6.1

1. Jan 18, 2014
    Most reviewers are treating this game as it should have been a sequel to the amazing black flag, like it should have gone beyond the scope of Assassins Creed. What he keeps forgetting is that ITS A BLOODY REMAKE. Its not supposed to do anything different except fix the bugs and improve the visuals which this game did. I will admit, the vita version was no very good. But this game hasMost reviewers are treating this game as it should have been a sequel to the amazing black flag, like it should have gone beyond the scope of Assassins Creed. What he keeps forgetting is that ITS A BLOODY REMAKE. Its not supposed to do anything different except fix the bugs and improve the visuals which this game did. I will admit, the vita version was no very good. But this game has improved on it in so many ways. The vita version had hundreds of bugs and glitches from broken trophies to even one broken mission I encountered. In this game, they were no where to found. The ONLY glitch that they hadn't taken out(which really annoys me for some reason) is the butter knife glitch where Aveline looks like shes holding a butter knife the wrong way when she does double counters with her machete. Everything else is fine. While the story has plot holes, their mission wasn't to add more to the main story! And they even helped out the player by reminding them what was going on from time to time in an un-interruptive way. There are literally 2-3 tailing missions. And you don't get detected right away, they give you a good amount of time (at least 20 seconds) to hide. The missions in this game have a good pace to them but there are some plot holes that leave you wondering. The combat system is the same as AC3 and AC4 except the sound doesn't glitch off all the time like in the latter. It has all new amazing sword moves as well, only the machete moves are copied from connor. This game has also brought back stealth, which is the strength of the AC series.

The slave and lady personas have also been improved as they have new mechanics that help you blend in plain sight. I think they should have implemented them more in your efforts of releasing slaves (lady pays for their release, slave sneaks in and releases them, assassin fights slavers etc..) but there are moments in the game when you do this!

The checkpoints are also spread out in a moderate way as well. They aren't great, but they definitely aren't horrible. I honestly think it deserves at least an 8.5 for:
    +Amazing protagonist
    +improved combat
    +Improved graphics
    +Improved mechanics for the personas
    +improved tailing
    +A variety of new soldiers from the vita version that provide more of a challenge when fighting
    +Sound is VERY much improved
    -no new ways to use personas to liberate slaves besides hiding in plain sight
    -some boring side missions
    -Graphics aren't up to par with AC4, though they are on par with AC3
    -plot holes
    -Some bad voice acting
    I strongly recommend you get this game. I think this game will be worth your while. I loved this game.
  2. Mar 8, 2014
    I gave this game a high rating because I love Assassin's Creed. The stories are always great, but I love it specifically for the gameplay. There is so much freedom, and the controls are an art that is well thought out. If you like previous Assassin's Creed games, then there is no reason why you wouldn't like this one. It is classic AC. Aveline has her own badass kill animations with theI gave this game a high rating because I love Assassin's Creed. The stories are always great, but I love it specifically for the gameplay. There is so much freedom, and the controls are an art that is well thought out. If you like previous Assassin's Creed games, then there is no reason why you wouldn't like this one. It is classic AC. Aveline has her own badass kill animations with the hidden blades that are far cooler than Edward's, in my opinion. I had a blast playing this game. I got about 30 hours out of it, collecting everything and getting 100% sync. Expand
  3. Jan 16, 2014
    This game suffers untimately from the graphical power and gameplay AC4 had, but it's far from a bad game. It is enjoyable and due to the female protagonist and the setting offers a different approach with a great atmosphere. Of course from time to time one is reminded it is a Vita port but I actually was quite surprised how good it looks. For 20 dollars a really good game. I give it an 8
  4. Jan 17, 2014
    From the perspective of someone who just finished Black Flag, and experienced what an Assassins Creed game can really be, it is possible to see Liberation's port as a bit of a letdown, but don't let the word "port" -or the title's humble beginnings- be a deterrent.

