Unlimited Saga PlayStation 2

3.0

1. Jul 11, 2014
    Without a shadow of doubt the worst RPG I have ever had the unfortunate experience of "playing".

This takes linear RPG's to a completely new level, gameplay and movement are so restrictive it would make chess seem more appealing. Any positive reviews would only be from Square employees. Avoid at all costs even if it was being given away for free, please don't waste even a single hour

Avoid at all costs even if it was being given away for free, please don't waste even a single hour of your life on this.
  2. Kage
    Aug 4, 2003
    OMFG this game is the suck!!! Managed to sit thru the crap for an hour before I had to shut it off. DONT GET THIS CRAPPY game, If you read the review on www.gameshark.com it describes every reason why it sucks in full detail. I am utterly astounded that the people who made the masterpiece that is FF3/6 created this pile of crap. Boo on squaresoft!!! WTF were they thinking?
  3. Pogoshmogo
    Jul 8, 2003
    I was very interested in playing this game. ....Biggest mistake ever. Bad graphics, lame characters, annoying music, tedious battle systems, all-around confusing, and completley boring. Horrible new inovations in this game, that i hope never see the light of day again. And i hate the way you move your character. There are so many downsides to this game, it's hard to even think of a I was very interested in playing this game. ....Biggest mistake ever. Bad graphics, lame characters, annoying music, tedious battle systems, all-around confusing, and completley boring. Horrible new inovations in this game, that i hope never see the light of day again. And i hate the way you move your character. There are so many downsides to this game, it's hard to even think of a single good thing. Thbe plot stinks too! Really squaresoft....tisk tisk. Enhergiez was unfinished...but fun, final fantasy 9 was dissapointing...but still ok, but this time you've gone too far, this game is ridiculous. Expand
  4. J.M.
    Aug 20, 2003
    Alright, so the battle system makes no sense and the overall system for moving around is lanky and going from one part of the story to the other is a bit confusing but i think the main attraction to the game is it's story and hardcore rpg strategists would love the challenge. just prepare for longs hours in front of the screen though.
  5. BloodEmperor
    Oct 14, 2004
    Unfortunatley I could give this game a minus score as the system wont allow it.. 2 words.. 'Absolutley Abyssmal'
  6. AcaciaTwentyTwo
    Mar 5, 2004
    Extremely underated. This is the closest that I've come to finding a CRPG that relates to Pen N Paper origins. As the title suggests, the game is unlimited, and finally introduces to console gamers an aspect that has been lacking in 90% of the RPG's out there; FREEDOM, this teamed with numerous of manners in which to act with your surroundings, makes for an extremely deep Extremely underated. This is the closest that I've come to finding a CRPG that relates to Pen N Paper origins. As the title suggests, the game is unlimited, and finally introduces to console gamers an aspect that has been lacking in 90% of the RPG's out there; FREEDOM, this teamed with numerous of manners in which to act with your surroundings, makes for an extremely deep experience for those who want more thought, challenge, and joy of self discovery, as opposed to those who prefer brain candy. No pointless converations with midgets with big heads about peanut butter and kitty cats, no need to search through peoples homes for that one herb hidden in a dresser. U-Saga cuts out the crap. I give this one point less of a 10 for lack of documentation. Admitedly, there's a good amount of self rewarding fun in learning how to understand and play this title, but I still feel that there should've been more resources for those who cared to know more. The manual is small, and the game did not win enough support for a strategy guide to be realsed. Fortunately with sites like GameFAQs, the few of us that actually do find the value in the game have been able to share advice. U-Saga serves as a morale Western society; The more effort you put into something, the more reward you'll get back. U-Saga also serves as a diamond in the rough that challenges intillect; for the rest, I give you Enter the Matrix, and football. Expand
  7. LoganC.
    Oct 21, 2003
    While the manual provided is dismal, which causes most of the confussion, the game itself is actually very entertaining. The watercolor style is innovative and fresh. At first I was frustrated but after hashing out some details, its become quite intriguing. This game will appeal to those who enjoy a challange with strategy, but will probably turn away whiners and those with little patience.
  8. KaseyD.
    Jun 13, 2003
    Ok, the game is very flawed. But, I wish metacritic would stop accepting idiot website and magazine reviews that give items a "0", it ruins the whole purpose of Metacritics average system when people over-exaggerate crap like that.
  9. Orca
    Jul 23, 2003
    Good ideas, interesting story, characters. Bad execution. I didn't know that the beloved people at Square, responsible for masterpieces like Final Fantasy 7 and 10, could do this. Maybe it's Enix. Let's just hope that upcoming projects (Kingdom Hearts 2, FF11, and hopefulyl an FF 7-2) do not suffer from the same flaws that Unlimited Saga did.
  10. DanY.
    Sep 16, 2003
    This game sucks, I still love the romancing saga series from SNES, but from PSX to PS2, the saga series getting worst with the stupid water paints, looks so horrible and boring. FF series rocks.
  11. OneillC.
    Sep 21, 2003
    This game sucks can't believe squaresoft made it.
  12. MarceloC.
    Oct 22, 2003
    Unlimited saga sure is a very odd game but for sure is game that gets elements from other games and plays totally fresh, one of the most well balanced games i played so far.
  13. AneilT.
    Jul 22, 2003
    AMAZING
  14. XixianFlac
    Jul 25, 2003
    First of all, this game sucked right off the bat. as many have said the battles are harrible and the monsters take too god dan much. And the moving was bad, the way they made it look like a gameboard. and thers too many puzzles ...the graphics were bad and the game play was rediculous. regret ever getting that game. the only thiin that i found to be atleast good was the characters they First of all, this game sucked right off the bat. as many have said the battles are harrible and the monsters take too god dan much. And the moving was bad, the way they made it look like a gameboard. and thers too many puzzles ...the graphics were bad and the game play was rediculous. regret ever getting that game. the only thiin that i found to be atleast good was the characters they had some likeness to them for me. And the shop system was horrible too there was no healing items, the only way to heal was to rest and that was shit. so for any future game buyers i heavily recommend that you donnot buy this game because it is BIG waste of time and money!!! Collapse
  15. JonathanV.
    Sep 21, 2003
    Well.nothing to say about this boring game...
  16. MatthewI.
    Nov 12, 2004
    It's terrible.
  17. JesseS.
    Jun 18, 2005
    I am a sucker for Square-Enix games. I tried to approach this game with an open mind, and I tried to enjoy it. I really did. However, this is one of the most TERRIBLE games in existence. The graphics are pen & paper based, which wouldn't be so bad if the gameplay was actually tolerable. Which it isn't. Avoid this game at all costs. Consider it to be the worst RPG ever made.
  18. May 19, 2017
    Contrary to the negative reviews here, Unlimited SaGa isn't a bad game. It's a horribly average one brought to us by the same guy who made FINAL FANTASY 2, not 3, not 6, not 7, not 10. 2. Final Fantasy 2 had a system where you didn't gain experience by killing enemies but simply by using skills and attacks. Want more HP? Take hits. Want more attack? Attack more. There's a really deepContrary to the negative reviews here, Unlimited SaGa isn't a bad game. It's a horribly average one brought to us by the same guy who made FINAL FANTASY 2, not 3, not 6, not 7, not 10. 2. Final Fantasy 2 had a system where you didn't gain experience by killing enemies but simply by using skills and attacks. Want more HP? Take hits. Want more attack? Attack more. There's a really deep system involved with skills in U SaGa that is just poorly explained and leads to people scratching their heads minutes into the game. Combined with a lackluster story and a high difficulty curve and people will be turned off immediately.

