8.7

1. Apr 26, 2014
    Rocksteady Studios takes everything that was great about it's first Batman game and applies it all to an open-world. It's clear that Rocksteady was trying to best their previous outing in every way, and by doing so they have created one of the best Batman games yet created. With one of the best Batman stories ever told, a large amount of content, and tons of new gameplay elements, this isRocksteady Studios takes everything that was great about it's first Batman game and applies it all to an open-world. It's clear that Rocksteady was trying to best their previous outing in every way, and by doing so they have created one of the best Batman games yet created. With one of the best Batman stories ever told, a large amount of content, and tons of new gameplay elements, this is sure to please any Batman fan out there.

One thing that is noticeable shortly after starting is that Arkham City features much more life then the asylum. Thugs patrol streets and rooftops, political prisoners fight for survival, and classic Batman villains wreak havoc throughout the city. This makes little things like listening to thugs talk about the current events going on the city a real treat. While I prefer the atmosphere and locations Arkham Asylum had, the city is still a cool place to explore that is filled with secrets. Various side-qests are available that will place Batman up against classic foes, which lead to some incredibly memorable moments. There are also an insane amount of Riddler challenges and trophies to acquire. As far as side content goes Rocksteady has it covered, so there are plenty of reasons to come back after the credits have rolled.

The main campaign is an absolute blast that is filled with tons of villains and unforgettable moments. It takes a little bit to get going, but one it does it does not stop. The boss battles are fantastic, and show a lot of diversity. I do feel that it was shorter than Arkham Asylum's story, but I'm thankful that Rocksteady didn't add any unnecessary content.

The only real complaints I have with the game are a few irritating combat scenarios and some control design choices. For instance, why do I have to double-tap and hold the X button to make the grappling hook climb faster when in the previous game simply holding X would do it? Sure it takes on a new role, but simply holding X would have made things simpler. This is just one of the minor complaints I have with the game, and overall it and my other ones don't really matter. This is one fantastic game, and one any Batman fan should play pronto. Rocksteady outdid themselves with this one, and while I do prefer it's predecessor, I will in no way deny this game's high-level of quality. It is truly a must play experience.
  2. Dec 9, 2013
    Batman: Arkham City might well be the best video-game sequel ever made. It retains the core elements that made Arkham Asylum such a revelation, while expanding the series' ambition exponentially. The open world works excellently in Arkham City. Better yet, the way the limitations of it are actually written into the story is a stroke of genius. The world feels real and integral to the plot,Batman: Arkham City might well be the best video-game sequel ever made. It retains the core elements that made Arkham Asylum such a revelation, while expanding the series' ambition exponentially. The open world works excellently in Arkham City. Better yet, the way the limitations of it are actually written into the story is a stroke of genius. The world feels real and integral to the plot, rather than just a sandbox to swing around in. Likewise, the story's flow works brilliantly, with each villain having their own reasons to exist within the plot. Nothing feels shoehorned in and everything just seems natural. Just like Arkham Asylum, it really feels like a genuine Batman adventure. The pacing also deserves a mention; the game peaks at all the right moments and the end is, well, very climatic. Technically, the game looks beautiful and is one of the best looking titles on PS3. The controls and design are tight, rarely offering up problems (no mean feat in an open world game). Arkham City is such a perfect sequel that it's hard to see how the series can maintain it's momentum. How do you make a Batman game that moves the goalposts so spectacularly again? How do you make a Batman game where the open world makes so much sense again? It's going to take a magician to pull that one off, I think. So... Batman: Arkham City is a true, authentic Batman adventure and also a masterclass on how to do a videogame sequel right. But most of all, it's just really fun to play. Expand
  3. Apr 4, 2016
    For those that haven't played the first Batman Arkham Asylum, it is not necessary to start there but I highly recommend not passing up the first before you go to the sequel as the first will wet your appetite for this one and you will be amazed at what they did for the follow up in Arkham City. It is not often that you have a sequel that does so well at adding and bringing more that whatFor those that haven't played the first Batman Arkham Asylum, it is not necessary to start there but I highly recommend not passing up the first before you go to the sequel as the first will wet your appetite for this one and you will be amazed at what they did for the follow up in Arkham City. It is not often that you have a sequel that does so well at adding and bringing more that what the first game did. Expand
  4. Oct 29, 2017
    Se agradece mucho que hagan estas obras maestras para nuestros héroes favoritos de los cómics, de verdad. Excelente en todos sentidos, el mejor de la saga.
