6.9

1. Nov 9, 2012
    This game has amazing atmosphere and is the best one in the series in my opinion. The problem with this game for me is that the story is very boring for the first half of the game and I tried to stick it out, but the game is just ridiculously long.
  2. Jan 21, 2013
    Much like The Dark Knight Rises film, I really wanted to love this game, it had the hype, the marketing and the media frenzy surrounding it to be epic on every scale. I would consider myself a hardcore AC fan, after the disappointing Revelations, I was still optimistic that Ubisoft would pull back with a superior and brilliant title to the other four entries in the franchise,Much like The Dark Knight Rises film, I really wanted to love this game, it had the hype, the marketing and the media frenzy surrounding it to be epic on every scale. I would consider myself a hardcore AC fan, after the disappointing Revelations, I was still optimistic that Ubisoft would pull back with a superior and brilliant title to the other four entries in the franchise, brilliant?Yes, superior? No, not quite.
    There was concern way back early last year when Ubisoft announced AC III, a brand new era, location, protagonist, and much larger in size to the rest, many had grown to Ezio, Italy, and the vibrant Italian cites during the Renaissance. But I for one was excited by the prospect of the Frontier, sprawling countryside, snow, trees, the lot.
    Without giving away too much, our new protagonist, Native American/British Conor Kenway, doesn't fully 'suit up' until the fifth sequence in the game.
    The story, while attempting to place our new Assassin into the historical events which led to the Revolution of the United States, feels rushed and sometimes empty compared to AC II, the characters are forgetful and bland, and I think Ubisoft may have tried just too hard to place Conor at the centre of EVERYTHING.
    Without delving too much into Desmond's story, some may have seen his finale as quite useless, but I for one am glad that closure was finally brought to his chapter, leaving room for a new idea.
    This game did simply just feel incomplete.
    But the reason it still has a high score is because it still has an excellent backstory, the combat is simplfied again but equally as excellent, the vast array of miscellaneous tasks here are brilliant, whether you're going to loot a convoy, build a homestead, or just plain old assassinations, there is plenty to do here in New York, Boston and the Frontier. Connor feels very assassin like, he's hell bent on revenge and has no problem being alone throughout his story.
    The graphics are good, but not great, the game just couldn't capture the beauty of Red Dead Redemptions sprawling countryside. I found the frontier particularly annoying, the distant hills looked extremely cartoon-like, the game was also, at several times, glitchy to the point of many items not appearing and sound being out of synch with the person speaking during cutscenses. It also still bothers me that there is still loading times between cities/countryside, get used to seeing Conor in a bright white loading screen, you're going to see plenty of it.
    It was obviously great to see another instalment this past year, but the changes simply aren't enough to justify an annual title, the improvements are there but more needs to be done to break the mould and to put up with AC II as being a breakthrough game of the generation.
  3. Nov 24, 2012
    Could have been better but this game just never would have been able to live up to the hype that was surrounding it. I personally do not think that Conner was as good as a character as Ezio was and the guy who played Conner sounded so robotic throughout the entire game. The story was pretty good but the ending was very melancholy and not what I was expecting. But, if you've been playingCould have been better but this game just never would have been able to live up to the hype that was surrounding it. I personally do not think that Conner was as good as a character as Ezio was and the guy who played Conner sounded so robotic throughout the entire game. The story was pretty good but the ending was very melancholy and not what I was expecting. But, if you've been playing the AC games like have up to this point, then your already going to give AC 3 a shot. Just temper your expectations going into this one. Expand
  4. Jan 28, 2013
    Like Resident Evil 6, this game has just too many issues. Too many brick walls. Right when you're getting into it you're hit with some section which has you questioning if you even want to go on. Note: having to take out every bad guy on a boat using the exact method the developer demands, requiring endless trial and error and reloading ten times is not fun. It's a relic of the worst oldLike Resident Evil 6, this game has just too many issues. Too many brick walls. Right when you're getting into it you're hit with some section which has you questioning if you even want to go on. Note: having to take out every bad guy on a boat using the exact method the developer demands, requiring endless trial and error and reloading ten times is not fun. It's a relic of the worst old stealth games. The stealth in general is just terrible and pointless. Bad guys everywhere and you always just end up in a fight anyways so you just stop trying stealth at all. Incredible world and many amazing sections make the game good overall, but forget about the polish, just as the developers did. Expand
  5. Apr 12, 2013
    with all the hype for this game, 10 minutes in, you realize it's the same game as 1 and 2. Nothing to see here people climb buildings and jumping off was fun the first time I did it in assasins creed, not much anymore. I would recommend buy if you've never played Ac, but i've played ac 1 and 2; but never got the drive to finish after an hour or so of the same old same old.
  6. Nov 20, 2013
    Que decir de unas de las decepciones mas grandes de mi vida, lo anunciaron por todos sitios, publicidad y mas publicidad, para indicar lo que seria el mejor juego de la saga, hoy puedo decir que es de largo peor que el Assassins Creed 2, con eso es suficiente como para saber que Ubisoft se ha cargado una saga, es mas de lo mismo pero peor, repetitivo, sin sentido y absurdo, solo le salvaQue decir de unas de las decepciones mas grandes de mi vida, lo anunciaron por todos sitios, publicidad y mas publicidad, para indicar lo que seria el mejor juego de la saga, hoy puedo decir que es de largo peor que el Assassins Creed 2, con eso es suficiente como para saber que Ubisoft se ha cargado una saga, es mas de lo mismo pero peor, repetitivo, sin sentido y absurdo, solo le salva los graficos y el doblaje, por lo demás, es un juego mas. No lo recomiendo, me gaste 100 euros en la edicion especial y la he vendido, si, ¿porque? Porque es una verguenza como me han engañado, me he sentido estafado, ultrajado, jamás volvere a comprar un Assassins. Expand
  7. Apr 30, 2015
    A great continuation of the Assassin's Creed series because of the strong visuals, gameplay and story. Though it must be said that the story gets somewhat boring towards the end, which leaves a sour taste.
  8. Jan 26, 2013
    Since Assassin's Creed 3 is the most ambitious AC, It is a disappointing title. However, It has some great additions, thankfully. Parkour is improved, allowing you to climb trees and, obviously, you can still climb building. The combat, love it or hate it, is fast and fun. It is changed, but It's still great. Playing stealthy It's faster here. Hunting is a good addition, too. The navalSince Assassin's Creed 3 is the most ambitious AC, It is a disappointing title. However, It has some great additions, thankfully. Parkour is improved, allowing you to climb trees and, obviously, you can still climb building. The combat, love it or hate it, is fast and fun. It is changed, but It's still great. Playing stealthy It's faster here. Hunting is a good addition, too. The naval battles are fantastic in this game. But what Assassin's Creed 3 succeeds for, is the non-linear gameplay. Exploring is highly entertaining. The multiplayer is fun, with some unique modes. However, what's the problem that I gave it a 7. While the story is good, the main character, Connor, is dull. He is humorless and speakless, and he isn't that well-acted. The voice acting, is fine, but sometimes there's dialogue confusions. The Desmond's ending is downright terrible. The biggest problem are the f**king glitches and bugs! This game has a tons of them, which'll happen frequently. Assassin's Creed 3, is a disappointing title. Expand
  9. Dec 15, 2012
    I liked brotherhood and number one, but jeese this is ridiculous. Its technically horrible and honestly probably the least interesting. I am finding everything frustrating, multiplayer is good though and probably the best part of this one in opposition to brotherhood. A horrible thing is the missions baby step you until a certain point then pull of the training wheels so quickly you haveI liked brotherhood and number one, but jeese this is ridiculous. Its technically horrible and honestly probably the least interesting. I am finding everything frustrating, multiplayer is good though and probably the best part of this one in opposition to brotherhood. A horrible thing is the missions baby step you until a certain point then pull of the training wheels so quickly you have no idea what you are doing. Mechanics with this series have been a terrible problem but in this game they are to heavy to ignore. Expand
  10. Feb 26, 2013
    I believe Ubisoft did good with this one. New big world and new set of quests better controls.
    I just hated the bugs (too many bugs) even after patches.
    Comparing AC3 with Revelation I found that Revelation was better in story and graphics. While AC3 is better in controls variety of quests. Still AC Revelation beats AC3 for me. I'm an Ezio fan, so having a new assassin to master should
    I just hated the bugs (too many bugs) even after patches.
    I'm an Ezio fan, so having a new assassin to master should really convince me to like him/her. Conner was good but couldn't replace Ezio.
    Over all, it is recommended to play, but I don't think this one could make you an AC fan
  11. Jun 17, 2014
    This is often considered the Worst of the series by many, though mostly because the other games are so great.
    Personally I disagree, I found Revelations a far weaker game than AC3.
    Personally I disagree, I found Revelations a far weaker game than AC3.

First and foremost this game is a Red Dead Redemption clone, and a decent one at that. The atmosphere is pretty similar, and with the mix of cities it feels similar enough to an Assassins Creed game to fit in.
    However this game is as loosely an Assassin's Creed game as you can get. There's no Creed, you're barely an Assassin, everything you remember from the previous games has been changed. From the controls to the Atmosphere. From the scenery, to the feel of the characters.
    At first I was unhappy about the control scheme, but it wasn't until I read a random unimportant email from the Animus that it was explained that as this is an upgraded Animus, things have been "fixed". After hours of play, the controls are pretty much an easier configuration to accomplish what you were able to before. My biggest issue with AC1 was the messy way in which the High Profile and Low Profile controls were explained, while every other Assassins Creed game beautifully eased players into the control methodology.
    The Red Dead Redemption-like atmosphere sucked me in, it was a game I liked a lot, and I found the AC3 story more engaging than the RDR 'story' (more like sparse dialog exchanges).
    The scenery was nice, however there are far too many animation and texture glitches in this game. I mean there's a lot. At one point I even saw a horse-drawn carriage flip upside down- get slowly sucked into the ground in a hellish and horrifying jerking motion, before the horses screamed and the whole thing descended beneath the ground. If that wasn't frightening enough, it suddenly reappeared and zoomed through a building, where I chased it only to fall infinitely through the ground.
    Glitches I experienced range from character arms disappearing and bodies flickering - like all the time (not just animus effects) to in-game cut scenes where giant grass-land textures collapsed in a domino fashion as the main character walked off camera (that one was right at the end of the homestead missions and spoiled any emotional draw the mission created).

Honestly, I found the characters to be very one-dimensional, and while I didn't dislike the main characters, found that I cared little about their arch's (if you can say they had any), nor felt like I knew their personalities very well.

The crafting system is poor, and while I hated Revelations' Bomb crafting system. At least it felt as if it served function (despite me only ever feeling like I needed to use the bombs in one mission which I was forced to use them), the crafting system in AC3 can be completely ignored, and is really poorly explained in the game, with a terrible interface.
    Function of currency is mostly unnecessary in this game, as opposed to others, and makes the game feel slightly more like the original. I found that after accumulating £10,000s I realised I never had to spend a penny until I wanted to complete the ship missions.
    Chase missions are more quick-time event than before, and the large-scale tomb raider type puzzle missions are gone.
    All Assassin Recruit/Assasination Contract stuff from the last couple of games is less centralised and less worthwhile. All guard distraction features (such as prostitutes and vigilantes have been replaced by 'rioters', however I never found a use for these as there's no one that you need to distract. Your presence will constantly go high, and bribing heralds and such will only buy you a short while before something causes another mass chase, and like the last few games, hiding spots are mostly useless once you're detected, so you just have to start killing or running.
    The ship missions are another mini game that they've tried to introduce, akin to the Assassins Defence sub-game missions, but while these are unique enough to be interesting, they're vastly underdeveloped, with most missions being completable in a couple of minutes. All the ship missions are very easy, right until you get to having to battle "man-of-war" frigates which were my only reason to ever spend money in the game, just to upgrade the weaponry of the ship.

The history/landmark element of Assassins' Creed is pretty reduced in number 3, so aside from the main story, sense of history feels greatly diminished.

All the Glyph/Custer puzzles and secrets from the earlier games is now gone for good, and while I enjoyed exploring the world in AC3, all sense of challenge was missing.

The overall plot is continued quite a bit in this game, and any time spent outside the Animus is rewarded with revelations of the over-arching story. Although as before - there's no reason to exit the Animus voluntarily, so don't waste your time.

So in conclusion, I liked AC3. I even recommend it. I just wish it felt more like an Assassin's Creed game... and had less cheap-feeling glitches.
  12. Dec 21, 2013
    ACIII is a desperate try on Ubisoft's side; a try to be new, refreshing and innovative, a try to be patriotic, heroic and meaningful. I'm not sure what the original story was, but there are so many bugs and issues (honestly, it is so far the most problematic title I have ever laid my hands on) that you can't even get to the core of it. An almost complete abandonment of the legacy of theACIII is a desperate try on Ubisoft's side; a try to be new, refreshing and innovative, a try to be patriotic, heroic and meaningful. I'm not sure what the original story was, but there are so many bugs and issues (honestly, it is so far the most problematic title I have ever laid my hands on) that you can't even get to the core of it. An almost complete abandonment of the legacy of the previous titles, ACIII is surely to make more enemies than friends. Connor has some big shoes to fill after Ezio, and fails miserably, looking more like a spoiled brat than a hero you could identify yourself with. There is a somewhat good game buried in there, but because it's trying too hard to be too many things, and fails as far as simple mechanics is concerned, you have to force yourself to find it enjoyable. Expand
  13. Jan 13, 2015
    Never managing to live up to the initial plot twist, AC 3 sees you (mainly) take the role of Connor during the American revolution. All the familiar ingredients are present yet somehow seem disjointed and more of a chore than ever. Connor is a far cry from the charismatic Ezio and the locations not as glorious as Rome or Venice. You've also got the continuation of Desmond's story out ofNever managing to live up to the initial plot twist, AC 3 sees you (mainly) take the role of Connor during the American revolution. All the familiar ingredients are present yet somehow seem disjointed and more of a chore than ever. Connor is a far cry from the charismatic Ezio and the locations not as glorious as Rome or Venice. You've also got the continuation of Desmond's story out of the animus with a truly terrible ending to the game. Expand
  14. Nov 24, 2012
    This game is just overly long, and too boring to finish. I will be honest and say that I didn't finish the game. I beat all of the previous titles except the first one(sleep inducing). As much as Revelations really irked my soul, I had enough faith in ubisoft to redeem it, and make this franchise go out with a bang ... but they instead went out on a wimper. After 15 hours I just couldn'tThis game is just overly long, and too boring to finish. I will be honest and say that I didn't finish the game. I beat all of the previous titles except the first one(sleep inducing). As much as Revelations really irked my soul, I had enough faith in ubisoft to redeem it, and make this franchise go out with a bang ... but they instead went out on a wimper. After 15 hours I just couldn't do it anymore. First off Conner, while being the most skilled Assassin out of Ezio and Altair, has the personality that is about as interesting as a brick. The story was not engaging what so ever, and after youtubing the ending, I can say that im glad I shipped it back early. Seriously what is with this year and endings? At least Mass Effect 3 was entertaining up until it's pathetic ending. But playing a game with a boring story, boring character, repetitive game play,and a weak ending just adds up to an epic fail. The only positive that I can give is that the game is stunning. But beautiful graphics is not a game make. Sorry Ubisoft but I no longer want to know what happens next, I am no longer intrigued, because the Assassin's Creed franchise is no longer intriguing. Expand
  15. Oct 13, 2014
    Not a bad game, but is a disappointment once more with a weak and pungent story-line. Game-play has improved since Revelations, and the graphics are very appealing, however this game was hyped beyond it's borders.
    6/10 - Ben Hazelden
  16. Nov 9, 2012
    To me it seems as the Assassin's Creed serie has lost their charm. The serie has been going downhill ever since Revelations. Assassin's Creed III does not offer much new, the story is not as touching as the other AC games before it. It lacks drama. You don't get attached to the assassin Connor as you do with Altair and Ezio. The gameplay needs to be polished I have experienced a couple ofTo me it seems as the Assassin's Creed serie has lost their charm. The serie has been going downhill ever since Revelations. Assassin's Creed III does not offer much new, the story is not as touching as the other AC games before it. It lacks drama. You don't get attached to the assassin Connor as you do with Altair and Ezio. The gameplay needs to be polished I have experienced a couple of bugs during fighting and climbing. Expand
  17. Mar 22, 2015
    The third title in the mostly critically-acclaimed Assassin’s Creed series is at best a decent experience. The game gets off to a good start with its wonderfully paced first few sequences but then drags a bit before finally setting you off as an Assassin pretty late into the game. The gameplay may be nice (particularly the stealth) but bad character detailing and overused cuss words don’tThe third title in the mostly critically-acclaimed Assassin’s Creed series is at best a decent experience. The game gets off to a good start with its wonderfully paced first few sequences but then drags a bit before finally setting you off as an Assassin pretty late into the game. The gameplay may be nice (particularly the stealth) but bad character detailing and overused cuss words don’t make this one of my favorites. Expand
  18. Nov 18, 2014
    AC3 is the last chance the franchise had to reach the quality of Brotherhood once again , and it failed. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but it should have been released like a year later than it was: it's absolutely RIDDLED with glitches, crashes (my PS3 hang completely three or four times during critical tasks/missions), freezes and control issues. In fact they could probably haveAC3 is the last chance the franchise had to reach the quality of Brotherhood once again , and it failed. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but it should have been released like a year later than it was: it's absolutely RIDDLED with glitches, crashes (my PS3 hang completely three or four times during critical tasks/missions), freezes and control issues. In fact they could probably have skipped AC Revelations to work on the bugs in this one and wrap the series up with a great title, but no. Add to these the unsatisfactory ending (if you would call it an ending)...

