6.9

1. Oct 19, 2014
    Pursue your enemies through 1775 America in an ever-changing environment. From the legendary battlefields of Lexington and Concord and the bustling streets of Boston and New York, to the snow-covered Appalachian wilderness, you’ll wage war in a stunningly mutable environment. Whether you’re tracking your quarry’s blood trail through fresh snow, or taking advantage of driving winds and thick fog to hide your attack, liberty is on the line, so unleash your killing power in Assassin's Creed 3. Expand
  2. Oct 13, 2014
    Not a bad game, but is a disappointment once more with a weak and pungent story-line. Game-play has improved since Revelations, and the graphics are very appealing, however this game was hyped beyond it's borders.
    6/10 - Ben Hazelden
  3. Sep 20, 2014
    llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
  4. Sep 12, 2014
    I liked the first one at the time, very disappointed with the second one while it remains the favorite of a lot of fans, did not expect too much with Assassin's creed III and I was extremely surprised. The game is less repetitive, exploring woods and going at sea feels great, the story is excellent, I loved it.
  5. Aug 13, 2014
    Assassin's Creed III
    Game-play:It has been improved with more fluid combat and better climbing but there are some glitches that are really annoying,the counter mechanic is very well made and makes the game fun but it also makes the game very easy,the best part of the game is the ship battles which are well made and really fun
    Story:A good story that it will take you 11 to 12 hours but
    the characters in the game are boring even Connor the only interesting character in the game is Haytham,but the story out side the animus is better than ever
    Graphics:At last we have an improvement at graphics which they are really good
    Notes:The game has a lot of weapons like bow and tomahawk which is fun to play,i like that the game has 2 cities and a big forest it was really fun to play there,most of the side missions are well made and fun,i recommend getting this game worth full price but it is still far from the AC2
  6. Jul 17, 2014
    If you played the first assassins creed games do not expect this one to come anywhere close to living up to them. Nothing about this game can be said to live up to the previous games except maybe the graphics. The free-running is bad, they've definitely gone backwards there (riding a horse is even worse, to the point that it's better just to run most of the time even though it takes longer), fighting is boring and never ending if you ever end up fighting guards near areas they're walking (new ones keep showing up, I had the ground in a large circle around me completely covered in guard corpses before I finally just ran away), the characters kind of suck and it feels like the game is more than half cinematics. The only thing they added that was at all positive is the ability to pet random animals which is entertaining for a few seconds at least. In short the game is aggravating and just plain bad but in respect to its predecessors I can't convince myself to stop playing in the hopes that eventually it will get something right. Expand
  7. Jun 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here it is- the reason that we play Assassin's Creed. The grand end to Desmond's arc and the most advanced entry since II. The Ezio trilogy is finished, after two great, if uninnovative spin offs. Revelations began to show cracks in the once pristine formula of AC, but now that formula has been renewed for more entries from the most popular historic action game in our industry. I just want to add one more thing before I get into the meat of the review- screw you haters. Those who give this game 0s and 1s. Sure, it's buggy, but so is the critically acclaimed Skyrim and I had more problems with that than this (stupid crashes). Lack of innovation? What do you call advanced combat, parkour, crafting, economy... This list goes on. Now that I've ranted, let's talk.

Once again, the story is remarkable. It kicks off with Desmond, who gets a nice slice of content in this game. I was actually looking forward to the present day sections this time around and even if numerous glitches arise throughout his four main adventures, I still loved his greater focus on stealth and the story is nowhere near as confusing as it was in Revelations (first person puzzles are absent thank god!). Over in the Animus, the real action kicks off with Haytham Kenway. The main gameplay mechanics are experienced through him and while his section feels like a 3 hour tutorial, the story telling is remarkable and builds up to a killer final act that ends in a killer twist. Fast forward a few years and we're with Rahok- no I'm not even gonna try pronouncing his name. It's pronounced Rah-ha-doo-n-a-gay-doo and he is the main protagonist. We stick with him for the rest of the game, but the first three hours are spent playing as him in his youth. He later changes his name to the more pronouncable Connor Kenway and embarks on an epic quest to free America and bring justice. So no redemption or revenge themes, but something completely different. NIce! He is a little bland and one dimensional, but this change is welcome after three games with Ezio. The ending on both sides is suitable. Connor has a little bit more resolution to his conclusion, while Desmond leaves us with more questions... but at least they are new!

Gameplay wise, this takes plenty of leaps forward. Stealth is back, with new hiding places, the ability to take cover and plenty of cool takedowns. Combat is more offensive, with attacking placed over defending. Dual Takedowns are spectacular and brutal. Parkour is a whole lot more advanced, with vaulting, crawling and tree climbing introduced to great effect. The brotherhood mechanics are highly refined with multiple useful objects and a highly advanced crafting and trading system will confuse you at first, before making you realise how great this game is. A dynamic weather system, hunting and more variation in environments are three things that help this game to stand out and the graphics are amazing with the Anvil Next Engine. The new Homestead is full of distractions and will suck you in for hours.

Along with the main campaign, there are plenty of collectibles and side missions, with naval gameplay a new feature that will amaze you. It's deep and advanced, the water is lifelike and while you only take to the wheel in missions, there is a sense of freedom to be had. And the action is remarkable! In fact, this is probably the most explosive Assassin's Creed, with plenty of set pieces and great moments. Multiplayer returns as well, with new coop and customisation features that make it a bit more of an attractive feature. It is only natural for assassins to team up...

In the end the game does have plenty of bugs and not even three years of work can cover these. But I didn't have too many problems and the pros far outweighed the cons. This is a brilliant game and one of my favourite games of all time. It also helps that it is the perfect jumping on point for people new to the series, with the new character and recap being great for new fans. If you have any intention of buying ACIII, don't wait- get it immediately!
  8. Jun 17, 2014
    This is often considered the Worst of the series by many, though mostly because the other games are so great.
    Personally I disagree, I found Revelations a far weaker game than AC3.

First and foremost this game is a Red Dead Redemption clone, and a decent one at that. The atmosphere is pretty similar, and with the mix of cities it feels similar enough to an Assassins Creed game to fit
    in.
    However this game is as loosely an Assassin's Creed game as you can get. There's no Creed, you're barely an Assassin, everything you remember from the previous games has been changed. From the controls to the Atmosphere. From the scenery, to the feel of the characters.
    At first I was unhappy about the control scheme, but it wasn't until I read a random unimportant email from the Animus that it was explained that as this is an upgraded Animus, things have been "fixed". After hours of play, the controls are pretty much an easier configuration to accomplish what you were able to before. My biggest issue with AC1 was the messy way in which the High Profile and Low Profile controls were explained, while every other Assassins Creed game beautifully eased players into the control methodology.
    The Red Dead Redemption-like atmosphere sucked me in, it was a game I liked a lot, and I found the AC3 story more engaging than the RDR 'story' (more like sparse dialog exchanges).
    The scenery was nice, however there are far too many animation and texture glitches in this game. I mean there's a lot. At one point I even saw a horse-drawn carriage flip upside down- get slowly sucked into the ground in a hellish and horrifying jerking motion, before the horses screamed and the whole thing descended beneath the ground. If that wasn't frightening enough, it suddenly reappeared and zoomed through a building, where I chased it only to fall infinitely through the ground.
    Glitches I experienced range from character arms disappearing and bodies flickering - like all the time (not just animus effects) to in-game cut scenes where giant grass-land textures collapsed in a domino fashion as the main character walked off camera (that one was right at the end of the homestead missions and spoiled any emotional draw the mission created).

Honestly, I found the characters to be very one-dimensional, and while I didn't dislike the main characters, found that I cared little about their arch's (if you can say they had any), nor felt like I knew their personalities very well.

The crafting system is poor, and while I hated Revelations' Bomb crafting system. At least it felt as if it served function (despite me only ever feeling like I needed to use the bombs in one mission which I was forced to use them), the crafting system in AC3 can be completely ignored, and is really poorly explained in the game, with a terrible interface.
    Function of currency is mostly unnecessary in this game, as opposed to others, and makes the game feel slightly more like the original. I found that after accumulating £10,000s I realised I never had to spend a penny until I wanted to complete the ship missions.
    Chase missions are more quick-time event than before, and the large-scale tomb raider type puzzle missions are gone.
    All Assassin Recruit/Assasination Contract stuff from the last couple of games is less centralised and less worthwhile. All guard distraction features (such as prostitutes and vigilantes have been replaced by 'rioters', however I never found a use for these as there's no one that you need to distract. Your presence will constantly go high, and bribing heralds and such will only buy you a short while before something causes another mass chase, and like the last few games, hiding spots are mostly useless once you're detected, so you just have to start killing or running.
    The ship missions are another mini game that they've tried to introduce, akin to the Assassins Defence sub-game missions, but while these are unique enough to be interesting, they're vastly underdeveloped, with most missions being completable in a couple of minutes. All the ship missions are very easy, right until you get to having to battle "man-of-war" frigates which were my only reason to ever spend money in the game, just to upgrade the weaponry of the ship.

The history/landmark element of Assassins' Creed is pretty reduced in number 3, so aside from the main story, sense of history feels greatly diminished.

All the Glyph/Custer puzzles and secrets from the earlier games is now gone for good, and while I enjoyed exploring the world in AC3, all sense of challenge was missing.

The overall plot is continued quite a bit in this game, and any time spent outside the Animus is rewarded with revelations of the over-arching story. Although as before - there's no reason to exit the Animus voluntarily, so don't waste your time.

So in conclusion, I liked AC3. I even recommend it. I just wish it felt more like an Assassin's Creed game... and had less cheap-feeling glitches.
  9. May 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. sure its a big game sure its a nice looking game but does that make it a good game hell no to me this almost made this not want to touch black flag with a ten foot pole thankfully i did and it restored my faith in this much beloved series but this pile of crap is short the city's look bland and conner might just be the worst character ever at the start i hated the Templars for burning down his village and all but by the end of the campaign i felt sorry for them it seemed like they were trying to make the world a better place for once in the end waste of time and money Expand
  10. May 11, 2014
    es un juego muy bueno sin duda los que digan que es malo se equivocan es bueno destaca en todo pero no tanto como los otros assassins creed y se retoma lo mejor que caracterizo la saga aparte de la historia
  11. May 8, 2014
    A black mark on a wonderful franchise. I finished the 4 previous titles. AC2 was easily the best, but this game is a huge step back in every regard: very imprecise controls, frustratingly vague mission objectives, the worst combat system of the series, very unintuitive menus, bland main character, and broken stealth. How is it that a game about assassins has broken stealth? The story is good, so are the graphics, animations and all the little details that they put in this world. But ultimately, this game is not fun. It was a chore to play which I gave up on about 75% of the way through. AC4 gains some ground over this mess but it too does not reach the heights of AC2. Expand
  12. Apr 4, 2014
    During E3 2012, I was fairly excited to see some Assassin’s Creed 3 gameplay. I felt like the gameplay was decent, and seemed fluent. BUT, when the game came out, I was extremely disappointed.

First off, the fighting system is very to awkward to control. Equipping weapons is made harder than it has to be. Sure it was the same as the previous games, but in ACII, you had the ability
    to favorite weapons, that way, you could quickly pull out your weapon of choice. Along with tedious-to-equip weapons, response times between button pressed and action carried out is sluggish and unresponsive at times. The game will occasionally flat-out ignore my inputs! These issues, however, are only, if not mainly, affective during combat.

Along with awkward combat, the characters seemed very bland, and static; they had no arch, and remained the same. Don’t get me wrong, some of the characters like Haytham Kenway(protagonist’s father) had interesting histories. However, one of the worst characters is the damn protagonist(Connor Kenway)! He maintained the same tone of voice throughout the game, unless he was yelling, in which he emitted blood-curdling cries. I understood that they tried to make an interesting and persistent character, but if Ubisoft had put a bit more effort into Connor, he would have been a more interesting and memorable character.

In the game, it seemed way too long to even get to the main character, let alone dawn the cloak that makes Connor’s image. I shouldn’t have to invest one hour of gameplay to see the protagonists childhood, THEN play as him. The missions that Archimedes(Connor’s mentor) sends you on are pointless(gameplay-wise, not morally-wise). For example, there is a mission in which Archimedes sends Connor to Boston to acquire supplies for the Homestead. The Homestead is to serve as a safe haven, and a place where the player might invest his/her money into imports and exports. However, these thing are not necessary to complete the game, and don’t make it easier. If anything, the Homestead serves as a distraction from the game.

