8.1

1. Jan 19, 2018
    Assassins Creed Black Flag is masterpiece
    its have big open world full of things to do, side activity to complete, animals to hunt and use it for armor or weapons,
    big fishes to kill on water, explore under the water, upgrade your ship, destroy templers outposts and many more things aside of that it have great story, awesome game-play, and beautiful graphics for any platforms. i highly
    Assassins Creed Black Flag is masterpiece
    i highly recommend this game for every one.
  2. Oct 29, 2017
    Me gusto mucho este Assasin's Creed. Me daba miedo ver como quedaba la saga después de la trilogía, pero este no me decepcionó, un mundo abierto increíble, se le puede exprimir muchísimas horas al juego.
  3. Sep 17, 2017
    This is more a game of pirates and ships than an AC game. If you plan to play other earlier games of this serie you should play them before start with Black Flag because there is an spoiler (from AC III). This is a good game with great graphics and very colourful. In my opinion I think they could have made a new game with a completely different story instead of extend the Assassin's CreedThis is more a game of pirates and ships than an AC game. If you plan to play other earlier games of this serie you should play them before start with Black Flag because there is an spoiler (from AC III). This is a good game with great graphics and very colourful. In my opinion I think they could have made a new game with a completely different story instead of extend the Assassin's Creed saga. This game is longer than the last AC games. It took me 28 hours to beat (including some extras, although if you want to do all of them you can easily spend many hours). In this game the naval battle is more complex than in AC III. An advise: make sure you have mortar's ammo when you attack fortresses. Expand
  4. Jul 10, 2017
    This in my opinion is the greatest assassins creed game of all time. I know most of the fans prefer the second one and I also love that game. But this game is practically a masterpiece and it's also way better then assassins creed 3 which i was very disappointed with. There is so much to do in this game that you'll be playing for hours outside the story to do everything there is to do onThis in my opinion is the greatest assassins creed game of all time. I know most of the fans prefer the second one and I also love that game. But this game is practically a masterpiece and it's also way better then assassins creed 3 which i was very disappointed with. There is so much to do in this game that you'll be playing for hours outside the story to do everything there is to do on the map. Lets get to the story. I'll be honest it doesn't feel right for an AC game. it's more pirate based but that's kinda the whole point. Edward kenway was a great protagonist and he's also very relatable as he's had a tough life and once to become rich through piracy to have an easier life with his wife. Now the naval combat, it was absolutely brilliant. Boarding and sinking ships has never been so much fine in a pirate game, it felt rewarding and badass and it was controlled perfectly and never gets old. The abstergo nonsense is unfortunately still in the game but it' still not as bad as it was in the past. I also got 100% on this game recently. Unfortunately there's only one thing I dislike about it. Kenways Fleet. It's basically a mobile game and a crap one. You have to wait at least 18 hours to get all the stuff you want and you can't speed it up and gets old. Luckily it's not required to have a great experience in possibly the greatest pirate game to date. Get it if you haven't already! Expand
  5. Mar 31, 2017
    Not the best AC game but a fun pirate type game.

The Good Great naval combat so much fun attacking ships and boarding battles very exciting! Nice tropical graphics and animation very detailed clouds, weather, even the towels are detailed on land. Music was nice touch loved the singing while sailing HUGE open world lots to do and explore The Bad The Abstergo corporate
    Not the best AC game but a fun pirate type game.

The Good

Music was nice touch loved the singing while sailing

HUGE open world lots to do and explore

The Bad

The Abstergo corporate missions SUCKED BAD. Please get rid of this crap nonsense in future or just use a few cutscenes. Was boring and STUPID.

I hated the tailing missions waste of time and boring
    Disliked the poor jump and climb mechanics

Definitely worth buying used for cheap. I liked this and AC2 the best in the series so far but have not played Syndicate yet.
  6. Sep 4, 2016
    I can't bilive how ♥♥♥♥♥♥ awesome is this game. You need to understand that i don't like AssasinCreed franchise, i despise because of ♥♥♥♥♥♥ game-play and missions ( You are a fukin silent assasin that's why called ''Assassin's Creed'' but the game is so idiotic and repetitive nothing silent in this franchises.
    Now back to BLACK FLAG i freaking love it ; WAY? you ask because ,you say that
    Now back to BLACK FLAG i freaking love it ; WAY? you ask because ,you say that you hate AssassinCreed franchise, because it haze nothing to do with the franchise beside the stupid movement , but otherwise is a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ PIRATE GAME with boat navigation, treasure hunt, robbed wat boats you found, pirates sings, and NO ♥♥♥♥♥♥ ASSASINS CREED ♥♥♥♥♥♥ STORY.
    This game is a masterpiece if you like pirates , and you want to play a good pirates game besides Risen 2.
  7. Apr 13, 2016
    I loved this game so much! The characters were complex and the story was interesting. The only thing that let it down for me was, I wasn't quite sure what was happening during some points of the story. I tried to keep up with it, but it was just too hard to follow. The look of this game is beautiful and I enjoyed the fact that the character was more a pirate than an assassin, which made itI loved this game so much! The characters were complex and the story was interesting. The only thing that let it down for me was, I wasn't quite sure what was happening during some points of the story. I tried to keep up with it, but it was just too hard to follow. The look of this game is beautiful and I enjoyed the fact that the character was more a pirate than an assassin, which made it a little different. Expand
  8. Apr 11, 2016
    worse story then AC 3 but amazing gameplay but if you want to use the Brotherhood system this time around called the navy you have to be online witch **** sucks
  9. Jan 7, 2016
    Easily the best Assassin's Creed game ever made, Black Flag is rich with a stunning open world and an intriguing story. At first, travelling the high seas on a boat for hours promised to be a tedious affair, after the first sequence however I was sold. Not many games have completely immersed me in the world I was playing in, this was one of them. With so much to explore, so much to unlock,Easily the best Assassin's Creed game ever made, Black Flag is rich with a stunning open world and an intriguing story. At first, travelling the high seas on a boat for hours promised to be a tedious affair, after the first sequence however I was sold. Not many games have completely immersed me in the world I was playing in, this was one of them. With so much to explore, so much to unlock, so much to discover, Black Flag is one of the best open world games ever made. Expand
  10. Dec 29, 2015
    Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag.Its a mere master blaster its amazing.It got first time full control of ships and a new combat system new way to select weapons and lot more stuff to do.must buy
  11. Oct 30, 2015
    Best action adventure open-world game and great environment and one of the best games in that year and assassin's creed franchise and the next two games unity and syndicate are having awesome gameplay content.
  12. Sep 29, 2015
    Black Flag is by far the best AC game since Assassin's Creed II. Everything about it feels fresh and new.

The lead protagonist, Edward Kenway, is an insatiable rogue with a troubled past who is just as charming as Ezio and even more so than Connor. Ubisoft have truly redeemed themselves with this entry and it stands as one of the best games of 2013. Most of the gameplay elements

Most of the gameplay elements from AC3 return, but are sufficiently utilised to create the best AC experience to date. Crafting is a lot easier and the incentive to plunder other ships to upgrade your own is strangely compelling and addictive.

Most importantly, this game fulfils your unrealised desire to be an Assassin pirate.
  13. Aug 26, 2015
    The greater focus on stealth as well as improved combat and an awesome setting make this the best asassins creed in years. Also worth mentioning, the game thankfully doesn´t have a 3 HOUR tutorial (I´m looking at you, AC3) and lets you run completely free pretty early.
  14. Jun 13, 2015
    I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT HATES THIS EXCELENT TITLE, but is an excelent game, but with some details that are not very good, like that the game is very easy, you dont need practice like the assassins creed's of Ezio, you only need to press 2 buttons in a normal combat, and this can turn boring.
    Graphically the game is good, and I didn't feel loses of FPS like in other games, the story is very simple, but is not bad, is not in the level of the past games of the saga, but you can enjoy it, is very hard to get bored in this game (probably in combat, but making parkour or reaching the 100% is very fun) IS FAR TO BE THE BEST GAME IN THE SAGA, BUT IS A GAME THAT YOU CAN'T SAY THAT IS "TRASH"
  15. May 5, 2015
    Holy **** what an AWESOME game! it took me three weeks to finish this game because I was so
    immersed into the boat warfare mechanic they made, I really felt like a pirate sailing around the open world
    ocean when I wasn't doing the story, the atmosphere Ubisoft made was AMAZING, they made an amazing pirate game as well as an AC game. The superb soundtrack and mechanics of the ship (and the singing) all felt awesome. I don't understand the scores of 0, AC4 does have problems but no way it deserves a zero. The strongest assets of the game I think are its atmosphere and story/characters. In my opinion, the story is the best in the AC franchise so far and all the character's were amazing. I really did like Edward as a character, it felt cool and different to play as a less righteous assassin than the ones in the other AC games. That all being said the sword fighting and most of the combat felt a little weird and awkward, it was smoother in AC3 in my opinion. Overall AC4 is an amazing experience and I'd recommend it to anyone, my original score was 9.7 so I rounded it to 10.
  16. Jan 25, 2015
    This game is the best I ever played. The graphics are so good. The gameplay is cool. The ship battle is awesome.This is the best assassins creed game ever. I beat all four legendary ships. This game costs every penny.
  17. Jan 18, 2015
    It is one of my favourite games for ps3.I loved the side quest and Edward is a badass.I loved naval but i prefered to pass the most time out of the ship,inside the sea or on land.The only bad thing is that Edward is neither an assassin nor a templar and he moves between the both sides but i didn't really care about that
  18. Jan 16, 2015
    Gorgeous world to explore. Raiding ships. Assaulting forts. Hunting( and being hunted). Harpooning and treasure hunts. Everything you would want in a pirate based game! This game, hands down, has the best water ever rendered. Love watching enemies being mauled by a surprise jaguar attack. Customizing and upgrading the Jackdaw is the fuel for daring to raid a "hard" level ship when you knowGorgeous world to explore. Raiding ships. Assaulting forts. Hunting( and being hunted). Harpooning and treasure hunts. Everything you would want in a pirate based game! This game, hands down, has the best water ever rendered. Love watching enemies being mauled by a surprise jaguar attack. Customizing and upgrading the Jackdaw is the fuel for daring to raid a "hard" level ship when you know you're biting off more than you can chew.
    Got it late, so couldn't get access to other elements of play. Hate withheld content.
    Anytime a game has me playing at ten hour stretches (last time was Skyrim and Far Cry 3) I know it's a keeper.
  19. Jan 15, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Finally some major new content for us to enjoy. But does it all stick togeather....yes!

First of all, AC4 takes place in the Carribean islands, you are a pirate named Edward Kenway who is the father of AC3 main antagonist Haytham. This is the first AC game that is a prequel to another game.
    The story takes you through a real rollercoaster. Edwards character is fresh and his reasons for doing most of the things in the game are........money and more of it.
    The combat felt the same ad AC3, but the edition of 4 pistols and two swords made for some intense battles. The map is filled with many islands for you to explore at your will, because soon after 1 or 2 hours into the game you can sail across the ocean with your ship, The Jackdaw.

The graphics look fenomenal on the PS3 and even better on PS4. The whole map looks huge. It takes some time for you to get from one place to another. The vibrant nature of the islands and the animation of the weather and the sea was awesome. Although I did run into some bugs but they were a lot smaller than AC3.