When I say glitches, it's either the kind of things that pull you out of the experience (like NPCs disappearing during missions, entire battles being skipped because the assassination target fell on the water (5 years and NPCs still can't swim), characters speaking in cutscenes without their mouths moving or vice versa, repetitive sounds/banter etc) or the kind of things that make you want to throw the controller at the screen (for example in one naval mission it wouldn't let me use the swivels or "brace" to avoid damage. I restarted it twice and it worked). One of the latter is the weird control issues you'll encounter when you try to walk in a straight line when there are crates to the sides: Connor would rather jump from crate to crate than just run a straight line. It'll take you a while to figure out that things are much easier if you don't press the X button (something that should have been emphasized since it contradicts with the previous games).

But it's hard to stay mad at AC3. Cause aside from the story missions there's a ton of things to do and see in New York and Boston (or even the countryside). There's a shipload of side missions , naval missions, assassination contracts, help out poor people and tons of other stuff. Ubisoft did a great job here and did not repeat the mistake it made in Reveleations.

As far as the plot is concerned, on the one hand AC3 has an captivating story to tell, on the other hand the main Desmond/Abstergo/End-of-the-world storyline has no satisfactory ending. Then again, it was a mess since the beginning, so perhaps that's no surprise. Oh, and I should mention that, if you're the type that never reads/watches walkthroughs on principle then you're screwed, because solving the three "power source" puzzles (you have to if you're gonna watch the final cutscenes) will probably take you a year. Another poor choice on Ubisoft's part.

On to the graphics, my mind is blown. These are the best graphics I've ever seen in a PS3 game to date. The framerate is actually better than Revelation's. Threre are occasional freeze-ups but it only happened 6 or 7 times during gameplay.

Overall good game, definitely worth a buy now but you won't be thrilled. It could have been better. Unfortunately I couldn't play the DLC, because the disc was imported in Asia and apparently I'd have to live there to play it. Bummer.
  19. Mar 29, 2013
    I never really felt as emerged in this game as i did with AC2,ACB and ACR since the story is dull and way too draged out to be any fun.
    All the characters in AC3 is alot more boring and forgettable than the ones from AC2 which makes the story even worse as it beacomes more of a chore than anything else.
  20. May 11, 2013
    I would have originally given this game a 7/10 after having completed the main campaign....but I chose to stick around and see all that this thing has to offer. It has ALOT of story content to offer you. And there is alot to do if you want that platinum trophy. The fact that the ps3 version has exclusive missions....I didn't even know what they were ...it didnt matter.. I finished theI would have originally given this game a 7/10 after having completed the main campaign....but I chose to stick around and see all that this thing has to offer. It has ALOT of story content to offer you. And there is alot to do if you want that platinum trophy. The fact that the ps3 version has exclusive missions....I didn't even know what they were ...it didnt matter.. I finished the campaign thinking I would be able to have a fun time earning that platinum.....there was only misery. Exploring tunnels with glitchy puzzles....having to play mini-games that the ai makes perfect moves on. Having the "PLAY KING WASHINGTON BLAH LBHA BLAH" on the main menu and then having clicked on it only to discover I i would have to pay for it......disappointing. The online component.... disappointing. I can't see anyone spending money on such a thing. Getting full sync on some of the missions boils down to pure LUCK. I am not joking when I say that. I won't even grade the campaign story since this is my first entry in the series...but even I could see the obviously holes....I feel sorry for the fans. Ship combat was one of the redeeming features of this game....it was very well done and ALOT of fun. The other thing though to mention is the combat system in ac3. You willl read alot of reviews saying that it has been perfected. Honestly.....maybe it has......But it doesn't matter! The combat itself is so easy in this game...there is no challenge whatsoever....it's just mashing two buttons to auto kill every enemy over and over again. Perfected? maybe.....but it sure isn't fun to be able to take down a million redcoats without breaking a sweat. You take down entire forts yourself in minutes....waltzing through the front door. There is no incentive to use stealth in this game. The times it has you use stealth are the most frustrating things ever....you can easily kill Everything in the game...yet they force you to sneak around and .....it was a giant headache. Alot fo content here for your money......but so much is lacking here. The core of the game is just not fun. Playing for the platinum will only end in frustration. Playing for the story will end....probably badly for many fans. It's kind of weird how I could rate it as a 7/10 and then do the extra side missions and end up with a 6/10....it's a slap in the face. There's no challenge here. There's so much wasted potential. If only they made the combat a little challenging....but they put restrictions on everything in the game and it ruins what potential there is for fun. Expand
  21. Mar 29, 2013
    The sad truth is that one of the most hyped games of 2012 just wasn't very good by any stretch of the imagination. Assassin's Creed III is by the far the worst entry in the series to date and its greatest achievement include making the American Revolution boring, creating a boring protagonist, having one of the worst endings of 2012, and owning some hilarious bugs. I guess I will say theThe sad truth is that one of the most hyped games of 2012 just wasn't very good by any stretch of the imagination. Assassin's Creed III is by the far the worst entry in the series to date and its greatest achievement include making the American Revolution boring, creating a boring protagonist, having one of the worst endings of 2012, and owning some hilarious bugs. I guess I will say the positive things first. Maybe I should say thing. The graphics are really great and the game actually looks beautiful. At least when you aren't slipping into holes in the geometry or clipping through walls that is. You play as Connor, or his true name Noonecares. I didn't much care for Ezio, but Connor has got to be one of the dullest personalities I have found in recent games. Despite having more character development than Ezio, he still falls short when compared to Ezio. The rest of the story somehow manages to be boring too. Many of the exciting moments take place in cutscenes and then you just walk from one cutscene to another. Sounds fun? You're right it doesn't. There's also a 6 hour tutorial. Yep! You don't even play as Connor then either! I know right?! Look just wait for this to drop to 20 dollars. If you must play you may find some enjoyment, but don't expect a godsend. A fantastic game this is not. Expand
  22. Oct 30, 2012
    Another year and another Assassins's Creed game which basically plays itself. Yes, making a game to hard and challenging can frustrate people, yet making it too easy will bore them. Good game design means finding a balance between those 2 extremes. And it's might be just me, yet I take a little frustration over boredom any day in a game. Because managing something that was difficult leavesAnother year and another Assassins's Creed game which basically plays itself. Yes, making a game to hard and challenging can frustrate people, yet making it too easy will bore them. Good game design means finding a balance between those 2 extremes. And it's might be just me, yet I take a little frustration over boredom any day in a game. Because managing something that was difficult leaves you with a feeling of accomplishment, finishing something that was boringly easy one the other hand just leaves you bored. And a game isn't supposed to bore you, causing boredom is pretty much the opposite of what a game should do.

Or maybe you are one of those people who enjoy to cheat in multiplayer games, or usually run through single player titles in god-mode, because in that case this might be a game for you. For those who require a little challenge in order not to grow bored with a game, better look elsewhere.
  23. Dec 31, 2012
    What is Assassin's Creed 3's core mechanic? Is it stealth? No, because if one enemy spots you, all enemies are instantly aware of your position somehow. Even though there's an indicator for how much an enemy can see you, and it's plenty fun to sneak up behind an enemy, sometimes my character would do something stupid because I didn't press the buttons contextually enough for the gamesWhat is Assassin's Creed 3's core mechanic? Is it stealth? No, because if one enemy spots you, all enemies are instantly aware of your position somehow. Even though there's an indicator for how much an enemy can see you, and it's plenty fun to sneak up behind an enemy, sometimes my character would do something stupid because I didn't press the buttons contextually enough for the games liking, and most of the missions don't involve stealth but when they do it's controller- snappingly obtuse. Is it hack and slash combat? Maybe, because there are plenty enemies in one vicinity at once and jumping in there taking them all out Arkham-style is really fun, but the game wants you to be unnoticed, you know, with the big inconspicuous hood and all, so killing everyone that looks at you funny isn't the optimal solution. Is it the naval missions? No, they're awesome in their own right and I love them, but they only appear in two of the story missions. Well done! You've done a story mission! Now you have the pleasure of being able to do something absolutely **** tedious. So no, AC3 has no core mechanic and remains an unfocused and buggy game throughout. The sidequests are dull too, with the hunting not being rewarded with anything but being pretty cool despite that. Let's just take a look back to Assassin's Creed 1, where it's core mechanic was Assassinating, hence the title. It was repetitive and you spent too much time faffing about, but at least it was a game about assassinating with just a set of tools and a target so you can find your own way to take out the enemy, whatever way you would like too. Over the years, the series has added so many more useless gimmicks that the series has become completely unfocused. I guess I should give credit where credit is due, the combat system being fast, fun and intuitive, the graphics are incredible, the aforementioned naval missions are extremely engaging and I really loved them, the new Assassin's Armour is the best one yet, the overall historical accuracy being, well, historically accurate, the writing is excellent, even though the story is conveluted and barely connected to the original Assassin's Creed story-line, the menu's are really well designed, the free-running is the best I've seen in a game, even though it does get a bit too contextual at times, and it's a fresh departure from the series that takes away the scrambled **** from the previous games. However, the scrambled eggs it took away from the previous games that made them less intuitive and focused, it completely dropped the assassinating bit, so this just becomes an unfocused generic action game, whereas its predecessors were quite original at the time and remained fun whilst also being a bit too easy. This one suffers from being a bit too easy as well, I died most of the time because Connor did something stupid. For an open world sandbox game, this needs to be less contextual, because it gets on my nerves when I cant climb up a wall unless the contextual 'Climb up the wall' button shows up. This was a problem with the previous games as well, I just want to be able to run freely without needing to press the correct button at the correct time. As an Englishman, I felt uncomfortable killng my own men, but I just got used to it over time. See, this is also a problem about the game, its set in a war that's only interesting to American Patriots and to no one else. Connor brutalising Englishman because he's not wearing the same colour as them makes Connor look like the biggest monster of them all, especially when you can't exactly demonize people sodding off later on because they couldn't be bothered any more, or maybe I'm just biased. The French renaissance would of been a much more interesting setting, because in 1775 America, there aren't any big buildings to go free running on and the whole running part is a lot less fun. But at the same time in France there are heads being chopped off, the peasants vs. the Aristocracy, there's a much more believable side you can take without being gung-ho American patriot or gung-ho French patriot. Civil wars are much more interesting, oh, what about the American civil war? Where enough time has gone by for there to be cool buildings to jump around on, war is becoming industrialised, and it's the brutal slave-owning savages of the south vs. the freedom fighting civilised north, and there's a war on so there's plenty of killing for your liking, and hey, they could of had mid-19th century Connor bump fists with Lincoln. Sure, the north outnumbered the south 2:1 but it's better than the boring old redcoats. This game is overall a pretty mixed bag, and if you do consider playing it, don't go in with your expectations too high, like I did. If you go into it with the knowledge that it's an average game, you'll come out feeling satisfied. Expand
  24. Apr 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Personally, I thought that Assassin's Creed 3 was a disappointment. It's not bad, but it's not great either. After numerous updated and patches the game is still incredibly glitchy and the framerate drops all the time. Weird things happen at times too, there have been many times when I was incognito and the guards randomly started conflict with me. The controls can sometimes seem unresponsive but that barely happens. Now on to the good. I liked the new naval missions a lot, it was pretty fun. I didn't like that there weren't a lot of naval missions, I finished them all in no time. I also hated how in some of the naval missions you were forced to just sail to your destination even though it was very far away. The wind shifts in all different directions even when you're forced to sail a long way and it annoyed me beyond belief. I did think that the hand to hand battle was the best out of the series, though. It was a lot easier and faster than the other games, especially 1 and 2. You counter by holding the circle button when an enemy is about to attack you and then it shortly goes into slow motion for you to choose to kill the enemy, break their defense or throw them. The combat was also a lot more fun than the other games. Consequences come with too much killing, though. The notoriety is back from Assassin's Creed 2 but this time it's a lot more strict. Your notoriety goes up a lot faster than it did in Assassin's Creed 2 and wanted posters aren't on your mini map anymore, only town criers and printing presses. The town criers get rid of two levels of notoriety and the printing presses get rid of three levels of notoriety. I didn't like the story as much as I did the other games, mainly because of the ending and Connor being the new assassin. Connor is a very bland character, it's not that he's bad, but he's just bland. Ezio was a much better character. The ending to me was very dissatisfying, for both Desmond and Connor. The ending for Connor was that he just killed his main enemy in the game and he buries some amulet from the first civilization in someone's grave, then you're done as Connor. The ending for Desmond was even worse for me, after five games studying the first civilization and trying to find out a way to save the world, Desmond just dies. You see him touch some sphere to save the world and then he just drops dead on the floor, no other explanation for the story following is given. All we really know is that Desmond saved the world and just died, we don't know anything about what happened to the other characters afterwards or the effect of what Desmond truly did. Assassin's Creed 2 is one of my favorite games, I just hate to see the series go in such a negative direction. Assassin's Creed 3 is most definitely a disappointment for anyone who liked the other Assassin's Creed games like me. It just didn't live up to the expectations. Expand
  25. Nov 1, 2012
    If ever there was a series with incredible highs and irritating lows, it's the Assassin's Creed series. There are parts of Connor's story that are my favorite gaming moments of the year, and parts where I wanted to put down the controller and stop playing entirely. Like all AC games, the setting and research are the takeaway win. Ever wanted to play "People's History of the United States:If ever there was a series with incredible highs and irritating lows, it's the Assassin's Creed series. There are parts of Connor's story that are my favorite gaming moments of the year, and parts where I wanted to put down the controller and stop playing entirely. Like all AC games, the setting and research are the takeaway win. Ever wanted to play "People's History of the United States: The Game" ? Then again, I'm one of those nerds that actually sits and reads all the animus database history. Seeing that history come to life is why I play these games -- the "Frontier" map in particular is just so much fun to explore, glitches aside, like Skyrim with parkour. And I'll say it, it's really nice to see native people represented as something other than cliches and stereotypes. The research on the social and political structure of the Iroquois nation pays off in droves. The story... well, here's kind of where things start to fall apart. It's very clear Ubisoft bent over backwards to show a sweeping history of the U.S., from the French Indian war through to the end of the revolution, and in order to cover all that ground it takes a loong time. If you're a detail hunter, expect to wait about 10 hours for the world to open up. I'm not even kidding, it takes that long just to don the assassin hood. Each and every new feature has a stretched out tutorial mission, from hunting to tree climbing to basic combat maneuvers (all pretty self-explanatory), as if the developers were afraid we'd miss every single detail. Speaking of details, I'm a side quest fella, and the side quests in AC are always hit or miss. In AC 3 they range from the fantastic naval warfare (which could be its own game) to popular board games of the time (I honestly don't know why I kept playing those). Then there's some truly dull stuff, like exploring underground tunnels. Whether the side quests are fun or not matters immensely, because there's almost no payoff in the actual game. Money/Assassin partners are as useless as always, so all this trading and guild micromanaging is completely pointless and honestly a waste of the gamer's time. I don't want my time wasted, developers, remember this. Most importantly, their attention to detail and putting us in documented historical moments make the main missions feel super scripted, and it's pretty jarring to suddenly be scripted in a sandbox. The main missions are the worst the series has ever offered, just from their sheer dullness and frustrating fail rate based on whether or not I do exactly what the game wants me to do. A lot of the inconsistency in this game is a clear lack of cohesion - the guys developing the homestead "Sims" game was obviously not talking to the guys writing the story, and neither were talking to the naval warfare developers, and there was some nerd in the corner scripting AI for board games and no one knew where he came from. They went hog-wild for this game, and just couldn't wring themselves in. I know they cut "Philadelphia" pretty late in development, so someone must've said "no" somewhere, but the game feels, yet again, overstuffed. There was a lot of talk about their new anvil engine, but aside from a few new movement patterns and great graphical presentation, the game feels pretty much the same. Some of it pays off, some doesn't. Was this the... ahem... "revolutionary" new game in the series we were waiting for? Absolutely not. Is there great stuff in it? Yes.. But this is a troubled game, one I was really looking forward to and enjoyed only when climbing through trees to the top of a cliff and staring down at it all from afar. Expand
  26. Aug 30, 2013
    When i played just 5 hours of this game i gave it a 9. I made a terrible mistake, this game is not that good. It has indeed a good story, and the Naval missions are the Jewel of the Crown. But the game is broken, the parkour elements are Broken, the Battles are way too simple, different weapons means nothing in this game. The best thing of the game, the naval missions, are so few in theWhen i played just 5 hours of this game i gave it a 9. I made a terrible mistake, this game is not that good. It has indeed a good story, and the Naval missions are the Jewel of the Crown. But the game is broken, the parkour elements are Broken, the Battles are way too simple, different weapons means nothing in this game. The best thing of the game, the naval missions, are so few in the story mode, that you can count in one hand's fingers. I am relieved that Blackflag's focus is on Piracy, i really hope they learn from their mistakes, Assassin's Creed is an awesome franchise. Expand
  27. Jan 20, 2013
    I do not know what to say. The graphics are amaizing. its so beautifule to look at. the thing is I did not like the story or the missions or the characters. I tried to like Conor. I realy did but I failed. There is no quiet assasin style kill here, you run in the open and EVERYONE can sense your present and ready for the killing even if you are hidding behind a wall, or god forbids, ON THEI do not know what to say. The graphics are amaizing. its so beautifule to look at. the thing is I did not like the story or the missions or the characters. I tried to like Conor. I realy did but I failed. There is no quiet assasin style kill here, you run in the open and EVERYONE can sense your present and ready for the killing even if you are hidding behind a wall, or god forbids, ON THE ROOFS! no running on top of roofs, they are ready for you, They'll climp up for you to force you down! and then run after you some more while shooting at you and..oh god! what happened?!! I thought him being native and all will be the master of disguise and stealth killing..but no..I just did not like this one. Expand
  28. Apr 6, 2013
    There is no doubt about it. This game has supremely high-production values, especially when it comes to the story or the graphical fidelity. In the sense of gameplay, not so much. See the developers stuck so heavily to the script most of what gameplay consists of is mundane story missions where you tail a fixed target. It's repetitive and boring, providing no innovation at all. The combatThere is no doubt about it. This game has supremely high-production values, especially when it comes to the story or the graphical fidelity. In the sense of gameplay, not so much. See the developers stuck so heavily to the script most of what gameplay consists of is mundane story missions where you tail a fixed target. It's repetitive and boring, providing no innovation at all. The combat is still fluid, albeit easy but it's nice to see how inventive they were with some of the ways you can kill your enemies. The animations and the game world is breathtaking, with the mountain regions being implemented in the game for a new, dynamic free-running system. This for the most part, works very well but it's a shame you're discouraged to explore the rooftops so heavily with the amount of guards that are conveniently up there. The side-missions and other activities lack any real engagement or reason to care about them, they just feel tacked-on. The naval missions though are a welcome addition to the series and fit the era the game is depicted in. The story and voice-acting are good but the new protagonist lacks any personality, he just feels like some guy. Oh, and don't even get me started on that s***** ass ending which is obviously intended as sequel bait. Lastly, the 100% synchronization is supposed to be a set of additional objectives in a mission but the missions are so linear and centred around the story anyway that you probably won't notice or care about it. Overall, it's a good game but I feel like the series is spiralling downward more and more, going onto the path of the endless Call of Duty sequels. Expand
  29. May 3, 2013
    AC III is a very disappoint game. Yes it has better graphics and cinematics but that it's not what makes a game great. The story feels rushed and Connor reminds me of Kristen Stewart...the only thing that I saw Connor show was anger, and even that sound like fake anger. The stealth is very difficult to pull out in this game, running around in the roof tops isn't fun anymore, the guardsAC III is a very disappoint game. Yes it has better graphics and cinematics but that it's not what makes a game great. The story feels rushed and Connor reminds me of Kristen Stewart...the only thing that I saw Connor show was anger, and even that sound like fake anger. The stealth is very difficult to pull out in this game, running around in the roof tops isn't fun anymore, the guards spot you so easly that makes you don't want to walk in the rooftops...the Frontier section is amazing with the animals and been hable to explore but some glitches makes the experience a bit hard to enjoy. The naval missons are amazing but honestly they became a bit repetitive and not has enjoyable. The combat system feels very slow. Expand
  30. Nov 13, 2012
    ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW--- could have been epic, but instead let down by a dull story, repetitive gameplay and sadly ( a first in the franchise) boredom! Looks fantastic and HAD SO MUCH PROMISE but in fact comes out dry, limp and really unrewarding. Bugs yes, travelling lots, terrible characterisation- indeed, but none of that makes it a bad game; it's the promise of greatness & subsequentALL YOU NEED TO KNOW--- could have been epic, but instead let down by a dull story, repetitive gameplay and sadly ( a first in the franchise) boredom! Looks fantastic and HAD SO MUCH PROMISE but in fact comes out dry, limp and really unrewarding. Bugs yes, travelling lots, terrible characterisation- indeed, but none of that makes it a bad game; it's the promise of greatness & subsequent mediocrity that is the real bummer here!! What a missed opportunity, what a shame. My last AC purchase - and if you don't agree play red dead redemption for an hour- it's superior in every way when this Ac could have been the icing on the cake. Oh for shame ubisoft, a huge drop kick given the excellent premise and buildup. By the way I had this game 2 days before the rushed reviews came ou and mine is 100 per cent complete full synch. I speak from experience. Sad times Expand
  31. Jan 4, 2013
    Excellent storytelling,, awesome scenario, awesome graphics, but the bugs, combat glitches, and many quest glitches plague this game endlessly, you will be forced to do the same mission 20 times as you keep getting spawned in unlucky spots, or randomly generated npc's will block you, i won't spoil much about the ending, but if you can suffer through the numerous glitches and errors thatExcellent storytelling,, awesome scenario, awesome graphics, but the bugs, combat glitches, and many quest glitches plague this game endlessly, you will be forced to do the same mission 20 times as you keep getting spawned in unlucky spots, or randomly generated npc's will block you, i won't spoil much about the ending, but if you can suffer through the numerous glitches and errors that plague this game, you will enjoy it, the games centered around Ezio are still superior imo. It feels like they took a couple steps back in this game, almost assassins creed 1ish in its approach. Expand
  32. Jan 8, 2014
    Although this is not my favorite Assassin's Creed game, it is still a very well made game. AC3 brings players to America during the revolution and does so very well. It tells the personal story of Connor and how he becomes one of the Assassins.

