Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution PlayStation 2

• Release Date: Aug 13, 2003
8.9

1. Belzebub
    Jun 29, 2003
    It's good but soul calibur wins.
  2. John-paulW.
    Aug 25, 2003
    VF4evo is the best fighting game around. people who compare it to SC2, tekken or DOA simply don't have a clue. This is not an opinion. The only possible gripe is that sega crippled the save system so you can't use your custom characters with someone else's system file. The $20 pricetag balances that out however.
  3. KevinB.
    Dec 7, 2003
    This game is great like no other tekken graphics if u like fighting games get this the game no. 1.
  4. PeterH.
    Jul 15, 2003
    Once again sega, or what ever company that name is draped over now, has pulled out a pearl. I played the series in arcades when it first came out, and it wowed me then. this is obviously a massive step up and as for the previous post, yes soul calibur is definitely worth your time but this game is certinaly a more traditonal fighter and i don't mean it has a slew of sequels in the Once again sega, or what ever company that name is draped over now, has pulled out a pearl. I played the series in arcades when it first came out, and it wowed me then. this is obviously a massive step up and as for the previous post, yes soul calibur is definitely worth your time but this game is certinaly a more traditonal fighter and i don't mean it has a slew of sequels in the series (which it does), I mean it is traditional in the sense that it takes real martial arts and puts them directly in the game. Once again Wow. Expand
  5. JeffR.
    Aug 11, 2003
    VF4+more replayability+sharper graphics+2 new characters = oh yes. 10.
  6. Uter
    Aug 14, 2003
    Everything that bigged me about the 1st VF4 has been addressed. No more jaggies. Much deeper Kumite mode (called Quest now). You can buy unlockables now so that it's not completely random - you can choose what you buy. And of course there's 2 new characters. I'd rate the game right up there with GTA3 as far as greatness.
  7. RajiK.
    Aug 15, 2003
    Simply Oitstanding. Never has playing a fighting game made you so much better in playing the genre occured. Tons of depth and replay value wiht countless amounts of strategies and tactics to be discovered. There may be only 15 characters but unlike some other games they are all totally different (not by apperarances) but in the fact that they all have their strong points and weakness. Simply Oitstanding. Never has playing a fighting game made you so much better in playing the genre occured. Tons of depth and replay value wiht countless amounts of strategies and tactics to be discovered. There may be only 15 characters but unlike some other games they are all totally different (not by apperarances) but in the fact that they all have their strong points and weakness. Graphics have also been improved, animation is as smooth as ever. Music is a bit of alet with unrealistic crunches and pretty ribbish background music but since when was that a problem with fighting games? Neither does it have a proper story line which is a reason why only hardcore gamers go for it. But as pure gameplay is concerned it doesnt get any better. I dont know much about soul caliber so I cant comment but I can say that I prefer real martial arts (with a certain amount of exageration) to swords and ohter weopons involved. The only true to life martial arts fighting game with unbeatable nonstop exciting action. Buy it now! Collapse
  8. ChaosLightning
    BEST FIGHTER EVER!!!!!!!
  9. JonathanJ.
    Aug 15, 2003
    WOW. I started playing VF in 1993/4 and have loved the series so much, of and on, since. I'm so very glad AM2 delivered us a U.S. port!! This game literally takes years to master. It took me about a year to begin to master VF2 and VF4E will be my new love for quite some time. That is if I have enough time. Virtua Fighter is my personal favorite fighting game. I've been gaming WOW. I started playing VF in 1993/4 and have loved the series so much, of and on, since. I'm so very glad AM2 delivered us a U.S. port!! This game literally takes years to master. It took me about a year to begin to master VF2 and VF4E will be my new love for quite some time. That is if I have enough time. Virtua Fighter is my personal favorite fighting game. I've been gaming for about 25 years now and have played thousands of games and I know when I play a top quality game and VF4 and VF4 Evo are both incredible games! I think VF4E is the best yet. I will buy Soul Calibur 2 as well. (I threw well over $1,000 on the sit down arcade big screen version of VF2 in Winchester VA in 1995 & 1996. That was great fun because the best local VF'ers always showed up for a long time. One guy was a master Akira player!) Expand
  10. CharlesS.
    Aug 16, 2003
    Very good graphics, - a bit more polished than the previous VF4, loads of unlockable stuff, brill tunes, a true classic game. Its depth will keep you entertained for ages.
  11. NinjaMafia
    Aug 5, 2003
    This game is basically VF4 which wasn't that great of a game to begin with I guess I'll just have to wait for SC2.
  12. LoganS.
    Sep 6, 2003
    This is an awesome fighting game!!! It's as good, if not better than Soul Calibur! I don't know what the hell EDGE magazine is talking about! Yeah, not a whole lot has changed since Virtua Fighter 4, but who cares! The changes that were made make this better than its predessesor.
  13. AlexS.
