6.9

1. Nov 9, 2012
    This game has amazing atmosphere and is the best one in the series in my opinion. The problem with this game for me is that the story is very boring for the first half of the game and I tried to stick it out, but the game is just ridiculously long.
  2. Jan 21, 2013
    Much like The Dark Knight Rises film, I really wanted to love this game, it had the hype, the marketing and the media frenzy surrounding it to be epic on every scale. I would consider myself a hardcore AC fan, after the disappointing Revelations, I was still optimistic that Ubisoft would pull back with a superior and brilliant title to the other four entries in the franchise, brilliant?Yes, superior? No, not quite.
    There was concern way back early last year when Ubisoft announced AC III, a brand new era, location, protagonist, and much larger in size to the rest, many had grown to Ezio, Italy, and the vibrant Italian cites during the Renaissance. But I for one was excited by the prospect of the Frontier, sprawling countryside, snow, trees, the lot.
    Without giving away too much, our new protagonist, Native American/British Conor Kenway, doesn't fully 'suit up' until the fifth sequence in the game.
    The story, while attempting to place our new Assassin into the historical events which led to the Revolution of the United States, feels rushed and sometimes empty compared to AC II, the characters are forgetful and bland, and I think Ubisoft may have tried just too hard to place Conor at the centre of EVERYTHING.
    Without delving too much into Desmond's story, some may have seen his finale as quite useless, but I for one am glad that closure was finally brought to his chapter, leaving room for a new idea.
    This game did simply just feel incomplete.
    But the reason it still has a high score is because it still has an excellent backstory, the combat is simplfied again but equally as excellent, the vast array of miscellaneous tasks here are brilliant, whether you're going to loot a convoy, build a homestead, or just plain old assassinations, there is plenty to do here in New York, Boston and the Frontier. Connor feels very assassin like, he's hell bent on revenge and has no problem being alone throughout his story.
    The graphics are good, but not great, the game just couldn't capture the beauty of Red Dead Redemptions sprawling countryside. I found the frontier particularly annoying, the distant hills looked extremely cartoon-like, the game was also, at several times, glitchy to the point of many items not appearing and sound being out of synch with the person speaking during cutscenses. It also still bothers me that there is still loading times between cities/countryside, get used to seeing Conor in a bright white loading screen, you're going to see plenty of it.
    It was obviously great to see another instalment this past year, but the changes simply aren't enough to justify an annual title, the improvements are there but more needs to be done to break the mould and to put up with AC II as being a breakthrough game of the generation.
  3. Nov 24, 2012
    Could have been better but this game just never would have been able to live up to the hype that was surrounding it. I personally do not think that Conner was as good as a character as Ezio was and the guy who played Conner sounded so robotic throughout the entire game. The story was pretty good but the ending was very melancholy and not what I was expecting. But, if you've been playing the AC games like have up to this point, then your already going to give AC 3 a shot. Just temper your expectations going into this one. Expand
  4. Jan 28, 2013
    Like Resident Evil 6, this game has just too many issues. Too many brick walls. Right when you're getting into it you're hit with some section which has you questioning if you even want to go on. Note: having to take out every bad guy on a boat using the exact method the developer demands, requiring endless trial and error and reloading ten times is not fun. It's a relic of the worst old stealth games. The stealth in general is just terrible and pointless. Bad guys everywhere and you always just end up in a fight anyways so you just stop trying stealth at all. Incredible world and many amazing sections make the game good overall, but forget about the polish, just as the developers did. Expand
  5. Dec 21, 2012
    Everything (that we've learned to love and hate) is here. Gameplay, graphics, mechanics, we all know what to expect. Does this mean A3 is more of the same? No. And this is why I'm giving it a positive review. A3 is a breath of fresh air, even though it's pretty much the same game from before. It's the small tweaks that made the difference. The environment (finally leaving old Europe) is gorgeous, with a beautiful scenery and an open world that reminded me of Red Dead Redemption. The whole concept is fantastic as well (the assassins and the templars involved with the American Revolution). The new character, Connor (it's impossible to write his Indigenous name) is an interesting one, with a charm of his own; and it's great to play with someone else then Ezio. Another great addition are the naval battles, which function as the best mini-game in the series so far. I don't know where Ubi is taking this franchise but this time, at least, they really offered something with a new taste. And, for me, gave the series some lifetime to burn. Not the best game in the world (and not the best game of 2012) but a great game nevertheless. Must not be missed. Expand
  6. Nov 2, 2012
    i love this game it so good more little side quest and main character is british dude which frankly sound little like patrick stewart from american dad anyways it has good killing moves but overall the controller bit meh. The was glitches in game that they could fix.

but still overall 10 out of 10
  7. Dec 22, 2013
    While Assassin's Creed III has great combat, a visually stunning world, and a lot to do, the game has some huge, fatal flaws that detract from the enjoyment. Slow pacing, bad story, and an overwhelming amount of content hold Assassin's Creed III back from the greatness the previous entries achieved.
  8. Sep 1, 2013
    This game turned out to be exceptionally poor.After a boring 4 hour prologue,AC3 hardly improves at all.By the time you get to where you should have been after an hour,you'll be so bored that just getting the Assassins outfit will feel like an achievement.As with all games in this series,it's the Animus that breaks the illusion that this is,in fact, a game and reminds you every few moments that this is not a real world.Graphics,voice-work,animation and story are all quite average and the less said about the combat the better.A yearly money grab from a company who have a golden goose.Sad... Expand
  9. Nov 20, 2013
    Que decir de unas de las decepciones mas grandes de mi vida, lo anunciaron por todos sitios, publicidad y mas publicidad, para indicar lo que seria el mejor juego de la saga, hoy puedo decir que es de largo peor que el Assassins Creed 2, con eso es suficiente como para saber que Ubisoft se ha cargado una saga, es mas de lo mismo pero peor, repetitivo, sin sentido y absurdo, solo le salva los graficos y el doblaje, por lo demás, es un juego mas. No lo recomiendo, me gaste 100 euros en la edicion especial y la he vendido, si, ¿porque? Porque es una verguenza como me han engañado, me he sentido estafado, ultrajado, jamás volvere a comprar un Assassins. Expand
  10. Nov 1, 2012
    Assassin's Creed 3 is a good game, it's probably the best in the series. The game looks great and the controls are smooth. I found a few bugs,but nothing too serious. It pretty well improved on almost every aspect. Although they improved on many things, it still feels like the same game as before,which isn't a problem but it's more of a been there done that. Then again it's hard to find originality today anyway. This game reminded me a bit like Red Dead Redemption, and I shouldn't have to explain why, then again it's not a bad thing. The game still looks great,sounds great and plays smooth, I give it an 8 because I have played better games than this which are more fun. This game IS fun but I do not think it deserves a perfect score. The negative reviews on this game do not make any sense. A game where it controls bad,looks awful and isn't fun, should get a low score. This game has all the elements for a good game,there is nothing wrong with it in terms of playability. I found the game to be a little ont he easy side, but then again, most games today like to cater to the casual gamer anyway. It is really a personal preference, but by no means does this game deserve a 0-6 or even a 10. It's just a solid game and it's worth a look. If you loved the other AC games, then you will love this one even more. If you did not like the other AC games, then you wont like this one either.... 8/10 - Great! Expand
  11. Nov 8, 2012
    In Assasin's Creed III, you are someone who looks lile a drug dealer with something to hide. Despite that, you seem to be in the past as everyone looks like they're in the 1700s, except for you, of course. The gameplay is ridiculously boring and I claim this as the most overrated game of 2012.
  12. Apr 12, 2013
    with all the hype for this game, 10 minutes in, you realize it's the same game as 1 and 2. Nothing to see here people climb buildings and jumping off was fun the first time I did it in assasins creed, not much anymore. I would recommend buy if you've never played Ac, but i've played ac 1 and 2; but never got the drive to finish after an hour or so of the same old same old.
  13. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Updated new engine which looks absolutely wonderful. Environments, whether change, character models, character movement, are all superb. Although this is the second time they changed the character models, Desmond and the gang look different than in previous games. Nothing really to complain about, they still looked like an upgrade. 10.

Sound: The games theme fits with
    the time it takes place in (during the American Revolution), and the voice acting is good. 10.

Gameplay: The gameplay has also changed, but it is still somewhat similar but in a good way. No longer do you have to hold x while sprinting. Anyway, the game mechanics now allow for a larger sandbox feel. You can now climb around in trees, hunt animals, and various extras that turn Assassins Creed 3 into the new Skyrim. The combat system is a lot more challenging and feels a lot better than in previous games. Counter takes timing, and stronger foes won't go down just with a counter, you may have to tap x to break their defense first. Still, the combat is still simple once you're used to it. Missions now are a variety, and no longer repetitive. Also, the game adds naval battles, which is really stunning, and they mix it in very well, never making it feel like a chore. 10.

Story: The story unravels quite well, and isn't as predictable. The game still features the main storyline with Desmond, and adds a new animus storyline featuring a Native American named Connor. The games ending is strong, but still in a way that can leave more in the franchise to dish out. Still, it was a superb game from start to finish. Well actually the first 3 or 4 acts were slow, but give the game time, and when it starts it continues to be entertaining. 10.

Lasting Appeal: Buy the game, lasts about 10-12 hours only the story missions, plus theres a bunch of side stories (came with the PS3 version), and extras to collect. 10.

