Yakuza PlayStation 2

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Sep 5, 2006
8.3

1. May 27, 2012
    this game was okay, combat wasnt that great, and story was so melodramatic, really wanted to like this one too.
  2. Jan 4, 2015
    Among the best games I have ever played. Fantastic story, great characters. Lots of optional and interesting side stuff to do. Gameplay is good. The combat relies on martial arts and whatever you can grab lying around. Unfortunately the English voice overs leave a lot to be desired for. In another words they are horrible.
  3. Dec 21, 2010
    The camera is a bit wonky and the dub coupled with a westernized script is so full of F-bombs that the cool and collected yakuza sound more like foulmouthed, drunken suburban teens. Other than that, though, the game delivers an excellent story, memorable characters, and plenty of optional stuff to discover in a sandbox of Tokyo's seedier district.
  4. May 26, 2011
    this game does not have a name or the packaging like god of war or devil may cry that easily acttracts gamers and so it's often overlooked. And who can blame us,i mean who really cares about yakuzas (i know i don't) but after a friend recommended it to me i finally got the game and i was so glad i did. The story in this game can only be found in a great movie or a best seller novel forthis game does not have a name or the packaging like god of war or devil may cry that easily acttracts gamers and so it's often overlooked. And who can blame us,i mean who really cares about yakuzas (i know i don't) but after a friend recommended it to me i finally got the game and i was so glad i did. The story in this game can only be found in a great movie or a best seller novel for it's that damn good.it involves love,betrayer,honour and even tragedy.after taking the fall for his best friend,our hero gets out of prison only to find out his girlfriend is missing,betaryed by bestfriend and yakuza world in chaos.he must protect a mysterious little who would lead him to the truth. With awesome characters,great combat system,free roaming gameplay and great looking cut scenes i must say yakuza is a master piece. A game for only hardcore gamers,casual gamers be warned Expand
  5. Apr 11, 2013
    this game is freaking awesome its a spiritual successor to Shenmue and man did it surpass shenmue already amazing story and a unique gameplay for an open world game like this was just genius if sega ever plans to make Shenmue 3 then they should leave it in the hands of the people who made Yakuza 1-5
  6. Oct 6, 2015
    The start of a good series, the cut scenes were good as were the characters. I think I had the most fun playing this in any of the other games in the series.
  7. Jul 4, 2016
    the beginning of the legend
    the story is so touching
    everything in this game is perfect
    i played this game on ps3 , ps2 and ps4
    i beat this game for about 5 times
    this's where you should spend your money in !
  8. FawazB.
    Jan 10, 2007
    One of the coolest bash em up games I've played...but they should have added some more features to make it more like a true crime kind of game play. Would have been better.
  9. Mithyus
    Apr 1, 2007
    Kazuma and his story are entangling and amazing from start to end, and while the gameplay plays as a lesser element, it still does a pretty decent job.
  10. GioD
    Apr 10, 2008
    Damn...talk about a TRUE underrated gem. Yakuza,from top to bottom, is just a fantastic game. The story is (in my opinion) 1 of the best ever in the history of videogames. Its LIITTERALY a phenominal crime/mafia novel in videogame form and its 1 (of the many) strongest things about the game. Main character Kazuma is a true badass who has a huge amount of honor and is insanely likeableDamn...talk about a TRUE underrated gem. Yakuza,from top to bottom, is just a fantastic game. The story is (in my opinion) 1 of the best ever in the history of videogames. Its LIITTERALY a phenominal crime/mafia novel in videogame form and its 1 (of the many) strongest things about the game. Main character Kazuma is a true badass who has a huge amount of honor and is insanely likeable because of it. He's just a great character all around. The city that you explore is so alive that it just completely took me by surprise. It really feels like a living, breathing place that exists. And theres TONS to do in it. Bored? Go to a strip club. Feeling down? Go to bars and get drunk. Need some "action"? Meet up with escorts and have a good time. Feel like spending some dough? Go to the gambling casino's and let the good times roll. The variety in the game is delieverd in spades. Yakuza also has a very solid and easy to learn fighting system. Every punch, kick, throw, etc is meet with satisfying bone crushing impact. The more you fight, the more expirence you gain, the more moves you learn. Voice acting is great all around, controls are very simple to learn, and the graphics are some of the very best on the PS2. The ONLY negative a can come up with is that it does have alot of loading. It just sucks that part 3 just got released in japan and we have yet to get part 2. Here's to hoping it may come state side. One of the very best games on PS2. Expand
  11. Devin
    Oct 9, 2006
    One of the best games I've played this year. If you like story driven games akin to RPG's but without all the micromanegment and the visceral fighting in action games Yakuza certainly delivers. Notwithstanding, the fighting gameplay and envirtonment are pretty basic, but their good enough to drive the game. The story is what really shines. It one of the few games that you One of the best games I've played this year. If you like story driven games akin to RPG's but without all the micromanegment and the visceral fighting in action games Yakuza certainly delivers. Notwithstanding, the fighting gameplay and envirtonment are pretty basic, but their good enough to drive the game. The story is what really shines. It one of the few games that you actually build an emotional attachment to the characters. Expand
  12. SL
    Sep 13, 2006
