Urban Reign PlayStation 2

• Release Date: Sep 13, 2005
8.3

1. Mike
    Sep 16, 2005
    I don't know what the reviewers are smoking, but this is an awesome game. It's a BEATEM UP. Who cares about the damn story? And they complain that it get repetative. Well, what more do you expect to do in a beatem up than fight people. The fighting mechanics are solid, varied, and awesome. It's more like playing a full feldged fighting game than a beatem up, and even more I don't know what the reviewers are smoking, but this is an awesome game. It's a BEATEM UP. Who cares about the damn story? And they complain that it get repetative. Well, what more do you expect to do in a beatem up than fight people. The fighting mechanics are solid, varied, and awesome. It's more like playing a full feldged fighting game than a beatem up, and even more so in VS mode. The game mechanics really do stand on their own without the need to add things like free roaming and customization, although you do get to upgrade your guy's abilities in Story mode. Collapse
  2. kanada514fiveonefour
    May 2, 2008
    Best Beat'em up on the PS2. Who cares what the arenas look like? Who cares there is no story!? If you want story, rent a movie, If you want a beat'em up, get Urban Reign. There is more to video games than shooters. The fact that the official critics are bad proves that the game is good. I wish beat'em ups were reviewed by people that actually know something about the genre, Best Beat'em up on the PS2. Who cares what the arenas look like? Who cares there is no story!? If you want story, rent a movie, If you want a beat'em up, get Urban Reign. There is more to video games than shooters. The fact that the official critics are bad proves that the game is good. I wish beat'em ups were reviewed by people that actually know something about the genre, instead of hating it because they're not good at it. Expand
  3. ReyA
    Jul 30, 2009
    I don't understand why the critics complained about this one. The gameplay mechanics were fun and the characters were cool looking people. Even the voiceovers for the characters were good. Ok, so there's not much of a story for single player mode, but most people buy these types of games for the multiplayer mode anyway. The best part is, you can use a multitap and play 1-4 I don't understand why the critics complained about this one. The gameplay mechanics were fun and the characters were cool looking people. Even the voiceovers for the characters were good. Ok, so there's not much of a story for single player mode, but most people buy these types of games for the multiplayer mode anyway. The best part is, you can use a multitap and play 1-4 players. Anyway, this one belongs on my shelf right next to Soul Calibur 3 and IV. Enough said. Expand
    Sep 15, 2005
    I think this game is a really fun beat-em up. but it lacks story and it gets repetitive.
  5. RobertoL.
    Sep 17, 2005
    You have to appreciate it for what it is- a great beat'em up and nothing more. But the animation is great, the moves and camera angles look like they're straight out of a kung fu movie andyou will always feel the urge to do 1 more mission. Yeah it's cheap but so was every other brawler from the 90"s and we loved them for it. And for the record, the GTA series is even You have to appreciate it for what it is- a great beat'em up and nothing more. But the animation is great, the moves and camera angles look like they're straight out of a kung fu movie andyou will always feel the urge to do 1 more mission. Yeah it's cheap but so was every other brawler from the 90"s and we loved them for it. And for the record, the GTA series is even cheaper and packed with stupid deaths but no one seems to mention that in their reviews. Expand
  6. IsaacM.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Great fun playing Multiplayer especially Team Battles!! I've had this game for nearly a year now and love to play something a bit different from games like Tekken (button masher) or Mortal Kombat (too complicated) its unpretentious it doesn't pretend to be anything other than a simple straight forward Beat-em-up and it has terrific fighting mechanics which are surprisingly deep Great fun playing Multiplayer especially Team Battles!! I've had this game for nearly a year now and love to play something a bit different from games like Tekken (button masher) or Mortal Kombat (too complicated) its unpretentious it doesn't pretend to be anything other than a simple straight forward Beat-em-up and it has terrific fighting mechanics which are surprisingly deep and some really vicious hitting (think barbed wire baseball bat to the gut - nice) Single player is nothing special though which is really the only let down on this game for me but how many people out there buy Beat-em-ups for the single player mode? I certainly don't. I hope they make a sequel on PS3. For all of those out there tired of WWE games or just looking for something a little fresh and fun buy this! Expand
  7. Aug 20, 2010
    A hardcore, no-holds barred, adrenaline pumping beat-em-up that combines the arcade action of games like Final Fight and Streets of Rage with the finesse of a modern day fighting game. Using a glut of animations taken straight from Tekken 5, Urban Reign's developers have created a very playable homage to action movies like District B13.