We once again meet Desmond, the “actual main character,” as he races against time to save the world from the end of the world(12-12-12). “Hang on, what happened to the Templars?” “Oh, he beat ‘em.” “Okay, that’s sorta strange, well why is Desmond seem more whiny?” “To create better character and relate to the player.” “Well, that doesn’t seem to work, why is Desmond’s dad Picard?” “Why not?” “Oh, well, good point.” The game once again throws Desmond at us and says “THIS IS YOUR HERO!” whilst the player struggles through his missions, brows furrowed, asking him/herself, “maybe the game will get better.”

Assassin’s Creed 3 was a decent game, but there are major flaws that keep it from being a great game, or even an Assassin’s Creed milestone. There was an excellent setting(I actually feel like I am in Boston in the year 1777). Overall, Assassin’s Creed 3 is more than definitely not my favorite Assassin’s Creed game.
  13. Mar 23, 2014
    The Assassin's Creed Franchise has never been one that I've been interested in, mainly because I'm not one for stealth games and prefer some more direct, straightforward combat. Some of that may be the reason why it was such a pain in the ass to enjoy this game, but it's not like that I know nothing of the basic fundamentals of sneak. See, the real issue here with "ASS GREED FREE" (as I like to call it sometimes) is that the main player character, throughout most of the AC franchise has never had the ability to crouch while sneaking, often being quite out in the open when he's not. I know that may not seem conspicuous when in towns, but when you involve yourself in the NorthEast Americas trudging through the wilderness, you kind of hope to sneak whilst having every enemy notice you. Anyhow, let's start with the story. I played fragments of this game here and there (despite beating it whole), but I'm pretty sure that even if I got to play the game without missing out on particular story elements, it wouldn't help with my overall disinterest in it. Not to mention that a game that is set during the peak of the American Revolution may scream "Interesting", but somehow, it doesn't. WE get a pretty stale template of a main character both in and out of the Animus, the inner being the still snarky and whiny Desmond Miles, and the outer being Connor Kenway, a American-Indian who seems to hold a pretty dismissive opinion about pretty much everything going on around him, about his Father's plea to make truce with the Templars, the stakes of the American Revolution, about his own villages misfortune of being pushed aside for the war, all of it just seems to nod off his shoulder as "meh". The combat and HUD is confused and convoluted, often do you have to go through the entire motion of killing the same guy if you happen to need to counter another or get hit, and some enemies are near impossible to counter at all unless you just exploit Smoke Bombs or Rope Darts, and since the enemies share a universal stealth detection, once one notices you, they all do. The ability to climb trees apart from buildings assumes that the spaceity of the wilderness is more varied, but it merely comes down to copy and pasted trees that are usually force-made to be parkoured across from. The lack of hiding places apart from their always signature hay stacks is also quite abhorrent, not to mention sort of messing with the context of a particular area too. Crafting and Supplies is also confusing, as to how you are able to find the workers you need or the correct side quests to start such, evidently winding down to getting more "Pounds" to upgrade your ship and arm yourself and pretty much nothing more. The only silver lining behind this small disaster is the Ship sections themselves, as you are excitingly pitted against ships as you can almost feel like a pirate (but that, my friends, will be left for the AC 4 Review). Also, why is it that you have to find some secret chest in order to get silver ingots which pretty much are essential for the one thing that is essential? Anyhow, overall this game is a frustrating little mess to get through, with the convoluted combat mechanics to the directionless navigation to the boring narrative structure. Expand
  14. Jan 27, 2014
    This assassins creed has disappointed me a lot, Connor is a character hasn´t have personality, he doesn´t know why he fight. The beginning of the game is slow, the first 4-5 hours are very boring. The game submit much graphical errors, like weapons in levitation, characters that appear suddenly. The combat system has been improved respect over previous releases but yet is still below other games like batman arkhan. The gameplay follows the patters of previous deliveries, but have errors, like getting stuck between tress that at times maddening. The story is very poor and how the story end, don´t like all.

good thinks in the game: ship battles, are fun but lack depth.

Only I recommend the game, diehard fans of assassins credd.
  15. Jan 8, 2014
    Although this is not my favorite Assassin's Creed game, it is still a very well made game. AC3 brings players to America during the revolution and does so very well. It tells the personal story of Connor and how he becomes one of the Assassins.

The gameplay is relatively similar to past AC games and does deviate in any worsening direction, but they could have improved the game much
    more. The background music while traversing the great lands of America is not present like it was in past games when going around Istanbul or Venice.

Graphics-wise, this is the most appealing game I have ever seen on an Assassin's Creed game. So the bottom line is, get this game when you see it in the Bargain Bin.
  16. Dec 22, 2013
    While Assassin's Creed III has great combat, a visually stunning world, and a lot to do, the game has some huge, fatal flaws that detract from the enjoyment. Slow pacing, bad story, and an overwhelming amount of content hold Assassin's Creed III back from the greatness the previous entries achieved.
  17. Dec 21, 2013
    ACIII is a desperate try on Ubisoft's side; a try to be new, refreshing and innovative, a try to be patriotic, heroic and meaningful. I'm not sure what the original story was, but there are so many bugs and issues (honestly, it is so far the most problematic title I have ever laid my hands on) that you can't even get to the core of it. An almost complete abandonment of the legacy of the previous titles, ACIII is surely to make more enemies than friends. Connor has some big shoes to fill after Ezio, and fails miserably, looking more like a spoiled brat than a hero you could identify yourself with. There is a somewhat good game buried in there, but because it's trying too hard to be too many things, and fails as far as simple mechanics is concerned, you have to force yourself to find it enjoyable. Expand
  18. Dec 17, 2013
    To put things in perspective, the only other AC game I have played is the first one. It had flaws, but it was a gorgeous game and it had some good ideas. AC3 is my first AC online experience and I must say that it might be the most fun I've ever had online. The focus on stealth makes for gameplay that is always intense, and getting that sneaky kill after being very patient is very rewarding. I enjoyed the campaign as well (though admittedly I didn't quite finish it). My main complaints with the game are the sometimes inconsistent climbing, the perhaps under-developed sailing sequences, and a few glitches here and there which don't really detract from the gaming experience. Expand
  19. Nov 24, 2013
    It is an okay game I guess but to me it was a real let down for the Assassin's Creed series. The game play was similar to the last game, the graphics were a little more updated, the story had an interesting twist to it, there were some more weapons added to the game, and it had new features. So why was the not as good? To sum it up in one word, Connor. It is, to me, his personality that makes the game not as fun, he is like the always serious character where that cuts down on some of the fun of watching cut scenes, and I find it harder to understand him, to say it plainly he's not the Ezio Auditore we all know and love. Expand
  20. Nov 20, 2013
    Que decir de unas de las decepciones mas grandes de mi vida, lo anunciaron por todos sitios, publicidad y mas publicidad, para indicar lo que seria el mejor juego de la saga, hoy puedo decir que es de largo peor que el Assassins Creed 2, con eso es suficiente como para saber que Ubisoft se ha cargado una saga, es mas de lo mismo pero peor, repetitivo, sin sentido y absurdo, solo le salva los graficos y el doblaje, por lo demás, es un juego mas. No lo recomiendo, me gaste 100 euros en la edicion especial y la he vendido, si, ¿porque? Porque es una verguenza como me han engañado, me he sentido estafado, ultrajado, jamás volvere a comprar un Assassins. Expand
  21. Nov 19, 2013
    The game itself is addicting for it's multiplayer and it's campaign, this game much resembles more on killing sprees actually, and the campaign became a large good bloody effort. But overall, the game is much more on killing then stealth where Connor has more abilities and tools to assassinate.
  22. Nov 18, 2013
    Main character is a @#$%^*bag. Can't stand him. He's pretentious, snobby, and with zero substance. Every time he speaks, which is very often as there are too many cutscenes, I roll my eyes. Afraid they might stick that way. Taking back to store.
  23. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Updated new engine which looks absolutely wonderful. Environments, whether change, character models, character movement, are all superb. Although this is the second time they changed the character models, Desmond and the gang look different than in previous games. Nothing really to complain about, they still looked like an upgrade. 10.

Sound: The games theme fits with
    the time it takes place in (during the American Revolution), and the voice acting is good. 10.

Gameplay: The gameplay has also changed, but it is still somewhat similar but in a good way. No longer do you have to hold x while sprinting. Anyway, the game mechanics now allow for a larger sandbox feel. You can now climb around in trees, hunt animals, and various extras that turn Assassins Creed 3 into the new Skyrim. The combat system is a lot more challenging and feels a lot better than in previous games. Counter takes timing, and stronger foes won't go down just with a counter, you may have to tap x to break their defense first. Still, the combat is still simple once you're used to it. Missions now are a variety, and no longer repetitive. Also, the game adds naval battles, which is really stunning, and they mix it in very well, never making it feel like a chore. 10.

Story: The story unravels quite well, and isn't as predictable. The game still features the main storyline with Desmond, and adds a new animus storyline featuring a Native American named Connor. The games ending is strong, but still in a way that can leave more in the franchise to dish out. Still, it was a superb game from start to finish. Well actually the first 3 or 4 acts were slow, but give the game time, and when it starts it continues to be entertaining. 10.

Lasting Appeal: Buy the game, lasts about 10-12 hours only the story missions, plus theres a bunch of side stories (came with the PS3 version), and extras to collect. 10.

Overall Score: 10 out of 10.
  24. Nov 11, 2013
    Fantastic game. Great voice acting, story, gameplay mechanics, immersion, graphics. Everything is top notch. People giving this a negative review/score have no idea what they are talking about. Somebody thought it was cool to start a "AC3 hate bandwagon" and a lot of people decided to jump on. Most of the negatives scores actually have completely wrong information and/or nitpicks that don't hamper the game. People also seem to hate the new protagonist called Connor, for some inexplicable reason. They are obviously stuck in the past with love for Ezio (protagonist from the last THREE games, may I add) that they cant fathom a new hero having a different personality and morals, values, passions. They simply don't understand him. Some people have also been complaining about glitches, even though I only encountered a couple small ones (I.e. floating weapon) throughout the whole game (keep in mind no game is perfect and these are miniscule). All in all, the game left me wanting more of Connor even after I completed the game (which took me 20 hours or so including side missions and collectibles). Expand
  25. Nov 10, 2013
    I'm an Assassin's Creed fan and I like very much AC2 and its story line, but this one is boring. The only one cool feature in this game is the ocean battles which it's pretty awesome.
  26. Nov 8, 2013
    I can't believe how much I'm hating this game right now. I've always loved the AC storyline. AC2 being superb. AC3 story and character have been a complete failure. Although, the prologue was interesting, its quite strange to see the initial characters you played suddenly act evil. Didn't really sell well for me. Connor is too serious all the time. His baggage becomes your baggage and you tire of it quickly. The graphics look washed out. I don't find the world interesting to explore. The main missions drain so much out of you that you really don't feel like investing yourself in that world. The controls aren't all that great either. I'm glad I'm able to check out this game through PS Plus instead of shelling out actual money because its really not worth it. Worst AC3 game. Expand
  27. Nov 5, 2013
    I don't know how to feel about AC3. I liked the time period it was set in and the story but I didn't like how the game felt and how it was played. And in Frontier you sometimes have to run over 1000m which took some time. I think the pieces of the puzzle were there but they wouldn't fit together.
  28. Nov 4, 2013
    I played all the main console releases for Assassin's Creed, but for some reason, I only just got around to this one. With AC IV out now on PS3, I guess I realized I needed to catch up. And I found I hadn't really been missing that much.

The main historical story follows two new protagonists, Haytham and Connor. Because I already knew you spent most of the game with Connor, the first
    few hours with Haytham felt like an overlong, forced tutorial. Unfortunately, even when I started playing Connor, I found myself less than enthralled. Maybe I just wanted to finish the game so I could be ready for AC IV, and maybe that means this game didn't get the fair shot it deserved.

But the truth is, I didn't want to spend my time hunting or doing most of the other inane side stuffs available. The game fortunately removed tower defense and some of the other annoyances from Revelations, replacing it with a fairly interesting naval battle system. Some other changes were also favorable--like the simplified free run system. However, I also found no desire (and little reason) to pursue any of the side quests. The rewards seemed few and far between, and without the chance to buy or repair property found in Brotherhood and Revelations, I rarely cared. You recruit one other assassin as part of the main story, and it was all I needed to complete the campaign.