Comparing the graphics of Liberation HD to the original Vita version and with AC 3, it is clear that it benefits greatly from the facelift. The city of New Orleans (as well as the other areas) received new, bustling life that took it from seeming like a ghost town to being more on par with AC3's Boston, though slightly smaller.

The storyline does feel a tad bit... fast at times, but I personally did not see it as a detriment to the title. The lack of jarring modern-day sections (which were awful in 3 and greatly improved in 4) is a welcome addition to the series, with the entirety of the gameplay taking place within the confines of the narrative. The only incursion is the "hacking" of your copy of the game by the entity known as Erudito, whose goal is to show you the unaltered memories that Abstergo changed to show the templars in a better light. A fantastic twist on the typical modern day setting.

Aveline handles well with a controller, though suffers from the same niggling problems that plague all AC protaganists; there were a few times when I found myself swearing at Aveline for jumping into a tree instead onto it, but no more than any other characters, either. The combat system has been reduced to two buttons, but let's REALLY be honest: How many players really used anything more than "Counter"? The chain kill mechanic is a nice way to step back from the action and allow a chance to get quality kills, though the opportunities to use it didn't seem to be there as often as I would have liked.

On the subject of Aveline, the persona system was an excellent idea, which, if fleshed out just a little bit more, could have been an AMAZING idea, but as it stands it still did its job, which was to expand the character of Aveline into more than simply a puppet you can use to stab people.

Storywise, it IS much shorter than its other console brethren, and there are unfamiliar textual summaries of events which took place off-screen (or, baffingly, sometimes on-screen). Mission-wise, there was a nice mix, with a few new mechanics thrown in for good measure (puzzles? I liked them!). It felt like Assassins Creed 2 in regard to the missions, still basic in a way, and not laden down with unnecessary fluff like later titles. As I stated above, it did seem very fast (it took me maybe 7 hours to complete the main storyline) but at a third of the cost of a major title (or less with the season pass for Black Flag) it is hard to throw too big of a fit about the length of the story. (And with all of the collectibles and an achievement/trophy for actually completing the game 100%, you'll get more out of it than just that time).

Admittedly, it IS possible to tell that this was a handheld game first; there are a few areas (mainly in Chichen Itza, and parts of the bayou) where the models for the trees or rocks seemed incongruous with the HD setting, but for the most part this was easily ignorable. A few animations suffer from the jump, most egregiously swinging with the bull-whip across gaps (which is still a lot of fun, it just looks really STRANGE).

The characters with which you interact are some of the best in the series, including the brooding, moody Assassin mentor Agate and the smugglers Aveline befriends in the bayou. It is a shame that so many negative reviews by players who expected more (for 20 bucks how much do you really want?) will ultimately lead them to be undiscovered.

Pros:
    Solid Title with decent concepts
    Beautiful look at French Louisiana
    A third of the price of a retail game
    Series first female protaganist, who is clever and not afraid to use her position(s) to her advantage.

Cons:
    A few modeling issues
    Storyline that is short by console standards (though without modern-day fluffery)
    One mission where you have to put up with Connor's terrible, bland voice-acting.

If you are looking for a decent game for 20 bucks, and are a fan of the Creed series, definitely pick this up. It's more of the same, admittedly, but it isn't AC3, and that in itself counts for a lot. It doesn't hold up next to the likes of Black Flag, but it is a fun little game and it shows that Ubisoft isn't afraid to experiment with the AC formula. If you played this on the Vita, it's up to you whether you play it again since it is still the same game (though all the bugs of the vita version have been fixed).
  5. Mar 19, 2015
    For me, Assassin's Creed III was the one entry in the series that really made me sit up and just appreciate how good everything about the franchise is. What many didn't know however is that a spinoff PS Vita game was released at the same time with the subtitle of Liberation. It featured the first AC female protagonist, was set in New Orleans and took place around the same time as theFor me, Assassin's Creed III was the one entry in the series that really made me sit up and just appreciate how good everything about the franchise is. What many didn't know however is that a spinoff PS Vita game was released at the same time with the subtitle of Liberation. It featured the first AC female protagonist, was set in New Orleans and took place around the same time as the events of Connor's quest, however it did feature more of a focus on the French Revolution as well. In this time of constant remasters and re-releases it is no surprise that a HD port of the game has been released. This is a great idea, as many die hard AC fans missed out on this game when it was exclusively released on Vita (however, many do love the series so much it's enough to get them to buy the new handheld...). But for those who have already bought the game, is it enough to warrant another purchase? In short, probably not unless you are a huge Creed lover, though those who haven't tried it should get right to it...

