Assassin's Creed III PlayStation 3

6.9

1. Feb 4, 2013
    Since it's an open world game, It's obvious that It will have technical issues such as glitches or bugs. But there's still some surprising problems. The voice acting few times is weak. The story can get confusing. The side quests are disappointing, dull. The new controls are problematic. Oh, and that "lovable" ending frustrated me. However, it can't be said that Assassin's Creed 3 is notSince it's an open world game, It's obvious that It will have technical issues such as glitches or bugs. But there's still some surprising problems. The voice acting few times is weak. The story can get confusing. The side quests are disappointing, dull. The new controls are problematic. Oh, and that "lovable" ending frustrated me. However, it can't be said that Assassin's Creed 3 is not good. The new combat is flashy. The new additions are worthy, most of the time functional. Assassin's Creed 3 is descent, but a disappointment compared to the other AC games. Expand
  2. Apr 5, 2013
    Excellent game. The first AC game I actually enjoyed. I loved the old colonial Boston and New York. as well as the frontier. Overall it is a great open-world game.
  3. Apr 4, 2014
    During E3 2012, I was fairly excited to see some Assassin’s Creed 3 gameplay. I felt like the gameplay was decent, and seemed fluent. BUT, when the game came out, I was extremely disappointed.

First off, the fighting system is very to awkward to control. Equipping weapons is made harder than it has to be. Sure it was the same as the previous games, but in ACII, you had the ability to favorite weapons, that way, you could quickly pull out your weapon of choice. Along with tedious-to-equip weapons, response times between button pressed and action carried out is sluggish and unresponsive at times. The game will occasionally flat-out ignore my inputs! These issues, however, are only, if not mainly, affective during combat.

Along with awkward combat, the characters seemed very bland, and static; they had no arch, and remained the same. Don’t get me wrong, some of the characters like Haytham Kenway(protagonist’s father) had interesting histories. However, one of the worst characters is the damn protagonist(Connor Kenway)! He maintained the same tone of voice throughout the game, unless he was yelling, in which he emitted blood-curdling cries. I understood that they tried to make an interesting and persistent character, but if Ubisoft had put a bit more effort into Connor, he would have been a more interesting and memorable character.

In the game, it seemed way too long to even get to the main character, let alone dawn the cloak that makes Connor’s image. I shouldn’t have to invest one hour of gameplay to see the protagonists childhood, THEN play as him. The missions that Archimedes(Connor’s mentor) sends you on are pointless(gameplay-wise, not morally-wise). For example, there is a mission in which Archimedes sends Connor to Boston to acquire supplies for the Homestead. The Homestead is to serve as a safe haven, and a place where the player might invest his/her money into imports and exports. However, these thing are not necessary to complete the game, and don’t make it easier. If anything, the Homestead serves as a distraction from the game.

We once again meet Desmond, the “actual main character,” as he races against time to save the world from the end of the world(12-12-12). “Hang on, what happened to the Templars?” “Oh, he beat ‘em.” “Okay, that’s sorta strange, well why is Desmond seem more whiny?” “To create better character and relate to the player.” “Well, that doesn’t seem to work, why is Desmond’s dad Picard?” “Why not?” “Oh, well, good point.” The game once again throws Desmond at us and says “THIS IS YOUR HERO!” whilst the player struggles through his missions, brows furrowed, asking him/herself, “maybe the game will get better.”

Assassin’s Creed 3 was a decent game, but there are major flaws that keep it from being a great game, or even an Assassin’s Creed milestone. There was an excellent setting(I actually feel like I am in Boston in the year 1777). Overall, Assassin’s Creed 3 is more than definitely not my favorite Assassin’s Creed game.
  4. Aug 10, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 3! I am a big fan of the AC series, but this...I was blown and surprised for the FIFTH time! Ubisoft did another great game and this time it was their master piece.

In AC3 you play as Connor, an entirely new assassin. He is born in a Native American village where you start off as a kid. You learn how to track, hide, hunt, climb and many more. After being threatened by Charls Lee, you swear that you will find him and kill him.
    The game does a great job of introducing you to the characters. You quickly get attached to Connor as you play trough the story. Your heart will constantly be going crazy while exploring or just watching the cutscenes.

The controls of the game are very nice and smooth. You can quickly switch between targets in a fight which make combat that much dynamic and brutal. The new tree climbing is simply one of the best things in the game. You will find yourself jumping from tree to tree, hang people with your rope dart and fight many enemies while at the same time avoiding being shot. The dynamic fights will make you want to love this game even more! The way animations work is stunning.
    2-3 enemies at a time can attack you at the same time and you will often find your self doing really bada*s moves to counter them in cool ways that feel so natural. You can quickly switch from enemy to enemy with flick of an analog stick. You can counter one enemy while fighting another and the coolest part is that you can quickly change to the weapon you want kill the target with that weapon when you counter them.
    While combat is great and fun, climbing is improved SO MUCH that you will never want to see a horse in your entire time playing, except maybe when chasing people. It feels so natural that you feel like you can do this even in real life. Climbing trees and rocks will change your AC gaming experience so much that you wouldn't ever want to move away from this game.

The game also has ships in it. That's right...SHIPS! The way they've made their new engine work is very good. The water, wind, battles all those things are incredibly well done. It feels realistic and you can really feel like a sailor. The physics in the game are great. Being able to command and improve your own ship is an aspect of the game the polishes it.

Besides some glitches here and there with the lipsynching, posters sinking into the walls (these have happened only once in the 30 hours I've played) and somewhat boring side missions although they can be really fun at times, the game is just beautiful. Parkour, assassination, hunting, board games, well done cutscenes, different languages, great voice acting, great graphics, amazing story line, likeable characters, trading, sailing, fort infiltrating and many more.

My final score is 9/10 just because of those side missions. They had to work a little bit more on those. In previous games the side missions were very fun and a good way to have nice laugh, but here you will find yourself carrying some sick people to a doctor, defending farmers or simply beating up some bullies. There are of course things to collect which makes you explore even more the big world of AC3. But please somebody beat up the idiot that thought of putting in such a bad picklocking mechanic.

This is by far the best Assassin's Creed game yet. Let's hope Ubisoft can keep that up.
  5. Nov 10, 2013
    I'm an Assassin's Creed fan and I like very much AC2 and its story line, but this one is boring. The only one cool feature in this game is the ocean battles which it's pretty awesome.
  6. May 8, 2014
    A black mark on a wonderful franchise. I finished the 4 previous titles. AC2 was easily the best, but this game is a huge step back in every regard: very imprecise controls, frustratingly vague mission objectives, the worst combat system of the series, very unintuitive menus, bland main character, and broken stealth. How is it that a game about assassins has broken stealth? The story isA black mark on a wonderful franchise. I finished the 4 previous titles. AC2 was easily the best, but this game is a huge step back in every regard: very imprecise controls, frustratingly vague mission objectives, the worst combat system of the series, very unintuitive menus, bland main character, and broken stealth. How is it that a game about assassins has broken stealth? The story is good, so are the graphics, animations and all the little details that they put in this world. But ultimately, this game is not fun. It was a chore to play which I gave up on about 75% of the way through. AC4 gains some ground over this mess but it too does not reach the heights of AC2. Expand
  7. Nov 11, 2012
    This is gonna be short and sweet this is by far more superior of a game then all the other assassins creed games they took out all the crap that sucked in the other games and added a **** load of cool features sure there are a handful of bugs but for a game this good and this big its a small price to pay so you people that always **** and complain deal with it or just go sell your copyThis is gonna be short and sweet this is by far more superior of a game then all the other assassins creed games they took out all the crap that sucked in the other games and added a **** load of cool features sure there are a handful of bugs but for a game this good and this big its a small price to pay so you people that always **** and complain deal with it or just go sell your copy some of gamers and critics game of the year games have more bugs then this so my hats off to UbiSoft for a great job oh and I'm surprised one of you complainers haven't said something stupid yet like oh I don't like this game because its not like call of duty lol Expand
  8. Nov 18, 2012
    Improved visuals, combat, and multiplayer are all a plus. But AC3 fails to deliver satisfying characters, or coherent story telling, and goes the way of another trilogy in delivering a horrendously contrived ending, that for some reason tossed to the side plot points of the past, leaving little more than unsatisfying ambiguity. As far as improved controls go (told via in game email that IImproved visuals, combat, and multiplayer are all a plus. But AC3 fails to deliver satisfying characters, or coherent story telling, and goes the way of another trilogy in delivering a horrendously contrived ending, that for some reason tossed to the side plot points of the past, leaving little more than unsatisfying ambiguity. As far as improved controls go (told via in game email that I wont run up random walls again) there are none, and get ready to love some random walls. I hope others are more satisfied with this game than I, as each person is suited to different aspects, but I like a good story, and the poor delivery killed it for me. Expand
  9. Nov 17, 2012
    Great game, Connor isn't Ezio but still he's a very appealing character, I haven't beat the game yet because I'm doing all the secondary missions which are also very entertaining. The difficulty of the game has improved because previous assassin's games were rather easy.
  10. Oct 30, 2012
    If you're a fan of the Assassin's Creed series, you'll feel right at home with AC3. Ubisoft has breathed new life into the series with a Revolutionary War setting in colonial America, and its just as authentic as you've come to expect. Every aspect of the game has been improved, free running is faster, easier, and more fluid and combat is an absolute joy, although the controls have beenIf you're a fan of the Assassin's Creed series, you'll feel right at home with AC3. Ubisoft has breathed new life into the series with a Revolutionary War setting in colonial America, and its just as authentic as you've come to expect. Every aspect of the game has been improved, free running is faster, easier, and more fluid and combat is an absolute joy, although the controls have been slightly tweaked so it may take a battle or two for fans to get accustomed to. As usual the story and realism of the environment is what really stand out here, developers have outdone themselves this go around. It all culminates into one spectacular experience that players won't soon forget. Expand
  11. Nov 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay so the Assassin's Creed series is one of my favorite game series. I am a huge history nerd so these games were always perfect for my tastes. But it wasn't even just the history aspects but Desmond's story as well that I enjoyed. AC3 had some great aspects to it but also some rather disappointing setbacks. To soothe my disappointments I am going to start with the bad. So my biggest problem with AC3 was that it wasn't as epic as it could, or should, have been. The game felt like a big tease. Connor was an interesting character but I found myself not caring about (or not noticing) character development. Throughout the game it felt like he just knew something or was doing something with no real explanation. Also it took forever to actually get the story moving. You really don't even start until Sequence 5. I also hoped for more interaction with historical figures and events but there weren't. There is occasionally a sense that you aren't doing anything important. You are just a minor piece in these battles where as in past AC titles you may have been more behind the scenes but you were a crucial part. Sure AI says they wouldn't have been successful without your help but it feels shallow. Also the further you go in the story the motivation for Connor's quest seems to diminish and not makes sense as much. Like with Charles Lee, it is no longer a revenge quest when you find out he didn't kill your mom. He is just a Templar now but you still hate him like he killed your mom. Now on to Desmond. I have always been invested in his story because it is modern and the most easily relatable. You get to some significant playtime as Desmond in this one and they are actually quite entertaining (some of my favorite missions in fact). You get to learn more about the end of the world and the First Civilization and it is all really interesting and you feel like it is going to lead up to something great but when you get to the end it kind of fizzles out. there is so much build up but then the ending just kind of deflates it. Some of us who have spent five years playing these games were expecting something huge to reward our dedication and hours spent playing the games. But alas 'tis not so. Granted it is kind of a twist ending which in a way is cool but I don't think it is the ending this series deserved. Gameplay for AC3 is streamlined. In some places, like free running, it is welcome. In others, like combat, it sucks. To me Brotherhood had the best and simplest combat system. It didn't need to be fixed. Revelations tweaked it a little but not much but AC3, in its attempts to make combat easier, made it more difficult. Combat is supposed to be more fluid but the you might just find yourself dying trying to string together a "fluid" kill streak. The slow motion countering makes you bored, there is no blocking per se buy there is parrying which is okay buy maybe a little too much effort, and fights that often start with three dudes turns into like 50 in a matter of seconds. This leads me to glitches. Like in any AC title there are bound to be some. Most of them in AC3, like in past titles, are easy to live with. But there are a few that will annoy you to no end. You may be totally incognito and then you are suddenly attacked for no reason. Being spotted when you are clearly hidden is also a problem. I had to restart some missions because for some reason the mission would not progress even though I had completed the objectives. Now it might sound like i hated this game so far but remember I gave it a 7. AC 3 has saving graces that make the game good. First off, like all AC games, the visuals are incredible. The frontier is beautiful and it is fun to just "tree fun" and explore the vast wilderness Ubisoft created. While the cities may not be as big or as grand as say Rome or Florence, they are still still amazingly detailed and historically accurate. I was constantly comparing them to their modern counterparts and thinking, "Wow, this is New York?" it is kind of weird but awesome. Also while not always as consistent as it could have been, there is great story telling. Certain parts have potential to cause huge emotional reaction. The new naval battles are surprisingly a lot of fun as well. They take a little time to get used to but they are worth the learning curve. Finally Connor is an interesting character. He may not be as well-liked as Ezio but he still has his moments. While at times very naive and idealistic, he is truly a champion for justice and equality. He is what most people want to be like morally and how we view the founding fathers as (which the games shows they weren't). So while AC3 had its fair share of disappointments and didn't quite live up to its predecessors, it still far exceeds most games. It had potential to be the greatest of the bunch but just because it isn't doesn't mean it is a bad game. I plan on playing this for may more days to come. Expand
  12. Nov 13, 2012
    awesome game. very entertaining. the combat system is exciting. Not much of assassinations anymore, just hit a group of soldiers and run. i am not particularly satisfied with the story though. Plot is kinda weak and weird. Personally, i like Haytham better than Connor. Connor is an idealist, some of his principles sound simple and naive. I think this game could be better if it adds moreawesome game. very entertaining. the combat system is exciting. Not much of assassinations anymore, just hit a group of soldiers and run. i am not particularly satisfied with the story though. Plot is kinda weak and weird. Personally, i like Haytham better than Connor. Connor is an idealist, some of his principles sound simple and naive. I think this game could be better if it adds more dramatic plot between Haytham and Connor , and also, get player more involved in the revolutionary war. Expand
  13. Dec 21, 2012
    AC3 is like an aging wife whose flaws get harder to ignore as she takes more than she gives. Slow pace, slow loads, slow movement. Broken and heart breakingly, simply not fun. I never cared about the inane and muddled sci fi storyline, I fell in love with AC2 and Brotherhood for tower sieging and breakneck horse rides through Italy. This game forces the cruddy story on you while strippingAC3 is like an aging wife whose flaws get harder to ignore as she takes more than she gives. Slow pace, slow loads, slow movement. Broken and heart breakingly, simply not fun. I never cared about the inane and muddled sci fi storyline, I fell in love with AC2 and Brotherhood for tower sieging and breakneck horse rides through Italy. This game forces the cruddy story on you while stripping the fun away. After controls improving through each title, 3 inexplicably goes backwards. Your many escorts get stuck in walls, the "stealth" is shatteringly broken, enemies are dumber than ever and the only time a fight is interesting is when you can't find your character in the jumbled frenzy. You have to pause the game to access the former weapon wheel... how?! Why take a modern function to replace with a 1995 inventory?

