• Publisher: VU Games
  • Release Date: Aug 19, 2002
  • Also On: PC
7.4

1. Mar 17, 2014
    I went into this game with very low hopes, and a small desire to enjoy a game from years past. I love playing older games, and as you can see, most of these reviews are from around the time the game was released. I try to keep things like this in mind (just finished beating Beyond Oasis for Sega, which I loved...for example). However, once I started playing this game, I knew there would be difficulty really enjoying it. I saw that it was somewhat of a short game, and I never shy away from a challenge.

This game has some really good ideas...squad-based strategy...emotion...trust...diversified approach to combat, but it doesn't do any of them well. A great example is the fact that your teammates can be infected, and figuring out who is a THING is a big part of the movie, as it could have been here. Come to find out, it is completely arbitrary. This was one of the parts of the games that I was looking forward to, and there is no way you can actually figure out who is going to turn.

This may also seem like a minor complaint...but after 8-10 hours of hearing "We've got company" (what your teammates scream when enemies show up, which is all of the time) it gets REALLLLY old.

The targeting is pretty good, but the problem with enemies is the approach is fairly similar, even though they tried to set up situations differently. Beat them down...burn them. Punctuate that with sometimes unforgiving check points and you have a problem.

The bosses can be a bit tough, praying on the fact that your character can't move a certain way, but I always found a way to stand in a spot that was relatively safe. Just like any boss, after time, you can beat them without getting hit.

All in all, I would say to pass on this game. I purchased it for 4.99 with shipping on eBay, and the frustration that it caused was not worth the nostalgia of playing an older game.

1. Another barrier to immersion was that the level of realism is inconsistent, and conveniently tossed aside when necessary.
  2. There’s almost a complete absence of soundtrack and it really works in creating a sense of dread (coupled with the sporadic nature of the thing attacks, at least in the early going).
  3. This contrived implementation of a great concept is disappointing, but at least the surrounding game delivers some taught cinematic moments that would make Carpenter proud. [6 Sept 2002]