    Sep 6, 2003
    As good as Soul Calibur.
  14. AsaS.
    Jan 26, 2004
    I hope there be could be a better game like mortal kombat DA because it has guns weapons and if u dont want weapons u can fight with ur hands and feet and the graphics sooooo da best of all (by the way i havent played VF4 E lol)
  15. RyanM.
    Jun 11, 2004
    The best fighting game ever because it will make you a better fighter in all of the modes.
  16. Saggy3dope2
    Aug 7, 2004
    It kicks ass but Soul Calibur 2 is somewhat better cause it has more new stuff this game has a lot new too but chacter wise only 2 new but brad is the best one out of the rest and it is the most real just hands and feet i have lost many nights of sleep over the best 20$ i ever spent.
  17. RaphaelR.
    Aug 15, 2005
    THE score that i really wanan give this game is 9.7 but since that isn't here i gave it a 10 instead. ANyway, This game is just awesome, This game is the most balanced fighting game you will ever play, also probably the most tactical fighting game, People say this game is hard well it is when you get to fight against 8th dans or higher ranked enemies. but there's nothing to be THE score that i really wanan give this game is 9.7 but since that isn't here i gave it a 10 instead. ANyway, This game is just awesome, This game is the most balanced fighting game you will ever play, also probably the most tactical fighting game, People say this game is hard well it is when you get to fight against 8th dans or higher ranked enemies. but there's nothing to be scared off really because the training mode in this game is just superb , it will teach you the basics , all the moves , all the tactics , special movements , and the training mode will just make you a better player... from a newbie to an expert. the graphics are great but not the best.. well thisg ame was made about 2 years ago so yea it still good though , anyway if you love fighting games, or are serious about fighting games, or just wanan have fun , this game is for you. the only bad thing you can say about htis game is it would have been nice if it had more characters. i mean i suppose you don't really need it since each character PLAYS ALOT different than others... so yea this game isn't like tekken who has characters with the same moves so yea Expand
  18. AkiraY.
    Aug 14, 2003
    I don't know why we, Americans, hate VF. Stupid Tekken took all the credit for nothing. Don't get me wrong but Tekken is a great game too. VF is the origin of the virtual 3D combat. VF4 fighting system is amazingly deep if you play for awhile. VF4 Evo? What can you ask for more? New mode, new characters, and best graphics on PS2... SC2 on the other hand will give a different I don't know why we, Americans, hate VF. Stupid Tekken took all the credit for nothing. Don't get me wrong but Tekken is a great game too. VF is the origin of the virtual 3D combat. VF4 fighting system is amazingly deep if you play for awhile. VF4 Evo? What can you ask for more? New mode, new characters, and best graphics on PS2... SC2 on the other hand will give a different experience, which cannot be compared with VF4. VF4 has no weapons!!! VF4 was the greatest fighting game on console for me since DOA2 & SC on Dreamcast... VF4 Evo? even better... Let's Hope SC2 is as good as this one... Expand
  19. BradB.
    Aug 15, 2003
    Everything that kicked ass in VF4, adding improved stages, the awesome Quest mode, two great new characters and graphical spit shine. How could you give it less than a 10?
  20. Uter
    Aug 24, 2003
    The Virtua Fighter series is a lot like today's sports franchises. With each version they don't really overhaul anything, they improve upon things. So really evolution is a fitting title. There have been so many Virtua Fighters (not just the 4-5 like the sequel # indicates), that now it's bordering on perfection. The graphics are among the best on the ps2. The depth is The Virtua Fighter series is a lot like today's sports franchises. With each version they don't really overhaul anything, they improve upon things. So really evolution is a fitting title. There have been so many Virtua Fighters (not just the 4-5 like the sequel # indicates), that now it's bordering on perfection. The graphics are among the best on the ps2. The depth is incredible. It's the only fighting game I know of that's just as fun 1 player as it is in multiplayer. Expand
  21. HectorR.
    Sep 21, 2003
    This game is fanstastic, this games shows some hard work because it's different from the "Street Fighter" Saga and the "Tekken"(which are all great games also) but because it's different in moves, stages, characters, etc. If you a fighting game fan you should get this game. this game is the law.
  22. ZachK.
    Apr 12, 2004
    Best $20 i ever spent
  23. Mar 30, 2014
    This game has the best, if not THE BEST Tutorial in the entire Fighting game genre for me. Also, had great depth during the fights, and in definitive, is not for button mashing.

#61 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2003

1. There's also the matter of the decidedly realistic approach taken here, which some may find a bit dry in comparison to other longstanding fighters, such as "Tekken Tag Tournament."
  2. This game has got an extremely deep Quest mode that will keep anyone occupied for months on end.
  3. GMR Magazine
    Not only the best 3D fighter of all time, it will make you a better fighting-game player. [Sept 2003, p.66]