7.2

1. Mar 21, 2012
    Armored Core, coming from a person who used to play Chromehounds, another mech game, is different. But coming from From Software just like Chromehounds did i can definitely see the similarities that come from both series, and i can tell that this is just as good of a game. The only problem i seen was that there was a few glitches on day 1 but they have already been solved in the same day, and the online play is phenomenal, if you are used to a slower mech game like me you will have to take some time to practice and get used to this because if you don't you will be overwhelmed with the real players going wild with the dodging of shots. However, if you are just a single player gamer then i wouldn't recommend it just because its a mainly online game, but that never stopped these horrible titles like call of duty from getting good reviews. This game is really good if you are a mech game fan, and of course the review sites give it low scores because its not horrible like the FPS market is flooded with these day.s Expand
  2. Apr 5, 2012
    The Best Armored Core game so far. Those who love the mech action genre is gonna love this game. Front Mission Evolved should have been this game. If only Squeenix chose From Software instead of crappy Developers... Anyway, this game plays so much like the old school AC games, which is great. Gone are the flying dual rifles, missile spamming days of AC4/FA. Now, you need to think tactically to flank your adversaries. Great Team online play and customizations options. -- Veteran of AC games since AC: Project Phantasma. Expand
  3. Mar 30, 2012
    very enjoyable game i wish they made this a while ago looking forward to see how teams will work out. a little lacking on parts but still has a good selection.
  4. Mar 24, 2012
    It is not for everybody, but it is for me. Upgrades to mech based on weapon types, weapons quality, and your personal play style make it very addicting for anyone who made it past the seventh grade. I could see why a player would dismiss it as "Gay", or too complicated, it takes a bit of grey matter to enjoy. AC V does not deserve the 66. (attn:MechaVerse ;)
  5. Mar 25, 2012
    As a fan of the series since it was one the PSone, I'm delighted that it has stepped back from the speed (while awesome) of 4 and For Answer, and returned to the more tactical feel of those earlier titles. This, combined with the online team-oriented emphasis of Chromehounds, makes for a very fulfilling new addition to the series. Newcomers to the series may want to get used to the feel of gameplay and practice which AC builds are most effective in which situations. Some of the single-player missions can seem a little daunting, but all are do-able by yourself with the right build. The customization is as fun as any in the series! Tons of parts, and a million ways to combine them effectively. The co-op is especially fun with a full team, and the operator role can be decisive when taking or defending territory. Offline-only play would likely be a bit weaker without the teamwork and opportunity to test your machine against other players, but conversely playing as part of a smoothly functioning team is a joy.
    All in all, this is a solid game that requires you to do a bit of thinking when playing, and is definitely a worthy addition to the series!
  6. Mar 24, 2012
    There is lots of things that man dreams about. One of them, is machine called ROBOT. By seeing a lot of other robots in movies or games, I am very positive that one of you who are reading this have dreamed about controlling a robot with your hands, and this dream can be fulfilled by playing games.

If I have to pick a game that have provided us a robots with a great detail, I would pick
    Armored Core series from From Software. The Armored Core 1 was a game had such a hard control that normal users could not play the game (which contributed to make Armored Core maniacs who loves hard games). But after the continuous development and research, I has became more easier to control for beginners - of course, it is still hard for some people.

But the biggest charm point of Armored Core is not the control. It is that you can make your own mechanics that fits your own style of the game!

Even in real life, if you see a good gamer play the game, it feels like he is actually controlling a robot from a movie! Evading hundreds of missiles coming towards his mechanic and even fight with four enemies at once like you would see in a animation you used to watch when you were a child.

