9.0

1. Aug 18, 2012
    This game is probably one of the most clever RPG's I've ever played. It makes you think it's a prequel, but then there's all these twists in the plot that make you question the validity of that. These twists are what basically make the story so great in the first place. The music, again composed by Motoi Sakuraba, is fantastic, the graphics are gorgeous, and the combat is addicting. MyThis game is probably one of the most clever RPG's I've ever played. It makes you think it's a prequel, but then there's all these twists in the plot that make you question the validity of that. These twists are what basically make the story so great in the first place. The music, again composed by Motoi Sakuraba, is fantastic, the graphics are gorgeous, and the combat is addicting. My only concern is that the character design, though meticulously detailed, is very wooden because the lip-synching is just terrible. Other than that, if you loved the first Valkyrie Profile, you're definitely gonna love this game. Expand
  2. YaroK
    Jan 24, 2010
    This has to be the most amazing experience on PS2 I've ever had (coupled with Shadow Hearts 2). The graphics are beautiful, the character design excellent, music is, as expected of Motoi Sakuraba, absolutely enthralling, the story is pretty good as well with neat twists. But most of all I completely fell in love with the combat system. After about 30 hours of main campaign there is, This has to be the most amazing experience on PS2 I've ever had (coupled with Shadow Hearts 2). The graphics are beautiful, the character design excellent, music is, as expected of Motoi Sakuraba, absolutely enthralling, the story is pretty good as well with neat twists. But most of all I completely fell in love with the combat system. After about 30 hours of main campaign there is, as usual, the seraphic gate, it took me about 20 more hours to finish that and I never got tired or annoyed by the battles, in fact, I think I'm going to dust it off and play again. If you still think of PS2 as a viable console (meaning you have it somewhere) and never played this, I can only recommend it. Collapse
  3. WillS
    Jan 13, 2008
    One of my favorite PS2 games. The game was challenging and exciting. Sometimes it may want you to throw the controller at the screen, but it makes you play on and on.
  4. Aug 23, 2013
    Valkyrie Profile Silmeria has an awesome and deep battle system with lot of possibilities. Graphics are fabulous and the OST has many good tracks in it. Great game with a great battle system.
  5. BenjaminJ.
    Oct 6, 2006
    First it should be pointed out that I think this is the most graphically detailed and beautiful game I've seen on the PS2. The game play is fun, combat is fun, the story is big and grand but without becoming soap oprahish like final fantasy. This game is ALMOST as good as the original, but definatly has better graphics. Small, minute, insignificant complaints are. I don't really First it should be pointed out that I think this is the most graphically detailed and beautiful game I've seen on the PS2. The game play is fun, combat is fun, the story is big and grand but without becoming soap oprahish like final fantasy. This game is ALMOST as good as the original, but definatly has better graphics. Small, minute, insignificant complaints are. I don't really like the armor skill system and it is unfortunate that you don't really get to know yer einheiryar like you did in the first game, they are kinda just throw away character you get bombarded with that aren't important because of yer stock of main characters which are generally more powerful. Still, I haven't been bored with this game once, the levels are awsome and to get every treasure in a dungeon usually involves an odd puzzle kind of platforming that is somewhat unique and very rewarding. The cutscenes are completely beuatiful and colorful and this game supports my HD TV with a 16:9 progressive scan so it looks even more perfect. It IS CHALLANGING at times, but its never TOO hard, I have never died from a far away place and had to recover lots of ground, bosses have killed me but saves are always near by. There is A LOT of side questing that can be done and you can spend lots of time gathering ingredients to make very powerful weapons. Even now I am playing and aquired and item that lets me totally bypass most battles but still I choose to battle frequently for the fun of it. Anyhow really this game has amazed me, so please support VP2! Expand
  6. naurahnazhifah
    Sep 26, 2009
    permainannya seru,, seru bgt...!!!
    bikin penasaran,,,
    makanya aku suka game petualangan...^_^ seharus ny aku bisa kasih 10 tapi,,,, sampe sekaran aku belum bisa nyelesaiinnya,, karena aku susah bgt naik ke ats untuk menuju save,, emg ada globe sih ,, taapi , q g' tw it di gunain unt ap..!!! pls,, sapa yg , tw ksih tw q ya,, kirim ke e-mail q,,, nazhifahn@yahoo.co.id,,,
    permainannya seru,, seru bgt...!!!
    bikin penasaran,,,
    makanya aku suka game petualangan...^_^
    seharus ny aku bisa kasih 10 tapi,,,,

pls,, sapa yg , tw ksih tw q ya,, kirim ke e-mail q,,,
    nazhifahn@yahoo.co.id,,,

semoga yg kasih tw it ,, bisa bahagia,,
    kan buat alicia juga,,, ^_^
    PENASARAN nih..

