6.0

1. Jul 31, 2011
    I'm not going to lie I haven't played the pre-Iris days of this franchise. Mana Khemia was what got me into this series. Now I don't mind not having to save the word or playing a game where I'm not going on some grand quest. For the most part you'll be finding ingredients to make a bunch of things for a kingdom, some of your friends, and other people. And I'd be perfectly content doingI'm not going to lie I haven't played the pre-Iris days of this franchise. Mana Khemia was what got me into this series. Now I don't mind not having to save the word or playing a game where I'm not going on some grand quest. For the most part you'll be finding ingredients to make a bunch of things for a kingdom, some of your friends, and other people. And I'd be perfectly content doing that. However this game walks in with a serve injury that cripples it the entire time. The imposing time limit which is attached to everything you do. I could only play this game for 4 hours before the seer claustrophobic feeling made never want to touch it again which really is a shame since I might have liked everything else the game had to offer. Now for those who can handle the overbearing feeling of time may enjoy this but I wouldn't recommend this game purely for how overbearing the time limits are. Expand
  2. Oct 21, 2010
    A charming cast of characters and entertaining script elevate this RPG above the crowd. If you're looking for a save the world story, look elsewhere but if you love character interaction and lovable personalities this is top drawer stuff. As with most Gust games it also boasts a fantastic soundtrack.

In gameplay terms the battle system is quite average, standard fare turn based combat. Thankfully combat is not the core of this game. Instead the item synthesis system takes center stage and this is incredibly well fleshed out. The game employs an addictive time management system where you'll hunt for ingredients, use these ingredients to make items, and use these items to fulfil requests for townspeople, improving your reputation and unlocking further quests.

Overall a fun slice of life piece of pure enjoyment, free of the melodrama so many RPGs are plagued with.
  3. Jan 23, 2011
    Great JRPG game!! Sure the background are simple texture but the cel-shaded 3D is excellent and most of the time it's 60fps @ 1080p!! The hand drawn artwork are nice, the music is catchy and the story is simple and fun... for any true JRPG fans out there, I recommend this game!! This game has a time limit as you need to complete assignments and such at a certain time. If you love to mixGreat JRPG game!! Sure the background are simple texture but the cel-shaded 3D is excellent and most of the time it's 60fps @ 1080p!! The hand drawn artwork are nice, the music is catchy and the story is simple and fun... for any true JRPG fans out there, I recommend this game!! This game has a time limit as you need to complete assignments and such at a certain time. If you love to mix things and Alchemy is one of the skills you enjoy, this game has it all... Expand
  4. Sep 9, 2011
    Absolutely charming. The looks might be simple in terms of graphical tech but the art direction is great and the characters are really fun and charming plus the OST is amazing. This game focuses on character relations (also determines multiple endings, which adds lots of replay) and synthesizing. The synthesizing is deep and very addicting but does incorporate time management, so if youAbsolutely charming. The looks might be simple in terms of graphical tech but the art direction is great and the characters are really fun and charming plus the OST is amazing. This game focuses on character relations (also determines multiple endings, which adds lots of replay) and synthesizing. The synthesizing is deep and very addicting but does incorporate time management, so if you hate time management better stay away. Combat is very minimal and used only to simulate light dungeon crawling to gather materials to synthesize. If you are expecting a more traditional fight oriented JRPG like the atelier iris games you might want to look elsewhere as the iris series is completely different focus, this game is more like the original atelier games. Also this a planned trilogy so if you like it you can watch your fav characters grow and see new characters added to the family with each installment. If you enjoy simple relaxing story with slice of life feel, great character interactions and addictive gameplay then you should check it out. This game was just a relaxing refreshing experience and very welcome to this gen. I loved it. Expand
  5. Nov 3, 2010
    Atelier Rorona is a throwback to the pre-Iris days of the franchise, when the management of time, alchemic resources and money was the center of the experience and not simply a feature (albeit a prominent one) in an otherwise traditional turn based JRPG. In Rorona you have no great, epic quest, nor evil opponents: it is the story of a young alchemist apprentice striving to save herAtelier Rorona is a throwback to the pre-Iris days of the franchise, when the management of time, alchemic resources and money was the center of the experience and not simply a feature (albeit a prominent one) in an otherwise traditional turn based JRPG. In Rorona you have no great, epic quest, nor evil opponents: it is the story of a young alchemist apprentice striving to save her workshop during a three-years period, performing quests given her by the Kingdom to prove her usefulness. The slice of life atmosphere of the plot, coupled with the sheer number of things to do (kingdom quests, quests for the citizens of Arland, quests for other characters etc, not to mention little plot branches and many different endings) manages to give the game an unique identity (at least if you haven't played the japanese pre-Iris Atelier or Ds' Atelier Annie) and, even if some features could have been better (the battle system is a little on the simplistic side), Rorona is an highly enjoyable experience provided you don't expect a traditional JRPG formula. Expand
  6. Oct 4, 2010
    One play-through and I still couldn't understand where the critics' praise for the company's graphical transition comes from. Sure, the game doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look good either. The 'vibrant' town were of a bunch of low poly blobs and awkward textures with far too many invisible walls. The dungeons were okay but the battle environment was just downright painful to look at.One play-through and I still couldn't understand where the critics' praise for the company's graphical transition comes from. Sure, the game doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look good either. The 'vibrant' town were of a bunch of low poly blobs and awkward textures with far too many invisible walls. The dungeons were okay but the battle environment was just downright painful to look at. Battle animation was nothing to write anywhere about. The character models look nice, but you'll always feel like you should've been able to play a little dress-up now and then.

