• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Aug 24, 2004
8.5

1. Jul 21, 2011
    Style? Yes. Music? Yes. Gameplay? Daunting, confusing, scattered, tedious, ridiculous and lastly full of itself. Okay so its a bit on the overrated side, its got some cool concepts, good action and a fun way to dispatch enemies- cool. Yet, I don't think I've ever been more turned off by gameplay choices in my life. Sure its got loads of comedic (though strange) bits, plenty of funny enemies to beat to a pulp and lots of intricate moves to pull of, but it throws so much in that it lacks focus. Their are so many ways to defeat enemies that the game becomes a bit unbalanced for that very reason. The boss fights are also very challenging from what I recall and I even more so it seemed the lack of (actual) story kind of made me just not give a **** about what I was doing. It seems to have given up cognitive story and balanced game play for stylistic choices and making regular fights look "awesome." Expand
  2. Carlos
    Oct 7, 2007
    A great port to the PS2. The graphics are colorful and flourish each level and nothing ever looking the same. The gameplay is the great 2-D classic feal. You have the same powers as the gamecube. The level design is creative and you never feel like your playing the same level twice as in other games. You gain the ability to play as Dante in this game but nothing really all that changes except the way the character looks. But attacks can become repitive and bosses can sometimes be just so cheap. The biggest complaint I have with the game is the jumping mechanics since you can't grab the side of somthing when you jump you have to get it exactly right. But otherwise it was a great game. Collapse

A slightly reduced retail price and the cool unlockable stuff make VJ for PS2 one of the best buys I've seen all year. It offers something great for those of you that already Joe, and something truly epic for those of you that don't.
  2. As games lean increasingly toward po-faced realism, Viewtiful Joe provides a refreshingly irreverent and honest game whose old-school sensibilities prove that old dogs can still learn new tricks.
  3. About eighty-five percent as good looking as the Cube version. There is some slowdown and some of the more sophisticated special effects have been eliminated or significantly downgraded.