• Publisher: Atari
  • Release Date: May 11, 2004
8.6

1. Jul 27, 2014
    This game is HARD. I mean, SERIOUSLY! Level 2: Antarctica, NO THANKS! But thank god this game has some awesome cheats! *yay.* You play as 1 of 3 Autobots going around the world collecting minicons which give you abilities in battle, & shooting up Decepticons with some really good AI that dodges, senses if your near, calls in more people to shoot you, all of that great stuff!
  2. McNaughton
    Jun 14, 2004
    I don't play games much these days - too big and complicated for my ageing brain (29) but this had me hooked. Simple plot, loads of combinations of abilities with the Minicons, plenty to do and explore and find after it's completed... Great fun!
  3. MarcW.
    May 13, 2004
    I love the Transformers franchise and this isn't a bad attempt to do my favourite cartoon of all time justice. It isn't bad...but I would have preferred a game based on the original tv series. Hopefully, the next game will be based on Gen 1.
  4. Yellow
    May 9, 2004
    This game is actually fun to play. Shame they didn't make it filled with classic transformers, but this is still a whole lot better then no transformers.
  5. TFFan
    May 6, 2007
    A great action game, it is a bit too short but it's amazing fun while it lasts. One thing that really impressed me was the AI- multiple enemies try to outflank you, bigger enemies shoot where you're going instead of where you are (that is, if you're running full tilt), smaller enemies dive out of the way of rockets and explosives, and just watch a Commander Unit organise a A great action game, it is a bit too short but it's amazing fun while it lasts. One thing that really impressed me was the AI- multiple enemies try to outflank you, bigger enemies shoot where you're going instead of where you are (that is, if you're running full tilt), smaller enemies dive out of the way of rockets and explosives, and just watch a Commander Unit organise a bunch of grunts into a Tortoise formation- it's almost awe-inspiring. Combined with huge, destructive weapons, great environments, beautiful graphics, intense action and a great Minicon system, this game is hugely enjoyable. Faults- a bit too short, no story, and the vehicle modes are essentially useless (beast modes would have been far more useful and easier to integrate into the environments). Expand
  6. ThomasO.
    May 13, 2004
    For a close to first person shooter, this is a game that hasn't really reached its potential. There are no missions that require the use of a different Autobot, or that take advantage of the abilities to transform. This game could have been a 10. Imagine a truckload of minicons that Optimus has to pull through a decpticon ambush while transformed as his semi self. Now that would be For a close to first person shooter, this is a game that hasn't really reached its potential. There are no missions that require the use of a different Autobot, or that take advantage of the abilities to transform. This game could have been a 10. Imagine a truckload of minicons that Optimus has to pull through a decpticon ambush while transformed as his semi self. Now that would be awesome. However the game is still great at what it is , a close to first person shooter. You get great weapon upgrades and can kill kill kill. The scenery is some of the best on Playstation 2 I have seen. I think the controls can be somewhat difficult but I got used to it. Now I can make Optimus move like a ballerina. I think the boss fights are better than any I've ever played. Again, this game hasn't lived up to it's potential, but far from a disappointment. Expand
  7. MartR.
    May 7, 2004
    Now this is very nice. Everything after beating level one is hard as nails and gets tougher as you play. The graphics are very pretty (squeezing more out of my PS2 than I ever imagined possible), there are some spectacular stages and all the mini-con stuff really adds up to a true hit. Forget the moralizing cartoon from childhood, this is hardcore. Both thumbs up!
  8. JustinC.
    Jun 16, 2004
    Absolutley amazing visuals, very intruiging control design, nice sound, and absolutley epic gameplay. I'm not a transformers geek(although when i was little i liked BEAST WARS) but this game made me like the series a little more and also made me realize how much of a badass Optimus Prime is. Fans will absolutley eat this one alive so get your ass to, walmart, eb, or gamestop now!
  9. BrianN.
    Jun 28, 2006
    This is an awesome game. Very fun to play and you want to finish it just so you can find more power ups.
  10. BlueFalcon
    Nov 8, 2007
    The graphics and production are top notch. But I got bored and currently have no desire to play it again. The gameplay is shallow, and uninteresting. The whole 'minicon' idea didn't feel right to me. You have to collect tiny transformers (minicons), to give yourself special abilities. The game would be more enjoyable if it was based on the old tv show. The quality isThe graphics and production are top notch. But I got bored and currently have no desire to play it again. The gameplay is shallow, and uninteresting. The whole 'minicon' idea didn't feel right to me. You have to collect tiny transformers (minicons), to give yourself special abilities. The game would be more enjoyable if it was based on the old tv show. The quality is definately here, but I regret picking it up. Expand
  11. RobertL.
    May 12, 2004
    Very cool game, things do get tough after the first level untill you get better mini-cons then you can take on waves of the decepto-suckers. GRRREAT!

1. A bit of affection for the characters certainly helps, and being at least a little entertained by the idea of robots turning into cars is almost a requirement. It's too bad the option isn't there to go online and duke it out with other players and their Minibot-enhanced Autobots or Decepticons.
    However dumb, simple, and to the point it may be, Transformers offers serious, valid reasons to warrant play: The game is fun. The game is pretty. The game is polished. The game offers plenty of extras as enticements.
  3. This title has plenty of flaws, but the main issue is that it's simply too typical and too clunky. [June 2004, p.128]