Like you would experience in every types of games, there can be a period where you have to get used to the controls. In this case, the period is just longer than the other easy-control games such as Skyrim or Mass effect. But if you break the chain and get over the period, you will see yourself flying over enemy opponents shooting down at their heads.
  7. Mar 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Right off the bat, I'll mention that this is my first review on metacritic. Armored Core V is probably the biggest impulse buy I've made in quite some time, having played various mech games throughout my gaming career, I'd honestly given up hope. Went to go pick up Silent Hill HD but being such a huge fan of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, once I pieced together FromSoftware made AC5, I was on autopilot. I really don't remember what I was expecting, all I know is that the purchase was completely biased, and that I was 99% green to the AC series coming in, but what took place melted my brain stem. Seriously, the extent they went to in order to really deliver that "mech experience" is there and then some. They stress the necessity for developing a team, and by the time you read this it's already pretty tough to attempt starting your own, so anyone who isn't willing to fold on the idea of running the show will be missing out on a good portion of the game. The game is persistent online, so you're given the option to "hire" a mercenary to help you complete any of the 9 story missions or 80 "order missions" (of which apparently take place after the story missions). Single player is generally pretty tough if you're attempting it alone. The map is seperated into territories, in which the many missions unfold, but they play an integral part of the multiplayer. The team you form or join fights for control of these territories, through various missions but upon acquiring a territory, that team is tasked with retaining control of it. I've never played Chromehounds, which some people are comparing this to, but I can honestly say that I meant this to have no spoilers, but there's no real way to talk about it without ruining some of it. There's been a few times where I'm just blown away that there's actually more. I didn't even get into the customisation, which I sure AC fans expect, but this time around they've seperated damage into three different types (Kinetic Energy, Thermal Energy, and Chemical Energy), so there's TONS of customisation options for both weapons and the core itself. If I continued, I could really sell it to those people who are reading this wanting to know EVERY little aspect in order to make their decision to purchase, but in doing so I ruin the remaining 70% of the game I haven't talked about. There's still the 5v5 battles (I managed to play my first 4v4 earlier) and Free Battle. Overall, the game is filled with content, I can't imagine what would possess someone to give this game a low score based on A.I. or the fact that they didn't get it in the first 30 seconds. I didn't get it for the first 8 hours, the story is literally nuts, and sometimes I still have matches where I leave it in Scan Mode and keep hitting the fire button wondering what's wrong, but I'll get it fully in the end, lol. I give it a 9 because it is filled to the brim with content, the the customization (alone should give it a 10) is terrific (check the stats for something, the REAL stats. Yeah, wtf, right? Mathematical wizards, they are), and the multiplayer is crazy (actually get in a 4v4, it's insane.) Expand
  8. Apr 16, 2012
    Good game, but hard for beginners. But it shouldn't be too hard since if you join with some team, other team member will also help you. This game will force you to go online each time you play, but you still can play it offline but it won't be twice the fun by playing with your friend. The control are quite enjoyable now since the movement is not booster oriented. Even though the maneuver is a little bit hard but if you know the trick it won't be really hard. The shop menu is overflowing with information, that might confuse new comer. We also can sell our own parts to other player. The multiplayer co-op and match is fun. Regardless the graphic, this game is fun to play with friends. Expand
  9. Jul 17, 2012
    The controls and they way the mechs handles has received quite a few changes since previous games, but this is still very much Armored Core. Huge levels of customisation to suit your style of play, and many different tactics to consider. The story as always is rather weak unfortunately from what I've seen so far. But the online play is incredible fun and if you know people with the game then this will be superb to play. So many ways to play online, it's a dream to all Veteran Armored Core fans. Spend hours making the perfect mech then see how you fair against others, or team up and show your combined might. I've detected very little lag so far, nothing that appears to have affected gameplay. Excellent game, requires a lot of thinking and practice to get the most out of it. Expand
  10. Apr 24, 2012
    Armored Core 5 - This is primarly geared towards the veteran AC pilots - if you have never played AC and loved it this game will be very very hard to break into at first. If you're looking for a plot or a story campagin - this isnt the game for you. This game is specific and does a good job at creating a team vs. team ac vs. ac enviroment. Basically this is what every AC pilot has been asking for. However, the actual method in which you organize battles and attack territories needs work - there are tons of ideas and patches still be downloaded onto the US servers but i have faith Bandai will get this done. If not, they will lose almost all the players... The fram rate is good for experienced players and new players - right in the middle
    There is almost no lag in giant 5v5 matches
    The graphics arent that of FinalFantasy or Granturismo but still really good for a online mech game
    The number of parts - decent to start off - i hope for more parts as the game continues
    Story Mode - lacking content - but missions are fun and longer then before and be played with another team mate or friend
    Order Missions - fun but short - add more tougher missions! Mercenary - This feature allows you to be hired by other teams or players for online battle - great for when your online during odd hours and your team isnt on. FreeBattle - Great for practice, team vs. team and just outright total destruction - battle royal needs some patches... and some ACs camp...maybe smaller maps? limit the area?

Conquest - this is why i gave this a 9...the concept is great but the system needs work. Waiting for a stronghold can be painful or figuring out when someone is strongholding is tough... Maybe a system that notifys you or little flag "Team pending stronghold - please attack" so the rest of ACV universe knows "hey lets try and take over huge canyon" etc...

For now - I have been using my Networking skills and PSN to organize battles - it has worked 100% of the time. Thanks!
  11. Oct 15, 2012
    For people who knows this saga, can expect a good game, but now with more missions and more surprises in them. The multiplayer is very immersive and very rewarding if you play with friends. Downsides could be the animations and the graphics. The combat system can be very annoying but when you get it its awesome. Its very different from AC4 and take a combat type more like the firs AC.

1. May 16, 2012
    Fans will love V's hardcore complexities and online battles. It's all poorly presented, and impenetrable for newcomers. [June 2012, p.109]
  2. May 14, 2012
    Despite failing to reach its spectacular potential due to the region issues, there's still a great giant robot sim to be enjoyed. [June 2012, p.65]
  3. May 11, 2012
    Armored Core V depicts fast-paced mech-warfare, where mech-building skills and tactical manoeuvres are as important as quick reflexes. [May 2012]