8.5

1. Nov 9, 2011
    what a game!..this is everything a sequel should be, it is truly magnificent..this game will keep you coming back to play it one more time even after the story is finished there is still so much more to complete, thats a sign of a great game.This has got to be GOTY..graphics are awesome , voice acting is awesome, game play is awesome. story is awesome..I read that this game is what it means to be Batman, and thats so true..go buy it! Expand
  2. Dec 29, 2011
    SO this is how Super Hero game get made. Rocksteady does it again and even better this time around! Love everything about this game and if you liked the first one there is just more batman here to love.. not to mention the catwoman missions. also robin and nightwing depending on what copy you bought but all available as DLC. At first I was a bit taken aback at how small the open world of Arkham City is compared to other open worlds, even it's predecessor. But once you start playing you realize it is bigger than the map shows. Lots of interiors to explore and all the space inside and out is so jam packed with stuff to do that it becomes a lot bigger. Quite the opposite of something like Just Cause 2 where there is largely dead space on a huge map, This is a smaller map with TONS of things to do. Then add in the challenge maps and you have one hefty game. The characters are great and so is the story. This is a must buy for any fan of Batman, the series or open world adventure games. Expand
  3. Jul 12, 2012
    The best Batman Game ever made.I got the goty edition on ps3 but played Arkham city when it first came out on xbox 360.so I got the goty edition for my ps3 and this is still the most amazing game ever made.the story and graphics are superb and the gameplay is just amazing.you must play this game.
  4. Dec 9, 2011
    I rarely write reviews but i have been playing arkham city for about ten days now and seriously this game is a masterpeice i cant beleive you can sink so many hours into this brawler!!

my actual score is a 9.8 given a 10 would be sth from the mgs series of ff 7,9 this goes straight in to my top 10 list of all time with the likes of only demon or dark souls from this generation.

the
    amount of content on this disc is incredible yet the level of polish is extraordinary i would give this game a perfect ten if the story was more coherent and the graphics weren t built on unreal engine dont get me wrong the game looks terrific i m just not a fan of this engines graphics (personal opinion) the story is good but i feel arkham asylum did it better it was simply put more focused.

The combat, the challenges, Side missions, ARKHAM CITY all that a perfect ten for me this actually deserves a collectors edition!!
  5. Nov 24, 2011
    Arkham City is truly a superb game, for both normal gamers and die hard comic fans. The game has fluid gameplay with an excellent combat system that can be as deep as you want to take it, and moving around the map is a breeze once you obtain certain upgrades. The graphics are beautiful and the voice acting is top notch, as Batman and his rogues gallery are all brought to life in satisfying fashion, and the story is one of the best Batman tales you'll find. There is a lot of fan service to comic readers that makes the experience that much richer for them, but doesn't drag down the game for anyone who is unfamiliar with Batman lore. There are an incredible number of villains that make an appearance, but the story plays out in a way that none of them are present just for the sake of throwing them in. Just when you think you've encountered everything Arkham City has to offer, you find another hidden portion that blows your mind. Arkham City is by far the best game to come out this year, and is a must play for everyone, whether or not you played Arkham Asylum. Expand
  6. Nov 23, 2011
    "Perfect" is as close to a description as your going to get with this game, though it isn't quite that, but going any lower can't be done with this game. Arkham Asylum was one of my favorite games, giving me the power of batman with all his gadgets, strength, smarts, and more importantly his morals. Arkham City follows on every aspect in that and adds much more. I loved it from start to finish, but there were times where i felt that it could have done more with the villains. There were plenty of them, ranging from the well known Gotham faces such as Joker and Penguin, to the almost unknown Mad Hatter and Dead Shot. It's the many cameos that ruin it though, very few get any real time on screen and when they do its rarely a memorable moment. You will smile, cringe, or chuckle at them being there, but something new will appear and will move on. But that is my only problem with this game, there is nothing else i don't like. The combat is fast, powerful, and makes you feel like the Dark Knight is in control. The visuals of this game are awe-inspiring, sometimes its enough to make you just wana stop and look at it for a moment. Voice acting is a major step up this time, which every person in the game giving it a Oscar worthy sound. Mark Hamill steals the show as Joker, who is having problems after the first game, and Nolan North as Penguin is just as good to. The open world of Arkham City is a true open world experience as well, with the intensive being Riddler placing over 400+ trophies for you to find. Sadly Scarecrow does not make a return, and while those shoes...if he had any, are hard to fill, Riddler himself makes an appearance that is as memorable as any in the game. The story is vast and worth every minute of your time, but cameos are many and never given much time. Even Robin has one, but like the rest is only brief and just there to make you smile. Batman: Arkham City is worth you time and money though, be it if your a comic book lover, action game lover, or just someone who wants a great game for Christmas, you can't go wrong with this. Expand
  7. Apr 1, 2012
    When people thought Rocksteady have reached their peak with Arkham Asylum, it was pleasent to see that Arkham City managed to be as good, and even better then it's predecessor. The core mechanics of the game are nearly identical to Arkham Asylum's, but the new huge city and the veriety of new villians and superheroes create a bigger impact that makes Arkham City more exciting. Truthfuly, the game is massive, and you can spend dozens of hours just gathering the Riddler's trophys and solving his puzzles, but the game also boasts many fantastic side missions that are heavily relying on the main story. Since the game is based on a comic series, it was much easier to connect between different characters to create new side storys. The game also genuianly makes you feel like you are Batman. You get all the possible gadgets, and you can pull off amazing stunts. I can also mention the accurate voice acting and incredible soundtrack, or perhaps the top notch graphics, but the thing that makes this game outshine most action games nowadays is the flow. The game let's you move at your own speed and move from mission to mission fluidly and comfortably. That gives the game a flare that only a great sandbox game can deliever, but it also has the qualities that most sandbox games don't reach. Rocksteady have trully pulled off something magnificent with Arkham City.Hell, Even non-fans of Batman will appreciate this game, because it manages to do so much and do it the best way it can. Expand
  8. USG
    Nov 21, 2011
    Arkham City is a stellar game that improves on Arkham Asylum featuring a fantastic open world and familiar, great voice acting by much of the cast from Batman: The Animated Series (notably Mark Hamill as the Joker). The scenery is fantastic and gliding between missions is an enjoyable experience. The gameplay is extremely smooth and complimented with competent difficulty settings and various missions. Unfortunately, the story mode could be longer considering its engagement (and, of course, the entire game is single player). There are not enough side-missions to keep a player around long once the game is finished. Gathering Riddler trophies can become an unpleasurable task at the end of the game preventing some players to keep at it. Downloadable content keeps the player active for longer, but not too long. By the time the story is finished along with all side-missions and gadget upgrades, there is not much motivation to continue in the city. Otherwise, anybody who has an interest for Batman would find this game great, with dialog from the characters to models. Expand
  9. Feb 23, 2012
    A must buy for gamers. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Expand
  10. Apr 26, 2014
    Rocksteady Studios takes everything that was great about it's first Batman game and applies it all to an open-world. It's clear that Rocksteady was trying to best their previous outing in every way, and by doing so they have created one of the best Batman games yet created. With one of the best Batman stories ever told, a large amount of content, and tons of new gameplay elements, this is sure to please any Batman fan out there.

