8.8

1. Jan 5, 2018
    Most of these cartoon -> video game things are pretty bad, but this was a super fun game to play (I think I played through the entire game two or three times) with really solid movement, gameplay mechanics, and the classic spongebob humor to keep you interested.
  2. Jul 17, 2017
    The best game in history, is one of the few games to which I have so much affection and also marks a very important stage in my life, a wave of nostalgia to my favorite game
  3. Jun 28, 2017
    Ah, another Spongebob game made by Heavy Iron! After playing Battle for Bikini Bottom, it was time to play the next spongebob game released: The Spongebob Squarepants Movie Game. So is the movie game as good as BFBB or is it a cash-grab in order to make money from the film? Let's find out!

Story: Very similar to the film it's based on, the plot of the Movie Game is that King's Neptune crown has been stolen by Plankton, and Spongebob and Patrick must go to Shell City, the place where Plankton sold the crown... Even as a kid I thought it was a decent plot for the Movie, and I still do to this day. The game then follows the movie with each level with some added on sections (which I'll talk about later) to adjust it to the video game format and Heavy Iron does do a really good job/

Gameplay: The gameplay has taken up A LOT from BFBB. This is not a bad thing at all since the gameplay in that game was excellent and I can tell it just made it easier to make this game in a short time frame by using the same engine. You collect Goofer tokens (Golden Spatulas from BFBB) that help you progress through the game and treasure chests that unlock concept art, cutscenes and other items that can be viewed in the main menu of the Movie Game and manliness points. These manliness points are used to upgrade Spongebobs and Patricks health and combat techniques, combat's still the same as BFBB except this time Patrick has an additional attack called "Star Spin" where Patrick does a karkwheel-like attack on his enemies.This time around you mainly fight Planktons enslaved minions that are wearing his mind-controlling bucket helmets and a few robot enemies, though they are quite diverse they just don't feel as well polished as some of them in BFBB with some of their attacks having annoying hit detection scanners. Also the boss fights are good, but are just too easy in this game, except for the last boss which is incredibly difficult. This would be a great final boss fight if it didn't have those flying enemies called flingers who CONSTANTLY REPAWN and take way too many hits to take down. The levels are linear in this game then they are in BFBB and there's a total of 18 of them (which will take up too much space if I list them all), these levels also have sets of challenges, if completed can unlock Goofer tokens. You also get to drive the Patty Wagon and sliding sequences make a return in BFBB, but this time Spongebob and Patrick are on a shell. These levels usually have 3 challenges, a normal beat the time one, go through all the rings and a harder time challenge called "Macho". I do really like these levels but the Macho challenges are hard, and I mean HARD, to the point where I had to look up speedruns to figure out the quickest route. The level design overall is still very solid, even though the enemies are more annoying and the boss fights are a bit messy in quality.

Graphics: The visuals still look pretty good and a similar to BFBB since this game did come out just a year later after BFBB. That being said we do get new environments that look very nice that BFBB doesn't have and the levels are just very nice to look at overall. I don't like the 2D stop motion cutscenes of the movie though in this game. Just feels a bit lazy to me that they didn't do what they did in BFBB and that's having 3D cinematic cutscenes that is more visually pleasing then what we got. However it doesn't spoil the experience at all since visuals is probably the least important in a game and the gameplay is.

Music and Sound: Once again the music is brilliant from Heavy Iron studios, that I would even say is even better then the music in BFBB, especially "Slide" that track is f**king awesome. The sounds as well are also very good still and the voice acting is great still. They couldn't get David Hasslehoff, however the replacement they got was solid enough and only needs to say a few lines so it's not an issue at all.

Verdict: I know i've compared this game constantly with BFBB and I know seemed more negative with this review. I will tell you that I really like this game as well and for what Heavy Iron had to work with, they did well. If they didn't use the same engine as from BFBB, this game might be shovelware to this very day. Luckily it isn't and I still recommend this game to anyone who likes Spongebob or BFBB.
    Story 7.5/10
    Gameplay 8/10
    Graphics 8/10
    Music and Sound 9.5/10
    Overall: 8/10
  4. Apr 27, 2017
    In the same vein as Battle for Bikini Bottom, The Spongebob movie game is a wonderful addition to the Spongebob series of games and does what many movie licensed games fail to do...actually be good.

This game follows the plot of the 2004 Spongebob movie, basically adapting various areas in the movie into levels that take you through the plot via 3D platforming and puzzle solving. Each

Each area is well designed with appropriate music and the controls are very functional, with special areas being scattered around in various levels for extra challenges.