Overall the game is great and i would recoment it to peaple not only interested in the AC franchise, but for pirating favorites as well. The soundtrack is great, the characters also. Some minor bugs. AC4 is one of the best entries in the franchise.
  20. Dec 28, 2014
    Thanks to its well-crafted storytelling and addictive hunting/combat system, "Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag" triumphs, despite its somewhat clumsy controls.
  21. Dec 28, 2014
    Ac4 is a great ac game. I got 100% completion on it and it wasn't that boring. The whole game revolves around being a pirate exploring the carribean whether you be at sea fighting a man o war or hunting in the jungles for rare animal to get his expensive hide for an upgraded pouch this game is bloody pure fun. The story isn't all that amazing but it works but this game could have workedAc4 is a great ac game. I got 100% completion on it and it wasn't that boring. The whole game revolves around being a pirate exploring the carribean whether you be at sea fighting a man o war or hunting in the jungles for rare animal to get his expensive hide for an upgraded pouch this game is bloody pure fun. The story isn't all that amazing but it works but this game could have worked just as well if it were a pirate game without the rare assassins bits it carries over from ac3. the game has modern day sequences where you can do little mini games and puzzles like frogger to hack into abstergos computers and uncover their secrets. The game includes the multiplayer feature which is pretty much copy and pasted from ac3 which had some new cool things in it, multiplayer is ac3 with a pirate theme not much and I only could play it for a short amount of period time though but all asides from that ac4 is a great game and worth buying even for those who aren't full on AC fanc Expand
  22. Dec 16, 2014
    Definitely a game worth picking up if you are a veteran Assassin's Creed fan or you are just starting the series. AC Black Flag was my first AC game and after playing it for 20+ hours I went out and bought the Ezio Trilogy to see why it was so hyped. This game is amazing. From the Naval combat to exploring the hundreds of different island ports to fighting jaguars in the jungle, this gameDefinitely a game worth picking up if you are a veteran Assassin's Creed fan or you are just starting the series. AC Black Flag was my first AC game and after playing it for 20+ hours I went out and bought the Ezio Trilogy to see why it was so hyped. This game is amazing. From the Naval combat to exploring the hundreds of different island ports to fighting jaguars in the jungle, this game has enough content to satisfy almost any gamer. I only have one complaint about this game and that is the fire-ant mentality of the enemy ships. there is nothing worse than you being down on supplies and having a damaged ship, going after a small ship to gather supplies and then being attacked by 3 Man o' Wars. Also the real-world quests are nothing short of inconsequential. But other than that there isn't much to complain about. The naval aspect is refreshing and AC4 is the first game to successfully pull off naval combat in a way that doesn't take away from the gameplay itself. Another interesting part of the game is the animals. In previous Assassin's creed games, horses and pigeons were the only animals you could interact with. But now you have rabbits, monkeys, lizards, jaguars, crocodiles, whales, and sharks, all of which can be hunted and stripped down for supplies. Hunting animals was a much needed aspect that just boosted the Assassin's Creed experience.
    Overall this game is the much needed reboot that the Franchise needed. 9/10 This game needs to be in your collection.
  23. Dec 12, 2014
    At first this game was incredible. The differences it took from the rest of the series, not only in game play but in story line, being non-linear and then sort of misleading to the overall plot was a good experience to play through. I soon become bored though, and took a couple almost a year to pick it back up and beat the game which I was still very happy with the end, as weird as it left off.
  24. PZJ
    Nov 29, 2014
    Very fun game. Great sailing mechanics and pirating. Ground fighting is the same as all these games so you probably know what you're getting. Only real downside was that the plot was linear and pretty boring. Boring characters, same old cut scenes when you assassinate them, same old mission types. If you like pirate games you''ll enjoy this.
  25. Nov 28, 2014
    This game is a good game overall. The biggest addition that makes this game great is the Naval gameplay. In AC3 naval gameplay was very minimal. In AC4 the whole game is based on sailing to different locations around the map. Another thing that makes this game great is the collectibles. Bottles, Mayan Stelle, Animus Fragments, and chests all add extra time to your free roam expereince.This game is a good game overall. The biggest addition that makes this game great is the Naval gameplay. In AC3 naval gameplay was very minimal. In AC4 the whole game is based on sailing to different locations around the map. Another thing that makes this game great is the collectibles. Bottles, Mayan Stelle, Animus Fragments, and chests all add extra time to your free roam expereince. Also the crafting and upgrades for Edward and the Jackdaw {the name of your pirate ship in the game} make it really fun to take down ships and go hunting. I can't say much about the story but so far what i have finished was really great. The combat is a little better with new weapons and the amount of weapons you can carry. You can have up to 4 pistols! This game is not a must buy, but is worth 30 dollars at least with the game and add-on's. Thanks for reading! Expand
  26. Nov 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story outside the animus isn´t as great as the previous games. also i miss desmond miles.
    But the animus game as a edward is very good, but the story is just horable comparing to the other games.
    Hope they finish the story soon... because AC it´s starting to loose its magic
  27. Nov 17, 2014
    I absolutely LOVED this game. From the amazing gameplay to the amazing story, everything about this game made me love the Assassin's Creed franchise even more than I already did. As soon as I started playing, I simply couldn't stop. It was addicting. Edward, in my opinion, is a very lovable protagonist. He begins simply as a man looking to become right in the West Indies, but throughoutI absolutely LOVED this game. From the amazing gameplay to the amazing story, everything about this game made me love the Assassin's Creed franchise even more than I already did. As soon as I started playing, I simply couldn't stop. It was addicting. Edward, in my opinion, is a very lovable protagonist. He begins simply as a man looking to become right in the West Indies, but throughout the game, the more he encounters the Assassin's the more his sense of justice begins to develop. He's well aware of the fact that that he essentially **** over the Assassin Order early on in the game, and is willing to do anything he can to make things right. Edward also experienced many difficult losses throughout the game, and each time was able to rebound from them. Also, this game probably has the best ending of any Assassin's Creed game. Story aside, I really enjoyed the naval combat. I was skeptical at first, but as I progressed further and further and was able to upgrade my ship more and more, I really began to enjoy the naval gameplay. I became so attached to the Jackdaw that often times when I was doing missions on land, I longed to be back on my ship just sailing the West Indies and earning the best prizes I could find. Overall and excellent, excellent game. It just may be the best installment of the series thus far. Expand
  28. Nov 16, 2014
    This is not an Assassin's Creed game. This is an pirate game with AC elements. And it is great at it. The sense of adventure, discovering uncharted places, treasure, ship battles, environments. As an AC game it probably deserves 4/10 tops, but as an action-adventure it's an honest 9/10. One of the few games that I rushed from work to play on my PS3, and the only one game that afterThis is not an Assassin's Creed game. This is an pirate game with AC elements. And it is great at it. The sense of adventure, discovering uncharted places, treasure, ship battles, environments. As an AC game it probably deserves 4/10 tops, but as an action-adventure it's an honest 9/10. One of the few games that I rushed from work to play on my PS3, and the only one game that after finishing it I got a feeling similar to finishing a great book - suddenly the whole world is empty and it takes a long time to find something similar. Forget it's an AC game and you'll love it. Expand
  29. Nov 7, 2014
    I have been a fan since the beginning. Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag has many improvements over AC3 and is largely a great game with a few missteps like repetitive missions and uneven story issues. I think this is honestly the best pirate game ever made it hits the nail on the head for the pirate theme in fact it focuses more on pirates than assassins and gels them both togetherI have been a fan since the beginning. Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag has many improvements over AC3 and is largely a great game with a few missteps like repetitive missions and uneven story issues. I think this is honestly the best pirate game ever made it hits the nail on the head for the pirate theme in fact it focuses more on pirates than assassins and gels them both together convincingly.

Side activities - The things to do outside the story missions are incredible, assassin contracts, sneaking into enemy islands or caves to loot treasure, freeing captured pirates, many things gives you money, loot, territory and crew members. With loot you can built your ship, your character and it allows you to tackle bigger challenges, there is always something that engages you and makes you feel like you’re doing something new. The Templar hunt quests are awesome and do an amazing job of expanding the world in which you live in. You can tackle all side missions in whatever way you want.
    This game has hunting and it is quite fun you can shoot predators down from a distance hidden in bushes or in trees or you can confront them using quick time events to kill them. Using their pelts to upgrade your ship, weapons, tools and character. Another great side activity is the underwater sections where you swim in shipwrecks looking for loot, treasure and ship blueprints. The funnest thing about this is the way you can hide from sharks in reeds and always have to go back to air pockets for an extra breath; you feel very vulnerable which an exciting rush is.

Naval combat - Very fun and satisfying, you could bored other ships for literally hours without getting bored there is just SO MANY different ways to approach other ships. You can attack and conquer other forts which is addictive first using your naval combat from a distance to destroy their canons while attacking/dodging other ships near and far, then jumping straight into the chaos on the fort ground to cut through the enemies utilizing the ground combat then finally assassinating the captain.

Mission structure and gameplay - Okay for allot of the missions they are very open and let you tackle them in whatever way you wish with little handholding, which is very important, however this is one of the real lacking parts of the game the overall repetitiveness of the main missions. WAY too many missions you will find yourself doing the exact same thing over and over again whether it is eavesdropping, tailing someone or something in-between. The parkour and freedom of movement is great but can be tricky and pretty much is the same as in AC3 but tree running ans siling is smooth and works very well. The way you can go from running to sailing in seconds is really special.

Story - The story is very well thought out and lasts about 22 hours or so, as you follow Edward through his personal journey and experience the historic moments of the period is great and participating in them is amazing, something that makes all AC games truly special. All the main characters are convincingly accurate especially Black Beard he is SO WELL DONE. You start to feel attached to the main character especially in the later missions. However it is not without its downsides some missions are not very well explained and you will wonder how you got there and why you are really doing it.

Combat - The combat is fun at first and there are some really cool kill animations but largely it stays the same as AC3 just counter the incoming enemies attacks and they die or just keep tapping attack to kill the weaker guys. But it’s not horrible, a good side is there are different enemy types that require different means to kill them like you will have to counter with a different weapon such as a gun or requiring you to break their defense before striking, this keeps combat away from being too repetitive.

One thing I just have to say is that for us hardcore fans we have noticed that the AC games have gotten less about the assassin way of life and has focused more on the theme. Such as in AC3 where Connor was more of a warrior than an assassin and was not fully dedicated to the order. Similarities can be seen here. The stealth and eavesdropping has not really evolved much, there needs to be more assassinating and stealthy upgrades.

So to round Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag up most side activities are engaging and enjoyable, the naval combat is the best part of the game and is one all in its self, the theme of pirates is done exquisitely, the main missions can get old but they are not terrible, combat is over familiar, decent but nothing special, story is great but can seem random sometimes, music is amazing, parkour and gameplay is still upheld, and last but not least the landscapes are absolutely beautiful and stunning to observe.
  30. Oct 19, 2014
    The year is 1715. Pirates rule the waters of the Caribbean and have established a lawless Republic. Among these outlaws is a lethal young captain named Edward Kenway. His notorious exploits earn the respect of legends like Blackbeard, but draw him into an ancient war that may destroy everything the pirates have built for themselves.
  31. Oct 15, 2014
    Assassins creed 4 black flag is an awesome game with its huge open world with tones of islands and a lively ocean, amazing combat in ships or on land, great visuals and a awesome soundtrack that makes you feel like a badass, the only problem I have with the single player captain edward kenway's story isnt that interesting and i spent most of the game exploring.

Next is the multiplayer

Next is the multiplayer that is the games weakest part, you wold team up with other players to hunt or flee the other team, its god at first but after 2 or 3 play throughs u stop playin it.

Now here's a part in the game where in other reviews i looked at wasn't mentioned and that was kenways fleet where you capture ships you fought and send them to your fleet and do jobs for you across the atlantic ocean by doing delivaries from coast to coast, and the only problem I have with it is that you need to b connected to the internet to youse it.