One thing that is noticeable shortly after starting is that Arkham City features much more life then the asylum. Thugs patrol streets and rooftops, political prisoners fight for survival, and classic Batman villains wreak havoc throughout the city. This makes little things like listening to thugs talk about the current events going on the city a real treat. While I prefer the atmosphere and locations Arkham Asylum had, the city is still a cool place to explore that is filled with secrets. Various side-qests are available that will place Batman up against classic foes, which lead to some incredibly memorable moments. There are also an insane amount of Riddler challenges and trophies to acquire. As far as side content goes Rocksteady has it covered, so there are plenty of reasons to come back after the credits have rolled.

The main campaign is an absolute blast that is filled with tons of villains and unforgettable moments. It takes a little bit to get going, but one it does it does not stop. The boss battles are fantastic, and show a lot of diversity. I do feel that it was shorter than Arkham Asylum's story, but I'm thankful that Rocksteady didn't add any unnecessary content.

The only real complaints I have with the game are a few irritating combat scenarios and some control design choices. For instance, why do I have to double-tap and hold the X button to make the grappling hook climb faster when in the previous game simply holding X would do it? Sure it takes on a new role, but simply holding X would have made things simpler. This is just one of the minor complaints I have with the game, and overall it and my other ones don't really matter. This is one fantastic game, and one any Batman fan should play pronto. Rocksteady outdid themselves with this one, and while I do prefer it's predecessor, I will in no way deny this game's high-level of quality. It is truly a must play experience.
  11. Dec 7, 2011
    ATTENTION USERS! BEWARE! I just found two reviews posted in my name that I did not wrote. One of them, I haven't even played the game. Don't know how it happened, if someone hacked my account or my informations were given away. Anyway, check your reviews and ratings, see if everything is right. (sorry to do this as a review, but it was the only way I found). Batman is a superb game, by the way.
  12. Nov 26, 2011
    Arkham City isn't only fun but has a beautiful story, awesome characters and an interesting environment to explore. Unlike its predecessor, this game gives you much more to do after beating the main story. I really have nothing to say, I gave it a 10 and its perfect for me.
  13. Jan 8, 2012
    Batman Arkham City delivers and meets everyones expectations. Thanks to a bigger scope, while still remaining an alive and detailed comic book world, improved combat, a deeper story, a jaw dropping ending, and tons of replay value, Batman Arkham City is not only one of the best games of the year, but it's also the best licensed video game ever made.
  14. Jan 28, 2012
    if u love action and advancer with a lot of fighting you'll love batman Arkham city. even if your not a really big batman fan i really do recomand this game for people that whant to have a good time kicking but.
  15. Jan 24, 2012
    This game looks awesome and it is fun to play. the developer keeps the success story from arkham asylum witch was a really awesome game. The game looks sleek, it runs smooth, the missions and quest are fun and you will spend some serious time getting the riddlers riddle`s done. The game is overall awesome and should be in every gamers collection.
  16. Nov 18, 2012
    un videogioco senza pari. bellissimo, rifinito, vario , pieno, rifinito in ogni suo aspetto e con un sacco di cose belle e diverse da fare. buona anche la storia, caratterizzazione dei personaggi da OSCAR, combat-system che fà risultare ridicolo e stupido quello di un qualsiasi assassins's creed. che altro dire, l'action migliore su console degli ultimi anni. non credo vi siano dubbi al riguardo.

semplicemente insuperabile, voto pieno e non potrebbe essere altrimenti.
  17. Dec 29, 2012
    I loved this game. Even if you are not a Batman fun you will love this game because it has every ingredient an action game should have:a perfect mix of funny combat and puzzles, great story and characters and the all the "dark knight" feeling. The combat system is one the best i've seen in action games and you will enjoy every fight you get into. I don't give it a 10 just because some part can be too difficult and annoying even for a skilled gamer. Expand
  18. Nov 10, 2011
    The characters the plot the game play the storyline the music are AMAZING in this game. I would not say it would be my game of the year but it was ones that were pretty much on top way to go rocksteady keep those batmans coming.
  19. Dec 13, 2011
    WOW. I am so impressed by this game. Story: 10/10. Very compelling, with twists and turns. As a huge fan of the realism bent taken by the Nolan films, I am surprised by how much I love the comic book style story. You don't have to be a comic-book junkie to be engrossed in the narrative. What's even more surprising is that the freedom provided by the sand-box-esque gameplay does not ruin the game's pacing. I love Red Dead and wouldn't change a thing but the enjoyable freedom that game's open world provides does stifle the pacing of its story. It was a necessary trade off that I thought would extend to all games that gave you a sandbox with a compelling main story. However, with this game--whether it's because of the smaller size of the Arkham City or because the excellent score engenders a perpetual exigence--you always feel that sense of urgency even when you tangent from the main storyline. Bravo Rocksteady! UI: 11/10. This game does what I once thought impossible: it makes a challenging game accessible. Remember those badass nes games? Ninja Gaiden, Bionic Commando, Tyson's Punchout. I only beat Tyson once and could never beat those other grueling games. I'm not hardcore enough. No demon souls for me. There are some incredibly challenging sections in Arkham City (especially on the second play-through) but even though I had to die several times to overcome them, I was never discouraged. In fact, with each defeat I was actually encouraged, seeing what I did wrong immediately and eager to give it another go. That may be a normal paradigm for the hardcore demon souls playing crowd but I'm a difficulty-wuss (i play mostly for the story) and I loved every challenging inch of this game. What started as a facile button masher became an incredibly tactical stealth action thriller. I can't tout the game-play enough: you'll start simply mashing buttons but feel like an expert and yet you'll evolve into a truly cerebral tactician. RECOMMENDATION: buy now! You must play this game. I normally would never pay release-day-prices for a non-40+-RPG, usually waiting for a sub-40 dollar (US) price point but Arkham City is worth the full $65 price-tag (though by now it's surely dropped). Batman AC is my GOTY Expand
  20. Nov 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Epic game.Better than the Arkham asylum.Very strong storie.I think Batman Arkham city is the best Batman,including the moovies.For the moment,game of the year. Expand
  21. Aug 2, 2012
    A MUCH better game than Asylum. I always disliked Asylum because it felt so enclosed, and whilst the gameplay and plot were solid, I just detested traipsing across the asylum trying to find out where to go. The free roam Arkham City is a much better place to traverse, as there is always something to do, even after the main plot finishes. The gameplay has definitely improved and the plot is still well written if a little ridiculous. I'm not a big fan of Batman, but I still love this game. Expand
  22. Dec 11, 2011
    This game is amazing, the combat is improved over the last game with countering easier and doing the same thing making each mission more challenging and forcing you to change your tactics. The Catwoman segments though are short and lackluster and sort of have the quasi-sexist leanings as Catwoman tries to deal with her foe but then gets tied up for most of the game, she only has two short missions and no side missions of her own so all you'll get to do with her is free-roam after you've finished her main missions, and even then she lacks all the gadgets Batman has so she can't go to as many places or do as much, especially inverted takendown from gargoyles I had gotten used to that with Batman and was mad I couldn't do it with Catwoman. Still combat with is fun as hell, and walking on the roof has its merits too. Batman himself on the other hand has multiple side missions and longer and more main missions, all of which are beautifally done.