  5. Jun 30, 2014
    "Batman: Arkham City" is everything that a fan and gamer ever dreamed of. It's wonderful, it's spectacular, it's beautiful, It's almost PERFECT! The combat is vicious, the voices are phenomenal, the graphics are top-notch, the story looks like coming from a thrilling action film, the amount of details put in that game is just extraordinary and the missions are intriguing. For me, this is"Batman: Arkham City" is everything that a fan and gamer ever dreamed of. It's wonderful, it's spectacular, it's beautiful, It's almost PERFECT! The combat is vicious, the voices are phenomenal, the graphics are top-notch, the story looks like coming from a thrilling action film, the amount of details put in that game is just extraordinary and the missions are intriguing. For me, this is the best game I ever played in my life. Rocksteady should be proud and I can't wait to play the next game. Expand
  6. May 15, 2018
    Everything is improved from the last game, combat, open world, side content, etc. Only thing that is worse is the inconsistent story. Still interesting though.
  7. Jan 28, 2012
    This review is from a non batman fan, There was nothing to else rent so I decided to "try" Batman: Arkham City. Thinking I would be turning the game off after 15 mins of play! But I was blown away. by the presentaion, the graphics, the open world, the depth of characters, the gameplay. Wow!! Just an amazing game!!!
  8. Nov 11, 2011
    Ok, people, let's put a leash on the hype machine, for a moment. Is Batman Arkham City a great game? Yes, definitely. Does it improve on Batman AA? Yes, it does. Graphics, gameplay, story, sidequests, fun factor, replay value. It has everything. But calling it "the best game ever made", as I read a couple reviewers saying, is way too much. This is a PHENOMENAL game but that's it. It hasOk, people, let's put a leash on the hype machine, for a moment. Is Batman Arkham City a great game? Yes, definitely. Does it improve on Batman AA? Yes, it does. Graphics, gameplay, story, sidequests, fun factor, replay value. It has everything. But calling it "the best game ever made", as I read a couple reviewers saying, is way too much. This is a PHENOMENAL game but that's it. It has it's flaws and, by all means, is a perfect game. I hade fun and frustration on perfectly balanced doses. But there was some frustration and aspects that should have been fixed before release. Once this hype is over, people will concentrate on the next "great releases" and forget about it. And that's how it is. There's no doubt Batman AC is one of 2011 best games and an important addition to any collection. I had an amazing time with it and will return for more. But I stop here. I'm very tired of the hype machine and do not accept to be pushed by it anymore. Expand
  9. Dec 9, 2017
    Rocksteady's Batman: Arkham City is a flawless sequel to an amazing game. The story is even better, the characters are even better, and the gameplay is just as great as the previous game. Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill continuously prove to be the true Batman & Joker. I love this amazing game and my rating would be a 10/10
  10. Feb 5, 2017
    The best video game based on a comic I have ever played. It maintains all the good elements from Arkham Asylum at the same time it is greatly improved.

The city is bigger and offers more possibilities, and the story captivates from the very beginning. Even if you do not like superheroes, this is must-have within the adventure/action genre.
  11. Dec 30, 2014
    This game has the same great gameplay and dark setting as the first game and added an open world that's a lot of fun to explore and a story that grips you at every turn. This truly is a masterpiece.
