• Publisher: Midway
  • Also On: PC
8.9

1. NathanB.
    Oct 2, 2004
    Dude, I almost wet myself more than once while playing this game. Enough said.
  2. EdB.
    Jul 31, 2005
    The reviews that dont like this game dont like a fear or a scare atmosphere. This game was great -period - for the non-whimp crowd. I have been playing for 20 years and this is the scariest video since the silent hill series. Resident evil does not hold a candle to this. Reviewers that had comments on controls, weapon management systems etc. just dont get it. You buy this game for the The reviews that dont like this game dont like a fear or a scare atmosphere. This game was great -period - for the non-whimp crowd. I have been playing for 20 years and this is the scariest video since the silent hill series. Resident evil does not hold a candle to this. Reviewers that had comments on controls, weapon management systems etc. just dont get it. You buy this game for the scare and atmoshere factor which cannot be beat! If you want super controls etc. stick to Ratchet and Clank this game is for the big boys not the whimps. Expand
  3. MattS.
    Mar 13, 2004
    WOW!! This game is by far the scariest game ever. Take Resident Evil and Silent Hill, mix them with the battle system of Freedom Fighters, add a little bit of every serial killer ever born and you get this. I actually don't see how it got by without a A rating. This game doesn't just scare you by things jumping out at you, it goes far deeper, in side your head. The creatures are WOW!! This game is by far the scariest game ever. Take Resident Evil and Silent Hill, mix them with the battle system of Freedom Fighters, add a little bit of every serial killer ever born and you get this. I actually don't see how it got by without a A rating. This game doesn't just scare you by things jumping out at you, it goes far deeper, in side your head. The creatures are horrifically scary, the main character, constitently hears voices in his head, grotesque images flash on the screen for a second every now and then, such as decaying corpses, and sucide images. But Torque, the main character, has two voices in his head. A demon, which he can turn into, and his wife's. Throughout various parts, both voice try to influence you to do something, such as save a person( the wife) or kill them (the demon). I would have gave this a 11, but the constent use of the F word, and some more prison talk (etc. Full metal jacket !)has lowered the score. It doesn't effect me, and I know it has a M Rating, and it is in a prison. but it is used in every sentence and for those of us who have little bros, sis's, and uhh mothers. Have to either turn down the volume, which makes you miss out on the creepy background sounds, good acting, and effects, or turn on the subtitles and not hear the voices. I recommend this to any mature player out there and PLEASE PARENTS. Keep this out of the hands of your kids, oh and you might want to confiscate their copy of GTA too. Collapse
  4. DrKilljoy
    Mar 17, 2004
    This is by FAR the BEST game I've played for a long long time, I will look forward for midway to continue to make games like this...this is the best scary action etc game made EVER! Nothing is wrong with this game at all...If I were to give it one bad thing to say about it, well that would be sometimes there is clipping, but I would never rate it lower than the highest score because This is by FAR the BEST game I've played for a long long time, I will look forward for midway to continue to make games like this...this is the best scary action etc game made EVER! Nothing is wrong with this game at all...If I were to give it one bad thing to say about it, well that would be sometimes there is clipping, but I would never rate it lower than the highest score because the clipping isn't bad, not like every time, but in some areas, very few. This game is on my top 3 game list and I own 50 really good games for PS2. Great friggin job! Expand
  5. DeanC.
    Feb 9, 2004
    This game looks amazing midway surely made a great game. electric chairs, leathal injection. gosh this game is great and scary.10 points and 100 points
  6. AlanR.
    Mar 1, 2004
    This looks like an incredibly great game. An action/horror game that can be either 3rd or 1st person? That's awesome. Full of monsters that jump out of nowhere to voices inside your head, this sounds like a very promising game, indeed.
  7. JoeH.
    Mar 11, 2004
    Looks good but i haven't seen any good games since manhunt hope fully this will be refreshing.
  8. Chris
    Mar 10, 2004
    A stunning suprise, I picked this up on a whim. This is easily the most intense and immersive gaming experience I've had on a PS2. Great pacing, great control, great premise and all of the scares I never got in Resident Evil or Silent Hill. I couldn't recommend this game enough to anyone who can take turning down the lights a bit and preparing themselves for a creepy thrill ride.
  9. JustinM.
    Mar 20, 2004
    Make more like this Midway!!!
  10. RR
    Apr 2, 2004
    For a true look at what a "masterpeice", this game is, simply read Game Informer's April Issue second opinion.
