• Publisher: Namco
  • Release Date: Sep 23, 2002
7.9

1. AnsonG.
    Jun 22, 2006
    Great fighting action game i ever played.
  2. Feb 28, 2013
    Tekken 4 is a very good fighting game, which brought fresh air to the tekken series. I like the graphics and animations but 21 characters are too few.
    Nov 19, 2002
    Doesn't even come close to Tekken Tag, a few steps backward for the series IMO. It has a couple cool new characters and the 3d arenas are ~okay~ but just dont feel like Tekken. Rental.
  4. ZiggyStardust
    Oct 29, 2002
    It's a highly disappointing sequel in a great series. Dare I say, they've broken Tekken? Maybe I won't go that far, but it's definately not the pinnacle of the series like I was hoping for. The 3rd dimension is not really incoorporated into the gameplay and strategy. Side stepping is too slow, and ineffective. T4 is also in dire need of some longevity. The 1 player It's a highly disappointing sequel in a great series. Dare I say, they've broken Tekken? Maybe I won't go that far, but it's definately not the pinnacle of the series like I was hoping for. The 3rd dimension is not really incoorporated into the gameplay and strategy. Side stepping is too slow, and ineffective. T4 is also in dire need of some longevity. The 1 player game is sorely lacking in options, modes and rewards. And once again the computer AI puts up a pathetic fight. Another disappointment is the Jennifer Lopez look-alike character. She's really just Eddy with a different skin. Overall the whole game feels rushed onto the shelves. It's basically a rehash, while making many bad design desisions. Expand
  5. EdandAprilB.
    Aug 10, 2005
    If you buy Virtual fighter or Soul Caliber you will think Tekken sucks. If you dont buy Virtual fighter or Soul Caliber Tekken seems pretty good. But it does not hold a candle to the characters, controls, weapons etc that the other games have. Buy them all like I did, play them all, then you will see the light. And that light is shinning on a big crapper. Worst of all you can buy virtual If you buy Virtual fighter or Soul Caliber you will think Tekken sucks. If you dont buy Virtual fighter or Soul Caliber Tekken seems pretty good. But it does not hold a candle to the characters, controls, weapons etc that the other games have. Buy them all like I did, play them all, then you will see the light. And that light is shinning on a big crapper. Worst of all you can buy virtual and Soul caliber for the same price !!! Expand
  6. AlanJ.
    Jul 3, 2005
    Yet another mindless button masher for kids with ADD. The eye candy can't make up for some of the most retarded character designs ever. Do yourself a favor and get any "King of Fighters" game instead!
  7. BobbyS.
    Nov 29, 2002
    Terribly atrocious.
  8. JonL.
    Apr 4, 2005
    An underated Tekken game but Tekken is still better.
  9. AlanP.
    Sep 9, 2002
    Beats the mountains of Chatmandu anyday!
  10. ShawnT.
    May 18, 2003
    This game is good but deadly alliance owns it.
  11. SolidTekkenfan,AndrewK.
    Jul 22, 2003
    Almost the best..yet,some things could have been added to make it better they'll need to make a new version of Tekken and replace all of the bad stuff.
  12. CraigA.
    Mar 7, 2004
    Is tekken 4 the last tekken game please tell me.
  13. AlanS.
    Apr 4, 2005
    This game was the best especially with Jin Kazama as the star and Steve Fox making his Tekken debut but i'm in love with tekken. It forever rocks.
  14. KittyN.
    Oct 11, 2002
    This game ROX! I especially love the new side-stepping, and position changes. I totally disagree with David S; this game can easily kick VF4's ass any day!
  15. CosmicRinako417
    Oct 14, 2002
    I love this game! (and I'm not just saying that because I'm a die-hard Tekken fan). It's about time they added walls in the Tekken series; it makes the game a lot more fun. And even though they changed Jin a lot, he's still a cool character:)
  16. RyanS.
    Oct 3, 2002
    Great game, wish they put all of the characters in it.
  17. DavidS.
    Sep 26, 2002
    Great game but as the critics say, not much innovation. Needed more new characters, and I'm ticked they changed Jin so much. VF4 is a better game.
  18. SammytheBull
    Mar 27, 2003
    I personally think this game is better than Virtua Fighter 4. It has awesome graphics, some of the best fighting in any fighting game to date, the muliplayer is a blast to play with your friends, and the story is really,really good, which is a rarity in fighting games. I had an absolute blast with this game, and I still am!
  19. BenN.
    Feb 5, 2004