  12. Sep 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ok , well i have been playing since midnight eastern time and let me start off by saying WOW. i am feeling like i am in an open world interactive batman comic/cartoon. it is that good. the details are top notch, everything from catwoman's hips to the dive bombing/thrust kicking villains. the graphics are beautiful, and there has been very little frame rate issues whatsoever. the controls familiar to asylum's mechanics, but more precise counters and great takedown sequences. the game starts off in a way which was very creative, and the story has been steady since pressing start. playing as catwoman is not only a great addition but the way she is seamlessly running parallel to the story, while taking turns from batman to catwoman. the upgrade/skill point is based on combat combo's and tech which gain batman his exp, doing other actions also will give some xp but combat being points plentiful. then can upgrade armor, techniques etc, categories ranging from gadgets to combat, and even catwoman has a small "tree" to upgrade. the villains are not the smartest bunch but instead of feeling like the a.i is pathetic, i feel like there is no match for batman while im playing him. so they give me feelings of being a bad a** who's moves got moves rather than the feeling of just going through the motions. that wasnt/isnt a easy task. i am one w/ batman. and my weapons are not over powered, if anything they are designed for 2 primary reasons. # 1 stunning / confusing the villain or # 2 used to solve puzzles(riddles) , break through walls and create diversions etc. they do not kill. batman has use his muscle to put enemies on the ground. and my fav is the "DIVE BOMB" lol, coasting around finding villains and pressing the right trigger to dive into a mob never gets old. the campaign isnt long if you go from a to b. but solving all the riddles as well as side quests tacks on many hours, fun hours. and im not usually a big fan w/ a ton of side quests but there are exceptions and its usually when i dont want a game to end, batman is an exception. i dont want the game to finish, and thats what tells me that im playing something special. batman has alot to offer. and it offers them on a silver platter. the only faults ive found is the main villains, in my opinion they did not get enough screentime, they just seemed to be an after thought rather than challenging foes. dont get me wrong, the details and voice acting of the joker, penguin etc were top notch but i just wished their presence made a bigger impact , cameo's is a word that describes my feelings on certain villains. and not knowing how many more batmans are to come, just wished that i had more interaction w/ them in this game because this is the one which is truely as close to a superhero to video game translation ive seen to date, and ive been playing games since commodore 64,lol..
    i took a break to share my thoughts as the game is paused in the background and its been about 13 hours of gaming so far and i cant wait to pick the controller back up.
    i must be honest before i go. i had no true desire for this game. almost switched my pre-order to something else. i must say that i would have made a mistake if i did because this is everything i want in a game and more, this is by far oe of the best games i have played in a while. ive played just about everything, check my psn if you wish. this is one which i will replay and one which i wont want to let go of. i dont think a perfect 10 exists but i have to grade a game which is pretty close. i would rate a 9.5 but considering the games that get scores that high and falling way short in comparison well hey im giving it a 10. the music hits all the right notes , the graphics are sweet and the story is one to enjoy. ultimately this game hits all the right notes and is very worthy of goty contention.
    if you a fan of batman or a fan of getting your monies worth in a game, then this is for you.
    if only rocksteady could call clark kent and have him sign a contract to jump in a phone booth and fly to our consoles. that would be nice...
  13. Jan 23, 2013
    You would be daft to say Arkham City isn't a game which has set a new standard for superhero games. It contains beautiful stealth and combat, easter eggs in every corner of the huge open world, loads of side-missions tying in with the comics and the best villain in gaming. This, my friends, is game of the year 2011 and I plead for you to buy it. I have only given two 10s in all of myYou would be daft to say Arkham City isn't a game which has set a new standard for superhero games. It contains beautiful stealth and combat, easter eggs in every corner of the huge open world, loads of side-missions tying in with the comics and the best villain in gaming. This, my friends, is game of the year 2011 and I plead for you to buy it. I have only given two 10s in all of my reviews. It shows how good this game is. Expand
  14. Aug 23, 2013
    Goddamn these graphics are amazing. Some amazing stealth worthy of Metal Gear mention. A great story and some awesome gameplay. Best game of 2011 indeed. No game that year came close (it was a great year for video games, by the way). It improved on an already great game.