This game is great and fun, there is one problem however, getting to places takes forever and it's easy to get lost trying to navigate out of a building (it's better than Asylum which didn't have a compass on the HUD). I got Asylum with this game and I read an article on Cracked about how some games are being used as human testing, like say skinner boxes where the subject is forced to do boring and mundane tasks in order to get to its designed prize (usually done with mice and food) so that it appreciates and enjoys the prize more and how this was being done in video games, playing both I start to see that may be why this game is so good and held up so highly, that if it wasn't wasting your time with complicated buildings along with making you get to places that it probably won't be as good. Scary stuff.
  23. May 29, 2012
    For every Batman fan it is must that they play this game. Batman Arkham City has a very large world concsiced in a game.It probably has the best gameplay expierience in the world . The sound,display,picture quality is just awesome .So if you're a Batman fan then you should expierince this game at least once.
  24. Jan 1, 2012
    This game is brilliant. Probably one of my all time favourites. The way this game responds and acts is almost perfect, i loved it. It has all the character's we love and they have great voices and fleshed out properly. The combat is great and i never really got sick of it. The enemies are varied. But the best part is the story, Batman going into Arkham City, trying to work out what the evil villains are planning and it good to see how the react to one another. Everything feel like it should. And Catwoman short-lived campaign is so great. She just feels like Catwoman should and she quick and flexible and she has a pretty good voice actress that i loved her as a character. The game is great, Rocksteady treated these characters with such respect the deserve and this game I will remember for a long time. 10/10 Expand
  25. Nov 21, 2011
    Rocksteady games proved that it was possible to make a good Batman game-a really good Batman game, in 2009 with Batman: Arkham Asylum. Was it possible, though, to make a Batman game that could (gasp) garner Game of the Year status? The answer is, yes, sweet lord yes. The beginning of the game reveals a pretty big twist. Hugo Strange, the big bad guy, knows Batman's identity. He quickly throws Bruce Wayne in the sprawling mega-prison Arkham City, and the player says goodbye to life for a few months. A huge amount of villains appear right at the start. Black Mask, The Penguin (voiced by Nolan "I'm in everything" North), Catwoman, and Two-Face, Harley Quinn, and the Joker all appear in the first half-hour. Just like in the previous installment, the animated show's actors voice their respective characters. Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill, there all here. This is, by the way, Hamill's last performance as The Joker. And oh, what a glorious finale he had. The greatest character by far, though, is the city itself. So many secrets are hidden in this gothic wonderland that you'll be in your underwear lying in the dark with controller in hand for months. I know I have. The story is the best though, and it plays like a graphic novel. Every situation has you saying "Wow, that's my new favorite part." Your favorite part will undoubtedly be the ending though, it's got to be one of the greatest endings in video game history. plot twist after plot twist after plot twist pile up and you'll be in awe at the last, say, ten minutes. This is not just a great Batman game, it's a great Batman experience. Expand
  26. Nov 12, 2011
    The moment you step foot into Arkham city you know the scale is incredible. The entire city just embodies the spirit of Batman. Exploring all the nooks and crannies can result in countless lost hours that you'll enjoy ! Character models are diverse and the story picks up right where Arkham asylum left off. Controls are tight and the skill tree can help you shape Batman's move and gadget set the way you see fit.

I couldn't give the game a 9.5 like I wanted so I rounded up, and the only reason I can't regard this as a 10 of 10 is because the character cramming. To me it seemed to me like they wanted to put every face possible regardless if they had anything to do with the story. But a minor complaint I suppose, also the combat system to me is hard to perfect. It seemed like sometimes I kept combos going easily, and other times for no explainable reason my combos were debunked.

All in all this is a must own game for any system you have, If you haven't played Arkham asylum you should. If you haven't played a good Batman game than you've never played this series. This is hands down the most incredible Batman game series ever made!
  27. Apr 9, 2012
    Must have game for PS3 (not for XBox :P). The first aspect i want to cover is the amazing storyline. Then the graphics. Batman looks so awesome in it. The gameplay is good and is about 8 hours long. Overall it's one of the best games for the year 2011 and Batman fans would die for it.
  28. Nov 8, 2011
    Possibly one of the best games I have ever played. I don't know why anyone would give this game a negative review...drugs maybe. This game will have you truly feeling like the Dark Knight and is an absolute thrill ride from beginning to end. If I had a single complaint, it would be that there are just too many riddler puzzles, over 400, but I don't let that keep me from giving this game a 10/10!
  29. Nov 13, 2011
    A perfect open world game with some of the best side missions ever in a video game. The combat has improved and the gadgets are more fun to use. The only thing I would liked to have seen would be more of certain villains like: Harley Quinn, Two-Face, Scarecrow, and Killer Croc. I find it hard to believe that anyone can give this game a bad review.
  30. Jan 28, 2012
    This review is from a non batman fan, There was nothing to else rent so I decided to "try" Batman: Arkham City. Thinking I would be turning the game off after 15 mins of play! But I was blown away. by the presentaion, the graphics, the open world, the depth of characters, the gameplay. Wow!! Just an amazing game!!!
  31. Dec 21, 2011
    Quite simply, this is why I play video games. In a sea of multiplayer titles, this gem immerses you into the beautifully dismal world of Gotham City, making YOU Batman while improving on it's nearly flawless 1st title (if that even seemed possible). I've played them all this year and BAC easily wins as game of the year. Absolutely everything Rocksteady throws at you is well conceived, ensuring a number of jaw-dropping moments that left me shaking my head with a childlike smile. Even if you're not a Bat-geek, you owe it to yourself to buy this game now, yes, now. Since GTA4, I've yet to wake up in the middle of the night and fire up my PS3 to continue the adventure. This game is easily a 10 (& I've only given MGS4 & GTA4 a 10 in my 25+ years as a gamer). Well done Rocksteady, you've finally made being a comic book hero a reality! Expand
  32. Dec 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best game I've ever played, best superhero game ever and most dramatic game in a wile. Because of jokers death. Why did they do it why. I hate them but still love this game. Best game ever. BUY IT, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  33. May 22, 2012
    Was hesitant to believe Rocksteady could outdo themselves after Batman Arkham Asylum, but clearly I was wrong. Bringing Batman into an open-world environment was exactly what this sequel needed. The story is strong, and the ending (no spoilers here) is fantastic and almost heart-wrenching for anyone who is a batman fan. The gameplay remains just as strong as it was in Asylum, and kicking the crap out of joker's henchmen is visually beautiful and smooth. The inclusion of Story+ just adds more to an already expansive game filled with hidden secrets and riddler trophies to attain. Nice job Rocksteady, can't wait to see what project you take up next! Expand
  34. Jul 23, 2012
    All the hype that has been going on about this game is very well deserved and it really is a 10/10. The reason I'm giving a 9 is because of the villains in the story. Since batman has some of the greatest bundle pack of villains you would expect a shocking impact if you heard that Bane, Mad Hatter, and Grundy appeared on the scene but instead they're really just for show.

THE
    *******ONLY******* CON THIS GAME HAS IS NOT MUCH DEPTH IN THE VILLAIN CATEGORY

this game is worth every penny and I highly reccomend to buy now that it's out on the market, the Game of the Year Ed.

BRAVO!!! ROCKSTEADY :)
  35. Nov 20, 2011
    I have been reading Batman comics for a long time now. The first Arkham game felt like they took all the good ideas from the past Batman games, and made it into a surprisingly great game. Arkham City did not disappoint; it expanded on the concepts from the first game and made it work in an open world game.

The voice acting is one of the highlights of the game. For those who grew up on
    Batman: The Animated Series, you will continue to enjoy Mark Hamill's Joker and Kevin Conroy's Batman. The actual Arkham City is a mix between the comic books and the Nolan films. The Boss battles have improved from the first game. My personal favorite is the one with Mr. Freeze since you have to attack him differently after each hit. You will need to how to master the combat rhythm, but soon after, you can beat 30 thugs without ever taking damage.

