• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Jan 27, 2004
  • Also On: PC
7.6

1. Mar 8, 2015
    Nostalgia blind, Thy name is Sonic 45X. I freaking love Sonic Heroes! I have ever since I first played it as an 8 year old in 2007. I am aware of the games flaws. (EG: Retarded dialog, Unbalanced difficulty and Slippery controls) but The game has great graphics, Awesome music, Epic Boss fights and some really fun level design and a very simple story.
  2. Feb 14, 2015
    Sonic Heroes is arguably one of the most underrated Sonic games out there. Many put the game down for certain reasons that can be understandable, and some not so much. But allow me to explain why I love this game.

The gameplay sports a nice variety of characters who sport gameplay styles that are familiar, yet fresh to the gameplay and can really change the way you play certain levels, like with Espio's ability to turn invisible and such. And not just in that aspect does the gameplay and replay value arise, levels themselves harbour a lot of goodies off the beaten path and branching pathways that can vary up how you play a level. Each level also sports a new level gimmick to it, from one minute you're on the seaside, the next you're at an ocean palace, an upside-down haunted house to cursed mansion and so on! Each level loves varying things us with its wide variety of unique concepts that, while it can be a turn off for some, adds a nice refreshing pace to the gameplay. The only downside is the movement control, moving characters is a tad too responsive and acceleration is pretty heavy, though not impossible to get used to, can be hard to grip for some. It's smooth, yet sharp, and very creative and unique.

Visually, the game does basically everything a Sonic game should do aesthetically. The visuals have a nice variety of bright and very lively-awake levels that serve to excite you and prepare you for adventure, to darker, toned down ambient visuals that give a foreboding and partially intimidating presence. The game stops at nothing to impress you with its visuals that still hold up even today, with action and CGI that certainly delivers, especially in the levels themselves. Levels know how to immerse you and give you a good sense of action an adventure as previously mentioned, set pieces really stick out and give you a run for your money with great creativity.

The music is possibly the most underrated aspect in the game, it presents you with some fair variety usually giving you a lot of peppy and catchy tunes to enjoy as you go through each stage. Pumping you up and making you feel hyperactive, even. Even the haunted creepy stages have some awesome catchiness to them, alongside the awesome exhilarating egg fleets and so on. Definitely check this out if you're curious.

The story is rather short and simple, but thankfully doesn't interrupt the gameplay. If you're not going to make an amazing story, keep it short and relative but in tame enough so that it doesn't affect the gameplay experience or waste time with filler. But I digress. The story can be summed up as the villain, Eggman, plans to take over the world and the heroes must stop him. However there are more character teams with their own stories, Team Dark characters all have goals of their own, Team Rose all want to find someone they care about and Team Chaotix need to pay rent. All the while throughout your adventure, you find out that Eggman isn't really the mastermind behind all this, but I won't delve that far into spoilers. The writing isn't out of character, though can be a bit cheesy at times, and the characters are remain as likable as they did.

Overall, Sonic Heroes still remains and underrated game. I can see why some people don't like it, but at the same time I do think it is well underrated and overhated. I would recommend trying this game if available and fairly cheap, it's not a masterpiece, but it's not terrible either. It's worth a try, and worth considering.
  3. Oct 23, 2014
    A really good game one of the best in the sonic industry. With a good character model and a fun and fast past game with a beautiful backgroung its amazing
  4. Aug 22, 2014
    this is my favourite sonic game of all time it has great music, great gameplay a ok story and amazing levels there are 4 teams team sonic, team dark, team rose and team chaotix and the 1 bad thing is bingo highway
  5. Jan 23, 2014
    When I first played this game in middle school, I didn't really expect much from it. But as soon as I heard the amazing theme song, I was blown away! So blown away that I couldn't stop singing along to it. Right then and there, I knew I had a good game in my collection. The gameplay is very unique for a Sonic game. Something that I definitely appreciate.