This is inexplicably a bad game. Disgusting. I still love synching viewpoints, managing double assassinations, and petting cats & dogs. Had I not cared, then meh, but I'm sad that 3 is such a failure.
  14. Jan 6, 2013
    Honestly this game should likely be considered a good game, but after AC2 set a high bar, AC 3 just falls flat on its face. The graphics are as sweet as they might get on the PS3 but also glitchy at times. The game is glitchy in many aspects. The camera is shaky and keeps you from seeing you targets, the controls are ofte off and not intelligently placed on the controller (e.g. stopping aHonestly this game should likely be considered a good game, but after AC2 set a high bar, AC 3 just falls flat on its face. The graphics are as sweet as they might get on the PS3 but also glitchy at times. The game is glitchy in many aspects. The camera is shaky and keeps you from seeing you targets, the controls are ofte off and not intelligently placed on the controller (e.g. stopping a slow horse is the same button as spurring a horse that has picked up some speed), the missions are too unevenly balanced - too easy or way too hard - checkpoints are placed badly and the freerunning system that had been the staple of AC is more often than not the more complicated way to get somewhere - you DO NOT EVEN WANT to climb buildings and run around the roofs in some cases. Why would you spoil the trademark of your game?
    As mentioned above the real problem is that this feels like a good game that you would want to play, but the small problems amass and mar your gaming experience, oftentimes leaving you frustrated wanting to punch someone - most likely the programmers at Ubisoft. I get why people would rate it as a good game, but I can't help but wonder if they played a different game when grading it above 80 %.
  15. Jan 18, 2013
    Reviewed it for friends long back , hope it helps people here ,

So yeah played & completed Assassins Creed 3 , i guess it took me 14-15 hours to complete the main story alone , Sequences are quite big & some missions are annoying at first till you get the hang of it , so here are my thoughts / review if you will of the game , I'm keeping it spoiler free as much as possible , +ves :
    Reviewed it for friends long back , hope it helps people here ,

+ves :
    - Great environmental graphics , good character models though the graphics for then could be a little better but still they are really good
    -Desmonds missions are quite well done though they lack a map to guide but navigation is relatively simple so not a biggie
    -The ending ties the story together very well so you don't find any lose ends to criticize
    -Haytham is an awesome character introduced in the series , stole the show for me
    -Audio is class , feels like you are living the revolution
    -Rope darts are a joy to use , purchasable weapons help , swords , axes are really useful to killing big commanders in case there is no ammo or rope dart is used up

-ves :
    -Weak individual character build up except a few characters who are really nailed spot on , some characters storyline seem to take a odd turn and while not bad at all they aren't digestible
    -Hunting is poorly inspired , they could have done so much better , the QTE events just take the fun right out of it
    -Naval combat is a interesting concept & while it does work good to the point of no serious issue , complains do arise due to tight handling of the ship & navigating & defending the ship amidst of a enemy attack while rotating a confused camera is a annoying job
    -The world doesn't encourage you much, to explore it's beauty , and it still feels like jumping from one sandbox to another
    -Tomahawk is a overrated weapon , weapons available for purchase are overpriced
    - Tree climbing is not a very helpful skill that it could have been & if not properly skilled the player is slowed down , and finding the 2-3 specific types of trees in a situation of danger is troublesome

Overall for a first outing by a 3rd person open world game set in colonial America it does a real good job of capturing all the important events while keeping you entertained , some of it's flaws aside , this is one game that any open world enthusiast and above a conspiracy theory nut should not miss , considering the ending i am glad this is my first assassins creed game purchase :p

AssassinS Creeds 3 >>> 8/10
  16. Apr 29, 2013
    Assassins Creed III... was one of the most disappointing games of 2012, it was NOT a bad game, but it sure did not live up to the hype it was getting. Lets start with the pros: Good graphics, good gameplay, great environment, and interesting multiplayer. The Cons: Uninteresting characters, Connor is nowhere the level that Ezio was in character development, there were also a huge number ofAssassins Creed III... was one of the most disappointing games of 2012, it was NOT a bad game, but it sure did not live up to the hype it was getting. Lets start with the pros: Good graphics, good gameplay, great environment, and interesting multiplayer. The Cons: Uninteresting characters, Connor is nowhere the level that Ezio was in character development, there were also a huge number of bugs on release day. That may be fixed now, but it is still not acceptable to release a game with a number of bug and glitches. Overall, Assassins Creed III was a good game and i enjoyed it. Expand
  17. Apr 30, 2013
    It is a nice game. the graphics are awesome the story is great. the gameplay mechanics are better compared to other assassin's creed games. The ship sections are amazing. Only the missions are a little bit repetitive and it is only limited to 2 city's and one wood's. lot's to do but replay ability is less.
  18. Nov 3, 2012
    Hey, what is it with everyone??? This is BY FAR the best AC game and I've played all of them at least twice. I'm really having a very hard time here trying to understand why anyone would give this game a negative review... The story is magnificently compelling, the graphics and the engine, seasons and all that stuff is mind-blowing and the character is an all-new, very different andHey, what is it with everyone??? This is BY FAR the best AC game and I've played all of them at least twice. I'm really having a very hard time here trying to understand why anyone would give this game a negative review... The story is magnificently compelling, the graphics and the engine, seasons and all that stuff is mind-blowing and the character is an all-new, very different and interesting and fun character. I finished the game two hours ago and I still have stuff to do enough to make an entire game out of... This is superb AC experience... Yeah, there are an unusual amount of glitches and bugs which aren't as important as some people think. Besides, it caught my eye that these bugs lessen when you progress. Anyway, this is a magnificent game which is, in my opinion, Ubisoft's geatest work. Finally, the ending still left a lot of questions and also many new ones, regarding the outcome of the game's events. I think we're definitely going to be seeing a lot of AC still and most likely connected to this ending. Expand
  19. Nov 20, 2012
    Great game, BUT.....
    First of all the game have some fantastic scenarios and the fact that you can climb trees, hunt beers and what have you, is very entertaining.
    The rest of the game is as you would expect from Ubi-soft, except for all the bugs and there's A LOT of bugs. I thought AC:R was bad but this takes the ticket. First of all the mouth of the people in the cutscenes in the
    Great game, BUT.....
    I thought AC:R was bad but this takes the ticket.
    First of all the mouth of the people in the cutscenes in the beginning of the game wasn't even moving. The horses looks horrible compared to earlier games and they move in mysterious ways.
    This might seem like small things but it's just so.....1995, and it ticks me off, hence dragging the whole experience down.
    With that said, it is AC after all, and it does give me the AC feeling, the AC challenges and the AC experience, so I will go for the platinum even for this game, I just think Ubi-soft would be better off if they had held for a couple of months more.
  20. Jun 14, 2013
    The story mode obiovusly isn't the focal point of this game. The naval missions are horrid and some of the full synchronization objectives makes you wanna shoot yourself in the face. And I didn't feel myself bonding as much w/ Connor as I did w/ Ezio. However, the combat is the best in the series, and free-roaming and open world aspect is amazing. Colonial America is breathtaking, the bestThe story mode obiovusly isn't the focal point of this game. The naval missions are horrid and some of the full synchronization objectives makes you wanna shoot yourself in the face. And I didn't feel myself bonding as much w/ Connor as I did w/ Ezio. However, the combat is the best in the series, and free-roaming and open world aspect is amazing. Colonial America is breathtaking, the best map being the frontier w/ plenty to explore. Expand
  21. Nov 24, 2012
    I wanted to love this game so bad. I really wanted to get into an Assassin's Creed game to see what all the fuss was about, and I've only played about 5 hours of AC2, so this one was definitely on my radar. Beautiful graphics, great voice acting, decent story, and decent controls, all ruined because it falls into the old gaming mechanic of trial and error. See what used to be ok withI wanted to love this game so bad. I really wanted to get into an Assassin's Creed game to see what all the fuss was about, and I've only played about 5 hours of AC2, so this one was definitely on my radar. Beautiful graphics, great voice acting, decent story, and decent controls, all ruined because it falls into the old gaming mechanic of trial and error. See what used to be ok with past games such as Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell, and other stealth games, is no longer considered ok, as was proven in games such as Dishonored, Deus Ex, etc. Now we want choice on how to fulfill an objective, not just told it can be handled one way, and if you don't do it correctly, we'll throw endless waves of enemies at you until you figure it out. This is unfortunately AC3, where if you don't follow the way the devs want you to accomplish a goal, they make it as difficult and as frustrating as possible, until after much trial and error, you find that path they wanted you to take. Not fun.

Naval battles are boring and don't add anything to the story, nor does it fit properly in the context of the fiction. Side quests are pointless and not worth doing. Eavesdropping mission is easily one of the worst game mechanics I have ever experienced in my years of gaming. Overall the game was not that good. Has it's moments, as the fighting is fun and taking down an leader with an aerial kill is always exhilarating, there just isn't enough moments to make me want to keep playing after 20 or so hours.
  22. Sep 29, 2013
    worst game every, jumping is not exact enough, ist just a pain in the ass. non interruptable screen titel longer than 10 minuten...WTF?!?!?!? are you insane to steel my time for something i paid for?!??!? chasing szenes and you dont know where to go...really, don't play this crap.
  23. Nov 3, 2012
    I have been playing the assassin's creed series since the day the first installment came out and it finally comes down to the final installment. Overall, Assassin's Creed 3 is one of the best games I have played this year. It was definitely worth the wait since the cliffhanger in second installment. The story is set during the American Revolution where one will play another Assassin namedI have been playing the assassin's creed series since the day the first installment came out and it finally comes down to the final installment. Overall, Assassin's Creed 3 is one of the best games I have played this year. It was definitely worth the wait since the cliffhanger in second installment. The story is set during the American Revolution where one will play another Assassin named Connor. The story was significantly long but enough to say that it was very well structured and well executed especially with the historic events during the 1700s. Character development was impressive especially the main protagonist in his quest for peace and freedom. I would say out of all the three ancestors you play, Connor is the one assassin that understood his main purpose in which was to achieve peace and freedom. The game play has been moved to the next level since the combat is more effective as well as skills. I am very proud to say that this game is a major achievement to a fantastic game series. I rate this game a 9/10 Expand
  24. Dec 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would have given a better score, but am a bit disappointed in this title. It was one if the highly anticipated games for 2012. The graphics are the highest point for me. The storyline lacks, when compared to the other titles in this franchise. We all know the storyline of the assassins verses the Templars. But when I discovered the plot twist of the assassin and the lead Templar in this title, working together. I put my controller down, ejected the game from my ps3 console. That is exactly how disappointed I was. Not to mention the horrible control of naval vessels for naval warfare. I find it ridiculous that ubisoft didn't take enough time to develope this, and made a joke to the assassins creed series. Expand
  25. Feb 23, 2013
    Sadly, this is a game that just doesn't feel fresh. There isn't enough new or exciting in terms of gameplay to distinguish this from AC2 part 4. After playing all the Ezio games I was not only beginning to tire of the same old stuff gameplay wise, but also very disappointed in how unlikable Connor is, especially when compared to Ezio or even Haytham. I wish I could have played asSadly, this is a game that just doesn't feel fresh. There isn't enough new or exciting in terms of gameplay to distinguish this from AC2 part 4. After playing all the Ezio games I was not only beginning to tire of the same old stuff gameplay wise, but also very disappointed in how unlikable Connor is, especially when compared to Ezio or even Haytham. I wish I could have played as Haytham for the entire game instead. I did play the game through to the end, which is saying something I guess, but I really have no desire to go back and try to complete more side missions or unlock or explore anything else. The ending also felt like a real let down. I remember almost crying at the end of Metal Gear 3 because of how beautiful it was. The ending of this game left me feeling empty and thinking "That's it?" Expand
  26. Nov 5, 2012
    AC3...is a great game. It is a bit slow but that shouldn't be a fault. The twist at the beginning and giving the character depth isn't something that should be frowned upon. That being said the gameplay is very slick. Performing multiple assassinations, while moving nonetheless, feels great. Running and jumping through the cities, and the trees, feels great. The hunting is fun and, in myAC3...is a great game. It is a bit slow but that shouldn't be a fault. The twist at the beginning and giving the character depth isn't something that should be frowned upon. That being said the gameplay is very slick. Performing multiple assassinations, while moving nonetheless, feels great. Running and jumping through the cities, and the trees, feels great. The hunting is fun and, in my opinion, better then Read Dead Redemption. The combat is actually somewhat challenging, enemies won't wait to attack and you cannot heal during a fight, Notoriety has been improved with each level being harder then the last, compared to the other AC games where if you were notorious all they would do is look then come over. Essentially what I am saying is this is a very good game and I don't understand why the score isn't in the 90's. Expand
  27. Oct 30, 2012
    I think there are people who low ball video games scores just to keep them from being perfect.. This game...is in my top 5 games all-time...graphics 10, story 10, game-play 10, controls 10... see me in 8 years for game of the decade...masterpiece!
  28. Oct 31, 2012
    First of all, let me be clear, I've been an Assassin's Creed fan from day one. I followed the development of every single game since it's conception. I have all the games, all the books, most of the merchandise. I even did some internshipping at Ubisoft to work on Brotherhood. I would go as far to say I'm a diehard fan. This is why, it pains me to say this. Appart from Revelations and theFirst of all, let me be clear, I've been an Assassin's Creed fan from day one. I followed the development of every single game since it's conception. I have all the games, all the books, most of the merchandise. I even did some internshipping at Ubisoft to work on Brotherhood. I would go as far to say I'm a diehard fan. This is why, it pains me to say this. Appart from Revelations and the games on other handhelds, this is the weakest Assassin's creed and a blemish on the overall series. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible and has fun parts, but it's an average game that is part of an overall franchise that stays away from the average. Let me break it down, so you see where I'm coming from and to make it clear I'm not "trolling".

