Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell PlayStation 2

7.7

1. Nov 25, 2013
    This game was ok, but I would not get all hippy and jippy about it its just a decent game. Way to difficult for me so I did not really get to experience it well...
  2. Jul 16, 2013
    This is a stealth game with some decent missions. Most of the fun is hiding in the shadows. It doesn't quite match the excitement of James Bond or detail of Metal Gear Solid. Splinter Cell is a slower paced 3rd person game. If you do get in a pinch, you seem to end up dead instead of having any fighting chance. Saves obviously help a lot and there is a lot of replaying the same level.This is a stealth game with some decent missions. Most of the fun is hiding in the shadows. It doesn't quite match the excitement of James Bond or detail of Metal Gear Solid. Splinter Cell is a slower paced 3rd person game. If you do get in a pinch, you seem to end up dead instead of having any fighting chance. Saves obviously help a lot and there is a lot of replaying the same level. Careless mistakes will burn you or make you fall into forbidden zones that game over. The controls are easy and more fluid than Metal Gear. The gun play is not really here though, and is more clumsy with a not-so-great crosshair. The first training mission bogs the game's pacing a little bit. Mostly these are just small criticisms. They did an awesome job for a 2003 title. It looks like it could be on PS3. I find myself wanting to play this casually and progress a couple of levels every once in awhile. I'm not super attached to this game.There are so many options on the PS2 for this style. It did help define the genre and become is on phenomenon, but that doesn't free it from criticism or competition. With a slower paced game there needs to be more in-game cutscenes (close ups) and atmosphere. You mostly get voiceovers. With the media powerhouse that is the PS2, it just became a necessity to do extra character animations and I didn't see many. Since the gameplay is more about navigation and cleverness, and not arcade style, they could have made it more comical or add some more flavor (which MGS does best). Great graphics, controls, jungle gym levels and nice progressing game. Would I recommend a buy in 2013? I'd probably say YES. This was a popular game, on multi-platforms, and adheres to a common 3rd-person style that has been adopted in so many other games, so maybe not the most essential game to collect. It would have been more fun with crazier weapons, vehicles, and over the top baddies. The realism is null these days. Its just a game. You probably won't feel bad if you don't play Splinter Cell, but hey, its not bad at all if you manage to find a copy! Kinda fun, but not mind blowing or difficult. Expand
  3. Jun 9, 2013
    Originally released as a timed exclusive on the original Xbox Splinter Cell was considered a ‘killer app’ and quickly became one of the primary reasons to get the console. In terms of gameplay the most obvious comparison was Metal Gear Solid but, whereas Kojima favoured over the top characters and long drawn out cut scenes, Ubisoft’s ‘stealth em-up’ retained a more realistic style.

At

At times the game could be genuinely tense as you used all manner of clever gadgets in an attempt to avoid being spotted and for the most part the challenge was set just about right, although things could become frustrating when faced with missions that were failed instantly as soon as you were spotted. A further flaw, that was the case with many games in the genre at the time, was the fact that the enemies would walk pre-set routes over and over again meaning that simply memorising these patterns was often the key to success.

Of course none of that prevented Splinter Cell from being a top quality title even if it has now been surpassed by more modern efforts.
  4. Jul 15, 2011
    Metal Gear Solid has now a solid rival, hat's off for Splinter Cell. The stealth gameplay is more creative and fluid than Metal Gear Solid. And a realistic story makes better approach for gamers that don't like fantasy games ( story) . If you don't like fantasy story , but a great stealth game with realistic story , go for this, other than that, if you like stealth , this is a most one..
  5. NickT.
    Jan 8, 2008
    Can we say, "amazing game?" this game changed stealth games forever!! probably not for people who only like action. it takes some patience. it's a great game!!
  6. BryanM.
    Oct 23, 2007
    This game is so bad! it is so dang slow, but maybe that because I am now used to the later games for ps2. and that pick lock thing was just lame. the only reason I got this game was because it was free because I bought two other games. that is the only reason it got a two insted of 1. it would have goting a 1 just becasue it is kind of like metal gear solid. if you want a good splinter This game is so bad! it is so dang slow, but maybe that because I am now used to the later games for ps2. and that pick lock thing was just lame. the only reason I got this game was because it was free because I bought two other games. that is the only reason it got a two insted of 1. it would have goting a 1 just becasue it is kind of like metal gear solid. if you want a good splinter cell game on the ps2 get Tom clancy's splinter cell Pandora it is much better and also is faster. Expand
  7. ChristopherC.
    Oct 18, 2005
    Excellent graphics however the game play shall we say is not up to standards expected. The missions are hard to follow, but I still can't wait until the next one. Please hurry Ubisoft.
