4.7

1. Feb 23, 2013
    First of all, this game has some really good physics. When you're driving down a straight, you hear the shock absorbers soaking up the bumps. You're really at the edge of control, even on straights. Many reviewers complain about this game being "too hard", but no, it isn't. This isn't a game where you're supposed to nail a race on your first try. You're supposed to learn the differentFirst of all, this game has some really good physics. When you're driving down a straight, you hear the shock absorbers soaking up the bumps. You're really at the edge of control, even on straights. Many reviewers complain about this game being "too hard", but no, it isn't. This isn't a game where you're supposed to nail a race on your first try. You're supposed to learn the different environments and know the courses. You should learn what speed you need to make that jump, and what line you should take through that corner.

The sponsorship feature of this game is also a neat thing, although not as good as the one in Racedriver: GRID, it still cuts it.

However, there are a few problems with this game. First off, the visuals are somewhat mediocre, and the FPS in the garage is very low, and also gave me a headache the first time I played. The FPS is quite good while actually driving though, so it isn't a massive problem.

The AI in this game is, in some areas, pretty good, but in others, pretty bad. It does feel like they're driving the same vehicle as you, and I couldn't tell if they were definitely faster/slower than you. They don't seem to be aware of each others presence, and often trade paint in the corners. One thing I do like about the AI, is that if you come up behind a slower vehicle in for example a rally event, you can use your horn, and they will most likely pull to the side and let you pass.

While this game has many weak areas, the overall experience for me was very good. This game is vastly impressive by such a small development team. In my opinion, a 8/10 is well deserved for this game.

TIP: I found driving in 3rd person nearly impossible, and really boring. Try driving in "Hood View", it really helped me a lot.
  2. Sep 21, 2011
    From reading Dev diaries and interviews I understand how much work goes into making a game and I understand that not all games can be great. Sadly this game just didn't do it for me. It didn't grab me from the outset and the experience was very empty. However my young nephew can't get enough of it . He loves bouncing arcoss the sand and flying through air, so that I +1 to my score :)

1. Every vehicle slides around every turn with an alarming lack of control. [Nov 2008, p.79]
    You are almost always riding the finest line between screaming along somewhat stably and totally losing it, and in that sense, Baja succeeds tremendously. Those kinds of stakes may not appeal to everyone, however, and the majority of people who tend to like finishing races may not need all of the incredible realism that an intense sim like Baja has to offer.
    At times, it’s an edge-of your seat experience that gives you a sense of accomplishment for sliding across the finish line in one piece. Other times, it’s a confounding mix of erratic handling, insane difficulty and drab repetition.