Overall Score: 10 out of 10.
  14. May 25, 2013
    I don't really know what to say for this, but I think the word "Boring" is right for this game. I really thought we would get a "fun" Assassin's Creed game after Revelations. Instead, I got a useless excuse to learn a new history lesson. MP is still crap and should be removed from the franchise for good reasons.
    Note: I didn't even bother playing the game after chapter 4.
    (sigh) Well, on
    to the next one. Expand
  15. Oct 31, 2012
    Assassin's Creed III takes everything that worked well in previous titles, sprinkled in a touch of Red Dead Redemption, tweaked thecombat to be as smooth as Batman: Arkham City, borrowed the cinematic and character development of Uncharted 2, and polished it all off to be one of, if not the very best, game of 2012.
  16. Nov 2, 2012
    It's sad really, it's sad how people troll games that compete with thier favourite games, Yes, this game isn't perfect, Yes, Connor (the protagonist) isn't really that good compared to Ezio/Altair, but it's the best game this year along with Max Payne 3 and that is obvious imo, if you deny that you're simply a biased fanboy for another series, i gave this a 10 to counter all those negarive 0's from trolls, my real score is 8.5/10. Expand
  17. Sep 28, 2013
    "Assassin's Creed III" en mi opinión el mejor de la franquicia; es porque ésta vez todo es totalmente mejorado: los gráficos, la historia, las ciudades, los personajes son más interesantes y demás. Sería un juego perfecto, pero solo le resté un punto por su final, si bien no es malo, es de todas maneras muy insatisfactorio.
  18. Dec 7, 2012
    Finally, Assassin's Creed gets some renovation. After 2 COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY half-sequels, half-add-ons a full-scale part of the franchise is out. But does it live up to the expectations of the grand ending of the trilogy? Not quite. Firstly, the story. AC3 introduces a new era - American Revolution, and with it, a new character - Connor Kenway (who also has some long unpronounceable Indian name) The main plot is quite alright, with Ubisoft actually fulfilling the promise not to make the game pro-american. It's not, you have to fight against the patriots as well as the redcoats and the Founding Fathers aren't idealised at all, with George Washington himself being shown as a weak leader and a poor tactician. I personally don't have problems with the main character (and I certainly don't find him worse than the overrated Ezio Auditore), but one thing can't be denied - when compared to his own father (who serves as a secondary protagonist for like, 4 hours of gameplay), he lacks his charm and charisma. If Ubisoft decides to make another annual half-baked "sequel" (and they will, everyone loves money), they should definitely devote it to Haytham's backstory. However, as for the modern-age plot with Desmond struggling to save the world, things are not as bright. Desmond's missions are stupid and boring, and the ending is totally underwhelming, it's not an ending in fact, just an open gate for a sequel of some kind. I was hugely disappointed by that, since I liked Desmond's story before. Now to the technical part of the game. It looks just beautiful - AnvilNext provides some beautiful scenery, especially the Frontier. The protagonist's animations have been remade, and now just watching Connor climb the trees and jump over fences is a joy. The game suffered from some glitches in its 1.0 version, but that didn't ruin the game for me. Anyway, to the gameplay. It's still the AC gameplay you're all used to, no revolution here, sadly, just a few tweaks. Same lame "stealth", ending with you forced to go into an open fight 9 out of 10 times, basically the same combat system (with one change - you don't need going into the blocking stance to counter, so it's a bit faster and smoother) One welcome addition is the sea battles. Connor takes the role of the Captain of the Aquila, the Assassins' fleet flagship, and crosses the seas, fighting other vessels, while boarding some of them. One thing that I'd like to mention, is the soundtrack. Ubisoft somewhy didn't hire Jesper Kyd for it, so Lorne Balfe took his place. While the main theme is memorable, most other tunes are not, and that is a shame, since Jesper Kyd's music helped a lot to dive into the atmosphere of a particular age. To sum up, it's a good game, neither much better nor worse than AC2 in my opinion, mostly improving over its predecessor. One thing that it shows is that the franchise doesn't need to go Call-of-Duty-like annual. It's the first game in the franchise since AC2 that I actually enjoyed. Expand
  19. Oct 31, 2012
    People need to stop trolling, it's really makes me sad seeing trolls giving this game 0's without even stating one valid reason, this game isn't perfect but it's the best this year, way better than other rushed games that surprisngly, got better scores than this for some reason. :/
  20. Dec 8, 2012
    This game was a MAJOR disappointment. The characters are bland in my opinion, and you can't go into the major battles like in the trailers. You have to stay on a scripted path, and if you go off the path, you die. What happened Ubisoft?
  21. Jan 26, 2013
    Since Assassin's Creed 3 is the most ambitious AC, It is a disappointing title. However, It has some great additions, thankfully. Parkour is improved, allowing you to climb trees and, obviously, you can still climb building. The combat, love it or hate it, is fast and fun. It is changed, but It's still great. Playing stealthy It's faster here. Hunting is a good addition, too. The naval battles are fantastic in this game. But what Assassin's Creed 3 succeeds for, is the non-linear gameplay. Exploring is highly entertaining. The multiplayer is fun, with some unique modes. However, what's the problem that I gave it a 7. While the story is good, the main character, Connor, is dull. He is humorless and speakless, and he isn't that well-acted. The voice acting, is fine, but sometimes there's dialogue confusions. The Desmond's ending is downright terrible. The biggest problem are the f**king glitches and bugs! This game has a tons of them, which'll happen frequently. Assassin's Creed 3, is a disappointing title. Expand
  22. Nov 5, 2012
    I have to say, I was rather impressed with this game. After the inherent failure that was Revelations, Ubisoft made an ambitious but risky leap into a whole new world with Connor and the American Revolution. The story crafted around this period is a little less exciting the fighting the Pope under the Vatican, but it does present opportunities to take part in events and meet characters that no other game does. The plot itself is a little shaky, with various holes in the storytelling, however it still has the intricate Ubisoft feel and is told magnificently throughout the game, and yet again leaves us with many questions at the end of the game. The game-play itself has changed, in some ways for the worst and in some ways for the better. The game is more fluid and has a better constructed combat than before, but the linear missions take away the freedom we had in previous Assassin's Creed titles, which is disappointing. The expansive world created for the game is not only breathtaking but alive as well, which means there will always be more to do, and the side missions have gotten even better. The game is plagued by several irritating bugs, which can get in the way of game-play experience, but hopefully future patches will correct this. To conclude, both Assassin's Creed and non-Assassin's Creed fans will love this game, but it is not the 'next-gen' title Ubisoft hyped it up to be. Expand
  23. Nov 8, 2012
    It is definitely a different AC. There are things that are so different that takes away the fun from it, but some of the differences also add to it as well. Whilst recruiting assassins is a little bit more tedious, they make made up for this fact by actually having a back-story. They do feel like real characters. Especially also the characters in the homestead and others that you interact with. There is definitely a lot more focus on making a more realistic feel to the story. The game-play is good as usual though the combat still repetitive. Expand
  24. Jan 13, 2013
    Very, Very, Very Disappointing. The game play gets very old if you are only a Single Player sort of person. Multiplayer is basically whoever has played the longest is going to win, and coop was rushed and thrown out there and should have been just left out.
    VERY disappointed!
  25. Feb 26, 2013
    I believe Ubisoft did good with this one. New big world and new set of quests better controls.
    I just hated the bugs (too many bugs) even after patches.
    Comparing AC3 with Revelation I found that Revelation was better in story and graphics. While AC3 is better in controls variety of quests. Still AC Revelation beats AC3 for me.
    I'm an Ezio fan, so having a new assassin to master should
    really convince me to like him/her. Conner was good but couldn't replace Ezio.
    Over all, it is recommended to play, but I don't think this one could make you an AC fan
  26. Dec 15, 2012
    I liked brotherhood and number one, but jeese this is ridiculous. Its technically horrible and honestly probably the least interesting. I am finding everything frustrating, multiplayer is good though and probably the best part of this one in opposition to brotherhood. A horrible thing is the missions baby step you until a certain point then pull of the training wheels so quickly you have no idea what you are doing. Mechanics with this series have been a terrible problem but in this game they are to heavy to ignore. Expand
  27. Dec 21, 2013
    ACIII is a desperate try on Ubisoft's side; a try to be new, refreshing and innovative, a try to be patriotic, heroic and meaningful. I'm not sure what the original story was, but there are so many bugs and issues (honestly, it is so far the most problematic title I have ever laid my hands on) that you can't even get to the core of it. An almost complete abandonment of the legacy of the previous titles, ACIII is surely to make more enemies than friends. Connor has some big shoes to fill after Ezio, and fails miserably, looking more like a spoiled brat than a hero you could identify yourself with. There is a somewhat good game buried in there, but because it's trying too hard to be too many things, and fails as far as simple mechanics is concerned, you have to force yourself to find it enjoyable. Expand
  28. Oct 30, 2012
    A series ends brethren! That's it, no more Assassin's Creed in future. I cannot go into details without spoiling, so I just say they pulled off Mass Effect 3 with this game. What a shame to see a legacy end like this. At least the story of Connor was good, whilst the story of Desmond was not. Funny how Lucy was never mentioned, looks like had no clue how to make a satisfying ending. It just come tumbeling down. Expand
  29. May 1, 2013
    AC3 is the best Assassin's Creed game yet, at least that's what I would be saying if the story was better. That is the main thing that was wrong with this game. The gameplay is much better with lots more variety and I love the naval side missions but the story and pacing are the let down here. I find Connor alot less interesting than Ezio and the game tells a good story in the univers of AC but Connor as a character just isn't as good. The pacing is also an issue, you don't actually get to play as connor with his full abilities until sequence 6 which is a shame. Multiplayer has improved again with wolfpack mode being very fun if you get good teamates. This game is good but has a lot of potential Expand
  30. Dec 29, 2012
    Expected much more than I got. It really is unfortunate that they'd incorporate such a bad ending in an attempt to milk the series in the future. Don't expect anything groundbreaking.
  31. Jun 17, 2014
    This is often considered the Worst of the series by many, though mostly because the other games are so great.
    Personally I disagree, I found Revelations a far weaker game than AC3.

First and foremost this game is a Red Dead Redemption clone, and a decent one at that. The atmosphere is pretty similar, and with the mix of cities it feels similar enough to an Assassins Creed game to fit
    in.
    However this game is as loosely an Assassin's Creed game as you can get. There's no Creed, you're barely an Assassin, everything you remember from the previous games has been changed. From the controls to the Atmosphere. From the scenery, to the feel of the characters.
    At first I was unhappy about the control scheme, but it wasn't until I read a random unimportant email from the Animus that it was explained that as this is an upgraded Animus, things have been "fixed". After hours of play, the controls are pretty much an easier configuration to accomplish what you were able to before. My biggest issue with AC1 was the messy way in which the High Profile and Low Profile controls were explained, while every other Assassins Creed game beautifully eased players into the control methodology.
    The Red Dead Redemption-like atmosphere sucked me in, it was a game I liked a lot, and I found the AC3 story more engaging than the RDR 'story' (more like sparse dialog exchanges).
    The scenery was nice, however there are far too many animation and texture glitches in this game. I mean there's a lot. At one point I even saw a horse-drawn carriage flip upside down- get slowly sucked into the ground in a hellish and horrifying jerking motion, before the horses screamed and the whole thing descended beneath the ground. If that wasn't frightening enough, it suddenly reappeared and zoomed through a building, where I chased it only to fall infinitely through the ground.
    Glitches I experienced range from character arms disappearing and bodies flickering - like all the time (not just animus effects) to in-game cut scenes where giant grass-land textures collapsed in a domino fashion as the main character walked off camera (that one was right at the end of the homestead missions and spoiled any emotional draw the mission created).

Honestly, I found the characters to be very one-dimensional, and while I didn't dislike the main characters, found that I cared little about their arch's (if you can say they had any), nor felt like I knew their personalities very well.

The crafting system is poor, and while I hated Revelations' Bomb crafting system. At least it felt as if it served function (despite me only ever feeling like I needed to use the bombs in one mission which I was forced to use them), the crafting system in AC3 can be completely ignored, and is really poorly explained in the game, with a terrible interface.
    Function of currency is mostly unnecessary in this game, as opposed to others, and makes the game feel slightly more like the original. I found that after accumulating £10,000s I realised I never had to spend a penny until I wanted to complete the ship missions.
    Chase missions are more quick-time event than before, and the large-scale tomb raider type puzzle missions are gone.
    All Assassin Recruit/Assasination Contract stuff from the last couple of games is less centralised and less worthwhile. All guard distraction features (such as prostitutes and vigilantes have been replaced by 'rioters', however I never found a use for these as there's no one that you need to distract. Your presence will constantly go high, and bribing heralds and such will only buy you a short while before something causes another mass chase, and like the last few games, hiding spots are mostly useless once you're detected, so you just have to start killing or running.
    The ship missions are another mini game that they've tried to introduce, akin to the Assassins Defence sub-game missions, but while these are unique enough to be interesting, they're vastly underdeveloped, with most missions being completable in a couple of minutes. All the ship missions are very easy, right until you get to having to battle "man-of-war" frigates which were my only reason to ever spend money in the game, just to upgrade the weaponry of the ship.

The history/landmark element of Assassins' Creed is pretty reduced in number 3, so aside from the main story, sense of history feels greatly diminished.

All the Glyph/Custer puzzles and secrets from the earlier games is now gone for good, and while I enjoyed exploring the world in AC3, all sense of challenge was missing.

The overall plot is continued quite a bit in this game, and any time spent outside the Animus is rewarded with revelations of the over-arching story. Although as before - there's no reason to exit the Animus voluntarily, so don't waste your time.