My one gripe is how the game flows with the Catwoman episodes downloaded. During single-player, the episodes kind of breaks the narrative flow of the main story. However, Catwoman is a fun character to play as. This game is probably the closest you can get to be Batman without training martial arts for years, breaking several laws and buying high tech gadgets.
  36. Nov 11, 2011
    Simply, this game is perfection. Arkham Asylum was a great game with great game-play, story, characters and it really made the player feel like the Dark Knight. Arkham City, however, is in a whole other league. The Batman experience in Arkham City is totally flawless. The story is darker then AA but so much more engrossing. There are far more characters that Rocksteady have totally redesigned to make them unique to this franchise and they all look incredible, especially the Joker. If you only have the money to buy one game this year then it should be Batman Arkham City. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  37. Nov 7, 2011
    Batman: Arkham City will prove to be one of the best video games ever made. Like Arkham Asylum, the core mechanics revolve around brawling, stealth takedowns and open-world action. The chain fighting is simple to learn, yet difficult to master. With a little proficiency, the game effectively gives you the exhilarating feeling that you've just beat up a room full of dudes. However, to really excel at the combat, it takes some practice. The stealth "predator" rooms pit the dark knight against a bunch of armed thugs. Since they have guns, you can't just take them out head-on. Rather, you've got to take them out one by one, retreating into the walls or atop gargoyles to stay out of sight. You're an invisible predator, and as you take down more enemies, the ones remaining start to freak out. It's really quite amusing. Unlike Arkham Asylum, the game is more open world. There are side-missions you can engage in whatever order you like. Where unnecessary to complete the story, these side missions are critical to leveling up more powerful attacks and armor. Not to mention that they're simply fun. Play as Catwoman. Catwoman missions could stand-alone as its own game. Where the controls are congruent to Batman (so you don't have to learn a whole new combat mechanic) she has her own style and way of moving and fighting that's quite a bunch of fun. It's also fun playing a character with a more mercenary sensibility.

But the over-arching quality that makes this game so terrific is that every aspect of it is FUN. Recently I've played games (like LA NOIRE) that, in my opinion, have oodles of technical merit but just aren't any fun. Batman is an exhilarating, no-sleep, kill-your-weekend thrill ride from start to finish.

If you've just bought your PS3 system, do yourself a solid and make BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY (along with Uncharted 2 and Bioshock) your first purchase.
  38. Nov 8, 2011
    Amazing is an understatement. There are surprises at every turn. The best part of this game is the wide range of characters. This game takes what Arkham Asylum did right, and makes it 100x better
  39. Nov 8, 2011
    This game is pretty amazing. The open world, scenery, action, puzzles, detail... It did everything right, except one thing. They tried to put too much in it. It has almost every villain known to Batman in this game, which seemed to have made top-villains appear like thugs. Seemed like the plot wasn't thick enough to contain all the extra top-villains. Overall, a 9.
  40. Nov 9, 2011
    IMO this is the game of the year hands down. This game almost has it all. A compelling story, Amazing main characters, simple yet complex combat system, amazing graphics with no screen tearing or rendering (that I saw), Gadgets from the very start, fun open world element, CatWoman.......(enough said), one of the best openings I've seen in a long time, and one of the most perfect endings I have seen or can think of. The physical and psychological strain you see Batman go through is something you don't see a main character go through in very many games gives the Arkham City and Batman a very human element to it, where most games the main character never has a scratch or a tear of clothing. As the game goes on you see the weight of the world riding on Batman's shoulders as he continues to "save the day" making him the most realistic character I've seen in some time.

The combat is both fun and easy to use, with hot keys to unleash gadgets, one button to attack and one to dodge, and etc. It's always fun bending one of Joker's goon's gun in half then leaping over to bash a another delinquent over the head with his own bat.

I could go on and on about the positives of this game.....Riddler Trophies....

Some of the Negatives though are that there are super-villians I would have liked to have received a bigger or more menacing role, or some characters were added to just be there and be a fan service but that's okay. Another downside is the traveling in Arkham City, it was annoying getting to one end of the city then finding out you need something that on the other side of the city, but you could always swoop down kick some bad guy butt real quick then continue gliding over the city.
  41. Nov 10, 2011
    A great game. The story mode was disappointingly short, but the side missions, challenges, etc. make up for it. It still has it's flaws, such as the story telling (which was weaker than Asylum), and it isn't as engaging as Asylum was (or at least when it first released) but it's definitely superior to its predecessor. Highly recommend it to batman fans and strongly recommend to gamers in general
  42. Dec 30, 2011
    Best game ever, what more can I say? No other game makes you feel like the character as much as this does, it's simply amazing. Rocksteady pour so much love and attention into their games and you can really tell too!
  43. Nov 10, 2011
    Arkham City set the benchark for all games. It is just the pinacle in gaming.
    I wish there was more games like this. It is my 2011 GAME OF THE YEAR.
  44. Nov 10, 2011
    A superb game, topped only by the mighty Uncharted 3. Arkham City expands and improves on the equally brilliant Arkham Asylum, adding new gadgets, fighting moves, and a whole new story that twists and turns through terrific action, emotion, and a frighteningly sadistic Joker (Mark Hammil). You'll love every minute of it. A must own for any gamer - and no, you don't have to be a Batman fan to enjoy this masterpiece. Expand
  45. Nov 10, 2011
    If you love Batman, you're gonna love this game. If you don't love Batman, then you'll enjoy the game too, as it doesn't go over the head of a casual fan's head with the story. Simply put BUY THIS GAME!
  46. Nov 10, 2011
    Well what can I say, this game is a masterpiece. Having been playing it since release day, getting 100% completion, I'm still playing this game now trying to better my Challenge mode rankings. This combat is some of the most streamlined I have encountered, essentially boiling down to attacks and counters. To those who criticize it for only being '2 buttons' the combat is easy to pick up but hard to master. There is a deceptive level of depth. Button mashing punch may work to an extent, but don't go expecting any combos planning the next attack and clever use of gadgets is the way to succeed.

Onto the storyline, which going into a sandbox game I was expecting to get something which felt tacked on. How wrong I was, while i was often sidetracked on way to mission objectives, I was always eager to find out what what going to happen next. Arkham City features over twice as many villains as Arkham Asylum but somehow none were forced and all were relevant to the proceedings.

Finally the graphics are stunning, with attention to detail rivalling that of a smaller scale game. The city is bursting with things to do. Its one of the most immersive environments which I have experienced, with only a handful of areas having (very short) loading waits. All in all it will take a very good game to beat this for game of year, only possibilities in my opinion are Zelda Skyward Sword and Skyrim. But either way this is a must-have title.
  47. Nov 10, 2011
    Wow, amazing game. Like the dark knight, its so amazing that I'm scared and hopeful that the inevitable sequel can live up to what this game has accomplished. Good time to be a Batman fan.
  48. Nov 10, 2011
    Bought this game at midnight and what a gem it is. The story is fantastic. It brings such a sense of urgency and suspense! I love it. The only downside is that its not that long. The game is gorgeous though. Graphics, Gameplay, Soundtrack, Voices. Everything is truly a gem.
  49. Nov 10, 2011
    This game is definitely the game of there year! Everything is PERFECT!!!! Unless you wanna b!tch about a few things, however that is based on HOW YOU PLAY not the game itself. If you dont think like Batman you will fail. And thats the goal!