Desmond's story continues from where it left off, and was a highlight for me. The tale about the first civ continues to reveal little bits and pieces of AC lore, and moreover, there were several playable missions for Desmond which were honestly more fun than those in the Animus.

Overall, I'm still looking forward to AC IV, but I probably enjoyed this game less than any of the others in the main series. Despite the removal of tower defense (thank God) and some technical improvements, the overall experience was mediocre.
  29. Nov 1, 2013
    If you are looking for a contender of the Most Boring Game of The Year Award, look no further! It floods you with "content", i.e. hunting, trading (via caravans), micro-management of your homestead's economy, but all of this feels so tacked on, I really do not see any point in it. The missions are mostly repetitive, quickly over (luckily), and take place in surroundings that mostly look the same all over. Controls are awkward and clumsy, parcouring in the trees is horrible. The cast is forgettable, the protagonist completely uninspiring. On top, the modern-times missions are still more frustrating and unbelievable! Do buy this game to complete your collection, but not to have a good time playing it. Expand
  30. Oct 27, 2013
    I got this game on release day and for me it is the best game in the series. Sure for some people, me included the ending is just plain stupid and Ubisoft is forgetting about the assassin part in the name but this is not a bad game at all. The story is good and has a good portrayal of that time, the environment looks amazing and offers the player new things to do and explore. In all another good assassins creed game much needed after the disaster of revelations> if you want to see a bad assassins creed game, just look at revelations. Expand
  31. Oct 26, 2013
    Assassin's Creed III doesn't exceed all my expectations, but it's a no-brainer that it is a deep experience. It's distinctly a visual marvel with the excellent design and beautiful environments, making the exploration a joy and immersive. It improves on combat; taking down enemies with a long variety of weapons, especially with the sweet tomahawk. it's rewarding. And it makes for a good challenge of using strategy to defeat heavy enemies.
    Parkour feels realistic with the countless of animations added to the character's movements and wandering around trees is an unique pleasure. And, I heard a lot of people saying that climbing was degraded, but that's not the case, because it's fluid and fun.
    Also, adding to the experience is the addicting multiplayer. It's unique, upgraded and a powerful addition to the game, raising up the score. Manhunt is the new mode that requires teamwork instead of selfishness.
    However, the flaws lower the score dramatically. Disappointingly, the stealth mechanics aren't up to par, because of the frustrating enemy AI detecting the player immediately. It's a shame, because rather than feeling like an assassin, you just feel like nothing special.
    Technical issues are almost everywhere in this game, considering how huge this game is. It constantly looses it's great imerrsivness values because of that.
    Focusing on story, I feel that the ending wasn't a nice conclusion and that Connor is a bore to listen to. But, fortunately, the story is well-written and decent.
    What I find average is the naval battles. While cinematic and epic, I don't find them enjoyable enough. But, if they improve the controls of it, make it more challenging and if they add exploration, I would be more than satisfied.
    Assassin's Creed III is a flawed, but deep experience that dares to put many different elements in one game. While no way revolutionary, it's great. (Final Score: 8.40)
  32. Oct 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've been playing the Assassin's Creed games from the beginning and I'd have to say this one is probably my favorite. I've loved the whole idea behind the AC series and I've really enjoyed the story line. It probably helps that I'm somewhat of a history fan, so being able to virtually walk around New England during the Revolutionary war time is pretty freaking sweet. Also, being a ship captain is one of the most fun parts of the game as well. I'm one of those gamers that will stop and read all of the info pop-ups that appear when you're near a historical site in the game. I guess I'm just nerdy like that. Expand
  33. Oct 2, 2013
    I'll keep it simple. This game has ended the franchise for me. Played them all and only sold Revelations because it was quite pointless. This one is as low as it can get for fans who hope to actually play a game centered on assassinations. The first AC is miles better than this. Keep in mind that the series creator as long been fired by Ubisoft. Surprise, surprise. Keep your pirates, the milking has to stop. Expand
  34. Sep 29, 2013
    worst game every, jumping is not exact enough, ist just a pain in the ass. non interruptable screen titel longer than 10 minuten...WTF?!?!?!? are you insane to steel my time for something i paid for?!??!? chasing szenes and you dont know where to go...really, don't play this crap.
  35. Sep 28, 2013
    "Assassin's Creed III" en mi opinión el mejor de la franquicia; es porque ésta vez todo es totalmente mejorado: los gráficos, la historia, las ciudades, los personajes son más interesantes y demás. Sería un juego perfecto, pero solo le resté un punto por su final, si bien no es malo, es de todas maneras muy insatisfactorio.
  36. Sep 26, 2013
    The best word for Assassin's Creed III is potential. Potential that could of made this the best game of the series, but falls very flat even when compared to other games before it.

THE BAD
    The story and characters were boring or annoying. Or in the case of our new protagonist, Connor Kenway, both, which is really depressing after a trilogy with Ezio. Any interest in this world or what
    was stake was wiped away by some really slow and unfulfilled plotline that feels small in the grand scheme of the American Revolution. the overall control and gameplay of Assassins Creed III is either new and/or improved, or it is sloppy. The new layout for the game really is confusing and frustrating on top of occasional unresponsive buttons. This is true especially during chase moments or worse in many of the overwhelming fights which will die in. a lot. This is made worse by the restricted access to the roof or even just running through cities. Many systems introduced in the game such as the underground fast tracking or some of the club challenges feel more like chores then entertainment. Other features which were introduced in the past such as other assassins or the Homestead just feel bland or not put in for its full potential. Finally is the overall conclusion to Desmond's story, which lacks in every shape and form. What should I say about it?

THE GOOD
    Two major points stand out for in this game; Naval Battles and Multiplayer. The Naval Battles introduced here are honestly one of the funniest activities and seem more exciting then the central land combat is, something that may make Black Flag better. Multiplayer also makes a welcome return and just feels just as enjoyable as the previous times of play and for a while was the key reason for my return to this game. Others things I liked in Assassins Creed III were the weapon crafting (not trade stuff though), the size of the three main areas of the game and one side-quest involving some refreshing platforming from the grind. I would also like to say that the graphics in this game are well made as is the music, despite lacking Jesper Kyd.

Assassins Creed III is a big game which I could talk about for ages, but I will put it this way. The game has many good aspects. But for each one of them there are two annoyances that pulled me out of the experience. Its less focused and disappointing when compared to the publicity or the many other open-world games that were available on the market at the time. But at the end of the day I have to come back to what I said at the beginning of this writing; a massive and promising game that was full of potential, but feel far from its hype.
  37. Sep 1, 2013
    This game turned out to be exceptionally poor.After a boring 4 hour prologue,AC3 hardly improves at all.By the time you get to where you should have been after an hour,you'll be so bored that just getting the Assassins outfit will feel like an achievement.As with all games in this series,it's the Animus that breaks the illusion that this is,in fact, a game and reminds you every few moments that this is not a real world.Graphics,voice-work,animation and story are all quite average and the less said about the combat the better.A yearly money grab from a company who have a golden goose.Sad... Expand
  38. Aug 30, 2013
    When i played just 5 hours of this game i gave it a 9. I made a terrible mistake, this game is not that good. It has indeed a good story, and the Naval missions are the Jewel of the Crown. But the game is broken, the parkour elements are Broken, the Battles are way too simple, different weapons means nothing in this game. The best thing of the game, the naval missions, are so few in the story mode, that you can count in one hand's fingers. I am relieved that Blackflag's focus is on Piracy, i really hope they learn from their mistakes, Assassin's Creed is an awesome franchise. Expand
  39. Aug 21, 2013
    AC III truly speaking in the beginning I was disappointed with the game and I didn't want to play but as I spent time and completed the story it became interesting and interesting. UBI Soft has change a lot of things that made the game a new game and difficult as well. some of the new concepts are very difficult like convoy trade etc. I admit the game has some glitches but it is AC we should ignore little thing behind this big game. I Love AC all versions and AC II as well. The one who like the game in the same conventional manner, they couldn't like this version but as you see the game era is 1700 to 1799 so time time change and the weapons has change. You cannot use all conventional weapons in this era. You have to consider the time as well. I suggest you all to play a bit and spend some time with it and I'm sure you'll definitely like it. Expand
  40. Aug 19, 2013
    AC3 is by far the biggest disappointment I've ever bought for my PS3. I LOVE this series, and I loved the first and second AC. They had everything a game should have; great story, great gameplay and original ideas. But this game took all of it away in one big swoop.
    I've tried three times now to play this game trough. But I simply can't! Every time I try I get this feeling, which can best
    be described as that of a rabid dog slowly and painstakingly chewing my leg of. Why does the controls work so bad? Why is there so MANY cut scenes? Why is the story so banal and bad? Why did they even publish this game?
    My advice for anyone is to never buy this game, and pray that the fourth game will be at least somewhat acceptable! (NB! I seriously doubt that I'll buy AC4, but I feel so emotionally obligated *ripping of my hair with a sad face*)
  41. Aug 10, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 3! I am a big fan of the AC series, but this...I was blown and surprised for the FIFTH time! Ubisoft did another great game and this time it was their master piece.

In AC3 you play as Connor, an entirely new assassin. He is born in a Native American village where you start off as a kid. You learn how to track, hide, hunt, climb and many more. After being threatened by
    Charls Lee, you swear that you will find him and kill him.
    The game does a great job of introducing you to the characters. You quickly get attached to Connor as you play trough the story. Your heart will constantly be going crazy while exploring or just watching the cutscenes.

The controls of the game are very nice and smooth. You can quickly switch between targets in a fight which make combat that much dynamic and brutal. The new tree climbing is simply one of the best things in the game. You will find yourself jumping from tree to tree, hang people with your rope dart and fight many enemies while at the same time avoiding being shot. The dynamic fights will make you want to love this game even more! The way animations work is stunning.
    2-3 enemies at a time can attack you at the same time and you will often find your self doing really bada*s moves to counter them in cool ways that feel so natural. You can quickly switch from enemy to enemy with flick of an analog stick. You can counter one enemy while fighting another and the coolest part is that you can quickly change to the weapon you want kill the target with that weapon when you counter them.
    While combat is great and fun, climbing is improved SO MUCH that you will never want to see a horse in your entire time playing, except maybe when chasing people. It feels so natural that you feel like you can do this even in real life. Climbing trees and rocks will change your AC gaming experience so much that you wouldn't ever want to move away from this game.

The game also has ships in it. That's right...SHIPS! The way they've made their new engine work is very good. The water, wind, battles all those things are incredibly well done. It feels realistic and you can really feel like a sailor. The physics in the game are great. Being able to command and improve your own ship is an aspect of the game the polishes it.

Besides some glitches here and there with the lipsynching, posters sinking into the walls (these have happened only once in the 30 hours I've played) and somewhat boring side missions although they can be really fun at times, the game is just beautiful. Parkour, assassination, hunting, board games, well done cutscenes, different languages, great voice acting, great graphics, amazing story line, likeable characters, trading, sailing, fort infiltrating and many more.

My final score is 9/10 just because of those side missions. They had to work a little bit more on those. In previous games the side missions were very fun and a good way to have nice laugh, but here you will find yourself carrying some sick people to a doctor, defending farmers or simply beating up some bullies. There are of course things to collect which makes you explore even more the big world of AC3. But please somebody beat up the idiot that thought of putting in such a bad picklocking mechanic.

This is by far the best Assassin's Creed game yet. Let's hope Ubisoft can keep that up.
  42. Jul 27, 2013
    This is the worst AC game in the series. The graphics are acceptable, but that's it. That's the end of all the positive things I can say. The story is just boring and it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The tutorial takes ages to complete and doesn't tell anything importent. Also where has the stealth gone? Also, the lack of detail... Hiding in the thinest bushes ever, and nobody can see you there. How is that realistic? There are way too many bugs and glitches, even after patches. The tree running or whatever you want to call it is just horrible. Characters are horrible with terrible voice acting. Desmond's story was bad and the ending stupid. They said the combat was new and fresh and smooth and stuff, but it was horrible. It sucked. Sorry if this review is unstructured, but for this game I don't have the energy to make a professional review. This game is bad and it will be my last AC game, because AC III was the first game ever that I pre-ordered. I never did a pre-order before, so I had some hopes for this game. I thought it would be the best game ever. But I regret the pre-order so hard. Yes Ubisoft, you failed me for the first time (and you probably will fail the people that buy AC IV). Garbage.. So heartbreaking to see that Ubisoft ruined a very good franchise that's called Assassin's Creed, which I always enjoyed. Unbelievable. Expand
  43. Jul 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is disappointing. I think I'll list why from combat to the parkour system.