So in conclusion, I liked AC3. I even recommend it. I just wish it felt more like an Assassin's Creed game... and had less cheap-feeling glitches.
  32. Nov 24, 2012
    This game is just overly long, and too boring to finish. I will be honest and say that I didn't finish the game. I beat all of the previous titles except the first one(sleep inducing). As much as Revelations really irked my soul, I had enough faith in ubisoft to redeem it, and make this franchise go out with a bang ... but they instead went out on a wimper. After 15 hours I just couldn't do it anymore. First off Conner, while being the most skilled Assassin out of Ezio and Altair, has the personality that is about as interesting as a brick. The story was not engaging what so ever, and after youtubing the ending, I can say that im glad I shipped it back early. Seriously what is with this year and endings? At least Mass Effect 3 was entertaining up until it's pathetic ending. But playing a game with a boring story, boring character, repetitive game play,and a weak ending just adds up to an epic fail. The only positive that I can give is that the game is stunning. But beautiful graphics is not a game make. Sorry Ubisoft but I no longer want to know what happens next, I am no longer intrigued, because the Assassin's Creed franchise is no longer intriguing. Expand
  33. Nov 9, 2012
    To me it seems as the Assassin's Creed serie has lost their charm. The serie has been going downhill ever since Revelations. Assassin's Creed III does not offer much new, the story is not as touching as the other AC games before it. It lacks drama. You don't get attached to the assassin Connor as you do with Altair and Ezio. The gameplay needs to be polished I have experienced a couple of bugs during fighting and climbing. Expand
  34. Jul 27, 2013
    This is the worst AC game in the series. The graphics are acceptable, but that's it. That's the end of all the positive things I can say. The story is just boring and it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The tutorial takes ages to complete and doesn't tell anything importent. Also where has the stealth gone? Also, the lack of detail... Hiding in the thinest bushes ever, and nobody can see you there. How is that realistic? There are way too many bugs and glitches, even after patches. The tree running or whatever you want to call it is just horrible. Characters are horrible with terrible voice acting. Desmond's story was bad and the ending stupid. They said the combat was new and fresh and smooth and stuff, but it was horrible. It sucked. Sorry if this review is unstructured, but for this game I don't have the energy to make a professional review. This game is bad and it will be my last AC game, because AC III was the first game ever that I pre-ordered. I never did a pre-order before, so I had some hopes for this game. I thought it would be the best game ever. But I regret the pre-order so hard. Yes Ubisoft, you failed me for the first time (and you probably will fail the people that buy AC IV). Garbage.. So heartbreaking to see that Ubisoft ruined a very good franchise that's called Assassin's Creed, which I always enjoyed. Unbelievable. Expand
  35. Mar 23, 2014
    The Assassin's Creed Franchise has never been one that I've been interested in, mainly because I'm not one for stealth games and prefer some more direct, straightforward combat. Some of that may be the reason why it was such a pain in the ass to enjoy this game, but it's not like that I know nothing of the basic fundamentals of sneak. See, the real issue here with "ASS GREED FREE" (as I like to call it sometimes) is that the main player character, throughout most of the AC franchise has never had the ability to crouch while sneaking, often being quite out in the open when he's not. I know that may not seem conspicuous when in towns, but when you involve yourself in the NorthEast Americas trudging through the wilderness, you kind of hope to sneak whilst having every enemy notice you. Anyhow, let's start with the story. I played fragments of this game here and there (despite beating it whole), but I'm pretty sure that even if I got to play the game without missing out on particular story elements, it wouldn't help with my overall disinterest in it. Not to mention that a game that is set during the peak of the American Revolution may scream "Interesting", but somehow, it doesn't. WE get a pretty stale template of a main character both in and out of the Animus, the inner being the still snarky and whiny Desmond Miles, and the outer being Connor Kenway, a American-Indian who seems to hold a pretty dismissive opinion about pretty much everything going on around him, about his Father's plea to make truce with the Templars, the stakes of the American Revolution, about his own villages misfortune of being pushed aside for the war, all of it just seems to nod off his shoulder as "meh". The combat and HUD is confused and convoluted, often do you have to go through the entire motion of killing the same guy if you happen to need to counter another or get hit, and some enemies are near impossible to counter at all unless you just exploit Smoke Bombs or Rope Darts, and since the enemies share a universal stealth detection, once one notices you, they all do. The ability to climb trees apart from buildings assumes that the spaceity of the wilderness is more varied, but it merely comes down to copy and pasted trees that are usually force-made to be parkoured across from. The lack of hiding places apart from their always signature hay stacks is also quite abhorrent, not to mention sort of messing with the context of a particular area too. Crafting and Supplies is also confusing, as to how you are able to find the workers you need or the correct side quests to start such, evidently winding down to getting more "Pounds" to upgrade your ship and arm yourself and pretty much nothing more. The only silver lining behind this small disaster is the Ship sections themselves, as you are excitingly pitted against ships as you can almost feel like a pirate (but that, my friends, will be left for the AC 4 Review). Also, why is it that you have to find some secret chest in order to get silver ingots which pretty much are essential for the one thing that is essential? Anyhow, overall this game is a frustrating little mess to get through, with the convoluted combat mechanics to the directionless navigation to the boring narrative structure. Expand
  36. Nov 6, 2012
    Assassin's Creed 3 is the best game I've ever played in my whole entire life. That's all I really have to say about this title. You can see details from other reviews.
  37. Jan 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think this game is cool because it got cool warfares and fighting moves but too bad...i had nocticed that MOST of the Assassin's Creed series have endings that ended with u unexpected and a feeling of not enough explanation. (Also, AC series doesnt like boss fight or huge warfares at the end) I always loved how the story goes, like there is Present Day and back to the animus. Too bad for wat? Well, i think its too bad that the game is such a great invention but so short. Sleeping Dogs will be the example of Assassin's Creed III. I thought there will be a long way to play after Desmond plug in the power sourse and we will get back to Connor. Well, we DID. YEAH, AFTER THE CREITS. Everytime i finished a AC game, i HAVE to do research for wat the hell happened at the end or wat s gonna happen. I DID NOT expect touching a ball will be the end of Desmond and all. But the reason why i gave a very high score, is because the warfares and fighting are very fun. I remembered that there are canon warfares and ship warfares but...i think they place the warfares on the wrong spot. Expand
  38. Jun 27, 2013
    I had such high hopes for this game, but in the end, Connor was unlikable and annoying while the gameplay was repetitive, recycled and tedious. The only thing that I enjoyed about it was the setting. I'm done with AC games for awhile.
  39. Oct 30, 2012
    AC3 is a all new AC Experience, it has a Read Dead Redemption feeling and the best things that you love on AC series. You watch the trailers, demos and theres no surprise, it is amazing like you saw by Ubisoft. Maybe GOTY 2012.
  40. Oct 31, 2012
    I'm about to laugh at all the negative reviewers because I think they just need to calm down. The introduction of the game is about 2 hours and yes it "forces" you through a lot of stuff, but AC3 wasn't designed for idiots with no patience. AC3 is for those die-hard fans who love the plot, and so these 2 hours are putting you through plot that you MUST endure if you have followed the story previously. DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME UNTIL YOU'VE PLAYED THE OTHERS. And if you're impatient and lazy and stupid then just don't bother. You will love the graphics and gameplay because the devs have put blood sweat and tears into those domains, but the game is mostly for the plot and the love. It's deep and will keep getting deeper. AC 4 LYFE!!! Expand
  41. Mar 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't say that I was expecting much from new "Assassin's Creed". Neither I can say that all previous games in the series were bad. At some point they had their problems that made me wish to see the credits rolling. New changes that we could see in the trailers were fascinating. Ship sequences, new protagonist, wild life, new to the series environment and, of course, new time period and setting made fans wonder what the game would be. Playing as two protagonists, who were on the opposite sites of conspiracy gave a fresh look on the main story. Connor, a native citizen of new world, is as good character as Ezio in AC II, but yet Connor manages to let player understand hate and moral choices more than you could image earlier in the series. Storyline of 18th century is mixed with gameplay in the future, that finally became as important and interesting as any other in the game.
    Gameplay was significantly rebuild adding some new features like quick death scenes using different animation from time to time. Fighting scenes became very cinematic not letting you take eyes of your screen. During the game you will also have to command a group of soldiers that are defending their line.
    Other important part that should be mentioned is warship navigation. Although there are only few sea fights in the game, and it is not a flaw, they are the ones you can't forget because they are epic.
    The first thing that comes to mind when I think of AC III is Connor running with his axe in the grass, suddenly appearing behind enemy soldiers and assassinating them. This memory is so strong that it is easy to forget about some minor bugs that appeared during walkthrough. I would even say, that AC III is the buggiest game in the series (after some flaws in first AC), although these bugs were never critical, but they took me out of the game to realize that I was back on my coach. Probably they all were fixed in following patch that I never installed.
    "Assassin's Creed III" is a must buy game for each AC fan and any gamer who likes detailed and original world of a game. I have to add that 3rd big installment of assassin is in my top 5 games list that were released in 2012.
  42. May 11, 2013
    I would have originally given this game a 7/10 after having completed the main campaign....but I chose to stick around and see all that this thing has to offer. It has ALOT of story content to offer you. And there is alot to do if you want that platinum trophy. The fact that the ps3 version has exclusive missions....I didn't even know what they were ...it didnt matter.. I finished the campaign thinking I would be able to have a fun time earning that platinum.....there was only misery. Exploring tunnels with glitchy puzzles....having to play mini-games that the ai makes perfect moves on. Having the "PLAY KING WASHINGTON BLAH LBHA BLAH" on the main menu and then having clicked on it only to discover I i would have to pay for it......disappointing. The online component.... disappointing. I can't see anyone spending money on such a thing. Getting full sync on some of the missions boils down to pure LUCK. I am not joking when I say that. I won't even grade the campaign story since this is my first entry in the series...but even I could see the obviously holes....I feel sorry for the fans. Ship combat was one of the redeeming features of this game....it was very well done and ALOT of fun. The other thing though to mention is the combat system in ac3. You willl read alot of reviews saying that it has been perfected. Honestly.....maybe it has......But it doesn't matter! The combat itself is so easy in this game...there is no challenge whatsoever....it's just mashing two buttons to auto kill every enemy over and over again. Perfected? maybe.....but it sure isn't fun to be able to take down a million redcoats without breaking a sweat. You take down entire forts yourself in minutes....waltzing through the front door. There is no incentive to use stealth in this game. The times it has you use stealth are the most frustrating things ever....you can easily kill Everything in the game...yet they force you to sneak around and .....it was a giant headache. Alot fo content here for your money......but so much is lacking here. The core of the game is just not fun. Playing for the platinum will only end in frustration. Playing for the story will end....probably badly for many fans. It's kind of weird how I could rate it as a 7/10 and then do the extra side missions and end up with a 6/10....it's a slap in the face. There's no challenge here. There's so much wasted potential. If only they made the combat a little challenging....but they put restrictions on everything in the game and it ruins what potential there is for fun. Expand
  43. Mar 29, 2013
    The sad truth is that one of the most hyped games of 2012 just wasn't very good by any stretch of the imagination. Assassin's Creed III is by the far the worst entry in the series to date and its greatest achievement include making the American Revolution boring, creating a boring protagonist, having one of the worst endings of 2012, and owning some hilarious bugs. I guess I will say the positive things first. Maybe I should say thing. The graphics are really great and the game actually looks beautiful. At least when you aren't slipping into holes in the geometry or clipping through walls that is. You play as Connor, or his true name Noonecares. I didn't much care for Ezio, but Connor has got to be one of the dullest personalities I have found in recent games. Despite having more character development than Ezio, he still falls short when compared to Ezio. The rest of the story somehow manages to be boring too. Many of the exciting moments take place in cutscenes and then you just walk from one cutscene to another. Sounds fun? You're right it doesn't. There's also a 6 hour tutorial. Yep! You don't even play as Connor then either! I know right?! Look just wait for this to drop to 20 dollars. If you must play you may find some enjoyment, but don't expect a godsend. A fantastic game this is not. Expand
  44. Jan 13, 2013
    I don't understand why this game is getting such bad reviews. Let me cut to the chase, the game is simply outstanding and some people are just not realizing that. For me, I am more of a "history" kind of person, so I enjoyed the game very much. I consider this game the best of the franchise, not the worse. With more positives than negatives for this game, I am going for another positive here. Some people are in the middle, or undecided about the game almost, for me, I'm not. The game had everything in it that made it both fun, and suspenseful. I got my hands full whenever the twists of the game began, whenever I saw some parts of the game, I was completely mind-boggled, and wanted to keep playing more and more. I highly recommend this game. Expand
  45. May 11, 2014
    es un juego muy bueno sin duda los que digan que es malo se equivocan es bueno destaca en todo pero no tanto como los otros assassins creed y se retoma lo mejor que caracterizo la saga aparte de la historia
  46. Nov 3, 2012
    Ouch. Another sequel to a fantastic top-shelf series that fails miserably to live up to its predecessors. The game is mindblowingly boring when it's not infuriatingly annoying. Character motivations are unclear, the story is trite, gameplay feels like taking care of chores in between drawn out cutscenes. Technically, there are quite a few bugs and glitches (I kept repeating one sequence for an hour due to getting stuck on varying bits of geometry), and the story is horribly lacking in suspense or wit compared to the other games in the series. Just like Mass Effect 3, a good game to stay away from, sadly. Also, the first time I've known Ubisoft to utterly fail. Wonder what happened there. Expand
  47. Mar 28, 2013
    The result of when a franchise with so much potential becomes a yearly cash grab like so many others in this day and age. After months of hype and build up, ACIII is a shell of what was promised to us. An uninspired story that forces players to clock in at least 3 4hrs gameplay until you even get to play as the protagonist, and even when you take control of this character, he is nothing more than a whiny errand boy with so little to like that I found it hard to watch cutscenes.
    The "refined combat" we were promised is the same one button counter system, just mapped out differently on your controller, and so combat is just as bland as it has been in the last 4 games.
    I very rarely get as excited for a game as I was for this one, and it was for that reason that it won top place on my WORST of 2012 list. A massive letdown from start to finish. And with the newly announced AC4 on the horizon, my hopes are dim for this franchise to redeem itself.
  48. Nov 11, 2013
    Fantastic game. Great voice acting, story, gameplay mechanics, immersion, graphics. Everything is top notch. People giving this a negative review/score have no idea what they are talking about. Somebody thought it was cool to start a "AC3 hate bandwagon" and a lot of people decided to jump on. Most of the negatives scores actually have completely wrong information and/or nitpicks that don't hamper the game. People also seem to hate the new protagonist called Connor, for some inexplicable reason. They are obviously stuck in the past with love for Ezio (protagonist from the last THREE games, may I add) that they cant fathom a new hero having a different personality and morals, values, passions. They simply don't understand him. Some people have also been complaining about glitches, even though I only encountered a couple small ones (I.e. floating weapon) throughout the whole game (keep in mind no game is perfect and these are miniscule). All in all, the game left me wanting more of Connor even after I completed the game (which took me 20 hours or so including side missions and collectibles). Expand
  49. Oct 26, 2013
    Assassin's Creed III doesn't exceed all my expectations, but it's a no-brainer that it is a deep experience. It's distinctly a visual marvel with the excellent design and beautiful environments, making the exploration a joy and immersive. It improves on combat; taking down enemies with a long variety of weapons, especially with the sweet tomahawk. it's rewarding. And it makes for a good challenge of using strategy to defeat heavy enemies.
    Parkour feels realistic with the countless of animations added to the character's movements and wandering around trees is an unique pleasure. And, I heard a lot of people saying that climbing was degraded, but that's not the case, because it's fluid and fun.
    Also, adding to the experience is the addicting multiplayer. It's unique, upgraded and a powerful addition to the game, raising up the score. Manhunt is the new mode that requires teamwork instead of selfishness.
    However, the flaws lower the score dramatically. Disappointingly, the stealth mechanics aren't up to par, because of the frustrating enemy AI detecting the player immediately. It's a shame, because rather than feeling like an assassin, you just feel like nothing special.
    Technical issues are almost everywhere in this game, considering how huge this game is. It constantly looses it's great imerrsivness values because of that.
    Focusing on story, I feel that the ending wasn't a nice conclusion and that Connor is a bore to listen to. But, fortunately, the story is well-written and decent.
    What I find average is the naval battles. While cinematic and epic, I don't find them enjoyable enough. But, if they improve the controls of it, make it more challenging and if they add exploration, I would be more than satisfied.
    Assassin's Creed III is a flawed, but deep experience that dares to put many different elements in one game. While no way revolutionary, it's great. (Final Score: 8.40)
  50. Dec 17, 2013
    To put things in perspective, the only other AC game I have played is the first one. It had flaws, but it was a gorgeous game and it had some good ideas. AC3 is my first AC online experience and I must say that it might be the most fun I've ever had online. The focus on stealth makes for gameplay that is always intense, and getting that sneaky kill after being very patient is very rewarding. I enjoyed the campaign as well (though admittedly I didn't quite finish it). My main complaints with the game are the sometimes inconsistent climbing, the perhaps under-developed sailing sequences, and a few glitches here and there which don't really detract from the gaming experience. Expand
  51. May 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. sure its a big game sure its a nice looking game but does that make it a good game hell no to me this almost made this not want to touch black flag with a ten foot pole thankfully i did and it restored my faith in this much beloved series but this pile of crap is short the city's look bland and conner might just be the worst character ever at the start i hated the Templars for burning down his village and all but by the end of the campaign i felt sorry for them it seemed like they were trying to make the world a better place for once in the end waste of time and money Expand
  52. Oct 30, 2012
    Another year and another Assassins's Creed game which basically plays itself. Yes, making a game to hard and challenging can frustrate people, yet making it too easy will bore them. Good game design means finding a balance between those 2 extremes. And it's might be just me, yet I take a little frustration over boredom any day in a game. Because managing something that was difficult leaves you with a feeling of accomplishment, finishing something that was boringly easy one the other hand just leaves you bored. And a game isn't supposed to bore you, causing boredom is pretty much the opposite of what a game should do.

