• Publisher: Crave
  • Release Date: May 28, 2001
8.9

1. Jan 5, 2013
    The game is about racing on the Tokyo highways, which have been mapped after the actual roads as they were back when the game was made. The game looks somewhat crude but not horrible, seeing as it runs at a very smooth, high framerate and the cars themselves are made in decent detail. The roads and scenery is simple but sufficient.
    The cars handle well overall, though the steering can't
    The cars handle well overall, though the steering can't be called exactly realistic. However the handling model the game uses feels good, it's more akin to arcade games of the 90's than the more recent titles like Need for Speed. It's extremely responsive and sharp given you know how to set up your ride.

The game puts you out on the highways with a low-end car and little money, and lets you figure out what to do next by yourself. Your goal is to challenge rival "gang" members to one vs. one races by driving up to them on the highway and signaling with your lights. After you've taken out all the members of a gang, the gang leader appears and challenges you. You will move on in this fashion throughout the game, and after every so-and-so many gang bosses, you will be challenged by a member of The Thirteen Devils, a "boss gang" of sorts. There are tons of gangs in the game, and there are two boss gangs who challenge you every now and then.
    In addition to gangs, there are wanderers. Wanderers are racers who will race against you if you meet certain conditions. You can find them rolling along the highway among other drivers, and it's up to you to figure out what you must do to get them to race against you. Some don't have any special requirements while others have many.

Races are man-on-man flat-out races on the highway. Both you and the opponent have a SP gauge, which depletes if you are behind - the faster the further behind you are - and it also takes a dent if you crash into something (which is a setting you can turn off in the options, if you so please).
    This means there are plenty of viable strategies to win races - will you maximise acceleration to dash into first and try to hold it? Will you rely on a long windup with a mind boggling top speed that will trump anyone on a straightaway? Will you try to shove your opponents into traffic or walls? Will you specialise into handling and make your foes bite dust in every tight corner? Or maybe find a balance of all of them?

It's a big part of what makes the game so special - you can do so many things and if you do them well, you will be greatly rewarded for it. The A.I. drivers also all have their own 'personalities' which you might find clues about from the game's "beastiary" of sorts. You can read a small bit of info on every opponent before you meet them, and after you meet and beat them you will be able to learn more, as well as see their car specs and other details.

The game's soundtrack is in my personal opinion amazing. It's pretty much a homage to the Japanese street racing anime series such as Initial D, with fast eurobeat tracks, pumping rock songs as well as more chill electronic music to let you calm down between races. The game lets you customise the soundtrack by picking a number of songs which will be played in different occassions that you can change whenever you please. All the music in the game is original and instrumental.

The cars sound bland at best, which is my biggest gripe with the soundscape of the game. There is a variety of humming and growling and whatnot that changes based on your exhaust type, engine modifications installed and your car's engine type and model. However I've never paid much attention to the details in the sounds since they are all more or less insignificant and quite quiet.

The game is very difficult at certain points, and having no difficulty choices may make some races quite the headache. However with proper skills and knowledge of the opponent's car and the location the game is definitely not impossible. I personally found it the most challenging racing game in a long, long time and also the most rewarding. Every time you take down one of the bosses the game rewards you with a hefty sum of money and sometimes you unlock more parts for purchase.

The game lets you modify your car's looks as well as specs. Don't expect NFS-levels of visual customisation though, there are no vinyls or neon lights or any of that over-the-top stuff. You can modify your body parts, headlights and all that though, and while the initial options are few you will unlock some more as you play the game. The fact that every car model has unique visual parts makes it even better. The performance tuning in the game is simple but top-notch. It's very simple and understandable yet every small adjustment you make makes a difference.