Combat: 7/10
    The combat system is quite developed and it's not half bad. Although there are a couple things I have a problem with, such as why it takes so long to kill the enemy? I mean come on, the older Assassin's Creed games' enemies were so much faster to kill and they wore armor(except those Jannessaries) while the enemies in AC3 don't even have something to protect their kneecap and it takes so many knife swipes to die. Besides that, every time I run away from the fight there will be more guards after me. I don't want more enemies for me to be followed by, that's the entire point on why I'm running away. Also, the health system sucks! I die a lot more in AC3 than any other AC game. It's not because I suck, it's just the way the health bar is done. It's supposed to be regenerating, but I'd rather just stick to the medicine and synchronization bars. Technically they were more like health anyway, but the point here is that the regenerating health in AC3 is too slow or just plainly sucks. Now while you won't randomly kill an innocent bystander anymore by accident, thank goodness they still die mostly because they can be pushed in the water, but you can't start fights anymore.

Parkour: 8/10
    The better part of this game is mostly the parkour, but even that has problems. Although it's a bliss I only have to hold down one button, it feels like Conner isn't very responsive to my commands as the player. "You can make that jump, Conner." Is what I would think when he doesn't jump towards a nearby building which he CAN reach. Even if he didn't there should be a grasp button and...oh that's right there isn't one. Anyway, sometimes he would climb up walls or fall off of rooftops when you din't want to. Might as well change the controls back to the old ones, Altair or Ezio was never a problem while parkouring. Maybe it's because two buttons would allow them to jump or climb while one would cause many problems in AC3. Although, it isn't character-wise, it's just control-wise. If Ezio or Altair had these type of controls, it would be annoying as much as it is in AC3. "Conner, I don't want you to jump up a building."

Hunting: 6/10
    I honestly never cared for these things mainly because the animals are so easy to kill, even the aggressive ones. I had better fun killing animals in Skyrim than in AC3. Anyway, I bought a pistol to hunt some animals, and it handled the same way as my old pistol, but apparently it damaged the pelt. I don't think it would he damaged, maybe if Conner just skinned away most of what is fine and what is not? Common sense people. Anyway, the hunting is only fun when the animals run away and you do give chase, but honestly it's a bit boring and/or frustrating after a while.

Stealth: 6/10
    You kidding me? There's a stealth system? It feels almost nonexistent because of how much of a sore thumb Connor sticks out like from almost every hiding spot. Now while there are a couple of hiding areas that feel like he truly is hidden, hiding areas like the large plants on the ground feel like they ignore his clothing color clashes with that of...everything around him.

Naval Missions: 9/10
    Another good part of the game. Although I didn't get into the missions because I'm not a naval warefare type person, the missions were fun and well done.

Storyline: 9/10
    The storyline was pretty well-done, bringing characters we would actually care about and some pretty good character and story development. Yet the ending wasn't so great, Desmond's friends just stood there without a word as Desmond is going to sacrifice himself for the rest of the entire planet. "Ok, it was a good run, Desmond, but you go die and we'll go live the rest of our live in peace. See ya!"

Side-missions: 5/10
    Nothing very new, but they were done in a different way which made them well, but they feel like I just wasted ten minutes of my life doing one stupid thing.

Graphics: 5/10
    It's still nothing new nor old.