  8. KeithM.
    Oct 26, 2004
    Ubisoft was smart to make a game in reflection of the ever popular metal gear, however cool the idea of being a stealth commando and using high tech gear its no good if you can't have full mobility! user friendly controls are the regards, flat out the game is bad ass, but more work needs to be put into the make of it or it will lose its cool points very fast.
  9. SamS.
    Jul 22, 2004
    Amazing visuals, but the best thing about this game is the controls and gameplay. While The Sequel Pandora Tommorow is better in every way, that does not mean that this game stinks. Enemy AI is horrible though, but this still should be called "Doesn't matter what it's called get to a store and buy this game now! Steal it if you have to but get it you fool!"
  10. Airbonicsam
    Jun 10, 2004
    The overall game is not too bad. But and its a Very big But, there are a few bugs that take this game one shelf lower than MGS2. i.e. the Guard A.I can be Ridiculous. They can walk straight up to you and not see you. They will Spot you and fire at you for a while but if you hide for a bit he will "eventually forget" that he was about to be killed and continue on his patrol. I personaly The overall game is not too bad. But and its a Very big But, there are a few bugs that take this game one shelf lower than MGS2. i.e. the Guard A.I can be Ridiculous. They can walk straight up to you and not see you. They will Spot you and fire at you for a while but if you hide for a bit he will "eventually forget" that he was about to be killed and continue on his patrol. I personaly feel that this factor brings the game down alot. However the game does have its up moments. The story Fluid and the Backgrounds are whole and polished. Overall this is a game that people will play but will not remember...not as much as a certain other stealth Jewel. Expand
  11. IanA.
    May 11, 2004
    it seems to me like everybody who gave this game a bad rating did to kiss snakes butt however I love almost everything about it the only thing I have had problems with are that some of the levels have restrictions on wether or not you can kill poeple and some dont give much ammo so it cuts into the kombat experience however I figure that since there are levels with plenty of ammo and that it seems to me like everybody who gave this game a bad rating did to kiss snakes butt however I love almost everything about it the only thing I have had problems with are that some of the levels have restrictions on wether or not you can kill poeple and some dont give much ammo so it cuts into the kombat experience however I figure that since there are levels with plenty of ammo and that the restrictions make it abit more challenging (which I like) that it is more than made up for Expand
  12. Mr_solidusS.
    Mar 24, 2004
    Everything that gareth said. Metal Gear Solid Forever!
  13. RafaelS.
    Feb 2, 2004
    One of the Best Games in PS2.
  14. JonathanF.
    Aug 26, 2003
    Very good but sometimes you shoot someone in the head and they don't die!?!?
  15. GarrethO.
    Aug 20, 2003
    This Game is average at best, The main character is stolen from a certain Solid snake, the graphics are shoddy even with the lighting effects, the game controlls like a dead bear and there's no storyline or sense of tension. The Enemy AI is very simplistic even though you have the lighting sensor thing (That by the way was on spiderman so it's not that ground breaking) If you This Game is average at best, The main character is stolen from a certain Solid snake, the graphics are shoddy even with the lighting effects, the game controlls like a dead bear and there's no storyline or sense of tension. The Enemy AI is very simplistic even though you have the lighting sensor thing (That by the way was on spiderman so it's not that ground breaking) If you come near a guard he'll see you and you get a slight change in the music. The guy will run at you with a gun...so what? As for the great array of moves at fisher's command, the splits jump is just about usefull in 2 part of the game and apart from that he can jump like an old man and punch people in the neck (even when they're sat down and he's stood up, it looks bizzare). When Fisher dies he just flops on the ground like a puppet with his strings cut, not that you care because the guy has no real character or depth to him. You have to press about 9 buttons to shoot too, you can't run and shoot at the same time because the game is geared soley towards stealth rather than fighting when we all know that you need both to make a really memorable game. There's no balance, if you get spotted, you're screwed there's no way to run off because he runs like a penguin after an enema. Oh and the guns suck. Apart from that the gadgets are a nice touch I guess. Expand
  16. JonathanL.
    Aug 18, 2003
    This is arugably one of the best games ubi soft has made. Splinter Cell makes you feel like you are in the game. The graphics are very high tech compared to other stealth games.
  17. Jeff
    Aug 7, 2003
    Compared to most everything out there, this is a great game. But don't believe ALL the hype. While the lighting effects and some other graphics are truly mind-blowing, the collision detection is not flawless, and Mr. Fisher floats above stairs and other inclines. Figuring out how to sneak into various locations is fun... but replay value? Nope.