Or maybe you are one of those people who enjoy to cheat in multiplayer games, or usually run through single player titles in god-mode, because in that case this might be a game for you. For those who require a little challenge in order not to grow bored with a game, better look elsewhere.
  53. Dec 31, 2012
    What is Assassin's Creed 3's core mechanic? Is it stealth? No, because if one enemy spots you, all enemies are instantly aware of your position somehow. Even though there's an indicator for how much an enemy can see you, and it's plenty fun to sneak up behind an enemy, sometimes my character would do something stupid because I didn't press the buttons contextually enough for the games liking, and most of the missions don't involve stealth but when they do it's controller- snappingly obtuse. Is it hack and slash combat? Maybe, because there are plenty enemies in one vicinity at once and jumping in there taking them all out Arkham-style is really fun, but the game wants you to be unnoticed, you know, with the big inconspicuous hood and all, so killing everyone that looks at you funny isn't the optimal solution. Is it the naval missions? No, they're awesome in their own right and I love them, but they only appear in two of the story missions. Well done! You've done a story mission! Now you have the pleasure of being able to do something absolutely **** tedious. So no, AC3 has no core mechanic and remains an unfocused and buggy game throughout. The sidequests are dull too, with the hunting not being rewarded with anything but being pretty cool despite that. Let's just take a look back to Assassin's Creed 1, where it's core mechanic was Assassinating, hence the title. It was repetitive and you spent too much time faffing about, but at least it was a game about assassinating with just a set of tools and a target so you can find your own way to take out the enemy, whatever way you would like too. Over the years, the series has added so many more useless gimmicks that the series has become completely unfocused. I guess I should give credit where credit is due, the combat system being fast, fun and intuitive, the graphics are incredible, the aforementioned naval missions are extremely engaging and I really loved them, the new Assassin's Armour is the best one yet, the overall historical accuracy being, well, historically accurate, the writing is excellent, even though the story is conveluted and barely connected to the original Assassin's Creed story-line, the menu's are really well designed, the free-running is the best I've seen in a game, even though it does get a bit too contextual at times, and it's a fresh departure from the series that takes away the scrambled **** from the previous games. However, the scrambled eggs it took away from the previous games that made them less intuitive and focused, it completely dropped the assassinating bit, so this just becomes an unfocused generic action game, whereas its predecessors were quite original at the time and remained fun whilst also being a bit too easy. This one suffers from being a bit too easy as well, I died most of the time because Connor did something stupid. For an open world sandbox game, this needs to be less contextual, because it gets on my nerves when I cant climb up a wall unless the contextual 'Climb up the wall' button shows up. This was a problem with the previous games as well, I just want to be able to run freely without needing to press the correct button at the correct time. As an Englishman, I felt uncomfortable killng my own men, but I just got used to it over time. See, this is also a problem about the game, its set in a war that's only interesting to American Patriots and to no one else. Connor brutalising Englishman because he's not wearing the same colour as them makes Connor look like the biggest monster of them all, especially when you can't exactly demonize people sodding off later on because they couldn't be bothered any more, or maybe I'm just biased. The French renaissance would of been a much more interesting setting, because in 1775 America, there aren't any big buildings to go free running on and the whole running part is a lot less fun. But at the same time in France there are heads being chopped off, the peasants vs. the Aristocracy, there's a much more believable side you can take without being gung-ho American patriot or gung-ho French patriot. Civil wars are much more interesting, oh, what about the American civil war? Where enough time has gone by for there to be cool buildings to jump around on, war is becoming industrialised, and it's the brutal slave-owning savages of the south vs. the freedom fighting civilised north, and there's a war on so there's plenty of killing for your liking, and hey, they could of had mid-19th century Connor bump fists with Lincoln. Sure, the north outnumbered the south 2:1 but it's better than the boring old redcoats. This game is overall a pretty mixed bag, and if you do consider playing it, don't go in with your expectations too high, like I did. If you go into it with the knowledge that it's an average game, you'll come out feeling satisfied. Expand
  54. Jan 26, 2013
    Easily the game of the year, "Assassin's Creed 3" is a exciting, emotional roller-coaster of a game. The setting and storyline are compelling and the new main character, Conner, has a character arc that equals that of his predecessor in this series, the much-beloved Ezio. The gameplay is top-notch as well, with streamlined combat and free-running. Also, the naval combat (which was the element of I was most skeptical when reading about the game) is amazingly fun. Seriously, they could do an entire DLC of just naval mission and I would be happy.

The only things that stop this amazing game from receiving a 9 or 10 from me is the side games, economy, and rewards. In many of the places you go there is the option to play a board game with someone. These games are obscure, boring, and ultimately pointless as they don't really add much to the overall experience. The crafting and selling of goods is terribly cumbersome and takes far too long to get even one trading caravan on the road (a menu redesign for this element is all it would take for the next AC - the idea behind it is solid). The big problem I have with this game, however, is the fact that you have to subscribe to Uplay in order to get the extras that are promised in-game. I don't have a problem with wanting to make some extra money and all, but if you have a slot for Conner to have a new outfit in the $60 package I've paid for, shouldn't the outfit or weapon that goes there be unlockable in that package? I found that aspect to be the most troublesome of all.