The gameplay is relatively similar to past AC games and does deviate in any worsening direction, but they could have improved the game much more. The background music while traversing the great lands of America is not present like it was in past games when going around Istanbul or Venice.

Graphics-wise, this is the most appealing game I have ever seen on an Assassin's Creed game. So the bottom line is, get this game when you see it in the Bargain Bin.
  33. Nov 5, 2013
    I don't know how to feel about AC3. I liked the time period it was set in and the story but I didn't like how the game felt and how it was played. And in Frontier you sometimes have to run over 1000m which took some time. I think the pieces of the puzzle were there but they wouldn't fit together.
  34. Jan 27, 2014
    This assassins creed has disappointed me a lot, Connor is a character hasn´t have personality, he doesn´t know why he fight. The beginning of the game is slow, the first 4-5 hours are very boring. The game submit much graphical errors, like weapons in levitation, characters that appear suddenly. The combat system has been improved respect over previous releases but yet is still below otherThis assassins creed has disappointed me a lot, Connor is a character hasn´t have personality, he doesn´t know why he fight. The beginning of the game is slow, the first 4-5 hours are very boring. The game submit much graphical errors, like weapons in levitation, characters that appear suddenly. The combat system has been improved respect over previous releases but yet is still below other games like batman arkhan. The gameplay follows the patters of previous deliveries, but have errors, like getting stuck between tress that at times maddening. The story is very poor and how the story end, don´t like all.

good thinks in the game: ship battles, are fun but lack depth.

Only I recommend the game, diehard fans of assassins credd.
  35. Jul 1, 2013
    The game is very glitchy (floating NPCs, missions that can't be completed...) even after the last official patch. The game itself isn't too far from the previous AC episodes and the ONLY breath of fresh air comes from the sea battles/sections. The secondary quests are more or less "go there and press a button", almost every single one of them. The ending sucks. I give ACIII a 6 just 'causeThe game is very glitchy (floating NPCs, missions that can't be completed...) even after the last official patch. The game itself isn't too far from the previous AC episodes and the ONLY breath of fresh air comes from the sea battles/sections. The secondary quests are more or less "go there and press a button", almost every single one of them. The ending sucks. I give ACIII a 6 just 'cause it isn't total garbage. Expand
  36. Jan 29, 2013
    A slightly draining story is easily forgivable once you experience the huge multitude of gameplay options. There are so many ways to complete and play this game that multiple playthroughs won't suffice, even if those playthroughs go for hours with sometimes an apparent lack of purpose. Some bad conveyance with objectives or story related plot goings leave the narrative in a bit of a mess,A slightly draining story is easily forgivable once you experience the huge multitude of gameplay options. There are so many ways to complete and play this game that multiple playthroughs won't suffice, even if those playthroughs go for hours with sometimes an apparent lack of purpose. Some bad conveyance with objectives or story related plot goings leave the narrative in a bit of a mess, but there's so much to enjoy otherwise that I loved the majority of this game. Combat is improved, but some more stealth mechanics wouldn't go amiss. Weirdly, I enjoyed the Desmond missions a ton in this game, and was a little bummed out by their lack of frequency. The ending sucks too. Expand
  37. Jan 28, 2013
    The free-running and combat from previous Assassin's Creed games have returned, but there is still something off about this game. The story feels underdeveloped, with characters drastically changing in mere seconds: "Why did you kill that man _____?" to "Why did you let him get away _____?!?". The trading system was a bit confusing to players who haven't been keeping up with the eachThe free-running and combat from previous Assassin's Creed games have returned, but there is still something off about this game. The story feels underdeveloped, with characters drastically changing in mere seconds: "Why did you kill that man _____?" to "Why did you let him get away _____?!?". The trading system was a bit confusing to players who haven't been keeping up with the each yearly iterations. Another major gripe was the level design outside of missions. At one point I would finish a mission and would have trudge to another location in the same area, one that is devoid of fast-travel checkpoints. The horse would be handy in situations like these, if it wasn't completely slow and useless. After 10 minutes I would get to the objective, sit through a 40 second cutscene and have to go to another objective marker that is 3 areas away. This completely kills any momentum the player had previously built up. Overall, AC3 isn't a terrible buy, but if you haven't already gotten it you should wait until it goes on sale. Expand
  38. Nov 8, 2012
    AC3 is one of the more bizarre games i've played recently. A schizophrenic experience of ambitious new features like the Homestead, Naval battles and teh Frontier added to the traditional Ac formula. Despite a grand premise the game falls flat. Firstly,the pacing is atrocious - you'll spend most of the main story doing 'tutorial missions' which ironically do a poor job. Next, ConnorAC3 is one of the more bizarre games i've played recently. A schizophrenic experience of ambitious new features like the Homestead, Naval battles and teh Frontier added to the traditional Ac formula. Despite a grand premise the game falls flat. Firstly,the pacing is atrocious - you'll spend most of the main story doing 'tutorial missions' which ironically do a poor job. Next, Connor is a wooden void of a character drivng a story that hops about without any sense of purpose with interesting characters like his mother cast aside so you can meet a who's who list of American historical figures who are mostly bland. Even though all the new features are beautifully done, they feel detached and unimportant to the main game. and it's the main game that has had the least care given to it. Even improvements like the combat and animations have issues. Tho Connor feels faster and maneuverable on the ground the parkour has worsened; despite being simplified it feels sticky and unpredictable. The Ai is still painfully erratic, and the mechanics clunky, making stealth at times borderline-broken. Pop-in and gliches abound, horses are simply awful and combat is so easy, it's a superior strategy to take on a fort of 30 gun-and sword weilding soldiers in a straight on fight than attempt a stealthy infiltration. AC3 is in many senses a great achievement, in others a painful, bloated mess, that could have done with Ubisoft addressing core issues that have plagued the series before they decided to add so much on top. Expand
  39. Nov 15, 2012
    As an AC fan I am really disapointed with this game. It is seriously on par with AC1 (which is awful) this game was a step back overall. The only positives in this game are the stunning online & the amazing graphics. This game is a rent at best. It was just a overhyped mess.
  40. Nov 4, 2013
    I played all the main console releases for Assassin's Creed, but for some reason, I only just got around to this one. With AC IV out now on PS3, I guess I realized I needed to catch up. And I found I hadn't really been missing that much.

The main historical story follows two new protagonists, Haytham and Connor. Because I already knew you spent most of the game with Connor, the first few hours with Haytham felt like an overlong, forced tutorial. Unfortunately, even when I started playing Connor, I found myself less than enthralled. Maybe I just wanted to finish the game so I could be ready for AC IV, and maybe that means this game didn't get the fair shot it deserved.

But the truth is, I didn't want to spend my time hunting or doing most of the other inane side stuffs available. The game fortunately removed tower defense and some of the other annoyances from Revelations, replacing it with a fairly interesting naval battle system. Some other changes were also favorable--like the simplified free run system. However, I also found no desire (and little reason) to pursue any of the side quests. The rewards seemed few and far between, and without the chance to buy or repair property found in Brotherhood and Revelations, I rarely cared. You recruit one other assassin as part of the main story, and it was all I needed to complete the campaign.

Desmond's story continues from where it left off, and was a highlight for me. The tale about the first civ continues to reveal little bits and pieces of AC lore, and moreover, there were several playable missions for Desmond which were honestly more fun than those in the Animus.

Overall, I'm still looking forward to AC IV, but I probably enjoyed this game less than any of the others in the main series. Despite the removal of tower defense (thank God) and some technical improvements, the overall experience was mediocre.
  41. Nov 1, 2012
    Assassins Creed has always been one of my favourite games, that was until Revelations came along which was a blatant cash in offering nothing new. The highlight of the series has been Brotherhood in my opinion. So here is Assassins Creed 3.

I won't spoil anything but this game takes ages to get going, I'm talking hours I'm all up for setting the scene but to be honest its dull, I don't want to have my hand held I want to be treated like I have the intelligence to do things my way not be punished if I go off the path. The environments are beautiful - especially the Frontier which is alive with dense forest, animals going about their day and deep sparkling snow. The cities in comparison are alive but feel "generic" . Cut scenes are everywhere which really dig into the immersion as do the messy menus which lift you out of the game.

At the start for reasons you'll discover you can't climb the trees and this drip feeding of abilities is like Gran Turismo saying you can't get out of second gear until you have proved you can go round a corner without crashing.

I hope it picks up I really do but I can't help but feel this has run its course now.
  42. Oct 30, 2012
    Bad game. Terrible game. This is the fifth AC game to come out it and it still plays and looks the same. I was excited when the previews said that this is by far the best yet but that is sadly false. This game is identical to any other game in the series. I would politely say pass. I got it from Gamestop and had to return it right away. I thought I was actually playing AC2 again becauseBad game. Terrible game. This is the fifth AC game to come out it and it still plays and looks the same. I was excited when the previews said that this is by far the best yet but that is sadly false. This game is identical to any other game in the series. I would politely say pass. I got it from Gamestop and had to return it right away. I thought I was actually playing AC2 again because GS gave me the wrong game. Expand
  43. Feb 5, 2013
    This game is... quite honestly this game is rather bad... this is coming from a guy who has quite a high tolerance level for glitches and just general bad gamedesign. I can stomach a glitch here and there, I can take unresponsive control, in Assassin's creed 2 and Brotherhood these existed as well and those are my favourite titles in the franchise by far... but this game just takes it to aThis game is... quite honestly this game is rather bad... this is coming from a guy who has quite a high tolerance level for glitches and just general bad gamedesign. I can stomach a glitch here and there, I can take unresponsive control, in Assassin's creed 2 and Brotherhood these existed as well and those are my favourite titles in the franchise by far... but this game just takes it to a whole new level, begging me to question wether Ubisoft really finished this game, and this is coming from someone who's played the game nearly half a year after it was released, and hearing the game was even buggier back when it hit the storeshelves! The story is a complete boring on-rails experience, woven into a mission system that almost seems afraid to let go of your hand out of fear of you getting hopelessly lost. This is coming out of personal preference but the colonial times are just not as appealing to me as renaisance Italy was, probably because I am european and I'm not too educated on american history I don't know but the setting, aside from the graphically amazing frontier, felt incredibly bland and most buildings seemed more like a copy paste job than anything else. The combat, while definitely fun on its own, is a case of don't fix what isn't broken, what was wrong with ACII's combat? The music, wherever it is present, is still amazing, Jesper Kyd's feel for making this series sound awsome is still very apparent in this title. But none of these things come even close to how utterly broken this game feels. free running is a disaster, i can't count how many times I have pressed forward on my controller and Connor ACTUALLY went backward! the mission constraint don't feel like bonus objectives at all, they take the fun out of the game for any completionist out there and in some missions they actually punish players for being thorough, such as some of the naval missions where having a fully upgraded ship actually makes achieving bonus objectives a complete and utter excercise in frustration. I have loved this franchise since day one, the pseudo-sci-fi backstory of Desmond aside, I adore the historical feel of these games, but the way I see it this game was a nail in the franchise's coffin. One final word of advice to Ubisoft, give us an ASSASSIN's creed! If I wanted to play an action adventure game I would go play God of war. Expand
  44. Nov 1, 2012
    Assassins Creed 3 is a true evolution of character & era, personally the greatest thing about the AC franchise has always been the movement of your character. The movement feels much smoother throughout every AC and in AC3 it feels as smoother then it ever has been from a light feint step to simply sneaking into bushes and quickly climbing trees, the agile free running feels effortlessAssassins Creed 3 is a true evolution of character & era, personally the greatest thing about the AC franchise has always been the movement of your character. The movement feels much smoother throughout every AC and in AC3 it feels as smoother then it ever has been from a light feint step to simply sneaking into bushes and quickly climbing trees, the agile free running feels effortless with the press of one button held down and the combat feels as fluid as ever. The presentation and animation seemed like they were improved too a new height for the franchise and the visuals are stunning and brings along a strong value of exploration for vast amount of side missions while displaying some beautiful scenery of America on your journey throughout the game. The minor downfalls would be the odd dull dialogues which made me doze of at times as well a slow pace of story throughout the game which takes a bit of patience for those who await some action, the technical sides are not a big deal to me but the odd long loading screen does get annoying and the odd glitch and frame rate do appear at time. Another minor con would be the camera angles at times. The highlight system for me personally has always annoyed me in all the ACs but it tends to develop into your style of play. The greatest achievement for Ubisoft is the fruition of ideas being well thought of and carefully implemented into the game as well as creating a great plot from our human history and illustrating a great movie like title with Connor being the star of the show. Nothing bad to say about AC3 but it falls a bit short from a masterpiece and almost equals AC2 in terms of satisfaction and game play. Expand
  45. Apr 4, 2013
    This.... This is not an Assassins Creed game, it isn't and im gonna explain you why.
    Ok so let's start with the story the story starts in quite an interesting way meanwhile you start discovering how each character truly is you start by playing as Haytham an non interesting character that holds up until you play for a couple of hours and you will just be asking to yourself where's Connor pointing out the cover of the game box that you just bought then you will start getting angry just by realizing Haytham didn't need all the time that it was put into it just doesn't make any sense to waste four sequences (chapters) just to explain his character is a waste of space. So after the 4 chapters that take about five to six hours to complete
    you can finally play as Connor but you need to play as him through out his childhood, teenage years and finally you can play as him as an adult assassin the problem is that this other three sequences of just watching Connor grow up you will be angry at the fact that the four sequences that you play as Haytham could have been used to play as Connor and tell an story that actually is interesting. after a while the only things that you will start liking about the game are the graphics the combat system (that is really good) and well that's pretty much it no more no less another thing that you will notice is the obvious linearity that the game has in terms of gameplay the game will be constantly forcing you to play the way that they want you to play by making you fail the mission if you don't play stealthy or aggressive it just never feels like any of the past game is just a complete f... you to the fans of the past series, the naval combat is really fun but after a while i notice the freaking cover of my box said i was playing an Assassin's Creed game, but overall the combat system and the naval battles and the gorgeous graphics can't just hold up the raw that this game will bring you if you were a fan of the previous games. In conclusion Assassin's Creed 3 is a barely decent game beautiful graphics, amazing combat system, and naval control cannot make the player avoid noticing the awful mistakes that the linear gameplay dumb waste of story space and various uninteresting hours of waste of time and effort just leaves me with the feeling that this game could have been ten times better than what it end up being if you are a big fan of the series you will definitely be very disappointed.
  46. Jan 15, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Being AC third main installment we thought that Ubi-soft will bring stunning new editions to the table......they succeed in some ways but fall flat on others.

