• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Oct 24, 2002
7.7

1. Mar 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It has not a lot of music and the graphics aren't the best, but the story is so good, that I couldn't stop playing. It is one of the best storylines that I ever saw! Expand
  2. Jul 28, 2013
    One of best Suikoden games in the series. Not great like II, but best of the Ps2 and handhelds generations. Suikoden V has more overated because of the combat system. Suikoden III brings combat system in 6 party members, but is diferent from previous games, and have a slower flow. But this game really shines on plotline, one of best I ever seen. A must for Suikoden old series fans.
  3. Jan 11, 2016
    Oh boy this is a great game with one the earliest yet most lively open worlds in gaming. The combat system is clean and simple to learn. Overall this game has it all for being released in 2002 and it still stands the test of time as I see myself playing it today.
  4. Oct 3, 2010
    Extremely refreshing game in an era that was saturated with mediocre RPGs. This game stood up heads and shoulders over most of the other games of it's time.
  5. TimD
    Jan 18, 2003
    If I could give this games higher than a 10, I undoubtibly would...First I played Suikoden II(4 times actually), then suikoden I(Played that 3), and now, I on my second time thru Suikoden III. AND ITS THE BEST ONE SO FAR. The storyline is just plain phenonmenal.....It's so awesome I can't explain it...I'm one of the biggest Suikoden fans out there, when I got this game atIf I could give this games higher than a 10, I undoubtibly would...First I played Suikoden II(4 times actually), then suikoden I(Played that 3), and now, I on my second time thru Suikoden III. AND ITS THE BEST ONE SO FAR. The storyline is just plain phenonmenal.....It's so awesome I can't explain it...I'm one of the biggest Suikoden fans out there, when I got this game at christmas 2002, I couldn't stop playing it. I beat the game in 5 days. And now, on my second time playing it, I'm hitting chapter 4 and only been playing 2 days. Graphics are sweet! Music was fine to me, some people may not think so, but I think it was just fine. But, my favorite thing of all was the storyline...and the Trinity System. PS2 owners out there, if your looking for a good RPG, Get this one! I mean it! It's awesome! I want everyone to have the privlage of playing this, I can't explain how awesome it is RPG. AND YOU PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO SAYS THIS RPG SUCKS, WELL FUKK YOU!!! CAUSE YOU JUST SUCK AND YOUR WRONG! Ok..., all I'm trying to say to you all is that this is the most awesome, phenomenal, I don't know, RPG I've ever played. If you don't have it,
    GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. TimmyM.
    Dec 16, 2002
    This game rocks. The music isn't so great but that doesnt matter. This game kicks ass. There is so much re-play value. This, as other poeple would say is a masterpiece. And that fag who gave it a 1 is a piece of shit and doesn't kow rpg games at all!! Suikoden is the shit!
  7. AaronA.
    Jan 3, 2003
    Wow... I had not played either of the previous two games in the Suikoden series, so I can't complain (like so many others) about the difference between the games, I can simply say that as a standalone game, this is brilliant. The graphics are smooth, but not complicated or realistic, and as others have mentioned, the music is only mediocre (though some of the pieces are beautiful, Wow... I had not played either of the previous two games in the Suikoden series, so I can't complain (like so many others) about the difference between the games, I can simply say that as a standalone game, this is brilliant. The graphics are smooth, but not complicated or realistic, and as others have mentioned, the music is only mediocre (though some of the pieces are beautiful, others simply do nothing for me), but neither of those aspects that stray from perfection (I can't bear to call them flaws, because they aren't really bad) take away from this experience at all, especially after you get used to them (even the camera angle problem). Suikoden III became my favorite game after only the first chapters of the 3 main characters, and has remained my favorite game for it's incredible story line, and realistic characters that you can't help but get attached to. The most impressive thing to me was the plot twists that occurred not only by drastic change in story line, but by a simple change of perspective. Each main character's point of view is different, and in some cases, opposite, and it creates a suspenseful and emotionally invoking plot that I have never been able to see in any other game at all. This game is very storyline-based. That's STORY LINE BASED (some have unusually thick skulls), so if you're the type that prefers to skip through all dialogue and gasp at battle graphics for an entire game, you WON'T like Suikoden III. However, if you like an intellectual story line that twists and distorts as each character lives through it, a thing I have been looking for indirectly for years, you will be very very happy that they made this game. I still can't get over, and it can't be expressed properly with words, how disturbingly human and realistic every element in this game is, making you face even your own beliefs and philosophies. The gameplay can be slowed down at times by elements such as soundless cut-scenes and in some cases, a prolonged objective you must carry out to move on, but it has never bothered me once, most likely because it's so very rare and insignificant that I almost didn't even mention it. The battle systems were a great deal of fun for me, except I didn't particularly like the party battles in which you have characters paired together instead of everyone separate. After I got used to it, however, it actually added to the gaming experience rather than taking away from it. The duel battles require you to read your enemy (literally, lol) and were great fun, as well as the group battles that involve tactical strategy, for a battling system that never gets boring, as it always changes. You can really customize your parties to your own specific needs, and each character can develop differently, exactly how you want them to. The one thing I was incredibly disappointed with were the cut-scenes. After seeing the opening anime-styled (brilliant and artful) cut-scene, I was expecting the same throughout the game and it just never happened. With the slight lack in gameplay graphics, it would have been a very refreshing and interesting way of portraying the story. This game had an incredible story line, wonderful interactive aspects, addictive and fun mini-games, large areas to explore, incredible story line, great battle systems, incredible story line, and incredible story line, but I feel it had a lot of potential that was not utilized, and it would have probably remained the best game for years and years in my book had that potential been completely fulfilled. Did I mention that the story line was incredible? Expand