    Story is fine, although it feels a bit like Gungrave, but not as good. Sound is fine as well, except for the annoying looping town talk which loops every 5 seconds. The voice acting is poor as always when it comes to american voice actors. I do like Michael Madsen's voice though. They should properly educate their people how to prounounce Japanese names right, especially when a game Story is fine, although it feels a bit like Gungrave, but not as good. Sound is fine as well, except for the annoying looping town talk which loops every 5 seconds. The voice acting is poor as always when it comes to american voice actors. I do like Michael Madsen's voice though. They should properly educate their people how to prounounce Japanese names right, especially when a game like this is supposed to be Japan. Gameplay is horrible. I hate the camera switching and the way you manage to run with your character in the direct opposite direction of where you want to go, as soon as the camera switches. Fighting system is worthless as well. You have a 'On Target' kind of thing when you press R1, but it all comes down to: as soon as your opponent dodge your attacks, your character will be targeting nothing but air and have your back turned to your enemy. Camera angles during fights can be messy as well as you can't really control it, except to turn it "straight forward" of where your character are looking. But as soon as you walk forward a bit and come close to a wall, it will automatically go little by little to a side view and voila, there's no chance to see what's coming. You get to fight several mobs at a time too and it's when these sequences kick in that you'll notice how horrible it can be with the targeting system. You get ganged up and can't do jack about it except for taking a beat, back out and try again. The 'exp system' is fairly ok and they made the streets of Japan look really nice with all neon signs and people walking around. Unfortunately, people may pop up in one section but dissappear right when you enter the next. Loading times can be annoying during the switch between walking around in town and getting yourself into a fight. Overall, it is an OK game. Nothing out of the extraordinary but it has it's charm with a few nice characters and story. Expand
  13. MaxT.
    Sep 29, 2006
    Best game I've played in along time, fraction to easy.
  14. MachinelliO.
    Sep 7, 2006
    I love this game! Good.
  15. GemmaB.
    Sep 8, 2006
    An excellent game all around. good story cool guy and a cute little girl to pull on your heart strings but enough butt kicking action to keep you on your toes. Very enjoyable.
  16. AndrewL.
    Sep 14, 2007
    This game has so much potential that was not utilized. The story and characters are great. There is entirely too much cursing and the beat downs you administer to others quickly get old. I like how when you get approched by a thug he says a curse word that can only be described as sounding like a chicken cluck. The game is plagued with bad camera angles that do not make the game This game has so much potential that was not utilized. The story and characters are great. There is entirely too much cursing and the beat downs you administer to others quickly get old. I like how when you get approched by a thug he says a curse word that can only be described as sounding like a chicken cluck. The game is plagued with bad camera angles that do not make the game unmanageble but do make it annoying. The weapons system is not unlike streets of rage in that you use a weapon so many times than it is disgarded, but I think the game could benefit from permanent weapons. Despite all the things I have said it is still a good game and is very enjoyable. It however just lacks the refinement required to make it a great game. Expand
  17. J*OMack
    Sep 16, 2006
    This game is an overall good game other than the bad storyline and the horrible voice overs. The game also gets very repetitive over and over when your walking down the streets and the game pauses and loads while your waiting to move on to the next part of the city, which takes way longer to get to places that anyone might have expected. The fighting can be difficult and repetitive.
  18. efebuluc
    Sep 16, 2006
    Too much talking and cinematics, makes you yawn and say...enough allready!, let me play. and when the game lets you have control, you realize that you dont have much control over things after all. 10 years ago this game could have been amazing, but how can somebody play this if they own a copy of hitman or splinter cell or something like that?...arent we past these kind of rigid, linear, Too much talking and cinematics, makes you yawn and say...enough allready!, let me play. and when the game lets you have control, you realize that you dont have much control over things after all. 10 years ago this game could have been amazing, but how can somebody play this if they own a copy of hitman or splinter cell or something like that?...arent we past these kind of rigid, linear, story heavy, you can throw a guy but cant throw him out the window kind of games??? im gona put my foot down and say, guess what sega...you dont have rag doll physics, you dont have havoc engine, dont have bullet holes and blood on walls...good bye and good luck! Expand
  19. Dec 12, 2015
    Incredible game with incredible story. Nowhere near to 10 point but because of the "professional review" I increase the overall. I looking forward to play the next installments.

#23 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2006
#21 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2006

I still enjoyed this game, for the character development and good storyline kept things interesting. I enjoyed the battles too, though they could have used some variety. It's almost too linear in its presentation, which makes it feel like 95 percent of the game falls under the "beat the hell out of thugs and go from point A to point B" scenario. [JPN Import]
  2. Unlike 99% of games, in Ryu Ga Gotoku you play as a guy who is pretty much the coolest, most badass, most likeable character in the world. He's the ultra strong guy with a heart of gold; the suave guy whom everyone wants to be friends with. So following Kazuma through his adventure tends to be extremely satisfying since he's such a great character. [JPN Import]
  3. Official Playstation 2 Magazine UK
    No threat to "GTA," but it's not meant to be. Instead it's an absorbing role-playing adventure with plenty to keep you busy. [Sept 2006, p.74]