First of we get a very long training period until we get to run free in the games vast sandbox. At sequence 6 you can run around and do the things you want to do. The story for the most part is very rushed and there is almost no suspense in the games narrative. There is a new main protagonist in the game...Connor, who sets of on a mission to save his people from the templars. The best part of the story imo was the opening Haytham sequences. The story seamed very paced.

The combat has yet again stayed partly the same ar ACB and ACR. Some cool looking animations and fluid moves make the combat feel realistic. And sometimes you can even get killed because of the different enemy types.

Naval combat makes its first appearance. It was awesome, but after a while it get booring to do the naval missions which last for about 5 minutes. They feel like naval minigames. The storybased naval missions are far longer than 5 min, and leave a greater impact on the story.

The graphics have been improved, but the overall wow factor was less than enjoyable. Mostly because there are no tall building to free run on. Most of the buildings are two or three stories high. Major texture popin issueas are clearly visible, and many repeatetive character animations, take away some of the enjoyment of just running throughout the city,

Overall AC3 ir a good game, but the lackluster story, somewhat booring missions leave us wanting something compleatly fresh. The American Revolution was a great chapter in history, but it wasnt ar greatly told ar in the rest of the AC games.
  47. Nov 10, 2012
    I was as disappointed with AC3 as I was with Revelations. I thoroughly enjoyed AC2 and Brotherhood, but the last two games seem like the creators became bored with the premise and felt the need to do "something new." Sometimes this is good for a game, but not with AC. The frontier animal hunting gets old fast, and is especially frustrating when you're penalized for not skinning everyI was as disappointed with AC3 as I was with Revelations. I thoroughly enjoyed AC2 and Brotherhood, but the last two games seem like the creators became bored with the premise and felt the need to do "something new." Sometimes this is good for a game, but not with AC. The frontier animal hunting gets old fast, and is especially frustrating when you're penalized for not skinning every kill. I was thinking "Red Dead Assassin's Creed" a lot. It also becomes tiring having to fight soldiers in droves every time you're notoriety is raised, which happens a lot. Want to do a side quest preventing an execution? Get ready to fight scoreless soldiers and be "wanted." Want to climb buildings and jump around? They'll be after you then, too. It might be more bearable if there were EXP points or something, but the game treats you the same for killing 500 or 5 soldiers. I also found combat clunky and unsatisfying, despite some decent animations during certain combo kills. You have a bow, but can only carry 10 arrows. You have a gun, but only carry 8 bullets (and it takes forever to reload). Finally, for a game about assassination and "stealth," it's nearly impossible to remain stealthy. British soldiers are ubiquitous in the cities. There's also a lot of fetching and chasing; chase this guy thru the city, chase that guy...it gets old. And while some love the nautical fighting and sailing, I did not. I thought it was tedious. I found myself rushing thru the main plot to finish the game and be done with it. Sure, AC3 has got great visuals and the idea of setting the game in revolutionary America was cool, but the gameplay was, for me, a big letdown. Check it out used or try the demo first, IMO. Expand
  48. Nov 17, 2012
    Es un buen juego, los gráficos son buenos, aunque tiene mucho popping . Los escenarios y los personajes están bien diseñados y bien hechos como en otros Assassins. Destacan especialmente los inmensos bosques. Requiere más cargas para pasar de un escenario a otro que otros sandbox. La historia es buena aunque algo simplona, tiene giros de guiónEs un buen juego, los gráficos son buenos, aunque tiene mucho popping . Los escenarios y los personajes están bien diseñados y bien hechos como en otros Assassins. Destacan especialmente los inmensos bosques. Requiere más cargas para pasar de un escenario a otro que otros sandbox. La historia es buena aunque algo simplona, tiene giros de guión interesantes. Me gustaron más los otros Assassins por el diseño de las ciudades, prefiero moverme por la recreación de las ciudades italianas renacentistas que saltar de árbol en árbol. Se pierde mucho de la jugabilidad de Assassins ya que no es lo mismo saltar por las ciudades italianas de las entregas anteriores que por las ciudades coloniales de los EEUU. Se pierden también las posibilidades de personalizar al personaje, ya que no hay opción de comprarle nuevas armas o mejorar su armadura. Lleva la misma casaca siempre. Las escenas de guerra están muy bien recreadas, con momentos de alta dificultad. Me gustó especialmente la parte en la que tú ordenas disparar a los cañones. En general es un buen juego, si te gusta la temática, pero yo prefiero las dos entregas anteriores de la saga por la recreación de las ciudades renacentistas italianas que dan más jugabilidad que las ciudades coloniales norteamericanas. Expand
  49. Feb 19, 2013
    While I think Assassin's Creed III is a solid game, I think it also suffers in quite a few ways.

Assassin's Creed I was a good concept that wasn't executed that well. It was a really tedious experience. Assassin's Creed II capitalized on the good parts of AC1 and added a lot of awesome stuff to make it a very fun experience. Brotherhood was also a very solid game that expanded on

Brotherhood was also a very solid game that expanded on concepts introduced in AC2 and was another relatively fun game.

After Brotherhood, the series starting taking a step back. Revelations was a good game, but it felt like a chore to complete. The story also started to become a lot more convoluted and uninteresting. AC3, while it has a lot of good stuff to it, continues in this negative direction. While it drew me in with a very unique Revolutionary War theme, it quickly ended up being just another chore to complete in the same vein as Revelations. It started off as a relatively fun game, but it quickly descended. It felt relatively similar to previous Assassin's Creed games, even with the change in scenery. The gameplay is good, but it just wasn't all that engrossing anymore. I had a hard time keeping interest in this game. While the game encourages exploration and doing side quests, I was just more concerned with completing the game and seeing how the story concluded (which it really didn't do a great job of doing, at that). I just didn't care about doing any of the side missions. In AC2, the whole experience engrossed me and made me WANT to do all of the extra stuff. Brotherhood also had a similar effect, but was starting to diminish a bit. I did very little extra stuff in Revelations and that trend continued with AC3. The whole experience just wasn't as fun as it used to be, despite being a well-done game.

Connor is a decent protagonist, but it's very hard to get into him, and that is a big reason for the game's shortcomings. He's a no-nonsense guy who really doesn't have a lot to offer personality-wise. And it's easy to understand, given his past. However, it also makes it really hard to relate to him, and that's where you start to distance yourself from the game. The average gamer is probably going to have a tough time relating to Connor because he is just so... meh (I couldn't really think of another way to put it). On the other hand, Ezio also had a very troubled past, but still managed to be a very entertaining protagonist. He was a funny guy with a lot of personality, and we all know a guy like him. This helps draw you into the game and makes you wonder what happens to this very interesting character. Altair really didn't have this, and neither did Connor (for the most part). Connor's past definitely had a lot of potential to create a strong storyline. And, while it did produce a pretty good storyline, it just wasn't as engrossing as it could've been. And a lot of that has to do with Connor not being an incredibly likable protagonist. It's a pretty serious hindrance that drags the game down. It also makes you start to notice other flaws in the game that may have been covered up otherwise. I immediately began to realize how, aside from a few slight additions (like the battles, which I found to be decent, at best), this is basically the same exact formula as AC games past, but with a different appearance. I quickly began to realize how the whole game started to feel like a "been there, done that" ordeal. The Assassin's Creed formula is really good, but it was starting to grow a bit tired by the end of Revelations and it was really magnified by the end of AC3.

Is Assassin's Creed III a bad game? Absolutely not. It's a fun experience that is, unfortunately, hampered by some rather glaring flaws. It features a subpar protagonist that really could've used a more likable personality, a "been there, done that" feel, and a convoluted overall storyline that just really makes you lose interest in the series as a whole. These 3 big issues really kept me from gaining a full interest in this game.

Without these big flaws, I think this would probably be a solid 8/10 game. However, they are present and really began to take a toll on my interest. I just couldn't get into Connor. I got bored of the same formula that has been present for the previous 3 games. The overarching storyline is just really confusing as a whole and just ended on a sour note in this game.

Again, AC3 is a decent game. However, it had a chance to reinvent itself with the new setting, but it just didn't capitalize fully on that chance. Instead, we got a very similar game to previous AC games that, while good, was very tired due to the same formula being utilized in the 3 previous games. That just didn't sit well with me, especially with all of the material it had to work with in the Revolutionary War.

Ultimately, AC3 ends up being a mixed bag. There's a lot of good stuff featured in the game, but a lot of stuff that will make you shake your head, as well.
  50. Jul 6, 2013
    Right I'm going to get straight to the point. The Connor parts of this game are average at best. He's not a particularly likable character and everything you saw in the trailers for this game (like jumping and shooting with the bow and everything being epic) are impossible. So that's that out of the way. Then the Desmond parts of the game are just stupid. Yet again the sci-fi parts of theRight I'm going to get straight to the point. The Connor parts of this game are average at best. He's not a particularly likable character and everything you saw in the trailers for this game (like jumping and shooting with the bow and everything being epic) are impossible. So that's that out of the way. Then the Desmond parts of the game are just stupid. Yet again the sci-fi parts of the game ruin it for me and, having completed all previous parts of the franchise (not completely just the main stories like a lot of other people) I was left sitting at the screen watching a cutscene and not knowing what the hell was going on.... Assassin's Creed it pains me to say it has lost it's way. Expand
  51. Nov 3, 2012
    Such a beautiful game, but it does have its flaws. The game is pretty glitchy, characters go missing while in conversation sometimes, while running the character attends to freak out, on occasions, the character attends to glide for some reason, and other minor ones. The environments is gorgeous, to the city of Boston to the deep wilderness of the Frontier. Gameplay and multiplayer isSuch a beautiful game, but it does have its flaws. The game is pretty glitchy, characters go missing while in conversation sometimes, while running the character attends to freak out, on occasions, the character attends to glide for some reason, and other minor ones. The environments is gorgeous, to the city of Boston to the deep wilderness of the Frontier. Gameplay and multiplayer is really fun. But the biggest problem of the game is the ending. Its very unsatisfying. The story is good until you reach the ending. You will probably spend about 10-12 hours on the game, if you just do main missions. Expand
  52. Jan 5, 2013
    The first couple of quests at the start where you play Naytham or whatever were so boring and dull I almost sold the game back right away. Then I pushed ahead to where you become rukhanheketon or whatever his name is and the game became bearable for a while longer. After about 10 or so hours I stopped all sidequests and just grinded thru the main story so I wouldn't feel bad for selling itThe first couple of quests at the start where you play Naytham or whatever were so boring and dull I almost sold the game back right away. Then I pushed ahead to where you become rukhanheketon or whatever his name is and the game became bearable for a while longer. After about 10 or so hours I stopped all sidequests and just grinded thru the main story so I wouldn't feel bad for selling it without finishing it. Expand
  53. Nov 29, 2012
    Recruiting has been revamped to be more challenging, unfortunately it's also less fun. A bug was in my game that would say a one star level assignment was available in an area and when I opened the area to select the assignment it turned out to be a two level assignment (or three)...not game breaking but annoying to say the least. Contracts were a joke. Many could be completed by walkingRecruiting has been revamped to be more challenging, unfortunately it's also less fun. A bug was in my game that would say a one star level assignment was available in an area and when I opened the area to select the assignment it turned out to be a two level assignment (or three)...not game breaking but annoying to say the least. Contracts were a joke. Many could be completed by walking up behind the target, stabbing him and walking off. Homestead missions added a lot of flavor to the character development in the community although the voice acting for the main protagonist was horrible (he did much better in the main quest). The naval battles were off the chart awesome...Ubisoft should seriously consider making a pirate game. Neither the story nor the main character are as engaging as past "Ezio" games except for the sequences with Haytham (best character in game) and at times if felt a little ridiculous with Connor being the "savior" of all these huge past events. The sequences with Desmond were at times more fun than those in the animus and the game is worth the price if for nothing more than seeing the conclusion to his story. One shortcut was taken that really annoyed me. In the frontier at least 5 viewpoints are trees....I have no problem with that except for the fact it's the exact same tree every time...and when you do them one after another to open up the map, it is really aggravating. A solid game...enjoyable for the most part but not as good as AC2 or Brotherhood. Expand
  54. May 25, 2013
    AC3 could have been so much better, it is ruind by all gliches and the fact that its not eaven finished. Not to forget the gameplay mechanics are not the best one either that i came up with a solution on very quickly. But now AC has become COD anyway so i don´t care anymore
  55. Oct 31, 2012
    What I'm going to say is that a 10 score is not for it being a perfect game. It saying that it is well worth my money that I bought this glorious game. For those who reviewed the game in only a couple hours and yet to do everything is not a fair review. Here is a fair review why I think Assassin's Creed 3 is a Glourious game.
    *A SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN REVIEW and some spelling errors*
    *A SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN REVIEW and some spelling errors*

Review*Spoiler*
    The game starts you off right after revelations where after Desmond seen the truth behind the 2012 incident years ago. Desmond and his crew went in the vault inorder to save the world but only to find that there is a series of power keys you need to find in order to open the pathway to something far beyond in the inner depths of the world. Desmond fall into a stasis and went back on the animus to find out that during the 1700's, he had other ancestors that related to the vault he was in. You start to play as Hathym(SP), an grandmaster assassin, trying to find the exact vault that Desmond is already in with a huge twist in the beginning. Sooner later You start to play as another ancestor, Connor Kenway(Ratohnhaké:ton) from child to teenanger, trainy, then a full pledge Assassin. There is some Desmond story throughout the hours you put into the game and talking to the crew: Shaun, Rebbecca, and William(Desmonds Father), though most of it is talking then taking small missions to obtain the power cells. Ubisoft made it more intriging to know the characters better as even a interative talk gives the characters more meaning and life. Some characters are brought back for explanation like Ezio, Altiar, Lucy, the alien gods, and Subject 16 with some new ones as well.

The graphics of this game is outstanding. To facial animations, little small animations that gives you the feel that your in the world, the detail on other characters and the world, setting and rich atmosphere of snow, rain, spring,etc. The 5 years that Ubisoft took on this game shows though the fire can be abit better. During when i was playing through Conners child missions, going in the burning village was really awesome but the fire kinda look like water colored with red,orange, and yellow. With some minor bugs that I experince with didn't ruin the game for me, but it can be silly to look at sometimes like a bayonette musket floatin in the air.

The gameplay is changed dramaticually in this game, making it more simpiler than the others. People who can't seem to adjust to the controls should have expected it because of the content in this game. There is hunting,running, fighitng, stealth, boat battles, uses of inventories, etc. It's endless and I can see why people think its all clustered. To me, i thought it was pretty played out well, except the few minor experinces with the parkour free run when I didn't meant to run up some walls but gladly they didnt bother me. The AI in the game is kind of wonky with me in where I was literally infront of the redcoats while in the bushes and I stook out like a sore thumb yet he didnt' notice me.Gives me that flawed Assassins Creed AI feel to me which is great actually. Combat is alot better with vaired of weaponary in uses which how you want to dispose the enemy, either tomahawk them to death, use the dagger?hidden blade, bow, dart ropes, swords, musket, flicklocks,etc. This combat made me feel more impact of the feeling of actually hitting them kinda like Uncharted and Batman since they give you the feel of acutally being in the fight. You can mash buttons but come on, alot of people do that. The sound of the game gives life to it. The crowd of its screaming, conversations, pigs, dogs, anything you see in real life is pretty much what it feels here. The voice acting is astonishing with Benjimin Franklin, George Washington, the natives, Conner. its all top notch thought the Indian Native language voice acting seems abit off sometimes but still give that cutural feeling. Gameplay sound is good, sounds more clear than the pervious games though sometimes the audio is cut out( I only experinced it once).

