Asura's Wrath PlayStation 3

7.3

1. Apr 26, 2012
    When I sat down to play Asura's wrath for the first time I thought it was going to be a cheap god of war knock off. I could never have of been more wrong. The action in Asura's wrath was on a whole new level. But that is only part of what makes it such a great game. It has a fantastic intriguing story on top of all the mayhem. A lot of people are complaining that the game was more ofWhen I sat down to play Asura's wrath for the first time I thought it was going to be a cheap god of war knock off. I could never have of been more wrong. The action in Asura's wrath was on a whole new level. But that is only part of what makes it such a great game. It has a fantastic intriguing story on top of all the mayhem. A lot of people are complaining that the game was more of a movie with all the cut scenes but those cut scene are what make a good story. There was no boring exploring or level cramming you fight boss after boss and take brakes between fights enjoying the progression of the story through very artistic comics and intriguing cut scenes. For all you action lovers and gamers that like a good story this is a must. MAKE SURE TO GET THE DLC WORTH IT Expand
  2. May 13, 2012
    Asuras Wrath is really a user-controlled anime manga with quick time events and random button mashing while easy to get to the next episode the challenge is to get an S ranking by getting scored on syncronicity,battle points,time taken to complete episode you either need two S ranks or three A ranks for an over-all S rank the difficulty of this varies episode to episode. The cgi anime isAsuras Wrath is really a user-controlled anime manga with quick time events and random button mashing while easy to get to the next episode the challenge is to get an S ranking by getting scored on syncronicity,battle points,time taken to complete episode you either need two S ranks or three A ranks for an over-all S rank the difficulty of this varies episode to episode. The cgi anime is extremely well done and the story is good enough to keep you interested. Over-all the game is pretty good fun too play.
    But as due too the nature of the game there is not much replayability and content wise it lasts around the eight hour mark. I recommend a rental or try too find it at a bargain price. There are about six extra dlc episodes as well now with a seperate new ending and a crazy guest appearance from ryu.
  3. May 30, 2012
    Phenomenal game. Graphics amazing, story gripping and lots of replay value. Bought it having read reviews and was worried it wouldn't be that fun but I love this game. They took a risk and it paid off.
  4. tcb
    Apr 7, 2012
    Very nice game. Normally I'm not a big fan of QTEs but here they are implemented in a nice and working way (i.e. they are part of the game play and not just sprinkled in at random times in a cut scene as they are in most other games). The story was nice, and the game play was fun. Soundtrack is amazing, and the graphics are nice to look at. What I really liked about it is the fact, that itVery nice game. Normally I'm not a big fan of QTEs but here they are implemented in a nice and working way (i.e. they are part of the game play and not just sprinkled in at random times in a cut scene as they are in most other games). The story was nice, and the game play was fun. Soundtrack is amazing, and the graphics are nice to look at. What I really liked about it is the fact, that it is different, and not the same old game play as rehashed in every other game. Expand
  5. Jul 12, 2012
    AW wastes no time thrusting the player into the shoes of Asura a Demigod tasked with protecting the world from an evil infestation that causes gigantic tentacles to rise from the earths very core and unleash a savage fury to which even the gods have a hard time contemplating, as the impurity level of all the creatures is shown on screen the source of all of it is one with a level that isAW wastes no time thrusting the player into the shoes of Asura a Demigod tasked with protecting the world from an evil infestation that causes gigantic tentacles to rise from the earths very core and unleash a savage fury to which even the gods have a hard time contemplating, as the impurity level of all the creatures is shown on screen the source of all of it is one with a level that is to high to measure. an on rails shooter segment quickly turns into a button masher. I use all of my divine strength to diminish the evil that ravenges the earth. With the evil sealed away in the center of the earth once again it is a time for celebration. But like any anti hero Asura soon finds his quest for peace transforming into a quest for revenge, as your wife gets murdered and your daughter is kidnapped. To make matters worse Asura is framed for conspiracy and is then sent on a 12000 year quest to rid the world of evil and clear his name. The gameplay and story go hand and hand in this quest for redemption and revenge. As intriguing as the story may be the gameplay is far from being your standard button masher. Yes you primarily rely on one button to attack your foes while occasionally waiting for a QTE to occur on screen to counter an enemies attack. However the way in which you traverse each battle as well as the different opponents that you face off against offer a unique blend of challenge, that depending on how skilled you are can either be a cake walk or a pain in the @#!*% . While at first glance it may may just look like another god of war or devil may cry clone in actuality it has more in common with games like Mike Tyson's punch out.

