5.8

1. Oct 30, 2013
    I'm not even gonna talk about the solo gameplay, boring and disappointing, I'll focus on the important thing. THE MULTIPLAYER.

First off I'd like to point out that I played and liked BF 3, reached colonel level 10, I know is not that much but is enough to be familiar with the game. I've been playing the multiplayer all day and got nothing but stress, around 6-7 hours of gameplay.

BF4's multiplayer is not bad, it has potential, but the problem is that I consider it very inferior from BF3's multiplayer, I'll let you know my reasons.

Vehicles: I'll start with the general problems regarding vehicles: First off, they changed all the controls for them, how hard is to put an option to drive/pilot them with the BF3 regular controls?, not hard, but they didn't the most similar setting is "veteran" but even so, the triggers of the controller are completely changed even between helis and planes, maybe is no bif deal since you'll get used to them soon or later, but there was nothing wrong with the old controls. ALL of the air vehicles are slower, VERY VERY SLOWER, they feel strange kinda like if you were driving a cloud, you don't feel the same weight and control that you had in BF3.

Helicopter: it feels I don't know how to describe it, is slower and is like moving a cloud around, you don't feel the weight or the mobility from BF3's chopper, is not really that bad really, but you'll get down far more easy than in BF3.

Jets: They completely ruined the jets for me, they are horrible, they are very VERY VERY slow, they have more maneuverability, but is completely eclipsed by the big mistake that dice did, you can no longer fly away from the map, that's right the main map is all the space you have to fly, this transforms the jets into a completely useless machines, they only fight other jets, oh and what other jets? well JUST 1, that's right in every map there are only 1 jet per team, I mean I wasn't a flying ace in BF3 but I enjoyed the feel I had a 4 star in the jets I may not be the best but I do know how to fly them, and let me tell you, jets in BF4 are broken, really they doesn't matter they don't do any difference, because, you feel inside a cage, they wouldn't be so bad if the space was bigger but no, the lack of space in the map transforms the jets into useless machines.

Ground vehicles: they're more or less the same, but they have more power towards air vehicles, with the veteran config you'll manage to drive around like BF3 but with the triggers inverted. Otherwise they're the same.

Professions and footsoldiers: you gonna die in this game, A LOT, they changed the feel and the accuracy of the weapons, its the same problem you don't seem to have good control on them, they feel heavier, some do more damage and less damage, talking about the professions they broke support profession, you can get the C4 as the last gadget, that let you with claymore and a lot ot useless crap, since the bullet box isn't aviable from start. Medic, is harder to revive allies, you need to actually get down to do it, and you get only 20 points per revive, plus you don't start with the defibrillators, they "long ranged" weapons doesn't seem to be as effective as in BF3.

Maps: the main problem with the maps is that they are too big and open or too small and narrow, there's no middle point, either you're always in the open or you can't seem to find or see anyone, the "levolution" thing is not as impressive as you thing... you trigger some little changed that sometimes ruin the map like flooding a narrow map... yeah, becaue everyone likes to swim everywhere, a ship crashes into an island... yeah but that doesn't change anything, you don't even noticed, in the big maps takes you forever to find someone and in the narrow maps you get frustrated because the lack of space... every map of battlefield 3 is better than the maps of BF4 that's all I've got to say.

General Dissapoint: there are some minor things that are annoying, that you simply can't understand why they did that. for example, in my soldier settings you can no longer manage your vehicles and soldier weapons and stuff you need to be inside a match to do it, why? beats me, when you're trying to find a match you CANNOT longer choose the map you want to play, I mean WHY?, what was wrong with that?, I pre-orderd the game to get china rising before, and guess what?, around 8 hours of multiplayer gameplay and I DIDN?T PLAYED IN THE FRIGGIN MAP EVEN ONCE, what was wrong with choosing the map? maybe you want to train jets or helicopters or like a map in specific well you're because the map is going to choose the map for you and there's nothing you could do about it.

Anyway, I highly regret preorder this game...but there's not a lot I can do now. My advice?, stick with battlefield 3, until some changed are done BF4's multiplayer is nothing against its older brother. maybe you don't believe me, if you want prove RENT IT FIRST. I'll be playing BF3. See you there.
  2. Oct 29, 2013
    Not bad and not good as well.Most features and gameplay of it are same as BF3. Graphics are slightly different and destruction are same. Lack of cutscenes and events have impact for it. Singleplayer is too damn short and worst than WarZ. Multiplayer is good but very unbalanced and buggy. Especially SP.

No more words, modes are same as well. 5/10.
  3. Feb 13, 2014
    Although this could have been the best Battlefield game ever, this chance was wasted and the legacy of "the best game ever" (in my opinion) was squandered just to compete with the "other" game. This game was unfinished right from the start (even the beta was an alpha indeed) and was rushed to be released before COD. Yes, it introduces many new -and nice- features but turns into pureAlthough this could have been the best Battlefield game ever, this chance was wasted and the legacy of "the best game ever" (in my opinion) was squandered just to compete with the "other" game. This game was unfinished right from the start (even the beta was an alpha indeed) and was rushed to be released before COD. Yes, it introduces many new -and nice- features but turns into pure abomination in the end due to the constant freezing, disconnections and the countless bugs. On my ps3 system (don't begin to say the gameplay was intended for next-gen since there's something called "optimization" and if the PS3 system wasn't enough to deal with the game then it shouldn't be released for that console in the first place), it freezes on my "every" play and enough is enough. I regret that I even purchased Premium right from the start. The patches, on the other hand, didn't help at all. It's sad to see the Battlefield series at its current state. I hope BF5 will be tested properly and have more constant MP (as well as SP). My 5 out of 10 is dedicated to the fun I had with the game in spite of many frustrating moments. But I have to admit, this is the worst BF product ever. Expand
  4. Nov 24, 2013
    This latest entry in the Battlefield series manages to provide a decent FPS experience, but overall lacks the necessary polish and wow factor to make it stand out in the ever growing crowd of first-person shooters competing for the multiplayer crown. It proves that name alone doesn't make up for a rush job of a game. Still despite its issues it still provides a decent enough of anThis latest entry in the Battlefield series manages to provide a decent FPS experience, but overall lacks the necessary polish and wow factor to make it stand out in the ever growing crowd of first-person shooters competing for the multiplayer crown. It proves that name alone doesn't make up for a rush job of a game. Still despite its issues it still provides a decent enough of an experience to be worth a spot in your multiplayer selections, just don't expect greatness.