All in all an amazing arcade-style racer with great attention to detail. Don't let the simple visuals fool you into thinking the game plays badly. I would recommend this game to anyone who's looking for a challenging and unique racing game!
  2. GaryLeeR.
    Jul 1, 2001
    I think this game kicks @$$. Its one of the best racing games I've ever played! It definitely deserves a 10!
  3. BobT.
    Jul 30, 2001
    If you like challenging people on the highway instead of going around in circles, this is the game for you!!
  4. Ice
    Mar 6, 2002
    This game so kicks ass. I have it nobody can beat my RX7.
  5. jasonl
    Oct 21, 2006
    yo i have a question thats all can any body explain to me what calc 4 so i can beat this game i have about 820 days on my game and i can never seem to find the last person so i can beat the boss i have the level 8 muffler so any boy help me please
    hit me back at jfriscokid@gmail.com thanks
  6. ChrisG.
    Jul 10, 2001
    For all you import racers out there, this is the game for you. It has good graphics and great cars. You can fix up your car like changing the body kits and adding a body tune.
    Jan 25, 2002
    I was trying to give this game a fifteen but it kept goin' to 10.
  8. Way2Fast
    Feb 13, 2002
    Kix major @$$! You can do anything you can imagine to these cars! Well, not anything (no underdrive pulleys, ignition, nos, superchargers...). They need an American Extreme Racing now with good old American muscle (and rice?). Eclipse 4 life!
  9. MARKHUDSON
    Sep 4, 2002
    I LOVE THIS GAME. IT IS INTENSE AND ADDICTIVE. I WAS INTRODUCED TO THIS GAME ON PS/2 BY A FAMILY MEMBER, AND NOW MY WIFE IS STRUGGLING TO PULL MY ATTENTION FROM THE GAME. IS THERE GOING TO BE A PART 2? IF SO, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THE GRAPGHICS A GREAT. SO REAL! THANKS TO THE CREATORS!!!
  10. LennyB.
    Mar 2, 2003
    This is the best game i have ever played. I am driving a 600hp Supra and im kickin their buts so u guys with Skylines with 1000hp ya dont need that much. I have beaten 394/400 racers and am really looking forward to completing it. The only thing that is stopping me is how when i challenge certain wonderers they cancel. If you have any advice on how to race them email me at This is the best game i have ever played. I am driving a 600hp Supra and im kickin their buts so u guys with Skylines with 1000hp ya dont need that much. I have beaten 394/400 racers and am really looking forward to completing it. The only thing that is stopping me is how when i challenge certain wonderers they cancel. If you have any advice on how to race them email me at shibby_659@hotmail.com - p.s. I love this site, keep it up! Expand
  11. MikeW.
    Mar 9, 2004
    For foreign car enthusiast this game rules!!!
  12. KevinB.
    Jun 29, 2001
    This is one of the most unique and coolest racing games ever. You customize your cars, it has great graphics, and it is more entertaining than any boring NASCAR game. No offence to NASCAR.
  13. TurboStreet
    Jul 7, 2001
    To someone into import racing, its the Best , the skyline type R super Datson, Turbos, common the gear ratios are so real. I give it a 10. I have all 3 of them .
  14. V.Tek
    Sep 7, 2001
    Although the graphics are stunning and should be for the PS2, the game got rather lame by the 500th race...it would have been nice if you could have entered the city, but otherwise for you deciding to go get this game..I say you'll put in a good 2 weeks of thumb blisters before you think you've had enough.
  15. RobertW.
    Dec 30, 2002
    The best racing game ever, my skyline has 1258 hp and growing over 270 mph and 375 of 400 beat.
  16. StevoP.
    Oct 29, 2002
    This is in general a great game, in my opinion. Finally a game about illegal street racing with real car models. The only con about this game is the handling of the cars. When you turn, it drifts way WAY too much. I don't own the game, but I rent it almost every week, so I might as well. Stevo
  17. MatthewM.
    Mar 18, 2002
    This is a excellent game. I like it even better then GT3. In other words I am a TXRZ-addict and proud of it.
  18. KrizzyM.
    May 27, 2002
    This game has the best hangtime you will ever imagine and it makes you want to never gat off of the game because it is so amazing.
  19. HuwieC.
    May 29, 2002
    TXR is one of the best racing games I've ever played. I think it's better than GT3 and Midnight Club. I'd recomend getting this game to anybody. No one can beat my Speed King Skyline. 1100 horse power and growing.