Thats my review for Black Flag. Does it hold up, absolutly.
  32. Oct 13, 2014
    A bigger improvement since the last two installments, Black Flag has regained the former strength of the originals, even though it seems more like 'Pirate's Code' than 'Assassin's Creed'.
    7/10 - Ben Hazelden
  33. Oct 5, 2014
    I love Assassin's Creed but Black Flag was a let down to me. I know the game is set in the Golden Age of Piracy but the thing that bothers me the most is the game revolves too much around naval warfare and naval travel. The story feels neglected to me, the game is not as strong as it could have been. In this game you spend a lot of time trying to earn money to upgrade your ship so you canI love Assassin's Creed but Black Flag was a let down to me. I know the game is set in the Golden Age of Piracy but the thing that bothers me the most is the game revolves too much around naval warfare and naval travel. The story feels neglected to me, the game is not as strong as it could have been. In this game you spend a lot of time trying to earn money to upgrade your ship so you can progress through the game and these upgrades are very expensive and takes a long time to afford. The naval warfare gets boring really fast because it's so simple. Many people are probably going to disagree with me for writing this but to me Edward Kenway is not really an assassin. At least not compared to Altair, Ezio and Connor. I know he is a pirate but he is a sad drunk who only cares about rich and fame. Edward did not earn the assassin title, clothes or the weapons. He just took it and it didn't really mean ANYTHING to him. I remember playing as Altair where you had to regain your rank through assignments, or as Ezio and Connor where they took on massive responsibilities to avenge their family and get justice. Expand
  34. Aug 13, 2014
    This is a good game but I don't like the grinding aspect of it. Not something I expect from an assassin's creed title. I have played all the other games (that are available on console), and I have found them improving the games with each installment, but this was too different for me. If I had looked at more reviews I would have had fair warning about how much time is actually spent onThis is a good game but I don't like the grinding aspect of it. Not something I expect from an assassin's creed title. I have played all the other games (that are available on console), and I have found them improving the games with each installment, but this was too different for me. If I had looked at more reviews I would have had fair warning about how much time is actually spent on ships rather than on land. It doesn't feel like a real assassin game, more about ship battles and full combat battles, lot less stealth and lot less about assassin's, more about pirates, treasure and ships. The much complained about AC 3 was much better. Expand
  35. Jul 15, 2014
    I own all the AC games thus far. Big fan, can you tell? My rating echoes others I have read - (1) story-line outside the animus stinks and (2) the repetitive mini-movies or sayings is annoying. I have managed to overlook these shortcomings and played through the game some 5 times now. Looking forward to "Unity".
  36. Jul 3, 2014
    As i have played only revelations and the third one little bit. The Black Flag surprised me quickly it's interesting story. The graphics fit in well and gameplay is my favorite and fantastic. And also the sailing on the sea, it just perfect game. I would also say that it's the second best game of 2013 after GTA V :). Great game and must to have in ur collection. Deserves 9/10
  37. Jun 24, 2014
    I loved Assassin's Creed. I adored Assassin's Creed II. I had the same feeling for Brotherhood and Revelations: remarkable. And for a few months, III was my favourite game of all time. It just felt like the perfect evolution of the series and was a remarkable game that certainly delivered upon its hype. But now we reach Black Flag- a numbered entry that has released a year after the last.I loved Assassin's Creed. I adored Assassin's Creed II. I had the same feeling for Brotherhood and Revelations: remarkable. And for a few months, III was my favourite game of all time. It just felt like the perfect evolution of the series and was a remarkable game that certainly delivered upon its hype. But now we reach Black Flag- a numbered entry that has released a year after the last. But don't think for a second that it is a shameless cash grab. This is the best in the series by far and is my third favourite game in the series. It also helps that it is the first next-gen effort and is therefore massive in size and scope.

The gameplay is key in this entry, mainly because it is nothing like the other games. On land familiarity soon sets in, with similar parkour mechanics and combat that isn't that different. Crafting is very reminiscent of Ubisoft's other open world smash, Far Cry 3, with the simple mechanics being a relief after III's complicated systems (well for some anyway). The economy is a little more barebones and there are no brotherhood mechanics. For the first two hours this seems like a slimmed back entry and not even better stealth can really help it. But just as you think you have been "Revelationsed", BOOM! It happens. The opening of the game comes back into play and you get set off onto the open seas with your own ship (The Jackdaw really is the second main character) and your cool uniform. This light years ahead of the third game's starting, seeing as how you don't have to go through 6 hours of tutorial. The ship is full of options, with customisation being key. You can unlock new statues and sails for it and also buy new weapons like mortars and various cannons. You can upgrade your carrying capacity and your durability- the theme of piracy is high, as money really is key to your successes. I don't know if it's just me or are we gamers getting money hungry, after th heists of GTA V and the appearance of money in MW3's multiplayer? Back on track now. The amount of control you have over your ship is amazing and the impacts on the gameplay are profound. I can definitely see AC continuing along this path in future spinoffs and entries.

To go with your ship is a massive open world. There are over 50 main locations, with 3 main, large cities and hundreds of islands that are littered with treasures, collectibles and various other goodies. I don't know the exact stats, but is this bigger than GTA V's open world or are they about equal? Because it is friggin' large. The graphics are absolutely beautiful. As usual the characters and animation work is top of the line, but they are outshined by the open world. The colours are vibrant and uplifting and this is some of the most realistic water in gaming. There is hours upon hours of content here, with assassination contracts making a welcome return, along with plenty of naval missions and- wait for it- fortresses! They replace bases and are ridiculously good fun to take on. They have their own level just like ships and net you great bonuses. First you take out their defenses, then you dock and then you kill some captains, before brutally murdering the owner of the base (a gunshot to the head always works well). There are also Legendary ships, which are basically the best of the best. They are good fun to take on and embrace variation with each type.

I haven't talked about the story yet, but that's because it is the weakest part. Well, not so much the story, just the missions. You see it is a well written, entertaining escapade, with great characters, a cool hero and some well conceived themes, along with accurate re-enactments of historical events. The missions are just so repetitive. The final acts are enjoyable, with good set pieces and fun assassination missions (Stealth is way better as I mentioned before), but there are just way too many tail and eavesdrop missions. They get repetitive and let the game down, but only slightly. I did like the present day sequences though, which are first person, highly immersive and rarely interrupt your gameplay, with most of the content being optional. The multiplayer is also strong, with ship battles not appearing but custom game modes being fun. I spent hours with the MP and actually loved it.

AC IV isn't perfect, but it is the best in the series and for that I love it. With hours of great content, some spectacular gameplay and a good protagonist, this is one must buy game, no matter which gen of consoles you own!
  38. Jun 14, 2014
    the game is awesome!! i thought its graphic will be bad like all the new games which are coming for ps3 and xbox 360 but the game on ps3 is really awesome the story is a little bore like all the time tall this guy tall this ship that is only bad on the game the free roam the new parkour skills the upgrades and you can order your crew your ships to collect money for you i have all the acthe game is awesome!! i thought its graphic will be bad like all the new games which are coming for ps3 and xbox 360 but the game on ps3 is really awesome the story is a little bore like all the time tall this guy tall this ship that is only bad on the game the free roam the new parkour skills the upgrades and you can order your crew your ships to collect money for you i have all the ac but this is the best AND SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH Expand
  39. May 24, 2014
    Summary Review
    Just a disclaimer, I have only played Assassin Creed 1; so I can’t comment on the rest of the series. Likewise I cannot comment on the online gameplay cause my internet is bad.
    +Good visuals +Very good combat system with a good variety of weapons and upgrades, and good stealth mechanics +Excellent sea battle mechanics which is a tonne of fun and is refreshing +Great
    Summary Review

+Good visuals
    +Excellent sea battle mechanics which is a tonne of fun and is refreshing
    +Great side-activities which I often found to be more fun than the main missions.
    ? I found the story to be very confusing despite its strengths
    -I hated the use of Abstergo Entertainment, which killed the level of emotion that the game can believer.

In brief it is a must buy

Full Review
    While Assassin Creed Blackflag, takes a while to get into the first thing that you will notice is that the visuals are great, with good frame rates and textures, and help increase the level of emotion that the game believers. Likewise I found very few bugs within the game. However what matters to me is the gameplay.
    With regards to the gameplay, it is great. The combat is very easy to master, while at the same time has enough variety to reduce the repetitiveness of the combat. This can be seen with the variety of weapons, in particularly the use of combining swords and pistols, which encourages you to mix up combat, because pistols take a while to reload and are actually not that powerful until you unlock new ones. Likewise the introduction of new weapons, like the darts (which you unlock roughly half way through the game), in particular the berserk dart which makes sneaking so much more entertaining, as it seems enemies to attack each other. Such variety of weapons in combination with Assassin Creed’s solid sneaking system, and the variety of enemies from brutes to grunts, help make combat very entertaining. However one of the common complaints I have found about Assassin Creed, that the combat is too easy, I found is still present especially when you unlock upgrades.
    However Assassin Creed Blackflag, makes up for the how easy its combat is, with the ship mechanics. This feels fresh and exciting, and is something that I have always wanted in a game. The naval combat was fantastic, especially with how the unlocking of improvements for you ship which mean that you really feel a sense of progression, while at the same time not finding the enemies to be too easy, especially when you fight multiple ships at the same time. I especially like the fact that your ship takes damage and that will affect how well it performs in combat, but don’t worry because you can use boarded ships to repair your own, making naval combat more accessible, as you don’t have to keep going back to land to repair your ship. The only major annoyance of the naval combat is how the boarding of ships can get repetitive because you need resources to unlock improvements, and boarding ships and taking their crew is the quickest way to get such resources.
    The finally major thing I have to say about Assassin’s Creed is the side activities which are for the most part a lot of fun. In particular though a bit repetitive I found the diving sections which are needed to unlock the best upgrades for your ship, the assassin contracts both on and off land (what kind of assassin game would not have such contracts) where you get rewarded for killing your target for killing him without being detected, the naval contracts which are surprisingly challenging especially when you have to protect other ships, whaling which was surprisingly engaging and the robbing of safe house which require the use of skill, and are challenging. Such side activities are awesome for the most part, though a lot of the collectables are pretty pointless, beyond the Mayan stones these keys, and some shanty sheets that allow your crew to learn another sea shanty to sing on your behalf. But the other collectables are rather pointless. Likewise the hunting is undeveloped I find because for the most part it is way too easy, it is certainly not as good as Far Cry 3’s hunting mechanic.
    The first thing I have about Assassin Creed 4 is that I found the story to be a bit confusing at times, but that is probably because I did not pay that much attention. I will not spoil anything but I found the going back between the Matrix like thing, and being a badass pirate (Edward, who is an awesome character btw) and how such events were interlinked to be poorly explained. That said though the introduction of excellent character like Blackbeard and William Kidd; help make the story not so much a snooze fest.
    The final complaint I have is the having this Matrix like system within the game, which put me off Assassin Creed series on the whole, because I hate the idea of at key moments within the story, being pulled out of the historical setting and into a different game which is not a good. This effect is present within Assassin Creed Blackflag, and I wish Ubisoft for Assassin Creed 5 remove this Matrix like thing entirely.
  40. May 20, 2014
    This game is so flawless in so many ways. The main one being the core controls and, simply, the way it feels when you walk and move the camera around. This is the smoothest third-person game out there. The controls for the game are and have always been artful, in that, if you use them incorrectly, the game will look and feel clunky. But if you use them correctly, the game will look andThis game is so flawless in so many ways. The main one being the core controls and, simply, the way it feels when you walk and move the camera around. This is the smoothest third-person game out there. The controls for the game are and have always been artful, in that, if you use them incorrectly, the game will look and feel clunky. But if you use them correctly, the game will look and feel absolutely magical. Everything about this game feels amazing: Walking, running, climbing, jumping, blending, hiding, sword fighting, fist fighting, hidden-blade stabbing, knife throwing, rope-darting, assassinating, sailing, swimming, diving, hunting, treasure hunting, whale/shark hunting, cannon firing, fort storming, exploring, chasing, fleeing, drinking, blow-piping, pistol shooting, parkouring, plundering, pillaging, pirating... In my book, this is THE game. The best and most ultimate game there is to date. The only thing I don't like about this game is that it is so awesome that it puts other, decent games to shame and makes them looks worse than they really are. But, I guess everyone is spoiled by their own seflish and specific expectations.

p.s. The multiplayer is the most innovative, deeply engaging, online gameplay that I've ever experienced.
  41. May 19, 2014
    best game in the series since brotherhood few problems with it though number one edward kenway seems a bit stupid at times as to what is going on and two some of the on land missions are boring other than that fantastic game can't wait for unity
  42. May 13, 2014
    As I said in my AC3 review, I would eventually come to my senses to make a review on AC4. While I am unfortunate not to catch the series right from the start, I will say that any game that requires the player to play the previous games to grasp the story might as well just give up trying to do so. What does that say for AC4? Well, surprisingly enough in the span of sequelitis, AC4As I said in my AC3 review, I would eventually come to my senses to make a review on AC4. While I am unfortunate not to catch the series right from the start, I will say that any game that requires the player to play the previous games to grasp the story might as well just give up trying to do so. What does that say for AC4? Well, surprisingly enough in the span of sequelitis, AC4 actually fares much better than AC3, not only in gameplay aspects or HUD gimmicks but also trying to get more newcomers invested in the story of before, as being out of the animus I got a more thematic glimpse of the late Desmond Miles (although he won't be missed) in a way that made me feel more compelled to play the previous games. Now, pushing that aside apart from the awkward First-Person animation and the 'silent protagonist gutting' they decided to do apart from the usual 3rd person perspective, the true fun and experience is inside the animus itself.