Weapons: 6/10
    The weapons all feel the same to me, they also feel clunky and big for every character's hands. No matter how advanced and different the description says the weapons is, it still runs the same way as my last sword.
  44. Jul 23, 2013
    Of course we are all entitled to our opinions, but a score less than 8 is a complete joke, It is hate, whether it be towards AC for being succesful with yearly releases like they hate COD for or they are anti America and simply hate the game for its American setting and pro American story.
    The game is a blast to play and extremely beautiful.
    Easily one of the greatest of this gaming
    generation and in my honest opinion, the best.
    A must have.
  45. Jul 10, 2013
    It is visually striking and there is always something to do. I am a total huntress in life, and that is probably why I spend at least one hour hunting. I find that the historical value of it is mostly high school textbook, only with the assassin imbedded. If you plan on playing the game to compare it to its predecessors, then do plan on being disappointed. It has a completely different take than the other previous Assassin's Creed games. Which for most people I have noticed disappoints them. Expand
  46. Jul 6, 2013
    Right I'm going to get straight to the point. The Connor parts of this game are average at best. He's not a particularly likable character and everything you saw in the trailers for this game (like jumping and shooting with the bow and everything being epic) are impossible. So that's that out of the way. Then the Desmond parts of the game are just stupid. Yet again the sci-fi parts of the game ruin it for me and, having completed all previous parts of the franchise (not completely just the main stories like a lot of other people) I was left sitting at the screen watching a cutscene and not knowing what the hell was going on.... Assassin's Creed it pains me to say it has lost it's way. Expand
  47. Jul 1, 2013
    The game is very glitchy (floating NPCs, missions that can't be completed...) even after the last official patch. The game itself isn't too far from the previous AC episodes and the ONLY breath of fresh air comes from the sea battles/sections. The secondary quests are more or less "go there and press a button", almost every single one of them. The ending sucks. I give ACIII a 6 just 'cause it isn't total garbage. Expand
  48. Jun 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a shame how the Assassin's Creed Franchise is digging itself deeper in its own demise. The new assassin Connor, isn't just what would keep this series interesting. I personally think that Connor is the most useless and stupidest of assassins and the quests of AC III are dull and boring. The story is the worst in this game, and the series would've been better in the beginning without Desmond, Abstergo or the Apple of Eden. The story is two parts: With random nonsensical messing around with Desmond and also the noble savage Connor and the evil white man. The combat is messed up for example, removing the lock-on and adding flintlock weapons that are rubbish. The quests are filled with annoying bonus-objectives and the stealth-mechanics make no sense. And the worst part is the awful naval-combat, what had a great idea, but was executed poorly. Only thing good about this game, is the historical events and the architecture from the years 1700-1800. So with Connor and his useless gadgets don't support this game and the quests and missions are painful and boring to play this was a nice checking out for architecture in form of a game that was not worth of pre-ordering. I suggest you avoid this and check out the newest one when it comes. Expand
  49. Jun 27, 2013
    I had such high hopes for this game, but in the end, Connor was unlikable and annoying while the gameplay was repetitive, recycled and tedious. The only thing that I enjoyed about it was the setting. I'm done with AC games for awhile.
  50. Jun 19, 2013
    This game came so close to being better than number 2 for me. It they just decided to not care about people who didn't play the others (sorry about that) the game could have been perfect. Some game-play decisions in the story could have been better, mainly sequence 5,7,8. Some minor decisions like capacity got me mad but besides that I enjoyed this game, to all you bashing it, screw off, don't buy it, its funny how this was one of the most selling game of 2012. Expand
  51. Jun 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. AC3 is a nice game to learn the hisory and be a part of the revolution. But killing a major character like Desmond Miles is a BS. The gameplay is a little different but better than the previous games. The multiplayer feels a little different than Revelations.
    I give AC3 a deserved 9/10
  52. Jun 14, 2013
    The story mode obiovusly isn't the focal point of this game. The naval missions are horrid and some of the full synchronization objectives makes you wanna shoot yourself in the face. And I didn't feel myself bonding as much w/ Connor as I did w/ Ezio. However, the combat is the best in the series, and free-roaming and open world aspect is amazing. Colonial America is breathtaking, the best map being the frontier w/ plenty to explore. Expand
  53. May 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't know how i'm going to get 150 words to work for this game. I'll start by stating that AC3 is not for everyone. Like it's previous iterations, this game requires patience and luck. Luck is where I have a problem with this game. There are quite a few missions that have you stealthing your way to your end goal or following someone as to not be seen. With patience, you can accomplish any mission, but after losing and having to restart missions from their cheesy checkpoints, you will have to rely on dumb luck to make it through. AC veterans will have no problem, but casual gamers will be throwing the remote in no time. One of the issues I have are the controls. They seem unchanged since the first game and have you running around like a car thats rear wheels are falling off. Soldiers constantly chasing you in sheer panic doesn't help matters. I am used to playing the infamous games, which may be why I had such a hard time with the controls. All in all, the game looks great, the sea missions are good, but lacking. After a few, I was bored. The story is awesome as usual. I just hope Ubisoft refines things for the AC4. Being a Bostonian I loved the setting. All in all, AC3 is a good game, just don't expect it to hand the game over to you. Maybe i've gotten used to the wussification of game story telling. It's no Dark Souls, but I would put it somewhere in between. The failure is that it's difficulty is because of shoddy game design, not because the game is conditioning you
    For greatness. I hope watch dogs fares better.
  54. May 25, 2013
    I don't really know what to say for this, but I think the word "Boring" is right for this game. I really thought we would get a "fun" Assassin's Creed game after Revelations. Instead, I got a useless excuse to learn a new history lesson. MP is still crap and should be removed from the franchise for good reasons.
    Note: I didn't even bother playing the game after chapter 4.
    (sigh) Well, on
    to the next one. Expand
  55. May 25, 2013
    AC3 could have been so much better, it is ruind by all gliches and the fact that its not eaven finished. Not to forget the gameplay mechanics are not the best one either that i came up with a solution on very quickly. But now AC has become COD anyway so i don´t care anymore
  56. May 22, 2013
    Assassin's Creed III is an absolutely mediocre game. Disappointingly enough, Assassin's Creed 3 tries to be a movie, or a running simulator; focusing less in the actual combat and stealth (this is for the missions of the main story).
    The exploration is painfully boring, that immediately reduces the score dramatically. I hoped for a deep, immersive exploration, but what I've got is a
    monotone playground. The same can be said about the mediocre side missions.
    The technical issues are frequent and annoying. While not highly reducing the enjoyment, it just makes for a flawed experience.
    However, this game offers two positive aspects: the whole story and the hunting system. The story is interesting and exciting, portraying excellently the historical characters that had an important role for America. And the hunting system is surprisingly deep and fun.
    Overall, Assassin's Creed III is an almost poor game, trying to be overly-ambitious, but ultimately failing.
  57. May 18, 2013
    Assassin's Creed III.
    Note: I have decided to include 2 new segments to this review, because there are some things that I can't consider good, or bad.
    Good Points:
    + The Period of time, the American Revolution is a great time to explore how an assassin and templar brotherhood could have installed there. Haytham Kenway, he's an excellent character and just impossible not to like. The
    comeback of more than 1 city (although you had Capadoccia in Revelations, you practically played all in Constantinople) and the different characteristics of each individual place. The Frontier and the addition of animals and hunting is amazing. The Seasons, now you can have snow and is just beautiful. Climbing trees, it is very useful when you have to scape from something or you just don't want to go on the snow (or whatever reason you find). The Length of both, the story and all side quest, which gave a lot of fun hours. Naval Battles, all (even those who rated this game with a 0) know that this is a TRULY good point. The vast inventory (including heavy, small, normal weapons and also a lot of range weapons). The American Assassin Brotherhood; This time they gave importance to how you meet them and why they decided to join the Brotherhood, giving each Assassin a different background. The Present Day gets really fun on this one, by giving you missions to retrieve power sources. Soundtrack, I always say it's amazing, but I have no word for this one IT'S BRILLIANT. (sorry for that). The Forts, it's really fun to liberate them and take away all Red Coats. Noah Watts and Adrian Hough, they make and incredible voice acting giving it emotion and a really interesting atmosphere. Benedict Arnold missions are just OK and we're lucky that they're free because I wouldn't recommend them if you had to pay for it. The Assassin Suit, is definitely the best Assassin outfit so far. The outstanding graphics, this is visually the best AC game so far. The AnvilNext Engine, it makes the game more realistic and powerful than before (it is also a bad point, check why)
    Bad Points:
    - The Game truly starts at Sequence 8 (considering you unlock New York, the final location, in this sequence), which is a shame, because you don't get full liberty until half of the game. Sequence 1, memory 3 is way to long, there was no necessity of making the ship travel so long. The pacing of the story is very slow and you'll probably get bored in some part of the story. Making board games as part of 100% synchronization, it's awful! Nobody wants board games obligatory. The game is "in parts" you have to buy 1 DLC (Hidden Secrets) to have the full game. Horse Riding, is horrible and in the frontier worst; Red Dead Redemption succeeded to make and incredible horse riding, why can't this game?. One of the most bugged games I have seen, why couldn't they delay the game to make it without any bugs or glitches or leave it with just a few?. The AnvilNext Engine, it was overwhelming for the game in some moments, like now there's a lot of people in the city, but they disappear mysteriously while they're walking (I mean, what?). Stealth, it is totally gone, you kill a guard and the whole city knows it. There's no background music while you're not currently in a mission, and you're just playing for fun, and it helps getting you bored.
    (+ New Segment) Middle Points:
    Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor), I can't say if he is either a good or bad point, because he is so complex and it is up to you to tell if he is a good or bad character. But before, I most tell you something: Ratonhnhaké:ton had the worst imaginable life and I can't say much more without spoiling you anything; before you judge him you most know that people who get that trauma turn to be really bad people. HomeStead Crafting and sending caravans, I don't know if you're going to like it, but for me it was an easier and most interactive way of winning money and trading things than previous Assassin's Creed Games. The Ending, I can't explain how is it a middle point without spoiling, just know that there's a 50 that you like it and 50 you don't. Synchronization ranks; now is more than 1 synchronization objective, so it's sometimes frustrating and sometimes a nice challenge. Simplified Gameplay, now the game has simplified the buttons and for expert AC gamers is boring at times, though if you're a newcomer you'll probably have a great time.
    (+ New Segment) Personal opinion:
    I think this game was awesome, but had flaws like Ratonhnhaké:ton smiling 3 or 4 times in the game, or the game being so slow. The Ending was very shocking for me and I didn't know how to deal with it. Gameplay mechanics we're simplified and that I didn't like.
    Final Score:
    Assassin's Creed III is the biggest, ambitious and inmersive AC game, telling an interesting story and adding some cool things. However, the game didn't fully completed it's ideas and somethings we're changed way too much. The Graphics, design, story are beautiful.
    Average Score: 8.2
  58. May 16, 2013
    I was extremely exited about this game upon release and i played it to the end. It wasn't until then that I realized what i just played. It was a mere shell of the original two games. There was an extreme lack of assassination missions (I cant remember any at all). A lot of the game was on the rails and offered little choice for how to carry out your missions. I hope #4 is better then this. Stay away and just play brotherhood. Expand
  59. May 11, 2013
    I would have originally given this game a 7/10 after having completed the main campaign....but I chose to stick around and see all that this thing has to offer. It has ALOT of story content to offer you. And there is alot to do if you want that platinum trophy. The fact that the ps3 version has exclusive missions....I didn't even know what they were ...it didnt matter.. I finished the campaign thinking I would be able to have a fun time earning that platinum.....there was only misery. Exploring tunnels with glitchy puzzles....having to play mini-games that the ai makes perfect moves on. Having the "PLAY KING WASHINGTON BLAH LBHA BLAH" on the main menu and then having clicked on it only to discover I i would have to pay for it......disappointing. The online component.... disappointing. I can't see anyone spending money on such a thing. Getting full sync on some of the missions boils down to pure LUCK. I am not joking when I say that. I won't even grade the campaign story since this is my first entry in the series...but even I could see the obviously holes....I feel sorry for the fans. Ship combat was one of the redeeming features of this game....it was very well done and ALOT of fun. The other thing though to mention is the combat system in ac3. You willl read alot of reviews saying that it has been perfected. Honestly.....maybe it has......But it doesn't matter! The combat itself is so easy in this game...there is no challenge whatsoever....it's just mashing two buttons to auto kill every enemy over and over again. Perfected? maybe.....but it sure isn't fun to be able to take down a million redcoats without breaking a sweat. You take down entire forts yourself in minutes....waltzing through the front door. There is no incentive to use stealth in this game. The times it has you use stealth are the most frustrating things ever....you can easily kill Everything in the game...yet they force you to sneak around and .....it was a giant headache. Alot fo content here for your money......but so much is lacking here. The core of the game is just not fun. Playing for the platinum will only end in frustration. Playing for the story will end....probably badly for many fans. It's kind of weird how I could rate it as a 7/10 and then do the extra side missions and end up with a 6/10....it's a slap in the face. There's no challenge here. There's so much wasted potential. If only they made the combat a little challenging....but they put restrictions on everything in the game and it ruins what potential there is for fun. Expand
  60. May 3, 2013
    AC III is a very disappoint game. Yes it has better graphics and cinematics but that it's not what makes a game great. The story feels rushed and Connor reminds me of Kristen Stewart...the only thing that I saw Connor show was anger, and even that sound like fake anger. The stealth is very difficult to pull out in this game, running around in the roof tops isn't fun anymore, the guards spot you so easly that makes you don't want to walk in the rooftops...the Frontier section is amazing with the animals and been hable to explore but some glitches makes the experience a bit hard to enjoy. The naval missons are amazing but honestly they became a bit repetitive and not has enjoyable. The combat system feels very slow. Expand
  61. May 1, 2013
    AC3 is the best Assassin's Creed game yet, at least that's what I would be saying if the story was better. That is the main thing that was wrong with this game. The gameplay is much better with lots more variety and I love the naval side missions but the story and pacing are the let down here. I find Connor alot less interesting than Ezio and the game tells a good story in the univers of AC but Connor as a character just isn't as good. The pacing is also an issue, you don't actually get to play as connor with his full abilities until sequence 6 which is a shame. Multiplayer has improved again with wolfpack mode being very fun if you get good teamates. This game is good but has a lot of potential Expand
  62. Apr 30, 2013
    It is a nice game. the graphics are awesome the story is great. the gameplay mechanics are better compared to other assassin's creed games. The ship sections are amazing. Only the missions are a little bit repetitive and it is only limited to 2 city's and one wood's. lot's to do but replay ability is less.
  63. Apr 29, 2013
    Assassins Creed III... was one of the most disappointing games of 2012, it was NOT a bad game, but it sure did not live up to the hype it was getting. Lets start with the pros: Good graphics, good gameplay, great environment, and interesting multiplayer. The Cons: Uninteresting characters, Connor is nowhere the level that Ezio was in character development, there were also a huge number of bugs on release day. That may be fixed now, but it is still not acceptable to release a game with a number of bug and glitches. Overall, Assassins Creed III was a good game and i enjoyed it. Expand
  64. Apr 25, 2013
    PLOT HOLES NOT FILLED SOME BUGS HEAD-**** PLOT-TWISTS AND SOMETHING ABOUT AN ASSASSIN TURKEY!!!!!!!
    GOOD COMBAT SYSTEM NOT STABBY ENOUGH AVERAGE STEALTH USE!!!!!!!!!
  65. Apr 25, 2013
    I really would like to know if the guys whom are making these games are destroying the games just for fun, or just out of greed!
    Because wow, Assassins creed 3.... well
    The first assassins creed made me a hardcore fan for sure. The second one made me drool. Brotherhood and revelations were ok, but then I began to suspect something because bringing out one game per year kind of smells
    fishy.
    And yes, with assassins creed 3 I got the confirmation that they don't give a about their fans or buyers because this is by far the worst assassins creed so far.
    It has got NOTHING to do with assassins creed!
    Climbing in the trees was a nice thought, but it actually turned out to be a joke. Every single time you get up there, it's always the same five to ten trees you get in.
    The thing with the animals is just ridiculous. I mean come on!!!! I had just finished red dead redemption and you all know what that meant, right?
    The guys from assassins creed must have been thinking, 'hey, I haven't got any inspiration', 'I have an idea, let's copy paste stuff from red dead redemption. Those gamers are so stupid they won't even notice.'
    That's how they think about us.
    I'm still playing the game and man I'm so so frustrated!!!! The game freezes at least once every time I play. Most of the time when a tree is lying down and (that retarded killing machine) connor bumps against it. He just can't seem to jump over them You know, the same action as when he is standing with his hand palms against the wall. I really hate that! They must have thought, 'O well, it, they'll take anyway'. Sometimes when i want to get on a horse, the x button just doesn't work (o and no, it's not the controller because that has been tested).
    Every single time i play the game I also get stuck at certain parts. Like yesterday I threw my controller through the room because after killing two guards at a door. Connor just went through it and got stuck inside. The day before I got stuck between a little ditch and bush. I literately got stuck at knee hight.
    And talking about bushes...... Man if you consider the times in Venice where the details were extremely well done, now it is like I'm playing an eight year old game. No? I'm exaggerating? O, please do look at the bushes, plants and all that. Man the bushes are 2d planes. What's with that? That is so ugly... you can't even begin to imagine, you have to see it for yourself. O, and 'bushes', well, they look like cardboard pieces they took from a d-movie from the seventies.
    And the biggest part is that you can't even get through the bushes and plants. They don't even move. Just, bam, I'm walking against walls in the forest more than half of the time and there is no way to get through two plants or bushes where the leaves almost touch. Hey, it's a big no no guys because two leaves almost touching each other becomes impenetrable.
    And what's the deal with the sudden switch of character? Wasn't it possible to maybe actually implement how we came to have another character? Look, when I begin to play an AC game, I always make sure I get some money and do quite some side quests. Do you feel my frustration when all of a sudden the character is gone, along with all the gathered money? that!!
    And where is the stealth? Hello-o? It's all about hacking and slashing in this game. No subtlety at all.
    And why do you guys take us for idiots? And I thought the fighting system from batman was for kiddies. Well, compared to AC3 it's quite 'complicated' because you have several different ways to make combo's and have different knobs to use.
    With AC3 I can eat, look at a movie, and meanwhile kill every single soldier with just hammering the square button. The fun is just gone.
    No nice gameplay, a dull story, brainless characters, graphics from the nineties (well, you know what I mean). And what's with the music? No more ambience and chilling while wandering around? O, talking about sound. Sometimes when I'm in a fight, the sound of the slashing and hacking drops away. Very, very funny! (It does come back after five or ten minutes or so). The times that I was rofl laughing with the little things you heard the people say in the street with AC2 (or the others for all I care) is gone! Here and there there is something, but now I laugh because it's a joke.