You can see that i greatly enjoyed the hell out of this game. I put over hours of this game and still loving it. I highly recommend to pick this game up. Even if you are or not an assassins creed fan.
  56. Dec 13, 2012
    I really don't recommend buying this game full price, maybe buying cheaper, but for $ 60,00, it isn't worth this price. The game is unfinished, they wasted too much time on the engine and graphics, so there wasn't money and time left for adding, you know? Gameplay. The missions are linear, scripted, short, and unchallenging, even Assassins creed I is better than this game and I hatedI really don't recommend buying this game full price, maybe buying cheaper, but for $ 60,00, it isn't worth this price. The game is unfinished, they wasted too much time on the engine and graphics, so there wasn't money and time left for adding, you know? Gameplay. The missions are linear, scripted, short, and unchallenging, even Assassins creed I is better than this game and I hated Assassins Creed I. The side activities are pointless, I got bored very quickly when I discovered that most side missions required of me to watch two or more loading screens, walk half the map to just beat a random dude or to do a simple fetch quest to some generic NPC. The game is just a big interactive movie, the story is decent, but is no way as good as assssin's creed II . I really don't understand, why Ubisoft want to turn all their games into interactive movies. Do you like interactive movies? Buy Walking dead instead (the story is way better and its cheaper too). Do you like open world games? Better games for you: Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Read Dead Redemption. Do you really want to buy an assassins creed game? Buy assassins creed II (it's still a game an not an interactive movie, will not bore you to death with endless cutscenes, the story is way better). Really want to buy this game? Better buy used or wait for the price to drop. If you buy this game for $ 60,00, you are just wasting your money and if this game sales are good, I fear for the future of the franchise. Expand
  57. Nov 3, 2012
    Assassin's creed III is both a success and disappointment in my eyes. The beautifully realised colonial America is a true highlight. The vast array of side missions gives the impression of a real and inhabited world that the player can explore. Great aspects for me were the frontier man missions, which send Connor searching for evidence to prove or dismiss the existence of myths and tallAssassin's creed III is both a success and disappointment in my eyes. The beautifully realised colonial America is a true highlight. The vast array of side missions gives the impression of a real and inhabited world that the player can explore. Great aspects for me were the frontier man missions, which send Connor searching for evidence to prove or dismiss the existence of myths and tall tales. The naval missions blew me away, even when i was sailing on cool calm waters. The homestead missions are great, i felt myself growing attached to the various characters moving in on my land and enjoyed helping them out. However on the other end of the scale glitches, frequent loading screens and unrefined controls can really get on your nerves. It really feels like they should have spent that little bit more polishing the game up in these aspects. It really would have made all the difference. All in all a great game, just not quite up to the standard i was expecting from a game of this calibre. Expand
  58. Nov 18, 2012
    When I picked up this game I played it for quite a while. It was a great game the combat had been changed and it took a while to get used to but so far it was a good game. No normally when playing a game like this I play another game at the same time so in this case I played batman arkham city . which I personally think is one of the best games this gen and if you haven't already I wouldWhen I picked up this game I played it for quite a while. It was a great game the combat had been changed and it took a while to get used to but so far it was a good game. No normally when playing a game like this I play another game at the same time so in this case I played batman arkham city . which I personally think is one of the best games this gen and if you haven't already I would seriously suggest picking it up. Anyway I suddenly thought how similar the two games were. AC3 new counter system is identical to arkham city's only arkham city's is a lot better. The story is much better in Arkham city as well. When I cottoned on to this I noticed that the whole hunting thing was almost entirely ripped off the Red Dead Redmption. So to some up this game is really good but everything this game does has come from another game but that game did it MUCH better so instead if paying full price for this go get Arkham city or Red Dead redemption which you could probably buy both of them for less than you did for AC3 Expand
  59. Mar 14, 2013
    First impressions of Assassin's Creed III is that it's amazing. It's beautiful. The intro although a bit too long lays the foundation for something epic. But that's about it story wise. And for a series that depends so heavily on a story, this is devastating for AC3. I spend the entire game waiting for that extra gear to kick in, for something to happen that takes this game to a newFirst impressions of Assassin's Creed III is that it's amazing. It's beautiful. The intro although a bit too long lays the foundation for something epic. But that's about it story wise. And for a series that depends so heavily on a story, this is devastating for AC3. I spend the entire game waiting for that extra gear to kick in, for something to happen that takes this game to a new level. But it never happens. Instead we are served this rather bland and predictable story that doesn't really grabs a hold of you. There are no interesting plot twists. It's such a shame. What AC3 is missing is an overlook, something or someone to tie all the knots togheter. You have this beautiful setting but they could have made better use of it. The now famous naval missions are great but irrelevant for the story. There's a protagonist who's rather boring when he could have been so great if the writers would have just tried harder to mediate the feeling of "whatever I do I'm doomed" or something like that. A lot of elements in AC3 reminds me too much of the pointless collecting from AC1. A lot of stuff is utterly pointless in AC3. Collect various trinkets for no really useful reason. And the ending is horrible, a cliche unworthy the AC universe. Was this the best they could come up with? Expand
  60. Oct 31, 2012
    I'm a little over an hour in and it's nothing what I expected, I'm some what very disappointed, I wanted to give it a worst rating but I think 5 is very fair. So far it feels nothing like the previous assassin creeds, it's filled with way to may cut scenes and loading every few minutes, the controls are a little funny and different. It kinda reminds me of some one trying to copy assassinsI'm a little over an hour in and it's nothing what I expected, I'm some what very disappointed, I wanted to give it a worst rating but I think 5 is very fair. So far it feels nothing like the previous assassin creeds, it's filled with way to may cut scenes and loading every few minutes, the controls are a little funny and different. It kinda reminds me of some one trying to copy assassins creed and doing lousy job at it, like I said I'm only in a little over an hour so I hope it gets better, and I'm no expert but I am a Serious assassins creed fan, I played over thousands of video games and buy 9/10 of every new release that comes out so take this advice from a true gamer. Expand
  61. Nov 5, 2012
    They succeeded in making the same game again. It's prettier now but it's essentially the same as the previous two with an even more boring combat system (the old one was already a zero threat snooze fest). Lots of glitches and bugs in this one as well. I've always found these AC games somewhat boring and easy but this one was much worse in respect to combat. I'm surprised there are so manyThey succeeded in making the same game again. It's prettier now but it's essentially the same as the previous two with an even more boring combat system (the old one was already a zero threat snooze fest). Lots of glitches and bugs in this one as well. I've always found these AC games somewhat boring and easy but this one was much worse in respect to combat. I'm surprised there are so many positive reviews it makes me wonder how many employees have metacritic accounts. Expand
  62. Nov 9, 2012
    I love the AC series, but this one was a huge disappointment for me. The graphics are good, i like the large map, and running around the outdoors and seeing the wildlife i loved, but when it came to the game play i hated it. The game starts off really slow you don't play as Connor for 3-4hrs and you get to him at Sequence 3 or 4. There are glitches everywhere in this game! When i was inI love the AC series, but this one was a huge disappointment for me. The graphics are good, i like the large map, and running around the outdoors and seeing the wildlife i loved, but when it came to the game play i hated it. The game starts off really slow you don't play as Connor for 3-4hrs and you get to him at Sequence 3 or 4. There are glitches everywhere in this game! When i was in the lake near the Homestead i saw Achilles' cane floating above the sunken ship. What pissed me off with the game play was that...it just sucked. The whole "press O" to do a counter or break defense i couldn't stand it and a lot of times it different work. Ubisoft should've left the controls the way they originally were. I thought the Revoluntionary War was going to have a huge part in this game, but it doesn't to the point where you forget that there's even a war going on. What was the purpose of having that as a trailer? There are a couple lags where someone is talking, but their lips aren't moving. Stealth is horrible. When a guard detects you, you hide, and of course they come over to investigate, instead of going away right way they stand there for forever. Horse riding sucks, the horses run really slow (they were way faster in the previous ones) and when you get shot at the horses fall over. In my opinion its faster to get to places on foot. What's the point of recruiting assassin's? They're completely useless and i hate the way of getting them. You have to do 3 missions just to get them and for third mission the icon DOES NOT appear on the map. You have to go look for them yourself which is a pain in the ass. Viewpoints.....doesn't uncover a huge chung like it did in previous games and even when you do all VP's the map still isn't fully uncovered! Notoriety....you can have NO notoriety and then out of nowhere guards attack you for NO REASON! It's hard to escape them because there are guards on every corner. I should'nt have to walk/run down the street worrying if guards are going to attack me or not. If you're into getting Full Syncs its like almost impossible to get them in this game. One for example: in the last sequence you're chasing Charles Lee and their optional objective is "Stay under 50m" from him. IMPOSSIBLE! How can i do that when the guards, who are blocking you from catching him, shoot an explosive barrel that makes you fall over? Or if you don't get hit by the blast the guards will just push you down and Connor takes forever to get back up. The story is ok, Connor is a bore and is too serious all the time and i really wanted to like him, but i kind of don't. Oh yeah and sometimes Connor acts like he can't climp up a damn ledge. I personally say don't listen to G4 or whoever that are giving this game a 10/10 because it definitely is not. 5/10 Expand
  63. Nov 21, 2012
    Could of been a great game. Still good but AC2 was by far the best assassins creed game ive played. AC3 is filled with bugs and its just too hard to stay undetected which for me spoils the game. Still not sure how people can see you with their back to you. Still good but just not great.
  64. Mar 26, 2013
    I went into this game with grand expectations. as the first official sequel since the transition to ezio, what I expected was a big leap in gameplay and world. what i got was fun, at first, until the dust settled and assassins creed hit its stride as a retread of old ground, but this time with a much less interesting set of characters, a story i dont quite feel anything for and stakes thatI went into this game with grand expectations. as the first official sequel since the transition to ezio, what I expected was a big leap in gameplay and world. what i got was fun, at first, until the dust settled and assassins creed hit its stride as a retread of old ground, but this time with a much less interesting set of characters, a story i dont quite feel anything for and stakes that are nearly transparent. It isnt that i dont love the mechanics, or even the way it plays, for some reason beyond me, i cannot bring myself to pick the game up for the single player anymore. however, i must say the multiplayer shines, as it has since its creation. the play is exciting, fun and clever, with each game mode bringing something new to the table. exactly the same as the previous multiplayer, but in the context it can really be enjoyed as it is. Expand
  65. Feb 4, 2013
    Since it's an open world game, It's obvious that It will have technical issues such as glitches or bugs. But there's still some surprising problems. The voice acting few times is weak. The story can get confusing. The side quests are disappointing, dull. The new controls are problematic. Oh, and that "lovable" ending frustrated me. However, it can't be said that Assassin's Creed 3 is notSince it's an open world game, It's obvious that It will have technical issues such as glitches or bugs. But there's still some surprising problems. The voice acting few times is weak. The story can get confusing. The side quests are disappointing, dull. The new controls are problematic. Oh, and that "lovable" ending frustrated me. However, it can't be said that Assassin's Creed 3 is not good. The new combat is flashy. The new additions are worthy, most of the time functional. Assassin's Creed 3 is descent, but a disappointment compared to the other AC games. Expand
  66. Apr 4, 2014
    During E3 2012, I was fairly excited to see some Assassin’s Creed 3 gameplay. I felt like the gameplay was decent, and seemed fluent. BUT, when the game came out, I was extremely disappointed.

First off, the fighting system is very to awkward to control. Equipping weapons is made harder than it has to be. Sure it was the same as the previous games, but in ACII, you had the ability to favorite weapons, that way, you could quickly pull out your weapon of choice. Along with tedious-to-equip weapons, response times between button pressed and action carried out is sluggish and unresponsive at times. The game will occasionally flat-out ignore my inputs! These issues, however, are only, if not mainly, affective during combat.

Along with awkward combat, the characters seemed very bland, and static; they had no arch, and remained the same. Don’t get me wrong, some of the characters like Haytham Kenway(protagonist’s father) had interesting histories. However, one of the worst characters is the damn protagonist(Connor Kenway)! He maintained the same tone of voice throughout the game, unless he was yelling, in which he emitted blood-curdling cries. I understood that they tried to make an interesting and persistent character, but if Ubisoft had put a bit more effort into Connor, he would have been a more interesting and memorable character.

In the game, it seemed way too long to even get to the main character, let alone dawn the cloak that makes Connor’s image. I shouldn’t have to invest one hour of gameplay to see the protagonists childhood, THEN play as him. The missions that Archimedes(Connor’s mentor) sends you on are pointless(gameplay-wise, not morally-wise). For example, there is a mission in which Archimedes sends Connor to Boston to acquire supplies for the Homestead. The Homestead is to serve as a safe haven, and a place where the player might invest his/her money into imports and exports. However, these thing are not necessary to complete the game, and don’t make it easier. If anything, the Homestead serves as a distraction from the game.

We once again meet Desmond, the “actual main character,” as he races against time to save the world from the end of the world(12-12-12). “Hang on, what happened to the Templars?” “Oh, he beat ‘em.” “Okay, that’s sorta strange, well why is Desmond seem more whiny?” “To create better character and relate to the player.” “Well, that doesn’t seem to work, why is Desmond’s dad Picard?” “Why not?” “Oh, well, good point.” The game once again throws Desmond at us and says “THIS IS YOUR HERO!” whilst the player struggles through his missions, brows furrowed, asking him/herself, “maybe the game will get better.”

Assassin’s Creed 3 was a decent game, but there are major flaws that keep it from being a great game, or even an Assassin’s Creed milestone. There was an excellent setting(I actually feel like I am in Boston in the year 1777). Overall, Assassin’s Creed 3 is more than definitely not my favorite Assassin’s Creed game.
  67. Apr 11, 2013
    I have played all the Assassin Creed games and was looking forward this one so much, but when reading other reviews was a little worried, so waited until the price dropped before buying! A good choice, while the game is nice to look at it, it is very frustrating and the characters are pretty dull. I have played every game through to completion and enjoyed collecting all the trophies thatI have played all the Assassin Creed games and was looking forward this one so much, but when reading other reviews was a little worried, so waited until the price dropped before buying! A good choice, while the game is nice to look at it, it is very frustrating and the characters are pretty dull. I have played every game through to completion and enjoyed collecting all the trophies that go with it, but for the first time I can't be bothered with all the side missions, this game has really disappointed so far(up to sequence 5), I hope the further I get it improves! Expand
  68. Nov 18, 2012
    Improved visuals, combat, and multiplayer are all a plus. But AC3 fails to deliver satisfying characters, or coherent story telling, and goes the way of another trilogy in delivering a horrendously contrived ending, that for some reason tossed to the side plot points of the past, leaving little more than unsatisfying ambiguity. As far as improved controls go (told via in game email that IImproved visuals, combat, and multiplayer are all a plus. But AC3 fails to deliver satisfying characters, or coherent story telling, and goes the way of another trilogy in delivering a horrendously contrived ending, that for some reason tossed to the side plot points of the past, leaving little more than unsatisfying ambiguity. As far as improved controls go (told via in game email that I wont run up random walls again) there are none, and get ready to love some random walls. I hope others are more satisfied with this game than I, as each person is suited to different aspects, but I like a good story, and the poor delivery killed it for me. Expand
  69. Nov 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay so the Assassin's Creed series is one of my favorite game series. I am a huge history nerd so these games were always perfect for my tastes. But it wasn't even just the history aspects but Desmond's story as well that I enjoyed. AC3 had some great aspects to it but also some rather disappointing setbacks. To soothe my disappointments I am going to start with the bad. So my biggest problem with AC3 was that it wasn't as epic as it could, or should, have been. The game felt like a big tease. Connor was an interesting character but I found myself not caring about (or not noticing) character development. Throughout the game it felt like he just knew something or was doing something with no real explanation. Also it took forever to actually get the story moving. You really don't even start until Sequence 5. I also hoped for more interaction with historical figures and events but there weren't. There is occasionally a sense that you aren't doing anything important. You are just a minor piece in these battles where as in past AC titles you may have been more behind the scenes but you were a crucial part. Sure AI says they wouldn't have been successful without your help but it feels shallow. Also the further you go in the story the motivation for Connor's quest seems to diminish and not makes sense as much. Like with Charles Lee, it is no longer a revenge quest when you find out he didn't kill your mom. He is just a Templar now but you still hate him like he killed your mom. Now on to Desmond. I have always been invested in his story because it is modern and the most easily relatable. You get to some significant playtime as Desmond in this one and they are actually quite entertaining (some of my favorite missions in fact). You get to learn more about the end of the world and the First Civilization and it is all really interesting and you feel like it is going to lead up to something great but when you get to the end it kind of fizzles out. there is so much build up but then the ending just kind of deflates it. Some of us who have spent five years playing these games were expecting something huge to reward our dedication and hours spent playing the games. But alas 'tis not so. Granted it is kind of a twist ending which in a way is cool but I don't think it is the ending this series deserved. Gameplay for AC3 is streamlined. In some places, like free running, it is welcome. In others, like combat, it sucks. To me Brotherhood had the best and simplest combat system. It didn't need to be fixed. Revelations tweaked it a little but not much but AC3, in its attempts to make combat easier, made it more difficult. Combat is supposed to be more fluid but the you might just find yourself dying trying to string together a "fluid" kill streak. The slow motion countering makes you bored, there is no blocking per se buy there is parrying which is okay buy maybe a little too much effort, and fights that often start with three dudes turns into like 50 in a matter of seconds. This leads me to glitches. Like in any AC title there are bound to be some. Most of them in AC3, like in past titles, are easy to live with. But there are a few that will annoy you to no end. You may be totally incognito and then you are suddenly attacked for no reason. Being spotted when you are clearly hidden is also a problem. I had to restart some missions because for some reason the mission would not progress even though I had completed the objectives. Now it might sound like i hated this game so far but remember I gave it a 7. AC 3 has saving graces that make the game good. First off, like all AC games, the visuals are incredible. The frontier is beautiful and it is fun to just "tree fun" and explore the vast wilderness Ubisoft created. While the cities may not be as big or as grand as say Rome or Florence, they are still still amazingly detailed and historically accurate. I was constantly comparing them to their modern counterparts and thinking, "Wow, this is New York?" it is kind of weird but awesome. Also while not always as consistent as it could have been, there is great story telling. Certain parts have potential to cause huge emotional reaction. The new naval battles are surprisingly a lot of fun as well. They take a little time to get used to but they are worth the learning curve. Finally Connor is an interesting character. He may not be as well-liked as Ezio but he still has his moments. While at times very naive and idealistic, he is truly a champion for justice and equality. He is what most people want to be like morally and how we view the founding fathers as (which the games shows they weren't). So while AC3 had its fair share of disappointments and didn't quite live up to its predecessors, it still far exceeds most games. It had potential to be the greatest of the bunch but just because it isn't doesn't mean it is a bad game. I plan on playing this for may more days to come. Expand
  70. Nov 5, 2012
    Assassins Creed III could have been great but the controls and bugs are so horrible that the game quickly becomes a trial with almost each mission. You'll find yourself yelling out loud at the developers, "WTF! Really!!?? A real controller buster.
    Geez. Everything else was done so friggin well but good lord, ubisoft, invest a little more time in testing. It's a shame. If not for my horse getting hung up on tiny rocks in the middle of chases, Conner getting hung up or simply performing WTF actions(to numerous to specify) on just about any random thing, I would have given it a 9. Damn! There's so much good stuff here but the control issues just ruin it.
    Massive ubisoft fail.
  71. Apr 29, 2013
    Assassins Creed III... was one of the most disappointing games of 2012, it was NOT a bad game, but it sure did not live up to the hype it was getting. Lets start with the pros: Good graphics, good gameplay, great environment, and interesting multiplayer. The Cons: Uninteresting characters, Connor is nowhere the level that Ezio was in character development, there were also a huge number ofAssassins Creed III... was one of the most disappointing games of 2012, it was NOT a bad game, but it sure did not live up to the hype it was getting. Lets start with the pros: Good graphics, good gameplay, great environment, and interesting multiplayer. The Cons: Uninteresting characters, Connor is nowhere the level that Ezio was in character development, there were also a huge number of bugs on release day. That may be fixed now, but it is still not acceptable to release a game with a number of bug and glitches. Overall, Assassins Creed III was a good game and i enjoyed it. Expand
  72. Nov 24, 2012
    I wanted to love this game so bad. I really wanted to get into an Assassin's Creed game to see what all the fuss was about, and I've only played about 5 hours of AC2, so this one was definitely on my radar. Beautiful graphics, great voice acting, decent story, and decent controls, all ruined because it falls into the old gaming mechanic of trial and error. See what used to be ok withI wanted to love this game so bad. I really wanted to get into an Assassin's Creed game to see what all the fuss was about, and I've only played about 5 hours of AC2, so this one was definitely on my radar. Beautiful graphics, great voice acting, decent story, and decent controls, all ruined because it falls into the old gaming mechanic of trial and error. See what used to be ok with past games such as Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell, and other stealth games, is no longer considered ok, as was proven in games such as Dishonored, Deus Ex, etc. Now we want choice on how to fulfill an objective, not just told it can be handled one way, and if you don't do it correctly, we'll throw endless waves of enemies at you until you figure it out. This is unfortunately AC3, where if you don't follow the way the devs want you to accomplish a goal, they make it as difficult and as frustrating as possible, until after much trial and error, you find that path they wanted you to take. Not fun.

