5.3

1. Apr 23, 2012
    One of the best JRPGs on the PS3. Cutscenes are in the traditional way (text box and sometimes voice acting). It has a variety of endings that depends on your choices. Graphics are simple, but the illustrations are very well made in anime style. Battle system is cool and the characters are charismatic. I read some reviews saying that a negative point about this game is that it's pervert. Well, it is pervert, but what's the problem? There are a lot of games out there with intense violence, dirty language and bad manners. And they don't get lower grades by it, so what's the point? Pervert is a bad thing? Stop with false moralism. Anyway, why did I give a 4? Well, it has a serious problem that is being ignored by the publisher: constant freezing in the battles. You can enjoy the story, but when you get in the battle... that's when you start crying. It's impossible to fight without lags, low frame rate ou whatever you wanna call. The screen keeps freezing all the time and there's nothing you can do about, unless someday they release a patch fixing it. Otherwise... focus on the story and forget the fun of the battles. You can beat the game even with the freezing, but be aware that you will not be fully excited about it. Expand
  2. Jul 26, 2013
    Well, battle system isn't too interesting, game content is kinda odd in Japanese style, some might like it but this game is IMO just perverted and that's why not for all. I mean for example person makes such spell in which she turns someone to cake and her clothes vanish in that process that is kinda we are dealing with here, I can take it as joke tho kinda but seriously not cool... Luckily other of game isn't as stupid like that at least so there is some content that is not useless even if rather silly still all the time. Still no way I am finishing this game, it is not for me but I will give it some points still as it's by means not terrible and there is audience for this game for sure, even if I don't find terribly much to like here. Expand
  3. Sep 1, 2014
    I am The Destroyer. I will break games, complain about the littlest detail, and tell you whether or not the game is worth buying. There's a lot of things to be said, but can't due to the 5000 character limit.

Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel is one of the most unsuspecting games you will ever play. I say "unsuspecting" because of its flaws in logic, plotholes, bug crashes,
    missables, and one of the worst combat systems I've ever played, which we'll get to later. The unsuspecting part is you will want to see this game though. It's fantasy-like story will pull you in with it's amazing voice acting, and in-depth conversations which are mostly optional. But make no mistake, there is little-to-no hope in this title.

1. Story
    The games story isn't all too bad and does a good job at reeling you in. Even the logic of Reyvateil's stripping to get more power was well-done. It isn't until later in the game where plotholes begin to open up.
    And be careful when doing a New Game+ because by god, you press that circle button even one time, just a single push, it will fast-forward all cut-scenes from there on out until you can traverse the overworld or whatever the last dungeon or town you were in. You get to watch all text bubbles move around as if it were having a computer error, because that really makes more sense than actually skipping the scene..??

2. Voice Acting
    Most easily the best part about this game. When the scenes were actually voiced, which is like I don't know... 60% of the time(?) you are hearing angels humming. Each role played perfectly, and I can find no flaws in any of the english voice actors or actresses.

3. Graphics and Visuals
    The avatar pictures will be more fun to look than the actual character models. Lack of design in every area but towns.

4. Gameplay
    Gameplay refers to the battle system, item synthesis, cosmosphere, and various areas that you explore during gameplay. Put it all together and it's an epic fail!

-Battle System-
    So sickening! Release this type of battle system for even the original Playstation console and your Playstation would rebel against you and then punish you by spitting the disc out with scratches on it for making you load its awful combat frame rates. So many things are wrong in something that you will have to spend 50% of the game doing, and I can't speak of it all because this review isn't marked with spoilers. The combat system is so simplified that it's uncooked. Every special move your vanguards learn will feel exactly the same. Enemy variety is low, you will spend 30 hours fighting the same enemies the entire game, just with different names. Boss enemies are severely lacking. And the Supermoves for each vanguard is eternally flawed for what happens after.

-Item synthesis-
    Boring, basic, predictable.

-Exploration-
    Empty areas with no creativity other than few early levels. Repetitive beyond belief.

-Cosmosphere-
    This is all we have for gameplay, the only feature that makes the gameplay cut. Cosmosphere is a device that lets you dive into any of the heroines minds and explore a world that they themselves have created through their inner thoughts and feelings. Each time you dive in, you are presented with a sidestory where you yourself must complete in order to get closer to said heroine. This will cause the heroine to become even stronger in the real world, benefiting you greatly, and allowing you to end the travesties- I mean combat much quicker. In order to dive into deeper levels of a heroine's cosmosphere, you have to talk with them in the real world, which can be done by resting at an inn or save point. It feels like these stories were made by a horny highschool teenaged girl with a BDSM fetish. Probably not, but if you say one wrong thing in the Cosmosphere, you're gonna watch a special scene, and then get kicked out of the sphere. You will then have to spend more Leaf and DP to try again, which isn't much of a penalty.

5. Soundtrack
    I take it back. This is the best part about this game!!! Ar Tonelico Qoga comes with the type of soundtrack that makes you want to make a mix CD of, or finding the music files of it online to download onto your Ipad. Bringing its soothing tracks, outdoor adventures, indoor laboratories, and mood music for cut-scenes, each will play at impeccable timing. If anything makes you come back to this game it will be this.

6. Bugs Crashes
    The low-rez in this game is torture! My game has frozen twice when doing a purge. It froze once when trying to enter combat. And for some reason saving my game takes an extra minute.

7. Personal Enjoyment
    I didn't even want to do a New Game+ when it was all over! With story done, gameplay was left (oh no...) Forget DLC, I don't want to play any more.

8. Overall Verdict
    People give this 6 or 8, but from me you get a 4 out of 10. I feel embarrassed to recommend this to anyone other than hardcore fans. Only got points at all for its music, voice acting, and it's half-story.

1. Oct 26, 2011
    There's always more to learn of the characters in all sorts of ways, and underneath the goofiness, there was still a thick layer of strong narrative and character development that kept me invested through sixty hours. I don't know if JRPGs will ever return to their previous prominence, but if Ar Tonelico Qoga is any indication, they still have a lot to offer.
  2. May 9, 2011
    Ar Tonelico Qoga is the third and final installment in the saga. It does have what it takes to satisfy the fans, but it's not impressive enough to reach a bigger audience.
  3. Apr 27, 2011
    With all the technological bells and whistles driving this sequel, it ended up halting rather than evolving the series. Great animations set against clunky backgrounds, too much repetition in both the combat and music, and the lack of difficulty hold this JRPG back from being something truly special.