There are 4 teams: Team Sonic,

There are 4 teams: Team Sonic, Team Rose, Team Dark, and Team Chaotix. Each team consists of 3 members and each member has their own specialty: speed, fly, and power. You have to use each formation correctly in order to get past the stages and defeat Eggman. Each team also has their own difficulty: Team Rose is for beginners, Team Sonic is for medium-level players, and Team Dark is for intermediate players. As for Team Chaotix, let's just say they're in a class of their own. As for the story of the game, it doesn't really have one. Each team is after Eggman and for their own reasons. That's all there is to it. Not much of a story but hey it's a Sonic game. It's not supposed to have a story.

The soundtrack for this game is probably the best I've ever heard for a Sonic game. I love the theme song and each team has their own theme song which are also quite amazing. The flaws in this game are the camera, controls, and the voice acting. The camera tends to have a mind of its own and can sometimes cause you to die. Very frustrating and may even cause you to rage quit. The voice acting in this game isn't very good. It further proves to me that the Adventure cast sucks. In my opinion, the 4Kids cast and the current voice cast are MUCH better. Some of the voices in the game were ok but most of them were so annoying that I thought my ears were gonna bleed. In fact, I almost switched to the Japanese voices which says a lot since I don't care much for Japanese voices. Thank God this was the last game to use the Adventure cast. The controls in the game can also be a bit lagging at times and may even confuse you.

All in all, Sonic Heroes is a great game but not the best I've played. I definitely recommend playing this game if you're a Sonic fan looking for a casual adventure. If you're a hardcore Sonic fan, I wouldn't recommend buying this game. Renting it first would be best.
  6. Jan 2, 2014
    Would have been a 10/10 just because of nostalgia and awesomely designed stages IF it wasn't for the terrible controls and the annoying as hell hit detection.
  7. Dec 16, 2013
    Although Sonic Heroes is far from a franchise killer, it is not quite on the same level as some of the other big name platformers in this generation. The game has that fun upbeat tone fans expect to fined in a Sonic game, the gameplay is very rough. I found it a little to easy to either fly of the edge, or miss my target. Even though the idea of using team gameplay was a good idea, it justAlthough Sonic Heroes is far from a franchise killer, it is not quite on the same level as some of the other big name platformers in this generation. The game has that fun upbeat tone fans expect to fined in a Sonic game, the gameplay is very rough. I found it a little to easy to either fly of the edge, or miss my target. Even though the idea of using team gameplay was a good idea, it just didn't work smoothly and became chore to constantly switch. The graphics (although vibrant and colorful) compared to other platformers like Jak and Daxter, it's just not up to snuff (their mouths don't even move). The voice acting is not bad, but it is also not good. The soundtrack, however; is actually pretty good. All in all this game is not one of the highlights in the Sonic franchise, it is still good enough for a Sonic fan to give it a try. Expand
  8. Nov 8, 2013
    .............................................................................................................................................................................this game sucks.
  9. Nov 3, 2013
    This was my very first 3D Sonic game. I really liked it but there are few things that I must point out.
    Completing game itself is pretty easy. Getting 100% in game on the other hand is extremely hard. Levels are pretty long compared to previous games in franchise. Also to complete the game you have to complete every single level 4 times. Friends sometimes bug and fly everywhere which makes few optional things very hard to do/get. Also, when I played on PAL signal (50 Hz) controls started to glitch. Whenever I pressed any button game thought that i pressed it twice which was pretty annoying. To not get this glitch you must choose NTSC signal (60 Hz). Music in game is catchy and fits to the game pretty well. Characters move fast, which is a good point. Graphics are quite pretty but in my opinion they're too bright. You shouldn't play this game if you're not a Sonic fan.
  10. Oct 25, 2013
    There is something about this game that I love so much because ever since I got the game I always played it even when I had no memory card I just liked playing the levels so much. This game is very unique and each team is fun to play in their own way.
  11. Aug 24, 2013
    Sonic Heroes was my first Sonic game and I was extremely impressed. When the first impressions are great and rather common looking cinematics; the game draws you in. The plot revolves around 12 sonic characters in 4 different groups, going after Eggman for different reasons. The plot has the characters follow the same environments and bosses, with only the difficulty, map layout andSonic Heroes was my first Sonic game and I was extremely impressed. When the first impressions are great and rather common looking cinematics; the game draws you in. The plot revolves around 12 sonic characters in 4 different groups, going after Eggman for different reasons. The plot has the characters follow the same environments and bosses, with only the difficulty, map layout and objective changing. The list of characters is quite long to list, from old faves to some lesser known characters. This game will take up a lot of your time; 4 campaigns or varied lengths, bonus maps and secret maps to find the Seven Chaos Emeralds to get the final boss. The replay ability came back in Shadow the Hedgehog, but this one isn't as good as the levels don't have their main objective change and there is an annoying fact that if you take one hit after unlocking the secret room, you lose it and the only way to get is to restart the entire level. Also; two of the Teams use play as; Team Dark and Team Chaotix are padded, Dark is rather hard any Chaotix has annoying search quests. But overall-it's a great game. Expand
  12. Jul 1, 2013
    My first Sonic game. This ignited the fire. I honestly love it even though I could only complete it once. LOL. This game gets a ton of crap. I loved the glitches. And I always found it funny when Amy said Oh my god! The storyline could have used some help, but who cares?! Its an amazing game.
  13. May 17, 2013
    It does have annoyances, but it's a great game.
  14. Apr 15, 2013
    Sonic Heroes was one of my favorite childhood games for PS2. I had a blast with this game growing up. The theme song is one song that is forever stuck in my head.