BUY ARKHAM CITY NOW!!!
  50. Oct 26, 2012
    Better than Asylum. Arkham city picks up after the events of Asylum and the plot is amazing. Just like Asylum this game is insanely fun to play. A lot of secrets in the free roaming city keep you interested. Fighting and detective mode are back and still are a lot of fun to use. Use of interesting gadgets only add to the fun in this game. This game is a must buy.
  51. Nov 12, 2011
    This game is everything you can expect an scroll beat em up in our time can be, and they've truly made it shine. However, the lack of multiplayer in both story and survival mode makes it a game quickly conquered and felt done with.
  52. Dec 29, 2011
    Great Game. While the story is disappointing, and sometimes I feel the game tries to do much, (Ex: too many different types of enemies at once or having a lot of villains and not fleshing them out) it still is an amazing game gameplay-wise, and that's all that matters.

9.5/10
  53. Nov 10, 2011
    I love this game - the gameplay is great fun and the graphics are excellent too. I'm liking the sandbox style of gameplay too; overall, this game is deserving of a very high score.
  54. Nov 10, 2011
    Everything with this game is amazingly well made. The atmosphere, the villains.. Batman isn't just a game, it's an experience which will blow your socks off!
  55. Nov 11, 2011
    The first batman game for the ps3 was amazing and it was a surprise since there are not many great super hero games out there. Most super hero games turn out to be trash, but this sequel is great. So much has improved from better combat to flying in a city like batman did. The villians are amazing and the game is well put together.
  56. Nov 19, 2011
    One of the best Batman DC games ever on a console !.
    Great story line, great graphics, even in 3D its awesome.
    The riddles are much harder then in the other game of batman, not only need to be fast, but also kinda smart, its hard to get all of them unlocked, but its worth the try !
  57. Nov 11, 2011
    Kamarade so this is it is completly max max paradna ina haluska uz skvela vynikajuca vedljsie Ridlera hadanky from the Mission of the game super bomb zabavka for 2 months surprised me this very tesim and davam, 10 for the skvelu game.Vyrobcom is it really went well: D.
  58. Nov 11, 2011
    Finally a super hero sequel that is even better than the first game. Batman Arkham city is a blast to play. With all the new assortment of things, this game is worth every dime since you will never get bored. The characters of the villians are outstanding. Brings back memories of when I was a kid watching batman. Im glad this game turned out to be great since batman was my favorite superhero.
  59. Nov 12, 2011
    Absoluty amazing!!! Batman returns!!! This game is pure love, great graphics ( arkham asylum motor), music, villians and the city is great! If you like batman or no, this game is very good and fun to play like the dark knight. One of the most important game of this amazing year.
  60. Nov 12, 2011
    This game, it's amazing. The voice actors from my childhood, the amazing gameplay, the story telling, the combat, everything in this game is AMAZING. I could go on for so long about a SINGLE PLAYER GAME BEING SO AMAZING but I'll keep it short. Top quality voice acting, amazing in-game atmosphere, badass looking characters, fluid and entertaining combat(TAKE NOTES BETHESDA), gadgets, character leveling and customization. Play this game, buy it, the developers deserve the money and you deserve to play it Expand
  61. Nov 12, 2011
    Muy buen juego, un sandbox con una gran historia y una amplia variedad de movimientos. Lo único que podría criticar es que se parece un poco a assasins creed y que la ciudad podría ser mas grande, pero por lo demás me ha encantado.
  62. Nov 14, 2011
    The game is really an indication of how far we've come in terms of comic book games, it's one of the most dense and enjoyable games I have played in a long time. The only game where i actively played out the side missions with glee, each side mission is thoughtfully planned out and extremely fun to play. I did feel the post final boss fight was rushed though, some cut scenes even teasing batman looking into the things that hint at the next game would have been nice! But it's still a brilliant game! Expand
  63. Nov 15, 2011
    If you love Batman, you will love this game! It is the model of which all future comic based games should be modeled after! The main story as well as the side quests and riddles will keep you immersed in Gotham City for several hours; the game does not disappoint!
  64. Nov 16, 2011
    I love this game so faar.. Many changes on this game since before.. So the batman can go arround the city and do side missions.. Like helping people from thugs and did riddler mystery.. And the part im love from this game.. The other character like catwoman and robin appears on this game.. But unfortunately we can control and play with this character directly It must download from psn store as dlc..
    And the minus from this game..

We dont give a chance to try batride like batmobile, bathoat and etc..

But the overal this game will being nominator game of the year this month.
    So i give score 9.

And good job rocksteady.
    I hope the other game heroes can be like this game sometime
  65. Nov 16, 2011
    This game is great. I'm not sure if it outshines Arkham Asylum as a whole, but it definitely improves on a lot of things. The combat is so much fun. After fighting in this game, fighting in Arkham Asylum seems boring. They definitely packed in a lot of stuff to do, from the hundreds of Riddler challenges to the cool side missions, there is so much to do in Arkham City. A minor complaint I have has to do with the visual Riddler puzzles. They were my favourite part of Arkham Asylum and I had so much fun searching for every last one, but in this game, they are not as fun to look for and when you find them, they are usually not as cool and unique as they are in the first game. But this is just a small flaw. The rest of the game is amazing and the story and characters are great too. The challenge mode is alot of fun too. It's just so much fun to be Batman and kick ass! Expand
  66. Nov 18, 2011
    This is a great game and obviously both the best superhero game to date and the best Batman game to date. The story is movie-calibur with its epicness, and although there are far too many villains for a real movie, the sheer number of them make you feel like you actually are Batman and smack-dab in Batman's world. The gameplay is great with the fighting system, flight, and stealth tactics. The open world is not the largest sandbox a video game has created, but there definitely is just as much to do in this game as there is in, say, San Andreas. I'm a particular fan of the unlock able concept art, something i previously ignored in past games but the quality of it in this game is astounding. This game is very re-playable with all the extra and unlock able content, as well as with the normal and in-game side quests. Keep it up, Rocksteady, this one is definitely worth your $63 bucks! Expand
  67. Nov 19, 2011
    tres bonne suite beaucoup d'evolution par rapport au 1er, ville ouverte trop classe, fluidoté des combat au top, l'histoire est genial je ne met pas la note max a cause des defi campagne qui sont plutot enervante
  68. Nov 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is the best super hero game period and this is coming from a marvel fan how ever it's not the best game ever.
    The combat: the best part of the game by far, it makes you feel like a totel BAD*** plus ten.
    The story: It was great the end will shock you i mean i was shocked they went there. my only complaint is that (minor spoiler) when robin showed up for like 5 secounds he never comes back. Catwomen: At first I thought they included her just for us men (not that i'm complaining lol) but she really is a tough character but without playing as her it dose feel sexist but one you do you forget about that.
    Graphics: Most of the time the graphics are fantastic but textures tend to blur when you some in.
    The ridler: i got nothing to say really the riddler challenges mix up the gameplay enough.
    The verdict: All in All you cant go wrony with this purches pu it's not perfict.
  69. Nov 20, 2011
    This franchise has some of the best storytelling and voice work around today. The combat is smooth, and fun with some "holy crap, did you see that?!" moments while you counter the slew of thugs surrounding you. The open world is vast, and fun to explore, especially with the hundreds of Riddler challenges dotting the map. I give it a 9, and not a ten because after having played it and its predecessor, I think that I liked the eeriness and creepiness of Arkham Asylum that isn't captured quite as well here. But when it comes right down to it, it's really hard to beat walking around as Batman, and frankly, feeling like a total bad-ass as you toy with the inmates. Expand
  70. Nov 20, 2011
    my game of the year. that's all...(im just writing a little bit more as i have to use at least 150 characters... nearly done...errrr...catwoman long halloween FTW!)
  71. Nov 20, 2011
    Simply fantastic, I personally was moved to tears at the closing. I pride myself as a die hard Bat-Fan, and this was just PERFECT. Thank you RockSteady...
  72. Nov 20, 2011
    One of most anticipated games of 2011 delivers in every way possible and more. This game is bigger, better and more epic. This game makes you feel like batman, everything a vidoe game can excel at, batman does right, the story is great. The visual look awesome, and the fun combat is back. One of the best this year, now go buy it.
  73. Nov 21, 2011
    Arkham City is a very well example of how a sequel should be, but it's not perfect. I thought the story was rather weak and even though the "frame plot" is supposed to be about Hugo Strange, there's a weird focus on the Joker AGAIN, which wasn't really necessary if you ask me. But a lot of other characters from the Batman franchise have been included, maybe even too many as a few of them don't have much more than a cameo, Robin for instance. He's playable in some DLC challenge Maps, fine, but was that really worth bothering implementing him? In the story mode, he just appears once in a cutscene.