  15. Oct 26, 2011
    Following the in the footsteps of Arkham Asylum was going to be a tall order as nobody expected Batman's PS3 debut to turn out as amazing as it ended up yet somehow Rocksteady have managed to improve on the original and deliver another awesome outing as The Dark Knight. The story takes place 18 months since the events of Arkham Asylum and wow has there been changes in Gotham City. In theFollowing the in the footsteps of Arkham Asylum was going to be a tall order as nobody expected Batman's PS3 debut to turn out as amazing as it ended up yet somehow Rocksteady have managed to improve on the original and deliver another awesome outing as The Dark Knight. The story takes place 18 months since the events of Arkham Asylum and wow has there been changes in Gotham City. In the heart of Batman's home lies Arkham City a mega-prison which has built to serve as a home to violent thugs and ofcourse infamous supervillains. And on the topic of villains, you'll find yourself coming across quite a few along the way. Right from the very off infact, and the beginning of Arkahm City is fantastic and draws you in straight away. You begin as Bruce Wayne you are are captured and taken to Dr. Hugo Strange who aware of Bats' dual identity and has assumed control of Arkham City and intends to unveil new plands for Arkham City before the night is done... and the game unfolds from their, formidable foe Joker returns and once more is integral to the story as he is apparently carrying a potentially fatal disease. Along the way the you encounter villains such as Two-Face, Catwoman, the Penguin, Mr. Freeze, Ra's al Ghul, Talia Al Ghul and some more surprises along the way. It's bigger, braver and better! In terms of gameplay the games system returns with some minor tweaks including now being able to fight two people at the same time as well as being capable of countering two also. Some will complain about it being reptitive and they may have a point but its great fun and highly satisfying wooping some ass! And, following suit like the previous outing there is an upgrade system which enables you to enhance your moves as well as unlock new combo's and weapons along the way that will come in handy in your quest throughout the story, the boss bottles were the only slight disappointment I had with Arkham Asylum but i'm pleased to say that there has been a general improvement on that front, its hardly hardcore and it 's far from the most challenging although i'm sure on harder difficulties the game will provide more difficult advisories however the bosses do deliver some tremendous thrills in what is just an all round stunning package. A new addition is the side missions which adds more game time. Its straighforward in the sense that if once you conclude a mission in a particular part of a campaign the chances are whatever villain's area you happen to find yourself in there will be a side missions of some sort setting you an assignment, its a clever idea and a great addition. The setting is where this game comes alive. Arkham Asylum feels limited compared to Arkham City its so open and there are many area's to explore, it really does blow you away how much Rocksteady have bettered the original in terms of how bigger they have made Batman. Visually its awesome, not the best but nonetheless its still one of the finest looking console games particuarly when you take the environment into consideration it helps generate a dark, gloomy atmopshere as you swing throughout Arkham City. The voice overs are once again sensational. Mark Hamill is outstanding oncemore as The Joker although Corey Burton delivers a brilliant portrayal as Hugo Strange while Kevin Smith is ever dependable as the Dark Knight himself and Castle's very own Stana Katic voices Talia al Ghul. With DLC on the way allowing you to play as the boy wonder, Robin and Catwoman, it only enhances the all round package on offer here and I can assure you that this game is unmissable! On top of that you will find yourself coming back to play the campaign. While Arkham City doesn't quite bring the shocks that its predacessor did the replay value doesn't deminish and to round it off there's the Riddlers trophy's for you to find as well as those sidemissions and the DLC in the coming months. Taking everything Arkham City offers into consideration you really do have to take your hat off to Rocksteady as they deliver not only deliver one of the best games relased this year but also one of the best games ever to grace the PS3, it takes everything that was good about Arkham Asylum and makes it great, pure and simple, the only frustration I had with the game was how quickly I was able to finish the campaign, i'd probably say it ranged from somewhere between 6-8 hours however the frustration is from the fact I just want to keep playing, which is testimony to Rocksteady. For me this game had everything, it just thrives on the anticipation and blows you away with what it brings to the table. You owe it to yourself to sample being Batman because its rather awesome from a superb start to a shock ending which leaves things wide open in terms of where Rocksteady decides to take the series and one things for sure based on Arkham City, the Dark Knight's future is in great hands. An essential purchase and a game you simply must buy! Expand