  8. JohnR.
    Jul 24, 2003
    The story is good.........i like it ...but some characters r just not good 2 look at..heheheh..but the game is cool.
  9. Jeremy
    Oct 30, 2002
    This game kicks all kinds of ass.
  10. YvesS.
    Dec 31, 2002
    Great storyline, great characters. The battle system strayed too much from the first 2 suikoden games, and the magic system and war system weren't very good either. Hopefully if Suikoden IV ever comes out, it'll have the old battle system and a better war system.
  11. DanielL.
    Dec 4, 2002
    I like the flamechampion.
  12. MarcP.
    Nov 7, 2002
    Great Story, Great Character Design, Bad Camera issue, one hell of a masterpiece.
  13. BarrettC.
    Jan 8, 2003
    Wow!! This is one of the most developed story lines in RPGs ever! As the story progresses, you could choose bewteen 3 characters at first and then as the game goes on you can choose up to 6 characters! The characters spook with personality, which is absent in most games. The artwork is beautiful, the story is excellent, and is filled with mini games and a chance to build your own castle Wow!! This is one of the most developed story lines in RPGs ever! As the story progresses, you could choose bewteen 3 characters at first and then as the game goes on you can choose up to 6 characters! The characters spook with personality, which is absent in most games. The artwork is beautiful, the story is excellent, and is filled with mini games and a chance to build your own castle by recruiting the 108 stars. The battle system is okay, but I think they could have improved on it. There is also a lack of sound and music, but who cares? That isn't the point of the game. Because I have played both of the previous Sukidons, it shows that this Sukidon has evolved with technology and is one of the best RPG's for both the PS2 and PS1. I would recommend this game to ANYONE who loves intertwining story. This is definitely one of the best RPG's this year. Expand
  14. ChrisB.
    Dec 1, 2002
    I think this game is a great and i suggest this game for evey that like role playing games.
  15. DustinS.
    Dec 5, 2002
    Having played all the other suikodens i was expecting this game to be a story update and slight graphical update. I was wrong. This game is a breathtaking piece of art. The battle system is fresh and new, and the character design is great with a story that will drag you deep into it without the possibility of annoyance. People who like RPGs at all will adore this but people who oppose Having played all the other suikodens i was expecting this game to be a story update and slight graphical update. I was wrong. This game is a breathtaking piece of art. The battle system is fresh and new, and the character design is great with a story that will drag you deep into it without the possibility of annoyance. People who like RPGs at all will adore this but people who oppose storylines that are deep long and engrossing should go hide under a rock. Expand
  16. RickyN.
    Sep 30, 2004
    This game is so awesome i like the graphics a whole lot better than 1 and 2 this just rocks i think this game is one of the top RPG Games.
  17. VidM.
    Feb 28, 2005
    This game sports the finest character development and design of any game in the series. The art design is top-notch. The music, story, and graphical style are all lacking however. Lots of fun and a full eighty hours of gameplay to boot. While I do appreciate a good hour/dollar ratio for my games, SIII drags quite a bit. There tend to be sequences of intense action breaking up several This game sports the finest character development and design of any game in the series. The art design is top-notch. The music, story, and graphical style are all lacking however. Lots of fun and a full eighty hours of gameplay to boot. While I do appreciate a good hour/dollar ratio for my games, SIII drags quite a bit. There tend to be sequences of intense action breaking up several hours-long chunks of unnecessary fluff. Expand
  18. AnnaM.
    Jun 20, 2005
    Rated 10 because it is the best in the Suikoden series (including IV). Also a 10 in relation to other RPG's out there. With the Trinity Sight System, it gives a whole new meaning to Plot and Character Development. I even wonder why other RPG's haven't caught on to it yet, its genius. Imagine you being able to play in 3 different environments. Aside from that the battle Rated 10 because it is the best in the Suikoden series (including IV). Also a 10 in relation to other RPG's out there. With the Trinity Sight System, it gives a whole new meaning to Plot and Character Development. I even wonder why other RPG's haven't caught on to it yet, its genius. Imagine you being able to play in 3 different environments. Aside from that the battle system is superb, as it allows for customization (hello 108 playable characters!) but at the same time, for those who are not into those things, you can still enjoy it with minimal customizations. An innovative and extremely enjoyable game. Adds depth to the series and has a tremendous amount of heart. An RPG fan will love it. Expand
  19. TylerR.
    Jul 1, 2005
    I consider it to be the best in the series. One of the greatest and best-written plots, a huge and developed cast of characters, and a unique and beautiful graphics style. While it doesn't have the best music or battle system of the series, it's plot more than makes up for the "flaws." Anyone who loves a good story should definitely buy this game.
  20. WalterN.
    Jan 3, 2007
    Awesome game. Loved the intro and ending music. Wish it was linked to the previous Suikodens. Game play was also good. Love the use of Runes and the 108 stars.
  21. JoshH.
    Oct 3, 2007
    It does something Final Fantasy X/12 never did: develops a ground-breaking plot over three different character perspectives.
  22. Jan 20, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall Suikoden III is an amazing game. I played it a little after it came out and just finished playing it again (for a third time). Here's a breakdown of my score.

