Assassin's Creed III PlayStation 3

6.9

1. Nov 1, 2012
    If ever there was a series with incredible highs and irritating lows, it's the Assassin's Creed series. There are parts of Connor's story that are my favorite gaming moments of the year, and parts where I wanted to put down the controller and stop playing entirely. Like all AC games, the setting and research are the takeaway win. Ever wanted to play "People's History of the United States:If ever there was a series with incredible highs and irritating lows, it's the Assassin's Creed series. There are parts of Connor's story that are my favorite gaming moments of the year, and parts where I wanted to put down the controller and stop playing entirely. Like all AC games, the setting and research are the takeaway win. Ever wanted to play "People's History of the United States: The Game" ? Then again, I'm one of those nerds that actually sits and reads all the animus database history. Seeing that history come to life is why I play these games -- the "Frontier" map in particular is just so much fun to explore, glitches aside, like Skyrim with parkour. And I'll say it, it's really nice to see native people represented as something other than cliches and stereotypes. The research on the social and political structure of the Iroquois nation pays off in droves. The story... well, here's kind of where things start to fall apart. It's very clear Ubisoft bent over backwards to show a sweeping history of the U.S., from the French Indian war through to the end of the revolution, and in order to cover all that ground it takes a loong time. If you're a detail hunter, expect to wait about 10 hours for the world to open up. I'm not even kidding, it takes that long just to don the assassin hood. Each and every new feature has a stretched out tutorial mission, from hunting to tree climbing to basic combat maneuvers (all pretty self-explanatory), as if the developers were afraid we'd miss every single detail. Speaking of details, I'm a side quest fella, and the side quests in AC are always hit or miss. In AC 3 they range from the fantastic naval warfare (which could be its own game) to popular board games of the time (I honestly don't know why I kept playing those). Then there's some truly dull stuff, like exploring underground tunnels. Whether the side quests are fun or not matters immensely, because there's almost no payoff in the actual game. Money/Assassin partners are as useless as always, so all this trading and guild micromanaging is completely pointless and honestly a waste of the gamer's time. I don't want my time wasted, developers, remember this. Most importantly, their attention to detail and putting us in documented historical moments make the main missions feel super scripted, and it's pretty jarring to suddenly be scripted in a sandbox. The main missions are the worst the series has ever offered, just from their sheer dullness and frustrating fail rate based on whether or not I do exactly what the game wants me to do. A lot of the inconsistency in this game is a clear lack of cohesion - the guys developing the homestead "Sims" game was obviously not talking to the guys writing the story, and neither were talking to the naval warfare developers, and there was some nerd in the corner scripting AI for board games and no one knew where he came from. They went hog-wild for this game, and just couldn't wring themselves in. I know they cut "Philadelphia" pretty late in development, so someone must've said "no" somewhere, but the game feels, yet again, overstuffed. There was a lot of talk about their new anvil engine, but aside from a few new movement patterns and great graphical presentation, the game feels pretty much the same. Some of it pays off, some doesn't. Was this the... ahem... "revolutionary" new game in the series we were waiting for? Absolutely not. Is there great stuff in it? Yes.. But this is a troubled game, one I was really looking forward to and enjoyed only when climbing through trees to the top of a cliff and staring down at it all from afar. Expand
  2. Oct 31, 2012
    First of all, let me be clear, I've been an Assassin's Creed fan from day one. I followed the development of every single game since it's conception. I have all the games, all the books, most of the merchandise. I even did some internshipping at Ubisoft to work on Brotherhood. I would go as far to say I'm a diehard fan. This is why, it pains me to say this. Appart from Revelations and theFirst of all, let me be clear, I've been an Assassin's Creed fan from day one. I followed the development of every single game since it's conception. I have all the games, all the books, most of the merchandise. I even did some internshipping at Ubisoft to work on Brotherhood. I would go as far to say I'm a diehard fan. This is why, it pains me to say this. Appart from Revelations and the games on other handhelds, this is the weakest Assassin's creed and a blemish on the overall series. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible and has fun parts, but it's an average game that is part of an overall franchise that stays away from the average. Let me break it down, so you see where I'm coming from and to make it clear I'm not "trolling".

The Cons:

The glitches. Oh, the glitches. This game is FULL of them. There have been a few that have made me chuckle, like a horse getting stuck on top of a house or a man stretching out like crazy after I hit him. The ones that really upset me though, where the game breaking ones. Such as guns missing from parts where you need to shoot, being unable to fire, escort missions where the NPC will get caught in a wall, the protagonist just falling though the floor into oblivion, the NPC's shooting through buildings. There's been several times I needed to restart due to a glitch. I'd let some of them slide, but this is an AAA title and there should never be glitches that break a game. This is 2012 for Christ sake. The AI is terrible too. You could be walking down a street, with no notoriety and suddenly five guards will come out of nowhere and kill you. Or you could be super wanted and walk by- even punch a guard- without getting them to attack you. The horse back riding is so bad... oh man. Horses- when shot- will fall over. They'll also fall over randomly when you hit a glich and die. The combat, now different than the other AC's, is like trying to drive a minivan with a popped tire. You'll lose half your health just taking out a group of guys. Guarding and countering doesn't work anymore. And good luck dodging. For some reason Muskets in 1777 are as accurate as sniper rifles now. huh. It starts out slow- I wont say spoilers, but it's about 4 to 5 hours in before you actually get to the meat of the game.

There all a lot of cut-scenes. It sorta brings you out of the game and it feels, sometimes, like a movie, but overall it's not that big of an issue. Pros:

It's BEAUTIFUL. More beautiful than AC2 or Skyrim or fallout. This game will make love to your eyes.
    The soundtrack is amazing too. The ship battles. Yeah, it's a learning curve, but it's not terrible. It becomes really fun later-on