  16. Nov 9, 2011
    Arkham Asylum was pretty much one of the best superhero games I have ever played and is up there with Spiderman 2 and Infamous 2 and Rocksteady has outdone themselves again with City. Going for a more open world exploration, you are Batman who is stuck in a city full of thugs and prisoners of different source. That in itself is awesome enough but what surprised me is how City uses Asylum'sArkham Asylum was pretty much one of the best superhero games I have ever played and is up there with Spiderman 2 and Infamous 2 and Rocksteady has outdone themselves again with City. Going for a more open world exploration, you are Batman who is stuck in a city full of thugs and prisoners of different source. That in itself is awesome enough but what surprised me is how City uses Asylum's already brilliant gameplay mechanics and made it work in the open world without being stale in itself. The story itself, though a bit bloated because of the countless villains in it, it does an awesome job making the bloatedness engaging and at times provocative. If you love Asylum, you will love City and if you love Batman in general, why do you even want to miss this? Expand
  17. Jan 8, 2012
    Batman Arkham City delivers and meets everyones expectations. Thanks to a bigger scope, while still remaining an alive and detailed comic book world, improved combat, a deeper story, a jaw dropping ending, and tons of replay value, Batman Arkham City is not only one of the best games of the year, but it's also the best licensed video game ever made.
  18. Feb 22, 2015
    The combat is so simple yet so addicting. One hit of the square button after finishing a 10-12 combo has never felt so satisfying. The only problem in this game is the grapple hook, as sometimes it can be inaccurate and annoying.
  19. Jan 23, 2013
    A mind-blowing sequel to a mind-blowing original, Rocksteady did a fine job on increasing the scale of the game and adding tons of new DC characters (villains, mostly) and not dropping the quality bar on the story (which is even better than the original, with an awesome beginning where you get to play as Bruce Wayne without his suit, and the absolutely shocking unpredictable ending),A mind-blowing sequel to a mind-blowing original, Rocksteady did a fine job on increasing the scale of the game and adding tons of new DC characters (villains, mostly) and not dropping the quality bar on the story (which is even better than the original, with an awesome beginning where you get to play as Bruce Wayne without his suit, and the absolutely shocking unpredictable ending), graphics (still pretty, though as usual all the male models are super-muscular and the chicks are super-hot) and gameplay (new gadgets, new combos, more convict ass-kicking). My only little complaint are the Riddler's trophies. In Asylum I collected all of them and it was the first and only game where I actually got all the collectibles. Although in Arkham City there are just way too many of them - 400 (four bloody hundred!) for Batman and additional 40 for Catwoman. I tried getting all of them but it actually gets a bit boring after a while, so it was a bit of a letdown for me. Otherwise, it's a masterpiece. Expand
  20. May 4, 2013
    For starters its a proven fact that im probably the biggest Batman nerd alive!! hahaha... so its gonna be obvious that i absolutely loved this game!! This is the definative Batman experience! Whether you're doing the story, the side missions or just fighting crime on the streets of Gotham, this game makes you feel like you're Batman!! and seriously what more could you want?
  21. Nov 19, 2013
    Bueno ni que decir tiene que este juego me ha decepcionado muchisimo, el 1 estaba muy bien, pero me dejo un poco con ganas de mas, pense que este me haria conformarme pero e gusto mucho menos que el 1º, la ciudad es un laberinto, es como una prision de la 3º parte de alien, es algo inverosimil, batman no tiene vidad, esta como muy pesado, como dije, la ciudad esta como muerta, no tieneBueno ni que decir tiene que este juego me ha decepcionado muchisimo, el 1 estaba muy bien, pero me dejo un poco con ganas de mas, pense que este me haria conformarme pero e gusto mucho menos que el 1º, la ciudad es un laberinto, es como una prision de la 3º parte de alien, es algo inverosimil, batman no tiene vidad, esta como muy pesado, como dije, la ciudad esta como muerta, no tiene vida, no me gusto el juego, solo lo jegue unos dias hasta que me canse, porque se vuelve repititivo, aburrido y monotono, no lo recomiendo Expand
  22. Jul 31, 2012
    Very good game. Ok first the good: Characters, Joker, Graphics, Voice acting, Music, you feel like a batman and gameplay. And then the bad: short main story, not so good boss battles and the story aint so good. But the ending was...