There is a neat upgrade feature for the moves you receive in this game that makes going out of your way to collect points in levels have a real purpose. You'll want to go out of your way to collect upgrade points just so you can upgrade your moves to make things easier. There are also secret chests hidden in levels as well that give you bonus concept art, character costumes and music and the extras section of the menu.

The difficulty balance in this game is a little bit tipped to one side, with it being very clear that you require at least some knowledge in 3D platforming and some prior practice in order to do many challenges and even beat some later levels. It actually took me 7 years of on/off play and multiple playthroughs to finally figure out how to beat the final boss.

All in all this game is great and fill me with nostalgia whenever I play it. If you are a Spongebob fan or just a fan of 3D platformers, you may very well enjoy this game yourself.
  5. Feb 2, 2017
    [ Edited as of 2/2/2017 ] The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie manages to slide its game before its movie counterpart to face numerous other licensed games of 2004 and outmatch them all to even the results with its superior spiritual predecessor named Battle for Bikini Bottom.
  6. Jan 4, 2017
    Deutsche Review - Kritik

Deutsche Review - Kritik

Der folgende Test ist in 5 Kategorien zusammengefasst. Diese 5 Kartegorien ergeben die Gesamtpunktzahl von 0 - 100 Punkten. Um einen passenden Userscore zu geben wird auf oder abgerundet. Bei 84 Punkten ergibt das einen User Score von 8. Bei 86 einen von Userscore von 9. Falls eine 85 kommt entscheide ich ob ich es eher positiv oder negativ nehme. Regeln verstanden?
    Dann sind hier meine Punkte.

Mein persönlicher Score = 89/100
    Mein User Score = 9/10
  7. Sep 29, 2016
    This game is really good! Its a nice platformer. You shouldnt have a bad time with this game.

PROS Level Up System, Graphics, Funny Quotes from the Characters, Using actual voice actors. Great Platforming and Stages, Fun Vehicle Segments, Lots of Bonus Content to Unlock, Many Bonus Challenges to test how well you do at Platforming. You can just teleport to any level or segment

PROS
    Level Up System,
    Graphics,
    Funny Quotes from the Characters, Using actual voice actors.
    Great Platforming and Stages,
    Fun Vehicle Segments,
    Lots of Bonus Content to Unlock,
    Many Bonus Challenges to test how well you do at Platforming.
    You can just teleport to any level or segment you want at will.

CONS
    Stuff is recycled from Battle for Bikini Bottom,
    Voice Clips are Reused alot,
    Final Stage is VERY VERY VERY Challenging, I don't think kids could beat it.
    The game really wants you to keep beating extra missions to continue. And can get very aggravating.
    Some cutscenes are strangely just still frames one by one.
    Enemies can be annoying at times.
    You can get stuck at certain spots in the trench levels.
  8. Aug 4, 2016
    This game is the best SpongeBob game and the best platform game out for the PS2! There's just so much to do and go but never gets annoying or frustrating. You can ride the Patty wagon, collect Goofy Goober tokens, earn fab combos, play as SpongeBob & Patrick, Go tongue boarding, Earn rewards, and so much more!!! This game is a must have for all SpongeBob fans and even if you're not reallyThis game is the best SpongeBob game and the best platform game out for the PS2! There's just so much to do and go but never gets annoying or frustrating. You can ride the Patty wagon, collect Goofy Goober tokens, earn fab combos, play as SpongeBob & Patrick, Go tongue boarding, Earn rewards, and so much more!!! This game is a must have for all SpongeBob fans and even if you're not really a fan of SpongeBob but love platform games, this game is still for you! Best PS2 Platform game ever!!! Expand
  9. Apr 7, 2016
    This game is alright. It's not as good as say, Battle for Bikini Bottom, but it's still a must get for Spongebob fans everywhere. The soundtrack is nice, the graphics are good, and the game can be quite challenging at times.
  10. Feb 25, 2015
    This game is very addicting. There is a lot to do after the story too, like trying to do the time trials and collect all of the costumes for the characters.
  11. Dec 27, 2014
    The greatest Spongebob game ever made. I've never had so much fun with a game based on this franchise. The platforming parts are challenging but rewarding, the level designs are detailed and varied, and the gameplay itself... perfect. You jump a lot, kill enemies and solve puzzles in the normal platforming stages. you slide down tall slopes really fast in "bathtub slide" levels and raceThe greatest Spongebob game ever made. I've never had so much fun with a game based on this franchise. The platforming parts are challenging but rewarding, the level designs are detailed and varied, and the gameplay itself... perfect. You jump a lot, kill enemies and solve puzzles in the normal platforming stages. you slide down tall slopes really fast in "bathtub slide" levels and race against the clock in the "patty wagon race" levels. Mixing all this together makes for a varied and exciting experience. There's several missions on every level (just like in Super Mario 64) and you unlock a bunch of special content (art, sound, videos and costumes) by just playing the game.