  11. ChrisW.
    Mar 13, 2004
    This is the best action/horror game since resident evil 2.
  12. RobinofLocksley
    Mar 15, 2004
    A little repetitive, but a solid effort from Midway. The only thing this game was lacking is a quick 180 degree turnabout.
  13. JosephN.
    Mar 15, 2004
    This is a great game,Best action/horror game i have played in a long time, it destroys resident evil as far as scaring you and game play.
  14. Fred
    Mar 9, 2004
    This game is awesome, like Hitman you can have 1st or 3rd..which is FANTASTIC in my opinion. Secondly the graphics are great thus far, the movies, and its got your heart jumping beats every other second....awesome game, great work!
  15. ScottS.
    Apr 25, 2004
    Its good to see that midway can actually make good games, after roadkill and the likes ive been a little skeptical as to how good a gaming company midway was but after palying this and ballers and the highly anticipated psy ops i think that gamers and nerds alike can rest assured Midway is a good devolper, even though they did make road kill.
  16. NickT.
    Feb 6, 2005
    I don't understand the reasoning behind all of these high scores. I bought this game expecting a decent play and was very disappointed. It doesn't have one fully developed selling factor. The gameplay is accomanied by sluggish controls, the weapon management system is one of the worst ones since the PS1 days, and the graphics, while good, were not used to their full potential. I don't understand the reasoning behind all of these high scores. I bought this game expecting a decent play and was very disappointed. It doesn't have one fully developed selling factor. The gameplay is accomanied by sluggish controls, the weapon management system is one of the worst ones since the PS1 days, and the graphics, while good, were not used to their full potential. The game's atmosphere consists of stupid, cheap scares, and the story also leaves MUCH to be desired. I find it funny how Richard Rouse, the lead designer of this game, wrote a novel on how to successfully incorporate good game design into a project and isn't even able to offer a game that contains just that. Admittedly though, this game did offer some enjoyment for the 5 hours that it took me to beat it, but if you must try it I suggest a rental first. Hopefully, Rouse and Surreal will be able to fix the problems in The Suffering with its upcoming sequel, the Ties That Binds. Expand
    May 13, 2005
    It's good to see that the gamers who play this game, for the most part, get it. Well done Midway- More Please.
  18. HardevS.
    Jun 13, 2005
    Truly an original and spectacular concept. A great game accompanied with an intelligent storyline. Can't wait for Ties That Bind to come out.
  19. JesseR.
    Sep 29, 2003
    This game looks cooler that the others of its kind. hell you are a inmate that is mentaly unstable and can turn into a huge monster. then to make it better monsters invade the prison and you have to escape...
  20. MattB.
    Mar 11, 2004
    Holy smokes, this game is scary! It reminds me of a cross between Max Payne (shooting, great control) and Silent Hill (creepy atmosphere, cool monsters). There are way more than 9 levels - I'm on level 11 and the end is not in sight, as far as I can tell. Kudos to Surreal and Midway for reviving a genre cluttered with sequels!!!
  21. DavidC.
    Mar 21, 2004
    Wow...This game is really, really sweet. I've played a lot of creepy games and seen a lot of creepy movies but this is legitimately creepy. Close to flawless, I haven't finished but unless they really mess up the ending I will be wicked impressed, though I would like to get all three endings. Midway, Surreal, you've done a wicked sweet job...instant classic.
  22. EduardoR.
    Mar 24, 2004
    This game is excellent, I needed somethnig like this, lots of action and creepy as hell.
  23. Apr 12, 2013
    I used to play the heck out of this game back in the day! It was scarier than any movie or any other game to me back then. One of my favorite games when I had my ps2. Play at night and alone, you will be scared. If you can and like horror movies or games this is definately one worth checking out!
  24. May 24, 2013
    I remember playing this game when I was around 12. Absolutely terrifying and I craved every second of it. I had never played anything like it and the whole flashback system was new to me (and scary as hell being a young-ling). Awesome game, I recommend it to anyone who liked the original Resident Evil's or Silent Hill.

1. One of the goriest, sweariest action games out there but with some nice touches and a decent combat system. [GamesMaster]
  2. All the factors that make a good survival horror game are here; the story, the ambience, the tension, the scares and the gore. The formula has been slightly changed though, this game is more of a shooter than its predecessors and there is less puzzle solving, but it works.
  3. The game can be thrilling, poorly executed, compelling, expertly crafted and everything in between. [Apr 2004, p.54]