• Publisher: VU Games
  • Also On: PC
7.4

1. JakeH.
    Oct 4, 2003
    I got this game right now.The date is SUNDAY 05 OCT 2003.T hata today when im writing this or wrote it.Anyway this game rocks.Im not even halfway and its all perfect so far.I have heard people talk about the ending is easy or it does not have a good story but they're wrong.This was the first game i wanted when i got my ps2 and it came out to be the 3rd.Well have a fun time finishing I got this game right now.The date is SUNDAY 05 OCT 2003.T hata today when im writing this or wrote it.Anyway this game rocks.Im not even halfway and its all perfect so far.I have heard people talk about the ending is easy or it does not have a good story but they're wrong.This was the first game i wanted when i got my ps2 and it came out to be the 3rd.Well have a fun time finishing it and good luck. Expand
  2. MikeK.
    Sep 1, 2004
    i give this game mad props..... very scary!!
  3. AndrewG.
    Oct 19, 2003
    Games like this are usualy awesome so i was not surprised when this was.
  4. JohnK.
    Mar 4, 2003
    Graphics are amazing, story is good, and the gore is good. Any one who dosen't like this game is retarded.
  5. StevenS.
    May 9, 2003
    The graphics of this game is really good but they should make more cheats instead of stratigie/walkthrough.make invincibility or unlimted ammo.
  6. JeremyW.
    Jan 31, 2004
    Damn good game... scary game!!!
  7. BobM.
    Oct 19, 2003
    This game was scary and awesome, i loved it. graphics were good and the team managment style is great.
  8. DanM.
    Oct 18, 2004
    This game is crazy! but im stuck on my 2nd boss.
  9. PS2Junkie
    Jun 21, 2004
    This game is hot. anyone who says other wise has a fu..ing twing in their brain i liked this game alotthe only downside is that some of the bosses like boss three are extremely hard to kill.
  10. Jun 27, 2015
    Okay so i remember when this game came out back in 2002 , my dad bought it for me and i was like 7 lol , i had also seen the movie around that time but being a young boy i didn't know what to expect from this game , i remember always getting stuck on a certain level and i got so upset about it my mum sold the game lol , oh well , 13 years later and i have the game again , and what can iOkay so i remember when this game came out back in 2002 , my dad bought it for me and i was like 7 lol , i had also seen the movie around that time but being a young boy i didn't know what to expect from this game , i remember always getting stuck on a certain level and i got so upset about it my mum sold the game lol , oh well , 13 years later and i have the game again , and what can i say ? its a real beauty , this game captivates both fear and trust . You fear the monsters , big and small , the fear of running low on ammo , health , the fear of being alone , the fear of running into someone you cant trust . The trust aspect of the game is even greater , you meet a large multitude of different characters / survivors on the way , most come with a small backstory so you know a bit about them , this tends to be the case for the useful characters that wont be the thing , others you meet with little backstory will usually be infected. Teaming up with people is risky but rewarding , you first have to gain their trust ( if you want to ) although sometimes it isn't optional , the survivors become useful as they differ into 3 classes , Medic , Engineer and Soldier . The Medic is useful as he can heal you and others around you but unfortunately not himself , the engineer can fix faulty control panels which can progress the game or just to unlock rooms with goodies inside , and finally the soldier , who , just provides additional fire power. The character AI is actually quite good , I found little error with the AI at all. Overall this game is great , it may be old but its still gold ! Expand
  11. AlishaH.
    Oct 19, 2003
    My brother rented this, i didnt want him to. i thought it would suck cause i hate games like this. it was actually very good.
  12. JakedeF.
    Aug 27, 2002
    I really enjoyed this game... highly recommended.
  13. NickG.
    Oct 19, 2003
    how can people hate this game, really? all you people who give super low scores because of one little flaw have to stop expecting games to be perfect. this was almost perfect anyway. well, in my opinion.
  14. Jessek
    Oct 19, 2003
    really very good, perfect gameplay makes it even scarier. i always thought resident evil was the best survival horror game. right now i am kind of questioning that theory.
  15. GamesBitch
    Aug 18, 2003
    Takes a while to get into but then very addictive game play insues. Great graphics and Sound. Was sad when it finished,( ending too easy). I think overall one of the most underrated games i have ever played!
  16. Daniel
    Feb 18, 2003
    Recommend seeing the movie first. The game has a good scary touch to it. To be honest though it is a little difficult. So be ready for a challenge. Many people become frustrated at the games difficulty and give it a bad rate without even bothering too try. This is not a simple point and shoot game. It is, however, fun.
  17. RickyH.
    Aug 23, 2002
    A game with great atmosphere!
  18. KyleK.
    Nov 17, 2003
    A pretty damn scary game throughout some points. In some ways better than the horrifying resident evil. An entertaining game.
  19. BenN.
    Oct 15, 2003
    Ok, whoeva says this game is rubbish is a knob ! This game hasn't got ANY MAJOR problems at all, it's well good actually !
  20. ScottN
    Oct 19, 2003
    about as good as i predicted. could have been a little better but still a buy overall (for fans of survival horror). if not rent it anyway, you might deside to buy it.
  21. Ryan
    May 5, 2004
    Boss 3 too difficult, lost interest!
  22. AndrewJ.
    May 14, 2003
    Quite enjoyable but don't expect it to be as good as Resident Evil!
  23. KevinD.
    Dec 2, 2002
    It can be pretty difficult and frustrating at some points, especially when it comes to the specifically strong enemies, but overall its a great game. If your a fan of survival horror games or if you liked the moive then I highly recommend the game. If your a newcommer to the genre or dont know anything about "The Thing" in general, rent it first.
  24. GarrettT.
    Apr 1, 2003
    It was ok.
  25. Mar 17, 2014
    I went into this game with very low hopes, and a small desire to enjoy a game from years past. I love playing older games, and as you can see, most of these reviews are from around the time the game was released. I try to keep things like this in mind (just finished beating Beyond Oasis for Sega, which I loved...for example). However, once I started playing this game, I knew there wouldI went into this game with very low hopes, and a small desire to enjoy a game from years past. I love playing older games, and as you can see, most of these reviews are from around the time the game was released. I try to keep things like this in mind (just finished beating Beyond Oasis for Sega, which I loved...for example). However, once I started playing this game, I knew there would be difficulty really enjoying it. I saw that it was somewhat of a short game, and I never shy away from a challenge.