The pirate life shines fully in this so to say 'simulation', as you get to feel the aesthetic, the glory, the triumph, and even the failures of the golden age of piracy. You get to meet many of the infamous pirates such as Edward Teach, Calico Jack, Black Bart, and a load more whom have such invigorating personality that they have you hugged into the pirate life. The naval exploration has vastly improved from it's predecessor, and while the previous alone was great, they made that aspect even greater. Sea Shanties, sunken ships, intense naval battles and boarding ships, and even fighting mother nature itself all prove to satisfy the excitement and luster of that romanticized pirate age. Not only that, but ship customization has been expanded greatly, now much more visual and more indepth, with what I have to say is some of the finer qualities of water physics out there apart from others. Unfortunately, all this pirate theming has greatly taken away the aspect of the Templars and the Assassin's, in a way sort of taking a backseat to all the pirate booty and treasure. Besides that, visuals have greatly improved, even the parkor tree climbing is now much more dynamic than it's predecessor with few repeat ferns. The HUD is also a lot less confusing, and while I have to complain why they always have to change the HUD every bloody time they make a game, I still find this one a lot less teeth-grinding than in AC3. Gameplay, well hasn't really changed all that much, although now bushes can be more greatly used to keep yourself hidden. The few new weapons that you can use are the sleep darts and berserk darts, which help since now enemies have individual stealth indicators ala Far Cry 3, which also makes the game less of a chore. Also, crafting in the game is also a lot less confusing from it's predecessor as well, taking inspiration from Far Cry 3 (as a matter of fact, a lotof different aspects from here take what worked well in FC3). But most importantly of all improvements is the story and characters, with Edward Kenway being a much more capable and charismatic figure rather than the lifeless Connor (or his native american name, which I won't even try to spell). The characters around him also spur a variety of colors, rather than blending into one another per scene. You even get to see a relatively accurate portrayal of the exploits of those aforementioned pirate captains, such as Teach's bombardment of camps for medicine, or Mary Read's crossdressing (that was the most disturbing part of this game for me), and they all do it with enough spirit that I could tell that the actors were having a lot of fun voicing these characters, ESPECIALLY Blackbeard, who is the best out of all of them. The story also improves the idea of the First Civilization and of what happened after Desmond's ultimate fate, as I said before making me more interested in the AC Lore than I was before. I will end this review with saying that typically, sequels only get worse from their original or predecessor and only few times do they get better, but I have to say that Assassin's Creed Four actually manages to do the impossible and be better than AC3 and possibly as good as AC2 (I wouldn't know, since I haven't played it) While I can't give it a perfect rating, since there is still some gameplay exploits not fixed in AC3 and still quite a few stealth syntax errors, AC4 puts the AC franchise back in with the big guns.
  43. Apr 29, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag was a rather mixed bag for me. On the upside...it was fun as hell! I don't think I've ever had more fun in an Assassin's Creed game! The exploration, ship plundering and the minigames, Abstergo hacking, etc. All of that felt splendid!
    On the downside...I felt the story was incredibly weak for an Assassin's Creed game. Especially the present-day Abstergo story, or lack thereof. It's practically cut off from the rest of the series. Also, the controls were very unresponsive or inaccurate to which the direction I turned a lot of the time. This included me jumping to my death when I meant to perform a leap of faith. Among the other complaints include several bugs, one of them which was a game-breaker that required me to restart a checkpoint. Did I already mention a disconnected storyline?
    With all things considered, this is a decent game, but I wouldn't consider it a good Assassin's Creed game. I think the Ezio ones are still better. If you've played all the previous entries or are looking for more closure after the disappointing ending that Assassin's Creed III delivered, I'd pass. However, if you're a newcomer to the series, now would probably be the perfect time to start.

7/10 - Decent
  44. Apr 21, 2014
    One of my favorite Assassin's Creed game. Lots of content, ship battles are great, really makes you feel like a bad@ss Assassin/Pirate. Best graphics so far.
  45. Apr 15, 2014
    Fantastic game but you only get about 70% of what you pay for because the multiplayer is habitually broken. I don't mean "broken" as in "unbalanced," but rather a more literal sense—much of the time it just doesn't work.

Specifically, it's plagued by constant disconnections from both the host and the server and despite spending an inordinate amount of time on the forums seeking aid there has been little or no progress. When you do manage to play a match there's a whole other level of malfunction in the matchmaking and contract assignments—it's not uncommon to play team games at a 4 vs 1 balance and/or be asked to "find" and kill a player who is standing directly in front of you. If you have liked AC multiplayers and/or you end up liking the AC4 multiplayer you will be repeatedly let down.
  46. Apr 12, 2014
    Simply magnficent, i really hate the AC3 Battles of ship, it was going to push me far from the serie, but when they make AC4 everything that was horrible on the AC3 was corrected, the battles in the ships are really enjoyable, but like all AC i vote tha the worst is the online, i don't think this game needs multiplayer it's reaaly not funny at all!
  47. Apr 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Definitely my favorite in the series so far, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag takes my favorite part of Assassin's Creed III, the naval missions, and builds an entire game around it. While I don't feel like an Assassin when I ram into a British Blockade with a Fire Boat, I feel like I'm a real pirate sailing the open seas, I feel like I can be what I really want to be. This game really promoted the open world experience that I felt other Assassin's Creed games lacked, with a massive world to explore and a bunch of different of things to do, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag should be treated as one of the best in the Series. (And less being pulled out of game for stupid story, yay) Expand
  48. Mar 31, 2014
    Okey ,now for real.Stop milking the cow ubisoft.Make a pirate game if you want,just dont call it AC,AC ended with ezio for me(he had spirit and was very interesting,if we don't count Desmond ofc).I would give this game 8(but AC tittle-meh).It's not AC, it's sailing,sailing,sailing from AC.
  49. Mar 29, 2014
    Awesome game. What Black Flag possibly lacks in the intriguing story some were looking for is fully made up for by the best Assassin's Creed gameplay to date, where piracy and previous Assassin's Creeds nostalgia are integrated flawlessly. I've never played a pirate game before but the way AC4's naval combat and events (harpooning/royal convoys) drew me in from the start, as well asAwesome game. What Black Flag possibly lacks in the intriguing story some were looking for is fully made up for by the best Assassin's Creed gameplay to date, where piracy and previous Assassin's Creeds nostalgia are integrated flawlessly. I've never played a pirate game before but the way AC4's naval combat and events (harpooning/royal convoys) drew me in from the start, as well as Kenway's Fleet, ensured that I couldn't stop playing until I fully upgraded the Jackdaw and destroyed all the legendaries. 9/10 only because of the slightly lacklustre story. With so much to do and such value for money, I would recommend to long-term AC fan and newcomer alike. Expand
  50. Mar 27, 2014
    Better the the third game, great story, characteres and also has a better unique gameplay and combat system, definitely worth playing if you're a fan of this saga.
  51. Mar 20, 2014
    The non-campaign content redeems this action title that otherwise wouldn't have stood out from the crowd. If you stick around and beat the forts and the legendary ships, and seek out ship upgrades, you'll see plenty of novel gameplay. But the campaign itself has few, if any, missions that amazed me. The transportation by ship or by foot can feel slow if not to fast-travel locations. I wasThe non-campaign content redeems this action title that otherwise wouldn't have stood out from the crowd. If you stick around and beat the forts and the legendary ships, and seek out ship upgrades, you'll see plenty of novel gameplay. But the campaign itself has few, if any, missions that amazed me. The transportation by ship or by foot can feel slow if not to fast-travel locations. I was frustrated dozens of times by the controls (when climbing, your character is 'glued' to his position, so the input will sometimes not be clear enough for him to move in the right direction from the 'glued' position). The 3rd person gameplay has been seen elsewhere before, and I saw no need for the the violence (cutting through people with swords like it was nothing, while the character seems to have conscience outside of combat). Aside from the action and the transportation, for which I give it 5/10, the setting has not been used much in games, much less in AAA 3d games, and it is modelled with lively detail and extreme variety. I could not have expected it to deliver so much graphical content, and compared to GTA V, this game had a lot more "Wow, there's THIS" moments. I could give it an 8/10 but then I remember the many similar missions and the repeating ship fights. Recommended if you're intrigued by the setting and you can see past the fights. Expand
  52. Mar 11, 2014
    I feel very happy about ac4 because it is a really good game. I have played every AC even Liberation on Vita, and honestly AC4 is one of the best if not the best AC game ( This or ac2 fighting for nr 1). After ac3 which was a huge dissapointment AC4 brings back what was so great about that game which was naval combat.
    The naval combat feels a lot better and is the best thing that could
    The naval combat feels a lot better and is the best thing that could happen to the series. The only thing I feel the naval combat needed was more customization for ur ship, sure you can updrage your ship but what about diffrent ships. Like a heavy ship thats slow, or a fast speed sheep, Would be great if you had options like that and hopefully we will either get a fully pirate game from ubisioft or another ac that uses the naval combat.
    The rest of the game besides the naval combat is like every other AC game. Sure the game has new settings but the gameplay feels a lot like the previous games. The story of Edward is good and enjoyable but the Assassins vs templars story starting to get irrating with no end.
    Another thing i want to praise are the sea shanties , a lot of fun and I enjoy hearing them during my playtrough.