The campaign is enjoyable enough to be worth a playthrough. It's short and the characters and story are forgettable, but the firefight you'll find here are fun enough to keep you entertained until the credits roll. The only thing that really stands out about it is the fact that you can rank up a high-score based on how well you perform. For the most part though it is about what you would expect for a modern FPS campaign. Lots of explosions and set pieces all crammed into a 4 to 5 hour experience. It's not perfect but it is far from the worst campaign I've played in a FPS. But let's be honest no one is going to buy this game for its campaign, multiplayer is the strength of this series.

As far as multiplayer goes it to is simply an adequate experience. It's also where the game feels the most rushed. The graphics, which manage to stay pretty nice throughout the campaign, are atrocious during multiplayer matches. Textures are washed out and everything just looks dated and ugly. Gameplay manages to hold up for the most part with a nice selection of maps and game modes. Minor glitches and some balancing issues hold the experience back, but what really hurts the experience is the sense of deja vu. It feels remarkably like Battlefield 3 did, only with dated presentation. But even with issues Battlefield 4's multiplayer provides enough thrills to be worth playing.

Overall it seems like DICE rushed out this latest Battlefield simply to compete with the latest Call of Duty. It lacks the polish of previous entries in the series and ends up feeling like more of the same. In the end it is hard to complain about more of the Battlefield series sweet multiplayer, even if it does feel very rushed. It may not wow you in the same way Battlefield 3 did, but its multiplayer will keep you entertained. I can only hope that with the next Battlefield that DICE manages to make sure everything is up to snuff before releasing it. I understand that they want to compete with COD, but they will only manage to hurt themselves if they don't add that last layer of polish.
  5. Nov 12, 2013
    Overall, fairly decent. The relatively short campaign starts well, but finishes poorly, and its a definite step down from that of BF3. Still, there appears to have been some effort put into it, and so ill give DICE/EA credit for that. Multiplayer isn't bad. As others have said, those who have already reached higher levels are at a significant advantage compared to those have just began toOverall, fairly decent. The relatively short campaign starts well, but finishes poorly, and its a definite step down from that of BF3. Still, there appears to have been some effort put into it, and so ill give DICE/EA credit for that. Multiplayer isn't bad. As others have said, those who have already reached higher levels are at a significant advantage compared to those have just began to start playing it, due to poor weapon balancing. Maps overall are pretty ordinary, there are some standouts though, and the levolution is great.

As i said, overall its decent, i rate it higher than ghosts, but it does feel slightly inferior to BF3 on several fronts. I can't help but feel that with the number of bugs and moments of screen tearing that ive seen that it was made for next gen, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it would still have been nice if it had be "polished" a little more for this gen.
  6. Jan 1, 2014
    Review from a long time battlefield fan (since 1942).

In one sentence... Do not buy this game yet. This is the most disappointing game I've bought this year. I mean, I've had some fun with it, and am still playing it, but the problems are so severe its not even funny. This game is, in almost every way, inferior to BF 3. In a nutshell, the campaign is an improvement from the
    Review from a long time battlefield fan (since 1942).

In one sentence... Do not buy this game yet.

In a nutshell, the campaign is an improvement from the console BF3. Its well paced, much more open ended, and much more fun than its predecessor campaign. The graphics on the campaign are also quite good for current gen consoles (ps3/360).

Apart from that minor advantage over BF3, the game is ultimately inferior. The first thing you will notice in the multiplayer are the severe pop in issues. These were prevalent in BF3, but they are much worse here. The textures are also VERY slow to load. There are many in door levels in the game where its clear that the developers did not even bother to add textures.

Before getting to more negatives, on the positive side... the multiplayer features plenty of guns. The sound design is great. Some of the new game modes are great as well. Obliteration, for instance, when its working right, is a perfect fit for consoles. It merges the large scale destruction of conquest with an objective that keeps the action focused and frantic. Its really a very fun mode.

More importantly, this game suffers from some of the worst bugs I have ever seen in a major title. I bought this game after christmas. Despite the game being out for almost two months, I have experienced a variety of major issues. First of all, YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR CAMPAIGN PROGRESS once you switch to multiplayer. This issue has been brought to the teams attention OVER a month ago but has still not been fixed. LUCKILY, if you play the campaign ALL THE WAY THROUGH, without switching to multiplayer, you can AT LEAST keep your weapon unlocks and trophies. A heads up, there are FOUR guns to be unlocked in the campaign. One in the first level, 3 in the last. I will not give any spoilers.

I think that the above mentioned problem by itself is pretty awful but there are more. On the multiplayer side, the game freezes every so often and you will have to reboot your PS3. This has happened to me, on average, once per roughly every 3 hour session In addition, THERE IS ABOLUTELY NO PARTY SUPPORT. This means that you cannot create a party with your friends and join a game together. Instead, you must join a friends game or get invited to it. This doesn't seem like a bug, it seems it was intentionally omitted from the game. This speaks to the level of quality of this product.

Another issue is the spawns. Initially, the spawns on modes like squad deathmatch were very bad... usually placing someone right in front of the enemy. This seems to have been fixed. However, there is still a possibility that you will spawn UNDER THE MAP.

The controls have also been changed. These can be set back by switching to all VETERAN settings in the options menu. I am not docking the game for these choices, but I did find it personally annoying.

Ultimately, BF4 is a game that fans may enjoy. It does provide the same basic CONSOLE BF experience. However, something important was lost with this release. This game is by no means a quality product. It is riddled with game breaking bugs that go far and beyond what to expect with a major release. Some will discount any of the campaign bugs as insignificant because "no one plays the campaign", but that is simply wrong. I know people who ONLY play FPS for their campaigns. On top of that, if the most basic functions of your single player (such as keeping your progress) don't work...what else is wrong with it. The truth is, there is alot wrong with this game. I bought this game for 25$ on sale. I sometimes have the urge to buy the DLC, but i'm not going to do it. This product is unacceptable. These problems need to be fixed and if they are not, this company needs to feel the consequences. I understand that many of us love DICE, but that doesn't change the fact that this game is simply incomplete. I am truly disappointed with this game.
  7. Jan 20, 2014
    Theres 3 constants in this world; death, taxes, & BF4 crashing.