Climbing on trees and free-running are smooth like butter. It feels fresh and natural. Connor is a very easily controlled character and you'll just have fun running around in the forest, The Protagonist. Shockingly, Connor is a really interesting character. Hunting is fun. There's no better feeling than stealth killing a bear from a tree. I can honestly say, as a "hardcore" assassin's creed fan, I was disappointed. I had very high hopes for this game, and I even expected something better than AC2. I'd recommend you play it, but don't go in with the high expectations of the people and reviews that are giving it 10/10 or perfects. I'd go in expecting an average game and you wont be too let down.
  3. Oct 30, 2012
    I really REALLY wanted to like this game. I felt like this was a step backward in terms of gameplay, story, and well, just about everything. I have no idea what happened during the development of this game. Graphically, its downright gorgeous. Sweeping vistas, open ocean battles, and some of the best snow ive seen. But all of that doesnt mean s@#$ if the gameplay isnt up to snuff, andI really REALLY wanted to like this game. I felt like this was a step backward in terms of gameplay, story, and well, just about everything. I have no idea what happened during the development of this game. Graphically, its downright gorgeous. Sweeping vistas, open ocean battles, and some of the best snow ive seen. But all of that doesnt mean s@#$ if the gameplay isnt up to snuff, and thats where AC3 falls to pieces. its buggy as hell. I shot up about 60 ft. in the air after jumping a fence. had several npc's floating around above the ground. All that wouldnt be so bad if i wasent for the f@#$ing controls. Ubisoft said they improved upon AC Brotherhoods controls. Well, dont fix what isnt completely broken. Controls have never been this series strong suit, but this is one the most frustrating thing ive experienced since the controls from GTA4. The one area where AC always blew me away is the story. But im 8.5 hours into this thing and im just barely scratching the main the story. If you cant get your main plot points out into the open in the first say 3-5 hours of the game, then something is wrong. The pacing is just atrocious.

The AI has been ratcheted up in difficulty a few notches. Ive been getting my ass kicked just about every fight i get into. Ive been spotted when i was clearly hidden at least 10 times.

All this is adding up to a fairly unenjoyable experience. If it as any other game i would just chalk it up as a lose and forget about it. But this is AC3 for christs sake. Its supposed to be one of the hallmark games of 2012. Ive been pumped for this thing for MONTHS. Im just so damned disappointed in this thing it hurts. On a side note, i just dont get these fanboys rating it a 10. A 10 game is perfection. It can get no better. Its at its pinnacle. They maybe come around once a year. Look at this game and tell me there is nothing that can be improved. Your lying to yourself and doing a disservice to your fellow gamers.
  4. Feb 20, 2013
    For full review, visit http://www.tumblr.com/blog/hardcoreturnedcasual

After three full Euro-set AC games, Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed III finally broke the mold and made the trip to the New World. And oh, this is such a lofty, ambitious title.. rife with possibilities. It is undeniably jam-packed with content so much so that the main quest almost feels like an afterthought. I
    For full review, visit http://www.tumblr.com/blog/hardcoreturnedcasual

I really wanted to love it.. There are so many amazing games out right now and I don’t have a lot of time on my hands to play them all, so giving AC3 a shot despite the negative reviews was a leap of faith on my part. I wish I could say that my faith was rewarded. What I got from my ultimate risk was a game that was fun in spurts, but eventually felt like a chore here’s why.

CONS (see full review for more)
    -Side quests and item collection doesn’t feel important enough-

I was focusing on the main missions in my playthrough, but that usually doesn’t keep me from getting ANY item/armor/weapon upgrades in a game. The crafting and item upgrade system was not integrated into the main storyline at ALL, and I actually had to look at a walkthrough to see how to even begin to get a new melee weapon.

As for side quests, I felt cheated. The end of game references your “merry band of thieves”, but I never had one because i didn’t care enough to assemble them. There was that French guy from the main quest… but one man does not a band make.

In AC2 I wanted to unlock every weapon and fix the mansion town completely, because I was steered towards the beginnings of those processes. This was not the case in AC3.

But I must say that my main bone of contention lies with the armor upgrades. Even just for aesthetic purposes! Where were the ancient suits of armor, begging to be unlocked? This omission detracted greatly from the short main story as well I like to get drawn into upgrading my character so that I know what I’m getting for my extra trouble. Then, I can feel powerful in mandatory story missions.

PROS (see full review for more)
    -Hub world-

Hub worlds are a lost art. From Demon’s Souls’ Nexus to Hyrule Field in Ocarina of Time, they always seem to add an extra dimension to great games. To a lesser extent than those mentioned above, the cave in AC3 has more parts to open up and explore as you advance in the game’s main quest.

CONCLUSION: Ubisoft is now a big, prestigious studio that has clout, budget and had lots of time to work on Assassin’s Creed III. This many inconsistencies and glitches gameplay failures is inexcusable. It’s just not as epic and grand as the other AC games felt.

From what I understand, there’s a lot more to like if you have time to sink into this game. Exploration may be a lot stronger without the pressure I felt to complete the main story. Crafting new weapons and armor is interesting and likely very fun. Animus hacks for unlimited ammo, health etc. seem like a great way to extent the games shelf-life as well.