The Cons:

The glitches. Oh, the glitches. This game is FULL of them. There have been a few that have made me chuckle, like a horse getting stuck on top of a house or a man stretching out like crazy after I hit him. The ones that really upset me though, where the game breaking ones. Such as guns missing from parts where you need to shoot, being unable to fire, escort missions where the NPC will get caught in a wall, the protagonist just falling though the floor into oblivion, the NPC's shooting through buildings. There's been several times I needed to restart due to a glitch. I'd let some of them slide, but this is an AAA title and there should never be glitches that break a game. This is 2012 for Christ sake. The AI is terrible too. You could be walking down a street, with no notoriety and suddenly five guards will come out of nowhere and kill you. Or you could be super wanted and walk by- even punch a guard- without getting them to attack you. The horse back riding is so bad... oh man. Horses- when shot- will fall over. They'll also fall over randomly when you hit a glich and die. The combat, now different than the other AC's, is like trying to drive a minivan with a popped tire. You'll lose half your health just taking out a group of guys. Guarding and countering doesn't work anymore. And good luck dodging. For some reason Muskets in 1777 are as accurate as sniper rifles now. huh. It starts out slow- I wont say spoilers, but it's about 4 to 5 hours in before you actually get to the meat of the game.

There all a lot of cut-scenes. It sorta brings you out of the game and it feels, sometimes, like a movie, but overall it's not that big of an issue. Pros:

It's BEAUTIFUL. More beautiful than AC2 or Skyrim or fallout. This game will make love to your eyes.
    The soundtrack is amazing too. The ship battles. Yeah, it's a learning curve, but it's not terrible. It becomes really fun later-on

Climbing on trees and free-running are smooth like butter. It feels fresh and natural. Connor is a very easily controlled character and you'll just have fun running around in the forest, The Protagonist. Shockingly, Connor is a really interesting character. Hunting is fun. There's no better feeling than stealth killing a bear from a tree. I can honestly say, as a "hardcore" assassin's creed fan, I was disappointed. I had very high hopes for this game, and I even expected something better than AC2. I'd recommend you play it, but don't go in with the high expectations of the people and reviews that are giving it 10/10 or perfects. I'd go in expecting an average game and you wont be too let down.
  29. Nov 3, 2012
    AC3 is a great game. It has a great time period for the setting and the story is excellent. There have been so not so positive reviews but I will say this, if you like adventure games with a lot action and if you like to take the time to explore then you will like this game. I have played all the assassins creed games and this is by far my favorite. It does not do a whole lot differentAC3 is a great game. It has a great time period for the setting and the story is excellent. There have been so not so positive reviews but I will say this, if you like adventure games with a lot action and if you like to take the time to explore then you will like this game. I have played all the assassins creed games and this is by far my favorite. It does not do a whole lot different from the previous games but it does fine tune the game into a much better game. The graphics are excellent even though the frame rate can slow down it is nothing major, the gameplay is easier but better and like I said the story is the best for the series. I recommend this game to anyone that just enjoys playing games. Expand
  30. Nov 14, 2012
    okey one gud thin abowt this gaame is the kniphes (even tho they copeed cod obviosly) anyway

theres guns in the game but al the enormies hav them lyk wtf?!?! i want to shut the noobs!! an sometyms wen i try to knyf them they spot me lyk WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM AN ASASSAIN TEY CARNT SPOOT ME srsly not an assasasin wen dey spot me lol also no ninga/comando perks pffffffffft evry1 noes dat any oober bakstaber neds those perks and they guy is like HUH and runs an stufs an doosent use guns lol
    wat a lord of rubish 1/10 only for stabs
  31. Nov 16, 2012
    Ce jeu est tout simplement incroyable!!! Rien à dire le mode en ligne est énorme, le mode en solo pareil. Et le graphisme n'en parlons pas, tout simplement merveilleux!!!
  32. Dec 7, 2012
    This game would have been excellent if the amount of bugs didn't wreak havoc on the game play. Seriously, I couldn't play an hour without having to reload the game, or exit to the Animus, or restart at a checkpoint because I fell through the ground, or a hay horse drove me through the wall of a building, or I got stuck in a falling animation without falling. Some more? Cannon BallsThis game would have been excellent if the amount of bugs didn't wreak havoc on the game play. Seriously, I couldn't play an hour without having to reload the game, or exit to the Animus, or restart at a checkpoint because I fell through the ground, or a hay horse drove me through the wall of a building, or I got stuck in a falling animation without falling. Some more? Cannon Balls stuck in the air, sound dropping out during an important scene, music stopping. Raiding forts and killing the captain just to realize the "dead" captain is still displayed as an objective and having to exit the fort and restart from scratch. I'm sorry, this game should've never been released. Get a new testing team or more of them. The game is unplayable crap and this will be the first one I did not finish. What a waste of 60 bucks. Expand
  33. Dec 17, 2012
    I have always had a love hate relationship with the Assassin's Creed series, and III just reaffirms that. The plot itself is pretentious and bland, the alternate world of Desmond is an unnecessary intrusion on an otherwise fun concept, when you're having fun in the middle of a tense part of the assassin story, the developers thought it would be a good idea to leave that then run around inI have always had a love hate relationship with the Assassin's Creed series, and III just reaffirms that. The plot itself is pretentious and bland, the alternate world of Desmond is an unnecessary intrusion on an otherwise fun concept, when you're having fun in the middle of a tense part of the assassin story, the developers thought it would be a good idea to leave that then run around in a linear, boring side mission that's pointless. The combat is ridiculous, just button mash two buttons to kill 50 soldiers, it's boring, unrealistic, and tedious. The story itself is anti-climatic, nothing is tied together, side missions are time wasters, run round to a point they tell you to 50 times for some reward not worth having, press one button to assassinate someone then hide in a bush. It's the most monotonous game play ever. It's an insult to the stealth genre if you can even call it that, it skewers history while being incredibly accurate at the same time. The loyalists and patriots are somehow both enemies but you fight for the patriots, it tries so hard to develop a dramatic back story while indulging us in senseless fiction. Despite all that, the game play and controls are tight, and running around stabbing dudes is mindless fun, which is all it is, but it's nothing more. Expand
  34. Dec 20, 2012
    Ubisoft tried to be ambitious with this new game but I felt let down really. The main protagonist is a complete bore and what frustrated me even more was the small story telling sessions that he undertakes in order just to try and fill gaps in the storyline. The gamer should be experiencing this first hand, rather that getting it painfully explained in a dreary, monotone voice. TheUbisoft tried to be ambitious with this new game but I felt let down really. The main protagonist is a complete bore and what frustrated me even more was the small story telling sessions that he undertakes in order just to try and fill gaps in the storyline. The gamer should be experiencing this first hand, rather that getting it painfully explained in a dreary, monotone voice. The gameplay however, was a good improvement on its predecessors, the movements were more fluid, realistic and brutal and the graphics were a noticeable improvement on previous games aswell however it is tarnished by countless glitches. Expand
  35. Dec 27, 2012
    Being the first Assassins Creed game ive played this game is magnificent. The story flows so well in the game. The combat is pretty good and i like the hunting part of the game. The only thing that i thought was bad was one of the character not moving its lips when he talked. The game is a lot of trial and error for me and that is what makes it fun (but can irritate me too).
  36. Jan 6, 2013
    I have very mix feelings about this game. The combat is very similar to Batman's combat system, and it works pretty well, but it feels lazy on the developers part. You attack with one button and counter with another, you can also use human shields which is awesome. The free-running isn't very smooth. Now you only use one button to do everything like climbing and running. This one button toI have very mix feelings about this game. The combat is very similar to Batman's combat system, and it works pretty well, but it feels lazy on the developers part. You attack with one button and counter with another, you can also use human shields which is awesome. The free-running isn't very smooth. Now you only use one button to do everything like climbing and running. This one button to run makes you run up stuff you don't want to quite a bit and if you get too close to stacks of leaves, you'll jump in. Running in the frontier feels great, though. The graphics are fairly good, the textures are absolutely terrible, though. To be honest, the graphics don't push the current generation of gaming consoles at all. The hunting in this game is pretty fun. I enjoy killing the animals with my bare hands. The story is also weak, and not engaging. My main complaint is the unfinished feel this game has. There's just something about this game that gives off an unfinished/unpolished vibe. Maybe it's because the free-running isn't smooth, or the lip syncing is off, or the combat is a Batman ripoff, or the terrible textures, or the fact that the 'stealth' in this game is atrocious. The stealth in this game is so bad it's sad. You can't crouch and sometimes you don't crouch in the bushes. Obviously this game was rushed from the beginning, and I can't really recommend it. Expand
  37. Feb 5, 2013
    The gameplay seemed a lot more basic, yet somehow refined and easier than in previous Assassin’s Creed games, yet compared to Batman Arkham Asylum’s and Arkham City’s gameplay and combat system, Assassin’s Creed’s mechanic seemed just a kind of button mash at times, eg Press circle to counter and then mash square, otherwise press x and then mash square. It was just to simple and the gameThe gameplay seemed a lot more basic, yet somehow refined and easier than in previous Assassin’s Creed games, yet compared to Batman Arkham Asylum’s and Arkham City’s gameplay and combat system, Assassin’s Creed’s mechanic seemed just a kind of button mash at times, eg Press circle to counter and then mash square, otherwise press x and then mash square. It was just to simple and the game was simple. I was annoyed that Ubisoft decided to do away with the health potion systems, not that it mattered seeing as I didn’t die one single time throughout the game (that’s including all main story missions, side missions, naval battles etc). The only gameplay mechanic that I was impressed with was the climbing mechanic, as with in every Assassin’s Creed game. Ubisoft just seem to be able to pull that off better than anyone else. Climbing on trees was fun, likewise was climbing up cliffs, but in the city’s Boston and New York I found myself staying on the ground rather than climbing up on rooftops and just having an overall more fun experience. In a way there were too many guards I guess on some off the rooftops, which just annoyed me especially when I just didn’t want to be in open conflict and just get on with free running, doing the story or collecting feathers, peg legs etc. Synchronizing view points in this game was different in a way as well, mainly as this time round they didn’t show you the whole map, even after synchronizing all of them in the game. Which was annoying in a way and I can’t understand why Ubisoft decided to do that. I mean of all things to change from pervious games, it was one of the most memorable things to do in the game and also one of the most rewarding (well for me it was, I just loved having 100% of the map unlocked so I could go round and do everything in the game). Not to say that it took away from the overall experiences it just didn’t feel like a proper Assassin’s Creed game to me the fact it didn’t reveal the entire map.

I didn’t particularly like Connor as a character, as he didn’t really show any emotions at all throughout the game and also, the main complaint I have about the game is about the assassinations themselves. You have a total of 5 targets to kill in the game, which isn’t near as much as what was in previous Asssassin’s Creed games, so I was a tad let down by that. However out of the 5 targets you have to kill, you really only kill 2 of them. And by 2 I’m being generous, as in sequence 8, which is a linear sequence as you are in prison for all of it and when you are about to be hung, your mentor frees you, you have no choice but to run after your target and assassinate him there and then with your tomahawk.
    The rest of your targets assassinations are pressing a button during a cutscene when prompted (even through the games main villain, Connor’s father Haytham) which was very annoying for me and possibly for most other Assassin’s Creed fans. Your final target that you have to kill is Chrales Lee, Haytham’s right hand man. The build up to his death is good, the chase to hunt him down is what you’ve come to know and expect from previous AC games, but when you finally reach him, it goes to a cut scene and the game kills Charles Lee for you. I thought it was taking the piss if I’m honest. I didn’t know how Connor could call himself a proper Assassin with only 5 targets to kill and even though he gathers training in the Brotherhood over the years, his movements and combat are the exact same as when you get to play as him as a chilld. It’s quite ridiculous.

