• Publisher: Crave
8.9

1. Apr 21, 2015
    fast review

+ lots if jdm cars
    + big amount of mountain roads to drive
    + great graphics (for ps2 of course)
    + carrier mode with hundreds of rivals
    - drifting is hard (because of drifting requires proper parts and tunning and lots of practice)

great mountain jdm drifting game, must have for entusiasts
  2. Dec 1, 2013
    Here's my review for TXRD2
    *NOTE: The highway versions of TXR are called Shutokō Battle while the mountain versions of TXR are called Kaido Battle in JP.
    Here's my review for TXRD2

The game is not meant for arcade-players or for people who play Crash Team Racing, Mario Kart, etc. this is a Touge Simulator racing game! This game is meant to express difficulty in physics because it was done by 2 Japanese Racing Drivers who both compete in Japan's Super GT/JGTC and D1GP, Manabu "Max" Orido and Nobuteru "N.O.B./No One Better" Taniguchi. This game was actually released in 2005 so therefore is the reasons why the graphics aren't too good when it was release over here in North America.

This game is meant for enthusiast who actually know how to setup the cars in game, I bet half of the people (who are arcade racers) didn't know what a piston, conn. rod, turbine, or intercooler was. TXRD2 is better than the TXRD1 because that was actually release in 2003 in Japan. For those saying the first one was better, uh actually it isn't. You're just not used to the realistic physics. This is basically the "Street-Racer" version of Gran Turismo.

Now everything like physics and car choices are perfected but there's some flaws I have to call out.

1. A.I. programming.
    Now maybe the A.I. programming may have been screwed up because I've seen the Japanese Version of TXRD2 (aka Kaido Battle 3: Touge no Densetsu) and the A.I. are perfect but the US version seems to be screwed up.

2. Sound Samples.
    The car sounds are perfect but it's just the way they sound when the engine revs. Like the S2000 doesn't sound like it's 9000RPM when it hits max RPM or the 5Zigen ITR DC5 has 10k RPM and doesn't sound like it either.

3. Limited Gear Box modification
    Like in most TXR games, if you try taking manufacturer's in-house transmission kits data into TXR; it won't work. I tried using Spoon Sports 1-5 B-Series Crossed Mission for the B-Series Hondas and didn't work, tried using the TRD Crossed 5 and 3 Mission for the AE86 and didn't work. I wish it had fully adjustable ratio like LFS

4. Can't modify Special cars.
    Some of these Special cars have some flaws like the 5Zigen's ITR DC5 Gearbox, Amuse/Genki S2000 is a bit loose, Amemiya Greddy 9's gearbox, etc. these cars unfortunately can't be modified. I would prefer to fix the suspension, get the car's real life gearbox ratio data, increase downforce for better stability, etc.

But overall, the game is really great. Now to GameSpot, I don't know why the f*ck you would say that the game has poor vehicle handling when you don't notice it's actually a simulator? Like I said earlier, this game are for true car enthusiast who actually know their sh*t and aren't for little kids or arcade people. This is for sim-racers!!! Look at the way I told specific modifications and settings for the car like downforce. Those are things a car enthusiast knows.

For all those critics out there, replay this game and try it without having an arcade-racer mind.

Overall score: 9/10

1. While the graphics are not as shiny and sleek as the cars are in real life, and there are no damage affects, this game is great for its price. You can’t find a better deal on a new game; 20 dollars for all these options and challenges should be considered grand theft video game.
  2. Tedious gameplay, poor vehicle handling, and an unfriendly interface are just a few reasons why you should leave this game in the bargain bin.
    The inability to drift still sucks, but now, there's no reason to attempt to legitimately progress through the game since you can avoid these races entirely, and rivals aren't challenging either.