While worth a playthrough and undoubtedly better when you delve into more side-quest distractions, the main game of Assassin’s Creed III leaves a lot to be desired and was largely disappointing.
  5. Nov 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay so the Assassin's Creed series is one of my favorite game series. I am a huge history nerd so these games were always perfect for my tastes. But it wasn't even just the history aspects but Desmond's story as well that I enjoyed. AC3 had some great aspects to it but also some rather disappointing setbacks. To soothe my disappointments I am going to start with the bad. So my biggest problem with AC3 was that it wasn't as epic as it could, or should, have been. The game felt like a big tease. Connor was an interesting character but I found myself not caring about (or not noticing) character development. Throughout the game it felt like he just knew something or was doing something with no real explanation. Also it took forever to actually get the story moving. You really don't even start until Sequence 5. I also hoped for more interaction with historical figures and events but there weren't. There is occasionally a sense that you aren't doing anything important. You are just a minor piece in these battles where as in past AC titles you may have been more behind the scenes but you were a crucial part. Sure AI says they wouldn't have been successful without your help but it feels shallow. Also the further you go in the story the motivation for Connor's quest seems to diminish and not makes sense as much. Like with Charles Lee, it is no longer a revenge quest when you find out he didn't kill your mom. He is just a Templar now but you still hate him like he killed your mom. Now on to Desmond. I have always been invested in his story because it is modern and the most easily relatable. You get to some significant playtime as Desmond in this one and they are actually quite entertaining (some of my favorite missions in fact). You get to learn more about the end of the world and the First Civilization and it is all really interesting and you feel like it is going to lead up to something great but when you get to the end it kind of fizzles out. there is so much build up but then the ending just kind of deflates it. Some of us who have spent five years playing these games were expecting something huge to reward our dedication and hours spent playing the games. But alas 'tis not so. Granted it is kind of a twist ending which in a way is cool but I don't think it is the ending this series deserved. Gameplay for AC3 is streamlined. In some places, like free running, it is welcome. In others, like combat, it sucks. To me Brotherhood had the best and simplest combat system. It didn't need to be fixed. Revelations tweaked it a little but not much but AC3, in its attempts to make combat easier, made it more difficult. Combat is supposed to be more fluid but the you might just find yourself dying trying to string together a "fluid" kill streak. The slow motion countering makes you bored, there is no blocking per se buy there is parrying which is okay buy maybe a little too much effort, and fights that often start with three dudes turns into like 50 in a matter of seconds. This leads me to glitches. Like in any AC title there are bound to be some. Most of them in AC3, like in past titles, are easy to live with. But there are a few that will annoy you to no end. You may be totally incognito and then you are suddenly attacked for no reason. Being spotted when you are clearly hidden is also a problem. I had to restart some missions because for some reason the mission would not progress even though I had completed the objectives. Now it might sound like i hated this game so far but remember I gave it a 7. AC 3 has saving graces that make the game good. First off, like all AC games, the visuals are incredible. The frontier is beautiful and it is fun to just "tree fun" and explore the vast wilderness Ubisoft created. While the cities may not be as big or as grand as say Rome or Florence, they are still still amazingly detailed and historically accurate. I was constantly comparing them to their modern counterparts and thinking, "Wow, this is New York?" it is kind of weird but awesome. Also while not always as consistent as it could have been, there is great story telling. Certain parts have potential to cause huge emotional reaction. The new naval battles are surprisingly a lot of fun as well. They take a little time to get used to but they are worth the learning curve. Finally Connor is an interesting character. He may not be as well-liked as Ezio but he still has his moments. While at times very naive and idealistic, he is truly a champion for justice and equality. He is what most people want to be like morally and how we view the founding fathers as (which the games shows they weren't). So while AC3 had its fair share of disappointments and didn't quite live up to its predecessors, it still far exceeds most games. It had potential to be the greatest of the bunch but just because it isn't doesn't mean it is a bad game. I plan on playing this for may more days to come. Expand
  6. Nov 20, 2012
    Slightly better then Revelations but this will be the last AC I ever buy. Declining story, bugs and broken mechanics. I really thought it was going to be turned around with this latest installment but I was very disappointed.
  7. Jan 6, 2013
    Honestly this game should likely be considered a good game, but after AC2 set a high bar, AC 3 just falls flat on its face. The graphics are as sweet as they might get on the PS3 but also glitchy at times. The game is glitchy in many aspects. The camera is shaky and keeps you from seeing you targets, the controls are ofte off and not intelligently placed on the controller (e.g. stopping aHonestly this game should likely be considered a good game, but after AC2 set a high bar, AC 3 just falls flat on its face. The graphics are as sweet as they might get on the PS3 but also glitchy at times. The game is glitchy in many aspects. The camera is shaky and keeps you from seeing you targets, the controls are ofte off and not intelligently placed on the controller (e.g. stopping a slow horse is the same button as spurring a horse that has picked up some speed), the missions are too unevenly balanced - too easy or way too hard - checkpoints are placed badly and the freerunning system that had been the staple of AC is more often than not the more complicated way to get somewhere - you DO NOT EVEN WANT to climb buildings and run around the roofs in some cases. Why would you spoil the trademark of your game?
    As mentioned above the real problem is that this feels like a good game that you would want to play, but the small problems amass and mar your gaming experience, oftentimes leaving you frustrated wanting to punch someone - most likely the programmers at Ubisoft. I get why people would rate it as a good game, but I can't help but wonder if they played a different game when grading it above 80 %.
  8. Dec 28, 2012
    The good stuff: Sprawling environments with entirely new architecture for freerunning (trees), animals and hunting, naval missions, a commerce system which requires attention, side quests galore, and dynamic weather which actually affects missions. If it were just the stuff they added to the game, I