Now then, gameplay wise, Sonic Heroes isn't "that" bad. It's still somewhat enjoyable. As a kid, I just played. I didn't focus on the right and wrongs. I just had fun. Now, I see that the camera is completely terrible. Literally, barley any control. The Speed, Power, and Fly sections of the game were ok. Not great, but good. The flight meter on the flying characters is too short. It goes out in a heartbeat. The only thing I actually enjoyed was being the Speed type. I just loved running through it, not caring about what was happening.

Overall, Sonic Heroes is (like I said) not all that bad. It's still a game. Not the best, but still.

15. Dec 1, 2012
    This game is Amazing,it gets a lot of crap due to its glitches,bad story,textures/graphics and most of all the voice acting but the game doesn't deserve that for all the bad,the good in the game over-weighs it,and in my opinion,the graphics aren't to bad,the textures are solid,I found no glitches,I found the voice acting ok in a funny way and the story is fun so everything all the criticsThis game is Amazing,it gets a lot of crap due to its glitches,bad story,textures/graphics and most of all the voice acting but the game doesn't deserve that for all the bad,the good in the game over-weighs it,and in my opinion,the graphics aren't to bad,the textures are solid,I found no glitches,I found the voice acting ok in a funny way and the story is fun so everything all the critics say is crap.Now the gameplay is amazing,I found the three teams of three a good idea that worked well and the music is F*****G awesome.The two player mode is cool for a quick go and the only downfalls are rogues voice and Omochoa. Expand
  16. Nov 25, 2012
    Sonic Heroes used to be one of the funnest games ever when I was a bit younger. Sitting down to replay it nearly 2 years later, I ended up with a game that wasn't as fun as before. Although, this doesn't mean that I didn't like it later on, just that it was great, but not perfect. The game has amazing environments and fast-paced gameplay just like any other game, but my biggest concern wasSonic Heroes used to be one of the funnest games ever when I was a bit younger. Sitting down to replay it nearly 2 years later, I ended up with a game that wasn't as fun as before. Although, this doesn't mean that I didn't like it later on, just that it was great, but not perfect. The game has amazing environments and fast-paced gameplay just like any other game, but my biggest concern was that it suffers from poor camera angles on occasions, sometimes zooming in on your character so much that you can't see anything around you anymore. That is probably the only downsider, besides that, I really think it's a great Sonic game and really recommend it. 9/10. Collapse
  17. Sep 24, 2012
    Sonic Heroes is the one game I have so much memories with. I was 5 years old when this game came out and have been playing this game on and off since. Recently, I took a trip down memory lane and realized the game is as good as I remember it being. The game takes place right after Sonic Adventure 2 and Eggman is at it again. This time, you have to use teamwork in order to defeat Eggman.Sonic Heroes is the one game I have so much memories with. I was 5 years old when this game came out and have been playing this game on and off since. Recently, I took a trip down memory lane and realized the game is as good as I remember it being. The game takes place right after Sonic Adventure 2 and Eggman is at it again. This time, you have to use teamwork in order to defeat Eggman. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles are in Team Sonic, Shadow, Rouge, and Omega are in Team Dark which is supposed to have more difficult levels but I don't see it, Rose, Big (that annoying cat from SA1), and Cream, and finally there is Team Chaotix which features the characters from Knuckles Chaotix. Vector, Espio and Charmy and this team is my favorite because it focuses on mission styled gameplay.You are able to shift characters by using the triangle and circle button using three formations. Flying, speed, and power. All formations help you throughout the stage. Also, throughout the game there are level ups which increase the power of your attacks. The bosses are pretty memorable too. I find little problems rather than the special stages in which if you do not beat 7 of them, you have to replay through some of the levels and collect the chaos emeralds in order to unlock the final stage. Besides this frustration, the game is very well designed and I find nothing wrong with the graphics for a game made in 2004. This game is the BEST Sonic game in the series EVER. I have no idea why some people say the game sucks while there is barely anything wrong with it. If you like great and unique platforming, this is surely the game for you. Expand