    Oh yes u no this is 1 phat game?, a bit crap 1st of all but as soon as u unlock Bryan Fury itz gets as wicked as Tekken Tag.
  20. Kikoy
    Aug 4, 2004
    The still is good and i love it, anyone there who likes Lei and knows many of tricks and juggles pls e-mail me at needle_squall@yahoo.com, i would really appreciate it.
  21. wyls
    Sep 23, 2007
    Alan is an idiot who doesn't know crap about tekken. Sure, T5 is much better than T4 but this was a breath of fresh air after T3.
  22. AnonymousMC
    Nov 15, 2008
    King of Fighters? Virtua Fighter? No. If we are going to serious, the only 3 great fighting series' are Tekken, Soul Caliber, and DOA. But onto my review I truly believe this was better than Tekken 5 since it brought so much new things to the series. Individual stories, soundtracks, hell it even had an improved Tekken Force. Which when you look at it was much more entertaining thanKing of Fighters? Virtua Fighter? No. If we are going to serious, the only 3 great fighting series' are Tekken, Soul Caliber, and DOA. But onto my review I truly believe this was better than Tekken 5 since it brought so much new things to the series. Individual stories, soundtracks, hell it even had an improved Tekken Force. Which when you look at it was much more entertaining than 'Devil Within.' Yuck. All in all Tekken 4 was one of the notables of the series. Expand
  23. Femme
    Nov 23, 2002
    I for one, would have started finding victims if they changed Tekken 4 too much... I WANT the Tekken series to still feel like Tekken (though some of you think that's a bad thing). You have to balance adding new characters and concepts with not irrititating your die-hard fan base. I think Namco found that balance.
  24. Sammy
    Dec 14, 2002
    Fantastic graphics and solid gameplay. but there is something lost in the move to the third dimension. there is also a strange lack of backgrounds to fight in and the ones that are there lack the originality and charm of the ones found in 2. the music is nowhere near up to the standards of the previous games. still this is an excellent product just I know the company are capable of more.
  25. RyanM.
    Feb 13, 2003
    Addictive, fun, and wonderful graphics. Way better then TTT. This game has great ending videos, and it actually has a plot!!!!!! unlike most other fighting games.
  26. MathewP.
    Jan 26, 2004
    It's solid game. Yes it's the same old engine underneath, but the addition of enclosed arenas warrants giving it a bash. It's quite appalling to read people - a) Prefer Mortal Kombat over this b) Whinge about being cornered. Not a fault of the game mechanics, more just your poor skill. The only thing lacking is replayability. The same thing that was lacking from VF 4.
  27. Abigtekkenfan
    May 24, 2004
    It has awsome graphics and is a great game to play. Multiplayer is great fun to play with your friends and the tekken force is brilliant! Craig A tekken 5 is coming out so no tekken 4 isn't the last so don't worry ;). Overall say:- Tekken 4 is a totally awsome game and I still enjoy playing it to this day.
  28. Bribo
    Dec 27, 2002
    TTT gets the 10 this game was a major step down from tekken tag tournament with less players. They added a few things with the wall coming in to play. I really didn't like this cause getting cornered could mean the end of the game. At least if you're just beginning. I got tired of tekken 4 in a week where as Tekken Tag i still enjoy playing to this day.
  29. AnonymousMC
    Dec 18, 2008
    This Alan J guy's driving me nuts damit! maybe Tekken 4 wasn't as good as the rest but "button masher" ? lol that's the craziest joke I've ever heard ... Tekken is by far the most complex fighting game. It took me years to get so good at it. while it took me a mere day to get good at SF3rd Strike which some ppl think its more complex.
  30. Nov 26, 2011
    I enjoyed it but it feels like a step backward for the series. When you compare it to Tekken 3, it just doesn't feel as fun. It does have a few good reasons to play it though such as its fast combat.
  31. May 7, 2012
    i believe this game revolutionized the Tekken franchise. It had, by far, the best realistic stages of any fighting game, best Tekken story but didn't have that big of a roster. I really wish the franchise would go back into the Tekken 4 stages because it was amazing. Also, it's soundtrack is amazing. Not as good as Tekken 3 but its up their.
  32. Apr 4, 2013
    Not as good as its predecessor. Tekken 4 more or less is the same as 3, just with improved visuals and a few new characters. It was a little bit of a let down at the time as I had expected so much more from it.

