6.6

1. Apr 13, 2011
    A New Beginning falls flat on its face, its ugly face. Pros: Graphics, visuals, and sound effects. Cons: Generic, formulaic, and the new design may repel familiar gamers even more than Enter the Dragonfly did.
  2. Mar 4, 2017
    This game has a load of problems. I appreciate rebooting the franchise so it doesn't get old, the dark tone doesn't fit the series, and the story is way too bloated and convinced of its awesomeness and importance to be in a Spyro game. The level design doesn't stand out in any way, and the gameplay is incredibly boring. You tend to encounter the same types of enemies over and over again,This game has a load of problems. I appreciate rebooting the franchise so it doesn't get old, the dark tone doesn't fit the series, and the story is way too bloated and convinced of its awesomeness and importance to be in a Spyro game. The level design doesn't stand out in any way, and the gameplay is incredibly boring. You tend to encounter the same types of enemies over and over again, and it doesn't help that the game's idea of a challenge is to have too many enemies. Your attacks aren't very fleshed out, either. You have basic attacks and special attacks, without much combo potential, and the basic attacks are all you really need to kill most enemies anyway, making the gameplay very repetitive.

The save system is also garbage. It's autosave only, and the only indication of it saving is easy to miss. As a result, if you quit the game, there's almost no telling where you'll end up when you start playing again. When I was unable to get past a gauntlet of enemies once, I quit the game and took a while to come back to it. When I did, I was in a place I barely remembered being in, so I had no idea where the game put me. Since then, I've wasted over an hour trying to figure it what to do in an area that seemed like a dead end. That was years ago. I still don't know, and I don't care enough about the game to look it up. I don't plan on ever touching this game again.
  3. KazR.
    Feb 17, 2007
    Nowhere near as good as the old Spyro games. We hated it, too repetitive, too much fighting the same enemies over and over again. No adventure, no collecting gems etc.
  4. TJBrode
    Dec 21, 2006
    It may have been just the game i rented, but i doubt it. The game played horribly overall. I just can't see this game getting much more than a 3. Nice graphics though.

#36 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2006
#44 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2006

1. Play Magazine
    With any luck Krome's overhaul will prove lucrative enough to warrant them continuing the brand, flying Spyro into next-gen skies and who knows, perhaps a veritable rebirth. [Oct. 2006, p.54]
  2. Unfortunately, the entire affair is filled with repeated waves of what amount to the exact same enemies, and it doesn’t take long for boredom to set in.
  3. A series of well-done flying sequences bridge the game's various stages, and the shifting of gears is very much welcome after an extended series of brawls.