Naval battles are boring and don't add anything to the story, nor does it fit properly in the context of the fiction. Side quests are pointless and not worth doing. Eavesdropping mission is easily one of the worst game mechanics I have ever experienced in my years of gaming. Overall the game was not that good. Has it's moments, as the fighting is fun and taking down an leader with an aerial kill is always exhilarating, there just isn't enough moments to make me want to keep playing after 20 or so hours.
  73. Oct 31, 2012
    First of all, let me be clear, I've been an Assassin's Creed fan from day one. I followed the development of every single game since it's conception. I have all the games, all the books, most of the merchandise. I even did some internshipping at Ubisoft to work on Brotherhood. I would go as far to say I'm a diehard fan. This is why, it pains me to say this. Appart from Revelations and theFirst of all, let me be clear, I've been an Assassin's Creed fan from day one. I followed the development of every single game since it's conception. I have all the games, all the books, most of the merchandise. I even did some internshipping at Ubisoft to work on Brotherhood. I would go as far to say I'm a diehard fan. This is why, it pains me to say this. Appart from Revelations and the games on other handhelds, this is the weakest Assassin's creed and a blemish on the overall series. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible and has fun parts, but it's an average game that is part of an overall franchise that stays away from the average. Let me break it down, so you see where I'm coming from and to make it clear I'm not "trolling".

The Cons:

The glitches. Oh, the glitches. This game is FULL of them. There have been a few that have made me chuckle, like a horse getting stuck on top of a house or a man stretching out like crazy after I hit him. The ones that really upset me though, where the game breaking ones. Such as guns missing from parts where you need to shoot, being unable to fire, escort missions where the NPC will get caught in a wall, the protagonist just falling though the floor into oblivion, the NPC's shooting through buildings. There's been several times I needed to restart due to a glitch. I'd let some of them slide, but this is an AAA title and there should never be glitches that break a game. This is 2012 for Christ sake. The AI is terrible too. You could be walking down a street, with no notoriety and suddenly five guards will come out of nowhere and kill you. Or you could be super wanted and walk by- even punch a guard- without getting them to attack you. The horse back riding is so bad... oh man. Horses- when shot- will fall over. They'll also fall over randomly when you hit a glich and die. The combat, now different than the other AC's, is like trying to drive a minivan with a popped tire. You'll lose half your health just taking out a group of guys. Guarding and countering doesn't work anymore. And good luck dodging. For some reason Muskets in 1777 are as accurate as sniper rifles now. huh. It starts out slow- I wont say spoilers, but it's about 4 to 5 hours in before you actually get to the meat of the game.

There all a lot of cut-scenes. It sorta brings you out of the game and it feels, sometimes, like a movie, but overall it's not that big of an issue. Pros:

It's BEAUTIFUL. More beautiful than AC2 or Skyrim or fallout. This game will make love to your eyes.
    The soundtrack is amazing too. The ship battles. Yeah, it's a learning curve, but it's not terrible. It becomes really fun later-on

Climbing on trees and free-running are smooth like butter. It feels fresh and natural. Connor is a very easily controlled character and you'll just have fun running around in the forest, The Protagonist. Shockingly, Connor is a really interesting character. Hunting is fun. There's no better feeling than stealth killing a bear from a tree. I can honestly say, as a "hardcore" assassin's creed fan, I was disappointed. I had very high hopes for this game, and I even expected something better than AC2. I'd recommend you play it, but don't go in with the high expectations of the people and reviews that are giving it 10/10 or perfects. I'd go in expecting an average game and you wont be too let down.
  74. Dec 17, 2012
    I have always had a love hate relationship with the Assassin's Creed series, and III just reaffirms that. The plot itself is pretentious and bland, the alternate world of Desmond is an unnecessary intrusion on an otherwise fun concept, when you're having fun in the middle of a tense part of the assassin story, the developers thought it would be a good idea to leave that then run around inI have always had a love hate relationship with the Assassin's Creed series, and III just reaffirms that. The plot itself is pretentious and bland, the alternate world of Desmond is an unnecessary intrusion on an otherwise fun concept, when you're having fun in the middle of a tense part of the assassin story, the developers thought it would be a good idea to leave that then run around in a linear, boring side mission that's pointless. The combat is ridiculous, just button mash two buttons to kill 50 soldiers, it's boring, unrealistic, and tedious. The story itself is anti-climatic, nothing is tied together, side missions are time wasters, run round to a point they tell you to 50 times for some reward not worth having, press one button to assassinate someone then hide in a bush. It's the most monotonous game play ever. It's an insult to the stealth genre if you can even call it that, it skewers history while being incredibly accurate at the same time. The loyalists and patriots are somehow both enemies but you fight for the patriots, it tries so hard to develop a dramatic back story while indulging us in senseless fiction. Despite all that, the game play and controls are tight, and running around stabbing dudes is mindless fun, which is all it is, but it's nothing more. Expand
  75. Dec 20, 2012
    Ubisoft tried to be ambitious with this new game but I felt let down really. The main protagonist is a complete bore and what frustrated me even more was the small story telling sessions that he undertakes in order just to try and fill gaps in the storyline. The gamer should be experiencing this first hand, rather that getting it painfully explained in a dreary, monotone voice. TheUbisoft tried to be ambitious with this new game but I felt let down really. The main protagonist is a complete bore and what frustrated me even more was the small story telling sessions that he undertakes in order just to try and fill gaps in the storyline. The gamer should be experiencing this first hand, rather that getting it painfully explained in a dreary, monotone voice. The gameplay however, was a good improvement on its predecessors, the movements were more fluid, realistic and brutal and the graphics were a noticeable improvement on previous games aswell however it is tarnished by countless glitches. Expand
  76. Jan 6, 2013
    I have very mix feelings about this game. The combat is very similar to Batman's combat system, and it works pretty well, but it feels lazy on the developers part. You attack with one button and counter with another, you can also use human shields which is awesome. The free-running isn't very smooth. Now you only use one button to do everything like climbing and running. This one button toI have very mix feelings about this game. The combat is very similar to Batman's combat system, and it works pretty well, but it feels lazy on the developers part. You attack with one button and counter with another, you can also use human shields which is awesome. The free-running isn't very smooth. Now you only use one button to do everything like climbing and running. This one button to run makes you run up stuff you don't want to quite a bit and if you get too close to stacks of leaves, you'll jump in. Running in the frontier feels great, though. The graphics are fairly good, the textures are absolutely terrible, though. To be honest, the graphics don't push the current generation of gaming consoles at all. The hunting in this game is pretty fun. I enjoy killing the animals with my bare hands. The story is also weak, and not engaging. My main complaint is the unfinished feel this game has. There's just something about this game that gives off an unfinished/unpolished vibe. Maybe it's because the free-running isn't smooth, or the lip syncing is off, or the combat is a Batman ripoff, or the terrible textures, or the fact that the 'stealth' in this game is atrocious. The stealth in this game is so bad it's sad. You can't crouch and sometimes you don't crouch in the bushes. Obviously this game was rushed from the beginning, and I can't really recommend it. Expand
  77. Feb 5, 2013
    The gameplay seemed a lot more basic, yet somehow refined and easier than in previous Assassin’s Creed games, yet compared to Batman Arkham Asylum’s and Arkham City’s gameplay and combat system, Assassin’s Creed’s mechanic seemed just a kind of button mash at times, eg Press circle to counter and then mash square, otherwise press x and then mash square. It was just to simple and the gameThe gameplay seemed a lot more basic, yet somehow refined and easier than in previous Assassin’s Creed games, yet compared to Batman Arkham Asylum’s and Arkham City’s gameplay and combat system, Assassin’s Creed’s mechanic seemed just a kind of button mash at times, eg Press circle to counter and then mash square, otherwise press x and then mash square. It was just to simple and the game was simple. I was annoyed that Ubisoft decided to do away with the health potion systems, not that it mattered seeing as I didn’t die one single time throughout the game (that’s including all main story missions, side missions, naval battles etc). The only gameplay mechanic that I was impressed with was the climbing mechanic, as with in every Assassin’s Creed game. Ubisoft just seem to be able to pull that off better than anyone else. Climbing on trees was fun, likewise was climbing up cliffs, but in the city’s Boston and New York I found myself staying on the ground rather than climbing up on rooftops and just having an overall more fun experience. In a way there were too many guards I guess on some off the rooftops, which just annoyed me especially when I just didn’t want to be in open conflict and just get on with free running, doing the story or collecting feathers, peg legs etc. Synchronizing view points in this game was different in a way as well, mainly as this time round they didn’t show you the whole map, even after synchronizing all of them in the game. Which was annoying in a way and I can’t understand why Ubisoft decided to do that. I mean of all things to change from pervious games, it was one of the most memorable things to do in the game and also one of the most rewarding (well for me it was, I just loved having 100% of the map unlocked so I could go round and do everything in the game). Not to say that it took away from the overall experiences it just didn’t feel like a proper Assassin’s Creed game to me the fact it didn’t reveal the entire map.

I didn’t particularly like Connor as a character, as he didn’t really show any emotions at all throughout the game and also, the main complaint I have about the game is about the assassinations themselves. You have a total of 5 targets to kill in the game, which isn’t near as much as what was in previous Asssassin’s Creed games, so I was a tad let down by that. However out of the 5 targets you have to kill, you really only kill 2 of them. And by 2 I’m being generous, as in sequence 8, which is a linear sequence as you are in prison for all of it and when you are about to be hung, your mentor frees you, you have no choice but to run after your target and assassinate him there and then with your tomahawk.
    The rest of your targets assassinations are pressing a button during a cutscene when prompted (even through the games main villain, Connor’s father Haytham) which was very annoying for me and possibly for most other Assassin’s Creed fans. Your final target that you have to kill is Chrales Lee, Haytham’s right hand man. The build up to his death is good, the chase to hunt him down is what you’ve come to know and expect from previous AC games, but when you finally reach him, it goes to a cut scene and the game kills Charles Lee for you. I thought it was taking the piss if I’m honest. I didn’t know how Connor could call himself a proper Assassin with only 5 targets to kill and even though he gathers training in the Brotherhood over the years, his movements and combat are the exact same as when you get to play as him as a chilld. It’s quite ridiculous.