But anyhow still a good game overall especially the new game modes. But some of the excellent aspects of bf3 have been changed or removed. Why do this? You have an awesome feature that works well & so you decide to alter it because 'we gotta change something so its not too similar'. The bugs are a bit annoying.. annoying
    Theres 3 constants in this world; death, taxes, & BF4 crashing.

The bugs are a bit annoying.. annoying because they are so obvious. When obvious bugs are missed alarm bells ring with regard to a companies practice. What were they doing... Does the pressure of getting it out the door overide the playabilty factor?

Who knows.. still a good solid game that is better and worse than bf3.
  8. Mar 6, 2014
    The campaign is terrible. But, that's not why I bought it. Multiplayer is Ok and the maps are cool, the problem is you can't play for more than 30-40 min without the game crashing and freezing your ps3 forcing you to turn it off. THIS IS A HUGE problem with this game. EA or DICE should do something about it. Before you buy this game, google Battlefield 4 freezing ps3 or something similar,The campaign is terrible. But, that's not why I bought it. Multiplayer is Ok and the maps are cool, the problem is you can't play for more than 30-40 min without the game crashing and freezing your ps3 forcing you to turn it off. THIS IS A HUGE problem with this game. EA or DICE should do something about it. Before you buy this game, google Battlefield 4 freezing ps3 or something similar, you will find it is all over the forums for the game. It's almost 6 months after the release of the game and it still hasn't been fixed. Consider that before you buy it. Expand
  9. Dec 3, 2013
    Review of multiplayer only Battlefield 3 showed me what Call of Duty was missing. I never thought I would go back to CoD, but if they cannot do better than this with their follow up effort I just might have to. I wish there was a Battlefield clone that I could recommend for those of you are addicted to the large scale warfare set in a realistic world that requires teamwork and includesReview of multiplayer only Battlefield 3 showed me what Call of Duty was missing. I never thought I would go back to CoD, but if they cannot do better than this with their follow up effort I just might have to. I wish there was a Battlefield clone that I could recommend for those of you are addicted to the large scale warfare set in a realistic world that requires teamwork and includes vehicles, but unfortunately this is probably the best you are going to get. If you haven't played BF3 yet, I would highly recommend that instead... if they still run BF3 servers that is.

There are just so many "headscratching" moments during any given session that it really make me wonder if this could possibly have been the finished product they intended. I realize this was probably designed for the next-gen systems and the PS3 was an afterthought, but here are some of my issues:
    1) Bullet detection I cannot count the number of times I have just WAILED on an unsuspecting opponent from close range with my primary weapon run out of ammo switch to my sidearm and hit him some more just to have him turn around and shoot me once with a pistol and I go down immediately. Then, as if to demonstrate just how poorly their software is working, the "I just got killed" screen shows me that my target still has 50% of his life left... wha? and while I must admit I sometimes get to be the unsuspecting target with the pistol that was magically victorious, it does not make me feel any better about it.
    2) The gunner on just about every vehicle is so much weaker than in BF3. Picking off guys in the helicopter or from the gunner seat in a tank used to be fun. Now you plug a guy several times and they still won't go down. The vehicles are pretty much only good for rides across the giant maps. The jets used to be my favorite... they are pretty much worthless now and I pass on them every time.
    3) Graphical anomalies during round startup!? Why would you want the round to start before all the textures were loaded? The first 30 seconds of every round looks like you're playing on a PS One. And the sound during this time period is atrocious.
    4) Sound This is the first game that I have noticed the sound... which means it is BAD... REAL BAD. Long stretches (30 minutes) of sounding like I'm under water. Random loss of sound. And I'm guessing many of the times that I'm been killed by one magic bullet is actually probably the 6th or 7th fired, the sound of the first 5 isn't heard on my machine.
    5) I've been playing the game for a month and very few games have locked up requiring a restart as often as this one has.