And the biggest most hilarious thing about the game (but it's not such a big a deal) is when connor is raising the American flag.
    Like Chandler from friends use to say, 'could it be any more ridiculous?' Yeah, they wiped out his whole town and family, but he's loyal to the U S of **cking A.
    And the riddles? Where are those genius riddles from before? Again, you think we're idiots right? Man, those riddles I was sometimes having a really hard time, but it was fun. REAL fun! It gave you something. It was like the hidden history was being revealed little by little. All this tension is gone. No more feel of mystery.
    By the way, I'm only at sequence 4...
  66. Apr 16, 2013
    I love the AC series everything about it is so fun this one is no different a great storyline good combat graphics and characters a must buy for any AC fan
  67. Apr 14, 2013
    Talk about disappointing. What's up with games today that release awesome bad ass trailers where the character is portrayed doing sick things like charging into enemy lines through cannon fire. Then you get the game, expecting those epic moments but are shattered because they are not in the game. Instead of actually putting you on a big battlefield during an important time in American history, it's back to the same old same old. You easily take out your marked targets and then continue on your way. You can even walk up and stab them and just skip being sneaky about it. I really thought this game was going to take a different step from previous titles. I guess I just shouldn't trust trailers but I was hoping to be participating in giant battles against British forces. Maybe you have to break through enemy lines to carve a path to the general. Instead, you have some dinky event where you press the trigger to order some men to fire, then run over to some other men and order them to fire. Rinse and repeat, die of boredom. At another point you are on the battlefield, and you have to sit behind cover. Cannon fires. Sit behind cover. Cannon fires. Sit behind cover. Really? It makes me long for another Viking:Battle for Asgard, sure that game was boring as all get out leading up to the big battles. But the big battles were there and they were epic! This just continues on the path of "one man army". Another huge point for me is who the hell cares? Once again I find myself hating Desmond, and the fact that I am forced to play as him and his god awful storyline. Connor (animus character) is just as lifeless, where I find myself saying, who the hell cares!? I couldn't even bring myself to finish the game because there was just absolutely no point. Where the game does shine is the naval battles. Commanding your ship, is well executed and by far the best part of the game. The controls are streamlined and easy to take the helm of. Everywhere else though this game is complete phooey. Definitely the last "Assassin's Creed" I'll ever purchase. (It gets a 2 for the naval battles) Expand
  68. Apr 12, 2013
    with all the hype for this game, 10 minutes in, you realize it's the same game as 1 and 2. Nothing to see here people climb buildings and jumping off was fun the first time I did it in assasins creed, not much anymore. I would recommend buy if you've never played Ac, but i've played ac 1 and 2; but never got the drive to finish after an hour or so of the same old same old.
  69. Apr 11, 2013
    I have played all the Assassin Creed games and was looking forward this one so much, but when reading other reviews was a little worried, so waited until the price dropped before buying! A good choice, while the game is nice to look at it, it is very frustrating and the characters are pretty dull. I have played every game through to completion and enjoyed collecting all the trophies that go with it, but for the first time I can't be bothered with all the side missions, this game has really disappointed so far(up to sequence 5), I hope the further I get it improves! Expand
  70. Apr 6, 2013
    There is no doubt about it. This game has supremely high-production values, especially when it comes to the story or the graphical fidelity. In the sense of gameplay, not so much. See the developers stuck so heavily to the script most of what gameplay consists of is mundane story missions where you tail a fixed target. It's repetitive and boring, providing no innovation at all. The combat is still fluid, albeit easy but it's nice to see how inventive they were with some of the ways you can kill your enemies. The animations and the game world is breathtaking, with the mountain regions being implemented in the game for a new, dynamic free-running system. This for the most part, works very well but it's a shame you're discouraged to explore the rooftops so heavily with the amount of guards that are conveniently up there. The side-missions and other activities lack any real engagement or reason to care about them, they just feel tacked-on. The naval missions though are a welcome addition to the series and fit the era the game is depicted in. The story and voice-acting are good but the new protagonist lacks any personality, he just feels like some guy. Oh, and don't even get me started on that s***** ass ending which is obviously intended as sequel bait. Lastly, the 100% synchronization is supposed to be a set of additional objectives in a mission but the missions are so linear and centred around the story anyway that you probably won't notice or care about it. Overall, it's a good game but I feel like the series is spiralling downward more and more, going onto the path of the endless Call of Duty sequels. Expand
  71. Apr 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Personally, I thought that Assassin's Creed 3 was a disappointment. It's not bad, but it's not great either. After numerous updated and patches the game is still incredibly glitchy and the framerate drops all the time. Weird things happen at times too, there have been many times when I was incognito and the guards randomly started conflict with me. The controls can sometimes seem unresponsive but that barely happens. Now on to the good. I liked the new naval missions a lot, it was pretty fun. I didn't like that there weren't a lot of naval missions, I finished them all in no time. I also hated how in some of the naval missions you were forced to just sail to your destination even though it was very far away. The wind shifts in all different directions even when you're forced to sail a long way and it annoyed me beyond belief. I did think that the hand to hand battle was the best out of the series, though. It was a lot easier and faster than the other games, especially 1 and 2. You counter by holding the circle button when an enemy is about to attack you and then it shortly goes into slow motion for you to choose to kill the enemy, break their defense or throw them. The combat was also a lot more fun than the other games. Consequences come with too much killing, though. The notoriety is back from Assassin's Creed 2 but this time it's a lot more strict. Your notoriety goes up a lot faster than it did in Assassin's Creed 2 and wanted posters aren't on your mini map anymore, only town criers and printing presses. The town criers get rid of two levels of notoriety and the printing presses get rid of three levels of notoriety. I didn't like the story as much as I did the other games, mainly because of the ending and Connor being the new assassin. Connor is a very bland character, it's not that he's bad, but he's just bland. Ezio was a much better character. The ending to me was very dissatisfying, for both Desmond and Connor. The ending for Connor was that he just killed his main enemy in the game and he buries some amulet from the first civilization in someone's grave, then you're done as Connor. The ending for Desmond was even worse for me, after five games studying the first civilization and trying to find out a way to save the world, Desmond just dies. You see him touch some sphere to save the world and then he just drops dead on the floor, no other explanation for the story following is given. All we really know is that Desmond saved the world and just died, we don't know anything about what happened to the other characters afterwards or the effect of what Desmond truly did. Assassin's Creed 2 is one of my favorite games, I just hate to see the series go in such a negative direction. Assassin's Creed 3 is most definitely a disappointment for anyone who liked the other Assassin's Creed games like me. It just didn't live up to the expectations. Expand
  72. Apr 5, 2013
    Excellent game. The first AC game I actually enjoyed. I loved the old colonial Boston and New York. as well as the frontier. Overall it is a great open-world game.
  73. Apr 4, 2013
    This.... This is not an Assassins Creed game, it isn't and im gonna explain you why.
    Ok so let's start with the story the story starts in quite an interesting way meanwhile you start discovering how each character truly is you start by playing as Haytham an non interesting character that holds up until you play for a couple of hours and you will just be asking to yourself where's Connor
    pointing out the cover of the game box that you just bought then you will start getting angry just by realizing Haytham didn't need all the time that it was put into it just doesn't make any sense to waste four sequences (chapters) just to explain his character is a waste of space. So after the 4 chapters that take about five to six hours to complete
    you can finally play as Connor but you need to play as him through out his childhood, teenage years and finally you can play as him as an adult assassin the problem is that this other three sequences of just watching Connor grow up you will be angry at the fact that the four sequences that you play as Haytham could have been used to play as Connor and tell an story that actually is interesting. after a while the only things that you will start liking about the game are the graphics the combat system (that is really good) and well that's pretty much it no more no less another thing that you will notice is the obvious linearity that the game has in terms of gameplay the game will be constantly forcing you to play the way that they want you to play by making you fail the mission if you don't play stealthy or aggressive it just never feels like any of the past game is just a complete f... you to the fans of the past series, the naval combat is really fun but after a while i notice the freaking cover of my box said i was playing an Assassin's Creed game, but overall the combat system and the naval battles and the gorgeous graphics can't just hold up the raw that this game will bring you if you were a fan of the previous games. In conclusion Assassin's Creed 3 is a barely decent game beautiful graphics, amazing combat system, and naval control cannot make the player avoid noticing the awful mistakes that the linear gameplay dumb waste of story space and various uninteresting hours of waste of time and effort just leaves me with the feeling that this game could have been ten times better than what it end up being if you are a big fan of the series you will definitely be very disappointed.
  74. Mar 29, 2013
    I never really felt as emerged in this game as i did with AC2,ACB and ACR since the story is dull and way too draged out to be any fun.
    All the characters in AC3 is alot more boring and forgettable than the ones from AC2 which makes the story even worse as it beacomes more of a chore than anything else.
  75. Mar 29, 2013
    The sad truth is that one of the most hyped games of 2012 just wasn't very good by any stretch of the imagination. Assassin's Creed III is by the far the worst entry in the series to date and its greatest achievement include making the American Revolution boring, creating a boring protagonist, having one of the worst endings of 2012, and owning some hilarious bugs. I guess I will say the positive things first. Maybe I should say thing. The graphics are really great and the game actually looks beautiful. At least when you aren't slipping into holes in the geometry or clipping through walls that is. You play as Connor, or his true name Noonecares. I didn't much care for Ezio, but Connor has got to be one of the dullest personalities I have found in recent games. Despite having more character development than Ezio, he still falls short when compared to Ezio. The rest of the story somehow manages to be boring too. Many of the exciting moments take place in cutscenes and then you just walk from one cutscene to another. Sounds fun? You're right it doesn't. There's also a 6 hour tutorial. Yep! You don't even play as Connor then either! I know right?! Look just wait for this to drop to 20 dollars. If you must play you may find some enjoyment, but don't expect a godsend. A fantastic game this is not. Expand
  76. Mar 28, 2013
    The result of when a franchise with so much potential becomes a yearly cash grab like so many others in this day and age. After months of hype and build up, ACIII is a shell of what was promised to us. An uninspired story that forces players to clock in at least 3 4hrs gameplay until you even get to play as the protagonist, and even when you take control of this character, he is nothing more than a whiny errand boy with so little to like that I found it hard to watch cutscenes.
    The "refined combat" we were promised is the same one button counter system, just mapped out differently on your controller, and so combat is just as bland as it has been in the last 4 games.
    I very rarely get as excited for a game as I was for this one, and it was for that reason that it won top place on my WORST of 2012 list. A massive letdown from start to finish. And with the newly announced AC4 on the horizon, my hopes are dim for this franchise to redeem itself.
  77. Mar 26, 2013
    I went into this game with grand expectations. as the first official sequel since the transition to ezio, what I expected was a big leap in gameplay and world. what i got was fun, at first, until the dust settled and assassins creed hit its stride as a retread of old ground, but this time with a much less interesting set of characters, a story i dont quite feel anything for and stakes that are nearly transparent. It isnt that i dont love the mechanics, or even the way it plays, for some reason beyond me, i cannot bring myself to pick the game up for the single player anymore. however, i must say the multiplayer shines, as it has since its creation. the play is exciting, fun and clever, with each game mode bringing something new to the table. exactly the same as the previous multiplayer, but in the context it can really be enjoyed as it is. Expand
  78. Mar 26, 2013
    Assassin's Creed III tries hard to be an ambitious, non-linear game. It succeeds, and it fails at the same time. While it's combat it's distinctly improved, it's stealth focus is diminished. Enemies detect you easy, that it makes almost IMPOSSIBLE to kill stealthy. Surprisingly, linear missions which require playing without detected and kill enemies sneaky are well done. That answers that stealth works in linear environments, not in non-linear ones. Assassin's Creed III obviously, has freedom and allows you to explore some interesting locations. Followed by a deep hunting system, it is sometimes rewarding and enjoyable. The platforming variety is diminished. The brand new naval battles aren't as fantastic as everyone says, but It's still solid. A sometimes game-braking flaw of this game are the frequent glitches and bugs, which can frustrate. Story wise, it is descent. However, I was pissed with the dull main character, Connor. He is unlikable, because he's always unhappy, angry and short spoken. Desmond's story gets confusing. What make things even worse, is the abysmal, insulting ending. Overall, this lackluster sequel is a huge letdown and not worth the money. Expand
  79. Mar 25, 2013
    I LOVED AC2 and Brotherhood. AC3 was torture. I did finish the game, but it was a masochistic exercise. Gone is the wonderful openness and joy of exploring. AC3 feels like a series of mini-game tasks, requiring precise movements at exactly the right time to complete the task. Each new task is more frustrating than the last. There is no organic game play at all. You either play the game on rails, or you don't play. The game has way to many game systems, that are poorly cobbled together, and each a poor copy of better implementations in other games. e.g. the whole survivalist/frontier track robbed from Read Dead Redemption. In addition, the game has many graphical glitches and bugs throughout. I am SO HAPPY that I did not pay full price for this. Ubisoft should be ashamed of releasing this. AC3 just isn't fun. There is no joy in this game, only torture. Expand
  80. Mar 25, 2013
    Not a fan boy of the AC series as this is the first game I have played in the series. I will definatly be getting some of the older titles off the back of this one. As such my review is purely based on my experience of this game and not how it compares to the previous. I loved it. Graffics are cutscenes are great. So much to do apart from the main storyline. Battle system is wonderful. Only real issue if you can called it that is that it is far to easy to make money and nothing really to spend it on. Expand
  81. Mar 23, 2013
    played AC since the first one released, this one is a total disappointment. Assassin running is wood or walking on ground are missing the original merit of this game, stupid and nothing cool. This will stop me from buying the game for the coming years. Who dare to being an assassin without style.
  82. Mar 18, 2013
    The worst thing about this game is that it was released a t all.. it's fun only when you play with Desmond but there's not much of it.. story is shallow and dialagues are wooden at best. Sigh.. Ezio..
  83. Mar 14, 2013
    First impressions of Assassin's Creed III is that it's amazing. It's beautiful. The intro although a bit too long lays the foundation for something epic. But that's about it story wise. And for a series that depends so heavily on a story, this is devastating for AC3. I spend the entire game waiting for that extra gear to kick in, for something to happen that takes this game to a new level. But it never happens. Instead we are served this rather bland and predictable story that doesn't really grabs a hold of you. There are no interesting plot twists. It's such a shame. What AC3 is missing is an overlook, something or someone to tie all the knots togheter. You have this beautiful setting but they could have made better use of it. The now famous naval missions are great but irrelevant for the story. There's a protagonist who's rather boring when he could have been so great if the writers would have just tried harder to mediate the feeling of "whatever I do I'm doomed" or something like that. A lot of elements in AC3 reminds me too much of the pointless collecting from AC1. A lot of stuff is utterly pointless in AC3. Collect various trinkets for no really useful reason. And the ending is horrible, a cliche unworthy the AC universe. Was this the best they could come up with? Expand
  84. Mar 6, 2013
    I really don't know how this game had a good note, it was horrible to play. It's the worst Assassin's creed of the series. I do not recommend this game, Please do not encourage Ubisoft to make games so bad.
  85. Mar 6, 2013
    the main story is soooo bad it feel like i have wasted four years of my life the graphic is good ,,but the game play is so boring a and the main hero is so stupid ,the music is bad rest in peacics
  86. Mar 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't say that I was expecting much from new "Assassin's Creed". Neither I can say that all previous games in the series were bad. At some point they had their problems that made me wish to see the credits rolling. New changes that we could see in the trailers were fascinating. Ship sequences, new protagonist, wild life, new to the series environment and, of course, new time period and setting made fans wonder what the game would be. Playing as two protagonists, who were on the opposite sites of conspiracy gave a fresh look on the main story. Connor, a native citizen of new world, is as good character as Ezio in AC II, but yet Connor manages to let player understand hate and moral choices more than you could image earlier in the series. Storyline of 18th century is mixed with gameplay in the future, that finally became as important and interesting as any other in the game.
    Gameplay was significantly rebuild adding some new features like quick death scenes using different animation from time to time. Fighting scenes became very cinematic not letting you take eyes of your screen. During the game you will also have to command a group of soldiers that are defending their line.
    Other important part that should be mentioned is warship navigation. Although there are only few sea fights in the game, and it is not a flaw, they are the ones you can't forget because they are epic.
    The first thing that comes to mind when I think of AC III is Connor running with his axe in the grass, suddenly appearing behind enemy soldiers and assassinating them. This memory is so strong that it is easy to forget about some minor bugs that appeared during walkthrough. I would even say, that AC III is the buggiest game in the series (after some flaws in first AC), although these bugs were never critical, but they took me out of the game to realize that I was back on my coach. Probably they all were fixed in following patch that I never installed.
    "Assassin's Creed III" is a must buy game for each AC fan and any gamer who likes detailed and original world of a game. I have to add that 3rd big installment of assassin is in my top 5 games list that were released in 2012.
  87. Feb 26, 2013
    I believe Ubisoft did good with this one. New big world and new set of quests better controls.
    I just hated the bugs (too many bugs) even after patches.
    Comparing AC3 with Revelation I found that Revelation was better in story and graphics. While AC3 is better in controls variety of quests. Still AC Revelation beats AC3 for me.
    I'm an Ezio fan, so having a new assassin to master should
    really convince me to like him/her. Conner was good but couldn't replace Ezio.
    Over all, it is recommended to play, but I don't think this one could make you an AC fan
  88. Feb 26, 2013
    as is ubisofts want, the control of the character drastically failed towards the end of the game, the cutscene quality diminished, and the over all interaction of the game failed. the programmers need to get their act together and actually properly finish a game instead of halfassing it just to get it onto shelves.
  89. Feb 23, 2013
    Sadly, this is a game that just doesn't feel fresh. There isn't enough new or exciting in terms of gameplay to distinguish this from AC2 part 4. After playing all the Ezio games I was not only beginning to tire of the same old stuff gameplay wise, but also very disappointed in how unlikable Connor is, especially when compared to Ezio or even Haytham. I wish I could have played as Haytham for the entire game instead. I did play the game through to the end, which is saying something I guess, but I really have no desire to go back and try to complete more side missions or unlock or explore anything else. The ending also felt like a real let down. I remember almost crying at the end of Metal Gear 3 because of how beautiful it was. The ending of this game left me feeling empty and thinking "That's it?" Expand
  90. Feb 21, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 3 is probably my least favourite Assassin's Creed game. That doesn't mean it is a terrible game but it could of been more polished. The tree running mechanic is a welcome change of pace and I quite enjoy it. It is easy to navigate the environment just by holding the run button and it is very responsive, meaning that Connor won't get any bright ideas of running off into a ditch or something like that. The hunting system is quite nice as well, even if sometimes I feel like there really isn't much of a point besides selling it to gain money. The combat system is a welcome improvement over previous games in the franchise. It is satisfying as hell to decimate an entire platoon of soldiers with the combat system. The environments are gorgeous and the construction of Boston and New York during their time period is great. The main protagonist, Connor, is alright and I don't mind Connor as a character. I prefer Altair (OMG NOT EZIO?!?!) but Connor's story invested me enough to want to keep going. Last positive thing I enjoyed were the naval missions.