The Catwoman parts are pretty good, she plays different, but not too different from Bats. Could've gotten more content than the very few and short missions she has.

Technically, the game looks, sounds and plays fantastically. One complaint would be that the combat can be very annoying and tedious before you "buy" certain battle upgrades with your XP. I invested in gadgets and such first and thus, didn't enjoy the fights until later in the game, so do yourself a favor and get the combat upgrades first.

Another thing that disappointed me were the stealth sections. I really loved those in the prequel, but this time, they feel weak, also few and far between. The challenges are much, much easier this time, which is not a good thing, most of them, at least, but when you've done them all, if you want to "complete" everything, the game forces you to beat all of them again with some extra conditions and always three of them in a row. This is kind of lazy and reeks of filler content this game didn't even need.

No, it didn't. Even though the story is kind of short, there's so much good side mission stuff, you'll be busy for hours.

It's also remarkable how well the controls work. It's not like it's dumbed down, but everything feels natural and fluently. The new power dive plummet to gain or lose height takes a while to get used to but once you have the hang of it, you'll fly around Arkham City like you were born for it. I also love the grappling hook, it's really fun to use both in and outside.

Personally, I thought the open world concept wasn't as good as the island from the first game, but it makes up for the less interesting design (it's still great!) by letting you fly and zip all over the place which is very fun and wouldn't have been possible with a gameworld like the one in Arkham Asylum.

Overall, this game game is great. Some aspects could've been better, but nothing really worth whining about. 9/10
  74. Nov 22, 2011
    Arkham Asylum was a bold statement: Yes a superhero game can be superb. Arkham City is an ever bolder statement: Yes a superhero game can be a masterpiece in every sense of the word. It is like walking through a batman fans greatest fantasy with the loads of easter eggs and batman lore. As a game itself though, it's sheer brilliance. Combat adds just enough to the already brilliant system to make it feel fresh, gliding through the city is one of the more thrilling things you will do this year on a video game system, and the story is well fleshed out and keeps you on the edge of your seat. There is only one reason I can think of not giving this brilliant game a perfect score: Pop in. The game runs rampant with it. It's a real shame too, because the game is gorgeous and feels like your playing in batman's world for real. If the pop in was just a little bit less prominent, it would be a ten, but sadly it is not. Expand
  75. Nov 20, 2011
    Arkham Asylum was a tremendous step in the right direction when it came to a great super hero game(finally), So Arkham City was already hyped a ton for me. Here is a company taking what was great in BAA and making it bigger and better... This game should be amazing! Well it was! The action is as fluid as the first game, and the environment is on a larger scale. The fighting mechanics are one of the best in any game, and when you get into a large group of enemies it leaves you very satisfied. The number one reason this game is so great is that it actually makes you feel LIKE BATMAN!. If anyone is a super hero game this is a must buy. If your not, at least rent it to see just what it means to be a super hero and you may just fall in love with this title! Expand
  76. Jun 27, 2012
    This is my favorite game. Batman: Arkham Asylum was a fantastic game with a fantastic story. Batman: Arkham City improves on it in every way. First, the story is fantastic. New villains along with some old ones make an appearance such as Mr. Freeze, the Penguin, and of course, the Joker. I don't want to spoil anything so I'll stop there. The combat is amazingly refined. No longer is it just mashing the strike and counter button. The enemies are more diverse and require varied tactics to beat, especially when they're mixed in among other inmates. Old gadgets return along with a plethora of new ones as well making combat and stealth that much cooler. If you liked the challenge of finding riddler trophies in Arkham Asylum, than you'll be in heaven here. Now when you find a riddler trophy, some work goes into figuring out how to get it. This is an all around fantastic game and is worth whatever you pay for it. The replay value is incredible. Expand
  77. Nov 21, 2011
    Perfect. I love it. And for those who are saying about sneaking, go and see Batman series or read the comics. The core of Batman is sneaking. If you want to go in and beat everyone, keep playing MW3. This game is awesome, I really love it. The only thing I hate is that the combat system sometimes gets repetitive, as the Riedler missions. Also I hate that you can't use the Batmobile or Batwing
  78. Nov 21, 2011
    This is in my opinion, game of the year. I've played the biggest hits this year and this game is the only one that completely blew me away. The story, the graphics, and the gameplay were all fantastic. There are so many things to do in Arkham City. The main story with a ton of unlockables and side quests with challenge modes that are pretty fun when you just want to enjoy the "free flow combat". Anyone who enjoyed the first game, should pick this one up. Expand
  79. Nov 21, 2011
    I've been a fan of Batman since I was a little kid. I've read/own all of his comics and I absolutely adored Batman Arkham Ayslum. I actually felt like batman in Arkham Asylum. But in Arkham City, you BECOME batman. The second you step out into the streets of Gotham, you're completely taken aback with the sheer scope and beauty of the city. Sirens, helicopters and innocent cries for help fill the night sky as you leap from building to building and use your grappel gun to fly through it all, while little snowflakes hit your cape. The perfection of Arkham City is in the details. There's just no question about it. Just being able to fight against batman's most dangerous enemies and interact with them as well is any fanboy's dream. The developers and Rocksteady studios put so much love and care into this game that it even it you're not an avid batman fan, you owe it to yourself to go to your local video game store and buy this game..no questions asked. This game is not so much a game, as it is an EXPERIENCE. That's the end of the review for me, now I'm gonna go replay the game literally for the 11th time. Cheers! :D Expand
  80. Nov 23, 2011
    Aesthetic perfection. The balled-like flow to combat is as enjoyable as ever. I still prefer Arkham Asylum (it was my GOTY) because the game world was big enough to explore but small and contained enough to allow the story to be more focused. While City is technically bigger it feels unfocused and strangely small. If you're going to do a open world game then do it right and make Batman: Gotham City. Expand
  81. Nov 25, 2011
    A lovely line up of great bosses. Great free roaming capabilities. More moves characters. And simply this is the vest superhero game ever created and it makes me feel like im actually batman which is exactly what its supposed to do!
  82. Nov 25, 2011
    After playing Arkham Asylum a couple years ago I thought to myself that it couldn't get better than this...and to my surprise it did. Arkham City not only improved upon the gameplay, but also told a much more involving story and gave more stuff to do. Not only was the combat way more improved, but now you got a greater percentage of villians to fight and an entire barricaded city to fully explore. The riddler trophies also add more to the gameplay, and the inclusion of hostages to capture from him after collecting a certain number of trophies adds to the fun.