Battle System: 8.5/10 It's turn based so it's nothing to get too excited about but the series unique magic casting system (runes) and the partner attack system allow for it to be innovative. The game also features larger battles which are a lot of fun. Honestly I wish that there were more of them and one on one duels which are great for the story and are fun but are basically a high tech version of rock paper scissors. Also as an aside the leveling system in the game is great so you don't have to grind very much.

Graphics: 8.5/10 Considering that this was a early ps2 game the graphics aren't bad but they're not great either. I wish that there were some cutscenes with better animated graphics but that's my only real complaint.

Soundtrack 8/10 The soundtrack is pretty solid. The songs fit the settings well but there's only a few that are few bits of the soundtrack that are particularly memorable (Chisha Village's theme is probably my favorite).

Characters: 10/10 The characters are great. You have the chance to experience 5 characters from a POV standpoint (1 optional, 1 bonus, plus a dog). The multiple perspective story telling design of suikoden III really allows for many of the members of the 108 stars to be very fleshed out which is awesome and the optional characters are all fun to recruit. The motivations behind each character are very interesting as well and their individual chapters allow for that too be really fleshed out.

Side Quests/Bonus Material: 9.5/10 Certain item gathering side quests are really fun because they pay off, such as collecting the scripts, but other things like obtaining all the recipes or old books doesn't seem to be worth the time. But Suikoden excels at bonus material because it allows you the option to gather (as always) 108 characters (plus a couple extra dogs) at your castle. It's a lot of fun gathering the characters and it's fun to watch the castle grow and watch as new shops open. Also recruiting all 108 unlocks a very special extra POV which is an absolute must.

Story: 10/10 (If I could give it an 11/10 I would). The story is amazing and innovative. The game starts out with three chapters from three different protagonists (Hugo, Chris and Geddoe) this allows for multiple different scenes to be viewed from different perspectives and it allows for the progression of the story in a unique way. There's also an optional 2 chapters following Thomas, the rather goodie-two-shoes protagonist but his chapters are fun and offer a bit of comic relief in the middle of the other three characters' chapters and it allows for some recruitment early on which is a big plus to Suikoden fans. Also the game allows you in chapter 4 to choose your flame champion. This allows for the last two chapters to vary fairly significantly depending on who you pick giving the game good replay value. Also breaking apart into different points of view allows you to become aquatinted with far more of the 108 characters than one normally would in a suikoden game. And on top of all this if you recruit all 108 characters then you get a sixth perspective from Luc, the villain, which is amazing because you probably remember him from Suikoden I and II so it's natural to want to know what is driving him in Suikoden III. It's great chapter because it humanizes him, which is something rare for a JRPG villain, and it's a great bonus from the developers to give the fans a real bonus for their extra work recruiting characters and it gives great closure on his character.

Overall Score: 9.5/10
  23. May 7, 2017
    My favorite game for the PS2. Granted, I'm a little biased in that I've always had a soft spot for the Suikoden series, but it has the earmarks of things I appreciate in a game. The plot is phenomenal, it has a ton of characters, it has recruitment, the graphics are great, the battle system is innovative. It's the best of the Suikoden family, slightly even surpassing II. It's an overallMy favorite game for the PS2. Granted, I'm a little biased in that I've always had a soft spot for the Suikoden series, but it has the earmarks of things I appreciate in a game. The plot is phenomenal, it has a ton of characters, it has recruitment, the graphics are great, the battle system is innovative. It's the best of the Suikoden family, slightly even surpassing II. It's an overall ambitious title, and a must for any rpg fans. High replay value. Expand

#21 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2002
#21 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2002

Improved in more ways than is physically possible to list.
  2. Official U.S. Playstation Magazine
    The story is like a bag of bricks I had to heave along as I slogged my way forward...What a disappointment. [Dec 2002, p.172]
  3. Edge Magazine
    Although Suikoden 3 is better than the average Japenese RPG, it's clear that with the move to 3D Konami has tried to freshen the formula. But by watering down the series' bastion gameplay elements it may have alienated all but the fanatics. [Sept 2003]