After all this game is really good and every Ac fan should try it. The setting and the naval combat a lone makes it worth the while. I will give this game a 9/10 and hopefully we will a open world pirate game from ubisoft or another ac game likes this with a lot more customization!
  53. Mar 6, 2014
    Assassins Creed is, since the first, a game that takes itself too seriously. It's boring, the missions are all about a boring story that was never any good, bu they seem to think that it's Pulitzer worthy . Instead of making a fun to play game, they made another follow-that-guy-around game. Even the gameplay aspect is getting weaker, since he jump automatically, sword fights are a QTE withAssassins Creed is, since the first, a game that takes itself too seriously. It's boring, the missions are all about a boring story that was never any good, bu they seem to think that it's Pulitzer worthy . Instead of making a fun to play game, they made another follow-that-guy-around game. Even the gameplay aspect is getting weaker, since he jump automatically, sword fights are a QTE with 2 buttons. The whole game feels extremely lazy. But I guess we play AC because of its potential. It has some much potential, but with this new iteration, I guess it's pretty clear that the game is much more focused on some half baked scifi story than to amuse it's players. In the whole game, that was not one mission that was genuinely fun to play. Expand
  54. Feb 26, 2014
    Great game, i advise everyone who hasnt tried it to go ahead and get themselves a copy. Its an experience you cannot miss out on. Ubisoft really stepped up their game this year, with beautiful scenery and a mix between both playing on water or inland.
  55. Feb 15, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Review.
    Pros/ Good Points:
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Review.
    Pros/ Good Points:
    + A beautiful, detailed yet enourmous open world to explore. Ship controls and mechanics much more simplified for a better experience. Emotional moments in the story (all I can say without spoiling). It isn't as bugged/glitched as Assassin's Creed III. The sense of verticality everywhere you go, from jungles, to cities and islands. The game doesn't restrict you from exploring the world, you can explore it from the get-go. Full of enjoyable side content. Dumber AI that motivate the use of stealth. 100% completition of missions is simplified and the side-objectives aren't as specific as to how to engage the mission. Enjoyable underwater segments. Things to spend your money in, unlike it's predecessors. Strong characters and character development. Impressive graphics. Soundtrack hasn't dropped quality since the first game, this is not the exception. Simple and smooth menus that makes navigating through really easy. There's ambient/background music while you're just playing around, which is a nice little touch.
    Cons/ Bad Points:
    -Way too long and weak story, both in the present day and golden age of piracy, that doesn't add much to the AC universe. Multiplayer needs reinvention and quickly, gamelab wasn't enough. Only the two swords and fists as the game mele weapons. It's difficult to control the character, mainly in the JackDaw and when you're trying to board, considering the tight spaces and that the character usually goes where he wants to go, and not where I want him to. Boarding turns really quickly into something repetitive and boring. The game cannot be completed at a 100% without using Kenway's Fleet (for which you need to be online) and it's really not a very nice change. Though it doesn't have as much bugs/glitches as ACIII, it still have some few game-breaking problems. Aveline missions don't stand on it's own and don't even add anything more to what has been already seen in Liberation. It's a silly thing but, you can't run while using your eagle vission, it's really annoying. Frame rate drops many times when you are running through rooftops in big cities.
    Final thoughts and score:
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag tries to innovate as much as it can, but the game never managed to stood out from ACII and Brotherhood. Still, it is somewhat refreshing and it is by far the best AC game since Brotherhood.
    Average Score: 8.6/10
    For more Assasssin's Creed Reviews go to:
  56. Feb 14, 2014
    Awful awful awful game. Wolfpack Discovery mode M4: No Time For Rest is impossible, 100% sync is impossible, and too much sailing. By far, the worst game in the series
  57. Feb 13, 2014
    Assassins creed 4 Black Flag is a ton of fun. This is the best game i have ever played in 2013. And if this is not the best then it is one of the best assassins creed games that have been made. It has never been more fun looking for treasure. It makes you feel like you are a part of the crew. In Assassins creed Black flag they have combined the gameplay from assassins creed, with theAssassins creed 4 Black Flag is a ton of fun. This is the best game i have ever played in 2013. And if this is not the best then it is one of the best assassins creed games that have been made. It has never been more fun looking for treasure. It makes you feel like you are a part of the crew. In Assassins creed Black flag they have combined the gameplay from assassins creed, with the hunting system from Far Cry. and instead of just have 2 pistol like in Assassins creed 3, you can now have 4 PISTOLS. You have to upgrade Edward, BUT you also have to take care of Jackdaw your ship. Because if you never upgrade it you will never be able to defeat a man'o war.

Overall: Assassins creed 4 Black Flag is one of the best games Ubisoft has ever made
  58. Feb 2, 2014
    This was easily my favorite AC game so far. It incorporated everything that was good about AC2 and added pirates! One of my favorite games from last year was Far Cry 3, and the open world and crafting of AC4 felt a lot like that game. I absolutely hated AC3 aside form the naval combat, but there wasn't enough of it. AC4 allows you to roam freely, hunt, harpoon, etc. There are plenty ofThis was easily my favorite AC game so far. It incorporated everything that was good about AC2 and added pirates! One of my favorite games from last year was Far Cry 3, and the open world and crafting of AC4 felt a lot like that game. I absolutely hated AC3 aside form the naval combat, but there wasn't enough of it. AC4 allows you to roam freely, hunt, harpoon, etc. There are plenty of side missions to keep you busy as well.

This is definitely worth your time. Ubisoft is quickly becoming one of my favorite publishers.

Note: Don't ignore the Community Challenges while you are playing the game if you want to get 100% synced.
  59. Jan 27, 2014
    Assassins creed 4 gets the best the others assassins, the game is very funny, you explore every corner looking all your secrets. Edward kenway is a character with personality (not as connor, assassins 3), but Edward don´t is a assassins only he moves by the money. The gameplay is really fun, climb building never have been so fun, the battles improves respect assassins 3, but far from theAssassins creed 4 gets the best the others assassins, the game is very funny, you explore every corner looking all your secrets. Edward kenway is a character with personality (not as connor, assassins 3), but Edward don´t is a assassins only he moves by the money. The gameplay is really fun, climb building never have been so fun, the battles improves respect assassins 3, but far from the leaders of the genre. The ship battles are something else, very funny but is just doing repetitive. The game has a lot of side quests (follow a guy, kill guy...).

The main story doesn´t explain anything, if a good game but is a pirates game, not a assassins game.
  60. Jan 26, 2014
    AC2 was a great game , but this one named Black flag a pirate story , so expected a great sea experience a views u know sun water birds Land over there... but lol when i played the i was shocked by the quality of the waves and how the Main character Swim its a joke UBI right ?! , a pirate game with a bad water effect and quality , and the character movement are flow at all , so i say andAC2 was a great game , but this one named Black flag a pirate story , so expected a great sea experience a views u know sun water birds Land over there... but lol when i played the i was shocked by the quality of the waves and how the Main character Swim its a joke UBI right ?! , a pirate game with a bad water effect and quality , and the character movement are flow at all , so i say and ill always say AC2 was and will be the best game ever produced in Ac series . Expand
  61. Jan 25, 2014
    Unbelievable for the high reviews. Don't you find this game has very little content, but self copy again and again like bacteria so as to create an epic elusion?

That's true there are many mini games sprinkled on map...randomly..., but every time you play it, it just repeats the same animation. More annoying is that you have to waste time very long to finish one. Naval battle is in

Naval battle is in fact very boring, what all you do is just playing circling game with rival ship to find a good angle to shoot, again and again. If you want to board, you have to waste another 10 mins, during which you just encounter same enemy, same animation, same music and same boarding missions, utterly boring and annoying. But in return, you only gain double loot. The loot is just a form of EXP for your ship, nothing special. So I prefer directly wrecking the rival ship, then gaining even half loot spending just 5 seconds.

The environment is really visually-tiring, just same coastlines with randomly planted trees.
    The city is very flat, constructed with several pattern of normal buildings randomly composed, Nor historical landmarks or classical/elegant internal architecture at all!!!(Recall what was in AC II is so memorable). The designer boasts the environment is epic... Don't fool us, designing this random and repetitive will cost you very little efforts, you know, lazy. We want diverse and elegant content. I have to say, in AC II, climbing to the peak of buildings to overlook the city is my favorite. However in AC IV, I never do this again because of the so lack-of-characteristic scene.

What about main story? I have forgotten most of it. What is left is just some repetitive trailing and killing missions. In addition, a strong anxiety/confusion is why the hell does he wear like an assassin?
    The confusion makes me very lack of motivation to continue the game because, in instinct, a strong feeling is that he has no soul of assassin which however is forced to be titled on him by dev so as to be coherent with the franchise.

After a 4-hour playing, I felt this game is very shabby and hollow, full of random and repetitive mechanism, lack of soul of assassin, with little and tricky effort from dev who seems to have found a lazy way to create an addictive game.
    IMO, it is reasonable for a game to have a certain amount of random and repetitive mechanism to extend gaming time and save cost for dev, but in AC IV , this conduct is too obvious, excessive and aggressive. In other words, the dev are taking customers as fool. This is unacceptable.

I tried this because of good impression from AC II. Ok, now, I know this franchise has faded. Good bye.
  62. Jan 22, 2014
    Another winner in the ASSASSIN'S CREED series. A sprawling, open world experience that is as fascinating as it is fun. The graphics, sound, and acting are, perfect and the missions are well designed and interesting. The naval combat has been vastly expanded and is so amazing, it would be easy to simply discard following the story and just pillage on the high seas all day. The game'sAnother winner in the ASSASSIN'S CREED series. A sprawling, open world experience that is as fascinating as it is fun. The graphics, sound, and acting are, perfect and the missions are well designed and interesting. The naval combat has been vastly expanded and is so amazing, it would be easy to simply discard following the story and just pillage on the high seas all day. The game's balance is fantastic, too - never letting the various treasure hunts and side missions muddy the flow.

The only real problems the game has are in the main storyline. Pirates are simply not as interesting historical figures as those we find in Renaissance Italy or Colonial America. The Templar/Assassin conflict is treated as almost an afterthought and the game does not further the mythology of the AC universe very much. Also, Edward Kenway didn't really do it for me as a main character. His eventual conversion and redemption with the Assassins feels perfunctory and happens far to late in the game to really believe it. I find myself far more interested and engaged in the Black Flag characters when I play as Adawale.

If you like ASSASSIN'S CREED, you will love this game. It is one that will keep you happy for a good long time.
  63. Jan 19, 2014
    The BEST AC since the 2nd. Such a great story, so many collectibles, so much to do, maybe the best AC ever, and one of the best Action/Adventure games of 2013.
  64. Jan 12, 2014
    AC4 is a lot of fun. The game's large map demands exploration and the naval element of the game is refreshing and interesting. The story is acceptable but did not come to the same heights as AC3's emotional and powerful story. The caribbean setting is open and full of life. The cities of Kingston, Havana, and Nassau are each very different and fun to explore. The core stealth and combatAC4 is a lot of fun. The game's large map demands exploration and the naval element of the game is refreshing and interesting. The story is acceptable but did not come to the same heights as AC3's emotional and powerful story. The caribbean setting is open and full of life. The cities of Kingston, Havana, and Nassau are each very different and fun to explore. The core stealth and combat mechanics remain basically untouched from AC3 which is both a plus and a minus. It was nice to be able to pick up AC4 and play it without anything new to learn. However, it would have been nice to introduce a deeper combo system. The weapons in AC4 are also pretty limitting being restricted to carrying two swords and only being able to temporarily pick up other weapons. After AC3's large catalogue of swords, tomahawks, daggers, and heavy weapons, AC4 seems like a step down in terms of weapon choice. However, the expansive setting full of rich side quests and missions including hunts for treasure, underwater shipwrecks, island and cave explorations, and plenty of assassination missions make up for any let downs in story or weapon choice. Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag is an excellent game. Expand
  65. Jan 10, 2014
    I'm not a fan of the Assassin's Creed franchise. This game is like they took everything that was wrong with the previous games, threw them in the trash and then disintegrated them. There are way more types of missions, collectibles, secrets and tons of new tricks. Edward Kenway is the first of the series that doesn't decide to chase nearby flies or examine cracks in walls as he's runningI'm not a fan of the Assassin's Creed franchise. This game is like they took everything that was wrong with the previous games, threw them in the trash and then disintegrated them. There are way more types of missions, collectibles, secrets and tons of new tricks. Edward Kenway is the first of the series that doesn't decide to chase nearby flies or examine cracks in walls as he's running around.The combat is still easy, but not as easy as previous games and has an actual feeling like you could be defeated rather than a feeling that you are going to use your massive instakill-explosion at every encounter. It IS still easy though, don't be fooled. The acrobatics you can perform are much easier to use and don't disobey everything you say.
    Also, pirates.
  66. Jan 9, 2014
    First off this shouldnt have been called assassins creed 4 because it does not feel like a sequal to ac 3. It does not move the plot along what so ever seriously. I see it as some people like the ships in 3 they were going to make a new ac the next year anyway so they figured wtf they like ships lets give em ships. This is a pirate game with ac gameplay. Asside from that the story is notFirst off this shouldnt have been called assassins creed 4 because it does not feel like a sequal to ac 3. It does not move the plot along what so ever seriously. I see it as some people like the ships in 3 they were going to make a new ac the next year anyway so they figured wtf they like ships lets give em ships. This is a pirate game with ac gameplay. Asside from that the story is not very good tbh, its about connors grandfather . He is a man aspiring to be a very weathly pirate. Thats all he wants is money and fame and hell do whatever it takes to acheive that. He helps both the templars and assassins in this game for his own personal wants. He is not an aassassin, he is a pirate. A **** pirate. Really it all comes down to if you like pirates. If you do then get this game. If you wanted a true sequal to ac 3 in terms of story you **** out of luck they dont adress the the **** that happened at the end of 3 at all. Im bein dead serious. They turned the modern day segments into bull**** people complained before about the desmond segments sucking. HAHA at least they had a purpose the modern day segments in this game have no purpose what so ever. You are an employee at absturgo entertainment goin into the animus to collect research to create a game about pirates. I mean the real issues with the game are its plot. The good gameplay is all still here but that doesnt mean much when you dont give a **** about what your doing or why. Also i didnt like the ships in 3 so playin this game is a chore at times, becuase once you get into the game where it really opens up the ships take center stage you will be sailing for most of the time in this game and to some thats not a bad thing, but i bought this cuz i like assassins creed not **** pirates. There are some minor improvments like there are actually things worth buying in this game. You get different weapons sort of there really jus new sword skins cuz they all do the same **** Im dissapointed in this game and if your getting this game hoping for a sequal to 3 im sorry but dont get this at full price. Its not a sequel to 3 at all its more of an offshoot like brotherhood but hell tht game was like a full on sequel it moved the plot along as well as the gameplay this game does neither youve done all of this before and probabbly had more fun doing it then cuz u jus dont care about the story in this game so what is the motivation to play it. The tedious side quests? The mediocore story ? The combat you have seen many times before in better installments? Point is if your an ac fan dont pay sixty bucks. If you just want a pirate game, go ahead your probablly not gonna regret your purchase. Expand
  67. Jan 9, 2014
    My hopes were Assassin's Creed 4 would be much better than the underwelming, Assssin's Creed 3 (mainly due to the ending).