Despite what I stated in the last paragraph, AC3 is more frustrating than fun. The reason is because I didn't feel like an assassin while playing this game. I found invading forts to be dreadful because the stealth mechanics are just poor. A.I. opponents can see you rather easily, even if you can't see them (as in one would be behind a door and could still flipping see me when I exposed myself). It seems like these fort missions encourage me to use combat rather than stealth, but I don't want to do that because I"m an ASSASSIN. And while the tree running mechanic is somewhat fresh, the old gameplay of Assassin's Creed hasn't improved, as in it is still as frustrating as it was in the first AC game. This especially shows when you're trying to chance someone. I felt that even though the combat system improved, the core gameplay of AC was left untouched, meaning all the issues with it are still present. This is a big problem because this is how you're going to play the game, and it is a long game so at least it isn't light on content. As for the Homestead missions and crafting and trading, why? Why is this a new core gameplay style for the AC franchise? It wasn't necessary in AC2 because of how much money you would make from other missions, and the same happens in AC3. I don't like it, but maybe some people have found some enjoyment in it. The side missions are bland. Courier missions are just kind of there, and so are delivery missions. Club missions provide some enjoyment and provide usage to some gameplay ideas, but I found them to be forgettable. Overall, AC3 has good intentions, but I found they were executed poorly. It is frustrating rather than fun and that is what is what stopped me from playing the game. Both Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 had problems, but the gameplay worked for the missions that were granted for you, most of the time. Here, it seems like the gameplay doesn't work in conjunction with some of the ideas.
  91. Feb 20, 2013
    For full review, visit http://www.tumblr.com/blog/hardcoreturnedcasual

After three full Euro-set AC games, Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed III finally broke the mold and made the trip to the New World. And oh, this is such a lofty, ambitious title.. rife with possibilities. It is undeniably jam-packed with content so much so that the main quest almost feels like an afterthought.

I
    really wanted to love it.. There are so many amazing games out right now and I don’t have a lot of time on my hands to play them all, so giving AC3 a shot despite the negative reviews was a leap of faith on my part. I wish I could say that my faith was rewarded. What I got from my ultimate risk was a game that was fun in spurts, but eventually felt like a chore here’s why.

CONS (see full review for more)
    -Side quests and item collection doesn’t feel important enough-

I was focusing on the main missions in my playthrough, but that usually doesn’t keep me from getting ANY item/armor/weapon upgrades in a game. The crafting and item upgrade system was not integrated into the main storyline at ALL, and I actually had to look at a walkthrough to see how to even begin to get a new melee weapon.

As for side quests, I felt cheated. The end of game references your “merry band of thieves”, but I never had one because i didn’t care enough to assemble them. There was that French guy from the main quest… but one man does not a band make.

In AC2 I wanted to unlock every weapon and fix the mansion town completely, because I was steered towards the beginnings of those processes. This was not the case in AC3.

But I must say that my main bone of contention lies with the armor upgrades. Even just for aesthetic purposes! Where were the ancient suits of armor, begging to be unlocked? This omission detracted greatly from the short main story as well I like to get drawn into upgrading my character so that I know what I’m getting for my extra trouble. Then, I can feel powerful in mandatory story missions.

PROS (see full review for more)
    -Hub world-

Hub worlds are a lost art. From Demon’s Souls’ Nexus to Hyrule Field in Ocarina of Time, they always seem to add an extra dimension to great games. To a lesser extent than those mentioned above, the cave in AC3 has more parts to open up and explore as you advance in the game’s main quest.

CONCLUSION: Ubisoft is now a big, prestigious studio that has clout, budget and had lots of time to work on Assassin’s Creed III. This many inconsistencies and glitches gameplay failures is inexcusable. It’s just not as epic and grand as the other AC games felt.

From what I understand, there’s a lot more to like if you have time to sink into this game. Exploration may be a lot stronger without the pressure I felt to complete the main story. Crafting new weapons and armor is interesting and likely very fun. Animus hacks for unlimited ammo, health etc. seem like a great way to extent the games shelf-life as well.

While worth a playthrough and undoubtedly better when you delve into more side-quest distractions, the main game of Assassin’s Creed III leaves a lot to be desired and was largely disappointing.
  92. Feb 19, 2013
    While I think Assassin's Creed III is a solid game, I think it also suffers in quite a few ways.

Assassin's Creed I was a good concept that wasn't executed that well. It was a really tedious experience.
    Assassin's Creed II capitalized on the good parts of AC1 and added a lot of awesome stuff to make it a very fun experience.
    Brotherhood was also a very solid game that expanded on
    concepts introduced in AC2 and was another relatively fun game.

After Brotherhood, the series starting taking a step back. Revelations was a good game, but it felt like a chore to complete. The story also started to become a lot more convoluted and uninteresting. AC3, while it has a lot of good stuff to it, continues in this negative direction. While it drew me in with a very unique Revolutionary War theme, it quickly ended up being just another chore to complete in the same vein as Revelations. It started off as a relatively fun game, but it quickly descended. It felt relatively similar to previous Assassin's Creed games, even with the change in scenery. The gameplay is good, but it just wasn't all that engrossing anymore. I had a hard time keeping interest in this game. While the game encourages exploration and doing side quests, I was just more concerned with completing the game and seeing how the story concluded (which it really didn't do a great job of doing, at that). I just didn't care about doing any of the side missions. In AC2, the whole experience engrossed me and made me WANT to do all of the extra stuff. Brotherhood also had a similar effect, but was starting to diminish a bit. I did very little extra stuff in Revelations and that trend continued with AC3. The whole experience just wasn't as fun as it used to be, despite being a well-done game.

Connor is a decent protagonist, but it's very hard to get into him, and that is a big reason for the game's shortcomings. He's a no-nonsense guy who really doesn't have a lot to offer personality-wise. And it's easy to understand, given his past. However, it also makes it really hard to relate to him, and that's where you start to distance yourself from the game. The average gamer is probably going to have a tough time relating to Connor because he is just so... meh (I couldn't really think of another way to put it). On the other hand, Ezio also had a very troubled past, but still managed to be a very entertaining protagonist. He was a funny guy with a lot of personality, and we all know a guy like him. This helps draw you into the game and makes you wonder what happens to this very interesting character. Altair really didn't have this, and neither did Connor (for the most part). Connor's past definitely had a lot of potential to create a strong storyline. And, while it did produce a pretty good storyline, it just wasn't as engrossing as it could've been. And a lot of that has to do with Connor not being an incredibly likable protagonist. It's a pretty serious hindrance that drags the game down. It also makes you start to notice other flaws in the game that may have been covered up otherwise. I immediately began to realize how, aside from a few slight additions (like the battles, which I found to be decent, at best), this is basically the same exact formula as AC games past, but with a different appearance. I quickly began to realize how the whole game started to feel like a "been there, done that" ordeal. The Assassin's Creed formula is really good, but it was starting to grow a bit tired by the end of Revelations and it was really magnified by the end of AC3.

Is Assassin's Creed III a bad game? Absolutely not. It's a fun experience that is, unfortunately, hampered by some rather glaring flaws. It features a subpar protagonist that really could've used a more likable personality, a "been there, done that" feel, and a convoluted overall storyline that just really makes you lose interest in the series as a whole. These 3 big issues really kept me from gaining a full interest in this game.

Without these big flaws, I think this would probably be a solid 8/10 game. However, they are present and really began to take a toll on my interest. I just couldn't get into Connor. I got bored of the same formula that has been present for the previous 3 games. The overarching storyline is just really confusing as a whole and just ended on a sour note in this game.

Again, AC3 is a decent game. However, it had a chance to reinvent itself with the new setting, but it just didn't capitalize fully on that chance. Instead, we got a very similar game to previous AC games that, while good, was very tired due to the same formula being utilized in the 3 previous games. That just didn't sit well with me, especially with all of the material it had to work with in the Revolutionary War.

Ultimately, AC3 ends up being a mixed bag. There's a lot of good stuff featured in the game, but a lot of stuff that will make you shake your head, as well.
  93. Feb 19, 2013
    The story would have been almost perfect had Ubisoft not jumped through the story so fast, I enjoyed the new assassin Connor with the new features such as better firearms, cover, and weapons but I must admit, there were a few plot-holes that made me a little disappointment, nevertheless it made a good ending to the Assassin's Creed game series
  94. Feb 18, 2013
    Bottom Line: Given the amount of options and exploration, there are many ways to both love and loathe Assassins Creed 3. The good news is with so much variety, a player can craft the perfect story that provides the best game play experience.