The thing most people were talking about was the naval battles, which were good but were also very short. For me that was the best part of the game and really the only thing that Ubisoft added that managed to improve on from Assassin’s Ceed II, Brotherhood and Revelations. Overall the game was a let down for me, but it was by no means a bad game. I just wouldn’t go back to it and replay it, like I have I with every other Assassin’s Creed game (even AC Revelations). If you’re a fan of Assassin’s Creed, then you’ve already bought this game, either given up on it or completed it just because you wanted to see how Desmond’s story ends. For those who aren’t fans of the series, I’d recommend that you just buy Assassin’s Creed, Assassin’s Creed II and then Assassin’s Creed III and you might get more value for your money out of the game.
  38. Mar 26, 2013
    Assassin's Creed III tries hard to be an ambitious, non-linear game. It succeeds, and it fails at the same time. While it's combat it's distinctly improved, it's stealth focus is diminished. Enemies detect you easy, that it makes almost IMPOSSIBLE to kill stealthy. Surprisingly, linear missions which require playing without detected and kill enemies sneaky are well done. That answersAssassin's Creed III tries hard to be an ambitious, non-linear game. It succeeds, and it fails at the same time. While it's combat it's distinctly improved, it's stealth focus is diminished. Enemies detect you easy, that it makes almost IMPOSSIBLE to kill stealthy. Surprisingly, linear missions which require playing without detected and kill enemies sneaky are well done. That answers that stealth works in linear environments, not in non-linear ones. Assassin's Creed III obviously, has freedom and allows you to explore some interesting locations. Followed by a deep hunting system, it is sometimes rewarding and enjoyable. The platforming variety is diminished. The brand new naval battles aren't as fantastic as everyone says, but It's still solid. A sometimes game-braking flaw of this game are the frequent glitches and bugs, which can frustrate. Story wise, it is descent. However, I was pissed with the dull main character, Connor. He is unlikable, because he's always unhappy, angry and short spoken. Desmond's story gets confusing. What make things even worse, is the abysmal, insulting ending. Overall, this lackluster sequel is a huge letdown and not worth the money. Expand
  39. May 22, 2013
    Assassin's Creed III is an absolutely mediocre game. Disappointingly enough, Assassin's Creed 3 tries to be a movie, or a running simulator; focusing less in the actual combat and stealth (this is for the missions of the main story).
    The exploration is painfully boring, that immediately reduces the score dramatically. I hoped for a deep, immersive exploration, but what I've got is a monotone playground. The same can be said about the mediocre side missions.
    The technical issues are frequent and annoying. While not highly reducing the enjoyment, it just makes for a flawed experience.
    However, this game offers two positive aspects: the whole story and the hunting system. The story is interesting and exciting, portraying excellently the historical characters that had an important role for America. And the hunting system is surprisingly deep and fun.
    Overall, Assassin's Creed III is an almost poor game, trying to be overly-ambitious, but ultimately failing.
  40. Dec 12, 2014
    I wanted to love this game but I couldn't. I first watched it being played from a friend and found it very long and boring. I only bought it when Black Flag was released and realized I couldn't continue the series without playing all of it, so I picked this up and tried to play the main sequence as fast as possible to avoid having to deal with the rest of the game.
  41. Jan 25, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I didn't like this game at all. There were so many glitches and there were barely and park our in the game. The ending sucked... This game is like a gta game in a way that your literally always on the ground running from guards and soldiers. It just sucked. Literally. Connor was a chill character but his personality was boring and dark like batman in a way, Overall this game is not very good at all. Expand
  42. May 11, 2016
    A huge disappointment to me. The game has much content and a huge world. But everything is just so generic and empty. Why should bother to search for all this pointless collectibles if the world is so uninteresting and without any highlights. The game is also so unbelievable easy that you get bored fast and there is just no point in searching for money, new weapons or armor. Not that thereA huge disappointment to me. The game has much content and a huge world. But everything is just so generic and empty. Why should bother to search for all this pointless collectibles if the world is so uninteresting and without any highlights. The game is also so unbelievable easy that you get bored fast and there is just no point in searching for money, new weapons or armor. Not that there where much in the game anyway. The characters are uninteresting too and so boring that i skipped some sequences, which i usually never do. The main story with Desmond is just bad and every time you get to play it, it's just annoying. The only great thing is the naval combat, which saves the game to a certain degree. Still a pretty boring and uninspired gaming experience. Expand
  43. Nov 2, 2012
    Normally love the Creed... but really didn't like this game at all. It has so many bugs, online servers offline a lot. forgettable boring characters and the story means nothing to me as an international player. The game keeps talking about people like i should know who they are... game tries and fails to rip off Red Dead Redemption. Americans might get something out of this...
  44. Nov 9, 2012
    Alex Hutchinson. I don't think I need to say more other than he absolutely slaughtered this series and he needs to find a new profession, but I will. He's made so many poor choices that have turned a once AAAA series into a piece of crap. There are so many things about this game that are awful that I simply do not know where to begin, nor do I feel like touching up on all of them as itAlex Hutchinson. I don't think I need to say more other than he absolutely slaughtered this series and he needs to find a new profession, but I will. He's made so many poor choices that have turned a once AAAA series into a piece of crap. There are so many things about this game that are awful that I simply do not know where to begin, nor do I feel like touching up on all of them as it would take too long, but for those who have been huge fans of the series and have played this game will know what I'm talking about. For those who are fans but are yet to play AC3, be warned that this is no longer Assassins Creed. They gutted it and slaughtered it. Alex Hutchinson had a horrible resume before he began working on one of the biggest endings to a trilogy this generation, whoever hired this failure made a huge mistake, and if he has any involvement in any potential future titles I will not be purchasing them, I'd like to see him removed from the industry all together. I've purchased every Assassins Creed game brand new to support great artists, but from now on, I'll buy used because I'm simply heartbroken over what they have done with this series, and the ending, I find it worse than Mass Effect 3, maybe because I'm more invested in AC than I am ME. Regardless, the ending makes me wish I never bothered paying attention to the story from AC1 forward. Then of course there's the boring protagonist, the flat setting, the lack of ambient music, the horrible main missions, the controls, how they destroyed controls that took nearly 5 years to perfect. Alex promised us challenging combat, lies. Bigger leap on gameplay from 2 to 3 than there was from 1 to 2, lies. Don't believe the critic scores, it's an 85 average which pretty much says, this is the lowest we can score this title without losing advertising benefits. Read the user reviews, the ones from the long time AC fans, not the ones who just started playing this year, the ones who have invested 5 years into the series, they know how bad this game is, and how badly Alex ruined this series with his lack of experience and vision. Ubisoft, fire this man. This game does have some great qualities to it, such as the climate changes, the graphics, the naval battles, but just like a sinking ship, it's hard to focus on anything good when the entirety of the game is drowning in it's many failures. The bottom line is, they made it look pretty, but it doesn't make up for the amount of crap this game spews at you, it's insulting really, Alex Hutchinson, remove yourself from the industry, or go back to making titles with low expectations because you are not fit for the big leagues, and to whoever decided to give Alex this position, it might be time to retire, clearly your judgement is horrible. **** YOU ALEX! Expand
  45. Nov 7, 2012
    Like most games, This game hits it on the nail in some areas, and falls short in others. The beginning is boring. I don't just mean the first half-hour either... I mean the first 4 hours will make you feel as though you just wasted every dollar you spent on this game. Luckily, this game is long, and once you reach sequence 6 or so, the game becomes a lot more interesting. The game is atLike most games, This game hits it on the nail in some areas, and falls short in others. The beginning is boring. I don't just mean the first half-hour either... I mean the first 4 hours will make you feel as though you just wasted every dollar you spent on this game. Luckily, this game is long, and once you reach sequence 6 or so, the game becomes a lot more interesting. The game is at its peak at sequences 6-10, but I found the last 2 sequences disappointing. In all, the main storyline is the best we've seen in the series at times, and the worst in the series at times. One moment you're charging across a huge, epic, battlefield on your own looking to kill a Loyalist general, the next you're doing a frustrating, boring escort mission. One moment you're engaging an enemy in a gorgeous, fun, and challenging naval battle, the next you're sighing at a glitch causes 5 city criers to spawn in the exact same spot. One moment your character is in jail, scheming his escape, the next you're on a boat, with nothing to do except dreadfully boring story missions. Also, there were very few classic assassinations (something that I feel Brotherhood and Revelations lacked as well). Some of the best moments in the whole series came during assassin's creed 1 when altair was carrying out assassination missions, and I feel like this is something that could be integrated more in the modern titles. The naval battles, the hunting, the tree-climbing, and certain parts of the campaign are the best parts of the game (seriously, the naval battles are f**king awesome). The plot is good, but not great. Connor is not as likeable as past characters. He is not humble and is extremely rude to his mentor. The game builds up a great deal of doubt to whether or not the assassins are truly on the right ride of things or not, and this weighs on Connor greatly. However, Connor never truly finds the answers to the questions he is looking for. Just as I was, he seemed confused and ungrounded in his beliefs at the game's conclusion. because of this, many people like me will be unsatisfied with the resolution of Connor's story. Connor's story also comes to a rather abrupt end. Desmond's role is much more fun and engaging then before, but it is still short and sweet. The ending of the game in the modern era is.... interesting. No spoilers but Its not exactly a good ending, but I don't think it was terrible either (not like ME3 or anything). It is definitely set up for more sequels which is good (and these sequels will likely take place entirely in the modern era, which will be very interesting). I did not have problems with being chased while incognito like a lot of other reviewers, but the game is still very buggy. I could go on, but you get the point. Must have if you're a fun, strongly recommended if you're not, however, This is not the game of the year material we were all hoping for. Expand
  46. Oct 30, 2012
    Ok after playing a good half hour of it I can safety say that this will probably be my game of the year. Without spoiling much, the game seems to be much more cinematic that the previous titles. Even the theme song is epic and seems like something pulled put of a movie. Same goes with the intro mission of the game. It feels grand. The score really does it for me though. Its just epic.Ok after playing a good half hour of it I can safety say that this will probably be my game of the year. Without spoiling much, the game seems to be much more cinematic that the previous titles. Even the theme song is epic and seems like something pulled put of a movie. Same goes with the intro mission of the game. It feels grand. The score really does it for me though. Its just epic. Anyone who's having second doubts, just buy it. Anyone who's new to the series, a great place to start although I would recommend playing the previous ones (maybe skip ac1 ) Expand
  47. Jan 3, 2013
    Assassins meet Red Dead Redemption, Batman Arkham Asylum, Uncharted, and Skyrim. EXCELLENT game with some forgivable glitches. I was not a fan of the previous titles in this series. I played AC II and while I enjoyed it, I couldn't get into it. ACIII has me hooked however.

The open world format is incredible, and seeing Boston brought to life is absolutely amazing. I love the fact that I can climb on buildings that are still standing today. The crafting is handled in one of the best ways I've seen yet. No more of this 'my character does it all' (fight/explore/blacksmith/leatherman, etc.), but rather, these things are managed by you but w/ a quite an explicable backdrop whereby you are recruiting others to do the work for you, while you're off saving the world. The free running through the forests and trees is phenomenal but this is where some of the glitches come to light. As I said, this is forgivable as one takes in how much the dev's accomplished with transferring the style to the forests, as if the cities weren't cool enough. Well done! The horseback riding is similar to Red Dead Redemption but doesn't flow quite as well especially over and around some of the rocky terrain.