. o ya ,,, ko kalian susah jelasinnya
    kasih tw aj gimana akhirny ,,!!!
    ya ya... ^_^

sekali lagi thanks... thanks,,, thanks...!!!
  7. KINGSHINE
    Nov 9, 2006
    One of the best rpg's availabe for the ps2 console. The games beautiful graphics along with it's fast pace storyline immerses the player into the mystical world of Norse Mythology. The battle system is unique and one of a kind. Truly a must buy for all rpg fans.
  8. Feb 15, 2011
    Along with Okami, Odin Sphere, and Final Fantasy X, this is one of the most visually stunning games to come out for the PS2, or for any system, last or current gen. It's also really refreshing to see side scrolling brought back to the front burner like this. A wonderful throwback to the old school days, but still feels fresh and precise by modern standards. The music is also terrific,Along with Okami, Odin Sphere, and Final Fantasy X, this is one of the most visually stunning games to come out for the PS2, or for any system, last or current gen. It's also really refreshing to see side scrolling brought back to the front burner like this. A wonderful throwback to the old school days, but still feels fresh and precise by modern standards. The music is also terrific, impressively ranging from stirring, Celtic village themes to the haunting, minimalistic sounds of a possessed woods or serpentine cavern.

Getting to everything else, however, the praise begins to thin out. The battle system (the backbone of any RPG), while not without merit, is too easily gamed through repetitive, cookie-cutter tactics. I got to a point eventually where I could win just about any battle by simply breaking off a member of my group, placing him or her behind my enemy, and leading it around in circles to keep my attack gauge full and avoid hits. Some people argue that if a game has an easily exploitable flaw like this, you should just not use it and enjoy the game in a you-know-what-they-were-trying-to-get-at kind of way, but that doesn't make sense to me. That's like saying you should ignore bad acting in a film because you know they were actually trying to give a good performance. Games are judged by the depth and completeness of their design. That's their commodity. If the flaw is there, I'm going to exploit it.

The story, too, is a bit lacking. Not terrible, but it takes too long to get to the major turns. And the dialogue is a bit Final Fantasy 4-ish, with hot-headed, 1D characters who form inextricable bonds over one firelit night at camp, but still retain a petty, soap opera bend to their interactions. That would have been fine in 1991, but at the tail end of the PS2 era, it feels stale and trite. The voice acting, too, while overall pretty acceptable, is at times laughably bad, almost in a good way. Especially some of the battle chatter from Lezard. Sometimes it was hard to tell whether they were being facetious or not. I say not, but I still got a laugh out of some of it, so I guess it's kind of a wash. Overall, a game that's just kind of all over the place. Terrific, Good, OK, and sometimes Pretty Bad. But mostly, it's just Pretty Good. I finished it at a fairly good clip, never really felt bored even when I knew the battles were a foregone win, and always enjoyed what I was seeing and hearing. I just wish they'd done something about that running around in circles thing.
  9. Oct 6, 2013
    This is a bit old but i want to register.
    Battles are good and dinamics, history is good, but not a continue from the last one and the way you fight bosses is a bit frustrating. I remember that even with a guide, that pointed me which boss i would face, i was not able to find the components to built items/weapon to help in the fight, and when i was able, it really didnt helped a lot.
    This is a bit old but i want to register.

It follow the same line of gameplay and battle as the STAR OCEAN LAST HOPE.

The overall of this game is ok, but not exceptional. How they portable this one with theright modifications.
  10. Mar 25, 2017
    Valkyrie Profile 2 continues to make a mockery out of many games released on the PS4, Xbox One and Wii U, even games on the switch struggle to keep up with this game. This is the definitive RPG experience for those who play RPG's not for the story... but the world. Naturally as a sequel, Valkyrie Profile 2 assumes that you have played the first game which was known for its great worldValkyrie Profile 2 continues to make a mockery out of many games released on the PS4, Xbox One and Wii U, even games on the switch struggle to keep up with this game. This is the definitive RPG experience for those who play RPG's not for the story... but the world. Naturally as a sequel, Valkyrie Profile 2 assumes that you have played the first game which was known for its great world building and narrative presentation. In this game however, the focus is less on the narrative and more on the illustration. Valkyrie Profile 2 is not a Persona game, it doesn't even try to be a Persona game and approaching it thinking that it will be may make you disappointed.