First up, the improvements on offer, Being that it is in the title, high definition obviously plays into the visual improvements of this entry. Everything is so much prettier and it looks almost as good if not just as good as ACIII. The character models are more detailed, more attention has been payed to the environments and the animation work is more advanced. Along with this, you can expect a smooth experience with barely any bugs at all. I love it when my games look better, but what about new content? There are a few new side missions with each one catering towards the multiple personality game mechanic that makes this such an innovative entry in the series. That's about an hour of new stuff and there are some new collectibles, but none of it is outstanding. The real fun still comes from the main campaign and the gameplay which has thankfully retained all of its allure.

The story centres around Aveline De Grandpre- a half French, half American lady who becomes caught up in the cause of the Assassins after the disappearance of her mother when she was young. You don't see Aveline go from a naive teenager to a mature adult killer across the course of the game and this is extremely refreshing. I was expecting another origin story that explains why Aveline wants to kill a tonne of Templars. What we get instead is a lack of overwrought exposition and that is probably the best thing about it all- this game assumes you've played a Creed title before and unlike other titles in the series it won't hold your hand for 3 hours. ACIII has a necessarily slow start, while this has a quick one. This diversity ensures that it can stand out from the game it is spinning off from. The length of the game is about 8 or so hours and as per usual there is a load of replayabilty if you plan on completing all of the sync challenges. The twist at the end is also great and recalls the stunning conclusion of the first Assassin's Creed. I won't spoil it any further, but I can say that this is a very accomplished, interesting narrative and while there are no present day missions, the future of the, well, future is looking good!

Liberation is just as smooth to play as its bigger predecessors and this is great as the transition to consoles seems to have gone without a hitch. Combat is very similar to that of III, though Aveline is noticeably lighter and faster than Connor. She has plenty of new animations and while she doesn't come with a trusty Tomahawk, she has a small sugar machete, a blowpipe and other weapons and gadgets that make fighting both tactical and enjoyable. The counter and attack system just works well and I love pulling off brutal finishing moves on enemies. Stealth is given a small focus with missions that require you to not get detected, but this is more of a fast paced action game than a slower paced, sneaky one. Parkour is also very much like the systems of III and Black Flag, with responsive movements and great free running. The real innovation comes in the form of Aveline's three personas- the Slave, the Lady and the Assassin. The style you pick determines your method of gameplay and the side activities you complete.

The side content itself is rather unremarkable, with some recruitment and assassination missions and collectibles that unlock cool bonuses, but nothing really noteworthy. The mission design is also a bit repetitive, with some chase and tail sequences that don't really stand alongside the greater moments of AC, like the battlefield attacks of III and the Queen Anne's Revenge part of IV. There are some stupid decisions as well, like the lack of parkour while playing as the Lady persona.

Liberation is probably my least favourite in the Creed series and it certainly doesn't reach the staggering heights of the fourth of fifth games. Still, I would recommend it to anyone who loves the franchise or is interested in a more unique kind of Assassin's game- its greatest strength is difference from the others.

Most importantly from my perspective, Aveline is the most worthwhile female lead character since Ubisoft's own Jade from Beyond Good & Evil.
  2. Liberation has plenty of interesting things going for it, but is only essential for completionists. [March 2014, p80]
  3. Feb 26, 2014
    Liberation HD won't change anyone's mind about the Assassin's Creed series. It clings closely to the style of the series' earlier entries, but feels cramped even in comparison to those games.