While at times frustrating, Urban Reign never

While at times frustrating, Urban Reign never becomes aggravating, and the seasoned gamer will be able to brutalize enemies over 100 stages, and surely come back to replay their favorite levels. This addictive action game is only marred by its lack of 2-player cooperative play, but players can still go head to head with the game's large and unique roster.
  8. Sep 6, 2016
    runs on PCSX2 ... PAL version.
    This note is only temporary, this can change if better settings are found in the future on another OS and rig:
    Which OS to load, which user account and what hardwares: 6 Sept 2016 … normal 100% game speed, very good graphic with no jagged lines = play this on Win7 64-bit, user account “Sec2ndteer”, Phenom 965 o'c to 3.8GHz with GTX 670 2GB. ... run it on
    runs on PCSX2 ... PAL version.
    Which OS to load, which user account and what hardwares:
    6 Sept 2016 … normal 100% game speed, very good graphic with no jagged lines = play this on Win7 64-bit, user account “Sec2ndteer”, Phenom 965 o'c to 3.8GHz with GTX 670 2GB. ... run it on PCSX2 1.4.0 .. Windows' desktop reso 1920x1080.
    For the setup of pre-cfg files, look for: urbsne456reidg8997.txt
    ... if you want re-tunes it: Don't turn on MSAA, it works but gives extra "shadow-shades" outside the right place on the ground, the extra shading looks like rainbow's colors on certain maps like China Town and Chinese Market. Though MSAA may makes the textures looking better, but you may also need to lower the "upscale multiplier" down from 6 to 4 ... so to increase FPS.
    More nattations on the buggy graphic if MSAA was turned on: “rainbow-bars oiled” paterns popping up like a shadow thing on the ground from time to time (it can’t effect the look of the player model or AI bot models, it’s in the background like a shadow on the ground.
    This a very fun game to play with, as good a SF V and Soul Calibur 3 !!!
    … seen girl fight just like Soul Calibur III moves, exactly!
    Release Date: Sept 2005
    ... how it runs on PCSX2
    Y = grapple … B = strike (most of the time it's kicking, but depends on how far away you're to the opponent, and it should be kicks if pressing the D-pad right or down along with the press of this B key)
    … A = sprint (press it again to stop sprinting. No, you don’t held down onto this button to sprint)
    Tips: Pressing the "Y" button + any direction of the D-Pad can end up using punches and kicks before lift up and slam moves.
    Tips: Pressing the "B" button + any direction of the D-Pad can end up using low/high kicks, it changes when the opponent is laying on the ground or in stun. There is a low swipe kick that can knock the opponent off his feet.
    … X = dodge (you barely moves, but if you press this in time when opponent is about to hit you, this counterthe attack and grasp back at the hand or leg, or weapon)
    … Left shoulder key = pick up any dropped weapons on the ground, or to loose the weapon that’s in your hand – no, no throwing weapons out)
    … Right thumbstick = rotate camera view when you’re in Story game mode and the fights has started, but this won't works in dual and VS arena game modes ...
    ... Right shoulder button = target lock onto opponent(s). Hold it down and look at the opponents' "colored small triangles" marker on top of their head, then press the "A" button (must keep holding onto the right shoulder button) and you will sprint towards him, when you're about 2 to 3 metres away from him, press the "B" button and you'll jump up and kicking and kicking again as you keep pressing the "B" button. You don't need to turn around to face the marked opponent before pressing the "A" button. Note that more than 1 or 2 opponents can be locked-on to, but usually that's because they're fighting each other and is so close together. Just press "A" once while still holding onto the rigth shoulder key and your player will run towards the marked opponent like a trailing missile.
    Tips: the most useful attack is to sprint into 2 opponents as they're fighting, then jump up and kicking at them both in turns while you're still in the air, or use bicycle kicks all at one opponent. That's using the "A" button and Right shoulder button plus then the "B" button.
    Tips: when you runs into a wall, your player will runs up the wall and flips back down, when he does that he will injure any opponent that's chasing him or standing at or near where you're landing your stomping feet!
    When you got stun and stars a circling around your head, mash the left thumbstick and the Y B A X buttons around quickly to “wack” youself up.
    When in “Story” game mode, choose to play as Brad Hawk (also works in arena battles), mash the left thumbstick and the Y, B, A, and X buttons around quickly when the SPA gauge has little of few whits in it, this will make your player do a swirling special move spin kick. But I think all it needs is pressing the Y and B buttons at the same time on the xbox360 controller, but to be safe, just mash them up, but you might using up all many times of SPA sources if you mashing those buttons for too long? The SPA gauge is shown right under your health meter, it fills up when you get hitted, or when you hitted the opponents!
    If you want to get into training, go to “Extras” > “Tutorial” or “Practice”.
    There are many characters to unlock, I think it only has half the roles unlocked for you to play as for start.
  9. Oct 12, 2015
    Best fighting game I ever played in my life and I played a lot. Such beautiful, intuitive mechanics, balanced characters strenghts and endurances, not like in other games where a big guy's punch has the same power as some girl and they can take the same amount of beating. This is so underrated that it makes me mad, no word of a sequel or a remake, such a shame. I spent countless daysBest fighting game I ever played in my life and I played a lot. Such beautiful, intuitive mechanics, balanced characters strenghts and endurances, not like in other games where a big guy's punch has the same power as some girl and they can take the same amount of beating. This is so underrated that it makes me mad, no word of a sequel or a remake, such a shame. I spent countless days playing this in multiplayer with my friends and it's very addictive and fun. I'd score it 20 if it was possible. Expand

#95 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2005
#21 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2005

1. Official U.S. Playstation Magazine
    Better than "Beat Down." [Oct 2005, p.107]
  2. There's no sense of progression, only a sickening sense of tedium as you're dropped into the next box of a level and take on another too easy minion, too tough boss, and the too bewildering camera.
    With its slick visual polish and ample bone-crunching sound-effects, Urban Reign could have come out on tip. But thanks to an endless series of increasingly maddening and increasingly boring stages, you'll find yourself saying "No thanks," and turning off your PS2 and bringing this game back to the store. Xbox owners, be thankful you were spared this agony.