  9. Dec 15, 2012
    I liked brotherhood and number one, but jeese this is ridiculous. Its technically horrible and honestly probably the least interesting. I am finding everything frustrating, multiplayer is good though and probably the best part of this one in opposition to brotherhood. A horrible thing is the missions baby step you until a certain point then pull of the training wheels so quickly you haveI liked brotherhood and number one, but jeese this is ridiculous. Its technically horrible and honestly probably the least interesting. I am finding everything frustrating, multiplayer is good though and probably the best part of this one in opposition to brotherhood. A horrible thing is the missions baby step you until a certain point then pull of the training wheels so quickly you have no idea what you are doing. Mechanics with this series have been a terrible problem but in this game they are to heavy to ignore. Expand
  10. Nov 3, 2012
    Such a beautiful game, but it does have its flaws. The game is pretty glitchy, characters go missing while in conversation sometimes, while running the character attends to freak out, on occasions, the character attends to glide for some reason, and other minor ones. The environments is gorgeous, to the city of Boston to the deep wilderness of the Frontier. Gameplay and multiplayer isSuch a beautiful game, but it does have its flaws. The game is pretty glitchy, characters go missing while in conversation sometimes, while running the character attends to freak out, on occasions, the character attends to glide for some reason, and other minor ones. The environments is gorgeous, to the city of Boston to the deep wilderness of the Frontier. Gameplay and multiplayer is really fun. But the biggest problem of the game is the ending. Its very unsatisfying. The story is good until you reach the ending. You will probably spend about 10-12 hours on the game, if you just do main missions. Expand
  11. Nov 24, 2012
    This game is just overly long, and too boring to finish. I will be honest and say that I didn't finish the game. I beat all of the previous titles except the first one(sleep inducing). As much as Revelations really irked my soul, I had enough faith in ubisoft to redeem it, and make this franchise go out with a bang ... but they instead went out on a wimper. After 15 hours I just couldn'tThis game is just overly long, and too boring to finish. I will be honest and say that I didn't finish the game. I beat all of the previous titles except the first one(sleep inducing). As much as Revelations really irked my soul, I had enough faith in ubisoft to redeem it, and make this franchise go out with a bang ... but they instead went out on a wimper. After 15 hours I just couldn't do it anymore. First off Conner, while being the most skilled Assassin out of Ezio and Altair, has the personality that is about as interesting as a brick. The story was not engaging what so ever, and after youtubing the ending, I can say that im glad I shipped it back early. Seriously what is with this year and endings? At least Mass Effect 3 was entertaining up until it's pathetic ending. But playing a game with a boring story, boring character, repetitive game play,and a weak ending just adds up to an epic fail. The only positive that I can give is that the game is stunning. But beautiful graphics is not a game make. Sorry Ubisoft but I no longer want to know what happens next, I am no longer intrigued, because the Assassin's Creed franchise is no longer intriguing. Expand
  12. Nov 5, 2012
    Assassins Creed III could have been great but the controls and bugs are so horrible that the game quickly becomes a trial with almost each mission. You'll find yourself yelling out loud at the developers, "WTF! Really!!?? A real controller buster.
    Geez. Everything else was done so friggin well but good lord, ubisoft, invest a little more time in testing. It's a shame. If not for my horse getting hung up on tiny rocks in the middle of chases, Conner getting hung up or simply performing WTF actions(to numerous to specify) on just about any random thing, I would have given it a 9. Damn! There's so much good stuff here but the control issues just ruin it.
    Massive ubisoft fail.
  13. Dec 13, 2012
    I really don't recommend buying this game full price, maybe buying cheaper, but for $ 60,00, it isn't worth this price. The game is unfinished, they wasted too much time on the engine and graphics, so there wasn't money and time left for adding, you know? Gameplay. The missions are linear, scripted, short, and unchallenging, even Assassins creed I is better than this game and I hatedI really don't recommend buying this game full price, maybe buying cheaper, but for $ 60,00, it isn't worth this price. The game is unfinished, they wasted too much time on the engine and graphics, so there wasn't money and time left for adding, you know? Gameplay. The missions are linear, scripted, short, and unchallenging, even Assassins creed I is better than this game and I hated Assassins Creed I. The side activities are pointless, I got bored very quickly when I discovered that most side missions required of me to watch two or more loading screens, walk half the map to just beat a random dude or to do a simple fetch quest to some generic NPC. The game is just a big interactive movie, the story is decent, but is no way as good as assssin's creed II . I really don't understand, why Ubisoft want to turn all their games into interactive movies. Do you like interactive movies? Buy Walking dead instead (the story is way better and its cheaper too). Do you like open world games? Better games for you: Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Read Dead Redemption. Do you really want to buy an assassins creed game? Buy assassins creed II (it's still a game an not an interactive movie, will not bore you to death with endless cutscenes, the story is way better). Really want to buy this game? Better buy used or wait for the price to drop. If you buy this game for $ 60,00, you are just wasting your money and if this game sales are good, I fear for the future of the franchise. Expand
  14. Oct 30, 2012
    Another year and another Assassins's Creed game which basically plays itself. Yes, making a game to hard and challenging can frustrate people, yet making it too easy will bore them. Good game design means finding a balance between those 2 extremes. And it's might be just me, yet I take a little frustration over boredom any day in a game. Because managing something that was difficult leavesAnother year and another Assassins's Creed game which basically plays itself. Yes, making a game to hard and challenging can frustrate people, yet making it too easy will bore them. Good game design means finding a balance between those 2 extremes. And it's might be just me, yet I take a little frustration over boredom any day in a game. Because managing something that was difficult leaves you with a feeling of accomplishment, finishing something that was boringly easy one the other hand just leaves you bored. And a game isn't supposed to bore you, causing boredom is pretty much the opposite of what a game should do.