The story isn't the best in the franchise but it is well done, For future Assassins Creed games keep The Optional Objectives out of the game, it makes missions more linear if you want that 100%. Naval combat has made a return and better than ever. My favourite

Naval combat has made a return and better than ever.

My favourite parts of the game were the side missions from Assassin Contracts to simply a game of checkers.

The Open World is great you can explore the vast sea and access Havana,Nassau and Kingston along with small villages you even get you're own village, you can customize so it has Shops,Taverns etc.

Despite Assassin's Creed II being the top of the franchise this is my 2nd Favourite Assassin's Creed game

68. Jan 5, 2014
    i had hopes fore ac4 but this is not what i expectid wow.
    finally a great pirate game a great charecthers and good music.
    a realy great story and ship gameplay just taking down ships is amezing.
    the only thing is they need a new combat then this game wil be even better.
  69. Jan 2, 2014
    The game itself deserves a 10/10. The limitations on the PS3 result in framerate issues are problematic. I would recommend it for the PC instead......
  70. Jan 2, 2014
    Best free roam and can lift your spirit every time. You can upgrade your ship,boarding ships,liberate naval forts, and a long story that can lift you anytime. I recommend you to buy it. It's Awesome!!!
  71. Jan 2, 2014
    For those who do not know this game goes backwards in time, however forward in the story. The main guy is Edward Kennway, father of Haythen in AC3 and Grandfather of Connor. that is all I will say.

I dont know why people say that AC is dying out. This game is really good. Goes into depth, has good side missions, allows you to really explore a much more realistic world and setting.

Graphic 9/10
    Story 10/10
    controls 9/10
    online- 7/10
    Smoothness 10/10
  72. Jan 1, 2014
    I cant stop playing this game its got everything you need, great graphics, good story, awesome mechanics and barely any lag im pretty sure most gamers would enjoy this game
  73. Dec 31, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 4 is kind of a disappointment to me. Don't get me wrong it's still good but it does a lot of things wrong. Money has some use now considering the main gimmick is the Jackdaw and upgrades for it cost a lot. So it has improved a bit gameplay wise but combat is as boring as ever with only the big brutes to make it bit challenging. Then the story takes a big flop with theAssassin's Creed 4 is kind of a disappointment to me. Don't get me wrong it's still good but it does a lot of things wrong. Money has some use now considering the main gimmick is the Jackdaw and upgrades for it cost a lot. So it has improved a bit gameplay wise but combat is as boring as ever with only the big brutes to make it bit challenging. Then the story takes a big flop with the present day being a first person office simulator with only a hacking mini game to keep you occupied. Most of the quests in the animus on land are tailing missions which is stupid. So in short, AC4 is a good stand alone game. Better than AC1+3 at least but compared to others it's not that good. Expand
  74. Dec 31, 2013
    Amazing, beautiful, and epic. This game is definitely the best AC game yet, there is soo much stuff to do and yes after a while it does get slightly repetitive but not really in a bad way. The story is simple, but still pretty good and perfectly captures the way of life during the Golden Age of Piracy. Graphics are amazing, way better than AC3 and Edward Kenway is a much more excitingAmazing, beautiful, and epic. This game is definitely the best AC game yet, there is soo much stuff to do and yes after a while it does get slightly repetitive but not really in a bad way. The story is simple, but still pretty good and perfectly captures the way of life during the Golden Age of Piracy. Graphics are amazing, way better than AC3 and Edward Kenway is a much more exciting character than Connor. The only problem I had with this game is the controls, Edward disobeys my command every now and then which sometimes has fatal consequences. Its a 9/10 game, I gave it a 10 because it deserves a higher User Score. 8.1 for this? No way should be 9.5. Expand
  75. Dec 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. AC4 is a stark detraction for the series, it takes the Assassins Vs Templars conflict that has all but defined the previous games by heavily intertwining actual historical elements with a clever and innovative if somewhat contrived narrative of greater conflict and throws it out of the window in favour of committing acts of Piracy and watching Blackbeard intimidate random people. Whilst the assassins and Templars are involved, the new protagonist Edward Kenway, is very clear in his objectives. Make money, get drunk and generally be very stereotypically pirate-y. If it didn’t draw such stark similarities to the known mantra of the AC games it could be justified as an entirely separate release.
    Unfortunately this is where the main problem lies. AC4 seems like a case of going through the motions, endlessly trudging through supposedly intertwining plots that have no relevance to each other and begin to make no sense as Kenway shows up, courtesy of the mission marker, to do something that was never alluded to beforehand and trying to follow his desperate attempts to be pirate like as most if not all consumers expect before running off for no reason to help the assassins because its an assassins creed game and they have to be there. The narrative quickly becomes lost during the two polar opposite behaviours with the only focal point being a contrived pursuit of one obscure target which almost every character tells him to forget about and quite frankly I’m with them. It seems if it wasn’t for Abstergo being so desperate to see what’s inside then there would be no reason for Kenway to even bother. That’s not to say however that the story doesn’t have it moments where occasionally all the contrived nonsense can be forgotten in the face of pure unadulterated joy or the beautiful moment where the well set out missions allow for an incredible flow of play that is endlessly satisfying.
    This turns out to be the truth of AC4, the real fun is not made by the narrative rather by the player themselves which is no bad thing. Cruising the enormous and visually stunning Caribbean aboard a ship which can be directed to any corner of the map, or indeed anywhere inside the largest map ever seen, to commit acts of piracy that are incredible fun. There are few experiences more satisfying than utilising overwhelming force with a sea-tank loaded to the brim with broadside cannons capable of obliterating the enemy leaving them dead in the water as easy pickings or antagonising a brutally powerful man o war into a delicate dance requiring timing and genuine tactics to overcome. This is followed by a sublime boarding experience which really accentuates what the game seeks to encapsulate, swinging from the rigging to assassinate from above and massacring the individuals aboard until their surrender at which point resources are gained and these feed into a well thought out trade and economy system whereby collecting resources allows the ship to be improved so more piracy gives the potential for better upgrades to facilitate targeting higher ranked ships in a perpetual motion. Similarly the sea forts are enormous fun, obliterating towers and fighting to achieve control whilst the warehouses offer a fun and different challenge using assassin skills to sneakily if possible requisition useful items although thankfully the frustrating ‘do not be detected’ sequences have been dropped in a refreshing update of the series which makes the gameplay far more accessable.
    However not all of the creases are ironed out, the game too frequently sinks the immersion to davy jones locker by shoehorning in following characters whilst they spout exposition or eavesdropping sections even if there is no point. I literally found myself following a guy through about three guarded settlements only to drop down from a tree and slash his throat in full view of about twenty other soldiers after he talked about being drunk and other such irrelevant drivel. In an age where computing is so powerful and developed such simple filler seems anachronistic particularly so when the point of its inception is not at its core logical anyway and these blemishes on AC4’s appearances are not the only ones to remain. The navigation is still a bit clunky having Edward sprint up walls, launch himself off buildings or change orientation entirely without any input to suggest that’s what he should be doing with enough frequency it becomes annoying particularly after seamlessly taking out six guards on an immensely fun attack only to throw a smoke bomb to escape their colleagues except when it clears they see you desperately clinging to a roof dangling within sword range like a deranged puppet. The combat also has its problems, the camera does not give a wide enough FOV to parry incoming attacks particularly on ships and suchlike potentially being so close the only solution is to mash counter, some enemies predict what you do before you do it to annoying effect and fighting one enemy who can only be killed by following up an initial counter becomes tiresome when he stands there like an idiot abjectly refusing to attack. Yet the combat ultimately, as is now commonplace, is not that hard and the lack of enemy variety and weapons (Edward can now only wield dual swords) means after a while a certain level of boredom begins to dominate what is arguably one of the best visual melee spectacles in any game series even despite some strange bugs both with targeting and ragdoll animations.
    The characters who are for their part well played feel fleeting cameos purely there for atmosphere and to drive the story forwards being paper thin representations of exactly what is expected of the era. Whilst they deliver appropriately with Blackbeard being a particular highlight there is no humanity, no individualism which knits the characters together and that feels very much like the mantra of the game. It is incredibly enjoyable on its surface, a commit piracy and murder people in an open world with plenty to do setup that gives you a surface on which to operate. Try to read in to it, to go deeper, to spend time to get to know it remains far from the rewarding experience it should be, I spent hours pursuing short term goals of profit for certain expenditure being rewarded quite happily by the game frequently enough to remain invested yet when I took a step back at three o clock in the morning I felt deflated realising the past twelve hours had been used up on menial tasks with no overarching purpose. The superficial very much dominates here, the game expects you to play it obediently and not to question how its numerous well made parts function together as at that instant it begins to fall apart.
    That being said these individual parts cannot be understated in terms of how much they can be enjoyed but as a whole the game feels empty. A story going nowhere much like the character. Yet despite all this there is fun to be had if all pretences of logical story or a reason to keep massacring people for next to no reason can be thrown aside and for that reason it isn’t a bad game with enough entertainment to keep you going provided you do so with independent aims in mind rather than expecting the story to rope you in by itself.
  76. Dec 30, 2013
    Top game absolutely great fun and I wish I had picked it sooner rather than later.
    I love nearly all aspects of this game from free running to taking control of a full sized galleon but if there is any criticism I would say the online modes are most definitely the worst I've played in recent years which is a crying shame as the rest of the game is a joy to play.
  77. Dec 30, 2013
    The game started as if it was a previous version of the AC3 with the usual bugs, and strange animations, not the ACII that one was the best) But after you discover the ship and you get to own it the game changes and becomes quite entertaining and fun, much better than the previous.

Though the annoying part is the Bastergo where every dependant there treats you like a 10 years old kid making funny faces and talking of pirates of carribean arrr and other stupid voices....