That said, the game was immensely enjoyable, soothing and relaxing, perfect for a weekend break or an evening after a hard day. Alchemy is fun, and as you progress into the game, each success really feels like a success. Also of note are the sprites used in conversation, Rorona has some of the most beautifully composed cleavage which will have you staring for a long long time. ;)

In summary, there are things which could have been better but Atelier Rorona does what it does just right.
  7. Oct 8, 2011
    Although graphically poor, Atelier Rorona is quite innovative since no Atelier game made it to Europe before. The crafting system is really hooking and makes your brain overheat at times. Character design is fabulous (NISA really rocks for that). The sense of humor is brilliant, I had a lot of laugh quite of few times, which doesn't happen that much in today's JRPGs. Time and progessionAlthough graphically poor, Atelier Rorona is quite innovative since no Atelier game made it to Europe before. The crafting system is really hooking and makes your brain overheat at times. Character design is fabulous (NISA really rocks for that). The sense of humor is brilliant, I had a lot of laugh quite of few times, which doesn't happen that much in today's JRPGs. Time and progession system are also pretty good, since it makes the difficulty very well balanced. Expand
  8. Apr 17, 2013
    The Gust games have become a true favorite of mine, and Atelier Rorona is one of my absolute favorites among all RPGs for combining a fun and engaging alchemy system to play with while flooding the world with lovable and humorous characters.

The Atelier games are, at their core, probably more aimed at a female crowd than most RPGs, (and Rorona isn't just a female lead, she even wears pink!) and it's obvious that not everyone seems to care for trying something different, but if you have ever enjoyed a game's crafting system for its own sake rather than just to get something out of it, then this game is built specifically to cater to the player who enjoys building more than smashing things. (As well as humorous vignettes about pies that come to life and attack their creator afterwards.)

Overall, there are few flaws with this game, (It does become annoying to try to get all the endings, since you have to go back a whole third of the game to try to unqualify yourself for some of the endings to see the endings that have lower priority.) but I can happily call it one of the most engaging games I've ever played, and something that any serious RPG player should try, just to experience something different. In many cases, most of the negative reviews I see for this game are based simply upon its difference, and it's a shame to see it that way. Rorona and Gust in general have a lot to teach the RPG community, and it's a pity that the game isn't approached with a willingness to try something a little different.
  9. Aug 12, 2013
    No normal story script. More and more "grinding" endings and a pack of "grinding" character endings. When they finally come to that one and the same gameplay for 10-40 hours and a billion and one ending of 1 minute is not fun!
    It looks like Atelier Iris 2 was the last good game. Atelier Iris 3, Atelier Annie, Mana Khemia monotonous, plotless garbage. If theirs gameplay have sense in Atelier Annie, because Annie is portable on NDS, bu in the game for $60 for the PS3 is a little too carelessly.

Only music and 2D art is good.
  10. Oct 18, 2013
    I like this game. It is my first atelier game, and I dont normally play that type of game. But I really liked the lightness of it, it's a great break from action and difficult titles that I am used to playing.

The characters are the main part of this game I think, and they are great. The rumours really are true about Gusts character design. The gameplay, well the combat was average. I

The gameplay, well the combat was average. I think its a common problem with these types of games also, but you can't really play them without reading a guide looking for the "flags". The alchemy system is pretty good and deep, because the games emphasis is on it.

Yeah... I want to write more, but theres not much to really write about. It's just a nice break from normal games, very cute and charming with a light storyline. Many endings for people who like that, but personally I dislike that level of grinding.
  11. Dec 15, 2014
    Breaking down the parts of the game to understand why the game sucks.

Story: Zero originality, cliched story about a useless girl attempting to do alchemy and succeeding. Many endings, but, as nonsensical as they come. The story didn't got me interested. I felt more of a chore to complete the tasks and even I felt bored while playing. 0/10 points in this department. Graphics: While
    Breaking down the parts of the game to understand why the game sucks.

Graphics: While they look nice, I do not like the way they were done and how they were used more for giving fan service. 0/10

Music: I'll be honest, I didn't listen to the intro at all... boring music and boring intro. 0/10

Characters: The heroine is bland, boring and cliched. While some have quirks they quickly fall into pre established cliches. 0/10

Overall: This game started the descent of the series into degenerating into games released only to please otakus or people that like fan service. I will deny that the Atelier Iris ever came to Ps3 and continue to state that the GOOD Atelier Iris games stopped at Mana Khemia 2.

1. Feb 8, 2011
    Don't underestimate this game: time will be your worst enemy, and you'll learn to fear the ticking clock. Run Rorona, run!
  2. Jan 15, 2011
    Beyond its addictive crafting system, Atelier Rorona doesn't unfortunately possess anything capable of arousing interest of those gamers who aren't familiar with these kind of jRPGs. However, if you define yourself as fan of the genre, you should definitely consider this purchase.
  3. Jan 12, 2011
    There's light and shadow within Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland. While the presentation as well as the fighting system are a good approach for children, the alchemy system is hard as a rock. WTF dialogue accompanies the game, and so it's not worth a recommendation.