Or maybe you are one of those people who enjoy to cheat in multiplayer games, or usually run through single player titles in god-mode, because in that case this might be a game for you. For those who require a little challenge in order not to grow bored with a game, better look elsewhere.
  15. Nov 1, 2012
    Assassins Creed has always been one of my favourite games, that was until Revelations came along which was a blatant cash in offering nothing new. The highlight of the series has been Brotherhood in my opinion. So here is Assassins Creed 3.

I won't spoil anything but this game takes ages to get going, I'm talking hours I'm all up for setting the scene but to be honest its dull, I don't want to have my hand held I want to be treated like I have the intelligence to do things my way not be punished if I go off the path. The environments are beautiful - especially the Frontier which is alive with dense forest, animals going about their day and deep sparkling snow. The cities in comparison are alive but feel "generic" . Cut scenes are everywhere which really dig into the immersion as do the messy menus which lift you out of the game.

At the start for reasons you'll discover you can't climb the trees and this drip feeding of abilities is like Gran Turismo saying you can't get out of second gear until you have proved you can go round a corner without crashing.

I hope it picks up I really do but I can't help but feel this has run its course now.
  16. Nov 8, 2012
    AC3 is one of the more bizarre games i've played recently. A schizophrenic experience of ambitious new features like the Homestead, Naval battles and teh Frontier added to the traditional Ac formula. Despite a grand premise the game falls flat. Firstly,the pacing is atrocious - you'll spend most of the main story doing 'tutorial missions' which ironically do a poor job. Next, ConnorAC3 is one of the more bizarre games i've played recently. A schizophrenic experience of ambitious new features like the Homestead, Naval battles and teh Frontier added to the traditional Ac formula. Despite a grand premise the game falls flat. Firstly,the pacing is atrocious - you'll spend most of the main story doing 'tutorial missions' which ironically do a poor job. Next, Connor is a wooden void of a character drivng a story that hops about without any sense of purpose with interesting characters like his mother cast aside so you can meet a who's who list of American historical figures who are mostly bland. Even though all the new features are beautifully done, they feel detached and unimportant to the main game. and it's the main game that has had the least care given to it. Even improvements like the combat and animations have issues. Tho Connor feels faster and maneuverable on the ground the parkour has worsened; despite being simplified it feels sticky and unpredictable. The Ai is still painfully erratic, and the mechanics clunky, making stealth at times borderline-broken. Pop-in and gliches abound, horses are simply awful and combat is so easy, it's a superior strategy to take on a fort of 30 gun-and sword weilding soldiers in a straight on fight than attempt a stealthy infiltration. AC3 is in many senses a great achievement, in others a painful, bloated mess, that could have done with Ubisoft addressing core issues that have plagued the series before they decided to add so much on top. Expand
  17. Jan 5, 2013
    The first couple of quests at the start where you play Naytham or whatever were so boring and dull I almost sold the game back right away. Then I pushed ahead to where you become rukhanheketon or whatever his name is and the game became bearable for a while longer. After about 10 or so hours I stopped all sidequests and just grinded thru the main story so I wouldn't feel bad for selling itThe first couple of quests at the start where you play Naytham or whatever were so boring and dull I almost sold the game back right away. Then I pushed ahead to where you become rukhanheketon or whatever his name is and the game became bearable for a while longer. After about 10 or so hours I stopped all sidequests and just grinded thru the main story so I wouldn't feel bad for selling it without finishing it. Expand
  18. Dec 31, 2012
    What is Assassin's Creed 3's core mechanic? Is it stealth? No, because if one enemy spots you, all enemies are instantly aware of your position somehow. Even though there's an indicator for how much an enemy can see you, and it's plenty fun to sneak up behind an enemy, sometimes my character would do something stupid because I didn't press the buttons contextually enough for the gamesWhat is Assassin's Creed 3's core mechanic? Is it stealth? No, because if one enemy spots you, all enemies are instantly aware of your position somehow. Even though there's an indicator for how much an enemy can see you, and it's plenty fun to sneak up behind an enemy, sometimes my character would do something stupid because I didn't press the buttons contextually enough for the games liking, and most of the missions don't involve stealth but when they do it's controller- snappingly obtuse. Is it hack and slash combat? Maybe, because there are plenty enemies in one vicinity at once and jumping in there taking them all out Arkham-style is really fun, but the game wants you to be unnoticed, you know, with the big inconspicuous hood and all, so killing everyone that looks at you funny isn't the optimal solution. Is it the naval missions? No, they're awesome in their own right and I love them, but they only appear in two of the story missions. Well done! You've done a story mission! Now you have the pleasure of being able to do something absolutely **** tedious. So no, AC3 has no core mechanic and remains an unfocused and buggy game throughout. The sidequests are dull too, with the hunting not being rewarded with anything but being pretty cool despite that. Let's just take a look back to Assassin's Creed 1, where it's core mechanic was Assassinating, hence the title. It was repetitive and you spent too much time faffing about, but at least it was a game about assassinating with just a set of tools and a target so you can find your own way to take out the enemy, whatever way you would like too. Over the years, the series has added so many more useless gimmicks that the series has become completely unfocused. I guess I should give credit where credit is due, the combat system being fast, fun and intuitive, the graphics are incredible, the aforementioned naval missions are extremely engaging and I really loved them, the new Assassin's Armour is the best one yet, the overall historical accuracy being, well, historically accurate, the writing is excellent, even though the story is conveluted and barely connected to the original Assassin's Creed story-line, the menu's are really well designed, the free-running is the best I've seen in a game, even though it does get a bit too contextual at times, and it's a fresh departure from the series that takes away the scrambled **** from the previous games. However, the scrambled eggs it took away from the previous games that made them less intuitive and focused, it completely dropped the assassinating bit, so this just becomes an unfocused generic action game, whereas its predecessors were quite original at the time and remained fun whilst also being a bit too easy. This one suffers from being a bit too easy as well, I died most of the time because Connor did something stupid. For an open world sandbox game, this needs to be less contextual, because it gets on my nerves when I cant climb up a wall unless the contextual 'Climb up the wall' button shows up. This was a problem with the previous games as well, I just want to be able to run freely without needing to press the correct button at the correct time. As an Englishman, I felt uncomfortable killng my own men, but I just got used to it over time. See, this is also a problem about the game, its set in a war that's only interesting to American Patriots and to no one else. Connor brutalising Englishman because he's not wearing the same colour as them makes Connor look like the biggest monster of them all, especially when you can't exactly demonize people sodding off later on because they couldn't be bothered any more, or maybe I'm just biased. The French renaissance would of been a much more interesting setting, because in 1775 America, there aren't any big buildings to go free running on and the whole running part is a lot less fun. But at the same time in France there are heads being chopped off, the peasants vs. the Aristocracy, there's a much more believable side you can take without being gung-ho American patriot or gung-ho French patriot. Civil wars are much more interesting, oh, what about the American civil war? Where enough time has gone by for there to be cool buildings to jump around on, war is becoming industrialised, and it's the brutal slave-owning savages of the south vs. the freedom fighting civilised north, and there's a war on so there's plenty of killing for your liking, and hey, they could of had mid-19th century Connor bump fists with Lincoln. Sure, the north outnumbered the south 2:1 but it's better than the boring old redcoats. This game is overall a pretty mixed bag, and if you do consider playing it, don't go in with your expectations too high, like I did. If you go into it with the knowledge that it's an average game, you'll come out feeling satisfied. Expand
  19. Oct 31, 2012
    Well, I can say I have been really looking forward to this game! I have been a huge fan since I first played AC. I have played AC3 for 2 hours and my first impressions of the game ... the game play isn't the same (they have been working too hard to make it realistic in my opinion), the usual "AC feeling" is gone (you know, a cool assassin, good story, great locations). They've put too muchWell, I can say I have been really looking forward to this game! I have been a huge fan since I first played AC. I have played AC3 for 2 hours and my first impressions of the game ... the game play isn't the same (they have been working too hard to make it realistic in my opinion), the usual "AC feeling" is gone (you know, a cool assassin, good story, great locations). They've put too much time into making the game realistic (and complicated). It should have been a better idea to spend more time on debugging ... I've spotted several bugs already. It still is a good game though, but no AC game ... I liked the previous AC games more than I like this one. Expand
  20. Oct 31, 2012
    Before I begin, just want to state that I have NOT finished the game. Have spent a good chunk of last night and this morning playing the game, and wanted to share my views thus far. First off, the game is utterly beautiful. The landscapes, cities, character models... all are exquisitely detailed and captivating. You may find yourself just standing still and taking it all in. But lets faceBefore I begin, just want to state that I have NOT finished the game. Have spent a good chunk of last night and this morning playing the game, and wanted to share my views thus far. First off, the game is utterly beautiful. The landscapes, cities, character models... all are exquisitely detailed and captivating. You may find yourself just standing still and taking it all in. But lets face it, that has always been a major part of the AC universe. The storyline is grand and sweeping, and I was shocked to start not only as Desmond or Connor, but as a new character. If you are curious how much time this game is going to take.... it took me one hour of play just to get to the opening credits after going through the prologue. Four more hours until I got my first glimpse of Connor.