  18. RandyV.
    Aug 1, 2003
    Excellent gameplay very intense, great layout of the levels, superb controls. Very believable story, loved that, great ending too. The shadows and the lighting were also very well done, but the rest of the visuals are somewhat lacking although still far superior to original PSX games. Great game! Definitely a must buy!!!
  19. JackM.
    Jul 25, 2003
    This game is great, some of the missions r hard though, even on the easy diffuculty, i aint completed it yet, cause im stuck and its a hard mission, the graphics r pretty phat as well, i like this game probably one of my best ones.
  20. BrianM.
    Jul 3, 2003
    Having spent a major part of my youth and adulthood crawling through bushes and climbing walls in strange places, I can say that the ethos behind this game is about as totally accurate as you are going to get. Kind of stripped down on the equipment and support, but the heart is there. Kind of like the zen of stealth...except for the splits on the wall thingamabob...can't/won't do that.
  21. CarlB.
    Jun 26, 2003
    Did/do you like to play "hide-n-seek"? If so, you'll enjoy trying to get "to base" with "Splint Cell". "Hack-n-slashers" will not like it at all and the thought process to nav thru each scene is not too difficult. My favorite thing to do with this game is attempt to get through each sub-episode with minimal weapon use (unless its to dispose of electro-mechanical objects). Note - Did/do you like to play "hide-n-seek"? If so, you'll enjoy trying to get "to base" with "Splint Cell". "Hack-n-slashers" will not like it at all and the thought process to nav thru each scene is not too difficult. My favorite thing to do with this game is attempt to get through each sub-episode with minimal weapon use (unless its to dispose of electro-mechanical objects). Note - Apparently some of the scenes depicted on the XBox platform are not available on PS2 (such as the initial "timing" scene at CIA HQ). Expand
  22. BrandonS.
    Jun 4, 2003
    This is my favorite game besides Enter The Matrix.
  23. JoshL.
    May 21, 2003
    This game sucks. there needs to be more blood and guts.
  24. BanditG.
    May 16, 2003
    Beyond Perfect.
  25. JeffP.
    May 14, 2003
    Good, not great game. some new concepts (for all i know...don't play a ton of games) such as the extensive use of light and shadow and having to hide bodies. i liked the story a lot. overall, the game was a little too easy and too linear. however, i am getting a kick out of playing the game again after winning it once and trying to use all my gadgets instead of relying on knockingGood, not great game. some new concepts (for all i know...don't play a ton of games) such as the extensive use of light and shadow and having to hide bodies. i liked the story a lot. overall, the game was a little too easy and too linear. however, i am getting a kick out of playing the game again after winning it once and trying to use all my gadgets instead of relying on knocking everyone out or blasting them away. Expand
  26. DanielD.
    May 13, 2003
    What a mint game is so good.
  27. Ads
    May 12, 2003
    10 thumbs down THIS SUX u cant reload without waistin shots.
  28. EvanK.
    May 8, 2003
    This game rocks!! I haven't beaten it, and I am not really far, but it is so awesome!! The moves and tactics you can pull off are great, not to those of MGS2. Also, Sam is awesome!! MGS2 would also be better, everyone, if Snake was in the whole game. Raiden is so gay!! He is such a friggin wuss. That really hurst the game. SPLINTER CELL ROCKS!!
  29. Pavil
    May 7, 2003
    Incredible attention to detail and "easy to use" controls make this game a keeper.
  30. MG
    May 7, 2003
    This game is too easy! How many guys can you sneek up on and put in a headlock? It gets real boring. I wish there was more freedom throughout the levels. Every level has a specific path drawn out for you. I'd like to see alternate shortcuts, passage ways. I want to be able to repell off all the buildings. I think I repelled like four times the hole game. Splinter Cell is a cool game,This game is too easy! How many guys can you sneek up on and put in a headlock? It gets real boring. I wish there was more freedom throughout the levels. Every level has a specific path drawn out for you. I'd like to see alternate shortcuts, passage ways. I want to be able to repell off all the buildings. I think I repelled like four times the hole game. Splinter Cell is a cool game, but it gets real old, real quick. Expand
  31. DanG.
    May 6, 2003
    Very cool stealth action game. I reccomend it to anyone who likes realistic action.
  32. JohnP.
    May 6, 2003
    AWESOME!!!
  33. BradleyF.
    May 3, 2003
    The only bad thing about this game is the camera and even after a while you get used to it.