Now I know that that's probably one of the last games that anyone would think of referencing when playing Asura's wrath, but when you grind it down to it's core, and you think about what made Punch out on the nes so great you might see the similarities. The greatest innovation of punch out was that it wasn't just a sports tittle, it was more centered around the rhythm/timing genre in which you had to memorize every enemies set of moves until you were good enough to create a pattern that worked out best for you.
    In Asura's wrath you pretty much do the exact same thing, you have to memorize every enemies unique attack pattern so that you could develop one of your own and think of a strategy to successfully dispatch incoming threats in a way as quick and effectively as possible to get a higher rating at the end of each stage.

The most prominent difference between this game and every other hack and slasho button masho on the market is that you don't win levels by killing enemies, instead you have a bar on top of the screen that tells you your "Rage" level defeating enough enemies, or countering enough attacks via quick time events are the two primary ways to build up your rage meter, even getting hit will slightly increase your rage meter as somewhat of a consolation. Once your meter has been filled up all the way the word "BURST" will appear on your screen indicating that you are to perform a series of quick time events to progress to the next area, this unnatural means of progression may turn off die hard action game fans, bit like I stated this isn't so much an action game as a Timing/Rhythm oriented game.

Another great aspect that should not be overlooked is the games art style mixing together the canvas like art style of prince of Persia with sketch models via Valkiria Chronicles and well placed lighting effects you get an incredibly unique art style that looks like all the characters are made out of woodcarvings, yet are flexible enough as to avoid looking to much like a cardboard cutout during cutscenes.

Roughly two thirds of a way into the game your perspective will be switched over to another protagonist named Yasha who's move-set is very similar to Asura's except slightly more fast paced. Though this also serves as a way to introduce new equally fast and ambitious foes at you so the slight tweak in gameplay is gradually appreciated as your new characters powers are a perfect match for your new foes. The rebel without a cause in this game who's true intentions are unknown until the ending climax is a great way of changing up the pace, though only ever so slightly it shows that the development team at least had enough common sense not to have you playing as the same obnoxious four armed hero throughout the roughly 8-10 hours that you will be playing this game. being able to view the story from different perspectives is a great way to avoid making the antagonists seem one dimensional.

