8.6

1. Jan 3, 2013
    Stealth/action gameplay at its best in this 3rd episode of the Splinter Cell series, really the best PS2 generation title together with Double Agent.
    The gameplay shows some improvements, such as the noise meter and new melee attacks, all surrounded by Amon Tobin's amazing soundtrack. It graphically suffers the console's technical limits but still remains a must play.
  2. DavidS.
    Mar 30, 2005
    This game improves upon this line of games. The cool moves that you can now do, in addition to even better graphics make this the best splinter cell yet.
  3. RobW
    Jun 5, 2005
    John T, how does "coarse language" wreck a game? And judging by the fact that you used the phrase 'coarse language' instead of 'swearing' I'm guessing that you're a politically correct, uptight god-fearing pussy who wets the bed after a scary episode of The Simpsons.

Nevertheless, good, solid stealth that fares a lot better on the Xbox.
  4. TonyB.
    Feb 6, 2006
    This is by far the best splinter cell game in the series. the new moves the co-op everything about it is great. a little like metal gear but i think its a lot better because its realistic no godlike characters with special powers and people die with a few shots. very good game deffinatly worth a purchase if u like stealth or the previous splinter cells or even metal gear.
  5. Wahyu
    Mar 27, 2005
    Nice game, best in SC'S series, slightly better than "Snake Eater", but this game is too complicated for me!!
  6. YU
    Jun 30, 2005
    It is teh best tom clancy game ever.
  7. Roger
    Mar 29, 2005
    A lot of people have rated the PS2 version poorly because of it's graphics, but I submit that it is not the graphics at fault, in fact I would say the lighting and shading effects are among the best on the PS2. The problem is that the levels are severely "Chopped up". Not only have there been strange doorways inserted into the levels to provide loading screens between areas, but also A lot of people have rated the PS2 version poorly because of it's graphics, but I submit that it is not the graphics at fault, in fact I would say the lighting and shading effects are among the best on the PS2. The problem is that the levels are severely "Chopped up". Not only have there been strange doorways inserted into the levels to provide loading screens between areas, but also the different zones that the levels are now split into have had their alternate paths removed, resulting in a straight-forward linear experience, and in my opinion removing the major selling point of this installment which is the open-endedness of the gameplay. I believe anyone who has played the PC demo will instantly recognize that after passing through the first part of the caves there is now an abrupt series of hallways seemingly ripped from what used to be alternate paths from the PC demo. Having said all of this, I would still recommend this to someone without an XBOX or capable PC simply on gameplay merits, and would give it a 7 which I believe is above average. But with even a passable video card I would recommend taking the PC route based merely on maintaining the original gameplay experience. Expand
  8. AB
    Apr 11, 2005
    The PS2 version of Chaos Theory is very disappointing compared to the Xbox version. Still, only the graphics and animation (which were the most amazing aspects of the Xbox version) were downgraded.
  9. JohnT.
    Apr 11, 2005
    The last two Splinter cells were execllent but this one they added too much coarse language and wrecked the game, too bad.
  10. RobertG.
    Jul 7, 2005
    Awsome in both ways. 2 players are short.
  11. SuperKing
    Aug 28, 2005
    A pretty average game that impresses at first with a few genuinely neat touches. Graphics are hit and miss and the script is appaling but the multiplayer is probably worth the price of admission or at least a rental.
  12. SteveS.
    May 12, 2006
    The Xbox version was amazing, but unfortunately the same can't be said about the PS2 one. Certain aspects of the Xbox version were far more superior, including the mulitplayer mode. However the gameplay was still good as were the graphics, resulting in a pretty good game.
  13. CarlosL.
    Jun 15, 2007
    THIS GAME IS JUST PLAIN FUN. This game has the best coop ever me and my friends spend hours just sneaking around knocking guys out. The single player though has one problem some maps are so huge you get lost (Second level on the boat couldn't find Hugo) this is the best in the series so far not counting DOuble Agent. They lost the stupid 3 alarms mission over so u can go around THIS GAME IS JUST PLAIN FUN. This game has the best coop ever me and my friends spend hours just sneaking around knocking guys out. The single player though has one problem some maps are so huge you get lost (Second level on the boat couldn't find Hugo) this is the best in the series so far not counting DOuble Agent. They lost the stupid 3 alarms mission over so u can go around killing everybody and setting off alarms but that makes the game harder. The last level is a bitch. The only drawback are the graphics are not up to par with the other versions. Expand
  14. JithenthiraV.
    Mar 31, 2005
    This game is a gem! Excellent!Fabulous!.The greastest thing to hit the ps2 yet.The only reason i did not give it ten was because it was b,cus it was a little like Meatal gear solid.But if You can forgive the faulty graphics get it! Excellent gameplay!
  15. May 1, 2013
    this was and still is a pretty great game and is worth anybody's collection if you love ubisoft, tom clancy or just retro games in general and i can't wait for the new one that is coming out and you should too
  16. Sep 15, 2013
    Chaos Theory is an incredible deep game. It doesn't treat players like a baby, it knows that the game is so fun you will play it no matter how hard it is. And this game is pretty hard. It has improved on the past 2 games in the series so much! The most notable is the level design. The levels are so much more interesting and funny, it has more objectives on each level so it is worthChaos Theory is an incredible deep game. It doesn't treat players like a baby, it knows that the game is so fun you will play it no matter how hard it is. And this game is pretty hard. It has improved on the past 2 games in the series so much! The most notable is the level design. The levels are so much more interesting and funny, it has more objectives on each level so it is worth exploring too. Great game mechanics and just an overall great experience Expand

#67 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2005

1. games(TM)
    Despite the inclusion of new gadgets and stunning visuals, the series is starting to decompose; playing the same thing over and over is beginning to wear a little thin. It’s a good job the multiplayer experience continues to blossom. [Apr 2005, p.90]
  2. The online mode is not something for the casual player, but if you take the time to learn to play the game right and to study the layout of the maps it can be an exciting experience.
  3. Just an average stealth game on the PS2. It suffers from frame rate problems and just doesn't offer as much as we all would have hoped.