Viewtiful Joe PlayStation 2

• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Aug 24, 2004
8.4

1. Jul 21, 2011
    Style? Yes. Music? Yes. Gameplay? Daunting, confusing, scattered, tedious, ridiculous and lastly full of itself. Okay so its a bit on the overrated side, its got some cool concepts, good action and a fun way to dispatch enemies- cool. Yet, I don't think I've ever been more turned off by gameplay choices in my life. Sure its got loads of comedic (though strange) bits, plenty ofStyle? Yes. Music? Yes. Gameplay? Daunting, confusing, scattered, tedious, ridiculous and lastly full of itself. Okay so its a bit on the overrated side, its got some cool concepts, good action and a fun way to dispatch enemies- cool. Yet, I don't think I've ever been more turned off by gameplay choices in my life. Sure its got loads of comedic (though strange) bits, plenty of funny enemies to beat to a pulp and lots of intricate moves to pull of, but it throws so much in that it lacks focus. Their are so many ways to defeat enemies that the game becomes a bit unbalanced for that very reason. The boss fights are also very challenging from what I recall and I even more so it seemed the lack of (actual) story kind of made me just not give a **** about what I was doing. It seems to have given up cognitive story and balanced game play for stylistic choices and making regular fights look "awesome." Expand
  2. JohnT.
    Sep 26, 2004
    Great fun but too tough too soon and too repetitive, don't be fooled by all those who gave it 100, they're just doing that because it good arcade value- i must warn you that the lifespan is very short.
  3. JermainB.
    Sep 5, 2004
    This is the same game as the gamecube version it was good over a year ago and dante is more of a cool factor than a actual play mechanic and I hate the fact they added a easy setting the point of the game was to make it hard like ninja gaiden man it kills me how on one system they say something makes its new and innovative but when you do the same thing a year later you say the samething.
  4. JonathanH.
    Jan 23, 2005
    It's Not as good as the Gamecube version, and they chickened out with the easy setting, still if you just have the playstation 2, It's worth it.

#96 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2004

A slightly reduced retail price and the cool unlockable stuff make VJ for PS2 one of the best buys I've seen all year. It offers something great for those of you that already Joe, and something truly epic for those of you that don't.
  2. As games lean increasingly toward po-faced realism, Viewtiful Joe provides a refreshingly irreverent and honest game whose old-school sensibilities prove that old dogs can still learn new tricks.
  3. Cheat Code Central
    About eighty-five percent as good looking as the Cube version. There is some slowdown and some of the more sophisticated special effects have been eliminated or significantly downgraded.