while I definitely can't recommend it to everyone the sheer scope of events that take place here are defiantly evident that a game doesn't need to follow the rule book as so many action games before it in order to be good. It's a unique game loaded with potential that will make you feel like a total bad @#!*% .
  6. Feb 21, 2012
    Interactive Anime
    Interactive Anime
    This game suceeds on all levels, except for one small part. Some good things are the mix of Japanese Mythology and science fiction graphics looks fantastic, and the gameplay is very fun and over-the-top epic. But, the cutscenes, though amazing, are too plentiful. Sometimes it feels as if you are watching an anime and clicking buttons in some spots. This is further implemented due to low difficulty. This will either be a good or bad thing, depending on the person. Alltogether, i found this game thrilling and action packed. Some may not but they should at least give it a try and rent it.
  7. Feb 22, 2012
    Its Different and fun and I adore it for being something that I never played before and the is really good but the story is also short but that should nt stop from having a blast with this game
  8. Feb 21, 2012
    Incredibly entertaining - it's like Fist of the North Star with a lot less stoicism and a lot more divine magic. I don't even mind that I spend a fair amount of time watching the story play out, it's just so over the top that anytime I'm not actively involved in gameplay, I am (no joke) laughing with joy at the latest nonsensical feat that Asura and I just pulled. The anime-episode-styleIncredibly entertaining - it's like Fist of the North Star with a lot less stoicism and a lot more divine magic. I don't even mind that I spend a fair amount of time watching the story play out, it's just so over the top that anytime I'm not actively involved in gameplay, I am (no joke) laughing with joy at the latest nonsensical feat that Asura and I just pulled. The anime-episode-style presentation format is perfect for the story, the art is top-notch, and the gameplay itself is simple and appropriately furiously paced. Very highly recommended for fans of The Rule of Cool. Expand
  9. Mar 7, 2012
    I totally understand many gamer's frustration towards Asura's wrath. The problem here is how you approach the game. I used to think this would be a new God of War but it became very clear to me that this would not be the case (specially after de demo). It is, indeed, a short game and more of an interactive, fighting/shooting QTE made experience (like Child of Eden or even Heavy Rain). ButI totally understand many gamer's frustration towards Asura's wrath. The problem here is how you approach the game. I used to think this would be a new God of War but it became very clear to me that this would not be the case (specially after de demo). It is, indeed, a short game and more of an interactive, fighting/shooting QTE made experience (like Child of Eden or even Heavy Rain). But we must not forget why we play games; it's not about pushing buttons only, it's about how we feel, how that particular software touches us, moves us. And Asura's Wrath is a beautiful, haunting, compelling game. It's a great tale of revenge and one that everybody will like to see to the end. Good, solid game. Expand
  10. Feb 29, 2012
    Asura's wrath is one of those game that divides mainstream from art. This game is an art piece. Of course like most of art it doesn't receives such high acclaim like most of the mindless games nowadays. Personally I don't care, it was worth 50â
  11. Feb 27, 2012
    It's more like a interactive movie but i still love the game it was very original the story was quiet good too definitely one of my favorite games my only complain is that the game is very short and the graphics needed a little more detail but overall this game is awesome good job Capcom.
  12. Mar 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. I like this game of curse if you don't like this type of games you will not like this one. I just found two negative things, one was the duration of the game I pass the game in four hours i didn't like that. The other thing is the stile of game all game basicly is a videos and you are like playing a cartoon, i really like it more if was parts with less video showing. Collapse
  13. Feb 21, 2012
    This is an incredible game!! If you are any sort of Anime fan this is a definite must buy!! I might buy another copy or two so my friends can experience it too.
  14. Feb 21, 2012
    Capcom parecería que volvió a la época en la que estaba Clover, en la que se arriesgaba a sacar cosas nuevas, tratando de innovar en ciertos aspectos, porque Asura Wrath es eso, las ganas de querer probar cosas nuevas y plasmándolas de una manera muy excitante en cuanto a la emoción que te causa al jugarlo.
    La