  20. BrettP.
    Mar 17, 2003
    It's a really good game.
  21. Corbin
    Apr 2, 2003
    This game is probably the best racing game ever made. My vote is 100% a TEN.
  22. JoeB.
    Aug 4, 2003
    I love the game. but i think it could have had crash graphics, and regular street roaming abillities.
  23. RonaldA.Jr.
    Oct 15, 2001
    I played both this game and "GT3". I think both games are great but Tokky Zero is # 1 in my book because of the continuous games. One race leads into another and another without stopping the action. So my vote is double 10s.
  24. mysjif1
    Jan 17, 2002
    It needs the personalized plates that were on txr.
  25. Ronj.c
    Jun 19, 2002
    Kool kool race, cars, upgrades, surroundings, etc.
  26. JoshD.
    Jun 25, 2002
    This is one of the best racing games that has been released in years.
  27. JeffE.
    Jun 26, 2002
    For true tuners this game is great you can play it using so many different aspects like startin with a class c car instead of a to make the game more challenging.
  28. JohnnyK.
    Aug 18, 2002
    TXRZ is the best racing game they have ever made. No game is better than this one. I have a car with about 1300 hp and cannot be beat.
  29. R.W.
    Sep 25, 2002
    I am seriously stuck on this game for months now. The problem is I am what you call the second level of the game, I have beaten all the clubs that is available to me and most of the wanderers and three or four of the 13 devils. I have been around the track a million times and I keep getting the same two wanderers and every time I challenge them they cancel me out. I think I lost to one of I am seriously stuck on this game for months now. The problem is I am what you call the second level of the game, I have beaten all the clubs that is available to me and most of the wanderers and three or four of the 13 devils. I have been around the track a million times and I keep getting the same two wanderers and every time I challenge them they cancel me out. I think I lost to one of the devils and I think that is what is keeping me back but I don't know how to challenge him again. I will really appreciate help. Expand
  30. SmilingDevil
    Nov 16, 2003
    Could be prefect if only wanderers could be found more easily... Great selection of cars... Nice graphics... Race on dude!!!
  31. JesseM.
    Nov 3, 2003
    One of the most in depth racing games i have ever played. All the trouble the creaters went throught to recreate the cars and the environment is a welcome surprise to anyone who can appreciate a good tuner race game. I give this game a perfect score as the only competition is from GT3, and this game has so many more features that GT3 can't touch which makes this game for true enthusiasts.
  32. MarkW.
    May 12, 2003
    This game is the best game ive ever played. it is interesting to see the difference between racing in tokyo and in philly.
  33. JoMamma
    May 28, 2003
    One of my favorite games. I highly recommend it.
  34. MikeC.
    Aug 16, 2003
    This game is great. I have a lancer w/ 500 hp, a s2000 w/ 515hp, and a supra w/ 600hp and i have beat 368/400 racers. The only thing i dont like about the game are the crashes and if they make another one they should make it so u can play online...that would be SWEET!
  35. FryA.
    Jan 22, 2004
    Music sucks but the game it self blows your mind.
  36. CherryStalker
    Nov 11, 2001
    Kicks major butt.
  37. Budsmoker9876
    Nov 25, 2002
    This game is great there is 1 problem i cant get the last guys like the mystery ones and there is about about 5 or six guys all over the track that will not race me if anyone can help me on this. i have a screen name on aol instant messanger my screen name is budsmoker9876 thanks.
  38. Jeff
    Nov 28, 2003
    If you like customizing things or like cars this game is for you!

1. It has all the charm and addictive qualities of its Sega-based brethren, with better graphics and more features, to boot.
  2. Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Zero is not without its flaws, but the game's unique battle system and realistic sense of speed make it one of the most entertaining racing games on the PlayStation 2.
  3. If you're sucked in to the experience, you will find that there's plenty to do; cars to customize and challengers to crush. Although some may find it cumbersome and repetitive, the idea is sound, and the game comes out fairly clean in the end.