These quibbles detract only slightly from the game, however. Assassin's Creed 3 is the game I hoped it would be and I look forward to seeing Conner take part in other events in American history. The war of 1812, perhaps?
  55. Apr 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Personally, I thought that Assassin's Creed 3 was a disappointment. It's not bad, but it's not great either. After numerous updated and patches the game is still incredibly glitchy and the framerate drops all the time. Weird things happen at times too, there have been many times when I was incognito and the guards randomly started conflict with me. The controls can sometimes seem unresponsive but that barely happens. Now on to the good. I liked the new naval missions a lot, it was pretty fun. I didn't like that there weren't a lot of naval missions, I finished them all in no time. I also hated how in some of the naval missions you were forced to just sail to your destination even though it was very far away. The wind shifts in all different directions even when you're forced to sail a long way and it annoyed me beyond belief. I did think that the hand to hand battle was the best out of the series, though. It was a lot easier and faster than the other games, especially 1 and 2. You counter by holding the circle button when an enemy is about to attack you and then it shortly goes into slow motion for you to choose to kill the enemy, break their defense or throw them. The combat was also a lot more fun than the other games. Consequences come with too much killing, though. The notoriety is back from Assassin's Creed 2 but this time it's a lot more strict. Your notoriety goes up a lot faster than it did in Assassin's Creed 2 and wanted posters aren't on your mini map anymore, only town criers and printing presses. The town criers get rid of two levels of notoriety and the printing presses get rid of three levels of notoriety. I didn't like the story as much as I did the other games, mainly because of the ending and Connor being the new assassin. Connor is a very bland character, it's not that he's bad, but he's just bland. Ezio was a much better character. The ending to me was very dissatisfying, for both Desmond and Connor. The ending for Connor was that he just killed his main enemy in the game and he buries some amulet from the first civilization in someone's grave, then you're done as Connor. The ending for Desmond was even worse for me, after five games studying the first civilization and trying to find out a way to save the world, Desmond just dies. You see him touch some sphere to save the world and then he just drops dead on the floor, no other explanation for the story following is given. All we really know is that Desmond saved the world and just died, we don't know anything about what happened to the other characters afterwards or the effect of what Desmond truly did. Assassin's Creed 2 is one of my favorite games, I just hate to see the series go in such a negative direction. Assassin's Creed 3 is most definitely a disappointment for anyone who liked the other Assassin's Creed games like me. It just didn't live up to the expectations. Expand
  56. Dec 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I came into this with much baggage, thinking the team had gone too far in implementing an era that didn't really suit the previous chapters. How wrong I was! This period in time was sublime, fitting and engaging for almost all of the game. It does take a while to warm up, but once it does, the characters, environments, story and voice acting swallow you in for one amazing open world ride. Although the engine is aging, AC3 looks stunning almost all of the time, especially during the naval missions. My only gripes revolve around it's lacklustre protagonist, it's occasionally sketchy combat mechanics and...it's bland, bland ending. If you think Mass Effect 3's was a letdown, wait till you see this brain fart! But at the end of the day, you're still left with one of the best titles of the year, and one that will be a thrill for anyone who appreciates a game that isn't riddled with the ADD swamped fury that our consoles have been plagued with a la FPS. Expand
  57. Jun 19, 2013
    This game came so close to being better than number 2 for me. It they just decided to not care about people who didn't play the others (sorry about that) the game could have been perfect. Some game-play decisions in the story could have been better, mainly sequence 5,7,8. Some minor decisions like capacity got me mad but besides that I enjoyed this game, to all you bashing it, screw off, don't buy it, its funny how this was one of the most selling game of 2012. Expand
  58. Nov 8, 2012
    This is the worst Assassin's Creed in the series (I think is even worse than Revelations...). The story of this game is absolute boring, specially the past part wich is the 80% of the game, but the Desmond story was even worse... Specially the ending which is specially bad, not to mention all the bugs that game haves, it feels like an unfinished game. If you want a real AC experience just play AC2 and AC:B instead of this game... About the online part, at fist looks good, but it doesn't have many variety on places to play, and most of them looks the same. Also all the customization parts for characters are overpriced, I already have played like 70 times online, I'm in level 31 and I still doesn't have enough credits to allow me to buy character stuff, only skills.. obviously they want us to spend real money on it, also the rewards (videos) for leveling up on the online game are not good as the ones in AC:R.

So, I'm afraid this is not an AAA title anymore. Not buying another AC on the release.
  59. Nov 1, 2012
    Let me start of by saying Assassins Creed II was one of my favorite games because it was such a step forward from Assassins Creed 1. . I Hated brotherhood and revolution because i felt like they where the same game. And they didnt change much at all compared to AC2. I was worried that this might happen for AC3. Apsolutely not.! the graphics are amazing, the gameplay is amazing and they are after changing alot of things about this game. i would mark it a 10 but i find one thing wrong with this game. it sometimes lags a bit ! but other than that. Perfect Expand
  60. Nov 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, I wanted to write a short review, but there's too much to say about AC3. There must be said that it was one of the most hyped games of the year, so the expectations were high, leading some to disappointment. There must be said that Ubisoft took chances introducing new characters and gameplay mechanics in a well stated franchise. And, above all, it must be said that people don't know what they want. If a game is pretty much the same than its predecessor, people complain saing that the developer lacks ideas and only want to milk the gamers. If the game differs too much, people complain as well stating that they sacrificed the good points in the previous game and replaced it with bad points.
    That said, I must say that, indeed, AC3 was a bit disappointing, but it doesn't fail to deliver a fun gameplay, engaging story, sweet graphics and an overall really great experience. The game starts slow. This is a point that, for some, may drag down the experience of the game as a whole. But that slow start server to the purpose of introducing the story. You'd be lost if weren't for the first "slow" hours of the game. You're introduced to the new gameplay features in the first hours too. So, you can't skip it.
    As the story develops, you come across several sidequest, as in the previous titles. In the city, among the woods, farms, etc. The addition of the naval missions was the highest point in the game, in my opinion. It works so well and it is so fun and smooth you can't stop playing. They almost reached perfection simulating sails and stuff. The game is smooth like butter when you're exploring the woods. Climbing the trees, hiding in bushes, hunting, everything works just fine. I don't know about other players, but I found the gameplay in the cities very glitchy. The parkour is sometimes confusing and you end up climbing or jumping in places you don't want to. This is serious, once almost the entire game is based in parkour. I failed several missions because of a failed jump or a ledge. I don't even have to mention riding a horse in the cities. Not only in the cities, actually. It's painful. The horse just get stuck for no reason, and controling it can be a pain. Plus, there's the guards sometimes starting to chase you for no apparent reason, even when you are incognito. Besides, there are moments when animals or people get stuck in trees or walls. It's kind of funny a AAA game such as Assassin's Creed shouldn't have such silly glitches.The combat has changed a little from the previous titles. There's now a counter button, when an enemy attacks you. But it seems sloppy, because Connor hits the air so many times I can't count, but still the enemy is damaged. It's an aesthetic glitch, and I don't like it.
    About the graphics, there's nothing to complain. Is simply amazing. Everything is absolutely gorgeous. As I said, the framerate in the woods is smooth. In the city, there's occasional drops and screen tearing, specially in the pursuits.
    Now, the disappointing part. The Assassin's Creed series got me so engaged because of its complex story, involving history, religion, apocalypse, and so many other interesting things mixed up together. AC3 was supposed to be the climax of the story built upon the 4 previous titles, closing it up in a unbelievable way. Well, in fact, the ending wasn't what I expected, and it isn't a good thing. They put too little effort closing the story and (BEWARE OF THE SPOILER) just killed everyone. I think with myself that this was the inevitable way that the story would end. The first civilization, with all their powers and resources did not prevent the world from "ending", who would say the humans would do. But it seems like the effort from the assassins throughout the games were pointless. I say it again, I don't think that prevent the end of the world was possible, but I expected something far more dramatic and elaborate, just like the whole series.
    Assassin's Creed 3 is a kickass game, and as a fan, I can assure it's a great game. But the glitches prevent you of enjoying the game in full. The ending is not so bad in my opinion, but could've been better. Perhaps Ubisoft will release patches fixing the glitches in the next weeks or months. When it happens, the game take a 10 from me. Right now, it's a 9.
  61. Nov 15, 2012
    The game is a disgrace to the franchise. I couldn't finish the game because of some of the flaws with the game. Returned it, got my money back. Good
    1. The game is very large. For awhile I was complaining about how ACB and ACR had small maps, well this game would surely shut any of those complaints up. 2. There are a lot of missions in this game. Plenty of things to do. Bad
    The
    fact that I can't think of more than 2 good things about the game is a bad sign

1. The combat is horrible. Basically the combat is circle to counter and square to attack. Even the first assassins creed game had more than 2 buttons used for combat. Certain enemies are nearly impossible to kill because you have no clue how to fight because it is completely counter intuitive and way too far from the other games.

2. To make matters worse, the game doesn't have enough assassination missions. The game is basically you running around butchering people in broad daylight. There have been moments where guards will just randomly start attacking you, maybe it was because I killed too many guards, I don't know because there is no indicator for this like in the other games... 3. They took out abilities in the game for no reason at all.

Want to jog? Nope can't do that! L1 = sprint, not L1 + X
    Want to kick your enemy? Nope, remember circle and square are the only 2 actions
    Want to air assassinate? Nope, never opportunities to air assassinate since the game is basically a bunch of wooden houses spread far apart.
    Can I leap while climbing? NOPE

4. Quicktime events. If you played RE6 before this game, you probably never want to see quicktime events ever again. Well bad news, they are all over the game. Random wolf attacks you, QTE, fail you pretty much die. THIS IS ALL OVER THE ENTIRE GAME. 5. You have no clue what the hell is going on. I actually found that I no longer cared, Connor is a boring character with no development at all. He is basically Jack the Ripper.

6. I liked assassins creed 2 the most because the game offered a ton of beautiful maps. Florence and Venice are great locations. Sure they aren't as big as the maps in this game, but they are more dense and full of more life. I think it was a mistake to approach the american revolution as the setting. I want to go back to the renaissance era. Summary