    La música también es muy buena, por lo menos a mi me encanta. El estilo que tienen los gráficos y esa onda de querer simular los capítulos de los anime esta rebien hecho.
    Ojala Capcom siga con esta racha de lanzar juegos que tratan de mostrar algo diferente, y no como los Call of Duty o los Battlefield o toda esos juegos malisimos que solo venden por ser shooter, por el multiplayer, y porque todas las paginas que hacen análisis le ponen nota alta, ya que debe haber una tramoya atrás de la que no sabemos todavía como funciona, pero que se re nota que esta ahí.
  15. Mar 4, 2012
    Have not seen such epic Japanese games. If you say Heavy Rain is an interactive movie, the Asura can be compared with an interactive anime. The main feature game - epic and unique atmosphere. SHE JUST MEGA EPIC!
  16. Mar 4, 2012
    I have to say I was blown away. The game really puts you into the story and you really want to always know what happens next. Its so refreshing to play something so new and original and once you start it is so hard to put down. That said the only reason I'm not giving it a 10 is because the game can be beat in about 6 hours but that is an amazing 6 hours. I can only hope that it sells wellI have to say I was blown away. The game really puts you into the story and you really want to always know what happens next. Its so refreshing to play something so new and original and once you start it is so hard to put down. That said the only reason I'm not giving it a 10 is because the game can be beat in about 6 hours but that is an amazing 6 hours. I can only hope that it sells well so they make a new one that can be even longer. Even though the can is a shorter one it is a experience that I'm so happy I spent 60 bucks on and didn't miss. All true gamers will appreciate this game for what it has done and bringing such a great story to life. If you are a true gamer and appreciate any kind of great game not just shooters please buy this.Really great experience from beginning to end. Expand
  17. Mar 7, 2012
    Asura's Wrath isn't one of those games that leads you on - it does exactly what you expect it to. For those of us who actually read up on a games story before we play it randomly, we see the pain behind all that wrath and the way he blows off steam is AWESOME. It's a great story with some serious fights and intense cut scenes. Definitely a must play!
  18. Mar 6, 2012
    Asura is, an Interactive Anime with elements Beat'em Up. And to assess just how the game is not correct. Assess how the anime too. What happens on the screen, it's a nightmare addict. And it pleases. Difficult situation, they gave us something new that we can not explain. Thank you Capcom, for the great new IP.
  19. May 8, 2013
    The most epic story ever, with a really good ending that no games have.... Don't F*cking miss it !!!
    It's really one of the best game Capcom ever made. This is an incredible game.
  20. Feb 5, 2013
    The parts where you can actually control the character are in fact pretty crappy, 6/10 stuff at best. Combat is boring and utterly repetitive play the game on easy to reduce the amount of repeated moves and combos, there is not much point to play on higher difficulty anyway. The crappy combat does not actually matter, for its real purpose (besides making this classifiable as a game) is toThe parts where you can actually control the character are in fact pretty crappy, 6/10 stuff at best. Combat is boring and utterly repetitive play the game on easy to reduce the amount of repeated moves and combos, there is not much point to play on higher difficulty anyway. The crappy combat does not actually matter, for its real purpose (besides making this classifiable as a game) is to help you to better connect with Asura and his wrath. And same actually goes for (effectively pointless) quick-time events throughout the cut-scenes. This game tells a story filled with emotions (well, mostly wrath, duh) and the story, the animations, the game's ability to make you feel those emotions is the real meat here. If you like anime over-the-top stuff like Gurren Lagann, Naruto (those non-emo pre-shippuuden parts anyway) or any other fighting anime about overcoming your own limitations, you will love Asura's Wrath for all the epic moments and fights it will throw at you. And unless this turns out to be lie, get the Nirvana DLC as well, it's at least as awesome as the basic game, gets you the real, definitive ending and I could swear the visuals get way better in it. (The DLC .5 episodes on the other hand are just pretty crappy ugly 2D animations with QTEs. The second one was okay, I guess, but the first one felt like utter waste of money.) Expand
  21. Apr 3, 2013
    The first play though Of Asura's wrath is completely engrossing, The story is brilliantly told and the game and cut scene's look amazing, I didn't want to turn this game off until I'd completely finished it and experienced The full story..