But those are minor things for a game that has added some pretty phenomenal stuff to the mix. When I played Uncharted 2 and 3, I envisioned how cool a game like that would be with a Ninja or Assassin; now I have it. Excellent game world to lose yourself in for hours upon hours.
  48. Nov 20, 2012
    Slightly better then Revelations but this will be the last AC I ever buy. Declining story, bugs and broken mechanics. I really thought it was going to be turned around with this latest installment but I was very disappointed.
  49. Dec 17, 2012
    I just finished playing through the campaign and must say it's been a hell of a ride. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of the game and there were no moments where I wanted to put down my controller, with the exception of spending too many hours playing. I wasn't too huge a big fan of the series, but this game won me over. This game has beautiful animations, great story telling and funI just finished playing through the campaign and must say it's been a hell of a ride. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of the game and there were no moments where I wanted to put down my controller, with the exception of spending too many hours playing. I wasn't too huge a big fan of the series, but this game won me over. This game has beautiful animations, great story telling and fun gameplay with many different things to do around the world. The difficulty is not very hard unless you try to complete all objectives. Would highly recommend for all gamers or anybody who just wants a great story. Expand
  50. Oct 30, 2012
    I think that this game is huge, slow start but awesome gameplay. The naval mission are awesome, I love the new weather system are animations are as smooth as ever. I'm not done yet but this game deserves as much attention as every other AC game!
  51. Oct 31, 2012
    Assassin's Creed 3 is a great game and although full of bugs, the new gameplay mechanics lets you forget about all that and in turn becomes a fun experience.
  52. Oct 31, 2012
    Unfortunately it looks as if its left to Dishonored and Far Cry to impress me. I was TO MY SURPRISE, taken aback with the level of polish in assassins creed 3, or lack there of. this game does not deliver what its theme leads you to expect. what is happening to video games. this is not a stealth assassination game. It IS a poor looking action game with some pretty outdoor areas (prettyUnfortunately it looks as if its left to Dishonored and Far Cry to impress me. I was TO MY SURPRISE, taken aback with the level of polish in assassins creed 3, or lack there of. this game does not deliver what its theme leads you to expect. what is happening to video games. this is not a stealth assassination game. It IS a poor looking action game with some pretty outdoor areas (pretty outdoor areas are my favorite in any game). however even the beautiful scenery and attention to detail do not make it an enjoyable way to spend your time beyond the initial OOOOOOOOs and AAAHHHs. Why does the industry keep assuming that we only want action, and hyped up trailers with ill-fitting hip-hop/pop music. for a game with an M rating it feels shockingly insulting to my intelligence. for being such a GROUND BREAKING game and all, shouldn't I want to actually finish it? then why do I just want to put dishonored back in and wait for far cry 3? I wont go into details about the game its self, there are plenty of critic reviews to get an idea of whats there. another sign of the industries plunge into greed, gamestop's logo is printed plainly on the cover art of my copy of AC 3 yay......... Expand
  53. Oct 31, 2012
    I'm going to give it a 9 out of 10 just to let you know this game is awesome! i love the AC games and to me this is the best so far....so if your looking for a fun and awesome game get Assassin's creed 3
  54. Nov 1, 2012
    I literally am writing this review because of the people that thought this game deserves a 1 or a 0. All i'm going to say is that this game is an amazing achievement. I understand you may have a couple of issues with certain things in the game, but in no way does it deserve a 0 or 1. The only good thing about you doing that, is that now we all know who not to listen to. Thanks...i guess
  55. Nov 2, 2012
    This game in all was beautiful. The story was incredible and the fighting and free running was so epic and flowing. I dont think ive ever played a game as amazing and groundbreaking as this. The only downfall it had was a few glitches and the horses were disappointing. But those could all easily be fixed with a patch which id expect to be out soon(:
  56. Nov 4, 2012
    i really wanted to like this game. i liked the ones that came before and was hoping it would at least come close. but really, the glitches, bugs and AI are a total PITA. riding a horse on top of a house is funny the first time but it gets old fast. in fact, riding a horse in general gets old fast. you're walking around incongnito and get ambushed by 30+ guards but later on you practicallyi really wanted to like this game. i liked the ones that came before and was hoping it would at least come close. but really, the glitches, bugs and AI are a total PITA. riding a horse on top of a house is funny the first time but it gets old fast. in fact, riding a horse in general gets old fast. you're walking around incongnito and get ambushed by 30+ guards but later on you practically jump a guard and they barely notice. wha? and what's with the screwy controls? why make 4 games the same and change the last one when your audience is most likely going to be made up of the ones that liked the first few games? and by "change" i mean "make totally sucky". the main missions are pretty linear and boring and don't leave much for the player to think about. the menus are a labyrinth to navigate, and that's not a compliment. accessing the map alone is a drag. and why are there more cutscenes than gameplay? at least that's how it feels most of the time. and how boring and pointless were the guild/trading elements? it seems to me that ubisoft just tried to cram in too much into one game, not really developing anything except for the scenery, which is the only reason it got any points at all. in a nutshell: a pretty, but boring and frustrating game. Expand
  57. Nov 4, 2012
    AC3 is the best experience i have ever played. Tree climbing pushes the limits and really feels next gen, The Combat has improved tremendously and is now more challenging. The side missions have a lot of effort put in to them. The story of Connor is the most compelling i have played and he is now my favourite assassin. The story of his village and community and how he becomes an assassinAC3 is the best experience i have ever played. Tree climbing pushes the limits and really feels next gen, The Combat has improved tremendously and is now more challenging. The side missions have a lot of effort put in to them. The story of Connor is the most compelling i have played and he is now my favourite assassin. The story of his village and community and how he becomes an assassin is the best yet. Expand
  58. Nov 4, 2012
    This game is amazing from the start I could see that this was Ubisofts most innovative and daring Assassins Creed game yet, and it paid off. There were many things in this game that should be commended such as the great new combat system and the new open frontier area that opens up so many possibilities and introduced along with it the "fun" ability to climb trees. Amazing story, greatThis game is amazing from the start I could see that this was Ubisofts most innovative and daring Assassins Creed game yet, and it paid off. There were many things in this game that should be commended such as the great new combat system and the new open frontier area that opens up so many possibilities and introduced along with it the "fun" ability to climb trees. Amazing story, great gameplay and awesome characters all together make the best Assassins' Creed game to date. Expand
  59. Nov 7, 2012
    Focusing on the bad in the game...
    Focusing on the bad in the game...
    I feel like there was to much hype leading up to this rather lack -lustre game. Very few improvements were made from the previous Assassins Creed titles. The mediocre graphics remain the same, as does the awkward and out of synch speech, and again, the lack of basic stealth abilities such as being able to crouch This could have definitely been tweaked in some way, but I think the fact that Ubisoft have now leant themselves to releasing a title every year, that it leaves them less time to refine the imperfections of the game. It feels like a very short story, making it feel shorter is the fact it takes a long time for Connor's story to kick in, not until sequence 3 do you actually meet him. Connor is a boring character to say the least, he cant seem to take a joke and is just downright serious all the time.
    The main storyline is misleading, you start Connors story being led to believe that you are playing a huge part in the liberation of America from the British, when you actually find yourself pretty much using the main characters to protect the land your natives live on. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of focus on freeing America, but there isnt enough! Connor was made out to be a pivotal character, but he turns out to be a character that others look past.
    Another issue I have with AC3 is that the beautiful, vast open world isn't used to its full potential in main story missions, you'll often find yourself in the cities stalking an enemy trying not to be seen. Far too monotonous by AC's previous standards. There is plenty more to the maps than that, the lush green countrysides are almost totally ignored which I think is ridiculous, since its so vast and theres so much to do there. The naval missions however are a nice touch to the game, no matter how frustrating they are, I always seem to get a kick out of downing an enemy warship.
    The desmond side of the story has been taken too far, and without spoiling too much, the ending is the worst I've seen in the series; An awful wannabe cliffhanger with too many questions to be asked.
    Its a shame, AC3 had so much potential to be game of the year, I can only hope that whatever lies instore next year is more thrilling, and true to life than its 2012 predecessor, with all the necessary fixes included!
  60. Nov 9, 2012
    99% of the 10's are just Ubisoft employee's. The game isn't much of a step up from the last 3 AC games. That being said, its a waste of money. I'd rather spend that hard earned money on a hooker or drugs rather than Assassin's Creed 2.4

Please Try Before You Buy!!!! Don't listen to the reviews here! Have a nice day. Its up to you to form your own opinion after trying it, personally I thought it was appalling.
  61. Nov 11, 2012
    NO SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW Well, thanks god I'm not the only one who sees that this game is really bad. As more people here, I've been an AC fan since first day, I've all cómics, books and games, even the little ones for Android and IOS, I've beaten AC1 ( my favorite ) 18 times, AC2 12, BH 8 and Revelations 3 and I have all superior editions ( Black, Códex, Animus and FreedomNO SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW Well, thanks god I'm not the only one who sees that this game is really bad. As more people here, I've been an AC fan since first day, I've all cómics, books and games, even the little ones for Android and IOS, I've beaten AC1 ( my favorite ) 18 times, AC2 12, BH 8 and Revelations 3 and I have all superior editions ( Black, Códex, Animus and Freedom ). Not much people can say that they love AC as I do, but this game, AC3 is such a s**t. It's like Ubisoft got all the ingredients, but they didn't know how to cook it, this game could have been the very best AC, they had the history context, they had the graphics, the maps, the varied missions, the best combat in all the saga, and they have screw it up. AC is not famous for his combat or varied missions, it's famous for the story that it has, one of the best stories ever on videogames industry, it's almost as epic as Metal Gear Solid ( which I love even more than AC ), but this game has ruined that history, I wish this game didn't exist, what a boring and EMPTY story, the "epics" moments in this story are empty, that's the main problem of this game, If an important character dies, it doesn't hurt, not like previous games when I almost cried, and the whole history has holes, it's not narrated properly.

So... I've been talking about Connor's story, but Desmond story is horrible too, I don't want to spoil you, but seriosly, what a bad story, It's ruined. And the bugs in this game are really upseting, fast travel points that desapear, NPCs that doesn't walk, NCPS popping in front of you as you walk on the city, game freezes, lot of secondary missions bugged, it's really horrible, please don't buy this game. I'm realy disappointed with UbiSoft, they did the worst work ever, they are really important developers and they have lost all my respects and all really fan's respect. And... you know what? The worst thing they did, it's that they have lied to all of us. They said that they would end Desmond's story and they didn't. When I was at the end of the game, I was like, well, after 5 years, finally I'm gonna give and end for this amazing story, but It doen'st end. If you say that this game is good, you have no idea about what you are saying, I can't handle a 7, but no more than that, this game s**ks, thank you so much UbiSoft, you have ruined one of the best sagas ever.
  62. Nov 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. el ac3 a evolucionado graficamente nada mas, desde mi punto de vista an ido en todos los aspectos un paso mas atras: 1º con la Interfaz tan liosa y menos practica q e visto en los assassins, q para seleccionar armas esta bastant mal hecho, siendo mas ergonomico como en el revelations, 2º querian meter algo como el reino de AC1 pero q tuviera mas material jugable, y lo han consegido sin embargo este acaba repitiendose matando siempre a los mismos animales, y el mayor problema esq tenemos el viaje rapido, es decir, que la frontera esta totalment desperdiciada, solo sirve para cosas secundarias y unas cuantas misiones principales pero no mas, 3º Para mi el guion mas flojo hasta el momento, al menos el final de Desmond, la parte de Connor me gusto la verdad, diferente y tal, pero aqi se nota ya una cosa que hace mucho daño al juego y son los objetivos secundarios, siempre nos dicen como hay que hacerlo y si no lo hacemos como nos dicen esta mal hecho, es cierto q puedes hacerlo como quieras, pero a todo gamer le gusta hacerlo bien, y tu frustracion cuando quieres matar a un tio de una forma y para acerlo bien t dicen q tienes q acerlo saltando yo q se, y si lo qieres acer a tu manera pues es tan simple como meterte en medio de los tios y con el sistema de combos tan sencillo los matas a todos en un periqete 4º Al menos yo, no me he dado cuenta de cuando pasaba el tiempo es decir, en ac2 y en la hermandad te dabas cuenta de los años que habian pasado x q lo tenian quizas unos cuantos segundos mas o nose x q, qiero decir q ni me e dado cuenta d elos años q pasan durante el juego, q bien podria habe pasado a partir de la secuencia 6 todo en un año. 5º En el juego vas a ciegas completamente al menos ese a sido mi caso, no me explican ni como e entrado al club de caza, ni donde esta la cabaña q me e pasado el juego y aun no la e encontrado la cabaña de los cazadores xdxd, o como reclutar asesinos, tampoco te dicen en q momento puedes reclutar y q tienes q acer, tampoco t dicen como ir a otro lugares del mapa para enviar tus asesinos a otros estados, los lugares para esconderte ya ni aparecen en el mapa al = q los carteles, x q yo siempre qitaba antes los carteles antes de pagar heraldos, pero ahora resulta q ay heraldos x todos lados y da = lo malo q seas q t pillas 2 cerca y se acabo notoriedad 6º Tcnicamente esta muy bien el juego, nuevas animaciones de todo y demas, pero los graficos la verdad, nose tienen algo raro, no me acaban de convencer, es acercar la camara a cualqier personaje y muy baja resolucion todo, esq ni siqiera t aparece la cicatriz en la cara de Connor 7º Y el error que para mi es mas garrafal es la jugabilidad, ya se ya se, mucho me diran ahora pero q dices si ahora esta mejor q antes o algo asi, pero la verdad, todo sea dicho, empece a jugar al assassins creed x q iva a ser el sucesor de prince of persia, es decir iva a ser algo como un prince of persia sandbox, y eso a todos nos llamo la atencion y mucho, y lo hemos visto en los AC hasta el momento como necesitabamos dar a los botones para trepar, saltar de lado, etc, pero con el AC3 se ha perdido todo eso, esq ni siquiera tienes el riesgo de caerte de un arbol, 8º Las armas, teniendo hojass ocultas y lo q mas hemos usado seguramente han sido otras armas, como el tomahawk, o las espadas, ( al menos yo) ya q si usaba las hojas ocultas para el combate se hacia pesado y lo mas rapido para terminarlo era teniendo una buena espada, o casi siempre vamos matando a enemigos con el tomahawk y apenas usamos la hoja oculta en determinadas ocasiones, que para mi esto es como perder valor en la saga, al = q al final del juego se qede sin capuxa, nos qedamos con un juego q matamos con hachas y espadas y no usamos la hoja oculta para nada, q x cierto durante todo el juego solo e realizado contadas veces asesinatos dobles con las hojas ( os animo para q conteis cuantas veces aveis consegido un asesinato doble) y al = q otras muxas cosas mas que al menos para mi han pasado completamente desapercibido como el asesinato en carrera, o el rope dart que solo lo use una vez 9º Falta de cohesion con las demas entregas, aun no enteindo q sentido tiene la saga de verdad, aqui os dejo mi dudas( ya las puse en otro lado) -Minerva contacta con Desmond para q salve el mundo ya q le qeda poco tiempo (3 meses en la actualidad) / en el AC3 Minerva le dice a Desmond que prefiere destruir la Tierra antes de darsela a Juno, y que ya no hay salvacion que han tenido siglos y decadas para solucionarlo, pero tonces yo me pregunto, que sentido tiene contactar con desmond a traves de Ezio si luego sabes q no le va a dar tiempo a salvar la Tierra?¿ Expand
  63. Nov 13, 2012
    This game has some problems. Like all the Creed games, the story moves in a very disconnected, disjointed way. Out of nowhere characters appear and then, are never heard from again. And when we move back to Desmond's time, all we get is minor interactions and little missions once again. The story left me shaking my head, just barely focusing on Desmond who is supposed to be the prominentThis game has some problems. Like all the Creed games, the story moves in a very disconnected, disjointed way. Out of nowhere characters appear and then, are never heard from again. And when we move back to Desmond's time, all we get is minor interactions and little missions once again. The story left me shaking my head, just barely focusing on Desmond who is supposed to be the prominent character of the entire series. The ending left a million things desired, and I would put this ending in the "Mass Effect Endings" category, because of it's lack of any closure. Once again, it seems like Assassins Creed will continue; Ubisoft is not done milking this franchise.

In terms of combat, it feels great. Definitely the best part of this game, and the killing/counter attacks feel brutal and it is very fun. They did a good job improving the free running system, but there have been many times where I accidentally run up a wall when I had no intention. The enemy A.I. in this game.....is by far the most frustrating thing. It seems like they never fixed the A.I. or even tried. Enemies at time are mentally challenged, seeing me sneak on a ship surrounded by water, but let me go once I hide like nothing happened, and then at other times, they are 100 percent omniscient, and see me from every single angle. Also, how is it that enemy A.I. in every single Creed game have the same exact acrobatic skills as I, a master assassin does? The same exact animations are used for guards when they chase you. So they, (much like all the prominent characters shown in the story), can run as fast if not faster than you and have the same exact amount of acrobatic skill, scaling rooftops like it's just another day.