Adding to the greatness was the reprising roles of Kevin conroy as the voice of Batman and Mark Hamill as the voice of The Joker. Both truly added to their characters and pulled it off quite well which was satisfying indeed. The inclusion of more villians to tackle this time as well was cool too. From Mr Freeze to The Penguin you got almost every villian Batman has ever faught in this game for him to take on. I really found myself impressed seeing all of the characters all in one game and involved in a rather interesting story.

With all the good I have one minor issue and that is the inclusion of Catwoman. She is neat to play as but in my view it just feels as if she was just thrown into the story because she just didn't really add much to it. She was a good diversion from playing as Batman but in all honesty she just was not needed. Aside of that this game is truly a must buy and really should be experienced by anyone who loves well developed action games.... even if you aren't much of a Batman fan like I am
  83. Nov 25, 2011
    Totally awesome to a point of where the use of the old cliche' : "Two Thumbs Up" is relatively old and outdated. Batman is back big time....due my time constraints...the one hour I have played it so far has me so hooked that I am going to have to use my sick/personal time to WANT to finish this one. So far, the return of Hugo Strange, The Penguin, Catwoman, and Two-Face...are highly almost realistically polished characters...this truly is a work of art....get it! Expand
  84. Sep 10, 2013
    A masterpiece. This game hooked me the moment I first saw the menu screen and kept me hooked all the way through to the end. I didn't like Arkham Asylum much because it felt so constrained to me, Arkham City fixes all that with a gigantic city to explore. And it's not just that it's a big city, it's a city that fits perfectly in the Batman universe.

My gripes for this game are small,
    sometimes I wish I can turn off the city chatter, and I wish the loading were faster.

The graphics are great, the music is awesome, the voice acting is superb, and the boss battles are fun and engaging. This is definitely the greatest Batman game released as of 2013.
  85. Nov 28, 2011
    Being one of the more anticipated games of the year definitely put a lot of pressure on the creators of the game, but they deliver big time. While I enjoyed Arkham Asylum, I didn't think it was the game that most were telling me it was. It was a very simplistic beat em up kind of game for me, though I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Arkham City on the other hand changed everything for me. I love the idea of being able to go from place to place within the city, though it gets kind of annoying to handle side missions while already on a main mission. Other than that, this game packs a lot of action, memorable enemies and just loads of content that should keep everyone busy for a little while with it. Expand
  86. Nov 29, 2011
    After two years, the highly rated Batman: Arkham Aslyum gets a follow-up in the form of Arkham City. I thought the first game was great in that it represented the property magnificently, but my biggest flaw with Arkham Asylum was that it ended too soon, even with extras such as challenge maps and Riddler trophies. With that said how does Arkham City stack up?

Pros:
    -Visual-wise, Audio
    Wise, and Story wise this game is outstanding. Pointing out a flaw in the technical aspect of this game would be like pointing what is wrong with DaVinci's artwork. You may have criticisms but you can't deny that real love went into it.
    -You're the Goddamn Batman: I already felted like Batman in AA, but in AC I feel even more like him down to the gadgets, fighting style, and overall badass-ness.
    -Once the main storyline is done, there is a pretty good amount of content to go back to.
    -Casual and Hardcore Batman fans will be drooling over how much mythos is in this game.
    -Catwoman is hot and fun to play as.

Cons:
    -Those Catwoman stages are short.
    -Side Missions include other Batman Villains, but they're wasted. So many great opportunities to enhance the games longevity are subjected to really anti-climatic boss battles.
    -The problems that I felt with AA resonate in AC. Riddler trophies, while have more substance this time, still feel like a chore leading up to nothing. Challenge Maps while fun, still get tiring after awhile and don't feel worth it. Once everything is done, you don't feel compelled to come back.

Overall, Arkham City is an experience that EVERYONE Batman fan or not should play. This game improves on the first one in so many ways that it makes the first one sort of obsolete. However, once again AC has the same problem that AA suffered and that is the lasting factor. It truly is one of the best games ever...but unfortunately some things can't last forever.
  87. Nov 30, 2011
    Best single player game I have ever played. I LOVED IT! I would prefer the combat challenges to be a bit more difficult but all in all, very few flaws in this game..
  88. Nov 30, 2011
    This game is probably one of the best, if not the best, third person narrative out there. Move aside among thieves, I have played through the game on three occasions already and the ending still wows me. Everything from the story to the graphics to the gameplay is done to near perfection aside from a few pop-in textures and gliches. Im giving Arkham city an enthusiastic 10 out of 10.
  89. Dec 14, 2011
    Ever since I picked it up, I haven't been able to stop playing. It overwhelmed me completely, It's just so much fun to play as the Dark Knight and Catwoman (she's damn sexy in Arkham). Great action game, superb combat and extremely credible characters, intense side missions and a breathtaking story. It's just damn near perfect and a legendary game overall, definitely lives up to all the hype around it. You actually LIVE in Arkham as Batman/ Catwoman, that's how good it is. Do yourself an enormous favor and buy this ASAP, you can thank me later. Expand
  90. Sep 21, 2012
    I reneged when I first picked this up from gamestop I was excited to play it! I mean I absolutely loved batman arkham asylum but as I progressed through arkham city & eventually beat the game....One fact stood out that could not be ignored...its short. yes its not as long as arkham asylum so lets begin my review.....as always the good:graphics are top notch and VERY impressive!! I like how the attention to detail was so prevailing in arkham city...every object,street pole, and building,even abandoned vehicles look great!! Gameplay & controls: once again flawlessly crafted,surprisingly better than arkham asylum!! I've had a great time owning the the out of control inmates of arkham city just as much as exploring the city itself!! Which go's without saying that the replay value is very high. the boss fights are all implemented I really liked fight the penguin & his illegal freak that's in his basement. RA'S AL GHOL fight reminded me of my fight with scarecrow from the first game which was great but the best fight hands down has to go to mister freeze...I first( & only) fought him without use of the hints this makes the fight incredibly good/tuff for batman as he's the only tough boss/enemy for batman. there's virtually no load times such is great to & batman even uses better gadgets than the first game!! Now the bad part: its to short...if you focus on the main story(which is good) then it'll be over with. a few hours which is sad because the gameplay/was very interesting..also of note...a sandbox setting? while its not game breaking in any way...for me it felt out of place in a batman game...it wasn't bad but it seemed weird to have batman in a sandbox game but I love the side missions like finding out who's been cutting off peoples faces & zasz comes back in an I.Ferrari.g way so do the riddled but in the end I was alittle disappointed with how short it was but its still an amazing game & well worth the price!!! 9/10 Expand
  91. Dec 6, 2011
    this game is very, very, good. no denying that. you could release this game in 12 years and it'd still be good. however, there is something missing from this game. it feels perfectly formed, large, never boring, and the gameplay is as good as asylum.

however, following up asylum is a hard, hard task. the original was nigh on perfect, having great progression, great scenes, set pieces, and
    a sense that where you went next was up to you, but that following the story is the best option.

city is like this, but the ridiculous scale that it is on dampens things a bit. there is little feeling of enclosure, no fear, no sense of danger, and following the story seems less meaningful, even if it is a well thought out one. it has no wow factor anymore either. the items you had at the end of asylum are still here, and there is little new, aside from the ridiculous scale of the game.

there is also no real incentive to come back. you play it and it is hard to persuade yourself to turn it back on. i have found this with other people, who simply have no desire to find out what happens next. some games like zelda, uncharted and arkham asylum did, but for some reason, this just doesn't.

not to say its a bad game. not whatsoever. but i would reccomend arkham asylum over it. its not a dissapointment, but unlike arkham asylum, something feels missing. and that is the most depressing sensation you can have in a videogame.
  92. Feb 8, 2012
    1 word to describe this game: Masterful.