The thing most people were talking about was the naval battles, which were good but were also very short. For me that was the best part of the game and really the only thing that Ubisoft added that managed to improve on from Assassin’s Ceed II, Brotherhood and Revelations. Overall the game was a let down for me, but it was by no means a bad game. I just wouldn’t go back to it and replay it, like I have I with every other Assassin’s Creed game (even AC Revelations). If you’re a fan of Assassin’s Creed, then you’ve already bought this game, either given up on it or completed it just because you wanted to see how Desmond’s story ends. For those who aren’t fans of the series, I’d recommend that you just buy Assassin’s Creed, Assassin’s Creed II and then Assassin’s Creed III and you might get more value for your money out of the game.
  78. Mar 26, 2013
    Assassin's Creed III tries hard to be an ambitious, non-linear game. It succeeds, and it fails at the same time. While it's combat it's distinctly improved, it's stealth focus is diminished. Enemies detect you easy, that it makes almost IMPOSSIBLE to kill stealthy. Surprisingly, linear missions which require playing without detected and kill enemies sneaky are well done. That answersAssassin's Creed III tries hard to be an ambitious, non-linear game. It succeeds, and it fails at the same time. While it's combat it's distinctly improved, it's stealth focus is diminished. Enemies detect you easy, that it makes almost IMPOSSIBLE to kill stealthy. Surprisingly, linear missions which require playing without detected and kill enemies sneaky are well done. That answers that stealth works in linear environments, not in non-linear ones. Assassin's Creed III obviously, has freedom and allows you to explore some interesting locations. Followed by a deep hunting system, it is sometimes rewarding and enjoyable. The platforming variety is diminished. The brand new naval battles aren't as fantastic as everyone says, but It's still solid. A sometimes game-braking flaw of this game are the frequent glitches and bugs, which can frustrate. Story wise, it is descent. However, I was pissed with the dull main character, Connor. He is unlikable, because he's always unhappy, angry and short spoken. Desmond's story gets confusing. What make things even worse, is the abysmal, insulting ending. Overall, this lackluster sequel is a huge letdown and not worth the money. Expand
  79. May 22, 2013
    Assassin's Creed III is an absolutely mediocre game. Disappointingly enough, Assassin's Creed 3 tries to be a movie, or a running simulator; focusing less in the actual combat and stealth (this is for the missions of the main story).
    The exploration is painfully boring, that immediately reduces the score dramatically. I hoped for a deep, immersive exploration, but what I've got is a monotone playground. The same can be said about the mediocre side missions.
    The technical issues are frequent and annoying. While not highly reducing the enjoyment, it just makes for a flawed experience.
    However, this game offers two positive aspects: the whole story and the hunting system. The story is interesting and exciting, portraying excellently the historical characters that had an important role for America. And the hunting system is surprisingly deep and fun.
    Overall, Assassin's Creed III is an almost poor game, trying to be overly-ambitious, but ultimately failing.
  80. Dec 12, 2014
    I wanted to love this game but I couldn't. I first watched it being played from a friend and found it very long and boring. I only bought it when Black Flag was released and realized I couldn't continue the series without playing all of it, so I picked this up and tried to play the main sequence as fast as possible to avoid having to deal with the rest of the game.
  81. Nov 20, 2012
    Slightly better then Revelations but this will be the last AC I ever buy. Declining story, bugs and broken mechanics. I really thought it was going to be turned around with this latest installment but I was very disappointed.
  82. Oct 31, 2012
    Unfortunately it looks as if its left to Dishonored and Far Cry to impress me. I was TO MY SURPRISE, taken aback with the level of polish in assassins creed 3, or lack there of. this game does not deliver what its theme leads you to expect. what is happening to video games. this is not a stealth assassination game. It IS a poor looking action game with some pretty outdoor areas (prettyUnfortunately it looks as if its left to Dishonored and Far Cry to impress me. I was TO MY SURPRISE, taken aback with the level of polish in assassins creed 3, or lack there of. this game does not deliver what its theme leads you to expect. what is happening to video games. this is not a stealth assassination game. It IS a poor looking action game with some pretty outdoor areas (pretty outdoor areas are my favorite in any game). however even the beautiful scenery and attention to detail do not make it an enjoyable way to spend your time beyond the initial OOOOOOOOs and AAAHHHs. Why does the industry keep assuming that we only want action, and hyped up trailers with ill-fitting hip-hop/pop music. for a game with an M rating it feels shockingly insulting to my intelligence. for being such a GROUND BREAKING game and all, shouldn't I want to actually finish it? then why do I just want to put dishonored back in and wait for far cry 3? I wont go into details about the game its self, there are plenty of critic reviews to get an idea of whats there. another sign of the industries plunge into greed, gamestop's logo is printed plainly on the cover art of my copy of AC 3 yay......... Expand
  83. Nov 7, 2012
    Focusing on the bad in the game...
    Focusing on the bad in the game...
    I feel like there was to much hype leading up to this rather lack -lustre game. Very few improvements were made from the previous Assassins Creed titles. The mediocre graphics remain the same, as does the awkward and out of synch speech, and again, the lack of basic stealth abilities such as being able to crouch This could have definitely been tweaked in some way, but I think the fact that Ubisoft have now leant themselves to releasing a title every year, that it leaves them less time to refine the imperfections of the game. It feels like a very short story, making it feel shorter is the fact it takes a long time for Connor's story to kick in, not until sequence 3 do you actually meet him. Connor is a boring character to say the least, he cant seem to take a joke and is just downright serious all the time.
    The main storyline is misleading, you start Connors story being led to believe that you are playing a huge part in the liberation of America from the British, when you actually find yourself pretty much using the main characters to protect the land your natives live on. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of focus on freeing America, but there isnt enough! Connor was made out to be a pivotal character, but he turns out to be a character that others look past.
    Another issue I have with AC3 is that the beautiful, vast open world isn't used to its full potential in main story missions, you'll often find yourself in the cities stalking an enemy trying not to be seen. Far too monotonous by AC's previous standards. There is plenty more to the maps than that, the lush green countrysides are almost totally ignored which I think is ridiculous, since its so vast and theres so much to do there. The naval missions however are a nice touch to the game, no matter how frustrating they are, I always seem to get a kick out of downing an enemy warship.
    The desmond side of the story has been taken too far, and without spoiling too much, the ending is the worst I've seen in the series; An awful wannabe cliffhanger with too many questions to be asked.
    Its a shame, AC3 had so much potential to be game of the year, I can only hope that whatever lies instore next year is more thrilling, and true to life than its 2012 predecessor, with all the necessary fixes included!
  84. Nov 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. el ac3 a evolucionado graficamente nada mas, desde mi punto de vista an ido en todos los aspectos un paso mas atras: 1º con la Interfaz tan liosa y menos practica q e visto en los assassins, q para seleccionar armas esta bastant mal hecho, siendo mas ergonomico como en el revelations, 2º querian meter algo como el reino de AC1 pero q tuviera mas material jugable, y lo han consegido sin embargo este acaba repitiendose matando siempre a los mismos animales, y el mayor problema esq tenemos el viaje rapido, es decir, que la frontera esta totalment desperdiciada, solo sirve para cosas secundarias y unas cuantas misiones principales pero no mas, 3º Para mi el guion mas flojo hasta el momento, al menos el final de Desmond, la parte de Connor me gusto la verdad, diferente y tal, pero aqi se nota ya una cosa que hace mucho daño al juego y son los objetivos secundarios, siempre nos dicen como hay que hacerlo y si no lo hacemos como nos dicen esta mal hecho, es cierto q puedes hacerlo como quieras, pero a todo gamer le gusta hacerlo bien, y tu frustracion cuando quieres matar a un tio de una forma y para acerlo bien t dicen q tienes q acerlo saltando yo q se, y si lo qieres acer a tu manera pues es tan simple como meterte en medio de los tios y con el sistema de combos tan sencillo los matas a todos en un periqete 4º Al menos yo, no me he dado cuenta de cuando pasaba el tiempo es decir, en ac2 y en la hermandad te dabas cuenta de los años que habian pasado x q lo tenian quizas unos cuantos segundos mas o nose x q, qiero decir q ni me e dado cuenta d elos años q pasan durante el juego, q bien podria habe pasado a partir de la secuencia 6 todo en un año. 5º En el juego vas a ciegas completamente al menos ese a sido mi caso, no me explican ni como e entrado al club de caza, ni donde esta la cabaña q me e pasado el juego y aun no la e encontrado la cabaña de los cazadores xdxd, o como reclutar asesinos, tampoco te dicen en q momento puedes reclutar y q tienes q acer, tampoco t dicen como ir a otro lugares del mapa para enviar tus asesinos a otros estados, los lugares para esconderte ya ni aparecen en el mapa al = q los carteles, x q yo siempre qitaba antes los carteles antes de pagar heraldos, pero ahora resulta q ay heraldos x todos lados y da = lo malo q seas q t pillas 2 cerca y se acabo notoriedad 6º Tcnicamente esta muy bien el juego, nuevas animaciones de todo y demas, pero los graficos la verdad, nose tienen algo raro, no me acaban de convencer, es acercar la camara a cualqier personaje y muy baja resolucion todo, esq ni siqiera t aparece la cicatriz en la cara de Connor 7º Y el error que para mi es mas garrafal es la jugabilidad, ya se ya se, mucho me diran ahora pero q dices si ahora esta mejor q antes o algo asi, pero la verdad, todo sea dicho, empece a jugar al assassins creed x q iva a ser el sucesor de prince of persia, es decir iva a ser algo como un prince of persia sandbox, y eso a todos nos llamo la atencion y mucho, y lo hemos visto en los AC hasta el momento como necesitabamos dar a los botones para trepar, saltar de lado, etc, pero con el AC3 se ha perdido todo eso, esq ni siquiera tienes el riesgo de caerte de un arbol, 8º Las armas, teniendo hojass ocultas y lo q mas hemos usado seguramente han sido otras armas, como el tomahawk, o las espadas, ( al menos yo) ya q si usaba las hojas ocultas para el combate se hacia pesado y lo mas rapido para terminarlo era teniendo una buena espada, o casi siempre vamos matando a enemigos con el tomahawk y apenas usamos la hoja oculta en determinadas ocasiones, que para mi esto es como perder valor en la saga, al = q al final del juego se qede sin capuxa, nos qedamos con un juego q matamos con hachas y espadas y no usamos la hoja oculta para nada, q x cierto durante todo el juego solo e realizado contadas veces asesinatos dobles con las hojas ( os animo para q conteis cuantas veces aveis consegido un asesinato doble) y al = q otras muxas cosas mas que al menos para mi han pasado completamente desapercibido como el asesinato en carrera, o el rope dart que solo lo use una vez 9º Falta de cohesion con las demas entregas, aun no enteindo q sentido tiene la saga de verdad, aqui os dejo mi dudas( ya las puse en otro lado) -Minerva contacta con Desmond para q salve el mundo ya q le qeda poco tiempo (3 meses en la actualidad) / en el AC3 Minerva le dice a Desmond que prefiere destruir la Tierra antes de darsela a Juno, y que ya no hay salvacion que han tenido siglos y decadas para solucionarlo, pero tonces yo me pregunto, que sentido tiene contactar con desmond a traves de Ezio si luego sabes q no le va a dar tiempo a salvar la Tierra?¿ Expand
  85. Nov 13, 2012
    This game has some problems. Like all the Creed games, the story moves in a very disconnected, disjointed way. Out of nowhere characters appear and then, are never heard from again. And when we move back to Desmond's time, all we get is minor interactions and little missions once again. The story left me shaking my head, just barely focusing on Desmond who is supposed to be the prominentThis game has some problems. Like all the Creed games, the story moves in a very disconnected, disjointed way. Out of nowhere characters appear and then, are never heard from again. And when we move back to Desmond's time, all we get is minor interactions and little missions once again. The story left me shaking my head, just barely focusing on Desmond who is supposed to be the prominent character of the entire series. The ending left a million things desired, and I would put this ending in the "Mass Effect Endings" category, because of it's lack of any closure. Once again, it seems like Assassins Creed will continue; Ubisoft is not done milking this franchise.

In terms of combat, it feels great. Definitely the best part of this game, and the killing/counter attacks feel brutal and it is very fun. They did a good job improving the free running system, but there have been many times where I accidentally run up a wall when I had no intention. The enemy A.I. in this game.....is by far the most frustrating thing. It seems like they never fixed the A.I. or even tried. Enemies at time are mentally challenged, seeing me sneak on a ship surrounded by water, but let me go once I hide like nothing happened, and then at other times, they are 100 percent omniscient, and see me from every single angle. Also, how is it that enemy A.I. in every single Creed game have the same exact acrobatic skills as I, a master assassin does? The same exact animations are used for guards when they chase you. So they, (much like all the prominent characters shown in the story), can run as fast if not faster than you and have the same exact amount of acrobatic skill, scaling rooftops like it's just another day.

Overall, the combat and the amount of things to do are the most fun things in this game. However, this game suffers because of frustrating A.I., disjointed story that left much to be desired, and game halting glitches (getting stuck in the map screen for example). I wish I could say that the combat alone is enough to get this, but hold on to your money and get it when it's cheap.
  86. Nov 16, 2012
    I've been playing AC since the start, I had issues with the first game but liked the assassinations. AC2-R had an enjoyable locations, assassinations, characters and story. Aside from some glitches and bad decisions (like the tower defense game in Revelations) AC has been pretty steller. Why then is AC3 such a disappointment? It starts out very very slow, and while i get the idea ofI've been playing AC since the start, I had issues with the first game but liked the assassinations. AC2-R had an enjoyable locations, assassinations, characters and story. Aside from some glitches and bad decisions (like the tower defense game in Revelations) AC has been pretty steller. Why then is AC3 such a disappointment? It starts out very very slow, and while i get the idea of it it never quite plays out the way it's suppose to by the end. There's also a secret M. Nights style twist around sequence 3, which never really worked for me cause the characterization changes drastically from that point just to make it work. There are a lot of Father and Son themes throughout AC3 but it feel like it ends up getting glossed over instead of being the forefront theme that they intended it. The gameplay is pretty good but the end sequence really showed that the free-running they developed is not meant for on foot chasing, as Connor can't even slide over a few boxes just 2 feet above the ground, and he tends to run on the worst path possible. The good thing is that it looks great, sounds great, has a lot to do and is generally fun to play. The story though is all over the place, I never really felt like an assassin as my motivations were constantly in flux. My favorite part of the game were the sea battles, which made me wish it was a pirate game and not an AC game. There's also issues with finding all of the missions as not all of them pop up unless you get close to them, which is inconsistant with the ones that do pop up when you buy a map or sync from a high place. Finally Desmond who is the "main" character pretty much gets the shaft in this game just like all the others, and really who gives a crap about all that since they've done a terrible job of making you care over the course of 5 games. Overall it can be an enjoyable game but be prepared to curse at it over the course of playing though it. Expand
  87. Jan 3, 2013
    Well I just beat AC3 and I'm here to write my review about it. Lets start off by naming some good things about this game. The Story is great! It does get a bit confusing with all the names and people that you know and sometimes it feels like I really didn't know why I was doing what it was I was doing. Overall I will give the story 8 out of 10. The graphics are the best in the Assassin'sWell I just beat AC3 and I'm here to write my review about it. Lets start off by naming some good things about this game. The Story is great! It does get a bit confusing with all the names and people that you know and sometimes it feels like I really didn't know why I was doing what it was I was doing. Overall I will give the story 8 out of 10. The graphics are the best in the Assassin's Creed series. It does have it'ts downfalls which we will get to later. Graphics get a 9 out of 10. Controls in AC3 are a bit....odd. I never got used to Triangle being the fire button for guns. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. Running is a bit clunky because when you are sprinting full speed you tend to run up something that you really don't want to run up causing you to jump around like an idiot. Controls get a 7 out of 10. Now this game as many downfalls. Lets get to the BIGGEST one I found. First I'd like to say that I don't like side missions in AC. I don't do them and never will. When I play AC I want the main story and that is it. The setting for AC3 is HUGE. That is it's biggest down fall. When I finish one main mission in Boston it sends me to New York. Doesn't sound bad right? I mean theres fast travel in this game so how long can it take? Well heres thing. To get to boston to New York you must first: Fast travel to the frontier, but this doesn't take you to the frontier. no it takes you to the beginning of Boston, then you must turn around and it will ask if you want to Fast Travel to the frontier then you say yes and it takes you to the frontier, THEN you open your map and fast travel to New York, buuuuuuut, It takes you to right before New York and then ask if u want to Fast Travel to New York. Then after about 3 minutes of doing that you must run (literally) 500m to the next main mission. THATS BULL **** why can't I just fast travel to NEW YORK!? This isn't the only time either it happens more then once. One time i had to run 1235m on horse just to get to the next mission. NO UBISOFT JUST NO. Most of the game is cut scenes. In fact this is the game in a nutshell; running, watching a cut scene, loading, watching another cut scene, run some more, kill 1 person, watch another cut scene, turn off game, sell game to GameStop, play Dishonored. Overall if you like a good story AC3 is perfect for you. Just bear in mind you will have a lot of running and load screens in between the main story. Expand
  88. Jan 6, 2013
    Honestly this game should likely be considered a good game, but after AC2 set a high bar, AC 3 just falls flat on its face. The graphics are as sweet as they might get on the PS3 but also glitchy at times. The game is glitchy in many aspects. The camera is shaky and keeps you from seeing you targets, the controls are ofte off and not intelligently placed on the controller (e.g. stopping aHonestly this game should likely be considered a good game, but after AC2 set a high bar, AC 3 just falls flat on its face. The graphics are as sweet as they might get on the PS3 but also glitchy at times. The game is glitchy in many aspects. The camera is shaky and keeps you from seeing you targets, the controls are ofte off and not intelligently placed on the controller (e.g. stopping a slow horse is the same button as spurring a horse that has picked up some speed), the missions are too unevenly balanced - too easy or way too hard - checkpoints are placed badly and the freerunning system that had been the staple of AC is more often than not the more complicated way to get somewhere - you DO NOT EVEN WANT to climb buildings and run around the roofs in some cases. Why would you spoil the trademark of your game?
    As mentioned above the real problem is that this feels like a good game that you would want to play, but the small problems amass and mar your gaming experience, oftentimes leaving you frustrated wanting to punch someone - most likely the programmers at Ubisoft. I get why people would rate it as a good game, but I can't help but wonder if they played a different game when grading it above 80 %.
  89. Jan 17, 2013
    I felt irritated by the fact that it took five gruelling sequences before I got to play as the main character, and for being so moral, he seems to put his tribe above everything else, easily being the weakest main character of the series (although I loved his look and combat). The single player just did not satisfy me, I can't really say more except that it just disappointed me; I expectedI felt irritated by the fact that it took five gruelling sequences before I got to play as the main character, and for being so moral, he seems to put his tribe above everything else, easily being the weakest main character of the series (although I loved his look and combat). The single player just did not satisfy me, I can't really say more except that it just disappointed me; I expected more out of it. Expand
  90. Feb 20, 2013
    For full review, visit http://www.tumblr.com/blog/hardcoreturnedcasual

After three full Euro-set AC games, Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed III finally broke the mold and made the trip to the New World. And oh, this is such a lofty, ambitious title.. rife with possibilities. It is undeniably jam-packed with content so much so that the main quest almost feels like an afterthought. I
    For full review, visit http://www.tumblr.com/blog/hardcoreturnedcasual

I really wanted to love it.. There are so many amazing games out right now and I don’t have a lot of time on my hands to play them all, so giving AC3 a shot despite the negative reviews was a leap of faith on my part. I wish I could say that my faith was rewarded. What I got from my ultimate risk was a game that was fun in spurts, but eventually felt like a chore here’s why.

CONS (see full review for more)
    -Side quests and item collection doesn’t feel important enough-

I was focusing on the main missions in my playthrough, but that usually doesn’t keep me from getting ANY item/armor/weapon upgrades in a game. The crafting and item upgrade system was not integrated into the main storyline at ALL, and I actually had to look at a walkthrough to see how to even begin to get a new melee weapon.

As for side quests, I felt cheated. The end of game references your “merry band of thieves”, but I never had one because i didn’t care enough to assemble them. There was that French guy from the main quest… but one man does not a band make.

In AC2 I wanted to unlock every weapon and fix the mansion town completely, because I was steered towards the beginnings of those processes. This was not the case in AC3.

But I must say that my main bone of contention lies with the armor upgrades. Even just for aesthetic purposes! Where were the ancient suits of armor, begging to be unlocked? This omission detracted greatly from the short main story as well I like to get drawn into upgrading my character so that I know what I’m getting for my extra trouble. Then, I can feel powerful in mandatory story missions.

PROS (see full review for more)
    -Hub world-

Hub worlds are a lost art. From Demon’s Souls’ Nexus to Hyrule Field in Ocarina of Time, they always seem to add an extra dimension to great games. To a lesser extent than those mentioned above, the cave in AC3 has more parts to open up and explore as you advance in the game’s main quest.

CONCLUSION: Ubisoft is now a big, prestigious studio that has clout, budget and had lots of time to work on Assassin’s Creed III. This many inconsistencies and glitches gameplay failures is inexcusable. It’s just not as epic and grand as the other AC games felt.

From what I understand, there’s a lot more to like if you have time to sink into this game. Exploration may be a lot stronger without the pressure I felt to complete the main story. Crafting new weapons and armor is interesting and likely very fun. Animus hacks for unlimited ammo, health etc. seem like a great way to extent the games shelf-life as well.