The game is garbage. I gave RE6 a 4/10, the fact that this is getting a 3/10 means that the game is basically unplayable. Sure RE6 had **** quicktime events, but at least the game mechanics weren't absolute **** 50% of my score is based off of the controls, and if the controls suck ass then the game is basically worthless.
  62. Nov 1, 2012
    This game is incredible. To all the people writing negative reviews, are you playing the same game? Or is it that I just don't get mad at things they changed? I think some people stopped playing and just said it was crap after twenty minutes. But moving along the story of Connor from beginning to end is great and I connected with him more than any other character in the series. Granted this isn't going to win any Oscars but the story I think is the best of the series. He frustrated me at times and in the middle it fell flat for a bit but then picked up again. Overall very good. And the prologue was great, it was a fun lead into the story, predictable but still a nice long intro and set up with a little shock and awe to throw you into the game. I loved it so sorry to those who don't. Definitely did not ruin the game. Now graphics because this one is easy, They are gorgeous. Incredible work on the faces of people, mostly noticeable in cut scenes cuz when else are you looking at faces. The faces are a bit shiny tho, minor nit pick. The Levels are huge, and multiple areas like in ACII. I ran through the main story and left side missions for after and I bet I only uncovered 1/3 or less of the areas, especially frontier. And also gorgeous not only in looks but design, the cities have always been great and the two new ones are no less, the docks are one of my favorite views with all the big ships. And frontier is great with lots of vertical and variation on the map. Really got lost in the woods many times, like skyrim almost, not as large as that of course. That leads into the weather, it just adds that extra layer which I really liked. you are in the same places but they look different and snow slows you down a bit which is a nice touch. Now Gameplay, they have stripped this one down I feel, but I feel for the better, they kept what was good and made it work especially combat. no sprinkle fillers like all the grenades in revelations that I never used. Free running took a bit to get used to with the only one button this time and with all the automated corner peaks and so many things to climb on you will run into frustrations climbing the wrong way or jumping off when you didn't mean to etc but nothing more than in previous games. Running in trees and such in the frontier is super fun, especially I was chasing guy on horseback stood up, jumped into the trees air assassinated and stole a bad guys horse, stood up and jumped into the trees again and rope hung the second guy. That was memorable to me. Then the boats! Oh I love the boats!! freaking pirate style and so much fun. People can complain about them if they want but I personally love every single part about the boats. To wrap it up as I am getting lengthy the only bad things I would say is i which they took stealth a step further, like a crouch/sneak i felt would have helped in some situations. The sneak missions i found to be the most frustrating but once you figure out a path then it works you just might have to try a few times. or twenty. but minor gripe because I did feel accomplished once i finally got the missions done, more so than when i just had to run and kill someone, that's easy! So overall a great game and a great experience, oh music, voice acting and sound 10/10 almost forgot that. But so great in fact i'm going to go play some more, maybe jump into multiplayer which i haven't had a chance to do. By far my favorite in the series and a must buy for any fan. and definitely look into if you are just looking for an amazing game worth more than the $60 you put into it. or more like me i got the limited edition just so i could hang the flag on my wall, and it looks awesome! Expand
  63. dpc
    Nov 2, 2012
    To say this is not a good game is ridiculous. There are a few technical issues to be sure, which hopefully will be addressed in a patch. But the setting is incredible, the character development is excellent and it is freakin' fun as hell. The beginning is slow, being an excuse to act as a tutorial of sorts, yet the story and action are still very compelling all the same. So I, at least, can forgive that. Once you get to Boston, things pick up. In reality, I'd give it an 8.5, which is still excellent overall. I wanted to offset the idiots who are saying it's a "0". Come on. But being honest, it's also not exactly a 10 either. What it is, however, is a truly unique experience with an amazing chance to play in the world of colonial America. If you're a prissy fanboy tool, don't bother getting it. Everyone else using a 10th of your brain or more will love it. Expand
  64. Nov 1, 2012
    If ever there was a series with incredible highs and irritating lows, it's the Assassin's Creed series. There are parts of Connor's story that are my favorite gaming moments of the year, and parts where I wanted to put down the controller and stop playing entirely. Like all AC games, the setting and research are the takeaway win. Ever wanted to play "People's History of the United States: The Game" ? Then again, I'm one of those nerds that actually sits and reads all the animus database history. Seeing that history come to life is why I play these games -- the "Frontier" map in particular is just so much fun to explore, glitches aside, like Skyrim with parkour. And I'll say it, it's really nice to see native people represented as something other than cliches and stereotypes. The research on the social and political structure of the Iroquois nation pays off in droves. The story... well, here's kind of where things start to fall apart. It's very clear Ubisoft bent over backwards to show a sweeping history of the U.S., from the French Indian war through to the end of the revolution, and in order to cover all that ground it takes a loong time. If you're a detail hunter, expect to wait about 10 hours for the world to open up. I'm not even kidding, it takes that long just to don the assassin hood. Each and every new feature has a stretched out tutorial mission, from hunting to tree climbing to basic combat maneuvers (all pretty self-explanatory), as if the developers were afraid we'd miss every single detail. Speaking of details, I'm a side quest fella, and the side quests in AC are always hit or miss. In AC 3 they range from the fantastic naval warfare (which could be its own game) to popular board games of the time (I honestly don't know why I kept playing those). Then there's some truly dull stuff, like exploring underground tunnels. Whether the side quests are fun or not matters immensely, because there's almost no payoff in the actual game. Money/Assassin partners are as useless as always, so all this trading and guild micromanaging is completely pointless and honestly a waste of the gamer's time. I don't want my time wasted, developers, remember this. Most importantly, their attention to detail and putting us in documented historical moments make the main missions feel super scripted, and it's pretty jarring to suddenly be scripted in a sandbox. The main missions are the worst the series has ever offered, just from their sheer dullness and frustrating fail rate based on whether or not I do exactly what the game wants me to do. A lot of the inconsistency in this game is a clear lack of cohesion - the guys developing the homestead "Sims" game was obviously not talking to the guys writing the story, and neither were talking to the naval warfare developers, and there was some nerd in the corner scripting AI for board games and no one knew where he came from. They went hog-wild for this game, and just couldn't wring themselves in. I know they cut "Philadelphia" pretty late in development, so someone must've said "no" somewhere, but the game feels, yet again, overstuffed. There was a lot of talk about their new anvil engine, but aside from a few new movement patterns and great graphical presentation, the game feels pretty much the same. Some of it pays off, some doesn't. Was this the... ahem... "revolutionary" new game in the series we were waiting for? Absolutely not. Is there great stuff in it? Yes.. But this is a troubled game, one I was really looking forward to and enjoyed only when climbing through trees to the top of a cliff and staring down at it all from afar. Expand
  65. Oct 30, 2012
    This game is an amazing new iteration for the Assassin's Creed saga, a worthy successor to its awesome predecessors, and an epic tale where you can enjoy the incredible amount of work that Ubisoft surely invested on it. Here the American Revolution feels alive and fresh, and it comes with a multifaceted and human hero: the memorable Connor.
  66. Mar 29, 2013
    I never really felt as emerged in this game as i did with AC2,ACB and ACR since the story is dull and way too draged out to be any fun.
    All the characters in AC3 is alot more boring and forgettable than the ones from AC2 which makes the story even worse as it beacomes more of a chore than anything else.
  67. Feb 19, 2013
    The story would have been almost perfect had Ubisoft not jumped through the story so fast, I enjoyed the new assassin Connor with the new features such as better firearms, cover, and weapons but I must admit, there were a few plot-holes that made me a little disappointment, nevertheless it made a good ending to the Assassin's Creed game series
  68. Apr 14, 2013
    Talk about disappointing. What's up with games today that release awesome bad ass trailers where the character is portrayed doing sick things like charging into enemy lines through cannon fire. Then you get the game, expecting those epic moments but are shattered because they are not in the game. Instead of actually putting you on a big battlefield during an important time in American history, it's back to the same old same old. You easily take out your marked targets and then continue on your way. You can even walk up and stab them and just skip being sneaky about it. I really thought this game was going to take a different step from previous titles. I guess I just shouldn't trust trailers but I was hoping to be participating in giant battles against British forces. Maybe you have to break through enemy lines to carve a path to the general. Instead, you have some dinky event where you press the trigger to order some men to fire, then run over to some other men and order them to fire. Rinse and repeat, die of boredom. At another point you are on the battlefield, and you have to sit behind cover. Cannon fires. Sit behind cover. Cannon fires. Sit behind cover. Really? It makes me long for another Viking:Battle for Asgard, sure that game was boring as all get out leading up to the big battles. But the big battles were there and they were epic! This just continues on the path of "one man army". Another huge point for me is who the hell cares? Once again I find myself hating Desmond, and the fact that I am forced to play as him and his god awful storyline. Connor (animus character) is just as lifeless, where I find myself saying, who the hell cares!? I couldn't even bring myself to finish the game because there was just absolutely no point. Where the game does shine is the naval battles. Commanding your ship, is well executed and by far the best part of the game. The controls are streamlined and easy to take the helm of. Everywhere else though this game is complete phooey. Definitely the last "Assassin's Creed" I'll ever purchase. (It gets a 2 for the naval battles) Expand
  69. Oct 30, 2012
    Best assassins creed game by far! Graphics are superb with minor flaws and glitches but nothing unfixable. The story is in my opinion the best I. The series as well, plus with free roam it makes it a must own game for newbies and fans alike! If you have never played AC it doesn't matter you can pick right up no confusion since you get a backstory in the beginning. Highly recommend this game to anyone and everyone! Expand
  70. Aug 30, 2013
    When i played just 5 hours of this game i gave it a 9. I made a terrible mistake, this game is not that good. It has indeed a good story, and the Naval missions are the Jewel of the Crown. But the game is broken, the parkour elements are Broken, the Battles are way too simple, different weapons means nothing in this game. The best thing of the game, the naval missions, are so few in the story mode, that you can count in one hand's fingers. I am relieved that Blackflag's focus is on Piracy, i really hope they learn from their mistakes, Assassin's Creed is an awesome franchise. Expand
  71. Apr 16, 2013
    I love the AC series everything about it is so fun this one is no different a great storyline good combat graphics and characters a must buy for any AC fan
  72. Aug 13, 2014
    Assassin's Creed III
    Game-play:It has been improved with more fluid combat and better climbing but there are some glitches that are really annoying,the counter mechanic is very well made and makes the game fun but it also makes the game very easy,the best part of the game is the ship battles which are well made and really fun
    Story:A good story that it will take you 11 to 12 hours but
    the characters in the game are boring even Connor the only interesting character in the game is Haytham,but the story out side the animus is better than ever
    Graphics:At last we have an improvement at graphics which they are really good
    Notes:The game has a lot of weapons like bow and tomahawk which is fun to play,i like that the game has 2 cities and a big forest it was really fun to play there,most of the side missions are well made and fun,i recommend getting this game worth full price but it is still far from the AC2
  73. May 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't know how i'm going to get 150 words to work for this game. I'll start by stating that AC3 is not for everyone. Like it's previous iterations, this game requires patience and luck. Luck is where I have a problem with this game. There are quite a few missions that have you stealthing your way to your end goal or following someone as to not be seen. With patience, you can accomplish any mission, but after losing and having to restart missions from their cheesy checkpoints, you will have to rely on dumb luck to make it through. AC veterans will have no problem, but casual gamers will be throwing the remote in no time. One of the issues I have are the controls. They seem unchanged since the first game and have you running around like a car thats rear wheels are falling off. Soldiers constantly chasing you in sheer panic doesn't help matters. I am used to playing the infamous games, which may be why I had such a hard time with the controls. All in all, the game looks great, the sea missions are good, but lacking. After a few, I was bored. The story is awesome as usual. I just hope Ubisoft refines things for the AC4. Being a Bostonian I loved the setting. All in all, AC3 is a good game, just don't expect it to hand the game over to you. Maybe i've gotten used to the wussification of game story telling. It's no Dark Souls, but I would put it somewhere in between. The failure is that it's difficulty is because of shoddy game design, not because the game is conditioning you
    For greatness. I hope watch dogs fares better.
  74. Jan 6, 2013
    Here's what you need to know about AC III: it is a good game. There are some gameplay and visual issues here and there, but it is by no means a broken or bad game. The problem with it being a "good" game is that we were promised something revolutionary and spectacular, and Ubisoft did not deliver in that respect. If you enjoyed the other games in this series, there is still enough fun to be had with AC III. Expand
  75. Apr 6, 2013
    There is no doubt about it. This game has supremely high-production values, especially when it comes to the story or the graphical fidelity. In the sense of gameplay, not so much. See the developers stuck so heavily to the script most of what gameplay consists of is mundane story missions where you tail a fixed target. It's repetitive and boring, providing no innovation at all. The combat is still fluid, albeit easy but it's nice to see how inventive they were with some of the ways you can kill your enemies. The animations and the game world is breathtaking, with the mountain regions being implemented in the game for a new, dynamic free-running system. This for the most part, works very well but it's a shame you're discouraged to explore the rooftops so heavily with the amount of guards that are conveniently up there. The side-missions and other activities lack any real engagement or reason to care about them, they just feel tacked-on. The naval missions though are a welcome addition to the series and fit the era the game is depicted in. The story and voice-acting are good but the new protagonist lacks any personality, he just feels like some guy. Oh, and don't even get me started on that s***** ass ending which is obviously intended as sequel bait. Lastly, the 100% synchronization is supposed to be a set of additional objectives in a mission but the missions are so linear and centred around the story anyway that you probably won't notice or care about it. Overall, it's a good game but I feel like the series is spiralling downward more and more, going onto the path of the endless Call of Duty sequels. Expand
  76. May 3, 2013
    AC III is a very disappoint game. Yes it has better graphics and cinematics but that it's not what makes a game great. The story feels rushed and Connor reminds me of Kristen Stewart...the only thing that I saw Connor show was anger, and even that sound like fake anger. The stealth is very difficult to pull out in this game, running around in the roof tops isn't fun anymore, the guards spot you so easly that makes you don't want to walk in the rooftops...the Frontier section is amazing with the animals and been hable to explore but some glitches makes the experience a bit hard to enjoy. The naval missons are amazing but honestly they became a bit repetitive and not has enjoyable. The combat system feels very slow. Expand
  77. Jun 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here it is- the reason that we play Assassin's Creed. The grand end to Desmond's arc and the most advanced entry since II. The Ezio trilogy is finished, after two great, if uninnovative spin offs. Revelations began to show cracks in the once pristine formula of AC, but now that formula has been renewed for more entries from the most popular historic action game in our industry. I just want to add one more thing before I get into the meat of the review- screw you haters. Those who give this game 0s and 1s. Sure, it's buggy, but so is the critically acclaimed Skyrim and I had more problems with that than this (stupid crashes). Lack of innovation? What do you call advanced combat, parkour, crafting, economy... This list goes on. Now that I've ranted, let's talk.