Overall:
    On par with 3 but it should have been better.
  33. Aug 19, 2013
    after playing tekken 3 tekken 4 is back with better graphics and cool characters there are not much characters like tekken 3 though but still has that addictive game play
  34. Feb 2, 2014
    My favorite that the ps2 had to offer. Best artistic cinematic approach. People could actually take these characters seriously (despite the bears) ,different story lines ending with different end bosses. Best Tekken track to date. Interesting battle zones. Switch maneuvers and breakable objects. People complained about competitive play for Jin having overpowered moves that easily dominatedMy favorite that the ps2 had to offer. Best artistic cinematic approach. People could actually take these characters seriously (despite the bears) ,different story lines ending with different end bosses. Best Tekken track to date. Interesting battle zones. Switch maneuvers and breakable objects. People complained about competitive play for Jin having overpowered moves that easily dominated matches. With that all i agree, but i dont agree that people complained about the stages. They were innovative and something new. I wish the developers would really remake some stages & songs for their future Tekken titles. Expand
  35. Jul 22, 2014
    Unlike the other Tekken games, this game has nothing fantastical about it. It's all too realistic. Though bashing people into things is fun. This is a Tekken game, except without all of the things thank you think Tekken should have.
  36. Jan 23, 2014
    Tekken 4 was the first Tekken game I've ever played. I bought it at a pawn shop when I was in 6th grade. Now that I've played all of the other Tekken games, I don't play 4 as much as I used to. But I still think it's a great game.

The story isn't really much. All there is to know is that every character has entered the KOIF4 and for their own reasons. As for why, Arcade mode is there for that. The prologues are quite a nice addition compared to the previous Tekken games. Now you know why the characters are entering the tournament. Plot holes filled. Some stories aren't as exciting as others and some stories (and endings) are intertwined with each other. But if you wish to unlock more characters, you have to play through Arcade mode. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

The characters roster is small compared to Tekken Tag and Tekken 3 but I prefer quality over quantity. Kazuya Mishima returns (despite being killed off in Tekken 2) and he's better than ever! There are three new characters introduced in this game: Steve Fox a British boxer, Christie Montiero a female student of Eddy Gordo, and Craig Marduk a Vale Tudo fighter who's the target of revenge, They make a great and diverse addition to the roster and their fighting styles shine quite nicely amongst the other characters.

The gameplay is probably the weakest point in the game. Apparently Namco decided to experiment with the fighting system, adding things that didn't need to be added. It also confuses a lot of longtime Tekken fans. Namco should've just left well enough alone. The gameplay is also unbalanced which is bad if you play multiplayer. If you're gonna experiment on a game, do it right.

The music is nice and fits the stages well. It may not be what most Tekken fans are used to but it's good enough. Some of the tracks are a pleasure to listen to and I enjoy listening to them in Theater mode. The stages are realistic and very interactive. You can use wall combos and use the stage to damage your opponent. Very nice. That's one change Namco did right at least.

Tekken Force returns from Tekken 3 and with a vengeance. The mode is much better in this game and it's actually a challenge. The stages in this mode are based off of stages from the game and look stunning. The enemies have different classes and varying levels of strength and defense. At the end of each stage is a boss which is a character. To unlock one of the stages, you have to complete Tekken Force. The least Namco could've done was put a save feature for this mode so you won't have to start over every damn time!

Tekken 4 is the black sheep of the Tekken franchise and it's actually a good black sheep. I recommend this game if you're just beginning to play fighting games. If you're a long-time gamer, you may wanna stay away.
  37. Sep 3, 2014
    I love this game so much and i rated this game 9.9/10.This game has all my favourite characters,moves,stages and combos.I really like the graphics,the storyline and the challenges.I am a huge fan of Tekken and this game is amazing to play at home.

The series could use a bit more depth and original features, but its pedigree as a top-ranked fighter remains intact.
  2. Feels stale and rehashed. In a lot of ways, this is pretty much the same game we've been playing since 1997, but without the refinement of "Tekken 3" or the added team complexity of "Tekken Tag Tournament." [Oct 2002, p.190]
    I have to say that I personally liked this better than "VF4," but they were both a bit disappointing overall.