They should just have dropped the assassin creed story and make a pure piratesque game!
  78. Dec 29, 2013
    Jogo fantástico, quem tiver a oportunidade JOGUE.
    Comprei este jogo sem muitas expectativas (pois já havia enjoado do universo de Assassins Creed no 2° jogo da franquia), mesmo assim, após ver a temática nova do jogo fui correndo comprar.
    MEU, QUE JOGO ESSE?
    Se vc gosta de assassinos compre, se vc gosta de piratas compre, se vc gosta de gta com barcos compre, resumindo: JOGÃO!
  79. Dec 26, 2013
    I thought no AC game could top AC2, but then this game came out, and it was by far the best assassin's creed game I have ever played, and easily the best game I have ever played, after playing the last of us this year, I said it was my favorite game ever, but this game topped it, you should really buy it
  80. Dec 26, 2013
    So the assassin's creed franchise continues to amaze gamers with this game being set it the pirate time era it calls for great pirate gameplay,fun and shenanigans. You play the role of Edward Kenway farther to Haythem Kenway [Charter from AC3]. I played this on ps3 and the game looks good for how a PS3 game also on next gen game should be. It brings over the naval combat from AC3 and isSo the assassin's creed franchise continues to amaze gamers with this game being set it the pirate time era it calls for great pirate gameplay,fun and shenanigans. You play the role of Edward Kenway farther to Haythem Kenway [Charter from AC3]. I played this on ps3 and the game looks good for how a PS3 game also on next gen game should be. It brings over the naval combat from AC3 and is stella the naval combat is definitely the best bit of the game. Where the naval combat is great the hand to hand combat really sucks press square to attack and press circle to counter in coming attacks adding pistol and other weapons to the combat that have other effects. The stealth feels really lame in this game with it being used less and less from other assassin's creed games. The charters such as Edward and your pirate crew are really awesome but you never feel like a pirate your crew always loves you and nothing really fell as your a pirate. The world in this game is amazing from the giant open ocean and vass epic landscapes are great to play in felt as a massive expanded far cry 3. The Desmond story dosen't continue
    in this game [thankfully] instead you play as you and go into the animus to play as Edward and do all the epic pirate snazz. The misson types are great ranging from a wide range of activates to do and plenty of side quest, hunting and plenty more. Assassin's Creed 4 black flag is my favourite assassin's creed game ever the pirate theme is great its well packed with a great open world but it still lacks in the combat which lets the game down for they really need to fix this in the instalment of the franchise The final verdict is a 8.5 a Great game and this defiantly one not to miss this holiday season
  81. Dec 21, 2013
    One of the most overrated franchises ever created. Predictable plot, mediocre combat, and worst of all..tons of cliches. Don't understand the hype or the interest.
  82. Dec 20, 2013
    I really wanted to give this game a 9.5, but I rounded to 10.

Let me start off by saying that this is my first Assassin's Creed game. I have been reluctant to start one for a while since I figured I didn't know the story or game-play. I easily jumped right into the game. The controls are pretty basic and the gameplay is fairly easy to grasp. I would suggest looking up some major
    I really wanted to give this game a 9.5, but I rounded to 10.

I easily jumped right into the game. The controls are pretty basic and the gameplay is fairly easy to grasp. I would suggest looking up some major plot points before starting, though not really necessary. I do not love this game because of the story, but rather the open world pirate setting. It baffles me that it took this long for a pirate game of this quality to be made.

I am still curious as to whether I would like another Assassin's Creed game due to somewhat repetitive trailing missions, but this was the perfect dose for me.
  83. Dec 18, 2013
    Black Flag has greatly improved on the previous installments of Assassin's Creed, for the most part... First of all there is a huge, beautifully detailed open world for you to explore, with dozens of islands and secrets to uncover. Riding around as the captain of your own ship plundering booty and recruiting crew has never been so much fun. Battles are well done and the cannon mechanicsBlack Flag has greatly improved on the previous installments of Assassin's Creed, for the most part... First of all there is a huge, beautifully detailed open world for you to explore, with dozens of islands and secrets to uncover. Riding around as the captain of your own ship plundering booty and recruiting crew has never been so much fun. Battles are well done and the cannon mechanics have been polished, you can can customize your ship with new sails and other decorations. The combat is sharp and the stealth has been improved upon, however, the selection of weapons available to you has actually been reduced, which I found unimpressive. The story, while taken in a different direction from past games, is very compelling and will draw you into the world. The soundtrack is wonderful, being appropriately powerful or tense in given situations. The multiplayer is nicely presented though I thought some of the modes could have been done better, especially "Wolfpack" where you find yourself in a team with other online players constantly running to targets assassinating them and protecting chests, this felt rather cluttered and the narrating woman's voice was quite annoying after repeating the same phrase 20 times in 2 minutes. Black Flag still suffers from numerous glitches, repetitve missions and frustrating moments where free running doesn't work as well as it should, but this is without a doubt still a very enjoyable, beautiful game with tons to do. Expand
  84. Dec 15, 2013
    This game is bland. The combat is the same boring system used in previous AC games. You simply wait for the O to appear above your head then press it, then do it, then Square then do it over again 1000 times.(twirls finger in the air).

The ship combat had the potential to be interesting. If they had included actual sailing mechanics (adjusting the sail angle depending on wind) it would have been. Instead it controls like driving a really big car about 5 mph in a giant parking lot. Not terribly exciting.

The parkour bits are the same as previous games. You hold down a button and do all sorts of fancy free running stuff. No effort needed on the part of the player.

The dialog and story are, at best, boring.
  85. Dec 12, 2013
    I love this series.but I had to take 2 games back because they would freeze up on my PS3 .i cleaned the lens but the problem is still there. Hasn't happened to any other games just this one. It really sucks.
  86. Dec 11, 2013
    Very nice mix between classic AC gameplay and sailing the seas. open world sandbox is great, and a lot to do. graphics are starting to get a bit old but the athmosphere is great.
  87. Dec 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of the first that really gives you a sense of what sailing is. Personally I enjoyed AC3 ONLY for the sailing parts. That being said, this is AC, not a pirate sim. I didn't play the main story line until I had to, which means immediately. If you want to upgrade your ship at all, you have to play the main story. That would work if the main story was actually engaging. To me it was all the same: Find this guy; follow this guy through all kinds of ridiculous obstacles (groups of 20 guards); eavesdrop on this guy while he wanders through more hordes of guards; DON'T KILL HIM YET!!!; watch from the shadows as he wanders very slowly into a guarded fort; now you can kill him. I don't understand why they do this, why must I follow him for so long? As he's wandering the streets, I'm on a building ready and able to drop onto him and rain down awesomeness, but no, I have to wait for what seems like hours until he gets to a fortified location. Edward Kenway must be the worst Assassin of all time. Or he's a masochist and enjoys torturing himself assaulting a fort by himself. Overall the game was great, but for the wrong reasons. I loved the freedom of sailing all over the map and pirating with no sense of urgency. But when your main story line is so tedious and annoying, it reduces the good parts of the game.

GOOD
    Great pirating and ship mechanics.
    LOVE the sea shanties the crew sings!
    Graphically beautiful, bought it on the 360 and it's the best looking game I've ever seen.
    Ship customization options were good, not great.
    Much better character in Edward Kenway rather than Conner.
    Huge map, and fun to sail across.

BAD
    Boring Main Story, made it feel like the main story was a side mission.
    Tedious repeating missions (WHY EAVESDROPPING!?!?!?).
    Mute, Formless, and Clunky character during play outside the animus, AC Revelations did just fine without having much of a part for Desmond, I understand the reason to remind people they're in the animus, but I hate mute main characters, just a pet peeve.
    The story animus/real doesn't give anything new to the series which makes me think it's more of a really big expansion to AC3 along with the $60 pricetag.
    Uplay You'd think by now Ubisoft would have made Uplay seamless... They haven't, it interferes just about every time I turn it on.
    Took me a few upgrades to realize buying sails has no effect other than visually, kind of disappointing. Leather sails are quite different from canvas, just sayin.
    Kenway's fleet... minigames were dumb turn based ship to ship, and the biggest problem I had: You only ever control the Jackdaw! With the exception of 2 missions I can remember, all you have is a comparably small brig with a maximum of 23 guns.

Overall: Mediocre (Pretty much what I've come to expect from an AC, but I keep buying them for some reason)
  88. Dec 10, 2013
    After being mildly disappointed with AC 3, I am pleasantly surprised by this title. The story line might not be the best in the Assassins Creed series but that is made up for through a tight atmosphere, interesting characters and, of course, Pirates! Who doesn't like pirates?

The graphics are well executed. Game play and controls are on par with similar titles. In game actions besides the main mission are varied, reaching from harpooning and hunting through stealth looting of plantations, to the ever popular collectibles, which by the way include shanties that will be sung by the crew while at sea after unlocking.

Overall the game is extremely captivating. More so than it's direct predecessor AC 3 and way more than for instance this years pity of a Batman: Arkham game.

There are some annoying glitches with the single player online content, which I hope will be solved by some upcoming patch. Other than that I see no reason to rate this game less than 9.
  89. Dec 8, 2013
    this is the best ac game the best part are the fights you can have with your ship the whole pirate theme is really good the online is pretty fun but no one is better than ezio and thats why is not a ten on ten
  90. Dec 8, 2013
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag represents new life for the franchise which, just a year ago, seemed to be aging dramatically. Everything about it is like a well-oiled machine, and Ubisoft's experience with the pirate genre shines through. Notable improvements include manual aim for pistols and other weapons, along with a series of noticeable tweaks here and there.
    This is indisputably
    This is indisputably the greatest in the series since Assassin's Creed II.
  91. Dec 4, 2013
    First I have to say Assassin's Creed is by far my favourite game series. and this installment is the best by far. the characters are all lovable and deep, especially the protagonist. the story is interesting and keeps you emotionally invested all the way through. (There is one moment that brought tears in my eyes...) All the land locations are recreated with the care we have come to expectFirst I have to say Assassin's Creed is by far my favourite game series. and this installment is the best by far. the characters are all lovable and deep, especially the protagonist. the story is interesting and keeps you emotionally invested all the way through. (There is one moment that brought tears in my eyes...) All the land locations are recreated with the care we have come to expect from Ubisoft (especially Havana.) and the missions are all interesting. but it's the freedom to explore the open seas, the naval combat and the upgrading of the Jackdaw that make the game rise above the others in the franchise. the open world of the Caribbean is a joy to explore and plunder. it's a masterpiece. 10 for me. Expand
  92. Dec 2, 2013
    After the release of Assassin's Creed II, the series became an annual release franchise. Ubisoft eases inevitable gamer fatigue by making major changes to each new game to come. Brotherhood brought in a well-received ability to create your own Assassin's Order, which the player could call upon in combat. Revelations brought in a less-successful brand of tower defense mini-games and IIIAfter the release of Assassin's Creed II, the series became an annual release franchise. Ubisoft eases inevitable gamer fatigue by making major changes to each new game to come. Brotherhood brought in a well-received ability to create your own Assassin's Order, which the player could call upon in combat. Revelations brought in a less-successful brand of tower defense mini-games and III brought in a new system of homestead missions as well as naval based combat that was highly successful. Black Flag is a bit different in those regards. Black Flag took the naval mechanics of III and expanded on it, creating an open world, and an entire game, in itself. Its the most successful series of mechanics the series has seen in years.

With a new age comes a new hero; Captain Edward Kenway. This new assassin isn't like
    the previous heroes in the series. Where as our past heroes fought for honor, justice, and freedom, Edward 's motive is pretty straight forward; to make himself some coin. Edward became a pirate so that
    he could get money (a lot of money) and that remains when he enters into the assassin order. Preferring the “everything is permitted” side of the creed, Edward kills and plunders to his heart's content. During the majority of the game, this remains until the last few hours when his character finally develops into a hero fans are willing to root for.

The story itself is very similar to the character of Edward in fact; straight forward and bland.
    Aside from his search for the “Observatory,” Edward has no real motive, antagonist, even loyalty, making his character arc the weakest in the series so far. The characters you meet can be your friends one scene and your enemies in the next. These transitions are poorly executed and abrupt, leaving only a few characters feeling truly fleshed out. The plot also makes the game feel very separated as an Assassin's Creed game. Considering Edward spends so little time affiliating with the assassins and more with pirates, you'll sometimes think your not playing an Assassin's Creed game. In the end, however when your stabbing, climbing, and eliminating Templars, you'll feel familiarity take you home.

As for the present day story, I would stay away from it entirely. Following the story of the previous game, you take the role of an Absetergo Entertainment (not Industries) employee who uses the Animus to research the life of Edward for a future Abstergo project. The present day story itself is nonsense and feels separated from the previous entries as if its taking place in another universe entirely. Filled with lame hacking puzzles and little to explore, this is a feature to stay away from as much as possible. I couldn't get into the Animus any faster.

As for the missions, there is plenty of variety here. The main campaign is filled with lame tail/eavesdrop missions that will keep you sighing every time. The side missions however will keep you
    begging for more. As well as a vast open sea to explore filled with small islands beaming with chests and animus fragments, sunken ships filled with treasures, and massive forts and enemies to plunder.