Narrative is not what this game is about, the story is serviceable on paper, the narrative is very concise and to the point, there isn't really much focus on the majority of the main cast, save for a couple of characters... but that's not a big deal considering the fact that this game pretty much excels at basically everything else.

When you dig deep into it, Valkyrie Profile 2 actually tells a pretty interesting story... not in its narrative but in its world. In terms of ambiance, Valkyrie Profile 2 might just possibly be the greatest game of all time. Every single area looks amazing and is accompanies by an awe inspiring soundtrack, it is truly a spectacle. I would be lying if I said that I didn't put my controller down and just gaze in awe at how wonderful this game's ambiance is in terms of both music and visual design. It is one of the most well crafted games I've ever seen, You just have to witness this game and see it for yourself, if you can appreciate visuals and music in a game and have been looking for a game that can give you an unforgettable experience, this is the game you should be playing.

If that alone isn't enough to sell you, you're probably waiting for me to talk about the game play and have no fear, The battle system of Valkyrie Profile 2 is just as good to look at as it is to play, It takes the battle system of an action RPG and gives it a more steady, sophisticated feel that few games of its genre ever do. While the battle system isn't real time, it isn't turned based either, it plays out much like a rogue like where enemies move simultaneously to the player and the player is encouraged to time their attacks to build up a combo and is rewarded for doing so.

Much like the game's ambiance, the combat in Valkyrie Profile 2 has an astounding visual flair to it. Attacks are carefully animated to not only provide a satisfying feel to them but to also encourage players not to spam since spamming tends to cancel out most attacks. Certain attacks play out longer than others and if you cancel them out, you won't get the full effect of them... but you can still cancel your attacks should you need to and move on to the next attack. With four characters to control, each representing a single face button for their attacks, the game seems quite simple on paper as you're only pressing a single button to attack with each character... but since you have to manage four characters at once, it gives the player a simple yet challenging experience as they will need to learn how to combine certain attacks together and will be required to experiment often.

In the hands of an experienced player, the possibilities of Valkyrie Profile 2's combat are near limitless and a successful combo is not only satisfying to perform but is satisfying to watch as well. To add to the game's visual flair, you also get to use special attacks called soul crushes which act as finishing moves to end your combo, and these attacks are very satisfying to pull off and are incredible to look at.

Character management is not as simple as the combat but it offers a lot of depth. There is a significant learning curve to understanding the skills system and knowing how to acquire new equipment. This is because many of the game's items are found by breaking off the body parts of enemies in battle and there are tonnes of these parts each with different effects that can be equipped to learn new abilities.

The trouble is, the game doesn't give you a list of combinations and you are once again expected to experiment. An experienced player will be able to learn skills very quickly whereas a less experienced player may struggle to grasp it. In addition you can acquire seal stones using magic crystals which give your party some insane buffs... or nerfs but they can also be used to affect enemies as well. This allows the player to experiment and possibly challenge themselves by making the enemy stronger. Sealstones are the key to getting the most out of the game play since they can make you extremely powerful when used correctly.

Ultimately Valkyrie Profile's combat is almost as enjoyable as the game's ambiance... and I say almost not because the combat system isn't fantastic, which it is but because it's very difficult to be as impressive as this game's ambiance.
  11. Oct 13, 2014
    Another great game from PS2 library.
    Graphics 10/10
    Sound 8/10
    Gameplay 8/10 (I had fun, but You can get throug entire game just mashing buttons)
    Verdict: If You have PS2 this is one of the best RPG's You can get.

#48 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2006
#35 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2006

When it's all said and done, Silmeria is a fantastic RPG and a proud trophy that the Playstation 2 will display as one of the finest "farewell" games. Fans of the series will surely rekindle their love for the Norse-inspired tale of redemption, and the game more than provides on the fan-front.
  2. At a length of about thirty hours, the game may be considered short by epic RPG standards, but it also makes the game that much more replayable. [JPN Import]
  3. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    Finally, a Japanese role-playing game for everyone who hates how talky and slow-moving the genre has become--Silmeria thrusts you into an action-packed quest laden with complex dungeons, tricky puzzles, and plenty of intense, strategic combat. [Sept. 2006, p.104]