This game has some really good ideas...squad-based strategy...emotion...trust...diversified approach to combat, but it doesn't do any of them well. A great example is the fact that your teammates can be infected, and figuring out who is a THING is a big part of the movie, as it could have been here. Come to find out, it is completely arbitrary. This was one of the parts of the games that I was looking forward to, and there is no way you can actually figure out who is going to turn.

This may also seem like a minor complaint...but after 8-10 hours of hearing "We've got company" (what your teammates scream when enemies show up, which is all of the time) it gets REALLLLY old.

The targeting is pretty good, but the problem with enemies is the approach is fairly similar, even though they tried to set up situations differently. Beat them down...burn them. Punctuate that with sometimes unforgiving check points and you have a problem.

The bosses can be a bit tough, praying on the fact that your character can't move a certain way, but I always found a way to stand in a spot that was relatively safe. Just like any boss, after time, you can beat them without getting hit.

All in all, I would say to pass on this game. I purchased it for 4.99 with shipping on eBay, and the frustration that it caused was not worth the nostalgia of playing an older game.
  26. TarikT.
    Sep 25, 2002
    This game really sucks, terrible story good puzzels, but probobaly one of the worst combat systems i have ever come across. Yea the combat system really brings the game down 8 points, basically all you do is shoot the aliens and then use your flame thrower, it may seem cool at first but it actually gets exteremly lame. This is a good rental if you were a fan of the movie the thing, which This game really sucks, terrible story good puzzels, but probobaly one of the worst combat systems i have ever come across. Yea the combat system really brings the game down 8 points, basically all you do is shoot the aliens and then use your flame thrower, it may seem cool at first but it actually gets exteremly lame. This is a good rental if you were a fan of the movie the thing, which i must say was sooo dope, i loved the movie. If not you should not waste your money on junk like this. Expand
  27. jimtrashash
    Mar 20, 2003
    i would rather have cancer then play this game ever again,i mean this game is so terrible the only reason i gave it a 1 was the satisfaction i got from taking it out of my ps2 dropping it in the toilet pulling down my pants and stooling all over it then letting it set there for 3 months..i mean dont even rent the f****** thing you stupid motherf******
  28. AnonymousAnonymous
    Oct 1, 2002
    Absolute trash. The game wasn't scary. In fact I was more afraid of the lint in my pocket. Your men are all infected so when you get one its better to waste two shots then a weapon. You are kill in a couple hits, you always need a egineer or you need to open a door, the guns are crap your men (if you are dumb enough to keep them) will NEVER follow orders and usually kill them selves
    Sep 12, 2002
    This game is horrible. The atmosphere is really bad. Not to much to explore and action takes forever to take place. Playstations Shame!!!

#17 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2002
#32 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2002

1. Another barrier to immersion was that the level of realism is inconsistent, and conveniently tossed aside when necessary.
  2. There’s almost a complete absence of soundtrack and it really works in creating a sense of dread (coupled with the sporadic nature of the thing attacks, at least in the early going).
  3. Entertainment Weekly
    This contrived implementation of a great concept is disappointing, but at least the surrounding game delivers some taught cinematic moments that would make Carpenter proud. [6 Sept 2002]