Am I going to stop playing? No. If fact, I'll probably get it for the PS4 when I finally get one. But I'm just coming to realize that I am more fond of the concept/potential of this game versus the game itself. If this had been the first BF I played back in my CoD days, there's no way I would be a BF fan.
  10. Jan 28, 2014
    I think that not only to me but to a lot of fans out there Battlefield 4 is probably one of the, if not the most disappointing game of the year. The campaign is probably the worst aspect of this game, which is bad because i'm a big campaign and story guy. It does not deliver and provides an experience that is frustrating and in no way engaging. Now for the multiplayer. It's good, but notI think that not only to me but to a lot of fans out there Battlefield 4 is probably one of the, if not the most disappointing game of the year. The campaign is probably the worst aspect of this game, which is bad because i'm a big campaign and story guy. It does not deliver and provides an experience that is frustrating and in no way engaging. Now for the multiplayer. It's good, but not for long periods of time. The levelutions are cool, but not once you've seen them all in the trailers. As much as it pains me to say it, Call of Duty: Ghosts completely puts Battlefield 4 to shame! Expand
  11. Jan 12, 2014
    Fun game when it works. The trouble is that it glitches more than it works. The MP is fun and isn't super glitchy most of the time but the SP will delete your progress, unlocks and sometimes will load in with sound but no image. Mediocre.
  12. Nov 7, 2013
    If you can put up with the freezing, and the glitches and the incredibly short campaign, you may get some value out of the multiplayer. Personally I never play online, so I can't comment on that, but the campaign was very disappointing. I watched a video where the developers were saying how wonderful Frostbite 3 was and and how lifelike it made the characters......wrong. They still moveIf you can put up with the freezing, and the glitches and the incredibly short campaign, you may get some value out of the multiplayer. Personally I never play online, so I can't comment on that, but the campaign was very disappointing. I watched a video where the developers were saying how wonderful Frostbite 3 was and and how lifelike it made the characters......wrong. They still move like they have a deformity and the script/voice acting is terrible. All in all, a pretty disappointing effort. Expand
  13. Nov 8, 2013
    A great game that could have got a deserved 9+ from almost everyone if it wasn't for the awful launch, bugs, crashes and high pings that are still plaguing multiplayer. The graphics, effects and sound as always is absolutely spot on and people who loved BF3 should love this as well when Dice sufficiently fix the game to actually make it playable that is.
  14. Nov 2, 2013
    Let me start off by saying i am a BF3 fanboy. I think it beats call of duty hands down. That being said, what the hell have they done to my beloved series?! Where to start? Lets see...what the hell is the deal with the complete utter crap of bullet damage!!?? I have emptied 3 sets of burst shots into someone just to have them turn around and shoot me in the chest with 2 shots from aLet me start off by saying i am a BF3 fanboy. I think it beats call of duty hands down. That being said, what the hell have they done to my beloved series?! Where to start? Lets see...what the hell is the deal with the complete utter crap of bullet damage!!?? I have emptied 3 sets of burst shots into someone just to have them turn around and shoot me in the chest with 2 shots from a pistol and kill me. Shot people running around on the ground with fully auto shells from tanks just to have them keep running like its a cap gun. Shoot someone 4 or 5 times and then have them kill you showing 100% life still even though you watched the impact indicators before you die on them. Vehicle controls are sloppy as can be and the slightest turn sends them off the side of the road,. Destroying vehicles with anything but the torch is a long test of patience now seeing as they all seem to shrug off shells and rockets like they have some invisible shield. I had such high hopes for this game and have literally put over 200 hours of playtime into bf3, but I am pissed and want a refund. They took everything that was good about bf3 and changed it. The maps are not much fun to boot. Dice should be ashamed. Now i am reduced to either hoping people keep playing bf3 or jumping on the bandwagon of call of duty kids. God I dread that as in my opinion Call of duty is nothing but a small rat maze with no strategy, merely whoever can run around and get their sights up the quickest. Expand
  15. Oct 30, 2013
    Battlefield 4 on current generation consoles without a doubt suffers major setbacks both technical and unfortunately by the very own incompetence of dice. Going in you should expect low resolution textures, frame drops and missing features to be a common occurrence. However what was not expected was a mash up of a Battlefields identity with Call of Duty elements that ultimately serve toBattlefield 4 on current generation consoles without a doubt suffers major setbacks both technical and unfortunately by the very own incompetence of dice. Going in you should expect low resolution textures, frame drops and missing features to be a common occurrence. However what was not expected was a mash up of a Battlefields identity with Call of Duty elements that ultimately serve to dumb down the entire experience. From bright red circles that highlight a grenades life span, extreme amounts aim assist at close range and vehicles that have been majority nerfed in every aspect to make the game easier. It's clear this is Dices best attempt to make Battlefield a game more accessible for the causal audience. On the flip side of the coin you have to question several design decisions as well. At release the game ships without a party system to play with friends which is unheard of in today's age of gaming. However the most absurd might be the lack of editing your weapons/vehicles in the games main menu system. Instead you are forced to actually go into a match and spend time tinkering with all sorts of unlocks while being completely useless to your team, or go log into battlelog on a tablet, or laptop and edit your loadouts remotely. Equally impressive is how Dice is centering the majority of unlocks on a lottery system called battlepacks. Instead of earning a scope by racking up experience with a gun, you are forced to unlock it by simple luck by opening battlepacks. It is a system that is solely designed to suck your wallet dry. Gameplay wise despite all of the above I still would consider Battlefield 4 to be the best of the shooters currently out. However that's not saying a lot considering today's state of the shooter market where it is cod or this. I found my experience overall a marginal upgrade from Battlefield 3 and when this game makes the switch to next generation simply adding 64 players and pretty graphics will not hide this titles flaws. I hope next time around Dice you create a true battlefield game and not a hybrid of call of duty... Expand
  16. Nov 1, 2013
    This game is really 'meh'. The gameplay is just so mediocre. I thought the story was actually its stronger element. The guns just all feel alike and I can't pinpoint it, but the combat is not satisfying whatsoever. I liked BF3, but this is just more of the same. The parity between those who like to hog the vehicles and those on the ground is just too high. I think this is where I begin toThis game is really 'meh'. The gameplay is just so mediocre. I thought the story was actually its stronger element. The guns just all feel alike and I can't pinpoint it, but the combat is not satisfying whatsoever. I liked BF3, but this is just more of the same. The parity between those who like to hog the vehicles and those on the ground is just too high. I think this is where I begin to prefer COD, where everyone begins on equal footing. The destructive environments hyped in the commercials aren't executed as well as they claim to be. There were far too many AI blips and a few frustrating bugs that hinted that this game was rushed. Expand
  17. Nov 5, 2013
    Right now, i'm being generous with my score. So many basic problems that just seem lazy to not have sorted before release.

I've played through the campaign, it was playable but forgettable. At least it was playable up until you turn your system off or quit out and the game decides to delete your entire campaign save file. But lets make no mistake about it, battlefield is all about the multiplayer and i'm basing my review solely on that.

Why the hell is there no party system of any kind for christ sake? Bf3 party system wasn't great and caused numerous joining problems but at least it existed! why just remove something so vital completely? Won't moan about connection issues just yet as sadly it's now become inevitable the first month minimum of most games have major connection issues, it shouldn't be the case that people just accept it but i trust it will be sorted eventually!

Other stupid omissions from the game like not being able to quick search for a particular map or not being able to skip the full servers in the server browser make finding a game very tedious. Not being able to customise your loadout in the menu's, meaning you either do it via battlelog (I actually like battlelog in general and this feature in particular) or you do it in game and lose about half the game time customising instead of actually playing the game.

When you get past all that and manage to get into a game the gameplay is mainly standard battlefield, it's what we've come to expect and there isn't really much need for any core changes. However i've noticed a few cod-like gameplay tweaks sneaking in such as taking less bullets to dying, you're dead before you even realise you're being shot at and try to respond and the overhaul of the sniper class is dreadful, it just feels very very easy and overpowered now whereas in previous battlefield games the sniper class was something only good players could play effectively. They are small changes but have made the game considerably less skillful and enjoyable in my eyes.