  34. BarryC.
    May 1, 2003
    Better Than MGS2 in some ways. (none of the marathon cut scenes)
  35. Xelitexdesecrator
    May 1, 2003
    This is by far the best first person shooter game I've ever seen. The control, graphics, story, everything is great. It's a breath of fresh air in a fog of horrible money-maker games.
  36. TonyB.
    Apr 27, 2003
    This is one of the best games out on the PS2! The graphics and the gameplay are out standing! Once you master the contols, You truly become the splinter cell !
  37. GazzerM.
    Apr 27, 2003
    Not bad, other than the first 45 mins are just running around via training missions, but still better than mgs2. If i was you i would buy this if i hadn't already got it, or rent it at least. Definitely worth a look
  38. JohnR.
    Apr 27, 2003
    Sucks. No fighting allowed. No way to reload your weapon. Forget it Socom beats this game hands down.
  39. JohnL
    Apr 26, 2003
    Great game. A bit dificult but who wants a pos game that you can beat in 10 minutes. *slaps Bill G. Obviously a microsuck fan who pissed on this game bacause he doesn't like playstation.
  40. JaredH.
    Apr 26, 2003
    Most amazing game ever, but except for the controls, the X-BOX versions beats it in every way. The PS2 version has many things missing from the background and lack of details. Obviously the lighting effects and whatnot aren't as good as the X-BOX either. But, PS2 does have that extra level...
  41. JordanC.
    Apr 24, 2003
    The best Game ever made!
  42. JuanR.
    Apr 22, 2003
    I think this is one of the best stealth games made for this or any console. Right up there with MGS:2. Bill G. is a moron and doesn't know a good game when its right in his face.
  43. ChrisB.
    Apr 17, 2003
    Excellent game. It follows in the stealthy, quiet, sneaking footsteps of such great games as Thief: The Dark Project and System Shock 2. I gave it a 10 to make up for the idiot who gave it a 0 who obviously doesnt know anything about games.
  44. CraigS.
    Apr 15, 2003
    I rented the game over the weekend and I couldn't believe how comparable this game was to the Xbox and PC versions. My friend has the Xbox version so I know what I'm talking about. The controls are like 29 billion times better than the Xbox. The graphics may have taken a hit, but remember that this game was exculsive to the Xbox and was in development for the Xbox for a longer I rented the game over the weekend and I couldn't believe how comparable this game was to the Xbox and PC versions. My friend has the Xbox version so I know what I'm talking about. The controls are like 29 billion times better than the Xbox. The graphics may have taken a hit, but remember that this game was exculsive to the Xbox and was in development for the Xbox for a longer time period than the GC or PS2 version... A great filler until Syphon Filter and MGS3 come along. Expand
  45. GilesP.
    Apr 14, 2003
    This is a very good game, the only real problem is the no. of bullets.
  46. BillG.
    Apr 12, 2003
    This game is rubbish for 1 its to hard 3 shots and your dead and even the so-called lighting effects are fake its crap.
  47. M.G.
    Apr 11, 2003
    The worst part is that you can stand directly in front of somone in a doorway and not be seen. I'm only on the 3rd level and I feel there should be more freedom throughout the level. There's only one path to travel to complete the different stages. I wish I could kick and punch as well instead of just elbowing. I hope the next few levels get better. I think SOCOM spoiled me.
    Apr 3, 2003
    Very good game, the range of moves the character can to is great, and theres something very fun about getting some little scroat to give you information then knocking him out. The enemy can be really stupid sometimes though, like one guard who was no more than six feet in front of me, just staring vacantly at this strange darkly clothed man in a shadowy corner (thats me by the way :)... Very good game, the range of moves the character can to is great, and theres something very fun about getting some little scroat to give you information then knocking him out. The enemy can be really stupid sometimes though, like one guard who was no more than six feet in front of me, just staring vacantly at this strange darkly clothed man in a shadowy corner (thats me by the way :)... And that was on the highest skill level. That's a pretty minor flaw though so 9/10 is what I give it. Expand
  49. AlexC.
    Apr 2, 2003
    Good.
  50. Nov 25, 2013

Where the PS2 version really shines is in the control department. The controls become almost second nature after only a few minutes of running around.
  2. Good game, Good graphics. Not as good as "Metal Gear Solid 2." Not enough content. Kind of short.
  3. Superior to the Xbox version in every way... Massively enjoyable yet enormously painful, Splinter Cell is a serious game whose brilliant realism should shake up a few complacent gamers. [PS2 MAX]