• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Aug 24, 2004
8.4

1. Jul 21, 2011
    Style? Yes. Music? Yes. Gameplay? Daunting, confusing, scattered, tedious, ridiculous and lastly full of itself. Okay so its a bit on the overrated side, its got some cool concepts, good action and a fun way to dispatch enemies- cool. Yet, I don't think I've ever been more turned off by gameplay choices in my life. Sure its got loads of comedic (though strange) bits, plenty ofStyle? Yes. Music? Yes. Gameplay? Daunting, confusing, scattered, tedious, ridiculous and lastly full of itself. Okay so its a bit on the overrated side, its got some cool concepts, good action and a fun way to dispatch enemies- cool. Yet, I don't think I've ever been more turned off by gameplay choices in my life. Sure its got loads of comedic (though strange) bits, plenty of funny enemies to beat to a pulp and lots of intricate moves to pull of, but it throws so much in that it lacks focus. Their are so many ways to defeat enemies that the game becomes a bit unbalanced for that very reason. The boss fights are also very challenging from what I recall and I even more so it seemed the lack of (actual) story kind of made me just not give a **** about what I was doing. It seems to have given up cognitive story and balanced game play for stylistic choices and making regular fights look "awesome." Expand
  2. Carlos
    Oct 7, 2007
    A great port to the PS2. The graphics are colorful and flourish each level and nothing ever looking the same. The gameplay is the great 2-D classic feal. You have the same powers as the gamecube. The level design is creative and you never feel like your playing the same level twice as in other games. You gain the ability to play as Dante in this game but nothing really all that changes A great port to the PS2. The graphics are colorful and flourish each level and nothing ever looking the same. The gameplay is the great 2-D classic feal. You have the same powers as the gamecube. The level design is creative and you never feel like your playing the same level twice as in other games. You gain the ability to play as Dante in this game but nothing really all that changes except the way the character looks. But attacks can become repitive and bosses can sometimes be just so cheap. The biggest complaint I have with the game is the jumping mechanics since you can't grab the side of somthing when you jump you have to get it exactly right. But otherwise it was a great game. Collapse
  3. Sam
    Oct 30, 2005
    A simply gorgeous and wickedly entertaining classic. Not only is Joe one of the most likeable characters ever, but the plot is creative, I laughed alot, and I was worried about the transfer of controls from Gamecube to PS2, but they're actually smoother in this version. If you have PS2, buy it now. If you Gamecube, buy it now. If you have DS or PSP, buy the new game, now.
  4. Unknownslicer
    Aug 16, 2005
    I have just bough Viewtiful Joe about a week ago and it is one of the most amazing games ever. I also played the GC version there wasnt much difference but this is a must have for any person with a PS2. Do Not Miss It Out!
  5. JonathanH.
    Jan 23, 2005
    It's Not as good as the Gamecube version, and they chickened out with the easy setting, still if you just have the playstation 2, It's worth it.
  6. JohnT.
    Sep 26, 2004
    Great fun but too tough too soon and too repetitive, don't be fooled by all those who gave it 100, they're just doing that because it good arcade value- i must warn you that the lifespan is very short.
  7. JermainB.
    Sep 5, 2004
    This is the same game as the gamecube version it was good over a year ago and dante is more of a cool factor than a actual play mechanic and I hate the fact they added a easy setting the point of the game was to make it hard like ninja gaiden man it kills me how on one system they say something makes its new and innovative but when you do the same thing a year later you say the samething.
  8. SiewWaiT.
    Aug 27, 2004
    I have more than 200++ PS2 games and I think VJ is one of the COOOooooOLest... !! The graphics are superb (though a little messy sometimes). Gameplay is unique and it never gets dull. It's like being a real superhero in an action hero ... WOoh... It's slightly difficult to master at first but once you get a hang of it, you'll be 'Viewtifully' bashing and I have more than 200++ PS2 games and I think VJ is one of the COOOooooOLest... !! The graphics are superb (though a little messy sometimes). Gameplay is unique and it never gets dull. It's like being a real superhero in an action hero ... WOoh... It's slightly difficult to master at first but once you get a hang of it, you'll be 'Viewtifully' bashing and slamming... yeah!! =) Expand
  9. EdwinS.
    Aug 24, 2004
    This the best cel-shaded game i've ever played the graphics are crisp and the side-scrolling action is the shiznet.

A slightly reduced retail price and the cool unlockable stuff make VJ for PS2 one of the best buys I've seen all year. It offers something great for those of you that already Joe, and something truly epic for those of you that don't.
  2. As games lean increasingly toward po-faced realism, Viewtiful Joe provides a refreshingly irreverent and honest game whose old-school sensibilities prove that old dogs can still learn new tricks.
  3. About eighty-five percent as good looking as the Cube version. There is some slowdown and some of the more sophisticated special effects have been eliminated or significantly downgraded.