Overall, the combat and the amount of things to do are the most fun things in this game. However, this game suffers because of frustrating A.I., disjointed story that left much to be desired, and game halting glitches (getting stuck in the map screen for example). I wish I could say that the combat alone is enough to get this, but hold on to your money and get it when it's cheap.
  64. Nov 16, 2012
    I've been playing AC since the start, I had issues with the first game but liked the assassinations. AC2-R had an enjoyable locations, assassinations, characters and story. Aside from some glitches and bad decisions (like the tower defense game in Revelations) AC has been pretty steller. Why then is AC3 such a disappointment? It starts out very very slow, and while i get the idea ofI've been playing AC since the start, I had issues with the first game but liked the assassinations. AC2-R had an enjoyable locations, assassinations, characters and story. Aside from some glitches and bad decisions (like the tower defense game in Revelations) AC has been pretty steller. Why then is AC3 such a disappointment? It starts out very very slow, and while i get the idea of it it never quite plays out the way it's suppose to by the end. There's also a secret M. Nights style twist around sequence 3, which never really worked for me cause the characterization changes drastically from that point just to make it work. There are a lot of Father and Son themes throughout AC3 but it feel like it ends up getting glossed over instead of being the forefront theme that they intended it. The gameplay is pretty good but the end sequence really showed that the free-running they developed is not meant for on foot chasing, as Connor can't even slide over a few boxes just 2 feet above the ground, and he tends to run on the worst path possible. The good thing is that it looks great, sounds great, has a lot to do and is generally fun to play. The story though is all over the place, I never really felt like an assassin as my motivations were constantly in flux. My favorite part of the game were the sea battles, which made me wish it was a pirate game and not an AC game. There's also issues with finding all of the missions as not all of them pop up unless you get close to them, which is inconsistant with the ones that do pop up when you buy a map or sync from a high place. Finally Desmond who is the "main" character pretty much gets the shaft in this game just like all the others, and really who gives a crap about all that since they've done a terrible job of making you care over the course of 5 games. Overall it can be an enjoyable game but be prepared to curse at it over the course of playing though it. Expand
  65. Nov 19, 2012
    As a big fan of the AC series, I am incredibly pleased with the awesomeness that is this game. It has come a long way from it's clunky great-great-grandfather, Assassin's Creed I. This game is full of exciting moments, great character development and solid gameplay. I was worried that using the trees instead of rooftops would bog down the free-running mechanic, but I was so so wrong. ItAs a big fan of the AC series, I am incredibly pleased with the awesomeness that is this game. It has come a long way from it's clunky great-great-grandfather, Assassin's Creed I. This game is full of exciting moments, great character development and solid gameplay. I was worried that using the trees instead of rooftops would bog down the free-running mechanic, but I was so so wrong. It makes it better. The only thing that holds this game back from knocking AC II off of its pedestal as the greatest AC game is that the protagonist, Connor, is pretty bland and uninteresting, but I really hope that he has a chance to develop in later instalments of the franchise. The other thing that bogs this game down is the ending. It is incredibly confusing and just plain bad. So, overall this game is a must buy for any fans of the series, I had fun with it, and I'm sure most of you will too. Expand
  66. Nov 27, 2012
    This game is absolutely AMAZING!!! After the second game, assassin's creed kind of went downhill but now its right back on course. I wasn't particularly impressed with brotherhood and revelations but this time I got that fresh feeling I got when I played ACII for the first time. The graphics are awesome and there is so much to do. So many side quests. I also found the story better than theThis game is absolutely AMAZING!!! After the second game, assassin's creed kind of went downhill but now its right back on course. I wasn't particularly impressed with brotherhood and revelations but this time I got that fresh feeling I got when I played ACII for the first time. The graphics are awesome and there is so much to do. So many side quests. I also found the story better than the previous games. Connor is the best protagonist yet with a sense of honor and his story threads are very thoroughly explored. All in all, Assassin's creed III is the best assassin'screed yet and definitely (in my opinion) the best game of 2012. It is a must buy for any TRUE assassin's creed fan Expand
  67. Dec 30, 2012
    Best AC game in the series. It may not have the freedom of AC I, but it more than makes up for it with some returning aspects like eavesdropping and new stealth elements. Connor is an amazing Protagonist and the setting is beautifully done. nothing like Italy, but that`s why I love it. It never aspired to be the vivid environments of Venice or Florence. It was on it`s own and it made theBest AC game in the series. It may not have the freedom of AC I, but it more than makes up for it with some returning aspects like eavesdropping and new stealth elements. Connor is an amazing Protagonist and the setting is beautifully done. nothing like Italy, but that`s why I love it. It never aspired to be the vivid environments of Venice or Florence. It was on it`s own and it made the best with the Colonial American setting. Best Story, Great Combat and welcome distractions such as the homestead and Naval combat. definitely worth every penny Expand
  68. Jan 3, 2013
    Well I just beat AC3 and I'm here to write my review about it. Lets start off by naming some good things about this game. The Story is great! It does get a bit confusing with all the names and people that you know and sometimes it feels like I really didn't know why I was doing what it was I was doing. Overall I will give the story 8 out of 10. The graphics are the best in the Assassin'sWell I just beat AC3 and I'm here to write my review about it. Lets start off by naming some good things about this game. The Story is great! It does get a bit confusing with all the names and people that you know and sometimes it feels like I really didn't know why I was doing what it was I was doing. Overall I will give the story 8 out of 10. The graphics are the best in the Assassin's Creed series. It does have it'ts downfalls which we will get to later. Graphics get a 9 out of 10. Controls in AC3 are a bit....odd. I never got used to Triangle being the fire button for guns. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. Running is a bit clunky because when you are sprinting full speed you tend to run up something that you really don't want to run up causing you to jump around like an idiot. Controls get a 7 out of 10. Now this game as many downfalls. Lets get to the BIGGEST one I found. First I'd like to say that I don't like side missions in AC. I don't do them and never will. When I play AC I want the main story and that is it. The setting for AC3 is HUGE. That is it's biggest down fall. When I finish one main mission in Boston it sends me to New York. Doesn't sound bad right? I mean theres fast travel in this game so how long can it take? Well heres thing. To get to boston to New York you must first: Fast travel to the frontier, but this doesn't take you to the frontier. no it takes you to the beginning of Boston, then you must turn around and it will ask if you want to Fast Travel to the frontier then you say yes and it takes you to the frontier, THEN you open your map and fast travel to New York, buuuuuuut, It takes you to right before New York and then ask if u want to Fast Travel to New York. Then after about 3 minutes of doing that you must run (literally) 500m to the next main mission. THATS BULL **** why can't I just fast travel to NEW YORK!? This isn't the only time either it happens more then once. One time i had to run 1235m on horse just to get to the next mission. NO UBISOFT JUST NO. Most of the game is cut scenes. In fact this is the game in a nutshell; running, watching a cut scene, loading, watching another cut scene, run some more, kill 1 person, watch another cut scene, turn off game, sell game to GameStop, play Dishonored. Overall if you like a good story AC3 is perfect for you. Just bear in mind you will have a lot of running and load screens in between the main story. Expand
  69. Jan 17, 2013
    I felt irritated by the fact that it took five gruelling sequences before I got to play as the main character, and for being so moral, he seems to put his tribe above everything else, easily being the weakest main character of the series (although I loved his look and combat). The single player just did not satisfy me, I can't really say more except that it just disappointed me; I expectedI felt irritated by the fact that it took five gruelling sequences before I got to play as the main character, and for being so moral, he seems to put his tribe above everything else, easily being the weakest main character of the series (although I loved his look and combat). The single player just did not satisfy me, I can't really say more except that it just disappointed me; I expected more out of it. Expand
  70. Jan 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a great game, but its without a doubt, the worst in the series. As a stand alone game, it feels more like a GTA sandbox than an AC one, with a protagonist of grayish morality that works with many factions (Assassins, Templars, British, Patriots), without developing a significant bond with any of them, each one represented by a set of quirky or interesting NPC that give you an errand, even the "traitor figure", the one that is friendly at first, introduces you to the world, betrays you and is confronted in the end (Dimitry, Gary, etc), can be seen in Charles Lee. To this, one must add the more horizontal focus on the game and the fact that the horse is your main transportation method. ENVIROMENT and SETTING: the colonial period as a setting is a bad choice, since firearms have been introduced in previous games, the time period brings nothing new, the architecture is the same in both Boston and New York, specially when it comes to viewpoints as they are the same goddamn church, and the only variation is the mast in beacon hill. The frontier can feel claustrophobic and slow at times specially during winter, since you are surrounded by vertical elements that you cant always climb. There are places that look gorgeous, like the fields of New York, but the game doesnt encourage their exploration, they are dead space. Even as a history element, it could be argued that Desmond and company must search in america because they are pinned there, but they seem to change locations with ease.
    MAP: the map has its problems, as certain mission only show up when discovered, and it is difficult to distinguish an explored place from an unexplored one. COMBAT: The main innovation is regenerative health and the different strategies for different enemies, however health only goes up outside of combat, and most enemies can only be attacked in one way, leaving no room for variation of combos. WEAPONS: Unlike previous AC games, most weapons are unlocked since the begining for you to buy, in the end you realize that the best weapons are acquired early on, and are even cheaper than most of them. Your FISTS are FREE and are EQUALLY EFFECTIVE. STEALTH: The AC franchise is known for the ability to blend in the crowd, but in this installment all the variety introduced in the last 3 games seems pointless, when your are chased by guards and decide to hide in a bench, well, or haystack, one will always stay behind and search your hiding spot, eventually finding you if you dont kill him, and if you do the others might see you, thus making it more effective to just kill them all in place. You can cross through whole buildings to evade platoons, but chances are there is another one on the other side, and such places require you to stop and look for them. You can pass near "Vigilantes" to stop them, but they are few and far in between. Only one NPC is required to blend. The detection rate has gone up so climbing rooftops can be hard withouth alerting the whole city. SHOPS: Since AC 2 there have been plenty of different shops each with its own merchandise, however in AC3, they all share the same inventory, and have to be discovered by entering them, all the shops in the world are basically one. SIDE-MISSIONS: These are the core gameplay of a free roaming game, and its where AC3 fails hard, as they interconect and the pacing of their introduction render some pointless, mainly due to relying on the crafting system which really only progresses with the story, for example Almanacs must be chased after, normally with a conga line of red arrows, collecting them unlocks RECIPES with high requirements and when you craft them they are DECORATIVE INVENTIONS, that you cant use in any way. Overall, the unlocks consist in outfits, but most of them dont carry the Assassin theme. In summary it feels that they build the game around the crafting, hunting and naval mission systems, rewarding you with the activity itself rather than a final prize. STORY: This game learned nothing from its predecesor, having instead 3 protagonists, the intro confuses more than anything and only shows how little development Desmond has, his sections are walking from one cutscene to another, where the delivery come from an obviously evil "ghost"?, they made the terrible mistake of using a character from a tie-in comic as a pivotal one, mr Cross, whose appearence is sudden and everyone seems to know him, and a lil' wiki check on him only comes up with better material for possible games. Haytham and Connor's history is disjointed and shallow in importance, the first one isn't the antagonist, an exists solely for a plot twist in the begining and to reinforce the templar/assassin dichotomy, as for the latter, he shifts both his alliance and his hatred of his situation so much that he just seems hateful for no reason.
  71. Jan 18, 2013
    Really disappointing. Have played all the other AC games, and this seemed like a return to the bad points of the first game. Quite repetitive and constrained, and also really annoying how you can't fully upgrade your homestead if you miss an upgrade during an earlier sequence. Hope the next one is an improvement...
  72. Jan 22, 2013
    Amazing!! Never played a game like it and don't think a single game can touch it. The combat made at first make me hate the game but once I got the hang of it I could see the amazing storyline and captivating scenery. Sometimes I would get stuck on a rock but that was rarely the case. Also once I got the Ezio robes I felt like a true Assassin. BUY THIS GAME!!!!
  73. Feb 20, 2013
    For full review, visit http://www.tumblr.com/blog/hardcoreturnedcasual

After three full Euro-set AC games, Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed III finally broke the mold and made the trip to the New World. And oh, this is such a lofty, ambitious title.. rife with possibilities. It is undeniably jam-packed with content so much so that the main quest almost feels like an afterthought. I
    For full review, visit http://www.tumblr.com/blog/hardcoreturnedcasual

I really wanted to love it.. There are so many amazing games out right now and I don’t have a lot of time on my hands to play them all, so giving AC3 a shot despite the negative reviews was a leap of faith on my part. I wish I could say that my faith was rewarded. What I got from my ultimate risk was a game that was fun in spurts, but eventually felt like a chore here’s why.

CONS (see full review for more)
    -Side quests and item collection doesn’t feel important enough-

I was focusing on the main missions in my playthrough, but that usually doesn’t keep me from getting ANY item/armor/weapon upgrades in a game. The crafting and item upgrade system was not integrated into the main storyline at ALL, and I actually had to look at a walkthrough to see how to even begin to get a new melee weapon.

As for side quests, I felt cheated. The end of game references your “merry band of thieves”, but I never had one because i didn’t care enough to assemble them. There was that French guy from the main quest… but one man does not a band make.

In AC2 I wanted to unlock every weapon and fix the mansion town completely, because I was steered towards the beginnings of those processes. This was not the case in AC3.

But I must say that my main bone of contention lies with the armor upgrades. Even just for aesthetic purposes! Where were the ancient suits of armor, begging to be unlocked? This omission detracted greatly from the short main story as well I like to get drawn into upgrading my character so that I know what I’m getting for my extra trouble. Then, I can feel powerful in mandatory story missions.

PROS (see full review for more)
    -Hub world-

Hub worlds are a lost art. From Demon’s Souls’ Nexus to Hyrule Field in Ocarina of Time, they always seem to add an extra dimension to great games. To a lesser extent than those mentioned above, the cave in AC3 has more parts to open up and explore as you advance in the game’s main quest.

