8.8

1. May 27, 2015
    On the first look, this game may seem really uninteresting. But don't judge it too fast, it's actually a really good game. In a world guarded by 5 talismans ... They somehow get separated and your mission as Ty is to find them all. Well, basically you only need to find 3 of them and the final 2 are given to you, but whatever.

What this game excels in is the level design. The levels vary

What this game excels in is the level design. The levels vary from linear, to semi-linear to completely open large levels. In all of these levels, you have to gather Eggs to power up your boomerangs that serve as your attack. You can do that by various ways, such as collecting 300 opals in each level, winning a race or saving 5 locked creatures. Each level also has their own special challenges or mini games that award you either Eggs or Cogs (you can use them to buy new types of boomerangs). Some levels are really large and can take you even 2 hours to complete if you wish to find everything. Fortunately, you have a level map in your menu screen that even shows you the locations of the Eggs.

Ty does not have a large variety of attacks, he can either bite or throw boomerangs. So, it's up to you to progress in the story and obtain new boomerangs that give you additional powers. You'll get access to fire boomerangs, explosive boomerangs, electric ones and many more. A nice variety for sure.

However, this game also has its flaws. There are only 9 regular levels (+ 2 other story levels and several boss levels) and unfortunately, most of them take place in repeating environments. You'll visit rainforests 3 times, snow world twice, sea world twice as well ... So, basically you'll be visiting areas with the same theme repeatedly which is a shame as the levels lose their uniqueness. The strange names of the levels as well as the boring character pictures on the loading screen do not help either.

Talking about the characters, they are all pretty boring and unimaginative. You basically never get to even know them, as most of the characters will be standing in the levels giving you some kind of quests, but there is no proper introduction or good story events revolving them which is a shame, as you'll most likely not care about them.

Another thing that I don't like is the largeness of some levels. This game has a certain type of collectibles - picture frames - which are really hard to find because they are invisible unless you have a particular boomerang equipped. Running around gigantic water levels while hoping not to miss a single picture (there is no counter for pictures per level, so you never know how many you can find in an area making it brutally hard to find them all - I actually found 249/250 and even when I played all levels again while following a picture guide and having the special boomerang equipped, I still could not find it and gave up) is pretty frustrating, even more so if you also want to find all 300 opals and cogs.

The final problem I have is the camera, that's a common issue for most console games. There is no automatic camera and you have to control it on your own. Talk about lazy.

To sum everything up, it is a fun game with superb level design and fun challenges. Completionists will have a blast (I certainly did). It has some issues (bad camera or bland characters), but it is an entertaining experience.

+ Top-notch level design
    + Interesting power ups
    + Fun side quests and missions - great variety
    + Some levels are linear, some of the are huge
    + Great mix between exploration, combat and collecting
    + Each level has its unique challenges
    + Map of each level in the menu

- Bad camera
    - Boring characters
    - Repeated environments
    - Some collectibles are hard to find
  2. Nov 7, 2014
    This is my childhood in a nut shell, this game is excellent with sound, graphics, sociable characters and puzzling gameplay. All of these qualities i would believe helped me learn for later life due to its puzzling nature and variety of problems/characters. Would play this game over anything, outstanding in 2014.
  3. Jan 5, 2014
    Ty is a fantastic game. I loved it in my childhood, I loved it at age 16. The storyline can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. If you go to a level just trying to find Thunder eggs, you arent going to like it. If you go into the level and seeing what it has to offer in all of its glory, you are going to love it. The music to the levels could not have been better written ifTy is a fantastic game. I loved it in my childhood, I loved it at age 16. The storyline can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. If you go to a level just trying to find Thunder eggs, you arent going to like it. If you go into the level and seeing what it has to offer in all of its glory, you are going to love it. The music to the levels could not have been better written if Alan Menkin did it himself. I actually have my own playlists on youtube of Ty soundtracks depending on what mood I am in. I could not be happier with the choice of rangs. They are not flashy, but they get the job done. I think all of the rangs are either necessity or luxury. When used in the right situation, I am delighted to use the rang I need, regardless of which one it is. I think the animations on Ty are flawless, considering the time and console. Ty1 is considered to have animation in spades. Even the particle effects, (minus "Outback Safari" when you are running on the road.), have quite a bit of effort put into them. Water especially, has so much work put into it to not make it look like Ratchet&Clank 1 surface water. Unfortunately, the kaboomerang explosion effect doesnt completely make it to Ty 2. The explosion is there, but the fire particle effect isn't. The levels are so expansive. The larger levels are more expansive as Jak 3's Wasteland, while the smaller levels are about half that. Anyway, the Thunder eggs can be hard to get sometimes. The hardest part is always figuring out how to complete the missions. Once you figure out how, doing it's usually not that hard. There actually are bonuses for beating the game and collecting everything. Beat the game for a bonus world, and collect everything to watch the movies you've seen during the game at any time you want. And as any game, it is always fun to look through all the concept art once you find it. Overall, one of the best games I ever played.

