8.6

1. Roger
    Mar 29, 2005
    A lot of people have rated the PS2 version poorly because of it's graphics, but I submit that it is not the graphics at fault, in fact I would say the lighting and shading effects are among the best on the PS2. The problem is that the levels are severely "Chopped up". Not only have there been strange doorways inserted into the levels to provide loading screens between areas, but also A lot of people have rated the PS2 version poorly because of it's graphics, but I submit that it is not the graphics at fault, in fact I would say the lighting and shading effects are among the best on the PS2. The problem is that the levels are severely "Chopped up". Not only have there been strange doorways inserted into the levels to provide loading screens between areas, but also the different zones that the levels are now split into have had their alternate paths removed, resulting in a straight-forward linear experience, and in my opinion removing the major selling point of this installment which is the open-endedness of the gameplay. I believe anyone who has played the PC demo will instantly recognize that after passing through the first part of the caves there is now an abrupt series of hallways seemingly ripped from what used to be alternate paths from the PC demo. Having said all of this, I would still recommend this to someone without an XBOX or capable PC simply on gameplay merits, and would give it a 7 which I believe is above average. But with even a passable video card I would recommend taking the PC route based merely on maintaining the original gameplay experience. Expand
  2. JohnT.
    Apr 11, 2005
    The last two Splinter cells were execllent but this one they added too much coarse language and wrecked the game, too bad.
  3. SuperKing
    Aug 28, 2005
    A pretty average game that impresses at first with a few genuinely neat touches. Graphics are hit and miss and the script is appaling but the multiplayer is probably worth the price of admission or at least a rental.

#67 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2005

1. games(TM)
    Despite the inclusion of new gadgets and stunning visuals, the series is starting to decompose; playing the same thing over and over is beginning to wear a little thin. It’s a good job the multiplayer experience continues to blossom. [Apr 2005, p.90]
  2. The online mode is not something for the casual player, but if you take the time to learn to play the game right and to study the layout of the maps it can be an exciting experience.
  3. Just an average stealth game on the PS2. It suffers from frame rate problems and just doesn't offer as much as we all would have hoped.