The game isn't to shabby either, easy control's, the character mechanics are fluent and well animated. and there is a large amount of enemies to keep you guessing..

Right now this game can be picked up for $20 (AUD) or less and is definitely worth your time, if your a fan of action anime's or action videogames this is one you should not miss!
  22. Oct 16, 2012
    This game... forget it. Go play this game. Nothing I say can help you understand the sheer amount of monumentally amazing action that this game has. If you like anime, then this is a must play. If you haven't already played this game, your probably not interested anyways, but take my word, you will not be disappointed. However, if your not into anime, QTE, or things that are awesome, thenThis game... forget it. Go play this game. Nothing I say can help you understand the sheer amount of monumentally amazing action that this game has. If you like anime, then this is a must play. If you haven't already played this game, your probably not interested anyways, but take my word, you will not be disappointed. However, if your not into anime, QTE, or things that are awesome, then you probably wont appreciate it for what it is. As a game, its technically not that good, but as an interactive anime, its a masterpiece! Expand
  23. Mar 31, 2013
    got this game for $20. I've been warching Anime as a kid; my first was Mobile Suit Gundam followed by BT'x, Zenki, Tenchi Muyo, and you know the rest. The atmosphere has similarities to Gurren Laggan and Jojo with its shameless flaunting of unfathomable ridiculousness. It's a great game for Anime lovers but I won't recommend it to Westerners as they don't have an open mind to such things.
  24. Apr 24, 2013
    Playing this games has been like watching an anime for me, with a higher price-tag by the way. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone but I had tons of fun playing it. It's crazy animations and combos sometimes become somehow repetitive. At the same time it's been a joy playing through it and even though it has some ups and downs, my overall feeling towards this game is very positive. We arePlaying this games has been like watching an anime for me, with a higher price-tag by the way. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone but I had tons of fun playing it. It's crazy animations and combos sometimes become somehow repetitive. At the same time it's been a joy playing through it and even though it has some ups and downs, my overall feeling towards this game is very positive. We are going to see from now on and since MGS4 more and more argument oriented and movie like games as it seems the overall goal of every game designer is to become sort of a movie director. We have seen such trend happening in the past with interactive adventures such as Dragons Lair and it is likely to come back as well. This game is flawed in the sense that is neither an anime nor a video game but somehow manages to draw from both genres and deliver a product that for me was a likable experience that leaves a nice aftertaste. From the point of view of an anime you could expect more juice and for the same reason you should expect more out for the video game. One think that I hated from it is new fad of giving you content that should be there in the game in the form of a DLC, it's a rip off and inexcusable, that's why I rented instead of bought this game in the first place. Capcom doesn't care at all for customer satisfaction, and when they still deliver good products will do fine, but as soon as their franchises start failing fans will turn against them and in the end is US the hardcore gamers the ones who keep this industry alive. Lucasarts can be anyone. Expand
  25. Nov 9, 2014
    Main game is 8/10. Real ending DLC is 10/10 and is what makes the game worth purchasing. Basically an over the top anime, with a really rage inducing story.
  26. Aug 1, 2014
    One of the most underrated games i have ever played. Asura's Wrath can be summed up in two words: an Epic Experience. If you are an anime fan of any sort, this is a must buy. This is one of the few games i can actually skip past the gameplay and get invested in the story.

The story is just great. Everything is just so enthralling and engaging that you will feel engaged to the story from beginning to end. There are so many epic moments i can't count them all at the top of my head. The story is also pretty damn sad and tragic to the point that there were moments i started to tear up. The characters are well done. There is the extremely relatable and badass protagonist, the very cool anti-hero, the cool bad guy, emotional helpers to the hero and the bad guy you hate and they are all done well.

The music is some of the best music i have ever heard in a video game. Wind Fang and Vajra Deus vs Vajra Asura alone are just two examples of how great this soundtrack is and it makes every scene even more epic than it usually is.