Now, the downside of what I have noticed so far. The controls are greatly improved, but are still lacking in many ways. Part of is my slavish insistence to use the old controls, hard to break that RT + A free run habit. Once you do, the paths are pretty smooth and Connor is not as Clunky as his predecessors, though unfortunately a lot less likable than the affable Ezio. I have not yet noticed a difference in Combat. It doesn't feel all that smooth, but it could be that it was intentionally this way for the young Connor and the older character played at the start. Hoping this improves as the game goes on.

My biggest frustration this far has been with the AI and some of the button mashing sequences. The AI has seemingly been ramped up(again it could be due to the character progression) and can be ridiculously frustrating. It seems, at times, for being such a master Assassin that stealth isn't an option. The guards in the early Boston missions are hyper-alert and spot you no matter what you do. It seems the hiding spots are sparse and because of the open map plan you typically get spotted before being able to use them. One mission I completed while at level 3 notoriety because after 5 attempts I couldn't get to the mission markers without being spotted and chased by hordes of baddies. While I enjoy the combat sequences, I also enjoy the stealth aspect just as much, and it is aggravating having to replay missions over and over again because you can't disappear into the crowd as easily as previous titles. I like a challenge as much as the next guy, but lets face it, there is such thing as TOO MUCH.

Other frustrations come from in-game sequences such as lock-picking and on rails fight sequences. To pick a lock, you have to rotate LS to a certain point and hold it, then rotate RS to a point and hold it, and then Mash RT repeatedly. If you let up on the sticks at all, you have to start back at square 1. Almost threw my controller 3 minutes into the game. I am not a fan of "Button Mashing Sequences" (Press A then Y then X repeatedly, etc). These flash so quickly up onto the screen that you tend to miss the direction. You can figure out the pattern, but it is frustrating to be sure. The missions themselves are passable, but they seemingly set you up to fail the sub-challenges. I enjoy trying to get full sync on the missions, and there are times on this game where that feels impossible. On one mission, for example, you aren't supposed to kill any guards, but you have to collect a map from inside a tent. One guard stands directly in front of the tent and patrols a 3 foot path across the entry. If there is a way to distract him and send him away, the game didn't tell me. After multiple replays (again, the guards have an uncanny ability to spot you(and in this stage you are playing as a supposed "master"), I had no choice but to assassinate the guard, failing 2/3 sub-challenges on the mission. I had NO desire to go back and replay. On another mission you are supposed to make a river rescue without touching the water... Connor immediately jumped straight into the water after the cut scene.

I have voiced my concerns, but don't feel like I am saying the game is inherently bad. It has some frustrating aspects to be sure. The thing is, the game is still fun and exciting. I still enjoy traversing the environment and the story. I am looking forward to seeing what happens next. Time will tell as to how I ultimately feel about this game. Right now I am enjoying it, but have had some very frustrating moments. I love the challenge of games, but to me it isn't fun having to replay missions over and over again. If it continues, it may turn out that this title ends up collecting dust on my shelf as I move on to BO II or other titles coming out. So far it is worth the investment... but I would caution buyers that you need to be patient with it. If you are not willing to work your way through the lengthy intro to get to the main character... this game may not be for you.

*Note- I had this nicely spaced out and paragraphed... MetaCritic forces it into a Wall of Text. FAIL.
  21. Oct 31, 2012
    I'm a little over an hour in and it's nothing what I expected, I'm some what very disappointed, I wanted to give it a worst rating but I think 5 is very fair. So far it feels nothing like the previous assassin creeds, it's filled with way to may cut scenes and loading every few minutes, the controls are a little funny and different. It kinda reminds me of some one trying to copy assassinsI'm a little over an hour in and it's nothing what I expected, I'm some what very disappointed, I wanted to give it a worst rating but I think 5 is very fair. So far it feels nothing like the previous assassin creeds, it's filled with way to may cut scenes and loading every few minutes, the controls are a little funny and different. It kinda reminds me of some one trying to copy assassins creed and doing lousy job at it, like I said I'm only in a little over an hour so I hope it gets better, and I'm no expert but I am a Serious assassins creed fan, I played over thousands of video games and buy 9/10 of every new release that comes out so take this advice from a true gamer. Expand
  22. Nov 1, 2012
    Assassins Creed 3 is a true evolution of character & era, personally the greatest thing about the AC franchise has always been the movement of your character. The movement feels much smoother throughout every AC and in AC3 it feels as smoother then it ever has been from a light feint step to simply sneaking into bushes and quickly climbing trees, the agile free running feels effortlessAssassins Creed 3 is a true evolution of character & era, personally the greatest thing about the AC franchise has always been the movement of your character. The movement feels much smoother throughout every AC and in AC3 it feels as smoother then it ever has been from a light feint step to simply sneaking into bushes and quickly climbing trees, the agile free running feels effortless with the press of one button held down and the combat feels as fluid as ever. The presentation and animation seemed like they were improved too a new height for the franchise and the visuals are stunning and brings along a strong value of exploration for vast amount of side missions while displaying some beautiful scenery of America on your journey throughout the game. The minor downfalls would be the odd dull dialogues which made me doze of at times as well a slow pace of story throughout the game which takes a bit of patience for those who await some action, the technical sides are not a big deal to me but the odd long loading screen does get annoying and the odd glitch and frame rate do appear at time. Another minor con would be the camera angles at times. The highlight system for me personally has always annoyed me in all the ACs but it tends to develop into your style of play. The greatest achievement for Ubisoft is the fruition of ideas being well thought of and carefully implemented into the game as well as creating a great plot from our human history and illustrating a great movie like title with Connor being the star of the show. Nothing bad to say about AC3 but it falls a bit short from a masterpiece and almost equals AC2 in terms of satisfaction and game play. Expand
  23. Nov 1, 2012
    This game was a big let down. They made the mistake of promising a new AC game every year, and made a bigger mistake of actually fulfilling that promise. This game isn't finished, a AAA title should not have the amount of bugs or AI problems that this game has. The AI is absolutely terrible and incredibly inconsistent, there are times where the guards will spot you from a mile away,This game was a big let down. They made the mistake of promising a new AC game every year, and made a bigger mistake of actually fulfilling that promise. This game isn't finished, a AAA title should not have the amount of bugs or AI problems that this game has. The AI is absolutely terrible and incredibly inconsistent, there are times where the guards will spot you from a mile away, even when incognito, and others where you can kill a guard 3 feet in front of another one, and he just stands there. The guards also get stuck on objects often, making it difficult to escape undetected.

