• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Oct 25, 2000
  • Also On: PC
7.1

1. Dec 18, 2013
    This was the first game I ever played on the PS2, and it was the sole reason I decided to buy the console. The storyline is engrossing, the lore/mythos of the game is unique, the characters have depth, the music is great and always well-suited to the environment/situation you are in and above all else this game is very fun.
    The only drawbacks I would point out are potentially the combat
    The only drawbacks I would point out are potentially the combat system, which not everyone seems to like, the graphics of the game (the 'ugly hands and small heads' argument) and the long load times.
    The combat system is quite different to the norm, requiring well timed button pushes even in the midst of battle, requiring you to always keep your cool and not button mash. This did not bother me, but bothers some people because it can sometimes feel robotic/repetitive.

Overall, many years later this is still one of my all-time favourite games, especially due to the music which seems to linger in your mind long after you have finished playing. Graphics aside, it is also a game which has aged quite well, still being playable and enjoyable many years after its release.

1. An extremely ambitious game, but it misses the mark due to unoriginality and subpar presentation.
  2. It is a huge game with a fairly engrossing story, but thanks in part to a few design flaws, it's hard to keep playing all the way to the end.
    While a bit short of greatness, Summoner is an admirable role-playing game experience that is more than one could have ever really hoped for in an RPG that's available at a new system's launch.