While worth a playthrough and undoubtedly better when you delve into more side-quest distractions, the main game of Assassin’s Creed III leaves a lot to be desired and was largely disappointing.
  91. May 16, 2013
    I was extremely exited about this game upon release and i played it to the end. It wasn't until then that I realized what i just played. It was a mere shell of the original two games. There was an extreme lack of assassination missions (I cant remember any at all). A lot of the game was on the rails and offered little choice for how to carry out your missions. I hope #4 is better thenI was extremely exited about this game upon release and i played it to the end. It wasn't until then that I realized what i just played. It was a mere shell of the original two games. There was an extreme lack of assassination missions (I cant remember any at all). A lot of the game was on the rails and offered little choice for how to carry out your missions. I hope #4 is better then this. Stay away and just play brotherhood. Expand
  92. Dec 28, 2012
    The good stuff: Sprawling environments with entirely new architecture for freerunning (trees), animals and hunting, naval missions, a commerce system which requires attention, side quests galore, and dynamic weather which actually affects missions. If it were just the stuff they added to the game, I
  93. Dec 27, 2012
    I love the Assassin's Creed series. Although Brotherhood and Revelations were simply rehashes, I enjoyed playing it but AC3 was a disappointment, even when I didn't expect much. I really didn't like the idea of jumping to the 18th century but that wasn't the main problem. I spend half the game walking around pointlessly by foot or horse in a arduous journey to reach my objective. TheI love the Assassin's Creed series. Although Brotherhood and Revelations were simply rehashes, I enjoyed playing it but AC3 was a disappointment, even when I didn't expect much. I really didn't like the idea of jumping to the 18th century but that wasn't the main problem. I spend half the game walking around pointlessly by foot or horse in a arduous journey to reach my objective. The combat system is annoying and a big let down. If anymore games AC games release that follows AC3, I will definitely not buy it. Expand
  94. Dec 3, 2012
    well the game wasn't bad good story but connor is like mhhhhhhhh the worst assassin so far but singleplayer gameplay was good fighting was amazing best ever in an assassin game but after you played the story it's like what can i do i mean there is just1 shop wtf + way tooooo short i beated it in 12 hours full synch not good after you finished the game you can't do anything you don't needwell the game wasn't bad good story but connor is like mhhhhhhhh the worst assassin so far but singleplayer gameplay was good fighting was amazing best ever in an assassin game but after you played the story it's like what can i do i mean there is just1 shop wtf + way tooooo short i beated it in 12 hours full synch not good after you finished the game you can't do anything you don't need to buy anything and no medcins damn that was one of the best things in an assassins game you couldn't heel immediatly but oh well just get it from a friend for a week 65 euros no sorry Expand
  95. Oct 30, 2012
    I really REALLY wanted to like this game. I felt like this was a step backward in terms of gameplay, story, and well, just about everything. I have no idea what happened during the development of this game. Graphically, its downright gorgeous. Sweeping vistas, open ocean battles, and some of the best snow ive seen. But all of that doesnt mean s@#$ if the gameplay isnt up to snuff, andI really REALLY wanted to like this game. I felt like this was a step backward in terms of gameplay, story, and well, just about everything. I have no idea what happened during the development of this game. Graphically, its downright gorgeous. Sweeping vistas, open ocean battles, and some of the best snow ive seen. But all of that doesnt mean s@#$ if the gameplay isnt up to snuff, and thats where AC3 falls to pieces. its buggy as hell. I shot up about 60 ft. in the air after jumping a fence. had several npc's floating around above the ground. All that wouldnt be so bad if i wasent for the f@#$ing controls. Ubisoft said they improved upon AC Brotherhoods controls. Well, dont fix what isnt completely broken. Controls have never been this series strong suit, but this is one the most frustrating thing ive experienced since the controls from GTA4. The one area where AC always blew me away is the story. But im 8.5 hours into this thing and im just barely scratching the main the story. If you cant get your main plot points out into the open in the first say 3-5 hours of the game, then something is wrong. The pacing is just atrocious.

The AI has been ratcheted up in difficulty a few notches. Ive been getting my ass kicked just about every fight i get into. Ive been spotted when i was clearly hidden at least 10 times.

All this is adding up to a fairly unenjoyable experience. If it as any other game i would just chalk it up as a lose and forget about it. But this is AC3 for christs sake. Its supposed to be one of the hallmark games of 2012. Ive been pumped for this thing for MONTHS. Im just so damned disappointed in this thing it hurts. On a side note, i just dont get these fanboys rating it a 10. A 10 game is perfection. It can get no better. Its at its pinnacle. They maybe come around once a year. Look at this game and tell me there is nothing that can be improved. Your lying to yourself and doing a disservice to your fellow gamers.
  96. Oct 31, 2012
    Well, I can say I have been really looking forward to this game! I have been a huge fan since I first played AC. I have played AC3 for 2 hours and my first impressions of the game ... the game play isn't the same (they have been working too hard to make it realistic in my opinion), the usual "AC feeling" is gone (you know, a cool assassin, good story, great locations). They've put too muchWell, I can say I have been really looking forward to this game! I have been a huge fan since I first played AC. I have played AC3 for 2 hours and my first impressions of the game ... the game play isn't the same (they have been working too hard to make it realistic in my opinion), the usual "AC feeling" is gone (you know, a cool assassin, good story, great locations). They've put too much time into making the game realistic (and complicated). It should have been a better idea to spend more time on debugging ... I've spotted several bugs already. It still is a good game though, but no AC game ... I liked the previous AC games more than I like this one. Expand
  97. Oct 31, 2012
    Before I begin, just want to state that I have NOT finished the game. Have spent a good chunk of last night and this morning playing the game, and wanted to share my views thus far. First off, the game is utterly beautiful. The landscapes, cities, character models... all are exquisitely detailed and captivating. You may find yourself just standing still and taking it all in. But lets faceBefore I begin, just want to state that I have NOT finished the game. Have spent a good chunk of last night and this morning playing the game, and wanted to share my views thus far. First off, the game is utterly beautiful. The landscapes, cities, character models... all are exquisitely detailed and captivating. You may find yourself just standing still and taking it all in. But lets face it, that has always been a major part of the AC universe. The storyline is grand and sweeping, and I was shocked to start not only as Desmond or Connor, but as a new character. If you are curious how much time this game is going to take.... it took me one hour of play just to get to the opening credits after going through the prologue. Four more hours until I got my first glimpse of Connor.

Now, the downside of what I have noticed so far. The controls are greatly improved, but are still lacking in many ways. Part of is my slavish insistence to use the old controls, hard to break that RT + A free run habit. Once you do, the paths are pretty smooth and Connor is not as Clunky as his predecessors, though unfortunately a lot less likable than the affable Ezio. I have not yet noticed a difference in Combat. It doesn't feel all that smooth, but it could be that it was intentionally this way for the young Connor and the older character played at the start. Hoping this improves as the game goes on.

My biggest frustration this far has been with the AI and some of the button mashing sequences. The AI has seemingly been ramped up(again it could be due to the character progression) and can be ridiculously frustrating. It seems, at times, for being such a master Assassin that stealth isn't an option. The guards in the early Boston missions are hyper-alert and spot you no matter what you do. It seems the hiding spots are sparse and because of the open map plan you typically get spotted before being able to use them. One mission I completed while at level 3 notoriety because after 5 attempts I couldn't get to the mission markers without being spotted and chased by hordes of baddies. While I enjoy the combat sequences, I also enjoy the stealth aspect just as much, and it is aggravating having to replay missions over and over again because you can't disappear into the crowd as easily as previous titles. I like a challenge as much as the next guy, but lets face it, there is such thing as TOO MUCH.

Other frustrations come from in-game sequences such as lock-picking and on rails fight sequences. To pick a lock, you have to rotate LS to a certain point and hold it, then rotate RS to a point and hold it, and then Mash RT repeatedly. If you let up on the sticks at all, you have to start back at square 1. Almost threw my controller 3 minutes into the game. I am not a fan of "Button Mashing Sequences" (Press A then Y then X repeatedly, etc). These flash so quickly up onto the screen that you tend to miss the direction. You can figure out the pattern, but it is frustrating to be sure. The missions themselves are passable, but they seemingly set you up to fail the sub-challenges. I enjoy trying to get full sync on the missions, and there are times on this game where that feels impossible. On one mission, for example, you aren't supposed to kill any guards, but you have to collect a map from inside a tent. One guard stands directly in front of the tent and patrols a 3 foot path across the entry. If there is a way to distract him and send him away, the game didn't tell me. After multiple replays (again, the guards have an uncanny ability to spot you(and in this stage you are playing as a supposed "master"), I had no choice but to assassinate the guard, failing 2/3 sub-challenges on the mission. I had NO desire to go back and replay. On another mission you are supposed to make a river rescue without touching the water... Connor immediately jumped straight into the water after the cut scene.

I have voiced my concerns, but don't feel like I am saying the game is inherently bad. It has some frustrating aspects to be sure. The thing is, the game is still fun and exciting. I still enjoy traversing the environment and the story. I am looking forward to seeing what happens next. Time will tell as to how I ultimately feel about this game. Right now I am enjoying it, but have had some very frustrating moments. I love the challenge of games, but to me it isn't fun having to replay missions over and over again. If it continues, it may turn out that this title ends up collecting dust on my shelf as I move on to BO II or other titles coming out. So far it is worth the investment... but I would caution buyers that you need to be patient with it. If you are not willing to work your way through the lengthy intro to get to the main character... this game may not be for you.

*Note- I had this nicely spaced out and paragraphed... MetaCritic forces it into a Wall of Text. FAIL.
  98. Nov 1, 2012
    This game was a big let down. They made the mistake of promising a new AC game every year, and made a bigger mistake of actually fulfilling that promise. This game isn't finished, a AAA title should not have the amount of bugs or AI problems that this game has. The AI is absolutely terrible and incredibly inconsistent, there are times where the guards will spot you from a mile away,This game was a big let down. They made the mistake of promising a new AC game every year, and made a bigger mistake of actually fulfilling that promise. This game isn't finished, a AAA title should not have the amount of bugs or AI problems that this game has. The AI is absolutely terrible and incredibly inconsistent, there are times where the guards will spot you from a mile away, even when incognito, and others where you can kill a guard 3 feet in front of another one, and he just stands there. The guards also get stuck on objects often, making it difficult to escape undetected.

The bugs and AI are actually not even the biggest problem with the game. The first 5 sequences are way too long, they could have cut 2/3s of the game play out and you would have gotten the same story. Its basically a very long tutorial, which in the 5th iteration of a game isn't needed. Especially when you can learn all of it from the animus tutorials. In previous Assassins Creed games it felt that the story missions were leading you to the climax of the story, in this game it feels like they are only there to kill time before you get to the end. The story also seems as though it was written by a group of people who didn't communicate with each other, they just wrote their own parts and stapled them all together, its just too random in parts. Much of the game is just filler, you listen to the historical characters talk for longer before a mission starts, than the time it takes to actually complete the mission.

Now the controls, this is a personal pet peeve of mine and im sure not everyone had the same problem. After you make four games with basically the same controls, why would you change the combat controls for the fifth game. Why fix what wasn't broken, I agree combat was very easy in the previous games, but you didn't make it any harder you just annoy the people who are used the the old controls until they get used to the new ones.

Another annoyance I had was that the had Conner speaking Iroquois too often in the early parts of his story. This wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't have him and the others speak 5 words per minute. They didn't have Ezio speak Italian often, which is spoken quickly, and they rarely had Altair speak Arabic, which is also a quickly spoken language. I actually had to skip a few cut scenes which luckily they allow you to do, because they were painful to sit though.

This game wasn't finished, but they released it anyway, guess thats what happens when you give out the release date 6 months in advance. I prefer Valves way of doing things, delay until its done right.
  99. Nov 1, 2012
    I love the AC series, and although I was iffy on whether or not this one would manage to tie in well enough with it's predecessors, I was very excited to receive it yesterday. That is, until the gameplay started. The visuals alone save this game from an abysmal rating from me. They are truly amazing, and the developers managed one of the best looking games I have ever seen.I love the AC series, and although I was iffy on whether or not this one would manage to tie in well enough with it's predecessors, I was very excited to receive it yesterday. That is, until the gameplay started. The visuals alone save this game from an abysmal rating from me. They are truly amazing, and the developers managed one of the best looking games I have ever seen. Unfortunately, the greatness ends there. The rest isn't all horrifying; some of it is just boring. I like games that I enjoy watching others play. I loved Ezio and his story; Connor, while new and slightly interesting, seems to fall a little flat in comparison. I think I payed attention for the first half-hour of gameplay when we got it yesterday, and then I tuned out. Cut scenes, while nice, need to be limited. I don't think it's necessary to spend 5 minutes of a 12 minute mission watching the characters do their own thing. The new controls are not a favorite of mine; granted, mostly because I don't particularly like change in things that work well for me, but part is due to the fact that you are continuing a tradition containing 4 predecessors. Lock picking has to be my #1 pet peeve for this game. It is irritating and redundant. And the glitches!! Why show peg legs on my map when while trying to get them i fall off a cliff, land in a black spot with no way to get out, and have to commit suicide to get unstuck? How is it possible to get a AAA for this subpar, painfully flawed, and obviously half-finished pile of s***? Seriously, I hate to give up on this series, because until now it has been a great ride, but I pray that they're smart enough to end this joke. Expand
  100. Nov 6, 2012
    you know, i honestly can't decide if i like this game or not. I'm playing it, and sinking a lot of time into it, but I have a nagging feeling that i'm not actually enjoying myself. I'm apparently 50% through the game, though i don't know if that's story completion or a GTA style overall completion. I somehow feel directionless. The story just kind of feels like, ok, we're doing this now,you know, i honestly can't decide if i like this game or not. I'm playing it, and sinking a lot of time into it, but I have a nagging feeling that i'm not actually enjoying myself. I'm apparently 50% through the game, though i don't know if that's story completion or a GTA style overall completion. I somehow feel directionless. The story just kind of feels like, ok, we're doing this now, it doesn't feel vital. Or it doesnt feel necessary. I often feel like if I was Conner I'd be saying screw you guys, I'm going home. I'm not doing that crap. Your explanation of why i should help you is flimsy and I'm not murdering countless people on faith.

There's too much side crap that I feel like I'm doing for no good reason. Its like the first AC. they put all those flags out there, and I'm searching and collecting them, and my girlfriend comes in and asks why I'm collecting the flags, and I couldn't give her a reason. There was no benefit, nothing gained. They fixed that in AC2, i forget what you got, but you got something. But with this one, why am i telling this guy to make me barrels? Why am I collecting the damn feathers again? Why do i want to make sure I kill each of the animal types in each hunting area? I don't friggin remember. I've been running for so long that the flies on my decaying corpse finished eating the carrot that they were dangling in front of me.

And why cant i take a leap of faith off the damn synchronizing trees? I really have to climb back down this damn thing? maybe it doesn't make sense that there's a pile of hay at the base of every tree, but dammit, I'm jumping.

And there's something about our portrayal of native american's that bothers me. The way we make these characters speak and emote is lacking something. I just don't have the connection with him that I had with ezio. Even Altair did more for me. For a while i just thought he was a dick, but at least i felt SOMETHING for him.

And the other characters. Leonardo was awesome in the last one. I don't know what it is, but the portrayal of all these American Founders comes off hokey to me.

I don't know man. I'm still gonna play it, because it is still calling to me. But I'm still very ambivalent about it. It may just be that they're making too damn many of these. Releasing them before they actually have something interesting for me to play. And that's the problem. I dig Assassin's Creed. I like the premise. I like the gameplay, and the freedom. But i haven't been allowed to miss it. I haven't been left waiting and wanting. I haven't even had a chance to play Revelations yet. For example, I'm really psyched to play Bioshock because the absence has made my heart fonder.

Ubisoft, take a break. Come back to the table refreshed. Take some time in production. And bring us a game. A good game. Not a bunch of game elements that don't entirely work together cohesively as a whole. Maybe a little deeper in the game they provide a good reason for me to be making barrels. If so my bad. No, their bad for leaving me with this crap to do and no discernible reason to do it. But if they don't have a good reason, maybe another year at the design phase would've helped them come up with one.
  101. Nov 13, 2012
    Well, first off making any game play this well (at times it is excruciating in close quarters) but overall balls out **** amazingly well, is so difficult at this scale it defies words. I would seriously have bought this game if it was for the sailing ship captaining portion alone. THIS IS SO VERY GOOD, THE DYNAMICS ARE FLAWLESS. Let alone everything else you get in the package. This gameWell, first off making any game play this well (at times it is excruciating in close quarters) but overall balls out **** amazingly well, is so difficult at this scale it defies words. I would seriously have bought this game if it was for the sailing ship captaining portion alone. THIS IS SO VERY GOOD, THE DYNAMICS ARE FLAWLESS. Let alone everything else you get in the package. This game demands all time you have to vest in it. The only thing that left me angry was the nature of the way the ending was handled. I can't explain how ecstatic I was when we found out whom the celestial old beings were in AC2m, literally one of the best gaming moments I have ever enjoyed. Taking all of that excitement and ending the way it did was supremely disappointing. I give the dev team and the programers as well as artists an 11 for this great work, script writers responsible for the main storyline get a paltry - fukc youz. Collapse

1. Mar 6, 2013
    The Assassin’s Creed formula of fighting and parkour is starting to get old, even with the ability to climb trees now. Maybe it’s the repetitiveness of the series, or maybe it’s just less interesting to toss crates of tea into the harbour than to hunt and kill corrupt bishops.
  2. Dec 3, 2012
    This review is getting long-winded so let's wrap it up. Assassin's Creed III is the biggest and most ambitious Assassin's Creed title yet, but a few missteps leaves it short of being the series' best. In spite of my excessive nitpicking, Assassin's Creed III is great game and a must-have for any Assassin's fan.
  3. Nov 26, 2012