• Publisher: Namco
  • Release Date: Oct 25, 2005
8.4

1. Mar 7, 2013
    It isn't perfect, but the many game modes and mechanics make it definitely recommendable. You can even customize your own characters! A great fighter that requires patience and strategy.
  2. May 15, 2012
    The best of the series so far: has great single player contents, massive longevity even without versus mode, and it adds at last the character creator, one of the best I've ever seen in a fighting game. It's hard in here to find flaws though and, in general, the main flaw is probably the absense of online feature, and to "compensate that loss" they made a lot of content for the single player instead. And we can only thank for that. Other flaws maybe are, actually, the chronicles of the sword campaign: it's not a bad addition but it feels like a rushed strategy mode, and so it can be a bit disappointing. The plot in the campaign also isn't anything special but it's decent and, again, it's more content for the single player and a good practice for you (some bosses takes a lot of time, as they are harsh to beat). There is also a GREAT arcade mode, where you also have paths to choose! Yes the ending often is the same, but the ways to go are many and it can always be different if you really want to. The creator also is vast and offers many combinations, and on top of that you can use both the official styles of the main characters AND original styles made for them specifically. They aren't as strong as the standard ones, but it gives variety and everything can be unlocked by buying them with (In-game) gold and playing the campaign mode (a good time where dlc weren't dominating us....). That's it, nothing else to say: this game alone is gonna last a lot of time and, unless you prefer or only like Tekken (like my pals back then), there's almost no reason to skip this game. Except if you don't like fighting games with weapons. Expand
  3. May 2, 2013
    Overall, the game is just amazing to play. Before it's release, SCII was my favorite game, so it had alot to live up to in my eyes.

Gameplay/Movesets:
    I guess I was a little annoyed my favorite character Ivy had lost some of her best moves, but most of them have been improved. The Alexandra sisters are still a little similar but on the whole, the rest of them are very varied and fun to
    use. Not too difficult to master either if you put your mind to it. Still, not as difficult as Tekken, and more asthetically pleasing. The different weapons each character has really allows for greater diversity than in most games. The fact even the custom characters you create have their own movesets as well makes it even more fun and long lasting.

Length:
    Well, compared to most fighting games, this is packed. I guess its the Chronicles of the Sword that does it. It's basically got so much stuff in it, it's got the life of some RPG's, possibly longer. I play it every spare moment and I've had it for a month, still not unlocked everything. It's the kind of game its hard to stop playing, and one you will probably be playing for years. The varying story paths for each of the characters also keeps you going and going. Serious value for money!

Graphics/Music:
    The graphics are so amazingly detailed and stunning. Playing other games straight after it will really let you apprieciate SCIII's quality. The stages you fight in are all very detailed, with smashing floors and walls, mice, fire and falling pictures. Really is beautiful, the characters look pretty danm good too. Much of the music is very well suited to each area and character, it just adds to the overall feel.

Characters/Stories:
    Personally, I adore the stories and personalities of all the characters in this game. Some seem a little pointless, like Cassandra who is basically a helpless sister of one of the other characters. However, she is still very enjoyable to use. The alternative story endings you can get for your characters adds a dimension other games don't have. A great deal of choice and another level of information and interest for the player. The characters do vary quite a bit, ages and nationalities, even species (well there are monsters too...) All makes for an entertaining game!

Modes:
    The soul arena, with the varying tasks is fun, but there really isn't enough. It was far more fun before. HOWEVER Chronicles of the sword kind of takes over from weapon master mode from SCII. This is the mode where you create your own characters and direct them through another seperate story from the main game. It's strategy crossed with fighting, I really enjoyed this mode more than I expected. It's really more about the battles than the strategy, which made it much less daunting. Creating the characters too is almost entertaining enough to buy the game. I know that seems a bit ott but they are SO customisable you can be tweaking your characters for ages! Then Tales of Souls. The basic story modes. With the interactive cut scenes and varying endings. It's probably my favorite game because of this alone, it really is diverse and fun to play again and again.

These are just the main features. The amount of unlockable things and purchasable things is huge. It's really entertaining for a genre thats usually considered quite 2d, this is in the next dimension entirely.

Really worth the money and outdoing all the competition a million to one. Truely a brilliant game.
  4. May 2, 2013

Gameplay/Movesets:

Length:

Graphics/Music:

Characters/Stories:

Modes:

1. The beefed-up single-player content is worth the asking price on its own, it's still a fantastic multiplayer game (that's maybe not as perfectly balanced as it once was), and yes, it's shame there's no online play, but that's no excuse to pass up on a hugely enjoyable, addictive, rewarding title that'll last months.
  2. For many, the new modes won’t be enough to call for another purchase; as a standalone package however, Soul Calibur III offers more than could ever be asked of a fighting game. [Christmas 2005, p.96]
  3. A very pretty game, gorgeous in fact, with plenty to do and see. But ultimately it just doesn't quite seem new enough. It's an example in safe game development and taking the easy path, but while it lasts, it's a fun path.