  18. Jul 18, 2012
    Honestly The Best Game Of 2004!
    Very Underated! I'm Not Sure Why All The Bad Reviews This Game Is Amazing!
  19. Jul 16, 2012
    Sitting down to replay this game was bitter sweet, because as a kid, this was one of those games that I spend hours on and had som much stress over, and playing it again to review it didn't help me anymore, so I have come to the conclusion that Sonic Heroes sucks. It's no wonder the series took a downhill turn after this game. The plot is non exsistnent, the contorls constantly lead meSitting down to replay this game was bitter sweet, because as a kid, this was one of those games that I spend hours on and had som much stress over, and playing it again to review it didn't help me anymore, so I have come to the conclusion that Sonic Heroes sucks. It's no wonder the series took a downhill turn after this game. The plot is non exsistnent, the contorls constantly lead me into bottomless pits, but most of all, it just isn't fun. This game has to have the 2nd most dumbest plot in any sonic game next to Sonic R, so I won't go into it much because I have a limited amount of what I get to type, but it is so dumbed down compared to Sonic Adventure 2, a game that came out 2 years ago. I get it's a kids game, but this is just stupid. Immediatley as I start the game, I run into a problem because the menu button for select has been switch to the japanese version, so if you press X when you meant to select something, you're sent back to the title screen. Turns out you were supposed to press the O button. Thanks Sega. Thanks for making one of the most simplest things in a game stressful. There are 4 teams to select from: Team Sonic, Dark, Rose and Chaotix. The only difference between Team Sonic and Dark is that Team Dark is the Hardest. Team Rose has got to be one of the most easiest team...almost insultingly easy, then team cahotix has a mission based style gameplay. Team Sonic is what you would excpect from a 3D Sonic game...except it sucks. Control in this game is out of whack, and team sonic shows this to you full force. Everysingle formation has some sort of control issue. Sonic's control is so loose that sometimes, even landing on a platform below is enough to make sonic run off of it for no reason. And I'm only slightly touching to analog stick. Whenever I'm trying to get into a straight line, the control is so twitchy, it's almost uncontrollable. Sometimes, doing the light speed dash is enough to cause you to fall off a ledge. Shadow's control in Shadow the Hedgehog was better than this. Yeah, I said it. Shadow's control was someting you can get used to, but here, there are so many bottomless pits, I never get the time to! And for some reason, whenever I'm on a grind especially in rail canyon, I go slower, even though i am cleary holding down the button. Power formation suffers from the same problem: You will constantly fall down pits. Whenever ypou attack, the power character is propelled forward, so sometimes, I find it incredibally difficult to just get straight and attack the enemy I want to attack. And why is it that I need to press the attack button 4 time in a row to get the triangle dive working while I'm on a fan? Just wondering SEGA. Flight formation is a different story. Whenever you abruptly go to the flight formation, you will bounce up about 2 feet. Say that you really need to get to a ledge quickly, and you need to jump as high as you can before flying,but since you're already up in the air and you try to jump, you'll fly. You try to cross the ledge, but you don't have enough air time left to get to the other side, but you can't fly back either, so you might as well just kill yourself! The Thunder shoot is also hard to aim with sometimes. It's not to