Assassins Creed 3 is a fun game. The game is not afraid to explore the darker side of the American Revolution. There is a lot to do in the
    adventure sandbox world of Assassins Creed 3 because the sandbox is littered with thousands of mini-games like hunting game, liberating areas from Templar control, securing trade routes, searching for treasure, etc., etc. The game also includes a new feature that adds an additional dimension of gameplay. This new feature is captaining your own frigate battleship. This additional gameplay mechanic allows players the ability to engage in naval battles against the British red coats. However, given all these options, there is a certain amount of monotony that accompanies these mini-games. The only real reward is money or the ability to make more money. Perhaps a better incentive would be unlocking new missions and content after mastering a mini-game. Until then I am going to avoid the activities that I find tedious. A part of me feels that the developers of Assassins Creed are ashamed of the game’s core mechanics, which are the assassinations of high profile target. So they make numerous mini-games to appease their unwarranted feelings of embarrassment. Don’t be embarrassed Assassins Creed; the assassinations are the best part and at least the story is compelling. In Assassin Creed 3 we get to explore colonial America through the lens of Connor who is the protagonist of this game. For what it is worth Connor is an amazingly compelling character because of his development throughout the game, but I couldn't help but hate him to for all the whining that he does. In addition there are so many moments where Connor fights with the idea of being an assassin and even believes he doesn't need to kill Templars to accomplish his objective. He will soon find that showing mercy is a terrible trait to have for an assassin. Expand
  95. Feb 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give Assassin's Creed III a 10 out of 10 review because, not only did it have and epic open world setting but the campaign was longer then the other Assassin's Creed games and it had an epic twist in the original story. I also thought that the combat was fantastic because not only did Ubisoft choose to make Connor a Dual Wielder but they added some great cinematic combats too. Finally I think that the new Multiplayer modes were Incredible! Expand
  96. Feb 5, 2013
    The gameplay seemed a lot more basic, yet somehow refined and easier than in previous Assassin’s Creed games, yet compared to Batman Arkham Asylum’s and Arkham City’s gameplay and combat system, Assassin’s Creed’s mechanic seemed just a kind of button mash at times, eg Press circle to counter and then mash square, otherwise press x and then mash square. It was just to simple and the game was simple. I was annoyed that Ubisoft decided to do away with the health potion systems, not that it mattered seeing as I didn’t die one single time throughout the game (that’s including all main story missions, side missions, naval battles etc). The only gameplay mechanic that I was impressed with was the climbing mechanic, as with in every Assassin’s Creed game. Ubisoft just seem to be able to pull that off better than anyone else. Climbing on trees was fun, likewise was climbing up cliffs, but in the city’s Boston and New York I found myself staying on the ground rather than climbing up on rooftops and just having an overall more fun experience. In a way there were too many guards I guess on some off the rooftops, which just annoyed me especially when I just didn’t want to be in open conflict and just get on with free running, doing the story or collecting feathers, peg legs etc. Synchronizing view points in this game was different in a way as well, mainly as this time round they didn’t show you the whole map, even after synchronizing all of them in the game. Which was annoying in a way and I can’t understand why Ubisoft decided to do that. I mean of all things to change from pervious games, it was one of the most memorable things to do in the game and also one of the most rewarding (well for me it was, I just loved having 100% of the map unlocked so I could go round and do everything in the game). Not to say that it took away from the overall experiences it just didn’t feel like a proper Assassin’s Creed game to me the fact it didn’t reveal the entire map.

I didn’t particularly like Connor as a character, as he didn’t really show any emotions at all throughout the game and also, the main complaint I have about the game is about the assassinations themselves. You have a total of 5 targets to kill in the game, which isn’t near as much as what was in previous Asssassin’s Creed games, so I was a tad let down by that. However out of the 5 targets you have to kill, you really only kill 2 of them. And by 2 I’m being generous, as in sequence 8, which is a linear sequence as you are in prison for all of it and when you are about to be hung, your mentor frees you, you have no choice but to run after your target and assassinate him there and then with your tomahawk.
    The rest of your targets assassinations are pressing a button during a cutscene when prompted (even through the games main villain, Connor’s father Haytham) which was very annoying for me and possibly for most other Assassin’s Creed fans. Your final target that you have to kill is Chrales Lee, Haytham’s right hand man. The build up to his death is good, the chase to hunt him down is what you’ve come to know and expect from previous AC games, but when you finally reach him, it goes to a cut scene and the game kills Charles Lee for you. I thought it was taking the piss if I’m honest. I didn’t know how Connor could call himself a proper Assassin with only 5 targets to kill and even though he gathers training in the Brotherhood over the years, his movements and combat are the exact same as when you get to play as him as a chilld. It’s quite ridiculous.

The thing most people were talking about was the naval battles, which were good but were also very short. For me that was the best part of the game and really the only thing that Ubisoft added that managed to improve on from Assassin’s Ceed II, Brotherhood and Revelations. Overall the game was a let down for me, but it was by no means a bad game. I just wouldn’t go back to it and replay it, like I have I with every other Assassin’s Creed game (even AC Revelations). If you’re a fan of Assassin’s Creed, then you’ve already bought this game, either given up on it or completed it just because you wanted to see how Desmond’s story ends. For those who aren’t fans of the series, I’d recommend that you just buy Assassin’s Creed, Assassin’s Creed II and then Assassin’s Creed III and you might get more value for your money out of the game.
  97. Feb 5, 2013
    This game is... quite honestly this game is rather bad... this is coming from a guy who has quite a high tolerance level for glitches and just general bad gamedesign. I can stomach a glitch here and there, I can take unresponsive control, in Assassin's creed 2 and Brotherhood these existed as well and those are my favourite titles in the franchise by far... but this game just takes it to a whole new level, begging me to question wether Ubisoft really finished this game, and this is coming from someone who's played the game nearly half a year after it was released, and hearing the game was even buggier back when it hit the storeshelves! The story is a complete boring on-rails experience, woven into a mission system that almost seems afraid to let go of your hand out of fear of you getting hopelessly lost. This is coming out of personal preference but the colonial times are just not as appealing to me as renaisance Italy was, probably because I am european and I'm not too educated on american history I don't know but the setting, aside from the graphically amazing frontier, felt incredibly bland and most buildings seemed more like a copy paste job than anything else. The combat, while definitely fun on its own, is a case of don't fix what isn't broken, what was wrong with ACII's combat? The music, wherever it is present, is still amazing, Jesper Kyd's feel for making this series sound awsome is still very apparent in this title. But none of these things come even close to how utterly broken this game feels. free running is a disaster, i can't count how many times I have pressed forward on my controller and Connor ACTUALLY went backward! the mission constraint don't feel like bonus objectives at all, they take the fun out of the game for any completionist out there and in some missions they actually punish players for being thorough, such as some of the naval missions where having a fully upgraded ship actually makes achieving bonus objectives a complete and utter excercise in frustration. I have loved this franchise since day one, the pseudo-sci-fi backstory of Desmond aside, I adore the historical feel of these games, but the way I see it this game was a nail in the franchise's coffin. One final word of advice to Ubisoft, give us an ASSASSIN's creed! If I wanted to play an action adventure game I would go play God of war. Expand
  98. Feb 4, 2013
    Since it's an open world game, It's obvious that It will have technical issues such as glitches or bugs. But there's still some surprising problems. The voice acting few times is weak. The story can get confusing. The side quests are disappointing, dull. The new controls are problematic. Oh, and that "lovable" ending frustrated me. However, it can't be said that Assassin's Creed 3 is not good. The new combat is flashy. The new additions are worthy, most of the time functional. Assassin's Creed 3 is descent, but a disappointment compared to the other AC games. Expand
  99. Jan 29, 2013
    A slightly draining story is easily forgivable once you experience the huge multitude of gameplay options. There are so many ways to complete and play this game that multiple playthroughs won't suffice, even if those playthroughs go for hours with sometimes an apparent lack of purpose. Some bad conveyance with objectives or story related plot goings leave the narrative in a bit of a mess, but there's so much to enjoy otherwise that I loved the majority of this game. Combat is improved, but some more stealth mechanics wouldn't go amiss. Weirdly, I enjoyed the Desmond missions a ton in this game, and was a little bummed out by their lack of frequency. The ending sucks too. Expand
  100. Jan 28, 2013
    Like Resident Evil 6, this game has just too many issues. Too many brick walls. Right when you're getting into it you're hit with some section which has you questioning if you even want to go on. Note: having to take out every bad guy on a boat using the exact method the developer demands, requiring endless trial and error and reloading ten times is not fun. It's a relic of the worst old stealth games. The stealth in general is just terrible and pointless. Bad guys everywhere and you always just end up in a fight anyways so you just stop trying stealth at all. Incredible world and many amazing sections make the game good overall, but forget about the polish, just as the developers did. Expand
  101. Nov 11, 2012
    "Who is responsible for ruining this once great franchise?" I'm going to get right to the point. This game is by far distances the worst in the series, it's simply not a good game, not only is it a bad AC game, it's just a bad game, period. You see, when there was backlash a year ago about Skyrim, it got a low score from fans here on Metacritic but not because the game was bad, it was because the game was bugged. When MW3 got a low score, it wasn't because the game is crap, it was because it was the same game being released year in and out. Earlier this year when Mass Effect 3 got poor ratings, it was because it had a terrible ending, not because the game was bad. Assassins creed 3 on the other hand suffers from everything those games got scrutinized for, and more. The story and ending are absolutely awful, the story in this series easily went from a very well thought out sci-fi/historical NY times best seller to a high school short story assignment which would have been graded an F, and unlike ME3 which had a great story not including the ending, this game suffers from poor story telling start to finish. The gameplay, there is hardly anything new here, what previous versions of the series did, they did well, here not only did previous gameplay mechanics get worse, but the little additions they brought in were either boring, or handled very poorly, with respect to naval battles. Unlike MW3 where everyone expected it to be the same, and was being sold as such with minor tweaks, AC3 was being sold as a bigger leap from AC2, than AC2 had from AC1, which is a complete and utter lie. The bugs, this game has so many bugs, it may not rival the likes of Skyrim on PS3, but there's a huge difference, Skyrim was actually a fantastic game, this is not. I have been a huge fan of the series since the first game, I've played every single game several times, watched short videos, read comics, played the handheld games. I have been a huge fan, AC2 is easily my game of the generation. AC3 on the other hand is my flop of the generation. It's missing so many core features previous installments had, from the non existent ambient music playing while exploring to the complete lack of stealth. The game is a mess from start to finish, it's really hard to invest yourself in the world or the characters, it's hard to care about them, Connor is absolutely boring, Desmond's story is a joke, the ending a disaster. You get tossed around so much during this game that it makes it feel like you are jumping from one thing to another, there's no clear path to anything, and it's not that there's a lack of hand holding, because that's all this game does for you is hold your hand, make sure not to let go as well, because if you try to approach an objective in a way you see more suitable, you will fail. You have to do it the way the developer wants you to do it, they want you to be their puppet. Well, I'm sorry but I refuse to be one and this will be my last AC game. Whoever was in charge of hiring the team that worked on AC3, forfeit your life savings, get on your knees and beg Patrice Désilets to return because he was the visionary behind this once great series. Even those who worked on Brotherhood and Revelations knew what the game was about, and they had much less time to do it all. This team, given 3 years showed us that they are nothing but a team of failures and their lack of experience really really shows. Heartbroken. Collapse

1. Mar 6, 2013
    The Assassin’s Creed formula of fighting and parkour is starting to get old, even with the ability to climb trees now. Maybe it’s the repetitiveness of the series, or maybe it’s just less interesting to toss crates of tea into the harbour than to hunt and kill corrupt bishops.
  2. Dec 3, 2012
    This review is getting long-winded so let's wrap it up. Assassin's Creed III is the biggest and most ambitious Assassin's Creed title yet, but a few missteps leaves it short of being the series' best. In spite of my excessive nitpicking, Assassin's Creed III is great game and a must-have for any Assassin's fan.
  3. Nov 26, 2012
    A great continuation of the Assassin's Creed series because of the strong visuals, gameplay and story. Though it must be said that the story gets somewhat boring towards the end, which leaves a sour taste.