I honestly don't know why this game got hate from reviews. If you know you are going to experience more of an anime instead of a game, why hate on it. Every single aspect of this game is done extremely well. If The Walking Dead did it and got away with it, why can't Asura's Wrath? However, this is a game that you need to play for yourself to see if you like the game or not. I highly recommend this game to anyone interested in a literal "epic".
  27. Jul 13, 2014
    If you're one who considers themselves into "Hype" or just all out over the top action on a literally EPIC scale, this game scratches that niche, although the gameplay is rough for some to look past, it is not abysmal and can still feel very rewarding at times, although the fodder enemy fights as filler DO become a grind, the boss fights and cinematics are where this game really kicks itIf you're one who considers themselves into "Hype" or just all out over the top action on a literally EPIC scale, this game scratches that niche, although the gameplay is rough for some to look past, it is not abysmal and can still feel very rewarding at times, although the fodder enemy fights as filler DO become a grind, the boss fights and cinematics are where this game really kicks it off, and it only gets bigger as you go, although completed in a day, you'll feel as though you've finished an entire anime, if you're into anime like Gurren Lagann, where things just get crazier and bigger and just ridiculously cool, give it a shot, if the gameplay isn't your thing, the story may just keep you locked in. All in all, get it for cheap, but not dirt cheap definitely a fantastic story with a thrilling soundtrack and art style to go with it, something new and fresh, but the gameplay is not for everybody, if you're looking for a cinematic heavy game with a story to tell this is definitely something to look at. A story of truly epic proportion. Expand
  28. Aug 29, 2014
    The story of Asura's wrath is about a demigod who has had his wife and child taken from him and now he is on a rampage to kill the other sef-proclaimed deities. Sound familiar? God of War, maybe? Asura's wrath certainly seems like a God of War game that is inspired by Japanese mythology instead of Greek mythology at first, but as you play you soon realize that it has its own unique style.The story of Asura's wrath is about a demigod who has had his wife and child taken from him and now he is on a rampage to kill the other sef-proclaimed deities. Sound familiar? God of War, maybe? Asura's wrath certainly seems like a God of War game that is inspired by Japanese mythology instead of Greek mythology at first, but as you play you soon realize that it has its own unique style. The visuals in this game is incredible to say the least! The art-style in this game is spectacular and seamlessly blends Japanese fantasy and science fiction into one of the most stunning games to look at. The gameplay is great too. Asura's wrath cleverly blends action, beat em up, and quick timed events into a cohesive interactive anime. However the game does have its faults. One of the biggest problems I had with the game were the characters. Aside from just not being that likeable, I have never seen more static group of characters in my life. Characters are suppose to be dynamic and develop as the story progresses, but these characters are flat! Asura remains the same throughout the whole story and solves all of his problems by breaking stuff.And I know what you're thinking, "But all Kratos does is break stuff," and yes that's true but Kratos actually has layers to him. Kratos shows mixed emotions towards the deeds he has done, and you see him suffer and regret the decisions he's made. But all this game teaches is that to fix your problems, all you need to do is get angry! I know that the characters are suppose to represent the seven deadly sins, and I know that Asura's suppose to represent the sin of wrath. I get that. Bu you could atleast make it a sin! If you take away his anger, Asura is just an impulsive child who throws a temper-tantrum whenever he doesn't get what he wants. I understand that they're suppose to represent the seven deadly sins, but that doesn't mean that that has to be their only personality trait. Over all Asura's wrath is an amazing game that looks and plays great, but the characters and story leaves much to be desired. Expand
  29. Aug 26, 2016
    Подача сюжета, боёвка. тема изгоя, всё шикарно. Очень эпично, красиво, интересно и захватывающе. Игра в которую, и играть приятно, и послевкусие тоже хорошее.
  30. Oct 7, 2015
    This game is amazing for people who know anime. I recommend to play this game for it's story and gameplay style as well. If your into a game where you have to be brute, straight forward and be a bad ass main character, then this is the game for you. Try it out on the demo where you fight against memorable foes that made me sold to buy this game. You also get the quick time events in theThis game is amazing for people who know anime. I recommend to play this game for it's story and gameplay style as well. If your into a game where you have to be brute, straight forward and be a bad ass main character, then this is the game for you. Try it out on the demo where you fight against memorable foes that made me sold to buy this game. You also get the quick time events in the cut scenes plus in the gameplay itself that will give you the feel your inside the story it self battling and throwing punches at your enemy that gives a satisfying feel to it. It also happens in the gameplay itself which will reward you greatly how you counter attack your enemies for a major crushing blow. So once again, if your into anime fighting style games, I really recommend you get one from amazon.com. Expand
  31. Mar 3, 2012

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 11, 2012
    [W]e put the controller down (during a 'gameplay' sequence) and watched in stunned frustration as the game continued on happily playing itself for six minutes. It's inconceivable that there are gameplay levels that cannot be failed or be changed by your actions. Even Dragon's Lair, the game that birthed the concept 29 years ago, had consequences. [April 2012, p66]
  2. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Apr 2, 2012
    Those who do not care about the crazy Japanese aesthetics or the not so subtle references to popular anime, may ask them the question if the actual gameplay is any good at all. Well, it is. Sort of. [April 2012, p.66]
  3. Play UK