Finally the maps. The levolution inclusion is a great innovative feature. I feel there;s only a few maps where it actually changes the way the map is played in any noticeable way but it bodes very well for future bf installments. The overall layout of the maps are fairly poor though. The conquest maps aren't too bad, there's a decent variety in there but most maps either feel too open or too enclosed with no middle ground. There are no maps that spring to mind as a potential battlefield classic but most are playable. When you switch to a smaller game mode however such as team deathmatch or domination the maps in general are fairly poorly designed, in particular floodzone is absolutely terrible.

Overall, there are a lot more things wrong with this game than there was with bf3. It's by no means a bad game but given the potential it's so far disappointing. Luckily, most of the issues are easily fixed so lets just hope Dice/EA get their fingers out of their arse's and do so soon.
  18. Mar 6, 2014
    For those who are looking for a battle simulator, this is your game, perhaps the main campaign is not the best one the multiplayer is where the game really shine, tons of guns, vehicles to ride and a nice action pack on 12 vs 12 games 2 more if you include Commander, add to this formula, Battlelog, the web / tablet / smartphone companion to see all your stats is just perfect.
    My main
    My main complain is that have a lot of bugs, most of they are disconnections and freeze making my ps3 check the hard drive everytime i restart it, 7 points for me!
  19. Nov 11, 2013
    Good fun campaign that has some great setpieces (albeit could use some better writing). The mutiplayer is annoying in that it gives those who've played longer much better weapons and thus it's tough in the beginning, BUT it still is fun. The levoluiton is cool and while some levels are meh and i wish the player count was up but the smaller scale battles don't have that problem. Good gameGood fun campaign that has some great setpieces (albeit could use some better writing). The mutiplayer is annoying in that it gives those who've played longer much better weapons and thus it's tough in the beginning, BUT it still is fun. The levoluiton is cool and while some levels are meh and i wish the player count was up but the smaller scale battles don't have that problem. Good game but it was clearly built for the next gen. Expand
  20. Nov 30, 2013
    Battlefield 4 is a much better game than BF3. The graphics are great and the character models look amazingly realistic. The multiplayer is also better than BF3, with the addition of levolution. I think the best part about this game is the single player campaign, their are some sad and touching moments during he story. BF4 has a great and memorable cast of characters like Recker, Irish,Battlefield 4 is a much better game than BF3. The graphics are great and the character models look amazingly realistic. The multiplayer is also better than BF3, with the addition of levolution. I think the best part about this game is the single player campaign, their are some sad and touching moments during he story. BF4 has a great and memorable cast of characters like Recker, Irish, Hannah, and Pac. Theirs a lot of things to do after you finish the campaign, you could complete it at a higher difficulty, you can collect all the guns/collectibles and complete all the assignments. This is a solid shooter, with an underrated campaign, and also this games graphics/story/gameplay are way better than COD: Ghosts. Overall Score= 78/100 Expand
  21. Nov 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Battlefield is hailed by many to be a Call of Duty killer and one of the best first person shooter experiences on the market. However in the latest iteration of battlefield all is not as well as I first thought.

Firstly the Single Player campaign although improved from Battlefield 3's awful single player effort remains a painfully dull experience in which the U.S marines as in the majority of Modern Military Shooters go off and try to save the world bringing freedom, swearing and more macho dialogue however for once they aren't fighting the Russians they are fighting the Chinese and the Russians how original. In terms of gameplay it is mixture of corridor shooting action and more open action for the player. In fairness to Dice the open world sections are nice and are a refreshing change from corridors and the weapon unlocks and the ability to chose your own kit are nice additions to the game. However trying to create an emotional story whilst gaining points for headshots is a questionable design choice.

Secondly the Multiplayer. Tradditionally the best part of Battlefield this part of the game has 10 mostly great maps such as operation locker and Paracel Storm along with returning modes such as Rush and Conquest which are noticeably more interesting due to better maps which is suprising considering the ancient hardware its running on with action feeling less sparse and more exciting. Furthermore new modes such as Obliteration are really fun increasing the ammount of team work required to win as transportation of the bomb carrier is key. The ammount of kit at your command has also improved with the attatchments and gadgets system overhauled giving the player more freedom within the returning classes which have also seen improvements in balancing to all with Support and Reacon players playing an important role. Also the Levolution Dice has been talking about really does have an effect on the game with the ability to use lifts to reach a rooftop or raise and lower bollards to prevent vehicles using a bridge is a really great feature. However issues from the previous game have also been transported over along with several new ones. Firstly a whole host of bugs return such as audio and animation glitches which are getting increasingly annoying as the developers just aren't fixing them. Furthermore the new weighted feel although more realistic makes the solider feel a bit stiff in movement although it is a good addition ultimately it does need adjusting in my opinion. As well as that the netcode has been reported to be even worse with players desynced to others in the game which can be borderline game breaking although this is rare for the most part. Lastly the graphics have taken a hit although I don't think they are worse that the past game I do think some texture issues and considerable pop in and frame rate drops before and after the levolution events in the game which ultimately believe are gimicky anyway even detrimenting your experience of the actual gameplay in maps like flood zone which makes anyone in the water after the dam collapses a sitting duck to rooftop dwellers and vehicles which can get very irritating if one team is dominating.

Overall I believe this game has taken some steps forward but some steps back as well in certain areas. Ultimately I feel that if you have played Battlefield in the past you will enjoy this game and be willing to over look its flaws but new players will be disappointed in the current gen version compared with the next gen version. Whilst this is a good game there are a lot of things holding it back and right now I am disappointed and hope that the next battlefield will be better.

P.S This is based on the current gen version from a long time fan of the series This also is based on my opinions
  22. Nov 7, 2013
    Battlefield 4 shows a great improvement compared to it's predecessor. Though the gameplay was roughly similar, some new much needed features were added that really made it much better. The story, although not perfect, was greatly better than that of BF3.