The bugs and AI are actually not even the biggest problem with the game. The first 5 sequences are way too long, they could have cut 2/3s of the game play out and you would have gotten the same story. Its basically a very long tutorial, which in the 5th iteration of a game isn't needed. Especially when you can learn all of it from the animus tutorials. In previous Assassins Creed games it felt that the story missions were leading you to the climax of the story, in this game it feels like they are only there to kill time before you get to the end. The story also seems as though it was written by a group of people who didn't communicate with each other, they just wrote their own parts and stapled them all together, its just too random in parts. Much of the game is just filler, you listen to the historical characters talk for longer before a mission starts, than the time it takes to actually complete the mission.

Now the controls, this is a personal pet peeve of mine and im sure not everyone had the same problem. After you make four games with basically the same controls, why would you change the combat controls for the fifth game. Why fix what wasn't broken, I agree combat was very easy in the previous games, but you didn't make it any harder you just annoy the people who are used the the old controls until they get used to the new ones.

Another annoyance I had was that the had Conner speaking Iroquois too often in the early parts of his story. This wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't have him and the others speak 5 words per minute. They didn't have Ezio speak Italian often, which is spoken quickly, and they rarely had Altair speak Arabic, which is also a quickly spoken language. I actually had to skip a few cut scenes which luckily they allow you to do, because they were painful to sit though.