Once again, the story is remarkable. It kicks off with Desmond, who gets a nice slice of content in this game. I was actually looking forward to the present day sections this time around and even if numerous glitches arise throughout his four main adventures, I still loved his greater focus on stealth and the story is nowhere near as confusing as it was in Revelations (first person puzzles are absent thank god!). Over in the Animus, the real action kicks off with Haytham Kenway. The main gameplay mechanics are experienced through him and while his section feels like a 3 hour tutorial, the story telling is remarkable and builds up to a killer final act that ends in a killer twist. Fast forward a few years and we're with Rahok- no I'm not even gonna try pronouncing his name. It's pronounced Rah-ha-doo-n-a-gay-doo and he is the main protagonist. We stick with him for the rest of the game, but the first three hours are spent playing as him in his youth. He later changes his name to the more pronouncable Connor Kenway and embarks on an epic quest to free America and bring justice. So no redemption or revenge themes, but something completely different. NIce! He is a little bland and one dimensional, but this change is welcome after three games with Ezio. The ending on both sides is suitable. Connor has a little bit more resolution to his conclusion, while Desmond leaves us with more questions... but at least they are new!

Gameplay wise, this takes plenty of leaps forward. Stealth is back, with new hiding places, the ability to take cover and plenty of cool takedowns. Combat is more offensive, with attacking placed over defending. Dual Takedowns are spectacular and brutal. Parkour is a whole lot more advanced, with vaulting, crawling and tree climbing introduced to great effect. The brotherhood mechanics are highly refined with multiple useful objects and a highly advanced crafting and trading system will confuse you at first, before making you realise how great this game is. A dynamic weather system, hunting and more variation in environments are three things that help this game to stand out and the graphics are amazing with the Anvil Next Engine. The new Homestead is full of distractions and will suck you in for hours.

Along with the main campaign, there are plenty of collectibles and side missions, with naval gameplay a new feature that will amaze you. It's deep and advanced, the water is lifelike and while you only take to the wheel in missions, there is a sense of freedom to be had. And the action is remarkable! In fact, this is probably the most explosive Assassin's Creed, with plenty of set pieces and great moments. Multiplayer returns as well, with new coop and customisation features that make it a bit more of an attractive feature. It is only natural for assassins to team up...

In the end the game does have plenty of bugs and not even three years of work can cover these. But I didn't have too many problems and the pros far outweighed the cons. This is a brilliant game and one of my favourite games of all time. It also helps that it is the perfect jumping on point for people new to the series, with the new character and recap being great for new fans. If you have any intention of buying ACIII, don't wait- get it immediately!
  78. Nov 13, 2012
    ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW--- could have been epic, but instead let down by a dull story, repetitive gameplay and sadly ( a first in the franchise) boredom! Looks fantastic and HAD SO MUCH PROMISE but in fact comes out dry, limp and really unrewarding. Bugs yes, travelling lots, terrible characterisation- indeed, but none of that makes it a bad game; it's the promise of greatness & subsequent mediocrity that is the real bummer here!! What a missed opportunity, what a shame. My last AC purchase - and if you don't agree play red dead redemption for an hour- it's superior in every way when this Ac could have been the icing on the cake. Oh for shame ubisoft, a huge drop kick given the excellent premise and buildup. By the way I had this game 2 days before the rushed reviews came ou and mine is 100 per cent complete full synch. I speak from experience. Sad times Expand
  79. Nov 6, 2012
    First things first, I friggin' loved this game, the gameplay feels familiar but also new and fresh and also insanely fun throughout. Visually, it looks great, from trailers and stuff I thought I was looking to be disappointed but now, the world and everything looks beautiful considering that the world is pretty huge and that I played it on Ps3, I'm betting you're getting quite the eye candy when the PC version rolls along.. So, gameplay, visuals and sound, all great, but what can I say about the story without using any spoilers? Well, if the story would have finished up nicely it would have been a solid 9 or even a 10, but now I have to give this game a 8/10, barely... The story is actually not bad, but towards the end it feels pretty rushed and it doesn't offer a satisfying conclusion for Desmond IMO, one would have expected something more than a cliffhanger as the ending to Desmond's AC trilogy, but it's clear that Ubisoft intends to push this franchise forward for a long time. To say the least, I was disappointed, sure it could've been worse but it could've been a lot better. I also didn't think Connor's story was that necessary, sure they do offer a reason why we play him but for me they could've focused all their energy on Desmond. Just didn't feel that balanced with two characters with such major roles. Still, as a finishing statement I do wish to say that AC3 is one of the strongest titles to be released this year, the gameplay and the tons of content (side missions/activities) kinda do make up for a lacking conclusion, so I can easily recommend this game to everyone. Even the ones bored about when Revelations came should be able to find value in this game. Expand
  80. Nov 13, 2012
    Well, first off making any game play this well (at times it is excruciating in close quarters) but overall balls out **** amazingly well, is so difficult at this scale it defies words. I would seriously have bought this game if it was for the sailing ship captaining portion alone. THIS IS SO VERY GOOD, THE DYNAMICS ARE FLAWLESS. Let alone everything else you get in the package. This game demands all time you have to vest in it. The only thing that left me angry was the nature of the way the ending was handled. I can't explain how ecstatic I was when we found out whom the celestial old beings were in AC2m, literally one of the best gaming moments I have ever enjoyed. Taking all of that excitement and ending the way it did was supremely disappointing. I give the dev team and the programers as well as artists an 11 for this great work, script writers responsible for the main storyline get a paltry - fukc youz. Expand
  81. Nov 9, 2012
    Great game! The new location is a good change of pace than the rooftop heavy predecessors of the series. Combat and the new techniques have good additions too. Loved the AC series and this is a good step for the assassin.
  82. Oct 30, 2012
    I was worried at first about the setting but its really turned out to be a great experience. The graphics first off are great. Landscape and buildings are good enough to interest you in walking around old america to see the original cities. Combat is fun as expected and guns dont damage it nearly as bad as id expected. Theres plenty of cutscenes to keep you fully interested in whats going on and who it involves so you always want to keep playing just to see more story. It really is an amazing entry to the series and i find myself hoping to see more games come out involving this timeframe.so knowing i walked into this game uninterested and not wanting such a jump in time setting to saying hey this game is a 10 was a shock to me. But i do love it thats for sure. It was well done Expand
  83. Jan 8, 2014
    Although this is not my favorite Assassin's Creed game, it is still a very well made game. AC3 brings players to America during the revolution and does so very well. It tells the personal story of Connor and how he becomes one of the Assassins.

The gameplay is relatively similar to past AC games and does deviate in any worsening direction, but they could have improved the game much
    more. The background music while traversing the great lands of America is not present like it was in past games when going around Istanbul or Venice.

Graphics-wise, this is the most appealing game I have ever seen on an Assassin's Creed game. So the bottom line is, get this game when you see it in the Bargain Bin.
  84. Nov 5, 2013
    I don't know how to feel about AC3. I liked the time period it was set in and the story but I didn't like how the game felt and how it was played. And in Frontier you sometimes have to run over 1000m which took some time. I think the pieces of the puzzle were there but they wouldn't fit together.
  85. May 18, 2013
    Assassin's Creed III.
    Note: I have decided to include 2 new segments to this review, because there are some things that I can't consider good, or bad.
    Good Points:
    + The Period of time, the American Revolution is a great time to explore how an assassin and templar brotherhood could have installed there. Haytham Kenway, he's an excellent character and just impossible not to like. The
    comeback of more than 1 city (although you had Capadoccia in Revelations, you practically played all in Constantinople) and the different characteristics of each individual place. The Frontier and the addition of animals and hunting is amazing. The Seasons, now you can have snow and is just beautiful. Climbing trees, it is very useful when you have to scape from something or you just don't want to go on the snow (or whatever reason you find). The Length of both, the story and all side quest, which gave a lot of fun hours. Naval Battles, all (even those who rated this game with a 0) know that this is a TRULY good point. The vast inventory (including heavy, small, normal weapons and also a lot of range weapons). The American Assassin Brotherhood; This time they gave importance to how you meet them and why they decided to join the Brotherhood, giving each Assassin a different background. The Present Day gets really fun on this one, by giving you missions to retrieve power sources. Soundtrack, I always say it's amazing, but I have no word for this one IT'S BRILLIANT. (sorry for that). The Forts, it's really fun to liberate them and take away all Red Coats. Noah Watts and Adrian Hough, they make and incredible voice acting giving it emotion and a really interesting atmosphere. Benedict Arnold missions are just OK and we're lucky that they're free because I wouldn't recommend them if you had to pay for it. The Assassin Suit, is definitely the best Assassin outfit so far. The outstanding graphics, this is visually the best AC game so far. The AnvilNext Engine, it makes the game more realistic and powerful than before (it is also a bad point, check why)
    Bad Points:
    - The Game truly starts at Sequence 8 (considering you unlock New York, the final location, in this sequence), which is a shame, because you don't get full liberty until half of the game. Sequence 1, memory 3 is way to long, there was no necessity of making the ship travel so long. The pacing of the story is very slow and you'll probably get bored in some part of the story. Making board games as part of 100% synchronization, it's awful! Nobody wants board games obligatory. The game is "in parts" you have to buy 1 DLC (Hidden Secrets) to have the full game. Horse Riding, is horrible and in the frontier worst; Red Dead Redemption succeeded to make and incredible horse riding, why can't this game?. One of the most bugged games I have seen, why couldn't they delay the game to make it without any bugs or glitches or leave it with just a few?. The AnvilNext Engine, it was overwhelming for the game in some moments, like now there's a lot of people in the city, but they disappear mysteriously while they're walking (I mean, what?). Stealth, it is totally gone, you kill a guard and the whole city knows it. There's no background music while you're not currently in a mission, and you're just playing for fun, and it helps getting you bored.
    (+ New Segment) Middle Points:
    Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor), I can't say if he is either a good or bad point, because he is so complex and it is up to you to tell if he is a good or bad character. But before, I most tell you something: Ratonhnhaké:ton had the worst imaginable life and I can't say much more without spoiling you anything; before you judge him you most know that people who get that trauma turn to be really bad people. HomeStead Crafting and sending caravans, I don't know if you're going to like it, but for me it was an easier and most interactive way of winning money and trading things than previous Assassin's Creed Games. The Ending, I can't explain how is it a middle point without spoiling, just know that there's a 50 that you like it and 50 you don't. Synchronization ranks; now is more than 1 synchronization objective, so it's sometimes frustrating and sometimes a nice challenge. Simplified Gameplay, now the game has simplified the buttons and for expert AC gamers is boring at times, though if you're a newcomer you'll probably have a great time.
    (+ New Segment) Personal opinion:
    I think this game was awesome, but had flaws like Ratonhnhaké:ton smiling 3 or 4 times in the game, or the game being so slow. The Ending was very shocking for me and I didn't know how to deal with it. Gameplay mechanics we're simplified and that I didn't like.
    Final Score:
    Assassin's Creed III is the biggest, ambitious and inmersive AC game, telling an interesting story and adding some cool things. However, the game didn't fully completed it's ideas and somethings we're changed way too much. The Graphics, design, story are beautiful.
    Average Score: 8.2
  86. Jan 4, 2013
    Excellent storytelling,, awesome scenario, awesome graphics, but the bugs, combat glitches, and many quest glitches plague this game endlessly, you will be forced to do the same mission 20 times as you keep getting spawned in unlucky spots, or randomly generated npc's will block you, i won't spoil much about the ending, but if you can suffer through the numerous glitches and errors that plague this game, you will enjoy it, the games centered around Ezio are still superior imo. It feels like they took a couple steps back in this game, almost assassins creed 1ish in its approach. Expand
  87. Nov 10, 2012
    C'mon, I really cannot believe you people are judging this game this bad. Okay, AC3 is not the best game in human history, but is not that far away from being such. Gameplay is awesome, combat is fully improved. Now, gamers do not depend in the story of the series- which, by the way, is still pretty awesome - to continue playing the game. The old "counter-to-win" style is not more so significant. The confrontations are more dynamic and the different kinds of missions make the game one hell of a good choice for the GOTY. The few things that can be said about this piece of art are definitely related with its bugs, loading screens, lack of involvement with some characters, and not-that-good ending. AC3 does not follow ME3 terrible ending model, as its almost certain the existence of a sequel for the game, but.... all fans that waited anxiously for the third episode of Desmond's saga won't be truly satisfied with its conclusion. Expand
  88. Nov 5, 2012
    This game is the best version of Assassin´s Creed series. Obviously the game has some problems, like many bugs and inconsist frame rate, but the history is absolutely brilliant, ship batles are great, good multiplayer .. .whatever, great job from Ubisoft.
  89. Nov 3, 2012
    Let's be clear here:This game gets a 8.5/10.Nothing below that imo.That is why I chose to rate this 9/10.Now on to the review.
    First of all this game has glitches.Not ridiculous glitches like some other mentioned here but glitches that should not exist in such a game.For example.In the cut scenes,subtitles appear and the person is actually talking,but his mouth is not moving.Also,I have
    experienced a lot of frame rate issues.FPS is ok but only until you reach an area with a lot of people or a lot of objects.Those are the issues I have experienced thus far.Now to the pros.This game just does not feel as boring as AC Brotherhood and (possibly) AC Revelations.AC Brotherhood in my opinion was a copy of AC II,but well,a lot worse.Revelations felt,once again,generic.This game though,feels interesting,fresh.Of course,the story telling in all previous games is better and Connor is not as like able as Ezio BUT,when all other games failed(with the exception of ACII)this game succeded.If you are a lazy person then do not play game like this,where you have a lot of story telling and a lot of cut scenes.The first couple of hours in the game(make it one hour)you will spend doing things such as climbing and the game will let you familiarize yourself with the controls,before you get into the game.I haven't used the multiplayer feature yet so I cannot say anything about that.Please,PLEASE do not fully take into consideration the negative reviews,which,most of the time,are from people who expect way too much from one game.Of course,it is not as good as ACII and it does have some issues,but it deserves your 45-60 pounds because of the hundreds of games out there,this one is definitely worth it. Expand
  90. Nov 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here is my review of the game, first the graphics, the graphics in this game are really detailed and beautiful, the character models and the environments are great and when you reach a highpoint, you will not want to go down just because you want to apprecciate the scenery, especially in the frontier, now the gameplay, this is your typical ac gameplay but with some cool tweaks, the controls have changed, now you counter with o or b in ps3 or xbox, you knwo have double counters and combos which feel great , it is also dual wielding , the combat if done right you can teke out large groups of enemies like a boss because of the dual wielding you can now kill cleanly and quickly, it also has a greater stelath feature with some new itmes like the bow or the rope dart, and some other new functions that meake the steakth easier and cooler, you also have hunting, where you can hunt animals and sell their pelts at a certain cost based on the way you killed the animal, which is really cool and interesting, you also have club challenges which are also fun to complete, the naval warfare is good, ot is fun and keeps the game fresh, and you can also upgrade your ship, all of the gameplay is a ton of fun, the only minor problem I had though was the crafting interface, at the beggining it was confusing as **** characters: the characters in this game are really likeable and well done, i almost cried when achilles and haytham died, connor for me is in par with ezio as a character and all of the characters are really deep and they make you care about them, at least for me, i wanted every memeber of the templar order to die , and at the same time i was worried of what would happen to connor and his companions throughout the story.
    story, it is a direct sequel to assassins creed revelations you start the game as desmond where he and his friends find a crypt but then desmond starts to have allucinations and he eventually faints, i'm not going to say anymore to don't spil anything more than i did, but the story is so well done that i never wanted to stop playing, and i LITERALLY dodn't want too, if i had to pee i would say to myself **** IT!! i want to know what happens next.
    Overall in MY opinion it is a 10 out of 10, it has some minor issues and bugs but i think it raises the bar so high that it doesn't deserved any pints of. Peace
  91. Jan 27, 2014
    This assassins creed has disappointed me a lot, Connor is a character hasn´t have personality, he doesn´t know why he fight. The beginning of the game is slow, the first 4-5 hours are very boring. The game submit much graphical errors, like weapons in levitation, characters that appear suddenly. The combat system has been improved respect over previous releases but yet is still below other games like batman arkhan. The gameplay follows the patters of previous deliveries, but have errors, like getting stuck between tress that at times maddening. The story is very poor and how the story end, don´t like all.