DICE certainly focused a lot more on the campaign and tryed their best to make it great, but I felt like it could have been more. Multiplayer wise, the maps were mostly well designed and very easy to navigate once you get used to them. The game feels very balanced, and I almost never felt like it was one-sided.

The destructuble enviorement was well executed and well balanced. You can destroy huge buildings without ruining the entire map, wich was nice. The graphics were very realistic, much better looking than CoD: Ghosts, so that makes it a winner. The physics and sounds were almost as good as real life, but they lacked that certain «Oumpff» to make it perfect.

My only complaint is the uncountable amount of bugs this game contains. If you plan on buying it, wait a month or two so EA can fix all the bugs.
  23. Nov 21, 2013
    This game has its good points, but, there were a lot of issues and bugs with the game in its current state, sometimes it freezes, sometimes the graphics don't load, and the story mode was very annoying at some points, like when it deletes your progress. The storyline is also more of a gauntlet when it comes to big fights and the enemies will come in droves, which, even on its lowestThis game has its good points, but, there were a lot of issues and bugs with the game in its current state, sometimes it freezes, sometimes the graphics don't load, and the story mode was very annoying at some points, like when it deletes your progress. The storyline is also more of a gauntlet when it comes to big fights and the enemies will come in droves, which, even on its lowest difficulty setting its painstakingly hard to survive thirty-five dudes shooting at you at once and it just gets a little bit overwhelming. Personally, I preferred Battlefield 3. Expand
  24. Jan 25, 2014
    Found this game to be somewhat of a disappointment. I give credit to the computer engineers as I know how difficult programming is going thru engineering school myself. However I just found the game sloppy, monotonous and over hyped for what a fps should be..as soon as you get a sniper rifle you could easily pass each stage of the campaign without much strategy.. TypicAl point and shootFound this game to be somewhat of a disappointment. I give credit to the computer engineers as I know how difficult programming is going thru engineering school myself. However I just found the game sloppy, monotonous and over hyped for what a fps should be..as soon as you get a sniper rifle you could easily pass each stage of the campaign without much strategy.. TypicAl point and shoot camp wait to heal up and go again for the kill kind of game.. The story in the campaign itself was predicable and not interesting..oh and the game freezes and is quite laggy Expand
  25. Dec 21, 2014
    Teams of 10-12 players conquering the large, exotic maps, that sort of stuff makes the game fun for a dozen hours. Few players used their headsets, but teamwork was still possible. Some maps are DLC and I didn't play those. I would say the game is enjoyable enough without DLC. The different game modes each can make one map feel like several, because the goal changes your approach to theTeams of 10-12 players conquering the large, exotic maps, that sort of stuff makes the game fun for a dozen hours. Few players used their headsets, but teamwork was still possible. Some maps are DLC and I didn't play those. I would say the game is enjoyable enough without DLC. The different game modes each can make one map feel like several, because the goal changes your approach to the map. I went directly for the multiplayer and kept playing compulsively for around 40 hours. Then I played the campaign. I regret playing the campaign, let me just put it like that.

The reason why the game only receives a mildly positive score: I feel like I wasted time, not learning anything. The player profiles could have been more personalized, with short 'soldier biographies' or whatever. There could have been a team-finder function where you could compete in online tournaments or something. I felt that the primary reason I kept playing was to unlock a few trophies and see what the unlockable weapons would be like. They weren't that much different, though, and I can hardly see myself returning for more rounds now that I finished the campaign and have played all maps and most modes. Been there, done that. It feels weird to not have access to planes, BTW, they are seemingly only in the DLC. And if there were only a handful of players in a match, the maps were mostly empty stretches.
  26. Oct 3, 2014
    Battlefield 4 in my opinion is every way better than battlefield 3. This game is kind of buggy, and the dealbreaker for me was the lost saves during the campaign, but that was the only major problem I've ran into. The campaign was surprising pretty good, especially the characters as they had great personalities, and made the sp worth playing. Multiplayer-wise, I feel like it's easier toBattlefield 4 in my opinion is every way better than battlefield 3. This game is kind of buggy, and the dealbreaker for me was the lost saves during the campaign, but that was the only major problem I've ran into. The campaign was surprising pretty good, especially the characters as they had great personalities, and made the sp worth playing. Multiplayer-wise, I feel like it's easier to pick up and play, just feels like they nerfed the difficulty by a lot especially the recoil of the guns (which for me was good). However it still feels very barebones to me, even with vehicular combat, and honestly don't plan to sink a lot of hours of this multiplayer (to me gets boring fast). So basically a good (but short) campaign, with an ok multiplayer makes this an ok game for me. I'm more into the arcade military shooters (especially for multiplayer), but if you like hardcore military shooters, check this game out, Expand
  27. Apr 19, 2017
    Boring campaign multiplayer still has problems. Rubberbanding, hit detection getting killed by giy with 0℅ **** health this game sucks bad and is embarrement ever since ea tried to compete with cod they killed battlefield
  28. Mar 18, 2014
    Just to be clear on my review, I didn't bother with the single player, as there was few effort put into that of BF3 to my experience and I read it was the same thing with BF4, so I spent my time on multiplayer.
    Now, the multiplayer is pretty good, but all in all I find the experience VERY similar to that of BF3. Just other weapons and slightly bigger maps. BF4 online servers are OK but not fantastic as per stability and bugs (I still fell through a map or had a few gamefreezes). There has been a lot of talk about levolution in BF4, but I can't say I wasn't overwhelmed with what I saw...
    So all in all, if you have the option, go for BF3, it's the better game at the moment at the lower price.
  29. Nov 20, 2013
    Guess Dice, or Metacritic didn't like my review of Battlefield 4...I couldn't do do a third edit to reflect my thoughts on next-gen consoles with Battlefield 4. Battlefield 4 has been out on PS4 for five days now and I can say that the netcode is terrible and conquest and rush are only available occasionally. Firmware 1,51 didn't fix anything in regards to Battlefield. If you bought a Ps4Guess Dice, or Metacritic didn't like my review of Battlefield 4...I couldn't do do a third edit to reflect my thoughts on next-gen consoles with Battlefield 4. Battlefield 4 has been out on PS4 for five days now and I can say that the netcode is terrible and conquest and rush are only available occasionally. Firmware 1,51 didn't fix anything in regards to Battlefield. If you bought a Ps4 to play Battlefield 4 like I did, I can tell you with confidence to save your money. It looks great, but all that is available is defuse and domination online and the netcode really sucks!!!!!! I know that it is a new launch of a console and game, but currently Bf4 on Ps4 is severely lacking. It is the pretty girlfriend isn't wasn't worth talking to. Sony and Dice why would you want to start next-gen with a black-eye? It sucks!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  30. Nov 13, 2013
    Though the new levolution feature is truly remarkable, it must be notified that the graphics seems to take a down-step from it's better-PS3 suited predecessor, Battlefield 3.