CONCLUSION: Ubisoft is now a big, prestigious studio that has clout, budget and had lots of time to work on Assassin’s Creed III. This many inconsistencies and glitches gameplay failures is inexcusable. It’s just not as epic and grand as the other AC games felt.

From what I understand, there’s a lot more to like if you have time to sink into this game. Exploration may be a lot stronger without the pressure I felt to complete the main story. Crafting new weapons and armor is interesting and likely very fun. Animus hacks for unlimited ammo, health etc. seem like a great way to extent the games shelf-life as well.

While worth a playthrough and undoubtedly better when you delve into more side-quest distractions, the main game of Assassin’s Creed III leaves a lot to be desired and was largely disappointing.
  74. Mar 6, 2013
    the main story is soooo bad it feel like i have wasted four years of my life the graphic is good ,,but the game play is so boring a and the main hero is so stupid ,the music is bad rest in peacics
  75. Mar 18, 2013
    The worst thing about this game is that it was released a t all.. it's fun only when you play with Desmond but there's not much of it.. story is shallow and dialagues are wooden at best. Sigh.. Ezio..
  76. Mar 25, 2013
    Not a fan boy of the AC series as this is the first game I have played in the series. I will definatly be getting some of the older titles off the back of this one. As such my review is purely based on my experience of this game and not how it compares to the previous. I loved it. Graffics are cutscenes are great. So much to do apart from the main storyline. Battle system is wonderful.Not a fan boy of the AC series as this is the first game I have played in the series. I will definatly be getting some of the older titles off the back of this one. As such my review is purely based on my experience of this game and not how it compares to the previous. I loved it. Graffics are cutscenes are great. So much to do apart from the main storyline. Battle system is wonderful. Only real issue if you can called it that is that it is far to easy to make money and nothing really to spend it on. Expand
  77. Mar 25, 2013
    I LOVED AC2 and Brotherhood. AC3 was torture. I did finish the game, but it was a masochistic exercise. Gone is the wonderful openness and joy of exploring. AC3 feels like a series of mini-game tasks, requiring precise movements at exactly the right time to complete the task. Each new task is more frustrating than the last. There is no organic game play at all. You either play theI LOVED AC2 and Brotherhood. AC3 was torture. I did finish the game, but it was a masochistic exercise. Gone is the wonderful openness and joy of exploring. AC3 feels like a series of mini-game tasks, requiring precise movements at exactly the right time to complete the task. Each new task is more frustrating than the last. There is no organic game play at all. You either play the game on rails, or you don't play. The game has way to many game systems, that are poorly cobbled together, and each a poor copy of better implementations in other games. e.g. the whole survivalist/frontier track robbed from Read Dead Redemption. In addition, the game has many graphical glitches and bugs throughout. I am SO HAPPY that I did not pay full price for this. Ubisoft should be ashamed of releasing this. AC3 just isn't fun. There is no joy in this game, only torture. Expand
  78. May 16, 2013
    I was extremely exited about this game upon release and i played it to the end. It wasn't until then that I realized what i just played. It was a mere shell of the original two games. There was an extreme lack of assassination missions (I cant remember any at all). A lot of the game was on the rails and offered little choice for how to carry out your missions. I hope #4 is better thenI was extremely exited about this game upon release and i played it to the end. It wasn't until then that I realized what i just played. It was a mere shell of the original two games. There was an extreme lack of assassination missions (I cant remember any at all). A lot of the game was on the rails and offered little choice for how to carry out your missions. I hope #4 is better then this. Stay away and just play brotherhood. Expand
  79. Sep 20, 2014
    llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
  80. Dec 28, 2012
    The good stuff: Sprawling environments with entirely new architecture for freerunning (trees), animals and hunting, naval missions, a commerce system which requires attention, side quests galore, and dynamic weather which actually affects missions. If it were just the stuff they added to the game, I
  81. Nov 20, 2012
    I have revised. As the game progresses becomes increasingly good. The only hero I do not like it, but otherwise perfect. also the best of the new things in the game, the community, to become bigger and bigger. The best of the AC. If you exclude the hero and the era of the game.! As for the long haul. there are icons for fast travel. And i forget the great hunting, and epic naval battles
  82. Dec 27, 2012
    I love the Assassin's Creed series. Although Brotherhood and Revelations were simply rehashes, I enjoyed playing it but AC3 was a disappointment, even when I didn't expect much. I really didn't like the idea of jumping to the 18th century but that wasn't the main problem. I spend half the game walking around pointlessly by foot or horse in a arduous journey to reach my objective. TheI love the Assassin's Creed series. Although Brotherhood and Revelations were simply rehashes, I enjoyed playing it but AC3 was a disappointment, even when I didn't expect much. I really didn't like the idea of jumping to the 18th century but that wasn't the main problem. I spend half the game walking around pointlessly by foot or horse in a arduous journey to reach my objective. The combat system is annoying and a big let down. If anymore games AC games release that follows AC3, I will definitely not buy it. Expand
  83. Jan 24, 2013
    I remember when i bought Assassin's Creed, it felt so different than an average game back then was.You could climb on rooftops in cool fashion, explore the lands of the Crusades or just kill guards in in a way that made you="OHHH! EWWW! WOW!" it was not a perfect game but it was very entertaining. Then it was time for Assassin's Creed 2, and oh my it was fabulous! it fixed most of theI remember when i bought Assassin's Creed, it felt so different than an average game back then was.You could climb on rooftops in cool fashion, explore the lands of the Crusades or just kill guards in in a way that made you="OHHH! EWWW! WOW!" it was not a perfect game but it was very entertaining. Then it was time for Assassin's Creed 2, and oh my it was fabulous! it fixed most of the problems in AC1 and the setting was really interesting, The Renaissance...Beautiful architecture, interesting characters and this time actually fun side missions!
    Let's get to the point already, Assassins Creed 3 has been out now for months and after playing it for 51 hours and 23 minutes i can safely say my opinion about it... You all know the setting already in this game which is the American revolutionary war....Which is not that interesting.... It was the first let down for me, Boston and New York are not just really beautiful places unlike Florence and Rome were in the previous games, the buildings are not very tall and it makes climbing really boring when there's like 100 houses after another which look exactly the same.... well i wish you luck staying on rooftops because of the guards on the rooftops... i mean WHY is there so many of them???! You are destroying the element that got me interested in AC years ago! So they almost force you to stay on the ground level all the time. The story is pretty annoying, mainly because of the protagonist, Ratonhaketon AKA Connor Kenway..He is annoying, childish, naive and the list goes on... Oh and you will be hearing a lot of "What would you have me do?" Lines from Connor...and that really tells you about the level of the dialogue. Disappointment after another....The soundtrack= No more Jesper Kyd with his ambient music, now it's just movie music you hear everywhere, it just doesn't stand out! And oh the BUGS, it almost literally drove me insane especially during missions where you have to achieve perfect sync... I seriously wish i could recommend this to you AC fans, but i just can't..... this was a huge game of let downs and it is a disgrace to previous AC games, i mean it.
    Oh and did i tell you about the horrible, anticlimax ending? See for yourselves...
  84. Dec 3, 2012
    well the game wasn't bad good story but connor is like mhhhhhhhh the worst assassin so far but singleplayer gameplay was good fighting was amazing best ever in an assassin game but after you played the story it's like what can i do i mean there is just1 shop wtf + way tooooo short i beated it in 12 hours full synch not good after you finished the game you can't do anything you don't needwell the game wasn't bad good story but connor is like mhhhhhhhh the worst assassin so far but singleplayer gameplay was good fighting was amazing best ever in an assassin game but after you played the story it's like what can i do i mean there is just1 shop wtf + way tooooo short i beated it in 12 hours full synch not good after you finished the game you can't do anything you don't need to buy anything and no medcins damn that was one of the best things in an assassins game you couldn't heel immediatly but oh well just get it from a friend for a week 65 euros no sorry Expand
  85. Nov 1, 2013
    If you are looking for a contender of the Most Boring Game of The Year Award, look no further! It floods you with "content", i.e. hunting, trading (via caravans), micro-management of your homestead's economy, but all of this feels so tacked on, I really do not see any point in it. The missions are mostly repetitive, quickly over (luckily), and take place in surroundings that mostly lookIf you are looking for a contender of the Most Boring Game of The Year Award, look no further! It floods you with "content", i.e. hunting, trading (via caravans), micro-management of your homestead's economy, but all of this feels so tacked on, I really do not see any point in it. The missions are mostly repetitive, quickly over (luckily), and take place in surroundings that mostly look the same all over. Controls are awkward and clumsy, parcouring in the trees is horrible. The cast is forgettable, the protagonist completely uninspiring. On top, the modern-times missions are still more frustrating and unbelievable! Do buy this game to complete your collection, but not to have a good time playing it. Expand
  86. Nov 3, 2012
    AC3 is largely disappointing. There's no improvement over previous iterations in any way that matters and it, in fact, fails where prior games didn't. To start, the first six sequences are literally a drawn out and exceedingly padded tutorial. Every minute game mechanic gets its own mission. It's unforgivably stupid, particularly given that game plays exactly like previous AC games inAC3 is largely disappointing. There's no improvement over previous iterations in any way that matters and it, in fact, fails where prior games didn't. To start, the first six sequences are literally a drawn out and exceedingly padded tutorial. Every minute game mechanic gets its own mission. It's unforgivably stupid, particularly given that game plays exactly like previous AC games in every regard and that the mechanics are incredibly simple to begin with. I can't imagine ever wanting to play through this game again simply due to that. The game is only twelve sequences long and five of them are tutorials. It's ridiculously blatant padding. Combat is exactly the same in most regards though you're even more powerful that previous games. It's prettier but that's the most that can be said for it. There is absolutely no reason to ever buy new weapons as your base set can handle every foe in the game with ease. Like the entirety of the game economy, it's pointless and cosmetic time wasting that in no way effects the game. Equally superfluous is the Assassin mechanic taken from Brotherhood. Not once ever in the game will you need to use it expect when the game forces you to. That brings me to the biggest gripe: the missions. They are the least imaginative and most frustratingly rote main missions since the first AC. What game designer in their right mind thinks eavesdropping is a fun and interesting mechanic. Worse, there are missions that require it along with other requisites. Given that there is no real stealth mechanic and the checkpoint system is senseless you will be forced to listen to same conversation a lot. And about the stealth mechanics? Exactly the same as previous games but now you can lean around corners. "Stealth" still only involves hopping from cover to cover as opposed to, you know, being stealthy? In this day and age the mechanic is so dated it's an insult. It's incredibly jarring to be hiding then try to move to the next cover and Connor pops out and walks around like he's taking a Sunday stroll. Also, the main missions are so scripted it removes all player agency to a ridiculous degree. What's the point of a sandbox game where you can't apply creativity and the supplied tools to the task? Chasing someone? Don't bother doing anything other than what the game tells you. You'll start over. Catch up with your target prior to the subscribed time? Don't bother. He's invulnerable until the game says so. Don't bother thinking, just go from point A to point B like the game tells you to. The vast majority if the main missions are incredibly constricted like this, not to mention uncreative and dull. Many are outright misleading. Don't listen to NPCs when they tell how to order your men in the major battles. You'll get overwhelmed. Just run back and forth like a fool giving the order to fire as soon as able and your fine. That's just the game designers talking to you through an NPC trying to give the impression they put a lot more thought into they did. The naval battles on the other hand are quite fun. They are also the only reason to bother with tedium of the incredibly clunky convoy mechanics. The ship upgrades are fairly expensive and, unlike everything else in the game that you buy, they actually effect gameplay. Everything else you do to upgrade the homestead is cosmetic and you'll have to slog through incredibly bad designed menus to do it. All the menus are horrible actually. Like previous games you can instantly look at the database entry for historic tidbits. You'll quickly tire if that though as you end up in a giant nested hierarchy that requires you to back out of all of it to get back to the game. Your weapon menu? There's a minor load every time you use it. Want to use any of your many tools? Same menu and you have to wonkily scroll through and ever growing list to even switch through staple things like whistling for your horse. In other words they somehow found a way to make the controls more clunky that prior games. Not everything is bad. The world is pretty though the cities naturally lack the verticality of prior games. It's not even that everything is bad, it's just more of the same. Same dodgy stealth. Same bizarre AI that can't detect you in a two foot bush but can spot you from miles away otherwise. Same lack of meaningful economy. Same senselessly placed guards hanging out on rooftops when no guards ever historically did that. Same guards that climb as well as you. What's so special about your abilities if even lowly militia can do everything you can? Same combat rhythm with the same trope of certain guards needing certain counters to hurt them. There's no step forward here like Ubisoft claimed. The mechanics have dated for years and they just put shinier window dressing on them. So if you liked the old games you'll likely enjoy this one. For me, I too often felt like a pawn running from one cutscene to the next. Expand
  87. Nov 10, 2012
    This game is truly a great game!I It is very realistic,everything has improved, especially the moves!! The counters and the climbing are just great and all this combined with great graphics!
  88. Oct 30, 2012
    One of the best game i have ever played. EVERYTHING with this game is perfection. Those things that Assassins Creed have been lacking has been fixed. It really feels like it's a new IP but at the same time it has the AC feel. AMAZING game. No doubt GOTY 12
  89. Oct 30, 2012
    this game is no doubt game of the year. i little slow start though but a very interesting start. the environment of the game is completely insane. it looks so extremely fluid and the new AnvilNext is just AMAZING.
  90. Oct 30, 2012
    I really REALLY wanted to like this game. I felt like this was a step backward in terms of gameplay, story, and well, just about everything. I have no idea what happened during the development of this game. Graphically, its downright gorgeous. Sweeping vistas, open ocean battles, and some of the best snow ive seen. But all of that doesnt mean s@#$ if the gameplay isnt up to snuff, andI really REALLY wanted to like this game. I felt like this was a step backward in terms of gameplay, story, and well, just about everything. I have no idea what happened during the development of this game. Graphically, its downright gorgeous. Sweeping vistas, open ocean battles, and some of the best snow ive seen. But all of that doesnt mean s@#$ if the gameplay isnt up to snuff, and thats where AC3 falls to pieces. its buggy as hell. I shot up about 60 ft. in the air after jumping a fence. had several npc's floating around above the ground. All that wouldnt be so bad if i wasent for the f@#$ing controls. Ubisoft said they improved upon AC Brotherhoods controls. Well, dont fix what isnt completely broken. Controls have never been this series strong suit, but this is one the most frustrating thing ive experienced since the controls from GTA4. The one area where AC always blew me away is the story. But im 8.5 hours into this thing and im just barely scratching the main the story. If you cant get your main plot points out into the open in the first say 3-5 hours of the game, then something is wrong. The pacing is just atrocious.