good thinks in the game: ship battles, are fun but lack depth.

Only I recommend the game, diehard fans of assassins credd.
  92. Aug 21, 2013
    AC III truly speaking in the beginning I was disappointed with the game and I didn't want to play but as I spent time and completed the story it became interesting and interesting. UBI Soft has change a lot of things that made the game a new game and difficult as well. some of the new concepts are very difficult like convoy trade etc. I admit the game has some glitches but it is AC we should ignore little thing behind this big game. I Love AC all versions and AC II as well. The one who like the game in the same conventional manner, they couldn't like this version but as you see the game era is 1700 to 1799 so time time change and the weapons has change. You cannot use all conventional weapons in this era. You have to consider the time as well. I suggest you all to play a bit and spend some time with it and I'm sure you'll definitely like it. Expand
  93. Jan 29, 2013
    A slightly draining story is easily forgivable once you experience the huge multitude of gameplay options. There are so many ways to complete and play this game that multiple playthroughs won't suffice, even if those playthroughs go for hours with sometimes an apparent lack of purpose. Some bad conveyance with objectives or story related plot goings leave the narrative in a bit of a mess, but there's so much to enjoy otherwise that I loved the majority of this game. Combat is improved, but some more stealth mechanics wouldn't go amiss. Weirdly, I enjoyed the Desmond missions a ton in this game, and was a little bummed out by their lack of frequency. The ending sucks too. Expand
  94. Jan 28, 2013
    The free-running and combat from previous Assassin's Creed games have returned, but there is still something off about this game. The story feels underdeveloped, with characters drastically changing in mere seconds: "Why did you kill that man _____?" to "Why did you let him get away _____?!?". The trading system was a bit confusing to players who haven't been keeping up with the each yearly iterations. Another major gripe was the level design outside of missions. At one point I would finish a mission and would have trudge to another location in the same area, one that is devoid of fast-travel checkpoints. The horse would be handy in situations like these, if it wasn't completely slow and useless. After 10 minutes I would get to the objective, sit through a 40 second cutscene and have to go to another objective marker that is 3 areas away. This completely kills any momentum the player had previously built up. Overall, AC3 isn't a terrible buy, but if you haven't already gotten it you should wait until it goes on sale. Expand
  95. Jun 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a shame how the Assassin's Creed Franchise is digging itself deeper in its own demise. The new assassin Connor, isn't just what would keep this series interesting. I personally think that Connor is the most useless and stupidest of assassins and the quests of AC III are dull and boring. The story is the worst in this game, and the series would've been better in the beginning without Desmond, Abstergo or the Apple of Eden. The story is two parts: With random nonsensical messing around with Desmond and also the noble savage Connor and the evil white man. The combat is messed up for example, removing the lock-on and adding flintlock weapons that are rubbish. The quests are filled with annoying bonus-objectives and the stealth-mechanics make no sense. And the worst part is the awful naval-combat, what had a great idea, but was executed poorly. Only thing good about this game, is the historical events and the architecture from the years 1700-1800. So with Connor and his useless gadgets don't support this game and the quests and missions are painful and boring to play this was a nice checking out for architecture in form of a game that was not worth of pre-ordering. I suggest you avoid this and check out the newest one when it comes. Expand
  96. Nov 9, 2012
    This is the worst game in the series. I have more frustration than fun playing this. First is the performance, the texture pop-in is ridiculous in the city. Second thing is the counter system, the new counter system doesn't work, if I counter a guy with a hidden blade, it should be instant kill. Why the f can they counter me?! NO! Just no! The third thing is the main character, Connor is just some generic angry guy, Altair and Ezio were much better main characters. Fourth thing is the lack of customization, there's no armors to buy for Connor, combine that with the broken counter system, the combat is frustrating and not fun. Fifth and this is the reason that made me quit playing the game and give this game such a harsh score, the fking Thomas Hickey chase! I hope your bonus is tie in someway to Metacritic scores, whatever team that designed this mission, you deserve to get your bonus reduced for this damn mission! In all other AC games, you're a damn assassin, you run faster than the target you're chasing, but I've been playing for more than 15x, still Thomas Hickey runs faster, wtf?! This is with patch 1.01 btw, so if anything, the patch should've fixed well known issues like this. Don't buy this game, save your money and watch the ending on YouTube, that's what I plan to do. F this game. Expand
  97. Nov 11, 2012
    I used to be one of those people who used the Metacritic site to find out whether I should consider buying a game or not. But it seems that's not reliable at all anymore, and the site's been overrun by trolls. Sure, the game has some strange bugs and glitches (like Achilles multiplying in his house, and me walking into the room finding about 30 Achilleses saying hello (or whatever he says) in union, or commands suddenly not working, making it impossible to get the kill unless you reload to the last checkpoint, or riding on horseback till your horse gets stuck forcing you to abandon it), but I still really enjoy this game.There are open areas to explore, and hunt in, there are missions at sea where you have to commandeer a ship, there's a decent amount of sidequests in comparison to the length of the main storyline, the "special" climbing Ezio did in AC2 (he had to learn it from that thief-chick) is in this game aswell, but he does it automatically now, riding through town on horseback knocking people down is now their fault being in the way of the horse, running into people doesn't make you fall over all annoyingly like it did in 2, and the game just looks as awesome as always, so all in all, fun ! If I were to name a downside.it's too bad the maps aren't a bit bigger, especially the Frontier area. Expand
  98. Oct 31, 2012
    It is an incredible game. probably the best open-world game I've ever played. Graphics are great, the world is extremely large and incredibly detailed, and the gameplay has seen massive improvements over Revelations. I can't find any major or game-breaking problems in this game so far. This, along with AC 3 Liberation on the Vita, are probably candidates GOTY 2012 for me atleast.
  99. Nov 15, 2012
    As an AC fan I am really disapointed with this game. It is seriously on par with AC1 (which is awful) this game was a step back overall. The only positives in this game are the stunning online & the amazing graphics. This game is a rent at best. It was just a overhyped mess.
  100. Jan 20, 2013
    I do not know what to say. The graphics are amaizing. its so beautifule to look at. the thing is I did not like the story or the missions or the characters. I tried to like Conor. I realy did but I failed. There is no quiet assasin style kill here, you run in the open and EVERYONE can sense your present and ready for the killing even if you are hidding behind a wall, or god forbids, ON THE ROOFS! no running on top of roofs, they are ready for you, They'll climp up for you to force you down! and then run after you some more while shooting at you and..oh god! what happened?!! I thought him being native and all will be the master of disguise and stealth killing..but no..I just did not like this one. Expand
  101. Nov 25, 2012
    This title is my Game of the Year. While a few bugs do exist, they were expected knowing that this is a brand new engine. However, none of the glitches are "game-breaking" which is definitely good news. Quite frankly, there is so much to do with this title, it's bound to keep you busy for weeks, if not months. Graphics are gorgeous. Controls work well. And running around in Revolutionary America is a whole lot of fun. You cannot go wrong with this game. Collapse

1. Mar 6, 2013
    The Assassin’s Creed formula of fighting and parkour is starting to get old, even with the ability to climb trees now. Maybe it’s the repetitiveness of the series, or maybe it’s just less interesting to toss crates of tea into the harbour than to hunt and kill corrupt bishops.
  2. Dec 3, 2012
    This review is getting long-winded so let's wrap it up. Assassin's Creed III is the biggest and most ambitious Assassin's Creed title yet, but a few missteps leaves it short of being the series' best. In spite of my excessive nitpicking, Assassin's Creed III is great game and a must-have for any Assassin's fan.
  3. Nov 26, 2012
    A great continuation of the Assassin's Creed series because of the strong visuals, gameplay and story. Though it must be said that the story gets somewhat boring towards the end, which leaves a sour taste.