  23. Dec 3, 2015
    This game improves on soooo many levels from the previous one, the combat is smoother, the world is bigger, more badass villains, and cat woman's booty, what more can you ask for, BE THE BATMAN!!!!!!
  24. Jun 9, 2016
    One of my favourite PS3 games ever. There was so much to do outside of the main story line which was also very good and enticing. Combat system was very engaging and fun. Movement was fluid in most places and there was nothing in this game that frustrated or annoyed me which is rare. Awesome game.
  25. Jan 9, 2014
    An action game that improves on it's predecessor. Arkham City is much larger and just more fun. The villains are very well represented (the Joker especially), the world is massive, the narrative is well done, the visuals are impressive and the music is great. While i honestly found the beginning a little slow, this game is great in every regard.
  26. Aug 29, 2014
    Batman:Arkham City

Game-play:Almost the same as the first game but this is not bad it have some small changes it gives you more opportunities of stealth a bigger and more open map this is open world game same new gadgets and new upgrades and combos.Also it let you play as cat woman in 4 missions and the missions are well made especially the last one Story:Awsome story it have some
    Batman:Arkham City

Story:Awsome story it have some great villains like mr freeze,penguin,two face,ras al ghul,doctor strange,clay face and do not forget joker.The story will take you around 8 to 9 hours.

Graphics:Well made graphics with detail.

Notes:Awsome game i really love it the side missions are very good and the collectibles are to gather the only reason i give this game a 9 out of 10 is because i think it rash into the story very fast if they could take some time to build the story around a little more it would be a 10 out of 10
  27. Apr 11, 2016
    If you love Batman, you're gonna love this game. If you don't love Batman, then you'll enjoy the game too, as it doesn't go over the head of a casual fan's head with the story. Simply put BUY THIS GAME!
  28. Apr 28, 2018
    Just when Batman Arkham Asylum was so good, this game blew that game away! They took a huge step forward with this game and it paid off! Best Batman game to date!
  29. Oct 22, 2014
    Batman: Arkham Asylum was a master piece when it came out. Arkham City made Arkham Asylum small. Need i say more? It´s the ultimate Batman experience.
    STORY AND CHARACTERS: With so many story background in the Batman universe how could it go wrong? Some new fighting villains and NPC's are also welcome.
    PRESENTATION: The dark feel to the game that Rocksteady presented us in AA is
    PRESENTATION: The dark feel to the game that Rocksteady presented us in AA is augmented in this installment which is to say that they managed to improve perfection.
    GAMEPLAY: New NPC's aside there are some tweaks in the combat system. Not much because it was already awesome.
    PROGRESSION: Same as AA. You get throughout the campaign new gadgets that are improved with the XP earning. Didn't find that much difference.
    ONLINE: Unexisting. No problem with that. For me Batman AC it's a solo experience. Anything different than that would probably ruin the game.
    Batman AC delivered a better experience than is predecessor which is to say a lot. One of the best PS3 games.
  30. Apr 30, 2015
    There's a real sense of progression to Arkham City in its gameplay, in its story, in the variety of its missions (the abundance of open world side-quests will keep you busy for a long, long time), and in the evolution of its pointy-eared protagonist, that really deserves to be commended.

1. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Dec 29, 2011
    Arkham City is the best reflection of the Batman-comic books ever. Not because of the sheer amount of famous enemies that challenge our hero, but thanks to the amazing atmosphere that oozes from every pore of this remarkable action game. [Nov 2011, p.70]
  2. Nov 29, 2011
    All in all, outside of a few minor issues, I couldn't ask for a better Batman experience. If Arkham City was a graphic novel, it would be considered a classic.
  3. Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
    Nov 18, 2011
    Arkham City should be celebrated as a shining achievement for the action-adventure genre for its masterful execution. [Holiday 2011, p.70]