A game that would not be recommended to play on the seventh generation of consoles, players should play on the eighth for the actual great & breathtaking experience, it's what the game is designed for.
  31. Nov 19, 2013
    Battlefield 4 is a powerful entry in the multiplayer FPS scene, and improves vastly upon its predecessor. It is somewhat hindered, however, by a alarmingly large number of problems with its online component.

As seems to be the trend with most games in its competitive niche, Battlefield 4 adopts a single-player campaign largely for the purposes of marketing. It's short and provides some fairly impressive set pieces, but brings no advancements in narrative and fails to avoid invoking tropes in shooter campaigns that we've seen so many times.

Of course, it's the online multiplayer of Battlefield 4 that comprises the bulk of the game. It's a robust offering, with extremely developed player progression and deep gunplay and vehicle mechanics that outperforms competing games such as Call of Duty in certain respects. While the "Levolution" feature admittedly loses its charm after you've destroyed the same skyscraper for the third or fourth time, and so on, it's a novel element and a sign that the franchise is indeed still innovating. Player and weapon customization has been greatly expanded upon from Battlefield 3, and a real mix of balanced attachments and guns now make the "best" combination for a kit unclear, encouraging diversity. There have been some controversial moves taken with the kits and their respective equipment, but none that have clearly unbalanced the game. The two new game modes, "Obliteration" and "Defuse," seem to be more competitively-focused, and are welcome additions overall, drawing from concepts that Battlefield fans have been asking for.
    Overall, Battlefield 4's gameplay is superb, and would have merited it a 9 or 10 rating from me were it not plagued by certain problems I'll discuss later.

The graphical quality of the game is amazing, and Battlefield 4 ranks easily among the best of this console generation's games in terms of of visual aesthetics.
    Yes, Battlefield 4 is beautiful, but only when it works. To be blunt, the servers are in terrible condition, and you will often find yourself disconnected mid-game. You may find yourself losing records of stats, kills, stored experience boosts, and so on, with frustrating regularity. Both server-side and client-side patches have been promised to fix these problems, and they can't come soon enough. Speaking candidly, Battlefield 4 is an unfinished product.

One last qualm is with the new "Battlepack" system. EA seems to have placed this in the game as a way to introduce microtransactions into Battlefield 4 similar to Mass Effect 3's, but their purpose seems to have been confused. There's currently no way to purchase them, and yet they come in randomized packs with varying levels of rarity, like a collector's card pack would. The Battlepacks unlock at certain rank intervals, which would be an acceptable system were they not often made inaccessible by the unreliability of the servers.

That's the prevailing issue with Battlefield 4; it's a wonderful game, but only when you're able to play it.
  32. May 6, 2014
    My previous review was a little bad, so i will fix it now. This game is still very good, a lot better than Call of Duty: Ghosts. A few glitches but i still enjoy playing it.
  33. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've played literally all of the Battlefield games, from 1942 to Battlefield 4. Now, I agree with everyone else that the gameplay has been dumbed down A LOT from the first game, but I have to say, this game is quite satisfying if you have time to live through all of the freezes and corrupt hard drive checks. It's also runs a lot better than the beta, as the graphics have been upped and most of the game-breaking glitches have been eliminated. People say that its literally Battlefield 3.5, that's kinda true in a way, seeing as the graphics can't be improved a whole lot from BF3. But the gameplay has been completely revamped, so don't expect this game to play the same as BF3. Conclusion: Buy this game if you can stand the crashes etc. If not, get a next-gen console, upgrade to a PC (even more crashed BTW) or stick with COD. Expand
  34. Jul 17, 2014
    1st of all no I will not compare it to cod at all. Well at release it was buggy crap but now its sort of stable. its playable but has bugs and glitches still. the story is missing when, what, and why, also you have to play it to get all the guns in multiplayer. the multiplayer is good its not mind blowing but its good my main issue is that if your in a building with invincible walls you1st of all no I will not compare it to cod at all. Well at release it was buggy crap but now its sort of stable. its playable but has bugs and glitches still. the story is missing when, what, and why, also you have to play it to get all the guns in multiplayer. the multiplayer is good its not mind blowing but its good my main issue is that if your in a building with invincible walls you can easily camp or be camp over and over. Also why do support get LMGs and only support? Also if you don't have an origin account no battle log. Expand
  35. Jul 21, 2014
    SP:
    Campaign was too short, too easy (even on Hard) and was just boring. The missions felt rushed, empty, and really lacked creativity. Easily one of the worst campaigns I've played.
    MP: Levolution was a feature was pretty cool when I first started playing, but it quickly became bland and boring after a while. Hit detection is incredibly bad, weapons seem imbalanced and the
    SP:

MP:
    Levolution was a feature was pretty cool when I first started playing, but it quickly became bland and boring after a while. Hit detection is incredibly bad, weapons seem imbalanced and the controls are awkward. The entire game is filled with a slew of bugs and glitches that make the game less enjoyable.