This is what every Spongebob game should be like: a game enjoyed by both kids and adults.
  12. May 19, 2014
    Wow... A great movie based game?! You rarely get that these days! The graphics are beautiful, the music are just ear-melting, the gameplay itself really exciting. Ugh, I can't stressed this enough. This ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE is one of the best 3D platformer ever created and it's a must own for every PS2 owners.
  13. Mar 19, 2014
    One of my first games I've ever played and also one of my absolute favorites! They took Battle for Bikini Bottom and simply improved it! You can now upgrade your moves, the gameplay is a bit repetitive but exactly at the optimal degree! The music is very good the level design is rich in variety and the mechanics are just AWESOME. But year sometimes having to collect a few more goofy gooberOne of my first games I've ever played and also one of my absolute favorites! They took Battle for Bikini Bottom and simply improved it! You can now upgrade your moves, the gameplay is a bit repetitive but exactly at the optimal degree! The music is very good the level design is rich in variety and the mechanics are just AWESOME. But year sometimes having to collect a few more goofy goober tokens sucks! Expand
  14. Jan 24, 2014
    I think "what the heck, this is actually really good!" is a good description here. First off, ignore that this is a sponge-bob game. second off, ignore its a licensed game at all. Once you have done both those things, you have yourself one the best 3-D platformers on the PlayStation 2/GameCube generation.
  15. Nov 16, 2013
    Slightly inferior to Battle For Bikini Bottom but nevertheless a great game and one of my all-time favourites. Special recognition to the music (this applies to BFBB as well)
  16. Nov 23, 2012
    The visual art style is a good one, and the voice acting and sfx is good. There was only a few glitches I encountered during my play time. The story is excellent, and it's just like the movie. The mission structure and level design work well. The controls and combat work good as well, and the game provides a real challenge. The game if you want to comeplete everything last about 13 hours,The visual art style is a good one, and the voice acting and sfx is good. There was only a few glitches I encountered during my play time. The story is excellent, and it's just like the movie. The mission structure and level design work well. The controls and combat work good as well, and the game provides a real challenge. The game if you want to comeplete everything last about 13 hours, and the gameplay is varied. If you like spongebob games, then I highly recommend you give it a shot. Expand
  17. Jason
    Jul 12, 2008
    It's kind of funny to see what kind of ratings some of these games get from the "pros". This is actually an excellent game. I bought it for my 5 year old and was very surprised at how fun it was. Spongebob and Patrick have multiple interesting attacks, plus there are driving, sliding and exploration levels. A very good game.....shame on the ciritcs.
    Feb 18, 2005
    This game is the best SpongeBob game and the best platform game out for the PS2! There's just so much to do and go but never gets annoying or frustrating. You can ride the Patty wagon, collect Goofy Goober tokens, earn fab combos, play as SpongeBob & Patrick, Go tongue boarding, Earn rewards, and so much more!!! This game is a must have for all SpongeBob fans and even if you're This game is the best SpongeBob game and the best platform game out for the PS2! There's just so much to do and go but never gets annoying or frustrating. You can ride the Patty wagon, collect Goofy Goober tokens, earn fab combos, play as SpongeBob & Patrick, Go tongue boarding, Earn rewards, and so much more!!! This game is a must have for all SpongeBob fans and even if you're not really a fan of SpongeBob but love platform games, this game is still for you! Best PS2 Platform game ever!!! Expand
  19. DougK.
    Feb 9, 2005
    It's a good game but its hard and you need to get goofy foober tokens un able to beat the game. But i still think its a good game.
  20. ChrisK.
    Jan 2, 2005
    I would give it an 8.5 but the thing wouldn't let me... oh,well. This game accually gets hard at some points. You always end up saying "I have to get 5 flipping more! dang!"
  21. RyanA.
    Dec 27, 2004
    This is the best game ever but i cant find cheats if any one nows were i can find chaets email me. raa9@comcast.net.
  22. TimmyT.
    Nov 26, 2004
    It's great.
  23. MartinL.
    Oct 8, 2004
    This game is awesome.

1. Official U.S. Playstation Magazine
    Provides precious little depth, but as a way of getting the kids up out of their seats, the collection works nearly as well. [Jan 2005, p.106]
  2. The games are solid, responsive, and, most important of all, fun; but their similarities to previous titles holds it back.
  3. Cheat Code Central
    Almost the perfect party game. Up to eight kids can take part in it. Unfortunately only one at a time can play and that's why I say "almost" perfect.