On land, familiarity takes over. Edward stabs and climbs as his ancestors before. Straying away from the towering monuments of the previous games, you'll be sticking to smaller cities with a few forts and castles here and there. The environments are all beautifully rendered, from the Caribbean jungles to the towering buildings of Kingston. There is plenty to do in each city, from chests to find, viewpoints and sea shanties, even animals to hunt to upgrade Edward's weapons and pouches. There is also assassin contracts as well as missions tied to collecting five Templar keys to unlock some sweet armor. The combat has been refined from the previous game, making it more comfortable when combating multiple foes. This creates fast high paced action sequences all the more fun with a new weapon selection system, making combat simplified.

On sea however, you enter a whole new world. The massive scope of the West Indies is exciting to explore, filled with activities to keep the player entertained.

You take wheel of your ship “The Jackdaw,” armed to the teeth and filled with a crew all your own. The naval gameplay has been modified this time around creating a more flexible way to pilot your ship and combat. Instead of a weapon wheel, the weapon you fire is dictated by the direction the camera’s facing, so looking to the side means that the broadside cannons are active, while looking behind gets the fire barrels ready to drop. This makes the combat simplified and easy to learn. As for the crew, they are my personal favorite element of the game. Your crew takes a major role in plundering as they will help in your success in plundering. As you sail your crew will sing sea shanties (that you can acquire more of through collectibles) as well as comment on your actions such as abandoning ship. It never gets old when you reach for the wheel after a successful looting and your crew cheers for you in your glory and success. The crew is filled with such charm I can't imagine the game without this element. There has been many days where I leave with a shanty or two stuck in my head, constantly humming them throughout my day.

But the naval gameplay doesn't just end there. To survive out in the West Indies, your going to need a powerful ship capable of making Davy Jones quiver in his boots. You'll need plenty of resources to make The Jackdaw into a force to be reckoned with. All of the ships that explore out on the open sea carry plenty of supplies necessary for upgrading the Jackdaw. You can use the captain's spyglass to see what each ship is leveled and what resources each ship carry. You'll be using this a lot to make sure your next assault will really be worth the hassle. These ships won't go down lightly as they will fire back as well as call for reinforcements, so plan accordingly. Once you've withered the ships health down to red, its time to plunder the ship. I encourage all players to plunder a good majority of ships early on as resources are a necessity. If you just destroy a ship without properly plundering it, you only receive half the resources.

Once plundering, you are tasked to completing a few objectives before capturing the ship fully, some include killing a certain amount of crew members and destroying the enemy flag. As you jump abroad the enemy ship, this is where things can get a little hectic, as combat can get feel really crammed on the deck of a ship. With enemy soldiers fully surrounding you as well as combating your fellow crew-mates, you be constantly wondering who has their shot aimed at you. As you successfully plunder the ship, you will be given a few as to what to do next, repair the Jackdaw from its previous battle scars, remove your current wanted level, or send the now captured ship into your own fleet.

Edward's Fleet is a new gameplay element similarly to the Assassins' order mechanics from Brotherhood. You can access your own personal fleet inside the Jackdaw's captain's quarters. Its here where you can manage your ships, access trade routes, and combat other ships to acquire more resources. As you send your ships off to locations, an in-game timer is set often taking a few hours for ships to get there and back. As your fleet returns, fortune follows with treasure maps and outfits, as well as coin and upgrades for the Jackdaw. The experience is completely optional however, but I would suggest using it ever now and again.

Multiplayer returns once again in as high of quality as ever. It won't knock off Grand Theft Auto Online or Call of Duty off their pedestals but it is definitive an enjoyable experience through and through. Wolfpack returns once again for co-op based missionary where players team up to hunt NPCs as well as a new Game Labs mode. In Game Labs, players can create their own game types and share them with friends and other players. “Pistoleer” was a personal favorite of mine, where a player is given the abilities, shield and disguise, and players can only kill using a pistol. This made matches feel intense, leaving me paranoid and careful of every move I made.

Despite its story flaws, frustrating stealth gameplay, and sometimes glitchy world, Assassin's Creed 4 is a hard game to put down. Some elements have been crafted to fit for a better experience. You'll notice the lack of tutorial missions as well as a redefined weapon selection system assigned to the d-pad, making the game easier to pick up for new players. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience much more than the last few games in the series, but it still hasn't reached its full potential just yet. Once you get through the few rough tides, its all smooth sailing here on in.
  93. Dec 1, 2013
    Story is weak and hard to follow at times, too many ship and tailing missions, but other than that it easily improves vastly from the other games and does everything other than the story much better.
  94. Nov 27, 2013
    There's no way I could give it a lower score. AC IV is what AC III should have been and it's even more. It takes everything its predecessor has done right like the smooth movements, fluid, brutal fights and naval combats and improves to make them even better. It brings back the "Assassin's Creed" feeling that had been lost in AC III, because they also took references from past games, likeThere's no way I could give it a lower score. AC IV is what AC III should have been and it's even more. It takes everything its predecessor has done right like the smooth movements, fluid, brutal fights and naval combats and improves to make them even better. It brings back the "Assassin's Creed" feeling that had been lost in AC III, because they also took references from past games, like the insuperable AC II. Nothing feels repetitive and boring; and talking about "boring", Edward is a WAY more interesting character than Connor was, I don't even know why he is Connor's grandfather, because his personality remembers me more of Ezio's than Connor's. He's womanizer, funny, smart, and very serious about his business. The game visuals are outstanding, the environments are rich, even the AI is improved. Missions are more diversified and Ubisoft has even implemented a mission review system. After completing a mission, you simply fill up to 5 stars and send them as a notice of how much you enjoyed that mission, it's very cool. Expand
  95. Nov 26, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 4: 90% pirate, 10% assassin. To see a summary of this review scroll to the end.

Ubisoft went ahead and did the obvious. They took, the best part of Assassin's Creed 3, really the only really good part, and made a game out of it. Literally, they retrofitted the game engine used in the previous title into this a new game, while barely adding or changing anything. This whole game felt like an AC 3.1, rather than a new title.. which, I wouldn't have had a problem with, if they would have fixed the problems that plagued AC3, or actually gave us a good, satisfying story, like AC2, but they didn't.

Assassin's Creed wasn't particularly good when it came to game mechanics, AC1 and 2 were kind of bad actually, instead, it was built by it's amazing storytelling, beautiful setting, and wonderful soundtrack. I still listen to Ezio's Family by Jesper Kyd from AC2. That song brings back a kind of emotions that I rarely feel with games. AC4, however delivers only one of these, the setting. I'm going to start by criticizing the story itself. It's terrible. First off, it has nothing to do with Assassins, they barely make a cameo appearance, both inside and outside the Animus. The whole game revolves around pirates, and that wouldn't be a problem, if it was a good story. And it starts out good, but then it gets riddled with plot holes, poor writing, scenes that don't make sense, and although they stayed away from the obvious parrot cliches, they added a bunch of them story-wise. The story does make a few twists, but most of them you'll see coming a mily away, and most of them don't make sense. There is no main enemy in the game, and most of the things that happen in the game make no sense. And if you were expecting a great ending.. don't.. it is terrible. The only plot-twist you won't see coming in this game is the ending.. they drop it on you out of nowhere, just when you were expecting the game would truly begin, and then they hit you in the face with a poorly done cutscene, and leave you confused.

Here's a tip, dear Ubisoft. A story, every story, follows 5 basic steps, not necessarily in this order: Exposition, Rising Action, Progression, Climax, Ending. The 4th is completely missing, and the fifth leaves you confused, when it should leave you satisfied.

Then there are the actual missions in the story. Boring, repetitive and most of them don't make sense. All you do is follow this guy, eavesdrop on that guy. And on rare occasions you kill someone. Missions involving ships can be interesting, but at times they are the same boring "follow that ship" nonsense. In comparison with GTA 5, or Red Dead Redemption, where every mission was unique and intriguing, here they are boring, unimaginative and repetitive. The same goes for side missions. Assassinations, Naval Missions and Templar Hunts. All of them are basically the same. If you did one then you did all, there's no point in continuing. You play through it once, but you won't want to play through it a second time.

What saves the game is the beautiful and huge open world game, the side activities(not missions) and the naval combat. The setting is really amazing, although some fans of the series will find it irritating that you won't visit cities that much, only a couple times, and they are small with not a lot of things to do, the setting just didn't allow for that. Most of the time you will do what the game is all about: pirating. Naval combat is really fun, and it's been expanded upon a lot.: you can board ships, capture them, steal their cargo and send them to your fleet, you can attack naval forts and capture them. You can use those resources to upgrade your ship and so on. There are also underwater places you can explore, but there are limited, and in comparison with GTAV, where there was an entire open-world you could explore, here there are only ten locations, but it still looks great, and avoiding sharks and medusas is great fun. You can also raid plantations, which are a ton of fun... basically the side activities are really great, and make this game enjoyable, even though the story brings it down.

In summary, it looks like this game was made just so Ubisoft can make more money off of the ship mechanics in AC3. Combat and land based mechanics are basically the same as the previous game, although they did need changing and improving. The game engine is the same as it was in the third title, with very little improvement, or change, when it, again needed it. And all of this would not be a problem if the game offered a good story, but it doesn't. The story seems like an excuse to sell an adapted version of AC3, and the story is driven by the game mechanics, and not vice versa. Luckily the beautiful setting, graphics and excellent pirate game save the game and prop up the rating to a 6/10. You can't help but feel, if they only spent a little bit more time, and wouldn't pump out a game every year, it could've been an amazing game.
  96. Nov 26, 2013
    Pros-
    *Vast and Beautiful World
    *Distinctive cities and locations to see
    *Edward is Epic

*Repetition in story mission
    *Kinda lost that Assassins Creed Edge

Overall a way much better than AC3 an absolute amazing game
  97. Nov 23, 2013
    Fun, fun fun, thats what you get wen you play this game. Ive only had one other AC game and that was revelations so I was a bit reluctant to get this, but having read a few user reviews Im glad I did. I dont get where the negative reviews are coming from as there is nothing to warrant that in this game,

Sailing the seas looking to pirate is just awesome, I love the open world aspect there is so much to do, yes you could mention it might feel a little repetitive but never enough to stop you coming back for more and thats a sign of a good game, and theres still the single player story to keep you going.

This is a great game to play just go buy it,
  98. Nov 19, 2013
    This game is amazing The exploration is the best thing. the combat was upgraded and so was the counter system well worth the price. usually i can play AC for an hour at most but with black flag i have to force myself to put the controller down.
  99. Nov 18, 2013
    First of all, the graphics & the story telling has definitely been improved. The game itselfs lacks mystery and assassins creed spirit. It's too much "Yarr I'm a pirate" and what most players know as Assassins Creed has been toned down heavily.

I love Assassins Creed and I really enjoyed this game but I was quite let down by the story. Pros: * Great improvement in storytelling and

Pros:

* Great improvement in storytelling and graphics

Cons:

* Doesnt quite feel like Assassins Creed
    * Nothing new when it comes to combat and missions

Overall: Enjoyable game but has lost the Assassins Creed spirit, please go back to it or lose the Assassins Creed name.
  100. hbk
    Nov 18, 2013
    i m a great fan of assasins creed series....this game is really awesome and outstanding in all aspects...i had played all the games{gta 5,call of duty ghosts adn battlefield 4} but in my opinion no other game can compete with AC 4 BLACKFLAG and i wish it will get GOTY
  101. Oct 29, 2013
    Best addition to ac series after ac 2 it is a landmark game and keeps you busy with it's thrills and rich environment. It is a game which define both ac and the pirates.

1. CD-Action
    Dec 13, 2013
    All the distinguishing features of the series – the Templars, parkour and brutal assassinations – are here, but now they are not the core, they are just elements of the best pirate game ever, of a Red Dead Redemption at sea. [13/2013, p.52]
  2. Nov 16, 2013
    Black Flag is a remarkably new take on the series, and I would go as far to say it’s the finest entry we’ve seen to date.
  3. Nov 15, 2013
    With the new Assassin’s Creed we find ourselves in the Caribbean with a new main character called Edward Kenway. Black Flag focuses on the sea battles we saw in the third game and continues with this, with some new additions. Overall, you’ll be busy for a while – 40 hours, give or take – but the story isn’t that compelling.