If you're going for Battlefield: Hardline, you might as well stay on BF3 or BF4. Knowing EA DICE, it'll be just as buggy and just as bad.
  36. Apr 30, 2014
    too many rendering glitches on PS3, paid the 10 bucks so i could play it on my PS4 and now it does fantastic, so just play it or upgrade it to the PS4 cuz the PS3 just gives you bugs and glitches all day.

examples, some areas i would go into would have shadows from light going on and off, i would run up to some bystanders on the street and they would still look like they havent loaded in yet like i was 50 feet away and then i slowly watched them get more defined, same thing with a bookcase, was blurry and couldnt see anything and then it slowly loaded and became a bookcase.

all those problems are gone now that i play it on the PS4 so just buy it and play it on that, i hope you are not currently stuck with it on the PS3
  37. Aug 27, 2014
    i'm not a hard core BF player but it seems that the games are getting better as they progress, An improvement from BF3 for sure, and way better than BF2. i mean i rather play "COD ghost" because it's faster paced but this tactical game has it's moments.

I feel the vehicle controls are a bit harder making the game require a little more skill, as in BF3 the pilot could be a half blind monkey that has a bad case of flees, while in BF4 everything is a bit more sophisticated and flashy but has the same main structure as BF3.

Tips: If your on foot your dead. (find a vehicle)
    don't fly a jet their slower than BF4.

overal this is a game that you may buy or may not. their are better games out there and worse, i suggest renting it before you play it. 5.8/10
  38. Aug 24, 2014
    This game could easily earn it´s score of 80, if EA would give Dice a little bit more time to fix the glitches, but sadly all the time of Dice is going on BF Hardline and DLC:s
  39. Oct 6, 2014
    It's like they took all the wonderful things of battlefield 3 and threw them on the ground and stepped on it and served it for 60$. What happened to the wonderful setting and fun of battlefield 3?
  40. Sep 21, 2015
    This game is only good in hardcore mode. in hardcore mode it is fair. because when in hard core mode, when the player dies it's their fault. They were in the wrong place at the wrong time because they weren't being strategic. And when the player get's a kill it's fair because they were using strategy.

The "normal" game modes however are not good at all. For one thing normal game modes have been dumbed down for the 6 year olds who play this game. Health regeneration is painfully slow, so it's common that a player will find themselves in the situation of having next to no health, and then getting into an engagement with an enemy player that has 100 percent health. This is not fair at all and it's obviously because that EA obviously thinks that all the players are mentally slow people who get frustrated when any sort of challenge comes out of the game.

The campaign of this game is not anything to get excited about. the story is not solid and makes no sense. and the campaign only lasts 4 hours. So it's probably not a good idea to come into this game expecting a 5 star campaign experience.

All in all, it's really important to understand that the hardcore game modes are the best here. The normal game modes, like said earlier, pander to the 4 and 5 year olds who play this game. And again, the campaign mode is nothing to get excited about
  41. Nov 22, 2015
    Well guys i really like the game the graphics are good plus the sounds r good hell even the multiplayer i enjoy playing besides there is one thing that i hate about the game is that the game on the multiplayer keeps on glitching were i cant move at all but i can shoot my gun but i cant kill anyone but the ppl can kill me and i cant do anything about it which pisses me off if they fix thisWell guys i really like the game the graphics are good plus the sounds r good hell even the multiplayer i enjoy playing besides there is one thing that i hate about the game is that the game on the multiplayer keeps on glitching were i cant move at all but i can shoot my gun but i cant kill anyone but the ppl can kill me and i cant do anything about it which pisses me off if they fix this than ill enjoy the game a lot more Expand
  42. Dec 1, 2015
    great potential, BUT... a study in frustration: I play solo campaigns, and when tucking behind the corner of a wall for cover, a "team member" almost always jumps in front, blocking my line of sight...whoever thought this up is a MORON. Also, in a firefight, team members almost never seem to "have your back" when enemies blind-side you, come up from behind, etc.: team members with a cleargreat potential, BUT... a study in frustration: I play solo campaigns, and when tucking behind the corner of a wall for cover, a "team member" almost always jumps in front, blocking my line of sight...whoever thought this up is a MORON. Also, in a firefight, team members almost never seem to "have your back" when enemies blind-side you, come up from behind, etc.: team members with a clear line of sight on enemy never seem to shoot at them, and are generally terrible shots... virtually useless. I like a challenging game, but both the Battlefields I've bought are more frustrating than challenging. Expand
  43. Jun 30, 2016
    Um jogo competente,gráficos bonitos e a jogabilidade que todos conhecem,um ponto negativo foi a campanha...muito curta,apesar de saber que é um jogo focado no multiplayer,mesmo assim deveria ser mais extenso o modo singleplayer.
  44. Sep 17, 2016
    EA는 들어라...그렇게 playstation3가 어려워?배틀필드4는 pc, 차세대 기종은 좋지만 현세대 기종들은 문제가 많다..예를 들면..탱크를 탔을때 조준경을 확대하면 조준경이 계속 아주 약간씩 움직이고,grass가 있는땅인 고퀄리티 텍스쳐를 보게 되면 가끔씩 화면이 번쩍이거나,또한 텍스쳐가 갑자기 사라지거나 깜빡이는 등 에다가 좋지않은 그래픽 등 대충만든 표시가 난다..EA는 들어라...그렇게 playstation3가 어려워?배틀필드4는 pc, 차세대 기종은 좋지만 현세대 기종들은 문제가 많다..예를 들면..탱크를 탔을때 조준경을 확대하면 조준경이 계속 아주 약간씩 움직이고,grass가 있는땅인 고퀄리티 텍스쳐를 보게 되면 가끔씩 화면이 번쩍이거나,또한 텍스쳐가 갑자기 사라지거나 깜빡이는 등 에다가 좋지않은 그래픽 등 대충만든 표시가 난다..

1. Nov 12, 2013
    To blow COD out of the water, they will need a more polished game than this. Perhaps the next-generation will provide it.
  2. Nov 11, 2013
    So there you have it, the current-gen version of Battlefield 4. To be honest, it’s not a huge leap forward over Battlefield 3. It looks slightly better but performs slightly worse.
  3. Nov 8, 2013
    The really unfortunate thing with this Premium nonsense is that the greater body of players are made to feel like they're travelling in economy class, so that the core fans can be milked. I'm not anti-DLC, but the way Battlefield Premium constantly thrusts at you just feels grubby. It's not a nice way to treat paying customers, and it's a pity to see it besmirch such a great game.