The AI has been ratcheted up in difficulty a few notches. Ive been getting my ass kicked just about every fight i get into. Ive been spotted when i was clearly hidden at least 10 times.

All this is adding up to a fairly unenjoyable experience. If it as any other game i would just chalk it up as a lose and forget about it. But this is AC3 for christs sake. Its supposed to be one of the hallmark games of 2012. Ive been pumped for this thing for MONTHS. Im just so damned disappointed in this thing it hurts. On a side note, i just dont get these fanboys rating it a 10. A 10 game is perfection. It can get no better. Its at its pinnacle. They maybe come around once a year. Look at this game and tell me there is nothing that can be improved. Your lying to yourself and doing a disservice to your fellow gamers.
  91. Oct 30, 2012
    I just started it but so far i hate it. The Gameplay is the only thing that covered everything else. I hate the new system for everything. Animus Messages .. The **** and the gameplay itself is **** it was to fluent and you could barely control what was happening. In the last 5 games (including the one for the psp) the game felt stabilized and calm but in this ugh..... I wish they didn'tI just started it but so far i hate it. The Gameplay is the only thing that covered everything else. I hate the new system for everything. Animus Messages .. The **** and the gameplay itself is **** it was to fluent and you could barely control what was happening. In the last 5 games (including the one for the psp) the game felt stabilized and calm but in this ugh..... I wish they didn't change that up the game is honestly a sack of **** and i Loved this series sooooooo much but the control's like changing the counter button to be and the camera angles when you're in combat is why i hate this game. Also the menu. OMG it's to ****ing retarded the way how you have to use the right stick ad thing's like that, this is a bad way to end a series. Expand
  92. Oct 31, 2012
    Well, I can say I have been really looking forward to this game! I have been a huge fan since I first played AC. I have played AC3 for 2 hours and my first impressions of the game ... the game play isn't the same (they have been working too hard to make it realistic in my opinion), the usual "AC feeling" is gone (you know, a cool assassin, good story, great locations). They've put too muchWell, I can say I have been really looking forward to this game! I have been a huge fan since I first played AC. I have played AC3 for 2 hours and my first impressions of the game ... the game play isn't the same (they have been working too hard to make it realistic in my opinion), the usual "AC feeling" is gone (you know, a cool assassin, good story, great locations). They've put too much time into making the game realistic (and complicated). It should have been a better idea to spend more time on debugging ... I've spotted several bugs already. It still is a good game though, but no AC game ... I liked the previous AC games more than I like this one. Expand
  93. Nov 1, 2012
    This game is very good. It has got a few bugs but that can be forgiven by the enjoyable gameplay and very engaging story as well as the fact that there is so much to do in this game. I find it quite ridiculous how most of negative reviews are by people who have only played a maximum of three hours of the game and have concluded that it is a 'terrible' game. how can you jugde a 20 hour gameThis game is very good. It has got a few bugs but that can be forgiven by the enjoyable gameplay and very engaging story as well as the fact that there is so much to do in this game. I find it quite ridiculous how most of negative reviews are by people who have only played a maximum of three hours of the game and have concluded that it is a 'terrible' game. how can you jugde a 20 hour game in 3 hours. Shows they don't know what they are talking about and yes it does get better after that. Expand
  94. Oct 31, 2012
    I have been playing games and perusing Metacritic for years. ACIII is the first game to disappoint to such a degree as to drive me to comment. Wandering, lackluster, and frustrating. Ubi should be ashamed. This game can only meekly stand in the shadow of its predecessors. Go back, do it again, and get it right.
  95. Oct 31, 2012
    This is so disappointing, missing audio, floating rifles, people disappear in the middle of a battle, assassinate mission where the target is missing... Never, and i mean never have i played a more flawed game, Ubisoft should be kicking themselves for delivering this piece of garbage...
    How can you release such a flawed game and still demand money is beyond my comprehension...
    What a do-over -_-
  96. Oct 31, 2012
    Simply the best Assassin's Creed ever. I'm really enjoying it! Thanks to Ubisoft for this masterpiece. Great job to everyone that worked on this.
  97. Oct 31, 2012
    Just reviewing these reviews..I can't believe there's a negative review @ all..I mean to each is own, but to say this game isn't creative brilliance is just ridiculous..If u are a fan of AC series, then you'll be happy to know, that it has everything you love about it, times 10!!!!...I'm not going to spoil it for anybody, but with the size of the game and the wealth of content, itsJust reviewing these reviews..I can't believe there's a negative review @ all..I mean to each is own, but to say this game isn't creative brilliance is just ridiculous..If u are a fan of AC series, then you'll be happy to know, that it has everything you love about it, times 10!!!!...I'm not going to spoil it for anybody, but with the size of the game and the wealth of content, its probably the best bargain in video games this year..AC games are meant to be played patient and methodical, just as their protagonists are...so if you're not playing the game the way it was created, then its an injustice to the franchise...Great game in every facet Expand
  98. Oct 31, 2012
    Before I begin, just want to state that I have NOT finished the game. Have spent a good chunk of last night and this morning playing the game, and wanted to share my views thus far. First off, the game is utterly beautiful. The landscapes, cities, character models... all are exquisitely detailed and captivating. You may find yourself just standing still and taking it all in. But lets faceBefore I begin, just want to state that I have NOT finished the game. Have spent a good chunk of last night and this morning playing the game, and wanted to share my views thus far. First off, the game is utterly beautiful. The landscapes, cities, character models... all are exquisitely detailed and captivating. You may find yourself just standing still and taking it all in. But lets face it, that has always been a major part of the AC universe. The storyline is grand and sweeping, and I was shocked to start not only as Desmond or Connor, but as a new character. If you are curious how much time this game is going to take.... it took me one hour of play just to get to the opening credits after going through the prologue. Four more hours until I got my first glimpse of Connor.

Now, the downside of what I have noticed so far. The controls are greatly improved, but are still lacking in many ways. Part of is my slavish insistence to use the old controls, hard to break that RT + A free run habit. Once you do, the paths are pretty smooth and Connor is not as Clunky as his predecessors, though unfortunately a lot less likable than the affable Ezio. I have not yet noticed a difference in Combat. It doesn't feel all that smooth, but it could be that it was intentionally this way for the young Connor and the older character played at the start. Hoping this improves as the game goes on.

My biggest frustration this far has been with the AI and some of the button mashing sequences. The AI has seemingly been ramped up(again it could be due to the character progression) and can be ridiculously frustrating. It seems, at times, for being such a master Assassin that stealth isn't an option. The guards in the early Boston missions are hyper-alert and spot you no matter what you do. It seems the hiding spots are sparse and because of the open map plan you typically get spotted before being able to use them. One mission I completed while at level 3 notoriety because after 5 attempts I couldn't get to the mission markers without being spotted and chased by hordes of baddies. While I enjoy the combat sequences, I also enjoy the stealth aspect just as much, and it is aggravating having to replay missions over and over again because you can't disappear into the crowd as easily as previous titles. I like a challenge as much as the next guy, but lets face it, there is such thing as TOO MUCH.

Other frustrations come from in-game sequences such as lock-picking and on rails fight sequences. To pick a lock, you have to rotate LS to a certain point and hold it, then rotate RS to a point and hold it, and then Mash RT repeatedly. If you let up on the sticks at all, you have to start back at square 1. Almost threw my controller 3 minutes into the game. I am not a fan of "Button Mashing Sequences" (Press A then Y then X repeatedly, etc). These flash so quickly up onto the screen that you tend to miss the direction. You can figure out the pattern, but it is frustrating to be sure. The missions themselves are passable, but they seemingly set you up to fail the sub-challenges. I enjoy trying to get full sync on the missions, and there are times on this game where that feels impossible. On one mission, for example, you aren't supposed to kill any guards, but you have to collect a map from inside a tent. One guard stands directly in front of the tent and patrols a 3 foot path across the entry. If there is a way to distract him and send him away, the game didn't tell me. After multiple replays (again, the guards have an uncanny ability to spot you(and in this stage you are playing as a supposed "master"), I had no choice but to assassinate the guard, failing 2/3 sub-challenges on the mission. I had NO desire to go back and replay. On another mission you are supposed to make a river rescue without touching the water... Connor immediately jumped straight into the water after the cut scene.

I have voiced my concerns, but don't feel like I am saying the game is inherently bad. It has some frustrating aspects to be sure. The thing is, the game is still fun and exciting. I still enjoy traversing the environment and the story. I am looking forward to seeing what happens next. Time will tell as to how I ultimately feel about this game. Right now I am enjoying it, but have had some very frustrating moments. I love the challenge of games, but to me it isn't fun having to replay missions over and over again. If it continues, it may turn out that this title ends up collecting dust on my shelf as I move on to BO II or other titles coming out. So far it is worth the investment... but I would caution buyers that you need to be patient with it. If you are not willing to work your way through the lengthy intro to get to the main character... this game may not be for you.

*Note- I had this nicely spaced out and paragraphed... MetaCritic forces it into a Wall of Text. FAIL.
  99. Nov 1, 2012
    This game was a big let down. They made the mistake of promising a new AC game every year, and made a bigger mistake of actually fulfilling that promise. This game isn't finished, a AAA title should not have the amount of bugs or AI problems that this game has. The AI is absolutely terrible and incredibly inconsistent, there are times where the guards will spot you from a mile away,This game was a big let down. They made the mistake of promising a new AC game every year, and made a bigger mistake of actually fulfilling that promise. This game isn't finished, a AAA title should not have the amount of bugs or AI problems that this game has. The AI is absolutely terrible and incredibly inconsistent, there are times where the guards will spot you from a mile away, even when incognito, and others where you can kill a guard 3 feet in front of another one, and he just stands there. The guards also get stuck on objects often, making it difficult to escape undetected.

The bugs and AI are actually not even the biggest problem with the game. The first 5 sequences are way too long, they could have cut 2/3s of the game play out and you would have gotten the same story. Its basically a very long tutorial, which in the 5th iteration of a game isn't needed. Especially when you can learn all of it from the animus tutorials. In previous Assassins Creed games it felt that the story missions were leading you to the climax of the story, in this game it feels like they are only there to kill time before you get to the end. The story also seems as though it was written by a group of people who didn't communicate with each other, they just wrote their own parts and stapled them all together, its just too random in parts. Much of the game is just filler, you listen to the historical characters talk for longer before a mission starts, than the time it takes to actually complete the mission.

Now the controls, this is a personal pet peeve of mine and im sure not everyone had the same problem. After you make four games with basically the same controls, why would you change the combat controls for the fifth game. Why fix what wasn't broken, I agree combat was very easy in the previous games, but you didn't make it any harder you just annoy the people who are used the the old controls until they get used to the new ones.

Another annoyance I had was that the had Conner speaking Iroquois too often in the early parts of his story. This wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't have him and the others speak 5 words per minute. They didn't have Ezio speak Italian often, which is spoken quickly, and they rarely had Altair speak Arabic, which is also a quickly spoken language. I actually had to skip a few cut scenes which luckily they allow you to do, because they were painful to sit though.

This game wasn't finished, but they released it anyway, guess thats what happens when you give out the release date 6 months in advance. I prefer Valves way of doing things, delay until its done right.
  100. Nov 1, 2012
    I have been a fan of the series since it first released and was excited for the final chapter in the series. I was extremely impressed with Connors story as I have been with Altaïr and Ezio's as well. Though those stories were strong, the 'main' story following Desmond was really weak and disappointing. I feel like Desmond's story has been neglected since the first game and I feel weI have been a fan of the series since it first released and was excited for the final chapter in the series. I was extremely impressed with Connors story as I have been with Altaïr and Ezio's as well. Though those stories were strong, the 'main' story following Desmond was really weak and disappointing. I feel like Desmond's story has been neglected since the first game and I feel we as gamers were robbed of the development of Desmond and having another great character in the series. You could take his story completely out and it would not bother me one bit. I wish more time would have been spent on developing Desmond but otherwise the series has ended strong. The new game mechanics are impressive, especially combat. It used to be combat was a breeze and you could take down multiple enemies in seconds, now it is more challenging and adds more depth to combat with the gun play since most enemies carry guns. The sailing was also well done, to my surprise. The ship was easy to control and also offered a challenge by having to gauge winds but lowering your sails. The game overall was impressive and I will definitely have another play through. Expand

1. Mar 6, 2013
    The Assassin’s Creed formula of fighting and parkour is starting to get old, even with the ability to climb trees now. Maybe it’s the repetitiveness of the series, or maybe it’s just less interesting to toss crates of tea into the harbour than to hunt and kill corrupt bishops.
  2. Dec 3, 2012
    This review is getting long-winded so let's wrap it up. Assassin's Creed III is the biggest and most ambitious Assassin's Creed title yet, but a few missteps leaves it short of being the series' best. In spite of my excessive nitpicking, Assassin's Creed III is great game and a must-have for any Assassin's fan.
  3. Nov 26, 2012
    A great continuation of the Assassin's Creed series because of the strong visuals, gameplay and story. Though it must be said that the story gets somewhat boring towards the end, which leaves a sour taste.