    I enjoyed this game even If this game is so scary.And you can interact with other stuff like you can use the cellphone,you can take a picture.So that is why I like this game.
  10. Jul 18, 2013
    Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is genuinely unsettling and mysterious, with frighting presentation and disturbing, extremely scary but good game play. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is realistic and absorbing, it is a really frightening experience, with lots of smartness, unpredictability and twisted endings. Unfortunately, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is short to 6 or 7 hours game play, despite being short which doesn't really matters, it splits into 2 game plays, it is half puzzle and half action, there is puzzles which are hard but smart and tricky, and there is flash light action, and only flash light, no weapons, yes no weapons which is more scarier, when its frozen you just have to run and push the monsters away, which is hard but fun and unpredictable, because monsters are smart and they drag you, appear in front of you, behind you, you could never now. So despite that Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is short on story and plot, it is terrifying as hell mysterious and realistic, with tons of smartness and horrific fun. 96/100 Expand
  11. Nov 1, 2013
    Ever since this game came out I had unfair expectations for it.The reason is probably because original 'Silent Hill' was one of my all time favorites,and I had a lot of good memories attached to it.So when I played through this game,in the end all I felt was genuine disappointment.But recently I've played through game once again and I've realized that it's better than what I took it for earlier.It may not be horror masterpiece,or even closely scary to previous titles (Silent Hill 2,3),it stills has unique and interesting story,great environments and interesting mechanics.
    STORY:The storyline follows;like in original,man named Harry Mason who was driving with his daughter,and had a car accident.When he woke up,he found her to be missing.And so our game begins.
    GRAPHICS:Overall the game looks good,but not as good as previous 'Silent Hill' games that were released on PlayStation 2.Environments look great,especially when in so-called 'Ice world',and the whole town is well detailed,and looks genuine.
    SOUND:Soundtrack;as always is amazing,as has always been the case with Akira Yamaoka in past 'Silent Hill' games.From atmospheric,ambient music,to end credits it is amazing,and really sticks with you even after you turn off the console.Voice acting is also much better than the original game and is on-par with previous titles.
    GAMEPLAY:It mostly revolves around exploration and solving 'puzzles' so to say.Puzzles are some of THE worst I've seen in any game so far,with few exceptions.When you're not exploring,you're being chased by monster(s),mostly through linear pathway,and these chase sequences are way too easy,not that scary.Talking about scary,the game's biggest fault is that it is a survival horror game,that is not scary in the slightest.While some chase sequences might be bit adrenaline pumped,mostly it doesn't offer genuine scares when compared to previous titles.Also in the game is the unique feature of 'Psychology tests' which you complete between sections of the game.These determine how your character will react to the situation,how environments and characters change,monster design (though they always behave the same) and ending.This similar mechanic has been used in past 'Silent Hill' game(s),most notable being 'Silent Hill 2',though in that game it was more natural and dynamic because you were unaware of your decisions affecting the ending until after you've played it few times.
    Psychology tests are fun mechanic,but done quite sloppy and end credits 'analysis' is not that accurate.
    VERDICT:Overall,the game is fun to play through at least once,solely for the interesting story and few memorable scenes.While it's not quite scary,i'd still recommend to play through at least once.Best advice I can give to anyone playing this game is to not consider it as 'Silent Hill' game because it just isn't in the same league with previous titles.
  12. Jun 1, 2014
    Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is hands down one of the best horror games I've ever played.
    While the older Silent Hill games had much puzzles and less horror, this game balances the two factors to make the perfect horror experience. I have to say that don't defend yourself is really disappointing, but it's a psychological horror game, duh!
  13. Jun 1, 2012

1. Here's what you will recognize: a convoluted plot involving a missing daughter and rampant, depraved ghosts; frequent switching between the "real" world and a ghastly nightmare realm; and many locked doors with craftily hidden keys.
  2. Shattered Memories was an attempt at doing something different with the Silent Hill series. Unfortunately, just because something is different doesn't mean it's better.
    The PS2 iteration is no slouch, either. It very closely resembles the Wii incarnation and controls well enough with dual-analog sticks that gamers who don't own both systems won't miss the Wii remote. Meanwhile, since the content is otherwise identical, there's great fun to be had.