P.S. Sorry to all the people who gave this a good score, I "dislike"d your review. I thought I was still on the Ty 2 reviews.
  4. Dec 15, 2013
    I love this game so much. I've been playing it on and off since i was at least 8... so 8 years! It influences how I am today, all I want to do is explore the wild! I love ty and i love the environments. I am super disappointed by ty 2 3 and 4. I am not sure what to do about it! I have completed the first ty game multiple times and the sequels are just too advanced. the first ty is so downI love this game so much. I've been playing it on and off since i was at least 8... so 8 years! It influences how I am today, all I want to do is explore the wild! I love ty and i love the environments. I am super disappointed by ty 2 3 and 4. I am not sure what to do about it! I have completed the first ty game multiple times and the sequels are just too advanced. the first ty is so down to earth, the sequels are like completely different games. what to do... Expand
  5. Feb 25, 2013
    I highly recommend this game. It's one of my favorite games as a little kid. I picked this back up for nostalgia and I still really liked it. Super underrated, buy so you can see my point.
  6. Apr 12, 2011
    Pros: Sweet graphics, visuals, and overall "old school" platforming. Cons: A little too "old school", being more cliche than original, bad controls and camera angles.
  7. BrianCessar
    Feb 22, 2009
    First off let me say the first world is great. The level designs are good and the music got stuck in my head, and it just sounds... classic . The australian accents are cool too. I like the graphics alot, there are fish swimming in the water, bugs flying around and dust floating about.
    The second world is awesome too. It has my favorite level (Something about night and a frog.) and has that classic music again. But this world is a little difficult. I was actually stuck on the boss for quite a while, coming back to the game 2 years later to find that all you have to do is go underwater, and get those explosive things and shoot at those! And the whole time I was messing around with the meat cans and throwing fire boomarangs at it! Well, finaly I passed that, and eagerly awaited the next world.

But I never played past that world. The levels were just different versions of previous ones (except for that Lyer or Liar thing level, which I never bothered to finish) and it looked nearly impossible to get to the boss at that one.
    After that I found myself giving it away for Christmas, because I just couldn't find any more to do in that game. Yes, my opinion is different, and this post was pretty much pointless but I just wanted to say that.
  8. StevenP.
    Apr 10, 2004
    This game is very fun by the way VICTOR P. IS WRONG!
  9. DominickY.
    Jul 18, 2003
    Wow great workonit. itamzing.
  10. DanielD.
    Jul 5, 2003
    ITS GREAT.
  11. VictorP.
    Mar 31, 2003
    It sucks.
  12. AngelicaA.
    Mar 28, 2003
    Great Game, i played it for a long time. It's a little easy but still challenging, and the graphics are really good.
  13. DavidG.
    Mar 22, 2003
    I love the game. its so amazing i might make a song on it.
  14. BobJ.
    Mar 22, 2003
    it is an amazing game to play and has alot of freedom.
  15. MichelleC.
    Mar 13, 2003
    My kids and I absolutely love this game. Unfortunately, we can't seem to get out of the outback. I wish that there was a stategy book to help us along the way.
  16. AlexisC.
    Feb 25, 2003
    It's very good.
  17. SheilaF.
    Feb 21, 2003
    G'day mates! Yeah I think this game is really super so don't waste your time reading this, go and play it! NOW!! ;D
  18. PamC.
    Feb 18, 2003
    My son loves this game but he can't seem to get through it. He can't find all the cogs.
  19. ShanK.
    Feb 15, 2003
    My son just loves it!! I think there should be more playstation games like this for younger children that doesn't have the violence and destruction most of the playstation games have....there is definitely not enough games geared for the little people!!
  20. PhilipH.
    Jan 8, 2003
    A great game I like it a little better than Crash.
  21. JoeyB.
    Jan 2, 2003
    Great Graphics, awesome plot. I think this is the best game of this type since BanjoKazooie & Crash Bandicoot.
  22. Tytiger
    Jan 2, 2003
    Goodday mates i am ty the tasmanian tiger i love all my adoring fans love you always, TY.
  23. StuartB.
    Dec 30, 2002
    It is a great game for people who like adventure. so remember, hanky panky now yall.
  24. YolandaM.
    Dec 29, 2002
    I love this game, graphics are super and looking for the hidden picture frames is a challenge. I like better then Spyro the dragonfly. Not as good as Crash Bandicoot but still entertaining.
  25. Vsd
    Dec 11, 2002
    This game rules. Whoever put it low must not have a brain.
  26. KyleS.
    Dec 10, 2002
    Hey folks for all of yall that like action/adventure games is the best one. Graphics10/10, gameplay 10/10, and sound 10/10. So kids ask for this game for christmas because it is the best game ever ill promise youll like it.~merry christmas~
  27. Hello
    Dec 8, 2002
    V good :D.
  28. M.K.
    Dec 7, 2002
    Best platformer ever! The graphics kill Crash and Spyro.
  29. LiamP.
    Dec 2, 2002
    It is rubbish a complete takeoff of crash bandicoot & spyro.
  30. JackR.
    Nov 4, 2002
    Awesome game.
  31. KoshN.
    Oct 21, 2002
    Is jimmy the tasmanian gunman coming soon?
  32. GeoffS.
    Oct 21, 2002
    This is a great platformer. Lots of other out at the mo but this rocks!
  33. R.R.
    Oct 15, 2002
    WHAT THE HECK IS THAT (a rip of of taz!)!!!!!
  34. Apr 12, 2011

1. The variety in its environments is quite high, and the large number of mission objectives will certainly challenge you for countless hours. However, the overall level of difficulty isn't that high. [Nov 2002, p.46]
  2. And play through you will as the repetitive nature of the game offers very little challenge despite the inclusion of boss battles, secret areas and herding puzzles. At one point you will have to guide a giant lobster into a cave and seal it with falling stalactites.
    A very standard platform game marred by a wonky camera.