My first several HOURS of the game were spent in two or three towns, progress inching forward as I would need to spend more time battling to increase stats instead of trying to further the story. When I would finally make headway with the story a boss would inevitably pop up and slam me back into grinding mobs for stats until I was strong enough to fight the boss. This sounds like a very typical RPG set up, but realize that if I don't get hit my defense doesn't go up. So a fight could be me standing there guarding to take hits for several minutes, and then not getting a stat up because RNG decided not to give it to me. This can be mitigated and abused at times, but it also means that the average gamer becomes frustrated and gives up.

In the end, the game doesn't innovate anything, it borrows from old ideas the designer of Final Fantasy 2 had, slaps them on a new art style, and is honestly a very mediocre game in the SaGa series. Yes, series. This isn't the only SaGa game, it wasn't even the first, and it wasn't the last. And quite a few of those are better than this one. It seems like the man behind FF2 is doomed to always fall when Square pushes his titles West.

#73 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2003
#40 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2003

1. Edge Magazine
    New skills are simply triggered randomly during battles, resulting in the confusing hit and miss levelling up that so infuriates attention deficient westerners... Indeed, the manner of the execution makes for tough gaming but, paradoxically, it's the exclusivity of the gameplay that will attract a few. [Nov 2003, p.108]
  2. I could do without fancy-schmancy visuals and professional voice-acting, all I require in my RPG is good solid gameplay and satisfying plot progression. Neither of which are present in this game.
  3. While I applaud the developers for shedding the trappings of contemporary role-playing games that opt for style over substance, that does not excuse the fact that the actual gameplay is many times awkward and cumbersome.