6.6

1. Mar 18, 2016
    SpongeBob SquarePants: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman. One of the first games I got on my Playstation 2 and loved it to bits as a kid, but I never did beat it. So I decided to go back and revisit it in 2016 for both nostalgia and curiosity if was as good as I remember. Let's get started with the review!

Story: The story is very simple. SpongeBob wakes up and begins playing fetch with Gary. As they are playing fetch, Gary digs up a treasure chest. SpongeBob opens the chest and finds a magic bottle and SpongeBob accidentally releases The Flying Dutchman. Soon The Flying Dutchman starts taking all of SpongeBob's friends. In order for SpongeBob to save his friends and defeat The Flying Dutchman, he will have to collect 9 letters in each of the 7 levels in the game (Spelling out SpongeBob's name) and find all seven pieces of The Dutchman's treasure. This objective is simple enough, however the ways you obtain the letters varies. Be it collecting a certain number of doubloons (Dutchman's Coins) or doing jumping puzzles to obtain one. After you collect all 9 letters in a level, you go on a treasure hunt around the map in search of the treasure. Overall I enjoyed doing this from start to finish, however the ending of the game was very underwhelming and not very satisfying at all. The story will take you about 4-6 hours to beat, which is not very long, 6-8 hours for completionist like myself. However I don't recommend 100% this game. The game doesn't reward you for collecting all the doubloons and Jellyfish, since they are required for 100%. No extra stuff, no secret ending for doing so. Pointless!

Visuals: When it comes to visuals, this game is Fantastic! You have a total of 8 worlds in the game.
    Bikini Bottom, Jellyfish Fields, Chum World, Goo Lagoon, Treedome, Downtown, Bikini Bottom the main hub, and Dutchman's Graveyard. All of these places are bright in colors and unique in visuals and are open for exploration. Also character models and personalities are solid and is one of the best parts of the game, well except for Larry The Lobster. They stayed true to the TV show in these respects and as a result, these things are the best parts of the game.

Gameplay: Playing as SpongeBob, he has a total of four different costumes, which each has their own unique ability. The regular SpongeBob outfit has no special ability and is more for appearance purposes. The reefblower outfit that cleans up sand and moves fans. MermaidMan outfit which gives you the ability to shoot a waterball at targets and your foes. And a Jellyfish outfit which gives you a net to capture jellyfish. Each costume also has it's own soundtrack and the music is good but it REPEATS ITSELF CONSTANTLY!!!!!!!! The game only has 8 songs in total and don't get me wrong, they are all good. But a lot of them repeat themselves. Out of all the 8 worlds I mention, only 2 OF THEM have their own soundtracks. A soundtrack is suppose to set the mood for the world and what is going in the game world. When you here the regular SpongeBob music while something intense is happening, it ruins the mood. Also something else that is annoying about the game is the camera. It goes in random directions at times, get stuck in objects and is a pain in the *ss to deal with. The game runs ok overall but in some levels has has noticeable frame rate drops. But my biggest complaint is the game is way too easy! If you die there is no punishment whatsoever and you just respawn like nothing ever happened. I know it's a kids game and you can't make it super hard, but come on it's no fun when it's a walk in the park and kids need to be challenged!

Verdict: Overall, if you love SpongeBob and/or you played this game when you were a kid. You will probably like the game and be able to handle it's many gameplay issues. However if your not a fan of SpongeBob, it may be a game not worth your time since you don't appreciate SpongeBob and the visual style put into it like the fans will. However, trying to stay in the middle of both sides. I think it's an excellent visual representation of the TV show that makes me interested in the simple story and objectives it offers. But, unfortunately it falls short with a number of gameplay problems and gameplay is the most important element of a game! Due to these gameplay issues it stops it from being a decent game. It's not bad, it's just alright at best.
    Story: 7/10 Visuals: 9.5/10 Gameplay 5/10

SpongeBob SquarePants: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman 6/10
  2. Nov 6, 2011
    It can be pretty fun for the most part, but I can't recommend it too much because it is an easy game. It does have an original story from Spongebob Squarepants but it is a pretty simple game. You might like it.
  3. MikeM.
    Jun 3, 2007
    Very poor effort, stay away from this one. Developer BigSky Interactive's only game to date, and for good reason. Despite the mediocre and sparse visuals, the framerate is abysmal, which definitely has a detrimental effect on gameplay. Even the Java or Flash-based Spongebob games on the internet are superior to RotFD. If you're in the market for a PS2 Spongebob game, I Very poor effort, stay away from this one. Developer BigSky Interactive's only game to date, and for good reason. Despite the mediocre and sparse visuals, the framerate is abysmal, which definitely has a detrimental effect on gameplay. Even the Java or Flash-based Spongebob games on the internet are superior to RotFD. If you're in the market for a PS2 Spongebob game, I personally recommend Battle for Bikini Bottom. I got BfBB for my kids, but ended up playing it myself. It's not perfect, but overall a very good platformer, surprisingly. Collapse
  4. Styler
    Mar 9, 2005
    Really the best game what i ver played. but i cann`t beat the last lvl, how it goes?
  5. Beefbobconnie
    May 5, 2003
    It is a great game that is very fun.
  6. DrewT.
    May 5, 2003
    Gooood.
  7. AdamM.
    Apr 27, 2003
    Perfect simply perfect! The show is great the game is great what more could you ask for?! Spongebob squarepants revenge of the flying dutchman is a game alot of gamers have been hanging out for a long time! This game 10 out of 10 simply superb!!!
    Apr 25, 2003
    This game is the best if you're looking for a challenge. I hope future "Spongebob Squarepant's" games are this fun and exciting!
  9. CarinaR.
    Apr 24, 2003
    The Best game ever!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. MikeH.
    Apr 14, 2003
    It is crap.
  11. JasonH.
    Apr 8, 2003
    Im a huge spongebob fan and i luv this game it is fun.
  12. BobertB.
    Mar 29, 2003
    This game is so dang cool it took me a long time to beat but i love it so much its the best!!!! ®
  13. NokhbB.
    Mar 24, 2003
    It's the best.
  14. AnnieS.
    Mar 23, 2003
    I love this game it is the best!
  15. DudeBob
    Good.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Play Magazine
    Levels so sparse they should run at 30, the models are bad, and there's loading where there should be none. [Feb 2003, p.90]
    Yes, pre-school-aged kids will probably get a kick out of the game, though they'd likely be more entertained mowing down prostitutes in "Grand Theft Auto."