It does everything, and it does it perfectly. If you don't like Batman, pick it up. It's a great action/stealth game worthy of every bit of praise it's received. If you're a fan of Batman, you've already picked it up, and been incredibly in love with it.
  93. Dec 27, 2011
    Great game, went back to this after i bought that abortion of a game skyrim, and wonder why I left at all. Must buy, great replay value and engaging story. Plenty to find and exploring and side missions are great! Plus voice acting is top notch with Kevin and Mark as Batman and Joker!
  94. Dec 8, 2011
    A perfect game in every way !! A must for every true gamer out there. Huge open world, awesome side missions, sexy Cat women playable character, superb story mode, hours and hours solving riddles and finding trophies... Big Bad Super villains, what else can i say ... ? I've been playing video games since the Atari 2600 and the Coleco box were born and i've never seen anything like it !!! Many hidden hints teasing about an upcoming sequel too... THIS IS the Game of the year 2011 !!! Expand
  95. Dec 16, 2011
    Batman. You know the name as a cult icon of comic book history. But how does his latest game hold up. STORY Depending on whether or not you get the Catwoman DLC, you begin the game at 2 different points of view(if you get the DLC of course) but still get the same normal story, however the story is anything but normal. You play as of course Batman, in the former North Gotham City, now known as Arkham City, a place where the former inmates of the asylum from the previous game are now transferred here. However, there are more inmates here than there were in the previous game which supposedly took place six months before this game takes place. The one who is in charge of this place surprisingly knows your secret identity. You learn this at the beginning during a gripping title sequence(that of which is perfect in every aspect) You reach many different plotpoints and subplots throughout the game. You have the option of skipping cutscenes, but, why would you want to? It's already a good game when you have a fantastic story and cutscenes that are just beautiful to look at.

Design:

Developers did their best to make it feel like you had a huge environment move around in. They did a damn good job of it. Everything is improved with this. The AI is very much improved. So much so that you would need the try harder to take some enemies down. Multiple enemies are now able to attack you at once. It is very chaotic, but that's the point, it shouldn't feel too easy. Challenge is a good thing. It isn't hard because of bad controls and the game is broken, it's because the game developers give you bigger variety of options in combat and enemies that have actual brains as opposed to a programmed usual, predictable pattern for the AI in combat from Arkham Asylum.

GAMEPLAY:

What should be the definitive part of any game is for this one. You are Batman. That means you can do almost anything Batman can do which causes the game to be a very immersing experience. The controls are very easy to pick up on. And like any game, if you have any trouble with inverted controls, you can always switch them on or off. Speaking of which, as a PS3 exclusive, you can choose whether or not you want to glide with motion controls.

Gadgets have a large variety(which excludes the Ultra-batclaw, and multi-batarangs) with the ability to acquire gadgets that Batman has never used before. You can also use some of these gadgets in combat, but in a swift non-time consuming fashion. For example, you can use the batclaw to quickly pull someone toward you before you dash toward that same guy just to knock him to the ground.

Predator mode has also been improved allowing you for more ways to take someone down. You can take a guy down from the other side of a window. You can jam their guns so that when they spot you, they are helpless against you. There are so many ways to knock people down. If there is lone pair of armed inmates you can just take them down in hand to hand combat, or take them down simultaneously in stealth.

Sound:

Sound is usually another important thing in games today. It should usually be counted
    as one of those qualities in a game that immerses you. And the people who made the sound praised for the fantastic achievement of making such a memorable and most importantly relevant soundtrack. It is able to be timed successfully with the gripping dialogue. You will realize this from the beginning, right at the title sequence.

OVERALL: Arkham City is game that will keep you in from beginning to end and beyond. The story isn't really over at the end of the credits, because there is tons more to do, like completing riddler challenges, side missions, a new and more challenging difficulty for the game, and even a few easter eggs that could foreshadow what could be the next game in the series. Final Verdict: 9.9/10- a Full Price Buy!
  96. Dec 14, 2011
    Possibly one of the greatest games ever made, the plot and gameplay is incredible, you will be scared, and the villians are incredible, a great follow up to the first game Batman Arkahm Asylum, It is suspensful, and action packed. All in all it is a great game, that everyone should love.
  97. Dec 21, 2011
    Batman Arkham City is one of the best games out on the market. Rocksteady are a company that love to create genius ideas for their own games. Everything about Batman Arkham City makes the quality of the original look like a test for this one. We all look forward to see what Rocksteady can do in the highly anticipated 'Arkham World.'
  98. Dec 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game is one of the best games ever. i didnt really know at first if "city" would be better than "alsyum" but this game succeds on many levels. the game involved many new features to arkham alsyum, the biggest being a open world game and the new side missions to keep you busy and interested in this game for hours after the original story ends. these new addictions make the game feel like a whole new feeling then alsyum and to me feels like infamous. one flaw i need to point out though is the amount of bosses in the game. these portions of the game are very annoying because they all have their weaknesses and after you figure them out the battle goes on for way too long. once again the voice acting is great and the story is fantastic. the new effect of many villians is only better. penguin is a great addiction to this game and that boss battle is the only one i enjoyed. nolan north (nathan drake) is great as penguin and of course mark hamill shines as joker. the catwoman levels are boring but are not effecting this score. overall this game is a great story with great combat and great voice acting. seeing batman interact with so many people ( robin, strange, alfred) is awesome and is very great. 10-10 Expand
  99. Dec 29, 2011
    This is batman's finest adventure and a game that had a lot to live up to. In this game Batman has found himself in Arkham City and is poisoned by the Joker. Batman now has to find away to cure himself while clearing the filth which dominates the streets of Arkham City thankfully this time round he has some help from to downloadable characters Catwoman and Robin each with there own unique combat, lines and missions. Arkham City is not the GTA huge open world but is big enough and with a ton of places to go inside its plenty. I only have one criticism which is the main campaign was very quick and I completed it in 7 hours I thought with all the area that they're was to cover I though it was going to be a bigger excursion but luckily when you finish the main campaign you have a lot of side missions and riddler trophies to go and collect. The world is also very beautifully done and designed superbly and does the DC universe proud. Another great aspect of the game is the voice acting there all brilliant from Mark Hamill's Joker to a random thug in the street this is not just a great game it is a smart game and in my opinion should of gained more awards or game of the year. Expand
  100. Jan 1, 2012
    After playing arkham asylum didn't think it would get much better but I was wrong I got this one as soon as it came out and I couldn't stop playing it and the storyline was amazing you should get this game

1. Arkham City is the best reflection of the Batman-comic books ever. Not because of the sheer amount of famous enemies that challenge our hero, but thanks to the amazing atmosphere that oozes from every pore of this remarkable action game. [Nov 2011, p.70]
  2. Nov 29, 2011
    All in all, outside of a few minor issues, I couldn't ask for a better Batman experience. If Arkham City was a graphic novel, it would be considered a classic.
  3. Arkham City should be celebrated as a shining achievement for the action-adventure genre for its masterful execution. [Holiday 2011, p.70]