This game wasn't finished, but they released it anyway, guess thats what happens when you give out the release date 6 months in advance. I prefer Valves way of doing things, delay until its done right.
  24. Nov 9, 2012
    I love the AC series, but this one was a huge disappointment for me. The graphics are good, i like the large map, and running around the outdoors and seeing the wildlife i loved, but when it came to the game play i hated it. The game starts off really slow you don't play as Connor for 3-4hrs and you get to him at Sequence 3 or 4. There are glitches everywhere in this game! When i was inI love the AC series, but this one was a huge disappointment for me. The graphics are good, i like the large map, and running around the outdoors and seeing the wildlife i loved, but when it came to the game play i hated it. The game starts off really slow you don't play as Connor for 3-4hrs and you get to him at Sequence 3 or 4. There are glitches everywhere in this game! When i was in the lake near the Homestead i saw Achilles' cane floating above the sunken ship. What pissed me off with the game play was that...it just sucked. The whole "press O" to do a counter or break defense i couldn't stand it and a lot of times it different work. Ubisoft should've left the controls the way they originally were. I thought the Revoluntionary War was going to have a huge part in this game, but it doesn't to the point where you forget that there's even a war going on. What was the purpose of having that as a trailer? There are a couple lags where someone is talking, but their lips aren't moving. Stealth is horrible. When a guard detects you, you hide, and of course they come over to investigate, instead of going away right way they stand there for forever. Horse riding sucks, the horses run really slow (they were way faster in the previous ones) and when you get shot at the horses fall over. In my opinion its faster to get to places on foot. What's the point of recruiting assassin's? They're completely useless and i hate the way of getting them. You have to do 3 missions just to get them and for third mission the icon DOES NOT appear on the map. You have to go look for them yourself which is a pain in the ass. Viewpoints.....doesn't uncover a huge chung like it did in previous games and even when you do all VP's the map still isn't fully uncovered! Notoriety....you can have NO notoriety and then out of nowhere guards attack you for NO REASON! It's hard to escape them because there are guards on every corner. I should'nt have to walk/run down the street worrying if guards are going to attack me or not. If you're into getting Full Syncs its like almost impossible to get them in this game. One for example: in the last sequence you're chasing Charles Lee and their optional objective is "Stay under 50m" from him. IMPOSSIBLE! How can i do that when the guards, who are blocking you from catching him, shoot an explosive barrel that makes you fall over? Or if you don't get hit by the blast the guards will just push you down and Connor takes forever to get back up. The story is ok, Connor is a bore and is too serious all the time and i really wanted to like him, but i kind of don't. Oh yeah and sometimes Connor acts like he can't climp up a damn ledge. I personally say don't listen to G4 or whoever that are giving this game a 10/10 because it definitely is not. 5/10 Expand
  25. Jan 28, 2013
    Like Resident Evil 6, this game has just too many issues. Too many brick walls. Right when you're getting into it you're hit with some section which has you questioning if you even want to go on. Note: having to take out every bad guy on a boat using the exact method the developer demands, requiring endless trial and error and reloading ten times is not fun. It's a relic of the worst oldLike Resident Evil 6, this game has just too many issues. Too many brick walls. Right when you're getting into it you're hit with some section which has you questioning if you even want to go on. Note: having to take out every bad guy on a boat using the exact method the developer demands, requiring endless trial and error and reloading ten times is not fun. It's a relic of the worst old stealth games. The stealth in general is just terrible and pointless. Bad guys everywhere and you always just end up in a fight anyways so you just stop trying stealth at all. Incredible world and many amazing sections make the game good overall, but forget about the polish, just as the developers did. Expand
  26. Nov 3, 2012
    Assassin's creed III is both a success and disappointment in my eyes. The beautifully realised colonial America is a true highlight. The vast array of side missions gives the impression of a real and inhabited world that the player can explore. Great aspects for me were the frontier man missions, which send Connor searching for evidence to prove or dismiss the existence of myths and tallAssassin's creed III is both a success and disappointment in my eyes. The beautifully realised colonial America is a true highlight. The vast array of side missions gives the impression of a real and inhabited world that the player can explore. Great aspects for me were the frontier man missions, which send Connor searching for evidence to prove or dismiss the existence of myths and tall tales. The naval missions blew me away, even when i was sailing on cool calm waters. The homestead missions are great, i felt myself growing attached to the various characters moving in on my land and enjoyed helping them out. However on the other end of the scale glitches, frequent loading screens and unrefined controls can really get on your nerves. It really feels like they should have spent that little bit more polishing the game up in these aspects. It really would have made all the difference. All in all a great game, just not quite up to the standard i was expecting from a game of this calibre. Expand
  27. Jan 4, 2013
    Excellent storytelling,, awesome scenario, awesome graphics, but the bugs, combat glitches, and many quest glitches plague this game endlessly, you will be forced to do the same mission 20 times as you keep getting spawned in unlucky spots, or randomly generated npc's will block you, i won't spoil much about the ending, but if you can suffer through the numerous glitches and errors thatExcellent storytelling,, awesome scenario, awesome graphics, but the bugs, combat glitches, and many quest glitches plague this game endlessly, you will be forced to do the same mission 20 times as you keep getting spawned in unlucky spots, or randomly generated npc's will block you, i won't spoil much about the ending, but if you can suffer through the numerous glitches and errors that plague this game, you will enjoy it, the games centered around Ezio are still superior imo. It feels like they took a couple steps back in this game, almost assassins creed 1ish in its approach. Expand
  28. Nov 28, 2012
    I really enjoyed the game play, it was different to other Assassin's Creed games. It was the first game to include hunting and I found myself hunting for hours. I felt like towards the end, the storyline was a little bit rushed, I also feel that at the beginning it was really slow and you had to get to sequence 6 to really find yourself enjoying the game. I feel like the combat was madeI really enjoyed the game play, it was different to other Assassin's Creed games. It was the first game to include hunting and I found myself hunting for hours. I felt like towards the end, the storyline was a little bit rushed, I also feel that at the beginning it was really slow and you had to get to sequence 6 to really find yourself enjoying the game. I feel like the combat was made too easy, all you had to do is press O and you would kill enemies, you didn't even have to face them while pressing O.
    The main reason I gave this game a 6/10 rating is because of the ending, I felt like I had wasted hours upon hours playing this Assassin's creed game and the previous Assassin's creed games for nothing. I was left disappointed because you were given options and you didn't even decide which option to pick. I would NOT recommend this game to people who really like the storyline of Desmond, but if you are more about the assassins and could careless what happens to Desmond ,than I would recommend this but even if you don't like the Desmond storyline (I'm more about the assassins), you will still be left disappointed.
  29. Jan 3, 2013
    Well I just beat AC3 and I'm here to write my review about it. Lets start off by naming some good things about this game. The Story is great! It does get a bit confusing with all the names and people that you know and sometimes it feels like I really didn't know why I was doing what it was I was doing. Overall I will give the story 8 out of 10. The graphics are the best in the Assassin'sWell I just beat AC3 and I'm here to write my review about it. Lets start off by naming some good things about this game. The Story is great! It does get a bit confusing with all the names and people that you know and sometimes it feels like I really didn't know why I was doing what it was I was doing. Overall I will give the story 8 out of 10. The graphics are the best in the Assassin's Creed series. It does have it'ts downfalls which we will get to later. Graphics get a 9 out of 10. Controls in AC3 are a bit....odd. I never got used to Triangle being the fire button for guns. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. Running is a bit clunky because when you are sprinting full speed you tend to run up something that you really don't want to run up causing you to jump around like an idiot. Controls get a 7 out of 10. Now this game as many downfalls. Lets get to the BIGGEST one I found. First I'd like to say that I don't like side missions in AC. I don't do them and never will. When I play AC I want the main story and that is it. The setting for AC3 is HUGE. That is it's biggest down fall. When I finish one main mission in Boston it sends me to New York. Doesn't sound bad right? I mean theres fast travel in this game so how long can it take? Well heres thing. To get to boston to New York you must first: Fast travel to the frontier, but this doesn't take you to the frontier. no it takes you to the beginning of Boston, then you must turn around and it will ask if you want to Fast Travel to the frontier then you say yes and it takes you to the frontier, THEN you open your map and fast travel to New York, buuuuuuut, It takes you to right before New York and then ask if u want to Fast Travel to New York. Then after about 3 minutes of doing that you must run (literally) 500m to the next main mission. THATS BULL **** why can't I just fast travel to NEW YORK!? This isn't the only time either it happens more then once. One time i had to run 1235m on horse just to get to the next mission. NO UBISOFT JUST NO. Most of the game is cut scenes. In fact this is the game in a nutshell; running, watching a cut scene, loading, watching another cut scene, run some more, kill 1 person, watch another cut scene, turn off game, sell game to GameStop, play Dishonored. Overall if you like a good story AC3 is perfect for you. Just bear in mind you will have a lot of running and load screens in between the main story. Expand
  30. Dec 27, 2012
    I love the Assassin's Creed series. Although Brotherhood and Revelations were simply rehashes, I enjoyed playing it but AC3 was a disappointment, even when I didn't expect much. I really didn't like the idea of jumping to the 18th century but that wasn't the main problem. I spend half the game walking around pointlessly by foot or horse in a arduous journey to reach my objective. TheI love the Assassin's Creed series. Although Brotherhood and Revelations were simply rehashes, I enjoyed playing it but AC3 was a disappointment, even when I didn't expect much. I really didn't like the idea of jumping to the 18th century but that wasn't the main problem. I spend half the game walking around pointlessly by foot or horse in a arduous journey to reach my objective. The combat system is annoying and a big let down. If anymore games AC games release that follows AC3, I will definitely not buy it. Expand
  31. Oct 30, 2012
    If you're a fan of the Assassin's Creed series, you'll feel right at home with AC3. Ubisoft has breathed new life into the series with a Revolutionary War setting in colonial America, and its just as authentic as you've come to expect. Every aspect of the game has been improved, free running is faster, easier, and more fluid and combat is an absolute joy, although the controls have beenIf you're a fan of the Assassin's Creed series, you'll feel right at home with AC3. Ubisoft has breathed new life into the series with a Revolutionary War setting in colonial America, and its just as authentic as you've come to expect. Every aspect of the game has been improved, free running is faster, easier, and more fluid and combat is an absolute joy, although the controls have been slightly tweaked so it may take a battle or two for fans to get accustomed to. As usual the story and realism of the environment is what really stand out here, developers have outdone themselves this go around. It all culminates into one spectacular experience that players won't soon forget. Collapse

1. Mar 6, 2013
    The Assassin’s Creed formula of fighting and parkour is starting to get old, even with the ability to climb trees now. Maybe it’s the repetitiveness of the series, or maybe it’s just less interesting to toss crates of tea into the harbour than to hunt and kill corrupt bishops.
  2. Dec 3, 2012
    This review is getting long-winded so let's wrap it up. Assassin's Creed III is the biggest and most ambitious Assassin's Creed title yet, but a few missteps leaves it short of being the series' best. In spite of my excessive nitpicking, Assassin's Creed III is great game and a must-have for any Assassin's fan.
  3. Nov 26, 2012
    A great continuation of the Assassin's Creed series because of the strong visuals, gameplay and story. Though it must be said that the story gets somewhat boring towards the end, which leaves a sour taste.