bad, but still, I need a targeting system. These problems are also prezsent in Team dark, except they're worse because the game is even harder. Team Rose and Chaotix are a different story. Since Amy Isn't going as fast and she has no Light speed dash, she controls much better than Sonic and Shadow. Big also is much better; since he isn't being constantly pro[elled forward everytime he attacks, It becomes easier to attack. All flight formations suffer from the same problem. The only problem with this team is that it is incredibly boring and easy and short. Playing as amy is more fun than playing as sonic...wow, that's just sad. Team Chaotix has mission base style gameplay, so you dont just go to the end and win. You have to complete a certain objective first. It's incredibly annoying when you miss one simple COMPUTER CHIP AND HAVE TO REPLAY THE WHOLE LEVEL JUST TO FIND IT! But it's not too bad. Better than Shadow the Hedgehog I'll tell you that. Team Chaotix is the best team. Sonic Heroes is a waste of a game. When a game makes navigating the menus annoying, you know somethings wrong. Irritating voice acting, forgettabe music, bad controls,(the graphics are okay...) BOTTOMLESS PITS, anoyingly long levels, (Bingo Highway will break you) Impossible to control special stages, (You will constantly be pulled to the bottom of the pipe and just randomly stop dead) amd cheap deaths galore, I can't bring myself to enjoy Sonic Heroes. If you can get past the controls and camera (BTW, if you press the right analog stick, you will go into a fist person view point and have to move to get out of), then Sonic Heroes may be decent, but you might as well not try. Do yourself a favor, and don't buy Sonic Heroes Expand
  20. Jul 4, 2012
    This is a great game.Many different levels and special levels.Pleasantly play for each team.Cool music.Just nostalgia.I a great many more, you can write about this wonderful game.It gets me to the highest assessment.I suggest playing all holders ps2.It created for the game ps 2.
  21. Nov 8, 2011
    The fact that you can play as three characters from the Sonic series at once makes it all that much better. I like the design and the amount of characters you can use.
  22. Oct 13, 2011
    very nice game i love the racing aspect and its just an amazing childhood game. I also like the graphics of this game. I currently don't own it but i remember playing it when i was 5.
  23. Jul 29, 2011
    bad. fun at first but then the controls mess it up. sonic suddenly sprints. but a good idea. having it so you can play as three different characters at one time, pretty sweet. its just how they do it. it is perfect for a remake.
  24. May 19, 2011
    It may be a blast for children under the age of 10, but for experienced gamers, Sonic Heroes is just a fast, but overly gimmicky piece of junk. Pros: Rich, colorful visuals; variety of characters with special abilities; fantastic level design. Cons: "Trial-and-error" gameplay; atrocious controls; kiddie voice acting.
  25. Apr 12, 2011
    Rather than rise, Sonic Heroes falls since its predecessor Adventure games. Pros: Crisp graphics and colorful level design will enthrall children of all ages. Cons: The clunky controls, camera angles, and annoyingly kiddish voice acting will just irritate experienced gamers.
  26. Apr 3, 2011
    It's too complicated to learn and too confuse to use the character abilities. The game is also too slow, i took almost a life trying to do it and finally a discovered that there is no spin dash! And to top it all the freak camera also make it even more difficult to eliminate the enemies.
  27. Nov 25, 2012

Its tricks are old and it offers no challenge but for the irksome nuisances of its design. [JPN Import]
  2. For everything Sonic Heroes gets right there's a massive fault ready and willing to ruin the hard work - a less than stellar framerate, especially in two-player mode, numerous glitchy moments and - dare we say it? - graphics that are actually inferior to the Dreamcast Sonic iterations.
  3. Gamers who haven't exactly stuck by Sonic's blurry blue side over the years will have to work a little harder to get to the fun, spastic heart of Sonic Heroes, but those who know what to expect in terms of mechanics and sheer kinetic insanity will feel right at home.